3It was OK
2.8%
2Disliked it
0.9%
1Hated it
1.9%
Average 4.8
212 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 9, 2009 1:20 PM

Feb 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow. By and large, this is (along with Gunbuster) the best ending to an anime that I have EVER seen.

A 5 out of 5 doesn't suffice. It's more like a 20 out of 5.

May 24, 2009 5:33 PM

May 2009
ArnoldK said:

Wow. By and large, this is (along with Gunbuster) the best ending to an anime that I have EVER seen.

A 5 out of 5 doesn't suffice. It's more like a 20 out of 5.

I agree with everything in your post. Gunbuster's ending has always been my personal favorite. Having just finished Maison Ikkoku, I found the ending to be incredibly satisfying.
Jul 4, 2009 6:43 AM

Feb 2009
I just gotta wonder, who's the total nutjob who gave this episode a 1 out of 5?

Jul 10, 2009 2:31 AM

Apr 2008
To me, the entire series peaks at episode 94. Everything to come after was just a matter of playing out the end game.
Jul 18, 2009 1:57 AM
Jul 2007
PolleyPower said:
To me, the entire series peaks at episode 94. Everything to come after was just a matter of playing out the end game.

I agree, that is where they should have ended the series. They didn't need to spell out the last two episodes like they did, they could have just shown clips during the ending credits.

However, it was still a nice ending.
Sep 28, 2009 5:19 AM

Aug 2009
PolleyPower (Male) said:

I agree, somewhat. I went back and watched 94 again cause it was so good. 95,96 was just good closure.

What really didn't need to be made was the awful OVA, The Final Movie.

it's always nice (and i find it rare) when an Anime can end properly, wrap up it's story. And since I watched Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 right before Maison Ikkou I was doubly thrilled that the story could be told completely.
Sep 28, 2009 6:24 AM

Apr 2008
Haterot said:

I agree, somewhat. I went back and watched 94 again cause it was so good. 95,96 was just good closure.

And very necessary closure. It definitely makes it a better series overall to see their relationship play out that far.
Oct 5, 2009 8:39 PM

Feb 2009
PolleyPower said:
Haterot said:

And very necessary closure. It definitely makes it a better series overall to see their relationship play out that far.

I have to agree, ending it at 94 wouldn't have been enough, I would have been WAY too hungry to see everything play out and what happened to everyone.

Hell, even -with- the wedding, the baby, and the epilogue showing what happened to everyone else, I'm -still- curious as to what happened to the characters in the following years!

Nov 19, 2009 1:09 AM

Jun 2009
Great series that was immensely satisfying. Probably one of the best anime I've seen, romance or not. Kyoko and Godai are fantastic characters, maybe the best couple I've seen in anime. And the last few episodes from 93 on just hit me with beautiful moment after beautiful moment.

10/10
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 27, 2010 1:54 PM

Oct 2009
LOL yagami wasn't invited to the wedding i hate that bitch
Mar 18, 2010 12:51 AM
Aug 2009
haha. too bad for Yagami ;\
Apr 24, 2010 5:34 AM

Apr 2009
One of the best series ever, and the ending is moving, and beautiful, great stuff. I'll agree 94 is a favorite, very satisfying, but 95 and 96 are great too.
Aug 9, 2010 1:21 PM

Oct 2009
This was fun to follow, I'm glad I watched this. Gonna miss them all! =)
Aug 13, 2010 7:09 AM

Sep 2008
I was wondering what happened to Yagami. She like... disappeared. Her devotion is very admirable. If I had my way, Kyoko would die in the future and Kira would remarry with Yagami, a match made in heaven.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2010 5:37 AM

Jun 2007
What disappointed me was there being no scenes where Kyoko discovered she was pregnant and, then, told Godai the news. He loves kids, and the way he looked at Kyoko so lovingly as she looked after the two kids from the cabaret club would've made it the perfect lead-in to him crying with joy/thanking her.

I can't distinguish between my fantasies and what was included in the manga, at this stage. Part of me thinks there was a scene like that in the manga. But another part recalls the timeskip, Kyoko turning up at Maison Ikkoku with a baby, and the series ending. I'll have to re-read to check.

It's too bad that Kyoko's lines got removed in the anime - lines where she confessed to having loved Godai for too long to remember when she started and told him he was the only one for her now; casting his fears over Soichiro aside by doing so. With the anime ending how it did, it was clear Kyoko loved Godai but it also appeared as if he had no chance of becoming as important to her as Soichiro, which made me feel a little sorry for him, after all he'd been through to get her.

On another final episode note, the wedding not being a typical vows + kiss affair, and instead involving an ugly looking baggy dress and water/sake (?) sipping, left me feeling unemotional/disconnected - just like with the manga. I guess that's not really the fault of Takahashi but more to do with me expecting what I'm familiar with, but still...

Just so that I can get in some further Kyoko bashing, before finishing up with my sub-forum spamming, I find it somewhat amusing that she was what you could best describe as the villain of the series. Mitaka was always far too comical with his phobia of dogs to ever view too negatively, and - if anything - I was left feeling sorry for him after seeing Kyoko string him along for the entire series, without reason. If not for Kyoko leading on a love rival, acting like an immature child over her feelings, and being a hypocrite to such an extent that she'd attack Godai for doing the same as her, or expect to be trusted and then show no trust in return, there would have been no reason for drama - her only needing time to get over Soichiro.

I don't hate Kyoko, and I do love how she was never able to hide her jealousy; eventually reaching a point where she openly acted bitchy due to her feelings being so deep-rooted (the part following Kozue's kiss.) But, as I've said numerous times already, Takahashi came very close to ruining her character by having her act like she had a split personality disorder whenever Mitaka was involved - transforming from fiery/uncontrollable to timid and easy to push around. Had she acted like she did with Godai throughout, and not done something as despicable as lying to Mitaka about her feelings so as not to lose him (56), she'd be one of the best characters ever - that much I will say.

For me, the best parts of the series were those not involving Mitaka, purely because I didn't have to get irritated by Kyoko doing the whole submissive housewife thing. The best episodes were episodic, GodaixKyoko ones - Godai's drunken attempt at bedding Kyoko, him taking in a cat (it being called 'Kyoko Baby' in Viz's translation added to the fun), and the puppet show being my favourite chapters/episodes. And, aside from those three, the part of the story where Yagami was introduced and, unlike any other characters up to that point, put Kyoko in her place over how she abused Godai's love was great.

Typing of which, I would've liked the series even more had Godai ranted at Kyoko over her frequent dates with Mitaka. Since she often went into jealous rages over him doing anything with the opposite sex, despite refusing to get intimate, it disappointed me that her hypocrisy was never highlighted by the man hurt most by it. Had Godai asked Kyoko not to date Mitaka any more if she loved him, and she showed her love by doing so, my respect for her would've risen considerably.

All in all, Maison Ikkoku is a wonderful story; no matter how many times I go through it. For me to get teary-eyed frequently after having already read the manga, it says a lot about how deeply affecting the main relationship is. As does the fact I went on no less than TWO 30ish episode marathons - the most episodes ever watched by me previously in one sitting being 25/26. Kyoko's characterization was hurt by Takahashi abusing her character in order to make the story last for far too long, but that's really the only flaw of note. It's just too bad it was such a bothersome flaw, throughout the story...

I'm going to rate it 8/10 (8.5, but whatever) due to me rating the manga 9/10 and the manga being too flawed to earn top marks. The end of series section was hurt a little by Kyoko's affections being downplayed, for whatever reason, and a number of excellent scenes got removed from the story entirely - the most noteworthy being Kyoko testing Godai by taking him to a love hotel, and him being unable to get it up because he could tell she was thinking of Soichiro. (Just to see that scene before forgetting about MI again, I'm going to re-read the final three volumes, in a bit.)

Edit: Re-read the final three (of 14) volumes of the manga. Since my opinion on the anime's finale has been altered considerably by doing so, here are the thoughts I posted on a friend's profile; spoiler tagged for space reasons:

AironicallyHumanSep 24, 2010 7:42 AM
Sep 29, 2010 7:57 PM
Aug 2009
Aironic said:
What disappointed me was there being no scenes where Kyoko discovered she was pregnant and, then, told Godai the news. He loves kids, and the way he looked at Kyoko so lovingly as she looked after the two kids from the cabaret club would've made it the perfect lead-in to him crying with joy/thanking her.

I can't distinguish between my fantasies and what was included in the manga, at this stage. Part of me thinks there was a scene like that in the manga. But another part recalls the timeskip, Kyoko turning up at Maison Ikkoku with a baby, and the series ending. I'll have to re-read to check.

It's too bad that Kyoko's lines got removed in the anime - lines where she confessed to having loved Godai for too long to remember when she started and told him he was the only one for her now; casting his fears over Soichiro aside by doing so. With the anime ending how it did, it was clear Kyoko loved Godai but it also appeared as if he had no chance of becoming as important to her as Soichiro, which made me feel a little sorry for him, after all he'd been through to get her.

On another final episode note, the wedding not being a typical vows + kiss affair, and instead involving an ugly looking baggy dress and water/sake (?) sipping, left me feeling unemotional/disconnected - just like with the manga. I guess that's not really the fault of Takahashi but more to do with me expecting what I'm familiar with, but still...

Just so that I can get in some further Kyoko bashing, before finishing up with my sub-forum spamming, I find it somewhat amusing that she was what you could best describe as the villain of the series. Mitaka was always far too comical with his phobia of dogs to ever view too negatively, and - if anything - I was left feeling sorry for him after seeing Kyoko string him along for the entire series, without reason. If not for Kyoko leading on a love rival, acting like an immature child over her feelings, and being a hypocrite to such an extent that she'd attack Godai for doing the same as her, or expect to be trusted and then show no trust in return, there would have been no reason for drama - her only needing time to get over Soichiro.

I don't hate Kyoko, and I do love how she was never able to hide her jealousy; eventually reaching a point where she openly acted bitchy due to her feelings being so deep-rooted (the part following Kozue's kiss.) But, as I've said numerous times already, Takahashi came very close to ruining her character by having her act like she had a split personality disorder whenever Mitaka was involved - transforming from fiery/uncontrollable to timid and easy to push around. Had she acted like she did with Godai throughout, and not done something as despicable as lying to Mitaka about her feelings so as not to lose him (56), she'd be one of the best characters ever - that much I will say.

For me, the best parts of the series were those not involving Mitaka, purely because I didn't have to get irritated by Kyoko doing the whole submissive housewife thing. The best episodes were episodic, GodaixKyoko ones - Godai's drunken attempt at bedding Kyoko, him taking in a cat (it being called 'Kyoko Baby' in Viz's translation added to the fun), and the puppet show being my favourite chapters/episodes. And, aside from those three, the part of the story where Yagami was introduced and, unlike any other characters up to that point, put Kyoko in her place over how she abused Godai's love was great.

Typing of which, I would've liked the series even more had Godai ranted at Kyoko over her frequent dates with Mitaka. Since she often went into jealous rages over him doing anything with the opposite sex, despite refusing to get intimate, it disappointed me that her hypocrisy was never highlighted by the man hurt most by it. Had Godai asked Kyoko not to date Mitaka any more if she loved him, and she showed her love by doing so, my respect for her would've risen considerably.

All in all, Maison Ikkoku is a wonderful story; no matter how many times I go through it. For me to get teary-eyed frequently after having already read the manga, it says a lot about how deeply affecting the main relationship is. As does the fact I went on no less than TWO 30ish episode marathons - the most episodes ever watched by me previously in one sitting being 25/26. Kyoko's characterization was hurt by Takahashi abusing her character in order to make the story last for far too long, but that's really the only flaw of note. It's just too bad it was such a bothersome flaw, throughout the story...

I'm going to rate it 8/10 (8.5, but whatever) due to me rating the manga 9/10 and the manga being too flawed to earn top marks. The end of series section was hurt a little by Kyoko's affections being downplayed, for whatever reason, and a number of excellent scenes got removed from the story entirely - the most noteworthy being Kyoko testing Godai by taking him to a love hotel, and him being unable to get it up because he could tell she was thinking of Soichiro. (Just to see that scene before forgetting about MI again, I'm going to re-read the final three volumes, in a bit.)

Edit: Re-read the final three (of 14) volumes of the manga. Since my opinion on the anime's finale has been altered considerably by doing so, here are the thoughts I posted on a friend's profile; spoiler tagged for space reasons:

nice makes me wanna actually read the manga now. It was disappointing that
I though that would of added more on the character development that was seen throughout the series. I heard they also cut some characters which sucked.
Sep 30, 2010 7:17 AM

Jun 2007
The only character cut was a worthless fella called Nikaido. He moved into MI, got focused on for half a volume or so, and then faded into obscurity - only appearing in the odd panel or two to comment on events. His character had no value, so it's a good thing he only appeared in Final Chapter, rather than the TV series.

In case anyone wants to see the full ending, starting with the love hotel scene and followed shortly afterward by the complete version of the actual sex scene (where it isn't just the morning afterl): http://manga.animea.net/maison-ikkoku-chapter-75-page-4.html

(FYI, this scene occurred after the 'I... HATE YOU!' scene, following Kyoko running out of the bar and Godai chasing her. In the manga, Godai confesses to Kyoko in front of a love hotel, and...)
Dec 27, 2010 9:59 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
What a wonderful story and a great anime. They sure don't make them like this anymore.

After reading Aironically Human's comments. I think I'm going to check out the manga.

Unfortunately, the most important question of all is not answered:

What does Yotsuya do for a living??!!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 3, 2011 7:01 PM

Apr 2009
And so it ends.
Its been a long ride, admittedly marred by much frustration. Godai's insufferable lack of competence and backbone, the tenants' nearly callous behaviour towards him, Kyoko's weaknesses especially when combined with her reluctance to forgive Godai's own, the nearly unlimited series of retarded misunderstanding upon retarded misunderstanding, all these and more had me contemplating even dropping the series many times over, yet somehow I kept going.
The few well-executed bittersweet or comedic scenes every now and then, the excellent melancholic tunes, the last few beautiful episodes, Maison Ikkoku is definitely not going to end up in my favourites, far from it actually, but even with all its weaknesses it still had its moments and I'm satisfied I bothered to stick with it till the end.
Jan 4, 2011 12:06 PM
Sep 2007
8/10

Yuusaku being loser as he is ruined series for me.
I was rooting for Mitaka, though it was obvious she would end up with Godai.

Series had some great moment, and I even thought of rating it with 9, but aside from Yuusaku and his presence, anime was unnecessarily too long and fillerish.

Yotsuya and Akemi are probably the best characters in it.

Also, Norio Wakamoto voicing Master...
I don't know, they should have give him role with more lines.
May 29, 2011 9:05 AM

Jan 2010
Aah, I can't believe it's already over, I wanted to watch this forever. The last few episodes were particularly emotional, because everything was unraveling so fast. Mitaka went out of the picture suddenly, Kozue got engaged and Godai finally made serious progress with Kyoko. Sweetly, yet bitterly, everything boiled down to a happy ending in a true mono no aware fashion.

Surely Rumiko Takahashi's finest work, I'll remember Maison Ikkoku as one of the greatest romantic comedies of the 80s.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Jun 18, 2011 9:41 PM

Feb 2010
Psajdak said:
8/10

Yuusaku being loser as he is ruined series for me.
I was rooting for Mitaka, though it was obvious she would end up with Godai.

Series had some great moment, and I even thought of rating it with 9, but aside from Yuusaku and his presence, anime was unnecessarily too long and fillerish.

And so it ends.
Its been a long ride, admittedly marred by much frustration. Godai's insufferable lack of competence and backbone, the tenants' nearly callous behaviour towards him, Kyoko's weaknesses especially when combined with her reluctance to forgive Godai's own, the nearly unlimited series of retarded misunderstanding upon retarded misunderstanding, all these and more had me contemplating even dropping the series many times over, yet somehow I kept going.
The few well-executed bittersweet or comedic scenes every now and then, the excellent melancholic tunes, the last few beautiful episodes, Maison Ikkoku is definitely not going to end up in my favourites, far from it actually, but even with all its weaknesses it still had its moments and I'm satisfied I bothered to stick with it till the end.

Agreed. Season 1 teemed with genuine emotion, but that faded as the series dragged on. By episode 40, I began skipping episodes out of disinterest. Takahashi knows how to make her audience smile, but even the most creative run out of ideas given 40 hours of runtime.

Seconding ep. 94 as a stopping point. I'm not fond of montage endings. Eps. 95-96 are closer to a family video than a conclusion, and "after" stories are best left to a viewer's imagination.

MI is frustrating, fun, and filled with moments. It's a worthwhile show for those who pick their episodes, but I'd never suggest watching all of it.
Aug 24, 2011 3:51 PM

Jun 2009
Alas86 said:
And so it ends.

I kind of feel the same way. I personally find the ending a bit simplistic. but it was ok I guess
Aug 24, 2011 4:00 PM

Jun 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
I was wondering what happened to Yagami. She like... disappeared. Her devotion is very admirable. If I had my way, Kyoko would die in the future and Kira would remarry with Yagami, a match made in heaven.

Yeah I don't know what to think about that. It looks like a loose end that was overlook. She like just disappeared at some point very much the same way that Nanao disappeared for some time while Yagami was active. In fact it's almost a pity that the two characters only met once - during that baseball game only. I think there could have been so much more to it. I'm not even sure why they included that Yagami scene in the end wherein she still achs for Godai - was a bit gross. Like they are just trying to mend all the loose ends in the plot.
Jan 8, 2012 10:32 AM

May 2008
Great anime, it took a lot of episode, but they got there. The best anime from Rumiko Takahashi
ClosedCXJan 8, 2012 10:37 AM
Jan 20, 2012 3:57 AM

Sep 2008
It was an okay ending, I thought. I liked it enough and found it satisfying, relative to other disappointing endings I've seen in anime series.

It was a long journey though. In some ways, it feels like they could've gotten to this point earlier (by doing something else beside just cutting out filler), but I won't complain too much.

Good, solid romance series!
Mar 29, 2012 4:40 AM

Oct 2011
oh, the anguish!!! best romance anime/manga of all time, and now i've finished the anime (finished the manga years ago) - so no more maison ikkoku - great and beatiful ending with lots of tears and joy.....seems like this has been in my life forever...guess i'll just have to watch it again someday....
Jun 25, 2012 5:51 AM

Jan 2010
Good anime !
Great end ))
Jul 19, 2012 3:20 PM

Oct 2009
Very satisfying ending!
Kyoko was beautiful at their wedding, it was nice to see how everything tied together. I'm a little disappointed with how little they gave us on Yagami's conclusion, but I'm glad they at the very least mentioned her. This anime is indeed a gem from the 80's, granted it certainly shows it's age, so many times where a cell phone would have come in handy lol, but it had a storyline that made it all worthwhile.
And yeah I figured we'd never actually get to see Soichiro's face...
El Psy Congroo

まだまだだね!!!
Jan 5, 2013 7:12 PM

Apr 2011
I literally wanted to smash the wall at some points, even considering dropping it. I'm glad I didn't. I agree with you AironicallyHuman, Takahashi abused the characters. I'm still so fucking relieved about the ending being this good, one of the best. As I was going insane during a lot of episodes, I'm feeling almost as happy as Godai. lol ^^ Nah, I think Godai is way, way happier. Like he should be.
NefaynJan 5, 2013 7:19 PM
Mar 18, 2013 6:11 PM

Mar 2013
This is a great anime! One user who shall remain nameless said they skipped a lot of the middle episodes! BLASPHEMY! You probably missed all the great episodes with Yagami where she was trying to seduce Godai, they came around the middle point and were hilarious. Loads of other great episodes too, it was always charming, usually highly entertaining, and sometimes spectacularly hilarious.
Another user mentioned that they were rooting for Mitaka! What? Seriously?
The guy was a player, he was smug, had the flash car, ridiculously handsome (worst part he knew it)...... Godai all the way for the win! Mitaka was intolerable.
This remains without question the greatest and most believe romance story ever in anime, it shows real character depth and relationship progression. It puts the so called romance anime of today to absolute shame.
Aug 5, 2013 7:09 PM
Aug 2007
That was easily one of the best endings to an anime I've ever seen, so extremely satisfying. I'm happy that they had a child together (although, like someone else said, I also wish I could have seen Godai's reaction as he got the news of her pregnancy). I'm also glad that we got a little epilogue on the other characters (would have never though Akemi ended up with the owner).

I'd give this a 9 or 10, but tbh I really didn't enjoy the abuse of misunderstandings throughout the series, nor did I like how the three tenants were so rude to Godai at times. I did enjoy watching the love between the two main characters blossom over time though, I think that part of the story was handled very well, we got to see a slow but steady progression in their relationship as Godai went through all the hard work to become a respectable man with Kyoko's help.

This'll definitely be an anime I remember really fondly.
Nov 24, 2013 5:08 AM

Jul 2012
I'm glad they didn't stop at 94. To many end at the confession or kiss. But I wish they had more after that. Sorry for wanting more love and romance then tears and heartache. I love seeing loving couples interact with each other.
Jul 2, 2014 11:32 AM

Mar 2010
I totally started to tear up as everyone arrived back at the house and said "I'm home" just like Godai would everyday to Kyoko.

Wonderful series, it's rare to find such rich characters in the world of anime.
Aug 11, 2014 5:55 AM

Jun 2014
[quote=insan3Spectre]Great series that was immensely satisfying. Probably one of the best anime I've seen, romance or not. Kyoko and Godai are fantastic characters, maybe the best couple I've seen in anime. And the last few episodes from 93 on just hit me with beautiful moment after beautiful moment.

My thoughts exactly
Jan 17, 2015 7:20 PM

Jun 2008
Man oh man, if only every anime could end as perfectly as this one! Everything was brought to a great closure. I even loved how the story kept going even after Kyoko and Godai became a couple.

Kinda felt sorry for Yagami, and Mitaka had twins wow! Kyoko and Godai forever though! Started to get teary eyed when they remembered how they first met at the end. Bringing back fond memories of the first episode. Maison Ikkoku, you are by far one of the best anime out there. :)
Apr 24, 2015 9:29 AM
Oct 2008
Ive got very similar feeling as AironicallyHuman. Anime adaptation is far from flawless but there is so many engaging scenes that compensate it more than enough for me to look at MI as one of the best shows Ive watched. Could have been even better if some very important passages from the manga wouldnt have been skipped including all sexual content. Now Im (in the middle of) reading the manga after watched complete anime. In such context it makes the adaptation to feel too much serious :/
About Mitaka, I think this character had decent potential, but after him giving a week to Kyoko to make her decision, his continuing efforts felt even more dragged out than before. The most satisfying moment regarding Mitaka is the scene in his room at his parents house with Asuna telling him in the manner of "happiness isnt a matter of 1st or 2nd places" which as I believe made him to realize something about himself.
And a few words to the ending. Well to me it felt somewhat rushed too. Such disproportion in time flow not only like 95 episodes covering 5+ years and last one episode following 2 years but also lets say whole last arc of 10+ episodes.
5618NINgenMay 3, 2015 10:22 AM
May 22, 2015 7:59 PM

Nov 2014
Everyone moved on and got a good ending except Yagami, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! oh wow that was so SO worth it, she was so deluded it was almost sad (almost being the keyword)

Because she is the worst character on this entire show, not even exaggerating. I didn't mind her too much at first, mostly she seemed to serve as an example of how Kyoko's perception of Godai had changed from the early episodes, remember when Yagami tried to seduce Godai in the shed, Kyoko found him with a half naked student and she didn't even blink because by that point she had total faith in him.

But then she came back again and then again and again, and the whole teen stalker thing got increasingly irritating and it just felt like they were forcing her back on the show just for the sake of it not because they had any new interesting stories to do with her.

And then there's the issue with her motivations, if I remember correctly the reason Yagami wanted to be with Godai in the first place was that after yet another misunderstanding she mistakenly believed that Godai was a widower and she wanted to heal his wounded heart and teach him to love again and all that cheesey crap, ironically that's the same reason Godai wanted to be with Kyoko.

Again I originally liked her because of stuff like that, that's quite a noble goal much better than the average teen girl who usually only wants to fuck an older man to prove how adult and mature they are. Now I don't think Yagami ever realized Godai was never married, she did however learn about Kyoko and her dead husband and that's where her little infatuation should have ended because when she decided to compete against Kyoko she pretty much said that she a 14 year old highschool student knew how to handle a widower better than a actual fucking widow and that is just extreme levels of arrogance.

And then there's her fucking fans, people who watch so much modern anime that their used to the highschool girls winning all the time and "old hags" like Kyoko only being there for fanservice, that is if there are any girls over 20 at all. You've seen em around theirs even one in this very thread, and by the way there's nothing admirable about refusing to move on from your silly highschool crush when even Akemi of all people is finally settling down

OK since I spent so much time ranting about the stalker brat, I'm gonna have to keep this brief, I liked that Kentaro and Ikkuko finally aged, the fact that Kentaro stayed a little kid throughout the entire show and Ikkuko disappeared entirely at some point really bugged me. I loved the whole graveyard scene really touching and emotional and just very well written.

And in general the finale was pretty much perfect, the show as a whole on the other hand I'm not so sure about, well to save time since I spent so much of it ranting about Yagami I'm going to say that my overall opinion on the show is pretty close to Alas86.

Jul 4, 2015 10:33 PM

Dec 2014
Wow, it's finally over. A really great episode and a very satisfying ending. Episode 94 is the best IMO, and the series made it through to my favorites.

Maybe gonna read the manga from that hotel scene ^^ 10/10
Jul 21, 2015 2:58 AM
Jul 2015
I really hate Kyoko cause she gone out with 2 boys at once, she loves Goudai but also go to date with Mikata, whats wrong with that bitch? Seen all this fucking long series and only 1 episode I have seen them kissing, not my type of romance!
Aug 18, 2015 8:32 AM

Aug 2015
One of the best Slice of life and Romance anime I have seen, a cast of characters that in time grew to love, long but with a perfect ending nonetheless and many emotions present that really take grip of the viewer and give the characters a more humane approach than in any other animation. All in all, a masterpiece of Rumiko Takahashi.
Aug 21, 2015 10:45 PM
Aug 2015
In my opinion, the ending of the anime was not perfect in comparison with the manga because of the scenes that were left out. The ending of the manga, on the other hand, was perfect IMO. The only thing they could have added, was more material from goudai's and kyoko's future, since I love these characters so much. I really love this manga and I have to say that it is the best romance story that I have ever read. I wonder what kyoko and goudai are up to in the future? Probably fighting over some misunderstanding, haha, and being eternally happy:)
Oct 23, 2015 7:59 AM
May 2015
No one can't erase Soichiro from his/her mind, the whole story centres around him. This is the most complete end I've watched. It was very hard to find Maison Ikkoku since it very unpopular but I'm very happy to be able to see an anime like it. Thank you Rumiko Takahashi for this beautiful charming anime. I wish it had more episodes or sequel but every good thing has an ending. This show deserves its position on favourite list.
Oct 23, 2015 8:08 AM
May 2015
danthom1704 said:
I'm glad they didn't stop at 94. To many end at the confession or kiss. But I wish they had more after that. Sorry for wanting more love and romance then tears and heartache. I love seeing loving couples interact with each other.
Definitely it is the best ending ever. The last two episode made the anime so memorable, you won't find another anime like Maison Ikkoku.
Nov 23, 2015 10:59 AM
May 2015
There were times I was going nuts while watching this series. I was so frustrated over Godai's and Kyoko's behaviour. Right now I'm crying out loud in my room, the ending was so sweet <3
ShaerieNov 23, 2015 11:05 AM
Dec 27, 2015 3:33 PM
Feb 2012
Oh, man... Been watching this show pretty much every day for the past month, and now that it's over I really miss it. I can't remember the last time I felt this way about a series.

I'll never forget that ending, which is sad because it means I don't think I'll ever be able to re-watch the show. It just isn't the same when you already know the outcome. That part where Kyoko goes on vacation for a few days kept me up super late one night even though I had to get up early in the morning, because I had to know how it'd work out. Good times.
Jan 4, 2016 1:25 AM

Dec 2014
ok so much feelings were build up in the end episode I really liked the show overall. I was frustrated happy and sad truly a worth watching anime
Mar 24, 2016 8:50 AM
Nov 2015
AironicallyHuman said:

As for your last question in the spoiler, Kyoko was always being polite to not so close people. She acts as the polite and straight gal. She was aggressive with people she wants or feels close to, like to her parents she shouted at them, or Soichiro-san she was the actively pursuing him.
May 15, 2016 8:37 AM

Jan 2013
I must admit, the anime can be frustrating and annoying most of the time but I can safely say it is worth it in the end to see them finally together.
Time to move on to the Manga!
Jul 25, 2016 11:23 PM

Feb 2014
It certainly was a long, sometimes tedious, and above all a frustrating ride that at one point made me hate pretty much every character in the show and not just those 3 insufferable assholes who are some of the worst characters I've come across in any anime. But the final few episodes ever since Mitaka got rejected by Kyoko, more than made up for all the anger and frustration the show made me go through. Warts and all, this definitely deserves a 10 in my book.

And then there's Kyoko, who even though made me rage with her hypocrisy, indecisiveness, and most of all, the way she always quietly accepted all of Mitaka's advances, even though she had no feelings for him pretty much from the beginning, I just can't bring myself to hate her, especially the jealous, angry and stubborn Kyoko who is just too adorable. The episode in which she runs away to her parents house and waited for Godai to come pick her up, all the while acting almost like a child, had some of my favorite moments from the show.

Like when she was hiding on the couch when Godai came to pick her up.

And especially when she started wiping the window pane because didn't know how to react when she got caught red handed waiting for Godai, after constantly denying it.

Also, what I liked about this show and older anime in general is that, even though I haven't read the manga, going by the direction and cinematography, I can tell that the studio put effort into properly adapting and transforming the source material in a way that it would fit the medium of animation. Unlike the majority of anime coming out these days, it felt like a proper TV show, rather than an "animated manga".
VhailorJul 26, 2016 12:45 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 10 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 3, 2011

31 by Playcool »»
Apr 28, 8:12 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 19 Discussion

meneope - Jun 19, 2011

34 by Playcool »»
Apr 27, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 12 Discussion

hellogoodbye - Jun 4, 2011

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 6 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Oct 25, 2009

29 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Maison Ikkoku Episode 4 Discussion

good-time - Jul 28, 2010

20 by Playcool »»
Apr 26, 5:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.