Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 24, 2014 10:52 AM

Apr 2009
Hello there! First off, if there're anyone here who likes her; good for you, but I can't seem to stand her habits and actions at all. Now I know this show is named after her, but it's seriously better off without her current personality.

Anyhow, I figured I'd make a poll about it and see how the rest of the community thinks of her, if anything.

Mod Note: Moved from Anime Discussion
rodacJan 24, 2014 8:20 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2014 10:54 AM

Dec 2010
The moetians are attacking!
Jan 24, 2014 10:57 AM

Apr 2013
You barely ever see her so I never really had a problem.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 24, 2014 10:59 AM

Apr 2009
Pknoctis said:
The moetians are attacking!
Yeah, I'm bracing myself for an eventual confrontation. They'll probably attack in hordes and surround me.
Jan 24, 2014 10:59 AM

Jan 2014
i found index to be annoying but she wasn't as bad as some other characters.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Jan 24, 2014 11:00 AM

Feb 2012
Well, all of the characters seemed bad to me. That's why I dropped it.

Can't comment past that because, well, I only saw 4 episodes but this seems like a really whiny thread.
Jan 24, 2014 11:01 AM

Jan 2014
Slyr3do0n said:

Can't comment past that because, well, I only saw 4 episodes but this seems like a really whiny thread.
-_- their are far worst anime you really should just finish it even if it is torture its still worth it.
Jan 24, 2014 11:02 AM

Jul 2011
It's hard to remember her with her amount of screentime
Jan 24, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2009
Slyr3do0n said:

Thanks for pointing that out. And yes, it's probably one of the whiniest threads tonight. Thanks for participating in it.

"It's hard to remember her with her amount of screentime."
I know, which made the series watchable. I haven't seen it for a couple of years, though, but started watching the movie today. The first 10 minutes of it made me realize what a poor character she really is.
RodaaJan 24, 2014 11:07 AM
Jan 24, 2014 11:05 AM

Sep 2013
She's the reason I can't make myself start Index II. So yeah, she's pretty darn annoying. In fact, she's my second least favourite character. After E7 Renton bitch ^^
Jan 24, 2014 11:05 AM

Apr 2013
I dropped the anime because she was too annoying, so I guess I agree with you.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jan 24, 2014 11:16 AM

Sep 2013
Gotta agree with you to some extent... There were moments when I wanted to time travel to that anime world and strangle her to death. Too bad I don't have a microwave!
Newbie Blogger: http://animetaru.wordpress.com/

You know it's funny how freedom can make us feel contained
Yeah When the muscles in our legs aren't used to all the walking...
Jan 24, 2014 12:25 PM

Apr 2013
1) Index isn't a main character of the index title. She's simply the character that start everything and hence the series has her name.
There are THREE main characters in this franchise :
Kamijou Touma
Accelerator
Hamadura Shiage

Others are side characters. Misaka Mikoto is the main character of the Railgun spin offs though. This is from the author himself in post-faces so it cannot be contested.

2) YES SHE'S FREAKING ANNOYING.

3) You know what? She's even more annoying in the light novel. some times you get 100 or 150 pages like the 9th or 17th volume of her and this is sooooooo annoying damn it.
Luckily, as of late, she almost doesn't appear anymore. Seems like the author started to find his own character annoying, I guess. Got to show how much annoying she is when even her creator is avoiding her nowadays ;p

4) Touma is a bad main character as well (but he isn't annoying, and the other two main charaters are pretty nice).
ZefyrisJan 24, 2014 12:29 PM
Jan 24, 2014 12:31 PM

Apr 2013
Zefyris said:

3) You know what? She's even more annoying in the light novel. some times you get 100 or 150 pages like the 9th or 17th volume of her and this is sooooooo annoying damn it.
Luckily, as of late, she almost doesn't appear anymore. Seems like the author started to find his own character annoying, I guess. Got to show how much annoying she is when even her creator is avoiding her nowadays ;p
Yeah she like never appears in the novels anymore, thank god.

I also think I remember reading somewhere that the author was getting bored with Index, but I can't confirm this.
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 24, 2014 12:32 PM

Jul 2013
All of the characters are annoying.
Jan 24, 2014 12:39 PM

Apr 2013
Oroboro said:

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1345/85/1345855402490.jpg
an egomaniac and a fool

Jan 24, 2014 1:51 PM

Feb 2013
Emnay said:
Oroboro said:

https://1-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/a/image/1345/85/1345855402490.jpg
I am printing these en masse right now.
Jan 24, 2014 2:00 PM

Aug 2012
Most annoying? Have you not seen Kuroko Shirai from the same series?
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 24, 2014 2:00 PM

Jan 2014
I can't say I disagree, though she's borderline bearable. I only watched it because it was related to Railgun.
Jan 24, 2014 2:02 PM

Aug 2012
Forgetfulness said:
gamer2710 said:
Index is far, far worse
Index gets more screentime, but Kuroko uses what little screentime she has in far worse ways.
Jan 24, 2014 2:09 PM

May 2013
She's a bit like Kirino for me - half and half, but I end up liking her anyway.
Jan 24, 2014 2:11 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Not my #1 pick for it but yeah definitely one of the most annoying ones I've ever seen

Forgetfulness said:
gamer2710 said:
Forgetfulness said:
gamer2710 said:
Index is far, far worse
Index gets more screentime, but Kuroko uses what little screentime she has in far worse ways.
Index constantly bitches and bites a retarded character, Kuroko feels up an awesome character. Yeah...Index is still worse for me
lolwat Kuroko is not even close to being as bad as Index

ed: yeah you pretty much summarized exactly what I was about to say (@last response)
Jan 24, 2014 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
gamer2710 said:

Anyone who read the 8th novel knows that she's pretty amazing. The fact that in one single volume Kuroko managed to impress me far more than Index who has been really active in more than a dozen of volumes tells a lot about how much their level as a character is different.

BTW, most annoying character ever isn't Index imo. I think I would give that title to Sakurai from SnO. But Index is, like I said above, extremely annoying as well and therefore isn't that far in my list....
Jan 24, 2014 3:25 PM

Dec 2011
In my opinion Index is no where near being the most annoying character.
Jan 24, 2014 3:27 PM

Feb 2013
index is moe
Jan 24, 2014 3:37 PM
May 2010
Most annoying? Not even close TBH.

Annoying as fuck though? Absolutely..

Also,
gamer2710 said:
Kuroko Shirai
= best character in that series, def not worse than index.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 4:54 PM

Mar 2012
Index is not the most annoying character ever.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you that she's annoying because she is. I just mean I can think of at least ONE character that is more annoying than her...and strangely enough, it's from another J.C. Staff anime.

Aria Kanzaki Holmes from Hidan no Aria. I am not kidding. She just might be THE most annoying anime character I've ever seen in an anime. For starters, I'm not exactly a big fan of tsundere characters to begin with. However, I do believe when it's handled well, it can make for a pretty awesome character. In this instance, my fucking God. I cannot believe how annoying Aria was. Her catch phrase "I'll put a hole in you" was exactly what I thought whenever she said it. I'd scream at my computer screen, "I'll put a hole in YOU, you annoying little bitch!" That's exactly what she is too. She's not a tsundere. She's a stone-cold bitch. The fact Kinji wanted anything to do with her just goes to show how fucking stupid he was. I'm sorry, I don't care if he's the "nice guy." No "nice" person should ever have to deal with someone so insulting.

I can live with annoying characters like Index. At least Index has the ability to be nice and compassionate. Aria on the other hand? *groans*
Jan 24, 2014 5:31 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah she is annoying but bearable,and certainly not the most annoying character ever!
Jan 24, 2014 5:34 PM

Nov 2013
Whats with the poll choices ;/
Jan 24, 2014 5:37 PM
Jul 2013
anyone remember ninja ninja from afro samurai
Jan 24, 2014 6:56 PM
Mar 2013
Index is annoying but not that annoying. At least she's not useless and knows how to fight.
Jan 24, 2014 7:23 PM

Aug 2012
Toucanbird said:
Aria Kanzaki Holmes from Hidan no Aria. I am not kidding. She just might be THE most annoying anime character I've ever seen in an anime. For starters, I'm not exactly a big fan of tsundere characters to begin with. However, I do believe when it's handled well, it can make for a pretty awesome character. In this instance, my fucking God. I cannot believe how annoying Aria was. Her catch phrase "I'll put a hole in you" was exactly what I thought whenever she said it. I'd scream at my computer screen, "I'll put a hole in YOU, you annoying little bitch!" That's exactly what she is too. She's not a tsundere. She's a stone-cold bitch. The fact Kinji wanted anything to do with her just goes to show how fucking stupid he was. I'm sorry, I don't care if he's the "nice guy." No "nice" person should ever have to deal with someone so insulting.
Take this and multiply the screen time by four. Same studio. Same voice actress. What do you get? Guess. I can tell you for sure that it's more annoying than this.

Jan 24, 2014 7:31 PM

Aug 2011
She was annoying to me when she had her teeth in Touma's skin, but I found her to be way less annoying than Little Miss Biribiri.

Jan 24, 2014 7:33 PM

Jan 2014
Tsindria said:
She was annoying to me when she had her teeth in Touma's skin, but I found her to be way less annoying than Little Miss Biribiri.
if she is that annoying why did she have two season of spin off shows made featuring her as the main character?
Jan 24, 2014 7:36 PM

Jan 2014
Forgetfulness said:
text27 said:
Tsindria said:
if she is that annoying why did she have two season of spin off shows made featuring her as the main character?
And why are those spinoffs more successful than the original series?
because of fan-service and touma is really bland.
Jan 24, 2014 8:18 PM

Jul 2013
MajinSaga said:
Shuhan said:
I love Leonardo DiCaprio.

Yeah, what the hell is wrong with Leonardo DiCaprio op?

he thinks yelling a lot is acting
Jan 24, 2014 8:23 PM

Aug 2011
Forgetfulness said:
text27 said:
Tsindria said:

Newsflash: Me personally finding her annoying has nothing to do with her spin-off series.

Sit down, fanboys.

Jan 25, 2014 12:29 AM

Aug 2009
text27 said:
Forgetfulness said:
text27 said:
Tsindria said:
because of fan-service and touma is really bland.

Implying that Railgun has none of that.

And by bland I mean your definition of bland.Because if we compare what both MCs do in each series they arent different at all.Except for the powers.And that Touma wont despair that easily.
Lanik said:
Index is annoying but not that annoying. At least she's not useless and knows how to fight.

Amazed someone mentioned that.

For someone that cant use magic she sure helped a lot in very important parts of the story
ssjokgJan 25, 2014 12:34 AM
Jan 25, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2013
Like i said on the Railgun Forum:

"I didn't like the story and characters (except Touma) related to Index...

Actually, i watched Index after Railgun only for Misaka, Sisters, Accelerator and Last Order events."

Index may not be the most annoying character but it's definitely not a good character for me. I can understand people who like her though.
Jan 25, 2014 1:23 PM

Apr 2013
And that Touma wont despair that easily.

I think pretty much 99,99999% of 14 years old childs would despair far BEFORE that.
It's not that Touma doesn't despair that easily. Besides, he isn't a good character enough to actually shows some good emotions realistically like despair in bad situations. It's that he's an emotionless walking deus ex machina, no matter how much the situation is desperate he's just throwing his punch around and everything somehow is solved. The enemy is no longer the enemy, and if that was a girl she goes right into loving him (one sided on top of this) to boot.
How REALISTIC.
As if the situations he was in could be solved by his poor talks and just a punch in the face of the opponent. Sounds more like a way to solve a dispute in the backyard of a grade school than a way to save thousands of lives, right.
Index as a side character is extremely bad. Touma as a Main character is awful. And the conclusion of most arcs is nothing but a huge disappointment, especially if Touma is involved. Too bad since the verse is actually pretty nice, that some characters are cool and likable. Without Touma and Index, that LN would actually be pretty good to read.
Jan 25, 2014 1:31 PM

Jun 2013
Actually it could possibly be mako from kill la kill. That speech speed x.x or that girl from kaze no stigma
Jan 25, 2014 3:12 PM

Aug 2009
Zefyris said:
And that Touma wont despair that easily.

I think pretty much 99,99999% of 14 years old childs would despair far BEFORE that.

Except that in Index there are many 14 year old (or younger)that are dont despair easily.

It's not that Touma doesn't despair that easily. Besides, he isn't a good character enough to actually shows some good emotions realistically like despair in bad situations.

New Testament 6,NT 9 and ever time he mentions those he didnt save in NT 4.

It's that he's an emotionless walking deus ex machina, no matter how much the situation is desperate he's just throwing his punch around and everything somehow is solved. The enemy is no longer the enemy, and if that was a girl she goes right into loving him (one sided on top of this) to boot.
How REALISTIC.
Except that he is never alone even when he fights.The whole point of the series,for Touma, is the bonds he created because of his fights.JUst because it doesnt seem realistic,just like everything from the best chars of the series, doesnt mean that it is bad.

As if the situations he was in could be solved by his poor talks and just a punch in the face of the opponent. Sounds more like a way to solve a dispute in the backyard of a grade school than a way to save thousands of lives, right.

In the world of Index it can.Especially when more than half of his enemies are of his age or younger.And AC invasion,Civil War, WW3 wasnt just his poor talks and punches that saved thousands billions.
Just because the enemies can realize the error of their ways doesnt mean that it is bad as long as it makes sense.

Index as a side character is extremely bad. Touma as a Main character is awful. And the conclusion of most arcs is nothing but a huge disappointment, especially if Touma is involved. Too bad since the verse is actually pretty nice, that some characters are cool and likable. Without Touma and Index, that LN would actually be pretty good to read.

When Index is actually used in a story she is pretty good.Touma moves the entire story.Even the cool and likeable chars are cool and likeable because of him.
I cant understand how the one that shapes those chars into what they are can be awful.
Jan 25, 2014 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
ssjokg said:

Except that in Index there are many 14 year old (or younger)that are dont despair easily.

Sure enough. Most of Index's characters aren't developed enough to despair anyway.

It's not that Touma doesn't despair that easily. Besides, he isn't a good character enough to actually shows some good emotions realistically like despair in bad situations.

You do realize that it took him almost 30 volumes to have an emotional development worth mentioning since he lost his memories, right.

Except that he is never alone even when he fights.The whole point of the series,for Touma, is the bonds he created because of his fights.JUst because it doesnt seem realistic,just like everything from the best chars of the series, doesnt mean that it is bad.

You clearly just recognised right now that as a main character the only thing he does to solve problems is to throw a punch you know? That could be alright as a minor character, but as a main character of a series which reached 30 + volumes it's awfully bad?

In the world of Index it can
No it can't. that's just plainly stupid, there's limit about the suspension of disbelief you know.

Just because the enemies can realize the error of their ways doesnt mean that it is bad as long as it makes sense.

It's fine when it happens ONLY sometimes during the story and when the hero is actually eloquent and convincing, like Masazumi from Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon for example, and not just spouting the first thing a kindergärtner would think of.
And when the same scenario is being repeated for 20+ enemies in a row, that just means that the series is bad.

When Index is actually used in a story she is pretty good.

Which is like 2% of the time when she's around. 98% of the time she's just used to do poor repetitive jokes and annoying fan service, and you know it. But yes. During those time she's good.
She's pretty good 2% of the time, my bad you were right. Wait a minute, doesn't that mean that you didn't deny the fact that she is bad 98% of the time...? Even by being large and saying that it's 10%, it still makes her bad 90% of the time, that's pretty awful if you ask me...

.I cant understand how the one that shapes those chars into what they are can be awful.

There's far more bad characters in Index than good one, and quite a good amount of the good one didn't got changed by Touma in order to be good. Some were actually far better BEFORE they entered Touma's harem, so their encounter made them worse.
I don't see how this save Touma from disgrace. BTW what really changed Accelerator wasn't touma, but last order and his two "guardians".

Index is the worse character I saw in a LN so far.
Touma is the worse main character I saw (I 'm not counting Torii as a main character since he almost never appears in the story, if he counts then he's the only one worse than Touma) in a LN and by far.
ZefyrisJan 25, 2014 3:50 PM
Jan 25, 2014 4:16 PM

Aug 2009
I dont see how the amount of development they have,makes them capable of despair.
Just because not all can be mindfucked like Accelerator can,just because of his backstory, doesnt mean that they are badly development.

Doesnt matter,he did show them.Just because there wasnt a situation where he would be 100% desperate doesnt mean he SHOULD have been.

You clearly just recognised right now that as a main character the only thing he does to solve problems is to throw a punch you know? That could be alright as a minor character, but as a main character of a series which reached 30 + volumes it's awfully bad?

Again:Except that he is never alone even when he fights.
Simply seeing what he has accomplished can make his enemies or allies change the view of their world.Ofc he will throe a punch,he isnt capable to fight any other way.But he didnt change all those people,including the best of the series, because he was punching them.

Yes it can.That you ignored the rest of the line doesnt mean it cant.

Except that even for this 2% she contributes to the story.Even if for the rest of the series she does nothing other than bad jokes doesnt make her worse than chars with few parts but same amount of plot related scenes.
Accelerators growth came from his "jealousy" of Touma, because he is what he wanted to be.LO and his guardians tried to show him that he can became like that.If it wasnt for Touma,his random speeches and punches he wouldnt listen any of them.
Same for Shiage.He didnt change because he fall in love.He changed because he thought about what Touma said.
Jan 26, 2014 10:32 PM

Jul 2012
Kamijou Touma is the poster boy for shounen MC deconstruction. The latest NT volume (9) proves this w/ a million exclamation points (and then some). Here he admits his plot armor and tries to get rid of it (the only shounen MC I know of who attempted this), admits his preaching is just him spouting some things he thought of at the spur of the moment (again the only shounen MC I know of who blatantly admits this) and , most importantly, admits that despite him seeming to be a main character he is still but a human and a person (some MCs have already done this but after what Touma has gone through in volume 9 his admission of this fact is one of the most impacting in this genre). All of his ideals were broken down completely. It was so utterly complete and perfectly executed that he had no choice but to admit that his ideals and the core of his being is nothing but a load of bull.

He deems himself the ultimate evil because even after seeing everyone he knows and loves perfectly happy he still went ahead and destroyed that utopia in order to save someone he first deemed to be far too low in his priority list... himself. It's extremely selfish and he admits it and will probably guilt trip him throughout the rest of his life but he still went ahead w/ it. Any other standard shounen hero would have found a magical(?) way to keep everyone happy and save him/herself along in the process. Touma admits that to be impossible and listened to his own selfish desires.

But he compromises that a perfect world that needs someone to be sacrificed is something that needs to be destroyed. Even if that someone is himself. Be selfish. That was the locus of his character development and I, for one, gained a lot of respect for the guy after what he went through in NT 9. Seriously all the suffering shounen mains went through in each of their respective series cannot even compare to the suffering Touma went through in a single book.

And as for his preaching this time it was not preaching of ideals from empty air. He was methodically breaking down Othinus after understanding, for the most part, exactly what makes her tick. He destroyed her core just as mercilessly as she destroyed his. And it was beautiful.

Mad respect man.

swordstriker21Jan 26, 2014 11:07 PM
Jan 27, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2014
Oh. My. Freaking. God. I thought I was the only one who thought this. Someone recommended this anime to me and the whole time I'm watching it I couldn't help but think it had to be me... cause of how much my friend praised the anime...
I appreciate your love without the envy~
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

200 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2008

151 by whitebeartigtig »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 25, 2008

157 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 24, 2:30 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Oct 11, 2008

204 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 24, 2:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.