Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 20, 2013 3:49 AM
Sep 2007
Until not that long ago, I was one of those guys who when played Tekken used those usual moves without too much thinking, and it was fun for a little while when I would visit my friend.

Then I started training moves in Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, and I must say I grown quite addicted to learning some more complicated, as well as better looking attacks than those you can see when randomly button-mashing.

I've known for Xiaoyu since Tekken 3, but considered her movements stupid compared to typical Hwoarang kicking; boy, did it surprised me how fluid she looks when you try adding some harder combinations of buttons.

Now, I'm playing Dead or Alive 5, as well as Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters, and I'd dare say spending time training more complicated combos is sometimes even more exhilarating than winning against opponent with button-mashing.

How about you guys?
Oct 20, 2013 3:51 AM

Mar 2012
I prefer using Yoshimitsu than Eddie. Button mashing is having easy to see patern.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Oct 20, 2013 4:13 AM

Jul 2013
As a fighting game enthusiast, it's all about combos and esp air combos. You go practice and first find the launchers(get your opponent into the air) of that character in any game is a must(the more adv. stuff like parrying and throw escapes is all about timing and practice) and then test out what moves will keep your opponent to stay in the air as long as possible. This is known as juggling. One launcher I like using with Xiaoyu is diagonal down forward x,y(360 version). Then I follow up with x, down y or simply just tapping x twice. Finish up with her backflip move( back up diagonal a+b and you got yourself a nice looking 4 hit combo. Haven't played in a while though, planning to buy the original Soul Calibur on XBL so I can re-live my glorious 8-10 hit combos with Xianghua, good times...good times.
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Oct 20, 2013 5:06 AM

May 2010
Mishima family :P & Leo
Oct 20, 2013 5:34 AM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
I love fighting games.
I play UMVC3 (Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3) as my main game, but picking up Street Fighter: AE as well.

These games do not tolerate button mashers, as people who play a lot more will know more about when to punish certain moves.
Oct 23, 2013 8:32 AM

Apr 2013
learning combos.
Executing combos within the Street Fighter series and Marvel vs. Capcom franchise is so damn satisfying.
Oct 23, 2013 1:03 PM

Feb 2013
There's a reason my car is named Blue Mary.

KoF was built for combos.
Oct 23, 2013 1:13 PM
Mar 2011
memorzing and command list takes no skill

memorzing legit combos that you gain the skill to use bub yor own skill is that but this comes froman arcade prustist who has anver once look at a command list [un less forced like in some console games that give you tropies or what ever for compalting command traning]

iv enver use easy imput systems and i mainy still play in arcades
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 23, 2013 1:19 PM

Oct 2013
I prefer learning combos. In a game like street fighter, which I play, button mashing gets you nowhere.
Oct 29, 2013 7:23 PM

Oct 2013
button smashing is fun if you decide to play the game casually and with just friends.
If you want to be good or play online than you most learn combos and character weaknesses and strengths. Just because a combo is long and fancy doesn't mean it will work that great in real world circumstances. If you go to fighting game websites there should be quick tutorials on the more effect combos and strategy for real world fighting. Also finding a favorite tournament player and studying their tactics will help you improve your game too.
Oct 29, 2013 7:54 PM

Oct 2012
Even successful button mashers need to know a few moves and just repeatedly spam and chain the most obvious moves. If you're literally pressing any button randomly, I don't know how you can win except by complete coincidence, like if your opponent underestimates you and tries to pull off moves that leave him wide open, and you happen to push the right button at the right time.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 29, 2013 7:57 PM

Feb 2010
Learning combos gets you farther than button mashing, though the real thrill of fighting games comes from learning the correct spacing since combos are a means to punish openings.
Oct 29, 2013 8:05 PM

Jan 2012
Being a tekken fan neither one of those gets you anywhere in terms of getting good. Spacing and punishing is much more important than those two. Learning matchups also helps.
you sound poor
Oct 29, 2013 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
I'll speak from a tournament perspective.

You only need a handful of combos though, for those that do tournaments. It's hilarious whenever I see people come into venues with notes and combo lists. The best players need 10-15 combos MAX, they generally can survive off of 4 a fight. Even if the other guy/lady knows what you're going to do, it's just timing. People do too much when they play xD.

3 short combos consisting of 3 technique (x, x, b)
2 medium combos consisting of 3-5 technique (x, x, b, [y, x])
1 long combo consisting of 5+ technique
2 launchers
2 simple counters

Trying to memorize 80+ combos = unnecessary.
Oct 29, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110804102240/streetfighter/images/f/f3/Ryu_and_ken_hadoken_double_hit.gif
Its the year 2053 a girl lays on her bed wearing vintage UGG boots and says, "I was born in the wrong generation" and cries over a One Direction poster while listening to Taylor Swift.
Oct 29, 2013 8:43 PM

Sep 2013
Only fighting game I could really get into would be Super Smash Bros. Melee. Learning combos for your favorite character is certainly your best chance at winning and having fun.
Oct 29, 2013 8:51 PM

Jan 2008
JuliaSpiegel said:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110804102240/streetfighter/images/f/f3/Ryu_and_ken_hadoken_double_hit.gif

http://youtu.be/fT9mXqNirqo?t=57s
Oct 29, 2013 9:44 PM

Dec 2012
Like other people said button mashing won't get you anywhere or win you a match unless you are using Blanka in a laggy online match *shrug*

The biggest enjoyment I get from fighting games is learning combos and executing them, not to brag but I think my execution is pretty great especially since I use a ps3 pad and not an arcade stick and I learn combos fast
Oct 29, 2013 9:46 PM
Mar 2013
Depends on the game but for most of the ones I play it's learning combos.

Shining Force Exa - Button Mashing
Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Learning Combos
Oct 29, 2013 9:50 PM

Jun 2011
layfonkun said:
I'll speak from a tournament perspective.

You only need a handful of combos though, for those that do tournaments. It's hilarious whenever I see people come into venues with notes and combo lists. The best players need 10-15 combos MAX, they generally can survive off of 4 a fight. Even if the other guy/lady knows what you're going to do, it's just timing. People do too much when they play xD.

3 short combos consisting of 3 technique (x, x, b)
2 medium combos consisting of 3-5 technique (x, x, b, [y, x])
1 long combo consisting of 5+ technique
2 launchers
2 simple counters

Trying to memorize 80+ combos = unnecessary.

I just learn the BnBs and the rest are all ad-lib :V

I plan on getting serious with BBCP though, so I might invest more time in learning more+harder combos such that I can output close to optimal damage no matter the situation.

Makoto OD combos are looking so damn smexy :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzprtwveFNU
Revenant_Oct 29, 2013 9:53 PM
Oct 29, 2013 9:54 PM

Nov 2010
Some combos, a lot of mashing.
Oct 30, 2013 5:25 PM

Sep 2013
In most fighting games I enjoy learning combos like in Blazblue Continuum Shift and Super Street Fighter 4, but when I play Tekken Revolution I don't really try to learn combos since I don't how it is in the first place.I would rather buy Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for God's sake I hate how you have to buy Premium Coins just to keep playing, I don't have money for that shit.
FullmetalHaganeOct 30, 2013 5:31 PM
Oct 30, 2013 5:30 PM

Jan 2008
FullmetalHagane said:
In most fighting games I enjoy learning combos like in Blazblue Continuum Shift and Super Street Fighter 4, but when I play Tekken Revolution I don't really try to learn combos since I don't how it's operated in the first place.I would rather buy Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for God's sake I hate how you have to buy Premium Coins just to keep playing, I don't have money for that shit.

Funny because I just did this the other day for my brother. As in bought TTG2 because TR is crap. Lol.
Nov 2, 2014 1:54 AM
Sep 2007
More than a year passed since the last post here, but I found it unnecessary to open the new thread...

Anyway, recently I decided to start playing Tekken series by the time of release.

It surprised me just how fun is the first Tekken, and rather fluid on epSXe emulator with some things that beautify by now dated graphics.

Too bad it doesn't have practice mode, so learning combos can only be done during the normal play.

I'll most likely be playing other fighting game series (as well as other genres) as well in such "release order" fashion - some of the reasons being that I think such order is most correct, plus it's, IMO, nice to follow series' evolution, and getting to know characters and learning their movements better and more natural...

And after catching up with latest released games that usually have online modes enjoying playing against human opponents - unfortunately, it's close to impossible to find someone IRL to play these games with...
Nov 2, 2014 3:09 AM

May 2013
I can't do super long combo's. Too much to remember really. I do however learn all the special moves and learn when to use them in conjunction with all the possible normal moves I can do. Yes, I do still fuss about length and sometimes hitboxs and all that.

Better yet, in a game like Blazblue where it is easy to combo, I do simple combo's that chain various normal attacks with the special attacks. Especially with Makoto I can do 10 hit combo's and above at times That's only when I can get them in though. I take in account for super knock back moves when I want to create distance, etc. It's all about knowing what move to use when, so it's not random button mashing even if I don't know the combos.

In Tekken however since it is impossible to do combos, I just learn all the possible directional attacks and use them intelligently. It's so amazing that there are so many moves with so few buttons. In Tekken I like to use Miguels horse kick to push back opponents who run at me or get too close when I'm cornered, etc. So no random button mashing here, although not many combo's here either.
Nov 2, 2014 4:00 AM
Jul 2018
Button-smashing is fun.
Learning combos only if I feel competitive.
Nov 2, 2014 4:35 AM

May 2012
Depends on the fighting game and if it's competitive or not. For example, I was at a friend's house recently and we played this Fighting game on his Xbox 1 called Killer Instinct. It was ridiculously fun to button mash the hell out of each other and see who ends up winning.

I like focusing on combos when I'm playing MK or Tekken though. Tekken probably being my favorite fighting game.

Nov 2, 2014 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
Olem said:
Depends on the fighting game and if it's competitive or not. For example, I was at a friend's house recently and we played this Fighting game on his Xbox 1 called Killer Instinct. It was ridiculously fun to button mash the hell out of each other and see who ends up winning.

I like focusing on combos when I'm playing MK or Tekken though. Tekken probably being my favorite fighting game.

I recently learned how the KI combo system works (like 2 weeks ago,) and I no longer feel a need to mash them out, it's all about a meta-game where you make them combo break and answer with a Counter Break; that stuff is crazy fun. Like counter breaking a shadow counter? Yeah, love that shit, lol.

The only games I really focused on combos are: SSF4, Third Strike, CVS2, MVC2, Garou, Guilty Gear, and KOF 13. I learned good set-ups and hit-confirm reactions in these games so I feel fine saying I'm competent, lol- been playing for over 20+ years so I better be.

However, I do think that proper ground game and defense is paramount when learning 2-D fighters; I've played lots of people and the first thing they do is jump-in towards me, which gives me a free anti-air hit. My school of thought has always been less is more and only hit buttons when you want to set up a counter-hit; other than that, just play solid ground game and make the other player mess up.

I'm hype for Dengeki Bunko and learning the systems in that game
StonedtanukiNov 2, 2014 10:12 PM
My watch list for anime: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Stonedtanuki

"Let be be finale of seem.
The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream." - Wallace Stevens
Nov 3, 2014 3:26 AM

Jun 2013
DOA5's game is mostly a rock paper scissor contest.

I usually play Tekken because all you need is the basics for the most part. My main is usually King become of his grabs lol. I love using Head Bomber when people think they're safe on the ground.

SchwarzitgiestNov 3, 2014 3:30 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 3, 2014 3:39 AM

Jan 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Some combos, a lot of mashing.
Nov 3, 2014 5:51 AM
May 2009
Both.
there is smart button mashing, and dumb button mashing.
Then there is learning the combos, but its hard to pull off.
Nov 3, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2010
I find perfectly timing a sequence of button presses without any visual queue to be extremely hard, especially in the heat of battle.

That said, I've gotten marginally better at it than I used to be, but nearly everyone online on P4 Arena Ultimax can still kill me.
Nov 3, 2014 9:41 PM

Sep 2013
Thrashinuva said:
I find perfectly timing a sequence of button presses without any visual queue to be extremely hard, especially in the heat of battle.

This is true, but I think when it comes to overall experience then combo inputs become something akin to muscle-memory. Like, if you land a certain normal attack than your fingers just start hitting buttons in the correct time-frame to make the most out of the confirmed hit. If you play a game enough and go into the training room enough you learn how the specific timing works for that particular game; from there, take the knowledge and start playing the cpu on lower difficulties just to get used to the timing and how you react to the moment of hit. Now, it just comes down to time dedication, imo.

I play most of my fighters now with a, "plinking," style of hitting buttons, even if this mechanic isn't present- it's just habitual now from playing SSF4 so much. Also, I guess I should mention I play on an arcade stick, so this method might seem more applicable based off of the circumstances.
StonedtanukiNov 3, 2014 9:49 PM

Nov 4, 2014 2:07 AM

Oct 2014
Learning Combos is a must for fighting game. if you don't know how to combos and how to perform special moves.when there is a chance. you're dead..
When you Hit your Opponent to The air, It's time for an Air Combos !
Hey Dude ! Check out My Profile!
Nov 4, 2014 10:48 AM

Jun 2012
I think button mashing is pointless, i don't really see it as playing the game, you're just smashing buttons and hoping you win.

Combos are great, especially pulling off 1 frame links in street fighter. They are hard to do and i find them highly satisfying when you get it right.

The most impressive thing i find though, is the footsies. Watching top level players play footsies is amazing for me, love it.

So yeah, no mashing, i like the combos and footsies, the way that shit should be played :D
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Nov 4, 2014 10:28 PM

Sep 2013
Mashing is how you open yourself up to damage, never mash, play smart and conservative ;) Learn your best 'normals,' and punish those who test them to keep the game honest.

Combos are mainly for punishing a whiffed special or for effective rush-down maneuvers, no point in perfecting it if you can't hit it within-match. No point. Learn how to hit confirm and then worry about maxing out damage.

Footsies wins games. That's all there is to it. Train your opponent into bad tendencies and punish it. Ask yourself, why bother jumping-in, or why bother risking the life-lead; the solution is always solid ground game through counter-hits and footsies.

@jimbob1141

I hear ya, I watched a bunch of steams where PIE_Zeus (Vega player,) would land some of the sickest 1-frame links for max damage and I would get super hype. Smart play may look boring to an outsider, but to those who understand its the absolute best.

Nov 5, 2014 12:09 AM

Mar 2013
I always learn the character combo while normally playing with the character
through the story/arcade mode, I dont like the combo training modes as they
kinda boring.
also most of the time when i play fighting games i only playing with
the characters i like, like on DOA5U: Kasumi, Ayane, Momiji, Marie rose....
so learn combos is not a problem when u keep and play with the same char.
Nov 5, 2014 6:16 AM

Jun 2014
Button mashing seemed to work fine years ago, but it seems more difficult to get through modern fighting games doing it, which is why I don't play modern fighting games.

Nov 5, 2014 6:27 AM

Sep 2014
Usually combos, since it's more fun that way.
Nov 5, 2014 6:36 AM
May 2009
Its more fun to beat someone with random button mashing then combos, especially if the person spent years playing the same game.
Nov 6, 2014 10:15 PM

Sep 2013
Not to offend, but I would hope that the person who has played the game longer would pick up on the pattern and learn how to zone the masher out. Just saying :) Adapting is a trait that should come with playing games for a long time, so if they just fall into that trap of anger, than I suppose it would be safe to say that they were always free.

Nov 6, 2014 10:17 PM

Jul 2014
Leaning Combos is the way to go/
Because you feel really good after you get someone with it
Nov 6, 2014 10:39 PM

Sep 2013

While training mode is good for learning timing and execution, it's imperative that you learn how to land a combo in a match through reaction speed.

Nov 6, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2008
I would prefer fighting games that don't have combos, but sophisticated mechanics that you can master. That's how I like my action-adventure games. Screw combos.

Nov 7, 2014 4:06 AM

Dec 2007
I prefer combos over button mashing as a general rule. However, what I really like is counters, and that's ALL about timing and prediction. Those are the hardest dimensions of any fighting game. I'll usually learn every character and then get overly familiar with the 10-15% that really suit my style.
Nov 7, 2014 4:27 AM
Sep 2007
Ezekiel said:
I would prefer fighting games that don't have combos, but sophisticated mechanics that you can master. That's how I like my action-adventure games. Screw combos.
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (and probably many other games based on shonen anime) is quite like that.
Nov 7, 2014 10:32 AM

Sep 2011
I'll like to learn combos first. My biggest problem in fighting against players are match ups.

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
3 hours ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
8 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
9 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.