Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 15, 2008 12:20 PM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
RAW CAME OUT! Wow the story is getting nicely into arc 2! I LIKE it better than last one cause last one was depressing!

*Mod edit*
aeroNov 17, 2008 3:18 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 15, 2008 12:47 PM
Jul 2018
This episode, especially the first part felt a lot different from the previous ones.
Now we have alchemist and vampires too.. I kinda expected them to introduce more "groups" to the ESPers and magicians.
Nov 15, 2008 4:06 PM

May 2008
I thought this one was kind of boring to be honest...

Not much happening, almost like a filler, but I guess it's just to introduce the new characters.

Can't complain.
Nov 15, 2008 11:16 PM
Oct 2008
loved index's new quirk of going nun in response to anything that may question her integrity,but a bit boring as an episode on whole but I guess that was all to buildup to next episode. I hope they expand more on Touma's struggles with his lost memory

--They really need to do something about Touma's clothing, so boring compared to Index, Styels and kanzaki
Nov 16, 2008 1:48 PM

Jul 2008
Index is way too adorable, and that blue haired lolicon is amazing("Hey, don't tell me it's a trap.") but I'm getting a little curious about a few things..

-How many different supernatural categories are we getting at? I think I'm going to get lost between magicians, espers, alchemists, vampires, and whatever else shows up.

-How many episodes do you guys think this is going to end up running for? I don't mind the current pacing, but I don't know if much is going to happen between now and 19ish more episodes.

-What the hell was with the dead knight?
Nov 16, 2008 1:52 PM
Jul 2008
So-so episode..

btw i dont remember this from the manga..
Nov 16, 2008 1:55 PM

Jul 2008
AndreAtomic said:
So-so episode..

NO IT'S NOT IN MANGA! THIS IS EXTRA!

WOW WOW WOW WOW! 24 episodes? It changed! GREAT! THIS IS GOING TO BE NUTS!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 16, 2008 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
Index was great. She's just acting like a little girl. x3
Aisa is nice. I like how she's talkin in incomplete sentences.
Nov 16, 2008 2:30 PM

Apr 2007
Index mai waifu!

Nov 16, 2008 3:01 PM

Jul 2007
TuXeyM11 said:
I thought this one was kind of boring to be honest...

Not much happening, almost like a filler, but I guess it's just to introduce the new characters.

Can't complain.

Yeah same here. Decent episode, feels like 50% is just filler.
Nov 16, 2008 3:44 PM

Oct 2008
Subs are out. It would be nice to know how many total episodes this series will have, but judging by the pacing, I tend to agree that this will fall somewhere around the 24-26 episode mark, but until its official, it could be anywhere from 12 to 26 (or more) total episodes.
Nov 16, 2008 4:04 PM

Aug 2008
This was supposed to be the best show ever (or at least this season)! When did it go wrong? (I'm not saying it's bad, it just ended up being mediocre)
Nov 16, 2008 4:54 PM

Dec 2007
The pacing felt a bit more natural in this episode.
I'm not sure this is a filler... has anyone read the original light novels?

I'm interested, probably because I don't know the story now
Nov 16, 2008 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
SimsHsia said:
Subs are out. It would be nice to know how many total episodes this series will have, but judging by the pacing, I tend to agree that this will fall somewhere around the 24-26 episode mark, but until its official, it could be anywhere from 12 to 26 (or more) total episodes.
I think this is definately going to be 24-26 episodes and I wouldn't be surprised if it has 2 or more seasons of that length, Index's universe seems rather large and complex for anything less.

Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding what to think of this show. It's certainly interesting, with great characters and spells and other crazy things but the pacing seems way off. This is based off a light novel right? They really have to pick things up, this is going a little too slow, maybe this pace works in the light novels but animated/filmed it has to be faster. Everything but the pace is working.
Nov 16, 2008 5:19 PM

Jul 2008
Im still brooding over the fact that he lost his memory, how is that going to play out in the story later on? Its only a matter of time before someone realizes hes lost it no?
Nov 16, 2008 5:39 PM

Aug 2008
Yay! A Miko!
Touma's comment at Index's chest(sphinx) was hilarious! xD
Funny episode ^^
Nov 16, 2008 5:51 PM

Dec 2007
after some crazy but good episodes finnaly one that is slowpaced....nice thing....new characters were awsome :X....my new most loved character....Himegami Aisa !!! her reactions at the cafe?restaurant...u know what i mean were THE BEST :P....i didnt read manga so i cant tell if its slow or fast paced...but i was rly suprised when it ended and nothing rly happened in this ep....it could be faster......
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.
Nov 16, 2008 5:54 PM

Jul 2007
Index's tantrum = ew.

I don't really like how they're handling touma's memory loss, delving more into the world of magicians seems to hold some promise, and how dense is everyone that they can't seem to figure out he's lost his memories?

... but ah well, I do love a good shrine maiden...
Nov 16, 2008 5:58 PM

Nov 2007
Mamiko Miko ftw <3
Nov 16, 2008 6:23 PM

Jan 2008
TuXeyM11 said:

AndreAtomic said:
ragnaroks said:

You're all correct. The reason this feels like a filler, and you don't remember this from the manga, is simply because it IS filler, and therefore was NOT in the manga. The only part that wasn't filler was Sphinx, and even that's stretching it somewhat.

I can't tell you how much I'm going to hate this. -_- Filler anime episodes are always insuperior to the actual series itself, and rarely make any sense, or have any kind of real enjoyment to them. If they're going to do filler they just should have done the side story with the rail gun girl instead. Her manga does exist afterall. THAT would have been awesome. This on the other hand, this is probably going to suck. Why? Because vampires aren't in this series. They're basically merging Heroes with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ugh.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Nov 16, 2008 6:47 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
meh...wish the pace would be faster...

anime-original storyline right?...

let's see how this turns out...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 16, 2008 7:05 PM

Mar 2008
wakka9ca said:
meh...wish the pace would be faster...

anime-original storyline right?...

let's see how this turns out...

Probably, but this lead-in looks alright

good cliff-hanger at the end too
Nov 16, 2008 7:07 PM

Jan 2008
Eh, a bit slow but whatever. Love Aisa XD
Nov 16, 2008 7:08 PM

Oct 2007
kuroshiroi said:
SimsHsia said:
Anyway, I'm having trouble deciding what to think of this show. It's certainly interesting, with great characters and spells and other crazy things but the pacing seems way off. This is based off a light novel right? They really have to pick things up, this is going a little too slow, maybe this pace works in the light novels but animated/filmed it has to be faster. Everything but the pace is working.

I'm with you here. Except I'd say besides Index, none of the characters are standouts for me yet. But it's certainly a well designed, well animated show with plenty of potential. But yeah, the pacing is killing me. In this case, the beginning was entertaining, the ending was interesting, but again, they spent the whole middle of the show with Touma and Stiyl just standing around talking. They've done that in just about every episode except the first. It's really killing the flow and making the show feel a lot longer and more boring.

But every week they seem to end it on a high note and I think ooh, maybe it'll get interesting. I'm still waiting for that to come true so far though. =D
Nov 16, 2008 7:52 PM
Jun 2007
kevin_video said:
TuXeyM11 said:

AndreAtomic said:
ragnaroks said:

You're all correct. The reason this feels like a filler, and you don't remember this from the manga, is simply because it IS filler, and therefore was NOT in the manga. The only part that wasn't filler was Sphinx, and even that's stretching it somewhat.

I can't tell you how much I'm going to hate this. -_- Filler anime episodes are always insuperior to the actual series itself, and rarely make any sense, or have any kind of real enjoyment to them. If they're going to do filler they just should have done the side story with the rail gun girl instead. Her manga does exist afterall. THAT would have been awesome. This on the other hand, this is probably going to suck. Why? Because vampires aren't in this series. They're basically merging Heroes with Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ugh.

Go do some more research. The anime is based in the light novel, not manga. I heard that the manga skipped some parts in the light novel and the anime never skipped anything yet... I mean, they don't really need a filler, since the light novel has 16 volumes.. lol The pacing is good in my opinion.
giossNov 16, 2008 7:58 PM
Nov 16, 2008 8:09 PM

May 2007
I liked the first part of the episode, sadly when the actual plot got going it was kind of dull, hope Deep Blue and next time can be better.

Glad he let her keep the cat.
My anime list
Nov 16, 2008 8:12 PM

Nov 2007
That ending was... interesting. Other than that, it was a decent episode - nothing more, nothing less.
Nov 16, 2008 8:13 PM

Jul 2008
Drengot said:
kevin_video said:
TuXeyM11 said:

AndreAtomic said:
ragnaroks said:

Go do some more research. The anime is based in the light novel, not manga. I heard that the manga skipped some parts in the light novel and the anime never skipped anything yet... I mean, they don't really need a filler, since the light novel has 16 volumes.. lol The pacing is good in my opinion.

ONE PROBLEM the novel is all Japanese but someone translanted the manga. Point taken: unless you know Japanese reading and comprehension most here would not get it. However through the mange it is easier for all who can understand English.

This being said since you say that the novel has 16 volumes the manga has about 12 chapters. This being said CAN YOU pinpoint where it is in the novel right now with this episode?
Nov 16, 2008 8:35 PM

Nov 2007
decent episode. its like they have two good episodes and then one informational one, two good, one info. which is what happened here. well lets see how the next one turns up.
Nov 16, 2008 9:14 PM

Jun 2007
Factor said:
-How many different supernatural categories are we getting at? I think I'm going to get lost between magicians, espers, alchemists, vampires, and whatever else shows up.

So far we have 6 groups 3 of which have been confirmed, well 4 if you count deep blood.
-The Church (ie. Magicians and possibly some Alchemists)
-Alchemists
-Technology (ie. ESPers)
-Deep blood (ability to kill Vampires)
-Vampires
-Touma and his Image braker (Unknown group, possibly decedents of god sent to keep all the other groups in order?).

I'm guessing they will toss in one or two other groups in the future, but then again they may not since they already have a lot of groups right now. The OP also shows two other characters that look different and haven't been introduced yet. The girl with weird eyes is either apart of the Vampire group that has not been confirmed to exist yet or she's un-dead (walking dead). The kid that can move objects with his hands could be in any number of groups already introduced (ie. ESPer, magic, or Alchemists).
DeathfireDNov 16, 2008 9:17 PM
Nov 16, 2008 9:42 PM

Aug 2008
Finally an episode without Touma talking forever about the same thing over and over again. Hopefully it can go back to the awesomeness that were the first three eps
Nov 16, 2008 9:49 PM

Aug 2008
I await next week's redemption....
Gaming dabblings: iRO Chaos, US Pangya, iRO Valkyrie, KR Pangya

*^will fix this monstrosity later*
Nov 16, 2008 10:34 PM

Nov 2007
Ending was weird to say the least O_O, a dead corpse in a knight suit with what looked like words across his arm beginning with P I believe @_@ well I have a feeling if we do get to see a vampire they're going to be very weird looking and something we never imagined xD
Nov 17, 2008 12:41 AM

Jun 2008
I found Magnus blushing pretty funny. Plus the comment about Index's pedo body was hilarious! And the ending was creepy. This show has a habit of immense cliffhangers which make you want to watch the next episode no matter what.
Nov 17, 2008 1:03 AM
Jun 2008
woww.
u cant help but feel sorry for touma since hes gotta deal w/ everythin even thou he has no idea wats goin on.
the start was a bit o-O w/ all the bodies, and i found it funny how they introduced the new girl w/ her lik being all *doomm. coz she bought 30 hamburgers xDD
loved how index abuses her "holy"-ness.
haha. index looked pregnant for lik 1 sec
and WAT THE HELL IS UP W/ DAT CORPSE IN ARMOUR?
Nov 17, 2008 1:19 AM

Nov 2007
Do Touma's imagine breaker needs to be activated to negate magic? Because he held Index with both hands when she came back with the cat and the walking church didn't shred to pieces.
Nov 17, 2008 1:42 AM

Dec 2007
evirob said:
Do Touma's imagine breaker needs to be activated to negate magic? Because he held Index with both hands when she came back with the cat and the walking church didn't shred to pieces.

I think the Walking Church has already lost its magical properties since Touma broke it in the first episode.

On the episode, I do wonder when Touma's lost memory will be resolved. Also, it's funny how Index so rampantly manipulates her status as nun to suit her own wishes.
Nov 17, 2008 6:05 AM

Dec 2007
I totally don't like the fact that he have lost his memories, is he going to get em back later?

Also he said that he have lost his memories from 2 weeks ago onwards, so why didn't he recognized his friends from a school? Somehow it doesn't make any sense or is it me who messed something up?
Nov 17, 2008 8:08 AM

Feb 2008
rabbitpoets said:
But every week they seem to end it on a high note and I think ooh, maybe it'll get interesting. I'm still waiting for that to come true so far though. =D
QFT.

I'm thinking about changing my catchphrase for this show from "Shana for grownups" to "Boring Shana for grownups, now with speeches!"
Nov 17, 2008 8:35 AM

Jul 2007
angel999 said:

I was right about the lurking: IT IS THAT HIME Misawa! The one with the Red Kimono! She must be the one with Deep Blood BUT could it be more that the Deep Blood are Magical Vampire hunters that can use magic and that in itself is interesting!

LOVE TOUMA'S FRIENDS seeing in the street. Especially the blue haired guy that wiggles! HAHHAH! He cracks me up the way he acts! OH MAN and the way index reacted when Touma's friends assumed she was his girlfriend. LOL!

VERY NICE COMPILATION of Touma's best memories of Index! SO HE DOES REMEMBER somewhat!

The face Index made when Touma's friends think she is his girlfriend+Index gets pissed at a certain store being closed!

MAGNUS GETTING READY FOR HIME MISAWA!+I LOVE the way Magnus is honest with his feelings and BLUSHES. Although I do not think he loves her as a women like Touma implied BUT HE CARES FOR HER A LOT. ALMOST LIKE A SISTER!

first, it is himegami aisa. it is even in the characters list. touma doesnt remember anything, index was pissed because she was called flat chested, etc etc.

seems like you misunderstand a lot from the raws. you should try just watching the subs instead of watching raws and trying to understand what's going on. if you really understood japanese then you wouldn't be understanding THAT much. just friendly advice. there's nothing wrong if you dont get the first post LMAO. just watch the subs instead of looking like a fool with your wrong assumptions.

Crimsonwill said:
Ending was weird to say the least O_O, a dead corpse in a knight suit with what looked like words across his arm beginning with P I believe @_@ well I have a feeling if we do get to see a vampire they're going to be very weird looking and something we never imagined xD

the writing, if i remember correctly is 'parcifal'. maybe a reference to one of the knights in king arthur's court?(sir percival) maybe..dunno XD

Nov 17, 2008 9:05 AM

Jul 2008
Dilvish said:

Also he said that he have lost his memories from 2 weeks ago onwards, so why didn't he recognized his friends from a school? Somehow it doesn't make any sense or is it me who messed something up?

Hmm, this interesting..

I'm probably wrong, but maybe he just met them when Extra Lessons(Summer School?) just started. I don't have the episode in front of me to check what kind of conversation they had when we first saw them but I think they came off as more as friends rather than fellow delinquents.

That's just my guess anyway.
Nov 17, 2008 9:11 AM

Mar 2007
corroded said:
seems like you misunderstand a lot from the raws.

NUH UH.

corroded said:
there's nothing wrong if you dont get the first post LMAO.

But...a first post without CAPS and SCREENSHOTS just wouldn't be the same.

corroded said:
just watch the subs instead of looking like a fool with your wrong assumptions.

LOL
You've come a long way, baby.
Nov 17, 2008 9:14 AM

Dec 2007
Not a spectacular episode. I guess we'll have more interesting things in the next one.
Nov 17, 2008 9:48 AM

Jul 2008
yup not really interesting happen, introduced a new character but the next one will be better.

Nov 17, 2008 9:48 AM
Dec 2007
Wow, ignorants much? The Vampire plotline was introduced in the second volume of the light novel series, it seems. So now all of you manga purists should shut up and admit your manga wasn't so faithfull to the original material after all.

From what the preview mentioned, I'm gonna take a guess and say the knight was part of a group currently fighting the Alchemist. Why Magnus, or anyone else for that matter, didn't care about him...I have no idea.
Leon-GunNov 17, 2008 9:53 AM

Nov 17, 2008 9:51 AM

Feb 2008
This show is based on the novels, not the manga. Goddamn, some of you...

Anyways, this was a decent episode. Nothing really noteworthy but I'm looking forward to seeing things progress. Next episode should be quite good.
Nov 17, 2008 11:02 AM
Jul 2008
Veronin said:

Anyways, this was a decent episode. Nothing really noteworthy but I'm looking forward to seeing things progress. Next episode should be quite good.

i knew that!

but i just assumed that the manga followed the novels...so i just assumed that this episode was a filler..

my bad!
Nov 17, 2008 11:06 AM

Feb 2008
You know what they say when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me :)
Nov 17, 2008 12:01 PM

Feb 2008
AndreAtomic said:
Veronin said:

i knew that!

but i just assumed that the manga followed the novels...so i just assumed that this episode was a filler..

my bad!

It's alright man. I just noticed that nearly everybody didn't know that and got a bit frustrated.
Nov 17, 2008 1:22 PM

Jan 2008
Veronin said:

By all means, shut us up with your link the light novel so we can all read it. Then we won't have to worry about it, will we? The same goes for you to Leon-Gun. And anyone else that decided they should "school" us on what's correct. Although, from what I'm reading so far, it's in Japanese only so most of us won't be able to read it.

Next everyone will be fighting about how one of the episodes turns out to be an anime adaptation of the Drama CD too. Sheesh. Apparently everyone's gotta be right or they can't sleep at night.
kevin_videoNov 17, 2008 1:27 PM
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Index - probably the most annoying character ever. ( 1 2 )

Rodaa - Jan 24, 2014

75 by Rigatoni96 »»
Apr 29, 1:35 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cabaret - Mar 18, 2009

280 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 9:09 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

darkxdestiny - Mar 12, 2009

142 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:37 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Wasabi - Mar 8, 2009

113 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 8:11 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

then - Mar 14, 2009

61 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 29, 7:44 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.