Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2014 4:29 AM

Jan 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I watched the movie today in the cinema. It was great, much better than I expected ^^

It was really unexpected that Subaru appeared at the end and the sniping scenes were great!

Jul 11, 2014 1:26 AM

Nov 2007
I watched at the theater, too, since it is premiered this week here.

So it’s related to a group of American snipers. The main killer and the reason for the incident worked together to avenge on the captain, who is the last target of 5, that set him to bad name.

It shows that Subaru guy somehow connects with FBI (the phone call after ecerything’s done and before that techno ED). Well you might already know who he is in recent chapters, though.

As usual, the notice of next movie for next year has also been announced.
tsubasaloverJul 11, 2014 6:14 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 11, 2014 4:13 AM

Jun 2008
Saw it subtitled in english on an ANA flight.
Iit was to me, a great plot for a multi-episode crime, but a bit of a deja vu for a movie - with the major setpiece change from the tokyo tower of movie 13 to the bell tree tower.
Plot slightly disconnects since I didn't know how Subaru/Akai was already revealed to the FBI director, at least it wasn't explained in the anime yet.
Also... Conan in this movie doesn't feel childish at all, everyone - especially the police force - apparently now considers his input seriously, a cat-out-of-the-bag moment felt imminent. That and Conan now can do action stunts better than james bond, parkouring from cars to cars and jumping off from 10 meters off a bridge like it was nothing. Not to mention the flying kick at the denouement of the movie.

In short, imo is at most a moderately decent conan movie - the plot doesn't feel compelling, conan is not what I expect for some of the high end action scenes, and tokyo imo is a really bad set for giving a unique feel conan movies - a unique feel that I do slightly expect from a featured length film.

I know it'll continue to being played on ANA flights in english subtitles at least until the end of this month, for those who really can't wait and don't want to learn japanese like me ;p
Aug 8, 2014 9:11 AM

Sep 2008
Watched the movie yesterday at the theater.
Had to go all the way to Hiroshima to watch it tho :(

Ever since the movie started, it was made very clear that the focus will be on Akai, Sera & Subaru.

Mouri's fear of heights was super funny.

Conan is flying in most of the movie like crazy... This was a bit too much to take and I really thought to myself "What the hell?!"

Also, too much English for a Japanese movie, regardless of the plot.

Now that I'm done with criticizing, let's actually talk about the movie.

The movie is about the Navy Seals.

Timothy Hunter has his mind set on killing 4 guys and so the countdown begins with dices... 4, 3, 2.... 5?! It's a countdown... NOT! Aha, it wasn't a countdown and although Timothy is kinda involved he's not the sniper. Heck, he can barely see.

Sera's love for Conan is so apparent in this movie.
She almost gave up her life to save him the second time.

Cool snippets:

Sera to Ran: "A bullet can't pierce Conan's heart. Or yours either, Ran."
"After all, the only one able to snipe your heart is him"

Subaru talking to James after turning off the voice changer around his neck, is his real voice!: (Shuu's voice): "了解!"

and many others.
I couldn't help but laugh at so many different scenes.

Conan, good luck painting those miniature buildings lol.
Haibara: "Your hands stopped moving!"

Overall, amazing movie.
I believe it surpasses movie 13 and so it's my best DC movie so far.
It will get the attention it deserves.

5/5!

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Aug 15, 2014 7:41 AM

Nov 2012
Watched this on AFAID today!
Great movie. Nice comedy. It's been a while since I watched the Conan series.
Oct 1, 2014 12:43 PM

May 2012
Damn I wasn't expecting them to get this much screentime... Hmm...
Oct 4, 2014 9:55 PM
Jul 2018
akai shoots much better
Oct 5, 2014 10:36 PM

May 2012

I knew that Akai Shuuichi = Okiya Subaru from the manga but I think this is the first time that they revealed it in animation :"> I feel so happy. BUT I WANT MORE!
Oct 5, 2014 11:25 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hmm, Conan was way super human in this movie, more than any of the previous movies or the series :/
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 6, 2014 12:17 AM

Aug 2013
That sniping performance put on by akai at the end was awesome to watch.

But I gotta agree that they went overboard with professor agasa's gadgets in this one and also conan's ability. I mean the dude went up 60 feet in the air like twice in this movie, maybe even more, and landed perfectly safe with a semi-broke board haha.

Anyways great movie 9/10, looking forward to the next one.
Oct 6, 2014 1:33 AM

Dec 2011
Awesome movie.....love it so much that i will be certain to watch it again another time.Full of action pack movie and the confirmation in anime about Subaru=Akai Shuichi.
Sera was awesome for that one and Conan is OP too much OP.Oh forget about Ran awesomeness in last minute....i wouldn't want to get her angry.The best thing about this movie is that everyone participate in it with the FBI and police well little of Mouri.
Oct 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Oct 2013
So I guess the next upgrade from the professor is going to be a flying extension for the skateboard... Well it's only going to be a small upgrade seeing how Conan can already kind of achieve it with the current board. They seriously need to dial it down a bit with the flashy gadgets and the too extreme stunts... With some clever creative use of simple objects they could have obtained the same result.
Oct 6, 2014 4:24 PM

Nov 2010
The movies always like to add tons of superhuman stunts. This might have had the most though.

That English was pretty bad but better than what's usually in the series(at least we didn't have to hear Conan's, I still cringe at the thought of that London case).

I wonder if the FBI guy knowing about Akai being alive is canon. I don't remember anything like that in the anime. Knew he was going to get revenge once he showed up at the hospital. Thought he would have taken the shot that he talked with Jodie about. They got me with that. Though the guy can still say the name of the guy who shot him, that's not good.

No foreshadowing whatsoever that he had the firework ball was there? But the new lights were like always quite obvious that they would have a part in it.

I figured it was that one guy as soon as they said he committed suicide. And really that scene with Conan on the bridge was bullshit. Like yelling on a bridge with a little LED light would alert someone on a train. Turning his back to a sniper he was asking for it and it felt forced just so Akai would come out.

Everyone still acting like it's normal that a 7 year old is helping out with an investigation.
Oct 6, 2014 9:15 PM
Jul 2014
It was a pretty good movie. But they went way overboard with Conan's stunts. He could be an acrobat now. It looks cool and all, but really...
It was also so strange to see the adults discussing the investigation with Conan, when usually they'd just chase him out. I can let that slide though.The English was bearable I guess. Better than the usual at least.Otherwise, the case itself was pretty good, until it got a bit too obvious when they revealed that Hunter committed suicide.

However, it was much better than what I expected, and Ran's karate scene near the end is a plus!
Oct 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Mar 2010
The whole point of the movie was likely to prove that Subaru is Akai in disguise.
Topkek.

Mr7Beans said:

It was revealed in the anime before the movie.

which anime episode was this shot refers to?
yukaru00Oct 7, 2014 2:01 AM
Oct 7, 2014 5:16 AM

Dec 2011
yukaru00 said:
The whole point of the movie was likely to prove that Subaru is Akai in disguise.
Topkek.

Mr7Beans said:

It was revealed in the anime before the movie.

which anime episode was this shot refers to?

They didn't say that Subaru was Akai but show that Subaru eyes is the same as Akai...well i think it was at the end of the Bell Tree Express arc
Oct 7, 2014 8:42 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Great movie.

Gotta pick up actual series again :D Haven't watched actual series for a year.. kinda fillers started to bore me.
Oct 7, 2014 10:45 AM

Mar 2008
I must be a horrible person cause I wanted Waltz dead and got pretty annoyed that Conan interrupted him... I was actually rejoicing every time the sniper completed killing one of his targets :x

The mystery here was too easy and Conan felt kind of useless this time :/ well maybe not useless just kind of stupid. & Ran was annoying as always... too OP at the end, I mean, against a former seal? lol ok w/e
Didn't enjoy this as much as I hoped I would, so I'm giving it a 3/5
eternaltortureOct 7, 2014 10:53 AM
Oct 7, 2014 12:54 PM
Mar 2011
So, I watched the movie. It was ok, but I didn't like some strange scenes. Like pursuit scenes, Conan Mario-style jumping scenes... Really, I thought he was going to die when he jumped in the sky, but he somehow managed to survive. Now it seems that he has powers comparable to Luffy. Ran looks extremely stupid when she makes that "kamae" (the pose) and when she fights.

The unusual thing is that there were not really a mystery because the culprit killed himself and everything was revealed without things needed to be solved... So it was more like an action movie, which was also not bad.

The good thing is that the usual Ran / Shinichi moments didn't take too long and didn't feel too much out of place.
Oct 8, 2014 1:38 AM

Apr 2012
I liked this movie especially because they introduced Sera and Subaru to this Movie and also the FBI gang. While it's hard to follow for all the people who stopped somewhere in the past episdes/Chapters it was really nice to see them in action.

Conan having super stunt powers is part of all movies and nothing new and this is a reason why I love all the movies :3

And seeing Subaru sniping was the best part of the movie. But I have to say this wasn't my favourite, so I'll give it a solid 9.
Oct 8, 2014 9:36 AM

Jun 2010
Kind of an aloof, shallow movie. There's not really any character that have any real emotional involvement in anything. It's just playing out a murder mystery with the expected stable of characters. The recent Lupin III vs. Conan film had a lot more personality.

I guess it's way too late to complain about what's become a series staple, but that whole "drawing a pentagon with sniping locations as vertices" was so absurd it's impossible to take seriously. Why does every movie villain need to be carrying out an intensely esoteric self-indulgence? Well, to give Conan something to figure out, I guess. But why can't the detective story be even a little bit more naturalistic? Conan doesn't do detective work so much as solving something like a page from a puzzle book.
Oct 9, 2014 1:11 AM

Sep 2013
^agree 100%
Throughout the whole movie, I literally yelled "WTF" so much I lost interest in the mystery. I'm all for mystery but this time was all bs albeit entertaining action scenes.

Oh and if you did not figure it out from the movie, SUBARU is AKAI SHUICHI. Lol the movie really shoved that in the audience's faces.

In the end though, I had a lot of fun. One of (if not) the biggest action packed movie in the series. Also congrats on the English accent. Semi-annoyed me but hey if wasn't that bad.

8.5/10
The advocate of [i]equality[/i].

"Imagine if the air we breathe was a drug and makes us see a dazed, weird version of the world,
and people took 'drugs' to try and see the true world and that's why its illegal..."
-EPICBOXSKILLZ
Oct 10, 2014 8:01 AM

Sep 2008
Watched the movie today. It was great, but I'm little confused on some details. The trailers made it seem like the culprit had discovered Shinichi's identity, and that Shinichi was going to get amnesia... yet neither of these things happened in the movie :S Well, regardless it was still a pretty good movie, with finally some spotlight for the FBI, but it just feels like a bit of false advertising to me.

Still awaiting an epic Black Organization vs. FBI movie :3 C'mon guys, make it happen! XD
Oct 10, 2014 9:25 PM

Mar 2012
*sigh* why is Conan always acting like he's Superman.
Oct 13, 2014 5:28 PM

Jan 2012
Most enjoyable conan movie i've ever seen for now
lol the black guy Murphy's voice doesn't match at all

That was Memorable voice at the ending.

Oct 14, 2014 1:19 PM

Jan 2010
i dont read the manga, so i might be wrong (no clue if its already known there tho), but it seems like subaru really is akai shuchi. his voice at the end when he was on the phone with james black of the fbi sounds exactly like shuichis.

pretty awesome scene at the end, although the whole movie was good. i really never get disappointed by dconan movies. looking forward to the next one :)
Oct 15, 2014 6:41 AM

Dec 2011
Love the twist of this movie... but after watching Conan, the cases has just become more and more predictable.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2014 9:53 PM

Nov 2012
Good movie overall. A solid 7/10 from me. Would have given it an 8, but once again, we see a 16 year old girl able to completely disable and take down a military trained Navy SEAL who has actual combat experience. Not 100% pure shit.

I mean, could they find some other way to shoehorn Ran into the story that doesn't involve irritating shit?

Well heres to hoping movie 19 is just as good as the rest to date. And now the long wait for release and the longer wait for subs. GG
Oct 24, 2014 9:59 PM
Apr 2011
after reading the comments i think a lot of people have forgotten that the guy Ran beat had a gun shot out of his hand twice with the first time causing an injury to his hand. this would have weakened him a bit. on top of that he was also likely still partially blind due to the night vision goggles so when the gun was shot out of his hand the second time it allowed Ran to fight back. Thats my reasoning into how a "16 year old girl able to completely disable and take down a military trained Navy SEAL who has actual combat experience"

anyway i really liked the movie. This is the third out of the 18 movies i have given a 10/10 with the other 2 being movie 6 and movie 13
Oct 25, 2014 9:59 PM

Dec 2010
I know that the movies is considered non-canon (Ex. Kid knows Conan is Kudo) but still revealing that Subaru is Akai is a little bit early... And I think it spoils a lot, especially for those who are just picking up this show. Though for some of us, who watched un until the latest release, it could be inferred or deduced that Subaru is Akai and that Sera is the imouto of Akai
Nov 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Nov 2009
Pros:
- the early death of the presumed culprit made the story quite interesting
- the story was not about bombs for the 4869th time (although the staff did manage to shoehorn one into the end of the movie)
- the obligatory ShinichixRan and 'Ran needs to be saved by Conan' moments weren't too long
- Subaru and Ran owned the guy pretty nicely :]

Con:
- the action scenes were absolutely ridiculous,the movie was practically a fantasy
Dec 1, 2014 9:55 PM
Sep 2014
Smooched said:
*sigh* why is Conan always acting like he's Superman.

Guess what? Conan is Superman

The begiing was too much for me, i was like "is it Conan or The expendable anime version"

The plot was decent, lack of some realism, they did not even dig about the past, find some information. Basically, at the end, they did not even know the reason of the murder before Waltz confessed his crimes.

i can't say i dislike it, so i would give something like 7.5. I think the movie lack of some feeling, i did not really feel involve in the movie, as someone said it was closer than an american police drama as NCIS (especially with the seals :p) or whatever than a Conan.

KissqtDec 1, 2014 9:59 PM
Dec 12, 2014 4:06 AM

Feb 2012
Good movie
the sniper was a bit childish
and conan was fabulous once again. Agasa should work for the military at this point
Akai confirmed <3
eternaltorture said:
I must be a horrible person cause I wanted Waltz dead and got pretty annoyed that Conan interrupted him...

same here jail is not enough for scum like waltz

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Dec 15, 2014 3:12 PM

Dec 2013
1. Conan too op
2. Gadgets too op
3. "Everyone acting like it's normal that a 7 year old is helping out with an investigation."

I disliked this movie, imo the second worst Conan movie (16 is the first) :/

6/10
Jan 21, 2015 7:13 AM

Mar 2014
This movie started off really good. I also really liked the ending.
The middle had good pacing, but the English voice acting was super cheesy, and most of the English dialogue also just sounded like corny one-liners. XD

I definitely liked how they tried to tie it into the main storyline, with Sera and Subaru. I also thought it was really surprising when they said that Subaru was from the FBI. I'm not sure if that's something that's in the manga or not, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time they mentioned that in the anime. Pretty surprising that they'd reveal something like that in a movie with an anime original storyline.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 6, 2015 9:33 AM

Mar 2012
Just finished the movie, the main case was pretty interesting, but I didn't like lots of details, Conan's super-heroic moves for example, like .. wutdafuk!

AllenVonStein said:
Most enjoyable conan movie i've ever seen for now

lol, wut ?
Jun 10, 2015 10:42 PM

Jul 2011
That voice change to Akai blew me off my seat. Totally forgot that Subaru was implied to be Akai but that scene really surprised me!
Aug 7, 2015 7:37 AM

Mar 2015
That was nice.. kind of weird though but okay.

Sera even though she have a big picture in the poster, have little role in the movie other than being meat shield for Conan.

Subaru is Akai.. well some people are gonna spoiled with that lol.

Conan is hanging out with FBI members like everything is normal~ without Mouri's constant blabbering.

Sep 16, 2015 7:09 AM

Nov 2013
The mystery is intriguing, the engrish is quite good, Akai is cool as always. The rest? not so much.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 23, 2016 5:37 AM

Oct 2011
I'm still at the first 10 minutes but I really needed to complain - what was up with that showiy performance at the beginning? And Conan endagering the vehicles around him all the time? It turned into a cheap Hollywood action movie - explosions everywhere, everyone looks as dangerous & badass as possible & everything else apart from the MC exists solely to be destroyed or killed :/

May 19, 2016 7:20 AM

May 2014
This movie was good! But overall it was kinda weak compared to the previous movies tbh
Poor Ayumi though she's always the number one hostage everytime by culprits XD lol
May 23, 2016 12:18 AM

Jul 2012
It's kinda... Bland, mystery wise. Like everything was kinda hard to comprehend and when the culprit was revealed, I was like "huh, okay"

But the action scenes where Subaru was trying to snipe Yoshino was super fun to watch. I really felt the thrill there. I wish this movie would have been more simple with the mystery and focused on the thrill more :/

6/10

Onto the 19th movie tmr~
Aug 7, 2016 3:43 PM

Mar 2016
why are nazi crosses on the map? :O
Aug 25, 2016 4:37 AM

Jul 2008
This might be my favorite Conan movie now, 9/10.

The plot was pretty good, could not figure out the culprit till the end, but I figured on Hunter was being set up as the fall guy.

My only real complaint was the super insane unrealistic stunts performed by a 7 year old on a skateboard. Good grief that was too much even for me, but looked cool though.

Oh also, hai there Akai.
Feb 23, 2017 6:02 AM

Feb 2016
What a terrible plot , this is by far one of the worst conan movies i ever saw .

hamanito said:
why are nazi crosses on the map? :O

Maybe its an old map from ww2 lol , glad i am not the only one who noticed it though .
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Jul 9, 2020 4:34 PM

Nov 2016
Was really engaging through the entire run, one of the better movies for sure.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 26, 2022 4:12 AM

Nov 2021
Dang, thatws a lot of action sequences. Not complaining, those were excellent and well-animated. this was good !!!

I died when the sniper stopped speaking english and suddenly spoke Japanese 🤣

Jul 20, 2022 9:28 PM

Jan 2016
Am I the only one who’s wondering why they allowed Ran,Sonoko,Sera, and Conan to the FBI meeting at the beginning? Like even Mouri being there was kind of weird, but the young ones being there? Didn’t make sense.

Dec 14, 2022 5:50 PM

Jan 2012
Woof, I'm sorry to say it but I really had trouble getting into this one. Probably my least liked of at least the last four or five Conan films. As their first film appearances, this seemed to go to great lengths to showcase Sera and Subaru. They both end up saving Conan's life at separate points in the movie. I didn't mind Subaru in the climax, but as someone who finds Sera just okay I didn't enjoy her extended screentime. It seemed largely to be at the expense of Ran, my favorite of all the females. She's largely absent in this one except for the aforementioned climax. Even that was sort of a mixed bag for me though. I've long wished Ran beating the tar out of the villain would close out a movie, and here it actually kinda sorta happens, but only after making her look bad, ugghh. The action scenes were a bit on the weaker side in this one too. Too dependent on gunplay which I've never been big on. That and the skateboard. I feel like Conan used his skateboard more often in this one movie than in the rest combined. Well, I exaggerate...but only slightly. I will admit that, as ludicrous as it was, the opening sequence of Conan on the skateboard avoiding traffic before being picked up by Sera(come to think of it I forgot she saves him here too so she actually saves him twice in this movie!) was the best action sequence in the entire film. Visually and with regards to excitement. But perhaps the truly fatal flaw was the actual story. As an American myself I couldn't help but cringe at all the bad Engrish we got here. It wasn't even used consistently either. Why, during a pivotal flashback in the film's climax, are two American soldiers going over their plans alone together...in Japanese? Especially when we got so much Engrish earlier. I figured out the culprit by process of elimination halfway through too, but honestly I didn't care too much. Which can be said for the entirety of the plot really. It's an unfortunate way to end the year, but this was likely the worst of the now 4 Conan movies I've seen this year. Hopefully the new year is better for me on that front. 3/5.

Oh, and it feels like poor Camel sure gets shot a lot, huh?
May 26, 2023 3:57 PM

Jul 2013
I guess we've gone full action at this point huh. The murder mystery is only an excuse to get there. Almost all of the investigation was done in the form of exposition dump. I doubt the culprit had more than 2 minutes of total screen time before the reveal.

They even turned Conan into a single-digit IQ shounen protag by making him rushed into the bullet's way without any further plan. Multiple times. When the guy on the train was shot, Conan could've put the ball in the sniper's face, or at the very least attempted to see who it was. Nope, trying to notice the victim WHILE STANDING DIRECTLY IN THE LINE OF FIRE was the best solution he could come up with.
JustMonakaMay 28, 2023 3:03 PM

More topics from this board

» Is this going to be subbed anytime soon?

appleyard - Sep 22, 2014

3 by appleyard »»
Oct 6, 2014 4:36 AM

» Link to RAW or SUB?

PetiteAni - Sep 30, 2014

1 by Mayuka »»
Oct 5, 2014 5:35 PM

» Teaser trailer

seikipunch - Dec 7, 2013

17 by jfblade »»
Jun 3, 2014 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.