Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Certain Magical Index (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 12, 2008 7:20 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Good stuff... fall season doesn't disppoint me (Shikabane, Gundam 00, Nodame Paris, Ga-rei, Mouryou and Majutsu no Index!!)

I think Magic and Esper are on par with each other. We have yet to see more Esper vs. Magic battle.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 12, 2008 7:30 PM

Dec 2007
What a really entertaining fight scene! The animation really stepped up here as did the new story developments. This show is starting to get really cool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2008 8:16 PM

Jan 2008
The smoking/drinking sensei is MOE!
Oct 12, 2008 8:30 PM

Jul 2008
yea.. the alcoholic bunny teacher is kind of random, if you think about it
Oct 12, 2008 8:52 PM

Jan 2008
Having read the manga, I'm finding that it's not only following the manga, but kind of following the spin-off for the shocker girl as well. I find that rather interesting actually. I'm really starting to like this anime though. It's pretty original what with the main character having a double-edged sword of a power.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Oct 12, 2008 8:58 PM

Sep 2007
I like this idea that his right hand can pretty much negate everything and thus, ruin a lot of things for him. He can't even stay in the same room with her because his presence will negate her recovery? That must suck.
Oct 12, 2008 9:11 PM

May 2007
Iriya said:
I like this idea that his right hand can pretty much negate everything and thus, ruin a lot of things for him. He can't even stay in the same room with her because his presence will negate her recovery? That must suck.

Yeah, its definitely an interesting and original power. I can't wait to see what kind of other effects it'll evolve into and be used for.

Anyway. good episode. Not much development between Index and Kamijo, but the fight was good. Definitely one of my more favorite anime this fall.
Oct 12, 2008 9:48 PM

Nov 2007
So am I the only one who thinks Magnus is a spitting image of Axel from Kingdom Hearts, especially when he would purposely repeat words that he said slowly for emphasis (got it memorized?)

Not that I'm complaining or anything :)
Oct 12, 2008 10:48 PM

Jan 2008
A great episode filled with some great action!

I'm glad this series is turning out okay, I'm anxious for more!
Oct 12, 2008 11:16 PM

Jul 2007
Wow nice follow-up, the fight scene was great.
&
lol @ loli-sensei XD
Oct 12, 2008 11:49 PM

Jan 2008
This is definitely a top pick for me for the fall season. That was a pretty cool fight seen i must say, and i love how he has such a cocky attitude even though he really cant DO ANYTHING, he can just STOP shit from happening. Its amazing.

Alipio said:
yea.. the alcoholic bunny teacher is kind of random, if you think about it

Agreed.
Oct 13, 2008 12:26 AM

Feb 2008
Awesome fight, the animation in it was great. I also noticed the BGM, which was also great, and that's not too common that it catches my attention. Definitely one of the top three shows this season if you ask me.

Great episode.
VeroninOct 13, 2008 12:40 AM
Oct 13, 2008 12:32 AM
Sep 2007
Ownage. Touma was GAR. Animation was top-notch during the fight, flames looked awesome. I love this show.
Oct 13, 2008 12:44 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Iriya said:
I really like that they showed the negative aspect of it as well, rather than this "awesome power that no one can touch" kind of thing.

The animation was so nice and fluid this ep, I think I was almost drooling. I love how he used his brain too, and didn't run even though he wanted to. And then the loli sensei in a bunny suit, drinking beer and smoking made me laugh xD

I was on the edge of my seat for the entire episode, and blinked in shock when the ED came on. I was keenly disappointed that the episode was over. This is turning out to be a real unexpected gem for me this season, and if it continues on like this, I'll probably be picking up the manga :D
Oct 13, 2008 1:16 AM

Oct 2007
Pirotechnix said:
So am I the only one who thinks Magnus is a spitting image of Axel from Kingdom Hearts, especially when he would purposely repeat words that he said slowly for emphasis (got it memorized?)

Not that I'm complaining or anything :)
it is sponsored by square enix....

I thought the fun and humor of the first episode was completely removed in some means of creating drama. It didn't go over that well in my opinion. The scenes were played out well enough...its just it feels overly dramatic from what we saw the first ep.
Oct 13, 2008 1:39 AM

Aug 2007
Damn I was half expecting him to go "This hand of mine" but alas it was not meant to be...Oh man double loli action...moe~ overload @_@

This episode would have been PERFECT if Toma's hand was actually glowing with an awesome power! Go! Go! Shining Finger!!! xD

Wonder if Toma can pull off a Sekiha Tenkyoken...right I'll stop now...

Oct 13, 2008 1:45 AM
Jul 2008
Hm, no, I just can't seem to enjoy this series. I'm sure it's great for people who like this kind of things, though.
Oct 13, 2008 2:01 AM

Nov 2007
Great episode. Maybe I should start reading the manga...

Now I'm glad I actually decided to give this one a try.
Oct 13, 2008 3:31 AM

Feb 2008
I'm actually have gone crazy if I was born with such a power with bad luck and I'm been thinking to bring up this manga and watch.
The episode was quite good and feel weird about the normal person can only used magic. Does that mean I can used magic lol :S
BlackbirdOct 13, 2008 3:39 AM

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 13, 2008 4:34 AM

Feb 2008
This show sure is interesting and I stick with my earlier catchphrase: "Shana for grownups." This actually looks much better than Shana so I'm definately watching till the end.
Oct 13, 2008 4:54 AM

Jun 2008
kuroshiroi said:
This show sure is interesting and I stick with my earlier catchphrase: "Shana for grownups." This actually looks much better than Shana so I'm definately watching till the end.

i fail to see how Shana is 'kiddy' >_>

great episode, awesome action, animation and music <3

cant wait for more
Oct 13, 2008 5:02 AM

Apr 2008
The battle was awwwsome =D Animation at its best
This is getting very interesting
Oct 13, 2008 5:21 AM

Feb 2008
kuroshiroi said:

Lol, this show is just as "kiddy" as SnS is. In fact, SnS was even darker at the beginning than this show.
Oct 13, 2008 5:29 AM

Aug 2008
Veronin said:
kuroshiroi said:

Lol, this show is just as "kiddy" as SnS is. In fact, SnS was even darker at the beginning than this show.
Is that a good thing? I always found that the underlying plot of SnS offended my logic. Not that it didn't make sense, and the first few eps were good, but no suspension of disbelief would allow me to subconsciously accept someone simply didn't exist anymore.
TAMnI isn't dark right from the beginning, so the story will be able to progress in a much more natural fashion.
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 13, 2008 5:47 AM

Feb 2008
If Index is for adults, Shana is for teenagers. Not kids...
This was just a catchphrase and as we all know, catchphrases are often stone-cold lies :)

Facts to support my catchphrase

• The protagonist is not a teenage bitch, though he is a teenager.
  • Index is almost dead and Touma can't do anything about it. Very nicely done, btw.
  • No love triangle that I can forsee --> Hopefully no whiny Yuji-style Touma. (I'm well aware that TAMnI has just started so this might change but as it stands it's not likely)

I'd like to hear some facts on why Shana is not for kids, please :)
Oct 13, 2008 5:55 AM

Feb 2008
kuroshiroi said:

Well for one, SnS is a seinen and is meant to appeal to an older audience than shounen. It's darker, the whole torch aspect of the show is not something that most kids would enjoy. Overall, it's a pretty dark show, and it's definitely not kiddy, nor is it exactly on the same level as something like Evangelion either, but it is definitely a lot more mature than most shounen.

I'd say SnS is something that was probably aimed at 15-30 year olds. It has its light hearted aspects, but overall, it's not a kiddy show. Same goes for this show, they're both not meant to appeal to little children.

Also, I know I'm lacking more evidence, but I'm too lazy right now =P . Still, I don't really see how it can be considered a kiddy show.
VeroninOct 13, 2008 6:37 AM
Oct 13, 2008 6:25 AM

Oct 2007
the artwork kinda reminded me of bleach... anyone aware of that? well, the eyes is more attractive though
Oct 13, 2008 6:34 AM

Jun 2008
Holy fucking shit, this episode kicked some MAJOR ass. The animation was simply amazing, the music was great and I gotta say, I absolutely loved the punch scene. I'm having a hard time choosing the best show of the season, this or Clannad: AS. They're pretty damn close to eachother in awesomeness.
Oct 13, 2008 9:18 AM

Nov 2007
loving it so far. the fight was intense and well done. i like the pacing also. i havnt read the manga yet but i like the pacing. they can slow it down a little and it would still be good.

i wonder if touma will be able to develop his cancelling god arm to do other things.
Oct 13, 2008 11:04 AM

Jul 2008
kuroshiroi said:
If Index is for adults, Shana is for teenagers. Not kids...
This was just a catchphrase and as we all know, catchphrases are often stone-cold lies :)

Facts to support my catchphrase

• The protagonist is not a teenage bitch, though he is a teenager.
  • Index is almost dead and Touma can't do anything about it. Very nicely done, btw.
  • No love triangle that I can forsee --> Hopefully no whiny Yuji-style Touma. (I'm well aware that TAMnI has just started so this might change but as it stands it's not likely)

For the love triangle I can really foresee the psychic girl from the first eps, Index and the guy.
Well tough I'm a Shana fan I must admit that this show look a bit more mature but don't be fooled by only 2 eps, it can always turn into something less mature.
Shana at start was way darker than Index and way mature, it's not because a character is whiny that it's for kid.

Yep To aru majutsu no index and Ef ~ A tales of melodies are the two best show this season for me.
Oct 13, 2008 11:52 AM

Aug 2008
I looked up the phrase "omfg incredible EPIC SHIT" in the vocabulary, and the title of this show came up. I mean goddammit this episode was huge or what?!

Amazing fight, gorgeous animation, superb music, great characters (smoking-drinking bunny ftw!!), and I love it how they show the negative aspects of the godhand(tm). Oh and can't get enough of that OP!

I said it once, I'll say it a few more times: BEST SHOW THIS SEASON! Pure awesomeness! 10/10 so far.

Ehh, I gonna get some pills to chill down..
Oct 13, 2008 11:54 AM

Apr 2007
cyruz said:
I love this. Animation was great, the fight looked really good. I can't wait for more. The loli teacher makes me crack up everytime she's on screen, so moe.

seconded everything there. sensei was just unbearably moe in that bunny pajamas >3<
Oct 13, 2008 12:13 PM

Nov 2007
noelhoi said:
cyruz said:
I love this. Animation was great, the fight looked really good. I can't wait for more. The loli teacher makes me crack up everytime she's on screen, so moe.

seconded everything there. sensei was just unbearably moe in that bunny pajamas >3<

who just happens to be a chain smoker and an alcoholic all at the same time. :D
Oct 13, 2008 12:42 PM

Jul 2008
Awesome, love all the red haired prettysexiness =3
The fight was amazing, even though i totally didnt expect Touma to come up with something this smart XD

Oct 13, 2008 12:50 PM

Aug 2007
God, I will watch the rest of this series simply for the drinking and smoking loli teacher in bunny pajamas. Fuck. Yes. Do want.

Felli disapproves of this thread.
Oct 13, 2008 1:06 PM

Jul 2007
THIS. SHOW. IS. EPIC.

- epic fight(although that punch in the end was a bit of a let down. dude, you just dodged his first punch easily :| why get knocked out by his second?!)
- epic loli. loli teacher smoking and drinking beer is epic.
- index reciting lines from books right off the bat is epic @_@
- hot girl with katana and hot legs is hot.
- as for the love triangle, i foresee a tsundere air with misaka so she might be part of that triangle(not that i'd want a love triangle or even a love story to begin with. but if they can pull it off, why not? :P)
- no whiny weaksauce male lead. he does whine about his powers, but he does something about it(although that could be said with yuuji too...but still)

in any case. EPIC SHOW IS EPIC.
Oct 13, 2008 1:36 PM
Sep 2007
Eternal_Blaze said:
Great episode. Maybe I should start reading the manga...

Now I'm glad I actually decided to give this one a try.

Same here, wasn't expecting much from this series. Really good so far.
Oct 13, 2008 1:47 PM

Aug 2007
GOLDEN episode. It was really great.

The loli teacher is a bit annoying but still, great.
Oct 13, 2008 1:50 PM

Aug 2008
YumeNoTsuzuki said:
The fight was amazing, even though i totally didnt expect Touma to come up with something this smart XD
Well, we've already seen that he's quite a bit more reliable than your typical protagonist-in-the-first-few-eps...
corroded said:
- no whiny weaksauce male lead. he does whine about his powers, but he does something about it(although that could be said with yuuji too...but still)
... and unlike Yuuji, Touma manages hold his own in battle by episode 2, rather than episode 15+.

[bored, thus lurking]
脱ぎません!_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ .

Oct 13, 2008 2:19 PM

Jun 2007
awesome.
easily, one of the best anime this season.
the animation was really fluid, the art was awesome, and the fighting/fire scenes were superb.
the action was so good, my pc wasn't able to keep up with it, and lagged for a lot of scenes.
JC staff is doing a really good job on this one. it also gives me some shana feelings.
now, that's the way action scenes should be done.
the guy had a badass look on his face right before punching Styl magnus
innocentus looked awesome
i smiled at the loli teacher being so viscious
index was interesting this episode though. it really makes me wonder how things will play out.
and i also wonder how the guy's hand will become more useful other than dispelling stuff...

cannot wait till necessarius.
TsundereRicOct 13, 2008 2:23 PM
Oct 13, 2008 4:15 PM

Dec 2007
this the best anime so far this season!!
Oct 13, 2008 5:35 PM
Dec 2007
Veronin said:
kuroshiroi said:

Well for one, SnS is a seinen and is meant to appeal to an older audience than shounen. It's darker, the whole torch aspect of the show is not something that most kids would enjoy. Overall, it's a pretty dark show, and it's definitely not kiddy, nor is it exactly on the same level as something like Evangelion either, but it is definitely a lot more mature than most shounen.

I'd say SnS is something that was probably aimed at 15-30 year olds. It has its light hearted aspects, but overall, it's not a kiddy show. Same goes for this show, they're both not meant to appeal to little children.

Also, I know I'm lacking more evidence, but I'm too lazy right now =P . Still, I don't really see how it can be considered a kiddy show.
Someone pointed out the whole "simply dissapearing" thing as something that brought the SnS experience down but think of it this way. Isn't the dissapearing from existence thing more disturbing to the victim (and the watcher)? People who were "eaten" in SnS didn't die to be mourned by their loved ones. They simply ceased to be, like they never existed at all. No one would cry for them, honor them, curse them. Nothing...they just didn't exist in the world.

I think this presented a far more darker ambience to the show, as the main character struggled to accept the fact he would "dissapear" one day, like he never really existed.

Sadly this was later toned down in favor of mindless action and stupid love triangles. Not to mention, the anime completely shattered the notion by turning Yuuji into a Deux Ex Machina who could fix everything and everyone who were killed as long as they were inside of those time freeze things.

Oct 13, 2008 5:55 PM

Feb 2008
Leon-Gun and everybody else that mentioned the ceasing to exist aspect of SnS:
That was indeed pretty grim so I guess SnS is really for adults. They sure stopped mentioning it though in season 2.

So... SnS1 for adults, SnS2 for kids? ;)
Oct 13, 2008 6:09 PM

Oct 2007
Excellent episode, definitely proving to be the best show of the season so far. Loli-teacher was neat, habits no so much so but the bunny outfit just made me smile. Reminded me of the cat-sleepwear in Moetan.

Just hope Index is better soon so we can have more of the moe moments practically promised from the first ep.

Oh, and fire-guy was cool. Name was a bit odd, but I've gotten well used to that out of anime. Just remember, folks: it could always be worse. At least it pretends to be unique.

"A magical girl does not -make- love, a magical girl -is- love."
Oct 13, 2008 8:01 PM

Aug 2008
pirates01 said:
Its following the manga a bit fast...

I rather think this is based after the Index light novel.
Cool fight by the way.
And interesting stuff as well.
Oct 13, 2008 8:43 PM

Jul 2008
kuroshiroi said:

So... SnS1 for adults, SnS2 for kids? ;)

Agree tough I still liked both season of SnS a lot

And yep Index is based off a light novel and not a manga...
It's funny how lot of people think that most show are done from manga when it's the other way around, only a little number of show are based on a manga.
Oct 13, 2008 9:13 PM

Jul 2008
corroded said:
THIS. SHOW. IS. EPIC.

- epic fight(although that punch in the end was a bit of a let down. dude, you just dodged his first punch easily :| why get knocked out by his second?!)
- epic loli. loli teacher smoking and drinking beer is epic.
- index reciting lines from books right off the bat is epic @_@
- hot girl with katana and hot legs is hot.
- as for the love triangle, i foresee a tsundere air with misaka so she might be part of that triangle(not that i'd want a love triangle or even a love story to begin with. but if they can pull it off, why not? :P)

GOT TO ADMIT I LOVE YOUR COMMENTS AND STYLE OF THEM! LOLI TEACHER------>SMOKING AND DRINKING A LOT.........EPIC, EPIC AND EPIC!
in any case. EPIC SHOW IS EPIC.
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Oct 14, 2008 2:02 AM

Dec 2007
I quite enjoyed this episode. The fight was well done.

lol'd at the teacher. "Do you like women who smoke?" And then those pajamas...

I think that Touma tends to focus too much on the disadvantages of his power (though I can't blame him, what with the bad luck). Sure, he can't help with magic, but at least he can fight.
Oct 14, 2008 2:21 AM

Jul 2008
A very nice fight, and a good strategy by touma. Touma reminds me of Kuzumi from Mx0.
Oct 14, 2008 2:39 AM
Sep 2008
That fight was great, Especially that fire spirit.

The thing he said after he defeated him was awesome, "If you won't follow them to the depths of hell then drag them out from it"
Edgard2Oct 14, 2008 2:46 AM
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Nov 15, 2008

146 by whitebeartigtig »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

200 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 4:40 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2008

151 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 3:50 PM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 25, 2008

157 by whitebeartigtig »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Poll: » To Aru Majutsu no Index Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

angel999 - Oct 18, 2008

159 by whitebeartigtig »»
Apr 24, 2:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.