3It was OK
8.1%
2Disliked it
3.6%
1Hated it
0.6%
Average 4.5
335 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Nov 1, 2008 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
There's a lot of interesting conflicts between magic and science.

But how did Touma find out he should dig into Index' mouth?
And whoa Index is scary in that defense mode^^
Nov 1, 2008 11:39 AM

Jul 2008
Well you should check out the manga for that! YEAH STORY DOES FOLLOW THE MANGA! SO I LIKE THAT!

*Mod edit*
aeroNov 17, 2008 3:19 PM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 1, 2008 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
Maybe I should lock in myself while watching to not be distracted xD - could increase my comprehension when it comes to such magical terms.
Studying occult.. mhm, for me it should be enough sneaking into the manga I think.

Had another look into the episode, Index' grimoires are protected by 3 necklaces, with this one being the St-George holy land shield, did I get it now?
Nov 2, 2008 7:16 AM
Dec 2007
Hum there was a lot of talking in this episode. A bit too much for its own good, talking about ethic and magic is good once in a while but the logical implication and the development of the anime isn't getting better thanks to that... Still somewhat enjoyable and most characters are interesting (even if we see only a very small part of the cast since episode 2).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 2, 2008 7:56 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
I enjoyed the talking, it was a really good episode. It's still only a prelude, so hell yeah it is developing. Lots of episodes are to come and I'm looking forward to watching them.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Nov 2, 2008 8:01 AM

Feb 2008
God damn cliffhangers all the time, just as it was getting good too!

A much better episode than the previous two, but those episodes were necessary exposition to make this episode that much better. Index looked really cool at the end, I'm hoping that Index returns a lot in this show, it would create a nice balance between the cute Index and this badass Index.
Nov 2, 2008 8:08 AM

Jun 2008
Damn good episode.. but cliffhangers! Gah. Next episode looks epic, can't wait.
Nov 2, 2008 8:53 AM

Apr 2008
Fantastic episode! Can't wait for the next one!
Nov 2, 2008 9:01 AM

Aug 2008
What a twist! The phonebook wasn't epic, but the next ep will be! Big times!

Ps: I hope he washed his hands.. Index might survive the whole incident, but get some nasty infection later
Nov 2, 2008 9:22 AM

May 2007
Okay, so I really am starting to love this anime. For this kind of genre, the plot is quite refreshing and the main characters are different enough so you won't expect them to act in a way that's already predicted.

However, I am a little frustrated with the pacing of the last few episodes. There's a lot of explanation of things and not enough plot movement. Rather, there is plot movement, but its going at a snail's pace.

I really love the forefront of the science vs. magic things this anime has going for it. It's quite interesting, hasn't been done before in this kind of way, and really, the potential for what direction it could go in are plenty.

Just please, pick up the pace a bit.
Nov 2, 2008 9:37 AM

May 2008
My patience is running thin with this series. The first two episodes were good, but after episode episode.....i think I'll just stick to the Novel and To Aru Kagaku no Choudenjibou
Nov 2, 2008 9:39 AM

Oct 2008
I'm sure the sixth episode will pick up speed like it did for the first two episodes.
Nov 2, 2008 11:09 AM

Jul 2008
SimsHsia said:
I'm sure the sixth episode will pick up speed like it did for the first two episodes.

Can only hope, not to say that this still isn't good, but they needed to slow the pace to develop the backstory a little bit. I dunno, I still absolutely am in love with the concept of this, and as Cyruz said; it's still only a prelude, so it's only going to get better. All we can do is hope for a little faster pacing, but it shoudln't take to long to get there.

"I'd suck you~" Berri||Desu Ne?
Nov 2, 2008 11:27 AM

Dec 2007
Yeah I feel they could've compressed the past 3 episodes into 2 episodes. But I'm guessing they're doing it for the long run. The anime is (probably) going to be 24+ episodes.

But can't wait for the next episode...

Nov 2, 2008 11:46 AM

Jul 2008
not really much happened but the end was awesome. And now i think they finally have a enemy they will fight.

Nov 2, 2008 11:55 AM

Dec 2007
I thought it was quite a good episode. A nice build up for next week. I'm definitely looking forward to that episode.
Nov 2, 2008 12:41 PM

Jan 2007
pacing problems aside, that end was awesome. i loved the way Index looked when her powers activated.
Nov 2, 2008 1:03 PM

Mar 2008
Excellent episode, really a great turn of events. Can't wait to see next episode.
Nov 2, 2008 1:34 PM

Jan 2008
Now, this was a good episode and the cliffhanger was really nice as well ^^ Definitely loving Index so far, she is such a cute, hilarious yet frightening XD character, gahh, waiting for the next week for the next episode has already started to become a burden, lol ^^
Nov 2, 2008 1:52 PM

Oct 2008
I think it was a good episode with a nice portion of new information about Index condition. You could say that it was a slow paced episode but I think J.C. Staff is doing a great job following the novel material instead of trying to come up with "original" iideas
Nov 2, 2008 1:59 PM

Aug 2008
Just meh. Pretty boring. Nothing worth mentioning but ok I guess.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 2, 2008 2:28 PM

Jul 2008
Pure awesomeness like always :).

Next week is gonna be epic, Imagine breaker FTW

By the way someone know where I can read the manga online? It's rare that I read some manga but this serie is fucking good.
Nov 2, 2008 2:46 PM

Mar 2008
Nov 2, 2008 2:49 PM

Feb 2008
lol of course distance would be the best method...haha
good episode.
Nov 2, 2008 3:34 PM
Oct 2008
Pretty good episode, i have seen this whole got to save the girl when she goes into defense mode but what i want to see is a actual fight between the 2 to save her not oh she put up a barrier and i got to get through
Nov 2, 2008 4:10 PM

Sep 2007
Oh Touma, why are you so awesome. Looks like we have a series. 5/5
Nov 2, 2008 4:35 PM

Sep 2008
Awesome episode...but damn, the cliffhanger was kinda annoying cause it'll be ages till the next episode. This anime is off to a really good start!
Nov 2, 2008 7:32 PM

Jan 2008
angel999 said:
The question all ASK OF WHY TOUMA KNEW THAT HE HAD TO GO INSIDE HER MOUTH TO HELP HER ACTIVATE

Really. And I thought it would be in a completely different orifice.

Other than the above silliness, it was a really good Epi.
Nov 2, 2008 8:04 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Touma was annoying for 20 minutes of the episode.

only the last 3 minutes was worth watching....

bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Nov 2, 2008 8:05 PM

Jul 2008
datsunvic said:
angel999 said:
The question all ASK OF WHY TOUMA KNEW THAT HE HAD TO GO INSIDE HER MOUTH TO HELP HER ACTIVATE

maybe he should try the way motosuwa hideki did, in Chobits *giggle*
Website http://akariREMOVED.co.cc/sig/sig.php is reporting as Malware.
Nov 2, 2008 8:16 PM

Apr 2008
AkariChan said:
datsunvic said:
angel999 said:

maybe he should try the way motosuwa hideki did, in Chobits *giggle*

that was epic haha.
Nov 2, 2008 8:19 PM
Dec 2007
wakka9ca said:

They did took too long on the "but maybe science can save her !" Seriously, he just had to ask his Sensei about it and problem solved. I mean, dear god Touma. She's a professor in Academy City, she should know at least A LITTLE about neurology or something, or known someone who did.

At least the whole "Hmm, isn't this a bit too convenient" revelation was revealed as a scam and the Church ended up being some real manipulators. Well, not unlike most Churches I think.

Nov 2, 2008 9:27 PM

Mar 2008
This series is horrible with the cliffhangers :(.
Nov 2, 2008 9:54 PM

Apr 2008
I'm liking the development here. Touma, Index, Stiyl, and Kanzaki seem to be rallying under one team, against the Church. Looking forward to the future episodes.
Nov 3, 2008 12:14 AM

Mar 2008
what a climax for ep5...i can't wait for the next episode!
Nov 3, 2008 12:25 AM

Apr 2007
shit I almost pissed myself seeing that awesome defense mode St. George Sanctuary!!
Index looked so freakin cool there, plus that Kanzaki is pretty hawt, + Komoe sensei bath scene.... <333
Nov 3, 2008 12:37 AM
Jun 2008
woww
wat a twist! this plot is developing well and i love the concept.
and for a sec, i thought it was gonna b a cheap ecchi moment with the lip thing, but j.c.staff sure proved me wrong xD;
they did it relli well and i cant wiat to see how they get index to snap outta that freaky lookin mode.
Nov 3, 2008 12:48 AM

Jul 2007
i thought for awhile there that index would be pulling off a chii(from chobits) and have her seal somewhere farther below. thank god it wasnt XD

well in any case, this might be a little bit too predictable, since touma's right hand hasnt failed him yet when battling against esper powers and magic stuff.
Nov 3, 2008 3:35 AM

Jul 2008
GLAD YOU ALL LIKE the crazy Defence Mode of Index. I have come to the conclusion that this might have more extras than the manga........SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD FOR SURE!

YEAH people you all should know about Churches and scams.ESPECIALLY CHURCHES WHO USE BLACK MAGIC! LOL TOO BAD FOR THEM.

Technically speaking if any of you WATCH HEROES TV SHOW you should know about the Haitian guy........he can remove memories and he is a esper.........SO YEAH TOUMA MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE IN THE CITY THAT CAN HELP INDEX!

THE BRAIN EXPLANATION WAS GOOD. JUST LIKE IN THE MANGA EVEN FOR THE WORDS! Good! good!
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 3, 2008 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
angel999 said:
GLAD YOU ALL LIKE the crazy Defence Mode of Index. I have come to the conclusion that this might have more extras than the manga........SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD FOR SURE!

YEAH people you all should know about Churches and scams.ESPECIALLY CHURCHES WHO USE BLACK MAGIC! LOL TOO BAD FOR THEM.

Technically speaking if any of you WATCH HEROES TV SHOW you should know about the Haitian guy........he can remove memories and he is a esper.........SO YEAH TOUMA MIGHT HAVE SOMEONE IN THE CITY THAT CAN HELP INDEX!

THE BRAIN EXPLANATION WAS GOOD. JUST LIKE IN THE MANGA EVEN FOR THE WORDS! Good! good!

Uh, please stop using caps~ It's pretty distracting. D:

Anyway, I found this episode kinda boring, but it was interesting to have Touma, Kanzaki, Stiyl and Index (but she was unconscious, aww) in the same room. They look like they'd make a good team, and I hope there's an arc where they're all fighting together or something, hehe.
Nov 3, 2008 4:04 AM

Jul 2008
corroded said:
i thought for awhile there that index would be pulling off a chii(from chobits) and have her seal somewhere farther below. thank god it wasnt XD

well in any case, this might be a little bit too predictable, since touma's right hand hasnt failed him yet when battling against esper powers and magic stuff.

haha, that's exactly what I thought. but seriously, how the heck does one guess that it's in the upper jaw????
Website http://akariREMOVED.co.cc/sig/sig.php is reporting as Malware.
Nov 3, 2008 6:45 AM

Nov 2007
i have to say the planning for each episode is done really well. they always end in such a way that makes you really want to see what happens next week.
Nov 3, 2008 9:46 AM

Jan 2008
Wasn't bad. He mostly stayed in the apartment and called places. A better idea than running around the entire city like he did in the manga. Hopefully next week stays true to the manga, and makes it epic.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Nov 3, 2008 10:12 AM

Sep 2008
this just keeps going downhill, they talk way to freaken much.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Nov 3, 2008 10:21 AM

Dec 2007
Jigero said:
this just keeps going downhill, they talk way to freaken much.

I thought I was the only one to think like that D:
Quite boring.
Nov 3, 2008 11:42 AM

Aug 2008
TAMnI delivers once again. So basically her brain was formatted (kinda like a hard drive). Makes total sense, so luckily no stupid deus ex machina.
AkariChan said:
but seriously, how the heck does one guess that it's in the upper jaw????
He just guessed it would be in her mouth, since that's the gateway to the 103,000 books. Her voice changes whenever she goes into recital mode, and it's not that is just looses emotion. Personally, I thought that he'd have to directly touch her brain, which would really suck. I am so glad Touma didn't pull a Hideki — it wouldn't have made any sense, plus I hate Chobits (can't exactly say that as I haven't finished it yet).

I found Stiyl calling Touma a monster to be really annoying, it was so hypocritical.

Leon-Gun said:
wakka9ca said:

They did took too long on the "but maybe science can save her !" Seriously, he just had to ask his Sensei about it and problem solved. I mean, dear god Touma. She's a professor in Academy City, she should know at least A LITTLE about neurology or something, or known someone who did.
Except the teacher was out during most of that time, and when he did call her, she didn't have her phone on her. And was that a dial phone he was using? XD
At least the whole "Hmm, isn't this a bit too convenient" revelation was revealed as a scam and the Church ended up being some real manipulators. Well, not unlike most Churches I think.
>.< was that really necessary?

Oh, and:
maxime1007 said:
By the way someone know where I can read the manga online? It's rare that I read some manga but this serie is fucking good.
OneManga.com.
JadeMatrixNov 3, 2008 11:47 AM
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Nov 3, 2008 11:44 AM

Jul 2007
AkariChan said:
corroded said:

haha, that's exactly what I thought. but seriously, how the heck does one guess that it's in the upper jaw????

Remember whenever Index got's mad her jaw appears before she even bites Toma.
Episode 1 - Biting Toma all over the body for seeing her naked.
Episode 3 - Biting Toma on the head and on his way to the bath (Her jaw appears).

He was thinking of checking Index lower part of the body too lol but probably he thinks that Necessarius won't do such thing and place it on that part of the body made him guess it would be her jaws.

Nov 3, 2008 12:51 PM

Apr 2008
Awesome Episode and badass Index looks interesting.

Looking forward to the next Episode :)

Nov 3, 2008 1:31 PM

Jul 2008
JadeMatrix said:
TAMnI delivers once again. So basically her brain was formatted (kinda like a hard drive). Makes total sense, so luckily no stupid deus ex machina.
AkariChan said:
but seriously, how the heck does one guess that it's in the upper jaw????
He just guessed it would be in her mouth, since that's the gateway to the 103,000 books. Her voice changes whenever she goes into recital mode, and it's not that is just looses emotion. Personally, I thought that he'd have to directly touch her brain, which would really suck. I am so glad Touma didn't pull a Hideki — it wouldn't have made any sense, plus I hate Chobits (can't exactly say that as I haven't finished it yet).

I found Stiyl calling Touma a monster to be really annoying, it was so hypocritical.

Leon-Gun said:
wakka9ca said:

Except the teacher was out during most of that time, and when he did call her, she didn't have her phone on her. And was that a dial phone he was using? XD
>.< was that really necessary?

Oh, and:
maxime1007 said:
OneManga.com.

try this:
h**p://www.onemanga.com/To_Aru_Majutsu_no_Index/
Nov 3, 2008 2:56 PM

Dec 2007
yes .. only the end of the ep was really good. But maybe Touma will stop thinking too much now he's became smarter ? XD

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 6, 2008

139 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 5:13 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 29, 2008

206 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 4:22 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 22, 2008

115 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 3:47 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 15, 2008

146 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 3:29 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

200 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 25, 4:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.