Forum Settings
Forums
Book Girl
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 19, 2010 12:50 AM

Apr 2009
i loved the movie.. based on the assumption that this is just an adaptation of a single part or volume of the novels (the ending part?), i could say that it was really great.. i have no problem with the background of the other characters as even though i am not entirely familiar with the novel or even though what was shown in Memoir is not enough, i was able to take it all just right since most of them are typical for a high school drama.. i was surprised at first though because i thought they would bring something similar to the OVA's but it looks like they put out a very serious and dramatic story about the protagonist's past and the real reason why he quit being a writer.. it had its tear jerking moments and i almost cried, and the overall mystery of it just left me curious and wanting more for them to reveal it.. it also had great animation overall (except when they use CG and 3D effects) and the BGM was superb, perfect for the atmosphere the movie desires to bring.. i'm going to be kind again and give it a 9..

whew.. somehow, i find anime movies and OVA's of this year to be strong or well-made.. it's too bad i really can't say the same for the TV ones..
Sep 19, 2010 1:05 AM

Aug 2009
This is by far the best romance anime movie I seen so far.
It's full surprises, the visual is great and so is the scenery.

The storyline is just so epic and the ending is very well done [After the credits] but the way they ended the relationship before the credits is heart broken but well planend out.
Sep 19, 2010 9:57 AM

May 2009
This had a surprisingly dark story, completely different from what I was expecting after seeing Hatsukoi and the first episode of Memoire... But I liked it.

How come Aya Hirano always voices the crazy, possessive characters? Well, she does a good job. Miu was creepy.
Sep 19, 2010 12:23 PM

Jan 2010
what? he suddenly confessed to Miu, then, he rans to Touko... uh?
Sep 19, 2010 1:18 PM

Oct 2007
_waffle said:
what? he suddenly confessed to Miu, then, he rans to Touko... uh?
You might have to ask Touko to explain that ^_-

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 19, 2010 11:35 PM

Jul 2009
Aya Hirano did a good job, i found myself holding back my anger entire time..
Sep 20, 2010 9:02 AM

Nov 2009
I really liked the movie. Though, I suggest that you watch Bungaku Shoujo Memoire first, before watching this. That way, the movie makes a lot more sense.

I was confused by Konoha confessing to Miu, then going to Touko as well. (Touko is just great by the way) Also, anyone has any idea about who was the woman that came in the last scene? I thought it was Touko but well the woman didn't seem like she has long hair like Touko. (though she may have cut it by the time she got older)
And slowly, you come to realize... It's all as it should be...
Sep 20, 2010 12:29 PM

Aug 2009
Faust721 said:
But anyways, I have mixed feelings about it but I did enjoy the movie. There was a lot of ups and downs in it when it came to pacing, development, and dialog though. There was a few times where things got too unnatural for me. And my god, the part at the planetarium near the end...so much cheese xD but thank god everything afterward was quite enjoyable.

I know I`m just griping here, but that`s is what i came to do. The movie was not quite what I hoped for. Never the less I still liked it.

These are my thoughts exactly.
Another thing I'd like the add... The soundtrack was truely amazing. So were the seiyuu. Aya Hirano's playing a serious role? That's a first timer.
Each seiyuu was outstanding, except for the main male protagonist.
4/5, dunno what I'm going to rate it though...

But I'm confused about Miu though. Is it just me, or is she the biggest tsundere I've ever seen? ''I hate you! B-But I don't want to lose you!''
Also, jumping from buildings, flinging herself in front of a truck, all to just get the guy's attention? Wut?
I really didn't get that part.
Samu-tanSep 20, 2010 12:35 PM
Sep 23, 2010 5:55 AM

Jun 2009
Actually it was pretty good. I really enjoyed the movie. Plus I like the fight between Miu and Nanase. Yeah eating paper is not good, like everyone said. I'm actually pretty happy that he kissed Touko. Overall it was great. 9/10.

Sep 23, 2010 10:05 AM
Oct 2008
For the people who are wondering why did Konoha ran after Touko, it's because he never actually said he still love Miu. However, he did say he loved her. If you saw Doki's version, they made a few mistakes in the translation.
Sep 24, 2010 4:54 AM

May 2008
luckytintinnz said:
For the people who are wondering why did Konoha ran after Touko, it's because he never actually said he still love Miu. However, he did say he loved her. If you saw Doki's version, they made a few mistakes in the translation.
Yeah, actually I noticed that too~ It can confuse the whole conclusion of the story.
Anyway, I think this was a nice, hearwarming movie and I wish to see something like this more often.
The soundtracks weren't really catchy but I loved the animation, it was beautifull. At the end, I wonder who arrived at Konoha's place....
Sep 24, 2010 4:59 AM
May 2010
@sayami
if you read the error of the doki subs at doki's website, I think you will know who :D
or visit bungaku shoujo fansclub to read my post at one of the club's thread :)
This is a signature.
Sep 25, 2010 4:22 AM

Dec 2008
They should have released the 3 ova's before the movie
some characters came out of nowhere, like Himekura, Maki or Akutagawa, Kazushi.

The yandere bitch was a bit too annoying for me, she nearly ruined the whole movie
I've never seen such an despicable character *anger*
Her chapter was way too long in this movie
Konoha acted like a spineless idiot when she was around.

Despite from that I liked the movie,Touko was cute and kind.
And the ending part was really bittersweet, I liked the spontanous kiss.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 27, 2010 12:07 AM

Aug 2008
Meh. Wasn't my thing. I didn't really get into it until I understood how truly screwed up Miu Asakura was. Terribly average, but the ending was rather nice. It just didn't develop well enough for me.
Sep 27, 2010 5:14 PM
Sep 2010
So if this movie ended at VOLUME 5, and there are 8 VOLUMES in total, where can I read those last 3 volumes that continues the story? PLEASE TELLLL
Sep 27, 2010 8:39 PM
May 2010
@LeirsynL
if you can read it in japanese, buy it at amazon.co.jp
if you can't the only way to read it is wait for yen press, their schedule:
BOOK GIRL AND THE SUICIDAL MIME (Volume 1) | Coming July 2010
BOOK GIRL AND THE FAMISHED SPIRIT (Volume 2) | Coming January 2011
BOOK GIRL Volume 3 | Coming July 2011
BOOK GIRL Volume 4 | Coming January 2012
BOOK GIRL Volume 5 | Coming July 2012
BOOK GIRL Volume 6 | Coming January 2013
BOOK GIRL Volume 7 | Coming July 2013
BOOK GIRL Volume 8 | Coming January 2014
This is a signature.
Sep 27, 2010 9:46 PM
Sep 2010
wth? isnt the suicidal mime the movie? why is the movie volume 1 when i thought it was the climax? and will it really take all 3 years for it to come out? i really want to know if there was more to it than just touko being in hokkaido university and finish.
Sep 28, 2010 10:13 AM
May 2010
@Leir
please don't judge the story by the title, the suicidal mime is different than the movie, the movie is based of volume 5, not volume 1.
This is a signature.
Sep 28, 2010 2:44 PM
Sep 2010
so the movie ending is the ending of volume 5?so theres more than just her going to hokkaido at volume 6-8 sequel?
Sep 28, 2010 11:41 PM

Aug 2008
Really good movie! Touko was cute, and the fact she was voiced by Hanazawa Kana only made her more moe! ^_^

Miu was creepy, but I kind of feel bad fer her, being felt abandoned and stuff. I agree the conclusion to her story was rather cheesy, though. Nonetheless, the whole story about Konoha being a writer or not was really nice in my opinion.

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Sep 29, 2010 1:30 AM
May 2010
@Leir
I'm not sure I can answer your question correctly, you better ask tsubasalover at bungaku shoujo fansclub..
This is a signature.
Oct 9, 2010 8:18 PM

Jul 2008
I liked it a lot. The animation was amazing, I liked Miu, and I loved Touko. I did, like other people said, feel the movie sometimes repeated itself. I also didn't understand the last five minutes at all, and I don't understand why Touko couldn't eat Konoha's snacks. Does being a "Literature Girl" mean she can't be with one person or something?

I will definitely read the books as Yen Press releases them though.

And despite the sometimes odd pacing, cheesiness, or dialogue, I still feel this deserves an 8/10.
Oct 10, 2010 4:31 PM

Sep 2007
Beautiful movie. Still, there were some parts that I didn't get, like why Touko couldn't read more stories from Konoha? and if she really ate those stories, or she was a kind of inspiration for Konoha... I'm confused here.
And I have to highlight the wonderful job Aya Hirano does with the psycho Miu, just amazing.
I hope I can read the novels in the future, because I feel like a lot of stuff is lost in this adaptation, although I enjoyed it very much.

Oct 12, 2010 9:52 AM

Jan 2010
Leticia said:
Beautiful movie. Still, there were some parts that I didn't get, like why Touko couldn't read more stories from Konoha? and if she really ate those stories, or she was a kind of inspiration for Konoha... I'm confused here.
And I have to highlight the wonderful job Aya Hirano does with the psycho Miu, just amazing.
I hope I can read the novels in the future, because I feel like a lot of stuff is lost in this adaptation, although I enjoyed it very much.

Same here.
Oct 13, 2010 11:54 PM

Jun 2009
those who read all the stories PLEASE tell me who was that woman in the end... ... other than that..i think i pretty much understood the whole story... (plz messege me)
Nov 11, 2010 2:11 PM

Jan 2008
yes, please somebdy tell me who the hell that was?

But overall decent movie the main characters were blant though, besides liturature girl :)
Nov 16, 2010 5:43 PM

Apr 2008
I wanted so badly to punch Miu in the face, god she's so damn annoying!!
lol when Kotobuki had a fight with her I was jumping from excitement xD serves her right!!

I thought the movie was ok, there were some cheesy moments and kinda stupid at times... when I watched this movie I didn't know it had light novels and OVAs until I added it to my list, now I really want to know who's that woman at the door in the end . . .. if anyone knows, is there a sequel to the movie?

overall I enjoyed the movie, it was ok :)
Nov 19, 2010 10:58 PM
Mar 2009
Art and music were really good.

The main problem I had was with Konoha's randomness. He decided to jump off with Miu without much consideration (WTF?), and then he does a complete turn around and seeks out Touko (wtf?).

Movie was pretty enjoyable and I did not read the novels before hand. Really intrigued to go read them now though.
Nov 24, 2010 9:39 AM

Apr 2010
Happy Endings are not best endings, when will people (that create stories) realize that?
All in all, I liked almost every characters, especially Miu, the tragic muse. Though I loved the 3 OVAs better than the movie.
Nothing is perfect, this story itself is nearly perfect, so 9,4/10 for me.
Nov 25, 2010 4:05 PM

Aug 2009
was that Touko at the end? 8/10
Dec 13, 2010 1:59 PM

Mar 2010
Asakura Miu was such a adgklkhjdghr :@ .. but i liked everyone else, Touko was really cute haha + i loved the ending.. so i gave it an 8 :)
Dec 18, 2010 9:54 AM

Dec 2009
Miu should have died at the end ...
Poor Touko , in the end she had to sort out everything between her crush and her crush's yandere posessive unofficial girlfriend. I'm confused ... at the end Touko was the one at the door ?
Dec 18, 2010 9:52 PM

Jul 2010
alwaysbored said:
Poor Touko , in the end she had to sort out everything between her crush and her crush's yandere posessive unofficial girlfriend. I'm confused ... at the end Touko was the one at the door ?

It could be Miu at the door , Touko has long long hair.
Dec 22, 2010 12:17 AM

Apr 2009
Very happy about that last bit after the credits. Yes.
Dec 23, 2010 7:14 AM

Mar 2010
godeater360 said:
alwaysbored said:

It could be Miu at the door , Touko has long long hair.

Touko could've cut her hair... (^_^)
Check out my channel!
Erzat
Jan 9, 2011 8:32 AM

Dec 2008
I'm glad I watched the OVAs before I watched the feature film. The backstory on the main characters better helped me understand what was going on.

Crazy bitch is not enough to describe Miu. And...she made a total ass of herself!
Jan 10, 2011 10:46 AM
May 2009
VillettaIchihara said:
I'm glad I watched the OVAs before I watched the feature film. The backstory on the main characters better helped me understand what was going on.

Same here. Anyway. I expected this after watching the OVAs, but the MC was boring. And annoying at times. Seriously, wtf? At first he's ready to kill himself along with Miu, then he starts talking about how much he loves her, and then after Miu magically starts acting normal, telling him she'll stand up, he runs to Touko, thinking of her like he realized that he loves her all of sudden, and of course kisses her... What about his relationship with Miu after that? I don't understand. Complicated romance stories are not for me.
The woman in the end must've been Touko, considering that on the Doki's site they've pointed out the mistakes. I guess I can post them here, it's the last dialogue:
"0,1:39:56.89: “She’s going to read Inoue Miu’s new novel, right?”
0,1:40:02.82: “Hopefully she will like it”
0,1:40:04.89: “If it’s her, she will surely like it”"
Jan 11, 2011 6:32 AM

Jun 2009
I can't say I loved it... ._. Miu annoyed me...A LOT. If Inoue likes that moron Miu that much, why did he even kissed Touko? ._. I hope it was Touko at the end ;w; I felt like the story was following Miu and Inoue's life even though the title is "Bungaku Shoujo" >_>
サービスサービス
Jan 15, 2011 6:06 AM

Sep 2008
AriGatou said:
I wanted so badly to punch Miu in the face, god she's so damn annoying!!
lol when Kotobuki had a fight with her I was jumping from excitement xD serves her right!!

I thought the movie was ok, there were some cheesy moments and kinda stupid at times... when I watched this movie I didn't know it had light novels and OVAs until I added it to my list, now I really want to know who's that woman at the door in the end . . .. if anyone knows, is there a sequel to the movie?

overall I enjoyed the movie, it was ok :)

Kotobuki was the best character since she was the only normal girl and called Miu out on her lies and stuff. Unfortunately the male lead didn't care for her and went with the girl who ate books for no reason. I honestly think Miu could have done them a favor and just die. Konoha too, hes such a coward in all sorts of ways.

Yeah, I didn't like the movie, I was really pressed on to watch it even though I had no idea what the movie was about. But emo characters really annoy me. That's why I like Kotobuki Nanase only, she had real sense to her being.
Jan 15, 2011 2:39 PM

Mar 2010
Just finished rewatching it and once again, it was outstanding, truly a masterpiece. I read only the first volume of the novel, as well as the manga, which is based on that, but every kind of story from Bungaku Shoujo is just excellent.
Jan 17, 2011 4:31 PM

Aug 2010
Qashqai said:
VillettaIchihara said:

Same here. Anyway. I expected this after watching the OVAs, but the MC was boring. And annoying at times. Seriously, wtf? At first he's ready to kill himself along with Miu, then he starts talking about how much he loves her, and then after Miu magically starts acting normal, telling him she'll stand up, he runs to Touko, thinking of her like he realized that he loves her all of sudden, and of course kisses her... What about his relationship with Miu after that? I don't understand. Complicated romance stories are not for me.
The woman in the end must've been Touko, considering that on the Doki's site they've pointed out the mistakes. I guess I can post them here, it's the last dialogue:
"0,1:39:56.89: “She’s going to read Inoue Miu’s new novel, right?”
0,1:40:02.82: “Hopefully she will like it”
0,1:40:04.89: “If it’s her, she will surely like it”"

Agreed. It was pretty confusing. Im guessing its probably because they skipped alot out from the novel.
Jan 18, 2011 11:19 PM

Jan 2010
I feel like I've watched a movie about nothing.. LMFAO
Might be too deep for me and all that shit, but meh.
I wasn't too satisfied with this.. I guess it's mostly because Miu pissed me off a fuck-tonne.
He should shown affection for Touko way earlier.
So tempted to give this 6/10
But 7/10 will do this for me.
Jan 25, 2011 1:36 PM

Jun 2009
is anyone besides me who understands why Miu is like that .. You can't blaim her for being such a B**** (sorry for the word XD) . all she need is Love .. all she wanted is to be with konoha's side and yes you could call that selfishness,,But for her, Konoha's the only one that is left for her .

Its not that im rooting konoha X Miu .. infact I'm rooting for nanase . but i just can't help loving Miu because of her past...... and also that Long yellow hot pony hair .. lol...
Jan 25, 2011 6:59 PM

Aug 2010
g0ng0n16 said:
is anyone besides me who understands why Miu is like that .. You can't blaim her for being such a B**** (sorry for the word XD) . all she need is Love .. all she wanted is to be with konoha's side and yes you could call that selfishness,,But for her, Konoha's the only one that is left for her .

Its not that im rooting konoha X Miu .. infact I'm rooting for nanase . but i just can't help loving Miu because of her past...... and also that Long yellow hot pony hair .. lol...

No your not the only one(Note.. Miu looked much better in the ovas with longer hair). And btw I was also rooting for nanase.
Ragna92Jan 31, 2011 7:20 PM
Feb 2, 2011 11:28 AM

Mar 2010
Amazing job by the all-star voice casts especially Hana Kanazawa and Hirano Aya. Not forget the male lead Irino Miyu. Now time to get my hands on the light novel.
Geso
-----:D
Mar 14, 2011 4:38 PM

Jul 2009
*sobsob* Toukou-sama <3

But no, seriously, this movie was rather unexpected for me, in recent events I've been watching only the recent airings of thin-turd plot-lines with mindless pantyshots and bad endings.

I will admit this is by no means a masterpiece, but heck.. Personally it's not far from it. In my eye the woman at the end had to have been Touko, even if it's light of me to suggest, the way she walks and approaches the door seems to be more of touko's stance than it was Miu's. I say this with fair confidence as the studio once again didn't dissapoint as far as animation and visual quality is concerned, and in a touching story like this it's all the better. The planetarium was indeed cheap and I was pretty shocked to see it make an entrance but I half expected it.

Bear in mind I have not read the novel, I say this was a very touching, very close to the heart movie to watch indeed. [Miu can go to hell.]
Mar 26, 2011 9:24 AM

Feb 2009
I loved Nanase in her yukata.On the other hand,i didn't really like Touko...but neigher did i dislike her.
The catfight was awesome though.If only it had lasted more... I'd love to see girls fighting like that IRL,lol.
Overall,nice movie,but kind of average for my tastes. 7/10

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
Apr 10, 2011 9:37 AM

May 2010
This is a good and memorable movie,I will cherish it till the end of my life !! T_T
Apr 18, 2011 5:13 AM

Apr 2009
argilium said:
i loved the movie.. based on the assumption that this is just an adaptation of a single part or volume of the novels (the ending part?), i could say that it was really great...

Based on that assumption as well, I agree with you there. I'm not blaming Miu for acting the way she did on the movie given her past (even though I haven't seen the prequel OVAs or read the novels) but when she was having the cat-fight with Nanase, I was rooting for Nanase. LOL

Anyway, in my imagination Touko was the one at the door in the ending. XD
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Apr 29, 2011 8:44 AM
Oct 2009
That was an awkward moment when Konoha was gonna to jump with Miu. The most sensible character was Kotobuki, gotta love that part where she exposed Miu's silliness. Somehow, I don't like that kissing part, feel a bit one-sided. I could only see a friendship between that Konoha and Touko, nothing more than that.

I was expecting that this movie would focus on Touko but what I got was a broken evil girl and a weak male lead. Not that I dislike Miu's story, but had the movie focused more on Touko, I would've love it more. For example, her origin and her relationship with that piss-off aunt that she lives with, etc. After all, the movie was titled "Literature girl" right?
The window, the window shopping! Hooo!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» What order should I watch Bungaku Shoujo in?

minegroasprilla - Oct 31, 2013

7 by Arcanius7 »»
Mar 30, 2022 1:34 PM

» Anime vs novels

Wannabiteme - Nov 3, 2015

3 by Randomcardcaptor »»
Jun 13, 2020 2:09 PM

» Bungaku Shoujo Ending Question

patday8472 - Dec 28, 2017

1 by Nexu »»
Dec 28, 2017 4:26 PM

» Can someone who read the novel tell me how it ends??

Gal3riel - Jul 8, 2014

2 by xsilicon9 »»
Mar 3, 2015 7:01 PM

» Was the Bungaku Shoujo magical in nature?

Dangerthirdwheel - Aug 5, 2011

1 by javalu882005 »»
Oct 23, 2011 1:31 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.