Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Aug 13, 2012 6:53 AM

Mar 2011
I love this anime especially this Arc
Oreki is a genius for planning all of that, didn't expect it
Talent is a rare precious thing but can be such a waste if we don't use it
Last Arc? kininarimasu
Firixizu_MintAug 13, 2012 6:59 AM
Aug 13, 2012 7:12 AM

Aug 2008
Hekshi_Sekshi said:
that manga though.........
/sudden urge to read

i mean come on this hottie is the one who draw it

and am sucker for pretty art ;u;

Agreed. He is so hot!
Aug 13, 2012 7:24 AM

Nov 2010
It was a good ending to this Arc, but there were some things I didn't get
Would probably need to rewatch the episode a few more times

Is Anjou, Houtarou's sister?
Aug 13, 2012 7:28 AM

Jun 2010
Hyouka never ceases to amaze me. It's such a... mature anime. Of course the mystery is amazing and Houtarou brings the case to a close brilliantly, but the one thing that strikes me as amazing is that IT WAS A BAD END!

Jyuumonji lost, not because Houtarou figured everything out, but because he couldn't accomplish his goal of bringing Anjou, the artist behind "The Corpse...", back to drawing.

Satoshi learned the hard way he's an able "database" but is no match for Houtarou's lazy genius.

Eru tried her best at convincing people to do stuff for her, wanting to be useful, but learned she's just not cut out for such tasks.

Mayaka's senpai lost to Anjou who, just like Houtarou did for Satoshi, outdone her without even really trying.

The Classics Club lost to Jyuumonji. That's the official version and while the truth is actually different, they still had to resort to blackmail to sell their anthologies, which can't really be called a win.

This arc was amazing not only because of a great mystery, but because it ended in such unusual way. You just don't put the "You can try your best but still fail" lesson in your anime, right? But Hyouka dared to do so and I really respect that. Instead of "You can do whatever you want if you put your back into it", we got disappointment and loss. I believe Hyouka's main theme or at least one of the main themes is "The people who can do better without trying". We've had Houtarou, and now there's Anjou who created a masterpiece just like that, for fun. That obviously leads to frustration in other people - Satoshi, Jyuumonji, the manga club's senpai... That's a theme I haven't yet seen explored to that extent in any book, movie, manga or anime, which makes Hyouka a true gem.
ewormAug 13, 2012 7:33 AM
Aug 13, 2012 7:32 AM

Jun 2010
1lau said:
Is Anjou, Houtarou's sister?

No, Houtarou's sister's name is Tomoe.
Aug 13, 2012 7:34 AM

Jun 2010
amaikami said:
-MgZ_ said:
Im kinda disappointed cuz this episode didn't actually met my expectations. I hoped that Houtaro will unveil the identity of Juumonji. I hoped that the problem between Satoshi-Houtaro and Ibara-Manga Club Members will be solved. There's so much drama in this episode, yet nothing was solved except Juumonji's identity.

Uhm.. I'm not entirely sure what you were watching.. But.. Juumonji's identity was unveiled. And the problems between Satoshi-Houtaro and Ibara-Manga were solved. Or at least, the problem between Ibara-Kouchi was solved. The other manga club members are fairly insignificant. o____o

Sorry, What I meant is I hoped the Houtaro will unveil Jummonji's identity into the public. Thus he will become popular or something like that. The problem between Satoshi-Houtaro wasn't solved. Satoshi still wants to surpass or beat Houtaro or at least get on his level. Satoshi should've confront Houtarou about it since they are FRIENDS. Ibara is still pretty hated by the most of the club members so I wouldn't call that solved.
Aug 13, 2012 7:55 AM

Dec 2009
Great conclusion to the arc <333
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 13, 2012 8:00 AM

Sep 2010
Wow! Epic conclusion to the festival arc.

Houtarou is a master black mailer.

4.5/5
Aug 13, 2012 8:03 AM

Jan 2011
This was amazing, a great ending to a great arc.
The preview sounded so lame, I randomly laughed.
I wonder where the next episode will take place, I guess in the mountains but this is Hyouka...
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Aug 13, 2012 8:12 AM
Aug 2011
Satoshi failed as expected. I felt sorry for Mr.Database

5/5
Aug 13, 2012 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
-MgZ_ said:
amaikami said:
-MgZ_ said:
Im kinda disappointed cuz this episode didn't actually met my expectations. I hoped that Houtaro will unveil the identity of Juumonji. I hoped that the problem between Satoshi-Houtaro and Ibara-Manga Club Members will be solved. There's so much drama in this episode, yet nothing was solved except Juumonji's identity.

Uhm.. I'm not entirely sure what you were watching.. But.. Juumonji's identity was unveiled. And the problems between Satoshi-Houtaro and Ibara-Manga were solved. Or at least, the problem between Ibara-Kouchi was solved. The other manga club members are fairly insignificant. o____o

Sorry, What I meant is I hoped the Houtaro will unveil Jummonji's identity into the public. Thus he will become popular or something like that. The problem between Satoshi-Houtaro wasn't solved. Satoshi still wants to surpass or beat Houtaro or at least get on his level. Satoshi should've confront Houtarou about it since they are FRIENDS. Ibara is still pretty hated by the most of the club members so I wouldn't call that solved.

Why would Satoshi want to confront Oreki about his inferiority complex ? that would just be pitiful. Nothing would be accomplished by confronting Oreki and it would have left a bad image of Satoshi as being overly jealous. Satoshi is coming to terms with the huge difference in abilities between the two. As for the manga society's dislike for Mayaka, it's probably not going to change but that mirrors reality. There will always be people who dislike you. The main conflict between Mayaka and her senpai has, however, been resolved. I really don't know what you are complaining about.
Aug 13, 2012 9:18 AM
Aug 2012
I'm quite fascinated on how Houtarou used his detective skill to make the culprit buy the Hyoukas~~~ :3
And also there is the double "eye of curiosity" from Mayaka and Chitanda and the end~~ love it!! :3
Aug 13, 2012 9:25 AM

Feb 2009
The way the anthology manuscript was "taken" was awesome and in that instant juumonji looks in the same class as Arsene Lupin or Kaito Kid anime wise, but when I learn that Houtarou had a hand in it:
Juumonji + Houtarou equal total awesomeness!
One has to re-watch that part to see the crime in action.

Houtarou is the only young sleuth that I know that has no trouble to use blackmail.
MaxCrazy7Aug 13, 2012 9:47 AM
Aug 13, 2012 9:29 AM
Feb 2012
Well, the conclusion was nice but all in all I was a little disappointed by the school festival 'arc'. Hopefully the last four episodes will be used effectively.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Aug 13, 2012 9:44 AM

May 2008
iLostReason said:
OK, Houtarou is freaking genius.

Couldn't agree with you more. He figures out who Juumonji is and then blackmail's him just to sell more copies of their anthology, didn't see that one coming.

I couldn't help but watch Houtarou's plan unfold again and point out every small detail that he said would happen. I do fell bad for Satoshi though, hopefully he'll have his time to shine soon.
Aug 13, 2012 9:57 AM

Jul 2012
https://www.dropbox.com/lightbox/home/for%20my%20friends%20001

Iris with dolls is very cute. I think some of them are made by Satoshi. He is a member of the club.
Aug 13, 2012 10:11 AM

Oct 2011
Impressive episode. Oreki's blackmailing was something I did not expect to see.

Aug 13, 2012 11:50 AM
Aug 2011
Wow!!! Houtarou is a genious!!!! He discovered all that with just a little of tips....
Aug 13, 2012 12:11 PM

Aug 2011
Great episode. I felt terrible for Tanabe and I can understand his motives. Poor Satoshi, but I'm glad he had that talk with Mayaka because I think he felt better from that and it's good ship tease too. I don't quite understand why Mayaka cried after the conversation with the senpai, though. Was it because she learnt that the senpai had read the other manga Mayaka gave her? Lastly, the whole expectations thing was interesting and I had never thought of it that way - it's true.

Wow, now I want to read A Corpse by Evening
Aug 13, 2012 12:38 PM

Nov 2009
Oreki was fabulous as usual. Poor Fuku-chan. Need a hug? Mayaka is close to you, you know what i mean xD.
Chi-chan was so d@mn annoying in the beginning! She was like a child! Tsk-tsk.
Aug 13, 2012 1:04 PM

Apr 2012
I don't get why Mayaka started to cry on the scene with Kouchi-senpai.
Someone care to explain?
Aug 13, 2012 1:22 PM

Jul 2010
Everything got wrapped up nicely. Not only the mystery, but also Mayaka's problem. You really are something else, huh Houtarou? He figured everything out. He still has some explaining to do because Chitanda is still curious! ;)

All about expectations and what it does to someone when the person you trust doesn't meet them for a trivial reasons (Juumoji). Or when he or she does (Houtarou) when you wanted to (Satoshi).

The preview looks interesting! I wonder what the last arc will be about.

Aug 13, 2012 1:32 PM
Mar 2012
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

There's a flashback to the scene where she's comparing her manga to someone else's, despairing that hers isn't as good as that one. I think the fact that Kouchi-sempai drew that logo on the rail means that it was her own manga that Mayaka was admiring. That gave Mayaka a new perspective on why Kouchi-senpai refused to read the other manga. She realized they were the same, feeling overwhelmed by the talent of another. That's what I think anyway.

Hotarou, you sneaky one, you. I re-watched the episode right after it was done to see how the plans and signals played out. Watching who's in scenes and how the camera sets things up is pretty interesting. Shown at just the right angles.
Aug 13, 2012 1:45 PM
Jan 2011
witchhuntress said:
As suspected it was...

I wonder what mystery is next...

It sure is........I hate Chitanda.
Aug 13, 2012 3:17 PM

Jul 2012
I had to rewatch the first scene again to see what had actually happened LOL And there it was!
doing the act of crime!

Great episode. Finally finished the school festival arc. XD

Damn Oreki! He's too smart.
Aug 13, 2012 3:55 PM

Oct 2010
Chitanda is so cute :3
Aug 13, 2012 4:55 PM

May 2011
Mayaka Ibara = by far the best character in the series...and thanks to this episode, one of the most interestingly developed. If only Chitanda were fleshed out a bit...
Aug 13, 2012 5:45 PM

May 2011
Houtarou is a goddamn genius and his plan for the scene was really well executed.

So everyone involved in this basically had some jealousy of their friends who had the talents but weren't as committed to those talents like they expected them to be. And they feel even more frustrated since they lacked the talents themselves.
Aug 14, 2012 1:27 AM

Jan 2012
OMG, This series has been boring to me as of late, but this episode makes me want to give it a 10.
Aug 14, 2012 1:47 AM

Mar 2010
Oreki is my new favourite character.. He's so awesome XD
Aug 14, 2012 2:29 AM

Jul 2012
Oreki totally executed it perfectly this time. Not only did he solve the crime nicely, but he made use of the culprit to sell more copies of Hyouka =D

Expectations wise, most people feel inferior to the talents and skills of others, add that to the fact that they can't do anything about it. Sadly, i fall into this category as i am not too exceptional...

Overall, nice and insightful conclusion to the school festival arc.

On a side note, Satoshi saying that he was a database who can't draw conclusions was really sad. Felt sorry for him in a way, being overshadowed by Oreki all the time.
BenGJHAug 14, 2012 2:33 AM
Aug 14, 2012 2:39 AM
Aug 2012
I reckon that this episode was a really nice way to wrap up the school festival arc, seeing as (over the course of the last few episodes) we've learned a bit more about the mains, especially Mayaka and Satoshi. I just wish that Chitanda played a bigger roll. >.<

Despite this, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say I'm glad we're moving onto a different arc. :D
Aug 14, 2012 3:06 AM

May 2010
They actually sold them while using Juumonji incident.
Aug 14, 2012 3:40 AM

Jul 2011
Oreki like a boss! But the best part is when Chitanda went to off to Oreki to know what he has discovered about the Juumonji's mystery.
Aug 14, 2012 3:53 AM
Jul 2009
Wow I mostly figured that one out, if only from use of the shot gun method. had the culprit, and figured out his motive. I just didn't figure out the significance of ku because I was too lazy to go through all the characters mentioned to this point and see who's names were part of the group. Not sure I would have figured that out, even had I.

Also I thought the guy with blue hair was the actual president for the student council.
Aug 14, 2012 5:12 AM

May 2008
I have expectations for Satoshi to have expectations for Houtarou .

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Aug 14, 2012 6:04 AM

Sep 2010
Bad ass Oreki-san! Blackmailling like a boss.
Aug 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Aug 2012
Hmm.... make me Curious.. >,<

Aug 14, 2012 1:37 PM

Aug 2008
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

Remember the argument Mayaka and Kouchi had back in episode 13?
What make a good manga? Kouchi said any manga is equally entertaining and whether it's well received depends on the readers.
Mayaka said ultimately there's still a difference in the writers' technical abilities. She believes there's a distinction in the author's capabilities.

Precisely why Kouchi didn't want to read A Corpse by Evening because she was jealous of her friend's talents. (who was better and didn't even like manga as much as her).

The reason why Mayaka cried after seeing the logo was because she realized Kouchi was the creator of 'Bodytalk', the manga she felt was 'A level below A Corpse by Evening'. I guess she felt terrible because she hurt Kouchi without realizing it. She, of all people, should know that feeling of inadequacy since her own manga was and I quote 'a hundred levels below it'.

Which also gives us an insight about why Mayaka likes Fukube and understands him. Not only because they've known each other for so long but also because they share similar insecurities.
darkerealmAug 14, 2012 1:49 PM
Aug 14, 2012 3:15 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
darkerealm said:
axuma said:
Someone care to explain?

Remember the argument Mayaka and Kouchi had back in episode 13?
What make a good manga? Kouchi said any manga is equally entertaining and whether it's well received depends on the readers.
Mayaka said ultimately there's still a difference in the writers' technical abilities. She believes there's a distinction in the author's capabilities.

Precisely why Kouchi didn't want to read A Corpse by Evening because she was jealous of her friend's talents. (who was better and didn't even like manga as much as her).

The reason why Mayaka cried after seeing the logo was because she realized Kouchi was the creator of 'Bodytalk', the manga she felt was 'A level below A Corpse by Evening'. I guess she felt terrible because she hurt Kouchi without realizing it. She, of all people, should know that feeling of inadequacy since her own manga was and I quote 'a hundred levels below it'.

Which also gives us an insight about why Mayaka likes Fukube and understands him. Not only because they've known each other for so long but also because they share similar insecurities.
Thumps Up!
Aug 14, 2012 9:56 PM
Mar 2011
Can someone list the names and who they are, because I couldn't remember when the episodes were spread over more than a month. Especially who was the one who was said to have lost Kudoryavka's order (don't remember his name, begins with Ku) and who was Tanabe?
Aug 14, 2012 10:52 PM

Feb 2012
Togop said:
Can someone list the names and who they are, because I couldn't remember when the episodes were spread over more than a month. Especially who was the one who was said to have lost Kudoryavka's order (don't remember his name, begins with Ku) and who was Tanabe?

Kugayama Muneyoshi, the Student council president.

Tanabe was the one with glasses. He is one of the 20 executive committee members and a friend of Kugayama. Together with Anjou Haruna, they made "A Corpe by Evening".
Aug 14, 2012 11:19 PM

Mar 2009
And thus, this arc comes to a close. Hyouka's come a long way. This was probably the best school festival in an anime. Along with how entertaining and fun it was, we got a fair share of character development and, as always, an intriguing mystery to boot.

Speaking of character development, poor Satoshi and Mayaka. =(
Aug 14, 2012 11:57 PM

Mar 2012
So the student council president do know that Tanabe is the culprit ? Then I guess Tanabe was wrong about his message didn't get through to the president?
Keep moving forward
Aug 15, 2012 12:02 AM

Feb 2012
2easy4AgEnT said:
So the student council president do know that Tanabe is the culprit ? Then I guess Tanabe was wrong about his message didn't get through to the president?

From what I understood, the pres never knew till the end.
Aug 15, 2012 8:17 AM

Apr 2011
HauntingShock said:
2easy4AgEnT said:

From what I understood, the pres never knew till the end.

It seemed to me that Kugayama might well have figured it out before that, but just didn't let on until the closing ceremony. Whether he has any intention of drawing the manga or even of answering Tanabe's question ("have you read it yet?") is another matter, but I think the message did get through.
Aug 15, 2012 10:53 AM

Jun 2009
Oreki's sister is a lot smarter than Oreki...

She just looked at the poster, said "I see" and went to Oreki with A Corpse by Evening... just to get him started...

His sister called him an "idiot" back during the movie arc... Now it all make sense, she is that much better after all O.o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 15, 2012 6:00 PM

Oct 2009
Uh, well, I hope the final arc steps up the GAME.
Aug 16, 2012 5:03 AM

Jul 2012
Stark700 said:

That was great episode :)
Aug 16, 2012 6:34 AM

Aug 2012
This episode is the best one of hyouka so far.
Mayaka's tears are so touching, the talent is really a sad thing.
Nowhere,everywhere.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2012

267 by Miedori »»
May 4, 10:12 AM

» No romance here

KainiusTheGreat - Mar 10

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Apr 28, 4:21 AM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Aug 5, 2012

186 by Dasfonia »»
Apr 16, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - May 6, 2012

268 by Cammell »»
Apr 8, 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hyouka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Veronin - Apr 22, 2012

491 by Prosper20 »»
Apr 5, 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.