Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 8, 2013 6:41 PM
Jun 2009
aisora said:
The first half was nonsense to me. lol I don't particularly enjoy that kind of action. But half way through this episode, it started catching my attention.

Same here
Apr 8, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2011
Hoping stuff gets better from the next episode forth.
Apr 8, 2013 7:19 PM

Nov 2011
The language thing was confusing, was it was switching perspectives?
Apr 8, 2013 7:21 PM

Mar 2012
I came in with few expectations for this show, and I was actually pleasantly surprised with the first episode. Not sure how I feel about opening the series by immediately throwing us into a big battle scene without any background on the characters or the situation at hand, but I have to admit, it was still a nice sequence to watch (albeit a bit overdone) even though it did lose my interest at times due to a lack of understanding. But the visuals are quite nice in general, and I really liked the setup in the second half of the episode.

I'm liking the lineup of mecha shows we have going here for this season. I haven't delved too much into the mecha genre, so this season is a good chance for me to explore more of it, and I'm definitely keeping this show on my watch list for now.

Tomodachi5 said:

Yeah, I agree. The language barrier was handled rather poorly.
Apr 8, 2013 7:49 PM

Nov 2012
If there is one thing I'm going remember the most about this episode, that is the OST. Pure brilliance right there.

Love the character designs and I can already see this is going to be a character focus anime base around a single hub in this case a giant ship.

Love the concept of having a human from a society with huge tech advances and thrown back to regular old Earth. Really can't wait to see more!
Apr 8, 2013 7:51 PM

Nov 2012
Tomodachi5 said:

nauticalblue said:

To help emphasize that Red doesn't speak or understand human language on Earth , the animators made up their own foreign language so your not really suppose to understand what their saying.
Apr 8, 2013 8:01 PM

Mar 2013
I've seen a lot of people worried about this because Butcher Gen is writing it. Am I the only one who respects his K/D ratio?
"In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 8, 2013 8:08 PM

Nov 2011
AnimeForDummies said:
Tomodachi5 said:

nauticalblue said:

To help emphasize that Red doesn't speak or understand human language on Earth , the animators made up their own foreign language so your not really suppose to understand what their saying.

By Human language, I'm assuming you mean Japanese. But the thing is, they were all speaking Japanese. If they wanted to show that Red and the other speak another language, they could of done what they did in "Hataraku Maou-sama" Where they put Japanese subtitles on the bottom and spoke jibberish.
Apr 8, 2013 9:00 PM

Nov 2011
The language thing couldn't have been clearer to me. It was already established that they didn't speak the same language so it made perfect sense that if one side was speaking "Japanese" (i.e. we were seeing things from their perspective) than the other side would be speaking an incomprehensible language. I've seen this done many times before and had no trouble following that sequence.

In fact, if it is done the reverse like in Monster (where everything is Japanese and from the context you understand they switch from German to English to Czech etc.) is far more confusing because they need to make you understand that different languages are being spoken.
Apr 8, 2013 9:49 PM

Jul 2010
Wow this is shaping up to be a good season.
Really good first episode.
Apr 8, 2013 10:28 PM

Nov 2011
Well, it seems interesting. Not into mecha anime but there's always an exception (Code Geass and Gurren Langan).

I wonder if many characters will die.

Apr 8, 2013 10:34 PM

Apr 2012
The story kind of hints at "The Day the Earth Stood Still" or at least it does to me.

The beginning was a bit confusing since it seemed to be just throwing out terms that I don't get. Anyways pretty good episode. The anime seems to be about a "space traveler" lost in space and crash landed on the primitive Earth. What are the odds. Whether this is Earth present or Earth Past is still unknown. It is likely Earth Present though...
Apr 8, 2013 11:52 PM

May 2012
Ohhh. I am liking this,

Anyone familiar with Macross and Star Ocean know what this is:

Star Ocean the second story meets Macross.

Season looking good with Aku no hana, Shingeki no Kyojin and this one.
Apr 9, 2013 1:18 AM

Aug 2008
I guess I'm one of those people that will just wait for the airing of the episodes. On that note, I'm looking forward for the next episode already. I love sci-fi and awesome animations. Anyway, the exposition is over, so much less fighting scenes from now on I presume. It seems it's gonna be sorta like those Aria series in a way.

But there seems to be plenty of lore. I wonder how those people were left behind on Earth. And given his reaction, Earth-like planets must be extremely rare. Sorta sad they're taking that route, since I hate the rare Earth hypothesis, but for the story's sake, it's gonna be VERY interesting regardless.

Wait. If they have all that much super technology, making stars and terraforming must be child's play... Oh well, It makes it more interesting I guess...
Apr 9, 2013 1:26 AM

Apr 2009
Quite an interesting start. Sectors of humanity have managed to advance so far into space with highly advanced technology that they've forgotten Earth as time passed. Meanwhile here are what I presume to be descendants of portions of mankind that chose to remain. Earth looks like a water world now. The split branches of humanity have been reunited with this accident.

I really liked how they made the space-faring people and terrestrial people unable to communicate with each other. Many other space anime cop out of this important detail by having different peoples able to communicate immediately with each other. Too much techno-babble at the beginning, though. Still, this is off to a good start.
Apr 9, 2013 2:08 AM
Feb 2013
I'm liking this anime already. Gonna stay with this anime.
Apr 9, 2013 2:38 AM

Jun 2010
Cool, cool, cool. I hope Urobutcher delivers again.
Apr 9, 2013 2:46 AM

Jul 2007
Tomodachi5 said:
AnimeForDummies said:
Tomodachi5 said:

nauticalblue said:

By Human language, I'm assuming you mean Japanese. But the thing is, they were all speaking Japanese. If they wanted to show that Red and the other speak another language, they could of done what they did in "Hataraku Maou-sama" Where they put Japanese subtitles on the bottom and spoke jibberish.

THEY DID speak jibberish and you could see when Red hears jibberish an when Red says jibberish. It was quite clear.
Apr 9, 2013 2:56 AM

Aug 2010
Fai said:
THEY DID speak jibberish and you could see when Red hears jibberish an when Red says jibberish. It was quite clear.

Exactly. The only other possible solution to this would have been one side, either red or the people on earth, talk jibberish all the time. That way, you (you as in "all you people who understand japanese and don't rely on subs") would have to read the subtitles for their language all the time. It would also disconnect you from the speaker.

The way they did it in this anime way a very good choice, since it allows you to thiunk yourself into both sides: Being stranded on an unknown planet with human-like inhabitants you cannot communicate with on the one side, or the girl who gets kidnapped by that weirdo with super advanced weapons n stuff but only talks gibberish.

I'm happy they did it this way, and it was only confusing for like 10sec or so.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Apr 9, 2013 4:28 AM
Sep 2009
ZetaZaku said:
Probably a weaker start than Majestic Prince,

ahahaha

sorry
Apr 9, 2013 5:23 AM

Jul 2011
qetou said:
ZetaZaku said:
Probably a weaker start than Majestic Prince,

ahahaha

sorry

I agree with you, the start of this show was 10x better than Majestic Prince, but you have to respect others' opinions.
Apr 9, 2013 5:26 AM
Oct 2007
No, I don't. That person was obviously trolling if he said that Majestic Prince started better then this show.
Apr 9, 2013 5:42 AM

Feb 2012
Must say I didn't even notice this series before I saw the subs up but it's been great. I can't wait for more.
Apr 9, 2013 7:08 AM

Apr 2008
This was....... WOW... just .... WOW!!!!!! I really loved the setting and the mecha designs~! The colors are beautiful and the character design is also pretty cool!

I'm just hoping that quality doesn't drop on an episode basis!
"We never realize the importance of our friends until they're long gone..."
Apr 9, 2013 7:34 AM

Feb 2012
Wow, this was quite awesome. One of the most impressive first episodes I've seen in a while.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Apr 9, 2013 9:17 AM

Jul 2008
wow, one of the greatest first episodes I've seen.
Urobochi ftw, I have quite high expectations from this show, I'll be sticking with it to the end ^^

about the language thing, I think they managed it pretty well, he'll probably learn their language after a couple ep's and then they'll all be talking japanese :)
Apr 9, 2013 9:30 AM

Jul 2008
i love the space fight scenes
in all others space fight scenes from (anime, movies and tv show) the make formation in 2d like they are on land combat, these is the first time i see a use of the 3D space in war strategy
Apr 9, 2013 9:43 AM

Oct 2012
I liked the character design and the colors, except red marks by the body (shoulder, knee, face).

4/5
Apr 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Mar 2013
Nanii said:
I liked the character design and the colors, except red marks by the body (shoulder, knee, face).

4/5

The girls do look like they've either been slapped repeatedly or are blushing excessively at all times.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams

"...but all these feels that are currently assaulting me don't seem to care. Conversely, I'm also aggressively erect at the moment..."
Apr 9, 2013 11:49 AM

Jul 2010
Kuroyu said:
wow, one of the greatest first episodes I've seen.
Urobochi ftw, I have quite high expectations from this show, I'll be sticking with it to the end ^^

about the language thing, I think they managed it pretty well, he'll probably learn their language after a couple ep's and then they'll all be talking japanese :)

Agreed! Fantastic first ep! I also agree that the language difference was done superbly. Having it switch between perspectives, with no translation of the jibberish, really was well thought out. And, if the jibberish were subtitled, the fantastic line by his AI when it began being able to translate would have been lost. I had to pause it until I stopped laughing!
Apr 9, 2013 2:03 PM

Apr 2010
The episode is splitted in two parts. The first: mecha-action, well done but difficult to understand (a lot of scientific dialogues); the second: Earth setting. I liked the second part more than the first, but it really was an exciting first episode.
Apr 9, 2013 3:32 PM

Aug 2011
Wow. I don't particularly like mecha shows but this was something different. I wasn't expecting much but the visuals were stellar. Production I.G fully delivered on that front. Plus, the suspense and action kept me interested until the final moment. It's definitely a show that I'm most pleasantly surprised with this season.
Apr 9, 2013 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
HOLY FREAKING SAUCES! This first ep blown my mind away!!! Yesterday when I watched Date a Live, I thought, damn, this animation is top notch, then today I watch Gargantia ... Hey, get off me Date a Live and yesssss, welcome Gargantia !!!

Seriously, who doesn't love spaceships, robots, cosmos view, scientific stuffs, fighting aliens ... Even though the first half about fighting isn't something that is original but the second half really introduce to us a brand new tale. The fighting scenes, the formation, the designs really well done and detailed. The character design is also really good, especially the eyes, look like pearls. The robot seems a bit kid-like to me but it is ok.

Anyway, another beast this season, i am thankful for you production I.G, you just made my life better!
Apr 9, 2013 5:09 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Deculture! The Macross vibes are strong in this one.
Nice space battle with the Hideauze. I like the branching laser attack thing.
Another dystopia from Urobichi (Expelled from Paradise seems like it's gonna have one too). Avalon probably has it's own version of the Sibyl System.
Another thing I notice is the terminology. With all the quantum mechanics talk, I guess I'll have to keep a Wiki tab opened.
As for characters, the first time I saw Amy I thought "why is she so shiny?" haha Seriously, everything I've seen recently looks opaque compared to this. Not hating on the colors. Nisemonogatari also had very shiny girls.

Dizzee said:
YAWNED throughout the whole battle scene. I never really understood what's so special about mecha's, what's so fun about watching robots shooting lasers at each other?

Then this anime is not for you. Expect a lot of those in further episodes.
Apr 9, 2013 5:14 PM

Jul 2008
Genix said:
But there seems to be plenty of lore. I wonder how those people were left behind on Earth. And given his reaction, Earth-like planets must be extremely rare. Sorta sad they're taking that route, since I hate the rare Earth hypothesis, but for the story's sake, it's gonna be VERY interesting regardless.

Wait. If they have all that much super technology, making stars and terraforming must be child's play... Oh well, It makes it more interesting I guess...

Avalon is just one colony. They don't mention any others. Perhaps they only had enough funds to create one colony. I doubt they have the technology to terraform, let alone create stars.

From my brief study in Astrophysics though, from what I can gather planets that have above 98% of the Earth's atmosphere are very rare indeed, but I'd need to check to make sure. I know one was mentioned a couple years ago, but even then it's atmosphere was a little bit different. I think it was compared to one of our previous ice ages.

Their reference to 1G in the show was a pretty big hint to the rarity of such a planet. It'd be 1G because we measure all other gravities to that of our own. The likelihood of a planet having the same quantitative value as our standard would be extremely rare.
Apr 9, 2013 6:23 PM

Feb 2012
Exposition was clumsy but this series could go places.

Story is something that Asimov would write if Asimov were Japanese.
Apr 9, 2013 6:24 PM

Nov 2011
So far I love this. But the beginning was very annoying. I didn't understand anything, or mostly, from those fight scenes in s[ace. The colors were so fucking annoying and since i was also a supposedly future world everything was unfamiliar so no fucking chance to distinguish what is what in there. I couldn't even follow the subs given the fact that I was concentrated on understanding the visuals.

I thought to just stop the damn episode and move on to the next 1st ep for this season which I definitely adore.

Good thing I didn't stop and Red got to freking Earth and thank god Earth is not THAT fucked up. At least yet.

But it does make me think how many must have dropped this just from the first minutes of crack.
Apr 9, 2013 6:43 PM
Mar 2013
Morridine said:
I couldn't even follow the subs given the fact that I was concentrated on understanding the visuals.

I thought to just stop the damn episode and move on to the next 1st ep for this season which I definitely adore.

Good thing I didn't stop and Red got to freking Earth and thank god Earth is not THAT fucked up. At least yet.

But it does make me think how many must have dropped this just from the first minutes of crack.

Had the same issue with reading the subs and watching what was going on at the beginning, but it didn't turn me off from the series anywhere near the point of stopping midway through an episode. If the entire series is like that than yeah I'd probably be pretty pissed, but just how the first episode ended and how it looks like the story isn't going to be constant space battles has got me fairly excited for the next episode.
Apr 9, 2013 7:12 PM

Feb 2013
NeoBasch said:
Genix said:

Avalon is just one colony. They don't mention any others. Perhaps they only had enough funds to create one colony. I doubt they have the technology to terraform, let alone create stars.

From my brief study in Astrophysics though, from what I can gather planets that have above 98% of the Earth's atmosphere are very rare indeed, but I'd need to check to make sure. I know one was mentioned a couple years ago, but even then it's atmosphere was a little bit different. I think it was compared to one of our previous ice ages.

Their reference to 1G in the show was a pretty big hint to the rarity of such a planet. It'd be 1G because we measure all other gravities to that of our own. The likelihood of a planet having the same quantitative value as our standard would be extremely rare.

Actually, in the beginning scenes you could see several colonies that look like Avalon except without any life on them. It is implied that those colonies were destroyed by the Hideauze, as we can see the aliens moving among the space ruins. They also mention a lot of sacrifice during that scene, so we can assume that many people were killed on those destroyed colonies. They say that about ~470 Million people live on Avalon, which is only a percentage of the population of Earth at this present day, so we can assume quite a lot of humans have died out.

They also did have the tech to terraform. You can see that there is a fully functioning ecosystem on Avalon as the colony is covered in plants and bodies of water. They probably don't have the tech yet to do terraforming on a planetary scale.
Apr 9, 2013 8:11 PM

May 2012
looks like this anime is gonna be freakin sweet :D
Apr 9, 2013 8:13 PM
Oct 2012
AHAHAHA! Something about "reproducing with your mother" and "fresh excrement"?
Apr 9, 2013 9:05 PM

Mar 2013
"You mother-fucking piece of shit!" I guess?
- Douglas Adams

Apr 9, 2013 9:13 PM
Apr 2011
zenith_kim94 said:
sukanime said:
Wow, nice mecha, those fighting scene is awesome....
And when he drift to earth, the scenery is awesome....

Anyone notice, where is the gun after he opened the door in the ending???
the gun is gone when he supprised with the sceenery outside...

>.<

It disappeared for a while... then it was right in his hand when the squirrel launched an attack on his face... And he has it until the episode ends.

LOOOL. Seems like the episode was not entirely perfect.

Yes... LOL...
I hope they gonna fix that Gun in BD... :P
Apr 9, 2013 9:40 PM

Jul 2009
Really good in my opinion knowing its Urobutcher's work since im a huge fan of him, animation, sfx, runs smoothly and story seems to be ok, tho hate how the robot have a big head. Pretty good until i saw.... Kanemoto Bitch!!

*Delete's entire trace of the show completely off my PC*
オール・イズ・バニッティー

Apr 9, 2013 11:11 PM

Dec 2009
After being tricked by Muv-Luv, I have to be careful about what mecha shows I watch. So far, I'm liking this. But I will keep a wary eye and drop it a moment's notice if it starts to drag.
Apr 9, 2013 11:23 PM

Oct 2011
This exceeded all my expectations, and my expectations were really high to begin with. Amazing first episode. Probably will be the best this season tbh.

The animation quality is UNREAL! The characters and colors and very pleasing to the eye. I also love the plot and setting of the story. Going from futuristic to a sorta steampunk version of earth. I hope the quality of this anime stays like this until the end. Already sad that it's only 12 episodes.
LuxtressApr 9, 2013 11:27 PM
Apr 10, 2013 12:30 AM
Apr 2011
Erzaa said:
This exceeded all my expectations, and my expectations were really high to begin with. Amazing first episode. Probably will be the best this season tbh.

The animation quality is UNREAL! The characters and colors and very pleasing to the eye. I also love the plot and setting of the story. Going from futuristic to a sorta steampunk version of earth. I hope the quality of this anime stays like this until the end. Already sad that it's only 12 episodes.

for me it one of four best anime in this seasion, the other is Shingeki no Kyojin, Karneval and Devil Survivor 2 The Animation.

It's remind me of anime Shangrila with high quality animation too...
to bad, it's just 12 episode, i hope it will have good story and have second seasion...
Apr 10, 2013 4:04 AM

Feb 2012
Didn't really like the first half but it picked up in the second half. "Reproducing with your mother" and "fresh excrement." lol
Apr 10, 2013 6:57 AM

Jul 2008
Irenesharda said:
Actually, in the beginning scenes you could see several colonies that look like Avalon except without any life on them. It is implied that those colonies were destroyed by the Hideauze, as we can see the aliens moving among the space ruins. They also mention a lot of sacrifice during that scene, so we can assume that many people were killed on those destroyed colonies. They say that about ~470 Million people live on Avalon, which is only a percentage of the population of Earth at this present day, so we can assume quite a lot of humans have died out.

They also did have the tech to terraform. You can see that there is a fully functioning ecosystem on Avalon as the colony is covered in plants and bodies of water. They probably don't have the tech yet to do terraforming on a planetary scale.

I didn't know about that first part. Nice catch!

As for the second part, that's what I meant. Terraforming for a colony is completely different from terraforming for planets. I'm not for sure I'd call the colony terraforming, though. Technically, I suppose you are modifying it's original atmosphere, which would have been an absence of any sort of atmosphere, but that's just semantics. They created that atmosphere from scratch. Adjusting an existing planet's atmosphere would be incredibly hard and possibly damaging to its ecosystem.
Apr 10, 2013 7:34 AM

Nov 2010
First half was impressive with an opposite side that was bad ass
The rest was nice to see as an introduction and discovering earth
2 bad it's only 12 episodes
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

499 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:50 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jun 23, 2013

340 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2013

261 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:35 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

344 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:24 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

667 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 5, 7:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.