Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 21, 2008 1:32 PM

Aug 2008
Guy! Very bizarre this anime! A desolate world, and some humans and robots!
Black future, no doubt.
Oct 21, 2008 2:52 PM

Sep 2008
So is casshern human than? Was that blood or oil, I thought it was blood making him human..
Oct 22, 2008 4:49 AM

May 2008
I'm learning not to get too attached to any new characters. :(
Oct 22, 2008 8:57 AM

Jun 2008
dairysorbet said:
I'm learning not to get too attached to any new characters. :(

Yeah, I should do this too. That was just...oh man. It was expected, but by the end of the very first episode he appeared in?! ARG! ;~;

Very nice episode though. I'd be repeating what everyone else has already said by agreeing that the interaction between Casshern and Akoes was just lovely and sidgjfg can't wait for more.

Oct 22, 2008 12:45 PM

Feb 2008
waht so he bleeds? hahaha red that is.

this was a rather deep episode. why would you run knowing the goal is death? wahts more hopeless is that to not run also lead to death. so doing nothing and doing something are essentially the same.

it seems they are adding characters one by one. i like that. this is getting more and more interesting.
Oct 22, 2008 12:47 PM

Oct 2007
Great episode! really funny when it was Casshern go to hunt the lizard XD

looking forward to the next episode!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2008 2:47 PM

May 2008
All around good episode despite its lack of action.
Maybe the best series this season, but I can't say for sure. Plus Clannad is tough competition.
Oct 22, 2008 8:49 PM

Jun 2007
Stupidly, I decided to watch all 3 subbed episodes of Casshern Sins instead of getting a few hours sleep. I'm very rarely in the anime watching mood of late, so I thought I'd take advantage of TotA reigniting my interest.

Casshern is very slow paced, almost to the point that I felt nothing was happening, but it never bored me. It's going to take awhile to judge if it's worthy of my time or not when it seems like no plot details, or information about the Casshern universe in general, is going to be provided until Casshern has wondered about the lands fighting lots of robots. It's a bit disappointing that no explanation has been provided as to why robots are rusting away, but it isn't exactly shocking when just about every anime series in existence reveals as little as possible about the plot at he start.

I do like the post-apocalyptic setting, usage of dark/gloomy colours and depressing feel - it's right up my street. If I had an idea what Casshern is and why the robots are rusting I'd probably rate it something like 9/10, but based on the slow paced first three episodes I can only give it 7/10. I have a feeling it'll get better as it goes on; I'll have to wait and see.

The three new series I've tried are ranked like this so far:

1: Tales of the Abyss (8-9/10)
2: Casshern Sins (6-8/10)
3: Chaos Head (4-6/10)

I'll probably give some more new series a go tomorrow - it depends how I feel.
Oct 23, 2008 9:46 PM

Jun 2007
Man I freaking love the Opening *_*...
Great episode, so bad Akoes had to die but glad that Friender joined Casshern
Wait was Akoes voiced by the same as Ginko?? *checks*... yay!
Oct 27, 2008 3:30 PM

Feb 2008
SeventotheSeven said:
sigh.. I'm loving this anime lol!. But srsly, Akoes: you're not the grim reaper casshern not everyone around you dies! *Akoes then proceeds to die* XDXDXD GAAAH

I think this is not meant funny at all. From my point of view Akoes said this in order to make Casshern feel better. Akoes knew that he would not last much longer, so he leaves before his death can become another burden for Casshern. Nice last move for a really interesting "1 episode" character! ^^

Deadpool135 said:
This series has everything going for it! Brilliant dialogue, fitting music, eye-popping animation, an intriguing story, and original characters. I love the whole atmosphere. My favorite episode so far.

Totally agree!
Oct 28, 2008 12:10 PM

Apr 2008
All I can say is that this was epic episode of LotGH poportions and I'm glad I "got" everything.
wtfyourface said:
MistaCloudStrife said:
From 100-1000, how much do you love LWL?
OVER 9000!!!
Oct 29, 2008 6:25 AM

Feb 2008
I keep getting into this series a little more every episode.
I'm really getting that Kino vibe aswell.
Nov 7, 2008 12:31 PM

Oct 2007
what a pathetic show -.-

WOW OLD FART DIES!! SOOO DRAMATIC!! OMG!! UNBELIVEABLE!!! :O

How is it possible to put so much shit into a single episode?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 7, 2008 4:20 PM

Oct 2008
Peralisc said:
what a pathetic show -.-

WOW OLD FART DIES!! SOOO DRAMATIC!! OMG!! UNBELIVEABLE!!! :O

How is it possible to put so much shit into a single episode?

Piling waste upon more waste is something you irritating lot that dwell this rock are very capable of.
Your simple world can be a fantastic place, you just have to know where to look.
Nov 11, 2008 9:34 PM

May 2008
bubblehead said:
Still not sure how I feel about this series. I might end up liking it, but it'll have to keep improving for that to happen.

Also hoping not all the episodes end in downers. Too much of that and I just stop caring.

I'm kind of feeling the same way; I don't really know where its headed or if it will interest me enough, but the animation style is freaking amazing
Nov 12, 2008 8:16 AM

May 2008
Everybody dies.:(

When do I get to see loli again?

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Oct 1, 2009 10:16 PM

Jul 2008
wow an actual human, too bad hes got a disease thats slowly killing him
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Aug 21, 2010 8:44 AM

Aug 2009
...Can his suit repair itself?

Awesome ep 5/5
Aug 26, 2010 10:58 AM

Dec 2008
Oh my goddess, I'm afraid if I watch anymore episodes I may end up on all kinds of antidepressants. This is an amazing anime, with so many sad moments. I keep forgetting that Casshern is a cyborg because he seems to be so full of human emotion.

And Friender...he's so cute!! I want a pet like that!
Dec 13, 2010 10:25 AM

Aug 2009
It feels a little like Kino's Journey meets Mushi-Shi meets tearing apart robots. I love it! :D

Jul 20, 2011 11:55 AM

Oct 2009
To me, Akoes worked like a cameo from Mushishi. Yes, his attitude, his philosophy, his hair, the way he keeps coughing like he'd smoked cigarettes all his life... I saw Ginko in him right away. And even more so when I heard him talk; I immediately recognized his voice. God, I love Nakano-san's voice. I adore this episode, and I loved listening to Akoes' view on life.

The end of Ginko's journey in a subjective way ;_;
Jun 9, 2012 10:42 PM

Mar 2012
Man, this series is pretty depressing so far. At least, Casshern now has a traveling buddy in Friender. However, judging from where this is heading, it might not be for long.
Jun 11, 2012 1:52 PM

Apr 2012
This show is absolutely amazing even if it is an odd choice for the Adult Swim crowd. This is a deep and contemplative show and it has very little good to say about human nature and even when something good happens it comes with a steep price. I really love it.
Jun 19, 2012 12:21 PM

Oct 2011
when he said "bye" i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO he gonna DIE and he did!!!........and it still was sad!
May 4, 2013 12:00 AM
Aug 2011
"It's tiring to keep on running."

btw, Friender acquired!
Jan 12, 2014 9:27 PM

Nov 2013
Whenever I watch this I feel like I took a trip to the 90s...

Feb 21, 2014 7:33 AM

May 2012
Pretty sad ending, I actually liked that new character but yea let's see what's next!
Feb 25, 2014 3:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm really digging this series, but I don't think I can marathon it like I've done with other series I like. The bleakness would just get to me at some point.

At least he now has a "Friender"
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 11, 2014 5:07 AM

Jan 2013
Depression is the keyword here. Another brilliant episode, another great character in the name of Akoes. Kinda relieved he accepted his death in grace, also poor Casshern not even knowing about it. Also, Friender not killing Casshern was another great piece of characterization.
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 24, 2014 12:36 PM

Nov 2011
TheJuggernaut said:
weakest ep so far, but it was still enjoyable. Next ep looks way better, but at least Friender was reunited with his master.

WEAKEST!? NIGGA
WHAT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JESUS CHRIST!! I KNEW IT!! THAT'S FUCKIN' GINKO'S VOICE. OOOOOH MMYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Feels great to see a radical incarnation of Ginko. The way he thinks and speaks, he's like an aggressive Ginko.

But it feels bad to know that the episode Akoes/Akos gets introduced in is the same episode he dies in.

But then after watching the preview, it feels good to finally get a grasp of how CASSHERN Sins will most likely be like in the future eps. There's a new character - a pink-haired fighter dyke - who will be in the next ep (according to the preview, totally not a spoiler (but shit, even if it was a spoiler, why would you be here then you ass)). Feels even better that it's like a JRPG where you come across new characters and recruit them as you travel (though in this case, it seems like everyone else who joins Casshern will die (except Friender since he's still alive (or is he not since he's a robot and robot's don't have life (but how can we be so sure that robots don't have lives when they need recharging/refuelling just like us with food and water)))).

Shit.

3 eps in, I can't control my nipples already. This ain't a feel-good anime. THIS IS A FEEL-GREAT ANIME. I can sense the deep, dark shit coming already (though this is the deepest one yet, since we have Ginko as the lecturer on life).
Jan 31, 2015 8:11 AM
Mar 2014
The scene at the start of the episode was pretty sad, seeing all those corpes lying on the ground and the face of Casshern realising he was the one responsible for it.
Apr 3, 2015 9:56 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Ginko's voiiice :D Instantly recognized it. Another slow, yet sad ending episode. Although Casshern did not harm anyone this time, the only human he's ever met dies shortly after meeting. If only they had met earlier and been companions, but I guess that would make goodbye harder, and at least Akos left after Friender came. Casshern won't be alone then. But Akos was also an upbeat guy that the series kind of needed with the depressing and quiet atmosphere. Really enjoyed his conversations with Casshern.
May 7, 2015 1:50 PM

Aug 2013
Sucks that Akoz died I was kinda hoping he'd stick around a little longer.
Jul 27, 2015 8:21 AM

Dec 2009
Good episode. It's a shame to see another character go so soon, but at least Wrench's wish was fulfilled by having Friender go with Casshern.

By the way, Wrench already died last episode, right? Some people said she did this episode, but in my interpretation her lifeless body just started to rust away till her entire form was gone, since it was told that things become fragile once it loses its consciousness. Very sad to see nonetheless.
Oct 25, 2015 1:58 AM

Jan 2010

"Humans always contradict themselves. We just sit back and enjoy the times when logic need not apply. And that's enough."

Another episode filled with dread, despair, drama, depression and death. Coincidentally all beginning with the letter D for no real reason, but regardless, I do get where Casshern is coming from. It's just a little too heavy handed for my tastes, especially when he just gave up fighting against Friender. If this show were more bloody and DEEP, then I probably would have hated it, but I think I'm starting to really appreciate the minor characters. Akoz was a great little diversion, as he brought a similar cynical view of the world, yet with an acceptance to its contradictory nature. His laid back, carefree attitude lightened the episode, which was needed after the slaughterfest of the previous episode.

Besides that, I do have a few nitpicks. I can accept that Casshern can regenerate, but his clothes do as well? Are they part of his body then? This'll probably be explained, but for now it's a minor detail that sticks out to me. Also, I understand how Friender is a sidekick from the previous series, but in Casshern Sins, a name like is just out of place. I can feel the 70s goofiness seep in every time Friender shows up, even though I like the idea of a kickass non-talking robotic pet.

Beyond those little things, I'm still enjoying Casshern Sins. It puts you in this calm mood, perfect for mulling over topics regarding morality, purpose, and all that fun stuff. The more I watch it though, the more I realize just how hard it's trying to be meaningful, and I'm not sure if it's all working out yet. It's one thing to have a message, but it's another to deliver that message in a non-egotistical manner, as if you were looking down on your audience in their ignorance. I'm hoping that Casshern Sins doesn't become the latter, and instead presents its messages in smart, subtle ways that take advantage of its great atmosphere.
Jan 3, 2016 2:38 AM

Jan 2013
Nice to see one of the final humans.
5/5 for this episode too.
Mar 23, 2016 8:17 PM

Nov 2014
The conversations in this series are so deceptively introspective.

5/5
Oct 28, 2017 5:15 AM
Jan 2017
This anime has a really grim atmosphere,everybody just dying.But atleast it doesn't comes off as pretentious so far.
May 31, 2019 1:33 PM

Jul 2016
Boring episode. Developed them? Sure. Dull? Sure.
Apr 20, 2020 8:22 AM

Feb 2020
Wait, who closed the guy's eyes ? It wasn't Casshern...
I must say this guy was pretty annoying (but it might be because of his voice as I've been forced to watch this ep with my country's dub... I'll try to watch it with the original dub), but he was quite interesting.
However, I'm liking more and more Casshern. He is such an intriguing character. Now, I'm guessing this show will be about redemption ? I could be wrong though.
Well, I'll see ! I didn't like this episode as much as the other two but it was still interesting, I can't wait to see Casshern's character evolve.
I must say though, that so much darkness and despair is starting to be a bit too heavy. I'm not at all expecting it to change, but as much as I like it, it makes it difficult for me to watch more than one episode at a time.
FafetteApr 20, 2020 8:27 AM
Apr 20, 2021 10:15 AM

Jan 2014
Shocked said:

It's one thing to have a message, but it's another to deliver that message in a non-egotistical manner, as if you were looking down on your audience in their ignorance. I'm hoping that Casshern Sins doesn't become the latter, and instead presents its messages in smart, subtle ways that take advantage of its great atmosphere.

Old post, but In gonna reply anyway.
How do we discern those kind of intentions?
I mean, feeling that a show is trying too hard to pass down a philosophical message is something I hear a lot, but isn't feeling ignorant kind of our reaction? A message is a message, the way it's presented doesn't damage the actual content.

Anyway, rewatching this show after a while, because I want to understand more.
Apr 10, 2022 8:20 AM
Mar 2018
very surface level discussion on morals and existential purpose. hopefully further episodes develop this in a subtle manner
May 27, 2022 11:45 PM

Feb 2021
I liked it tbh. I'm getting into this series
Mar 24, 2023 1:18 PM

Aug 2011
Mannnn this show is sooo freaking bleakkkk ah, like when I saw it be compared to Kaiba I was interested especially with the refreshing animation style but DAMN this is so damn tragic lol
desu desu binches
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM

Oct 2019
man, im losing interest in this show. The character designs are pretty cool and what not and there stuff to be said about its meaning from its characters but I just am losing focus from watching this show.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

slayer545-sama - Nov 20, 2008

92 by GabrielWhite »»
Feb 15, 10:33 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dbaranyi - Mar 16, 2009

179 by -Xenophon- »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.