Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 6, 2009 1:05 PM
Dec 2007
Wow, the character design so hurts my eyes... Still, the direction is pretty original (though it will start becoming less interesting after some episodes, just like School Rumble I guess) and the rythm is very dynamic so far. Apart from that, the concept of the anime is really great and original and the characters are properly introduced. On top of that, the episode was quite fun and cool, and so were the OP/ED. I guess I'll at least give it a chance, but I fear it will get boring really soon (no script in sight whatsoever).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 6, 2009 1:54 PM

Apr 2007
I only decided to watch this because Sugita has a part, but it's not that bad. Hajime is an annoying brat however the time jumping was very amusing. I'll keep watching this show as long as it doesn't bore me~
Apr 6, 2009 5:33 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Seishi said:
Yes, I will follow and enjoy this series in my corner. Anyone can join me.
There may be a few more joining you in that corner -- possibly me included ^^

I have to agree with what others said, that the char designs threw me off at first, but I really got used to them by the end of the ep.

Spade said:
I like the fact that the reason they travelled back in time was actually because they travelled back in time already.
Agreed.
Apr 6, 2009 8:45 PM
Jul 2018
Was considering watching this knowing how much i loved ef series and maria holic being decent... guess i won't now after reading the comments.
Apr 6, 2009 8:49 PM

Feb 2009
At first I was not really enjoying this(art, lack of explanation for the characters), but the explanation for the scream at the very end, at the very least, will make me watch episode 2.
Apr 7, 2009 7:43 AM

Apr 2008
I have only one thing to say "wtf?" °__°

Anyway, I lol'ed when in the cafe you could hear the japanese version of an italian song "volevo un gatto nero" XD

Apr 7, 2009 2:02 PM

Nov 2008
Hmm... I thought it wasn't too bad. The art looked kind of ugly to me, though. The opening and ending themes weren't too bad, though the opening sounded slightly... odd. Hopefully something slightly more exciting will happen.
Apr 7, 2009 2:15 PM

Jan 2009
Arashi has appealing legs and boobs.
Apr 7, 2009 6:47 PM

Jul 2007
I love this show's style; it felt like I was watching something from the 80s, but computer-animated. Hajime's kind of a lame character, but I like Arashi a lot so far and the supporting cast seems fun (Jun is ADORABLE). The thing is... I'm not quite sure what this is supposed to be about. It felt like a random filler episode in a long series -- which would be great if it was a filler episode in a long series, but as a first episode it's hard to care about what's happening. If the whole series is like that it will get old fast, but if a plot kicks in it could get awesome.

Crazy thought: since there's time-traveling in this, could they be airing episodes out of chronological order? I doubt it, but then again Haruhi did well and this really didn't feel like a first episode...

Also, way to give us a million shots of Arashi's stomach, guys. An interesting sort of fanservice, that.

oh, these little earthquakes
Apr 8, 2009 1:46 PM

Aug 2007
Kineta said:
Seishi said:
Yes, I will follow and enjoy this series in my corner. Anyone can join me.
There may be a few more joining you in that corner -- possibly me included ^^

I have to agree with what others said, that the char designs threw me off at first, but I really got used to them by the end of the ep.

Spade said:
I like the fact that the reason they travelled back in time was actually because they travelled back in time already.
Agreed.
I just might join you as well!

As has already been stated, a very different character design then you're used to seeing, but i got kinda used to it and enjoyed the episode explaining itself, so to speak.
Apr 8, 2009 2:05 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
God that was random, but enjoyable.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 8, 2009 2:17 PM

Feb 2008
Pretty weird anime. But well,

Take it easy.

Hooray for Kaya. >:3

Apr 8, 2009 2:36 PM

Feb 2009
i like non-linear plots but this is too much. i liked it, although i think the art could have been more like that of the manga.... enjoyable episode though
Apr 8, 2009 3:01 PM

Jun 2008
I thought it was OK, nothing jaw-dropping though. Art style is a little weird, but as people were saying, you get used to it.

It's worth sticking it out for a few episodes, for my love of SHAFT, and because of the remainder of this weak season.
Apr 8, 2009 6:17 PM

Nov 2008
I don't get it
Apr 8, 2009 9:27 PM

Feb 2008
De-JaY said:
Pretty weird anime. But well,

Take it easy.

Hooray for Kaya. >:3

I literally burst out laughing when I saw that. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught that.
Apr 8, 2009 11:04 PM

Mar 2009
It was only so-so. Was expecting something a little better as well.

At first sight the drawings/animation made it seem like I was watching an older anime, lol.

I will keep watching to see if it gets any better tho.
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Apr 9, 2009 3:51 AM

Jul 2008
The animation style was worse than I originally thought it would be. But honestly, by the end of the episode, it kind of grew on me. Grew on me in the sense that it didn't annoy me as much. Eh, even if I don't enjoy the animation style, the storyline seems intriguing enough to maintain my interests for 13 episodes.
Apr 9, 2009 12:14 PM

Jul 2008
didnt want to watched it first, but now i dont regret it a bit.
kinda crazy with all those dont meet up with themselves but the explanation later was great.

Apr 9, 2009 6:34 PM

Jul 2008
I found it good, I laugh a lot.
Apr 9, 2009 7:58 PM

Jan 2008
Well... I'll continue this, this anime is WEIRD. But, it's SHAFT. So, I'll continue watching it.

On the other hand, Jun is absolutely adorable. ADORABLE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 9, 2009 9:06 PM

Dec 2008
Random but zomg time jumping makes this a lot more interesting. :D

There is nothing in this world more ugly than imperfection
Apr 9, 2009 9:26 PM
Nov 2008
references of OP
Apr 9, 2009 11:53 PM

Jul 2008
Opening sucked and animation style wasn't that good either but I still enjoyed this. Time traveling was interesting subject and characters were funny (everyone else expect Hajime)

Apr 10, 2009 1:49 AM

Jan 2009
kenken55 said:
references of OP

That is nice.
Apr 10, 2009 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
I've just read all the hate on the first page for this show, I'm pretty shocked by it actually :/

I love the character design, It doesn't conform to the baby faced bishoujo character design that all other anime have been going with lately, It's something different, like Kaiji or Kaiba.

I also loved that they didn't explain anything about timeskipping, It made it feel more hectic and absurd (It's not like this is a naruto style shounen where everything needs to be explained to the viewer).

The actual animation style was great too, the abstract lighting they put in every scene and the subliminal fanservice (those parts where Arashi's belly button is flashed for a few frames). It was a brilliant first episode imo, Fast paced, ridiculous and unique :3
removed-userApr 10, 2009 6:32 PM
Apr 10, 2009 8:52 PM

Sep 2007
Female faces will take some getting used to, and it doesn't exactly scream "brilliant" to me, but it's not something I'm going to instantly drop like... oh, the last 5 series I tried.

Guess I'll see where this goes.
Apr 10, 2009 9:18 PM
Mar 2008
First episode was pretty fast-paced for me, but awesome XD
It'll take some time for me to get used to the artwork, but oh well o.o
Lol @ Episode revolving around strawberry shortcake
Didn't expect time travel o_o

&& YAY FOR MAGICAL CLOTHING TRANSFORMATION :D
Apr 11, 2009 12:00 AM

Jun 2007
minirop said:
I love the manga very much, so I hated this f**king shit that is called "anime".
cheap animation/chara-design, no storyline, too different from the manga.
Look like more like a "Dragon Ball Evolution"-like >_<

I actually hated the manga. The story and character design in the manga where pretty bad too.
Apr 11, 2009 12:33 AM
Nov 2008
I read that the first episode of the anime was based on Chapter 18 of the manga.
Apr 11, 2009 6:01 AM

May 2008
lol this show was awesome ,dunno why ppl hate this show time travelling is pretty interesting

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 11, 2009 11:54 AM

Aug 2008
The only thing I liked is the set up for the payoff at the end. Other than that, I don't really like it.

I really don't understand why the women look like men though.
Apr 12, 2009 9:20 AM

May 2008
I don't know...
Apr 12, 2009 2:12 PM

Apr 2009
The character designs are awful. It was OK, though.
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Apr 12, 2009 2:18 PM

Aug 2008
The drawing isn't good, however it seems interesting.
Apr 12, 2009 6:35 PM

Jan 2007
Silly episode is silly. I like it. Just great how all that was because of a strawberry cake lol. And I gotta say, I totally love the OP.
Apr 12, 2009 8:25 PM

Mar 2009
Not a great start, had a few funny moments, but overall lacking. It's going on-hold, I'll probably marathon it sometime in the future...Urahara Out!!
Apr 13, 2009 3:09 AM

Jan 2008
Not SHAFT's usually style but it was ok once you get used to it.
Interesting episode even though nothing happened.
Apr 21, 2009 1:46 AM

Jan 2009
another zetsubou reference 8DDD
i might watching this one, after maria holic maybe this show can show some laugh
Apr 25, 2009 8:35 AM

Oct 2008
I had quite some expectations of the series..

Time paradox, I don't like the theory. If you encounter yourself, you will cease to exist. Reminds me of the game I played awhile back...

Shadow of Destiny. I got ending D which is also the bad ending.
Apr 25, 2009 8:25 PM
Dec 2008
Plz someone tell me what kakete is... if i hear the word one more time and don't have a clue what it is i'm gonna go crazy...
Apr 25, 2009 10:00 PM
Nov 2008
kakete (かけて) is the "te form" of kakeru (かける), which has many homonyms.

1. 駆ける: to run
2. 賭ける: to wager/to bet/to risk/to stake/to gamble
3. 懸ける: to hang/to construct/to sit/to offer (as a prize)/to put (one's life) on the line
4. 掛ける: to wear/to put on/to hang/to pour (water)
5. 翔ける: to fly
Apr 26, 2009 7:34 AM

Sep 2007
wasnt actually going to watch this, but i checked on here, and a few people were saying it was quite good :P so i checked it out, and was pleasantly surprised. good stuff.
May 1, 2009 4:03 PM

Jul 2008
spineslayer said:
I thought it was good. The animation isn't bad i think...they just did differently than other anime. I think it makes it unique to others. The best part is how everything fell into place with time is changed. Can't wait to see what the next episode will bring
well,it alright i guess^^ lets just see what happen next^^
May 14, 2009 8:01 AM

Jan 2008
bloody brilliant!
long time since I've been so amused by an anime - no wait - last time was Maria+holic and before that, school rumble (Coincidence? I think not).
To all the haters out there, whom appearently are many-fold and unpleasently loud - give it a break please! Imo. it is refreshing to see an artstyle that does not include supersize breasts and extremely pretty girls with more hair colors than a bloody rainbow. Not that I dislike those styles, but I feel it has been overused.. alot! It seems some people forget that more than one artstyle exist...
As for the characters - none seemed stereotypical to me. Even the maincharacter boy, which struck me as one of those bloody annoying you-know-types from all harems, was actually a decent human being. Though it was hard to say much from just this one episode.
Either way - I liked the subtle humor, eventhough I did not catch all the references and the time-travelling theme, albeit not that original, was really well implemented. I hope they keep up this quality.
~five exclamation marks is the sure sign of an insane mind~
May 16, 2009 3:32 PM

Sep 2008
iWant some Strawberry Cake nao =/
Also iBelieve iSaw a Yukkuri.
Jun 8, 2009 3:28 AM

May 2008
I expected the story to be wacky. I knew that since they showed the alien pointing his gun at people. XD It's SHAFT, so anyone who's seen Pani Poni Dash or Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei would know that this craziness is not uncommon. Besides, there’s still 12 episodes left to develop a story.
Jun 14, 2009 1:39 AM

May 2008
Interesting! I always watch 2 episodes of an Anime before rendering a verdict but this one has potential. Random thoughts:

I love the old school look and feel of the artwork and I LOVE the floor of the coffee shop.

Just the thought of the Strawberry Bomb (wisabbe and pop rocks! LOL!) was enough to crack me up, but the scream of anguish at the end was a killer.

Time travel changes a woman's clothing to a school uniform? Steven Hawking needs to be informed.

'Shades' may be just a little too macho for me. I can see him being the target of more pranks.

Big laugh at the closing credits; clearly an ipod commercial when suddenly you see her holding what can only be an icassette. Good to see Apple getting a smack on occasion.
Jun 18, 2009 6:16 PM
Jun 2008
minirop said:
I love the manga very much, so I hated this f**king shit that is called "anime".
cheap animation/chara-design, no storyline, too different from the manga.
Look like more like a "Dragon Ball Evolution"-like >_<

Cheap animation? The character design sucks balls, but you cannot say that the background art is by any means cheap. It's bloody gorgeous. The colouring, the scenery, the shots used--it looks spectacular. Just because the character design is really bad doesn't mean the entire art for the series is bad.
Jul 14, 2009 8:04 PM

Jul 2008
I love shoneny shonen art. The episode started so great that the rest kind of slowed down. It's for free on crunchyroll so for sure I'll stick with it.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Moar attention

Alycen - Jul 9, 2009

12 by eblf2013 »»
May 1, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rabids0ap - Jun 28, 2009

53 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 21, 4:23 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - May 25, 2009

53 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 20, 5:58 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 4 Discussion

yunadestined - Apr 26, 2009

44 by eblf2013 »»
Apr 18, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Natsu no Arashi! Episode 12 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jun 21, 2009

26 by FMmatron »»
May 30, 2022 1:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.