Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2008 4:57 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So... Two episodes in and I'm really getting tired of all of that redhead's whining and crying. Someone who's seen more please tell me she grows a pair sometime within the next two episodes.
Nov 27, 2008 5:05 AM
Jul 2008
lol, that was my impression too. But be patient and it will be worth it.
Juuni Kokuki is one of the best, and Youko grows as a character over time.
Only in the beginning she annoyed me to, and later I really liked her character.
Mar 14, 2009 5:26 PM

Feb 2008
Youko's retarded. What part of 'you're too ugly to be a main character so we had to change your face' thing does she not get?
Aug 8, 2009 12:12 PM

Jun 2008
^lol nice one

Anyway, the episode is kinda confusing. Dunno what's happening.
Dec 10, 2009 11:14 AM
Nov 2008
Youko will be a strong lady and all later I assume, looks like that type of a character.

Background designs are very much to my liking.

Jan 25, 2010 9:58 PM
Apr 2009
Ok, so, the first episode was horrible, this one is terrible.
Yoko is really annoying.
I haven't seen many anime starting as bad as this one.
I seriously doubt this show will get any better.
Nov 17, 2010 10:41 AM

Nov 2009
lol I didn't really notice much of a difference in Youko's face... I was like "wat, her face changed?" ._. Only thing I noticed was that her skin got a bit darker XD
Nov 28, 2010 6:04 AM

Nov 2008
Dec 3, 2010 10:46 PM

Apr 2010
SapphireStar26 said:
lol I didn't really notice much of a difference in Youko's face... I was like "wat, her face changed?" ._. Only thing I noticed was that her skin got a bit darker XD

haha yea I was like wtf? o.O Until I looked real hard at her face and thought back to the last episode and was like oh yea she does seem a little prettier lol

Dec 13, 2010 12:29 PM

May 2010
Am I blind or what? Because I DON'T SEE ANY CHANGES TO HER FACE WHATSOEVER.

Have they ate? I am pretty sure it has been a day already and why is there so much crying in one episode? This level of crying is comparable to Clannad
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 22, 2011 7:30 AM

Aug 2010
Okay so what part of her face changed? Besides her skin getting darker. I think she looks the same!
Ep 1 and 2 was well not so interesting, but the reason why i'm gonna watch the next ep is because it looks like the anime has got some good reviews.

I've seen animes that started horribly but as it goes on, gets interesting. So im going to continue, until i'm sick of Youko's whines.
Jul 28, 2011 1:19 PM

Sep 2008
Putting up with Youko's whining thanks to all the comments in the last episode's discussion claiming that it will get better... Otherwise, she still bugged me, like she did others. I thought she looked exactly the same?! When Sugimoto didn't know it was her, my first thought was that she had amnesia, and not that she couldn't recognise Youko. Weird.

Interested to know why Kaikyaku are assumed to bring bad luck... There's some backing and history behind that, evidently...
Jan 25, 2012 3:24 PM

Jan 2011
wait how exactly does she look different? all i noticed was that she was darker and had green eyes...

but she's not any prettier than she was before...??
Jul 19, 2012 11:24 AM
Jan 2010
the mc needs to go full ganguro
Aug 1, 2012 3:58 PM

Jul 2007
purerok said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So... Two episodes in and I'm really getting tired of all of that redhead's whining and crying. Someone who's seen more please tell me she grows a pair sometime within the next two episodes.

She is a girl to so she can't "grow a pair"

Again, i will say her reaction and crying may be annoying to some, but that is just the way her character is introduced in a realistic fashion. Suddenly entering a new world, you know nothing bout, Yokao are after you, trying to kill you and you expect her to just become a hero that fast and start kicking everyone's ass?

Why don't you start taking bout the episode, instead of complaining bout the protagonist.

For people who are confused, i will try to explain because i love shows like this that really explore the mythology and creatures, behind this fantasy world. It is very similar to fushugi yugi in that aspect. I really love the different fantasy concepts that have been introduced so far, like the Kaikyaku are basically human beings from our world, that cross over into this other world. They are referred to as the Kaikyaku within the 12 kingdoms. I also like how they can't speak the same native language as the people of the kingdoms. Which makes Yuko unique in that way and special some how given her ability to communicate with the locals.

I also love the existence of the shoku and how it enables them to cross over dimensions into the different world, much like inuyasha or fushugi yugi. The world shown in this series looks pretty large and very interesting with alot of different political factions or races, creatures, and many different fantasy elements that could create one fleshed out series with lots of depth if done right.

One of my favorite scenes in this episode was when yuko looked over out upon the large sea only to find out that it was a very different ocean then her real world. That was quite interesting, also the Yokau i take it our demons of some form or another that attack the villages and the Kaikyaku when they come to the lands, that explains why the natives are always in trouble all the time.

I am glad that Sugimoto, yoku and Asana are all reunited again, so at least now they aren't alone, they have each other. Keiki is the man who took her to the other world and apparently is shown as one of the Yokau, so maybe he and them are linked some how.

The Hekisoujo, the orb she carries is some kind of treasure that enables her to having healing properties which is pretty cool and its linked to her sword. I wonder when that Kochou that resides with in her will actually free it self. I would like to see her perform on her own eventually, instead of having to rely on the Kochou.

Anyways this episode was kind of overwhelming with the amount of terminology that you have to learn, but im sure alot of this will be further expanded upon as the series goes on. But i do like shows like this make you think, instead of having some generic un sophisticated plot like inuyasha. Just from the 2nd episode, this show looks promising to have lots of depth to it and i look forward to the remaining episodes.
ArtimesGamerAug 1, 2012 4:10 PM

Jan 23, 2013 3:52 AM

Jan 2008
don't really know why, but I liked this episode more than the first. Can't really explain why, to be honest, but whatever xD

can't wait to see how this world will be expanded in the coming episodes.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Jan 30, 2014 2:10 PM

Nov 2012
link9us said:

She is a girl to so she can't "grow a pair"

Again, i will say her reaction and crying may be annoying to some, but that is just the way her character is introduced in a realistic fashion. Suddenly entering a new world, you know nothing bout, Yokao are after you, trying to kill you and you expect her to just become a hero that fast and start kicking everyone's ass?

^THANK YOU. i don't understand why so many people are complaining about the way Youko is acting. as far as i'm concerned, it's a pretty realistic reaction given her circumstances. monstrous creatures are trying to kill her, she is a prisoner in a foreign world where people are hostile towards her, she was told that she won't be able to go back to her world, and on top of that, if one of the monsters don't kill her, she might be executed anyways. i would say that all of that MORE than justifies her reaction to everything.

aside from that, i enjoyed the episode. loving art style so far. although the character designs look a little awkward at times, the art for the scenery and backdrops are very nice (gives it a good fantasy feel). the pacing is good as well (fast enough to keep me interested, but not too fast). still lots of questions to be answered, but there's 45 episodes so i'm not too worried.
Feb 17, 2014 2:01 AM

Jul 2008
I'm not annoyed by Youko, at least not yet. But what the heck is with them saying she changed. I don't see it.
Mar 25, 2014 6:12 AM

Aug 2013
Every time they say "Keiki" I can't help but think of cake lmao.

I don't think Youko's annoying. She's just a normal girl who's suddenly attacked by monsters, transported to another world, has her appearance changed and is now treated like a criminal. Anyone in the same situation as her would act scared and confused.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 8, 2014 8:56 PM

Nov 2013
Looks like the users of today are more sensible than those of yesteryear. People are too quick to judge and react negatively to Youko's whining without considering her predicament.
Jan 6, 2015 5:14 AM

Jan 2012
wow she cry too much.i have never seen such a coward MC.XD Keiki don't give a fuck about them.

Feb 22, 2015 7:53 AM

Jun 2011
Sugimoto annoys me way more than Youko.
Aug 31, 2015 2:47 PM

Apr 2010
Really annoying female lead. Pro tip: In an emergency, stop, think then act. Crying "someone please save me!!1one!" does nothing.

Also if you decide to hand over your weapon to obviously hostile strangers who have no visible authority then you're agreeing to becoming defenceless.

If you agree to become defensiveless, then any rape or abuse that happens if the consequences of your choice.

If you somehow manage to escape the situation and still get attacked by people out to KILL you, then if you don't want to defend yourself, you're agreeing to die.

If you agree to die, then die.

Seriously, the logical consequence of getting knocked out would be to have her throat slit for being a foreigner who at least one the villagers are out to kill. LOLed at the part where somehow she's handed over to the authorities and the old woman somehow decides not to kill an unconscious person she was out to kill eariler. As for the MC being "realistic", yeah so realistic the writer had to use author power to keep her dumb ass alive

MC stupidity level is over 9000!
Sep 21, 2015 4:58 PM
May 2015
This episode was OK. They're still setting things. I won't be as agressive as the retard /moron above me though
Oct 16, 2015 6:51 PM

Apr 2010
NobodyKnow said:
This episode was OK. They're still setting things. I won't be as agressive as the retard /moron above me though

Sure sure you're so calm and nice!

Yo protip! What you're doing is called passive aggressive and is done by idiots who are too scared at being smacked down with logic. Guess what that makes you.
Oct 26, 2015 9:33 PM

Apr 2014
I'm sorry, she just handed over her sword?

Well, that was better than the last episode. This show's atmosphere is sure creepy; almost like that of psychological horror.

I'm confused. I didn't notice any difference in her face. Must have been a subtle change; like her eyes or something.
Nov 4, 2015 5:57 AM

Dec 2014
As someone mentioned before Youko is annoying but her behaviour is quite realistic. I think anyone would be whining like that if they found themselves in such situation.

And same I didn't notice anything different about her face.
Nov 7, 2015 9:08 PM

Dec 2013
No matter how many times I watch this series, I can never get over how fucking whiny Youko is in these first few episodes, though it's completely understandable why she is. Whining aside, I find some of her behavior in the first few episodes a little unnatural.

xpaula said:
Sugimoto annoys me way more than Youko.

She has always been an issue for me as well during my other times watching this series. I didn't quite know how to describe her then, but now I think the appropriate word to describe her would be that she's a Chuuni. She's little more than a weird ass high school girl longing for an escape so she can live out her fantasies.

The sad thing is that she gets much worse towards the middle and end of this arc.
Kuro_YuukiNov 7, 2015 9:27 PM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 13, 2015 11:17 AM

Feb 2013
That girl sure does tan fast. I was wondering why she looked so dark in the cover image.

This show is moving right along. The episode went by fast.
May 3, 2016 6:06 PM

Jul 2015
I was like wtf all the episode, i didn't notice she was tanned so i didn't understand why they where telling her face changed, and yeah she is annoying but she's not that bad yet, never watch thing like Blue Gender if can't stand character like that haha
Aug 4, 2016 8:31 PM

Jan 2014
"OMG she's crying too much, this MC is so whinny"
yea because if you through a 16 year old girl into a medieval world with monsters and villagers threatening to execute them I'm sure most of them would just be total badasses and kick everyone's ass.

Also like wtf about her face has changed? she looks exactly the same to me.
Mar 21, 2017 4:55 PM

Jan 2014
Well.. I don't think Youko's annoying.

I thought she looked exactly the same?! lol xD

That forest scene with Keiki..?
Apr 26, 2017 5:12 PM

Jun 2016
I have high expectations of this show.

It's very slow, but considering the number of episodes, it is quite normal, I guess.

I hope to see Youko change personality-wise soon.
Jun 15, 2017 8:40 AM

Oct 2012
Her face is different? But I didn't noticed anything :(

I think Kaikyaku isn't the one that bring bad lucks, it's because you're bringing somekind of important person in there :P

This episode is really good
Except for our female MC's nagging every seconds xD
"Signature removed"
Apr 1, 2018 5:56 PM

Sep 2017
Hold the ball hanging from the sword and you will feel warmth. Love that innuendo.

This episode was okay, at least they set up it in some believable way. And the title says 12 kingdoms, but there is one at the center. What does it stand for?

Also, I don't get the face change. She looks almost the same.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 18, 2018 5:22 PM
Dec 2014
Lol some people are so passionate in this forum.

Yeah, Youko is annoying rn lets face it. It may be realistic but it's just painful to watch. No one wants to watch a main protagonist who tries to abandon her means of survival at every turn and just cries instead about how much she wants to go home. If she doesn't change soon I don't think I'll be able to bear it much longer.

Also the girl who's with her is pretty hard to watch too. She's just so unlikable (though I guess she's supposed to be) and if she doesn't turn into a 'bad guy' I'll actually be surprised. It's really easy to see the potential of her just slaughtering everyone she can so that she can 'rule' this other world.

And yeah, I didn't see the changes to Youko's face either, which is pretty funny to find out I wasn't the only one.

Anyway those two are my main irks, the rest is pretty good and I can see that it's got great potential even if we didn't notice her face change lol.
ExoticPineappleMay 18, 2018 5:31 PM
Oct 9, 2018 5:24 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Her face is more yellowish now, she looks way better than her previous appearence somehow.

Also did that dude just died due to that eagle?!
Sep 24, 2019 7:40 AM

May 2015
Just use the damn sword :P
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 29, 2019 1:47 AM

Jul 2016
ahhh, keiki-san... you saved that hoe huh... you really shouldn't have! no, really you shouldn't have...

i like how you can really feel the terror and how alien yoko feels just by the scene with the sea. (i also owe it to the old animation, i tried imagining what that unique sea would look like in modern day style and i was not impressed). when she landed on the island, she wondered if it was still japan, so she had still yet that small ounce of hope that she wasn't in a foreign land and that home was an accessible place to return to - an available option. but once she went to the top of that cliff and saw all the swirling colors in a sea that she had never seen before, thus one not of her world, she lost it. it can seem so insignificant that she chose to break down at that moment to just witnessing a different sea rather than when she was literally riding talking mystical animorphs and chimeras, when it's not at all.

also, why is yoko so unnaturally orange, like a bad tan? her hair looks better now though. ok, at first i viewed asano and yuko as annoying, tagging along and shiet but now i'm grateful that they're there to provide at least some reassurance for yoko. (because she really needs that right now.) and yuko doesn't seem as crazy as before, when she was super hyped. yuko or yuka? yuka right?

from the only two episodes that i've watched, this seems to be a intriguing and wonderful fantasy anime. what i really want to know more about is keiki shifting into some sort of creature and then a creature identical to him appearing to heal him...? see, this is so confusing...
Dec 16, 2019 10:51 PM

Aug 2018
This is one dumb bitch
Dec 20, 2019 6:30 PM
Jan 2014
Zaku_Fan said:
Really annoying female lead. Pro tip: In an emergency, stop, think then act. Crying "someone please save me!!1one!" does nothing.

Also if you decide to hand over your weapon to obviously hostile strangers who have no visible authority then you're agreeing to becoming defenceless.

If you agree to become defensiveless, then any rape or abuse that happens if the consequences of your choice.

If you somehow manage to escape the situation and still get attacked by people out to KILL you, then if you don't want to defend yourself, you're agreeing to die.

If you agree to die, then die.

Seriously, the logical consequence of getting knocked out would be to have her throat slit for being a foreigner who at least one the villagers are out to kill. LOLed at the part where somehow she's handed over to the authorities and the old woman somehow decides not to kill an unconscious person she was out to kill eariler. As for the MC being "realistic", yeah so realistic the writer had to use author power to keep her dumb ass alive

MC stupidity level is over 9000!

you wrote this entire post without any realization of how idiotic this sounds didn't you?
Apr 18, 2021 10:16 AM
Oct 2019
nope. can't do it. had to drop this show 2 minutes into this episode

it's. not. good
May 19, 2021 11:42 AM
Feb 2016
This was better than the first episode. Not by much, though. But an improvement is an improvement.
MC has a lot of growing up to do.
Aug 15, 2021 11:40 AM

Nov 2016
I like the pace this is going at and that there isn't an overabundance of info dumps. It's nothing remarkable per se, but compared to other isekai it's actually praiseworthy xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 23, 2022 9:34 AM
Nov 2020
Keiki, what the frick, are you doing?
Save her & protect her already!
Dec 10, 2023 2:13 AM

Apr 2017
Her skin is slightly darker, but that must be a drastic thing or something. lol. Maybe her green eyes are also more prominent as well tbh.

I don't blame Youko for how she's acting. Keiki basically took her to some random world, against her will, and basically left her to fend for herself. I'd be confused and angry as well tbh. Especially now that she's about to be executed, simply because some guy forced her into a new world.
Jan 12, 9:36 AM

May 2022
am i the only one who liked these first two episodes? Also i had to go back to the first ep to notice her skin got darker and her green eyes shine a lot more.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.