Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 16, 2010 1:51 PM

Apr 2008
In this thread you'll be able to recommend all those underrated and obscure anime that doesn't have that much of attention they deserve.
The ones you see as something special and because they're unknown to the vast majority of people, you want to make them more known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the inclusion of To-Y on the Guess the anime by the picture game, I got the idea of this topic and what a better start than,

TO-Y?

RobdeFRNov 6, 2010 5:45 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 16, 2010 6:01 PM

Dec 2009
I can't recommend Taiyo No Kiba Dougram enough.

I really can't - if you liked Legend of the Galactic Heroes for its politics, grey area morality and seriousness, Dougram is one of the only shows I've seen that comes close.

It's also an early work of Takahashi, who would later do the excellent VOTOMS and FLAG.
Apr 16, 2010 7:40 PM

Apr 2008
I absolutely second the Dougram recommendation.
Apr 17, 2010 12:35 PM

Dec 2007
The only old-school series I can recommend with all my heart is Rose of Versailles aka Lady Oscar.

Can't describe with words how exactly great and beautiful it is, and everyone should watch it.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Apr 17, 2010 2:24 PM

Feb 2008
I'll have to third Dougram. I'm up to 25 myself (letting the releases pile up for awhile), but it's absolutely brilliant and unadulterated stuff. I would say the LOGH comparison is pretty dead on.
Jun 21, 2010 1:20 PM

Jan 2008
Some unusual recommendation for portuguese and russian speakers(or those who know japanese).
Kirara although a relatively new anime by the release date, has a real classic scent about it. Judged by it's style I would say it's 95-ish=)
I liked it, good romantic story with a bit of fiction in it. So strongly advised, I wouldn't bother to recommend it if it was not worth it. The sad thing is that there's only russian and portuguese subs for it as far as I know.
[Old School Anime Club]
Jun 22, 2010 7:41 AM

Feb 2010
I agree with Rose of Versailles and I also have to recommend the Area 88 3 episode OVA which is a really great anime in my opinion. If you haven't seen that yet you have to!
Jul 2, 2010 3:50 PM

Dec 2009
Anakin1981 said:
I agree with Rose of Versailles and I also have to recommend the Area 88 3 episode OVA which is a really great anime in my opinion. If you haven't seen that yet you have to!

Man, if I had to pick four "war anime" that were genuinely awesome, I'd go for War in the Pocket, FLAG, Dougram and Area 88 OVA.

Given two of them are Takahashi, that must say something.

As an aside, my recommendations for people who have gotten into super robots through plot-focussed stuff like Shin Mazinger/G Gundam etc would have to be Yuusha Raideen (for a classic, silly, monster of the week show) and Voltes V (for a solid attempt at an arc-based super show ala GaoGaiGar.)

Raideen is very "Happy Tomino" in the vein of ZZ Gundam, Turn-A and L-Gaim, while Voltes is actually quite interesting in its own right both as a reworking of Nagahama's earlier Combattler V and as a lead-in to the really good (but unfortunately very difficult to find) Daimos.
Jul 3, 2010 1:55 PM

Feb 2008
I'm extremely interested in Raideen, but I just wish it were fully subbed already. Didn't Nagahama and Tomino work on that one a lot together?
Jul 3, 2010 3:08 PM

Jan 2008
Run Melos!(1992) is a hidden gem of an old anime world.

But unfortunately it is what-you-call-it "crude". It's not exactly the diamond cause the rip quality is next to none really. Especially in the dark scenes(there are several) you literally cannot see a thing. Still don't let that throw you off, the story is absolutely fantastic. First of all it's about ancient Greece, so it has some sort of real originality about it. But the main thing is that this anime is a top-notch adaptation of a famous novel. So the characters, the themes that are brought up in this movie are really sophisticated. I just loved how the story deals with questions of trust, belief and friendship. Was really touched.
Also for those who care(I know there are some here) I can say that Melos sure has a WMT-feeling about it. European atmosphere and novel source do help that.

PS If you watched Aoi Bungaku arc - forget it. Oldshool Melos is completely different and much, much better imo.
[Old School Anime Club]
Jul 3, 2010 3:14 PM

Dec 2009
Echelon said:
I'm extremely interested in Raideen, but I just wish it were fully subbed already. Didn't Nagahama and Tomino work on that one a lot together?

I do believe so.

The episodes already subbed give a good idea of what it's like, so I'd recommend starting with what there is. It is quite a strange show, very slapstick at times (hence the ZZ Gundam/Xabungle comparison) with a massive cast of silly side characters to make up for the single pilot hero robot.
Aug 3, 2010 7:36 PM

Mar 2010
Any recommendations?

The most Old School animes I've watched so far were Trigun (not finished yet), Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star (if you can even consider then Old School). I don't really have a huge taste for anime yet because I'm rather new, but so far I like sword fights, mecha, gun fights.... thats about it so far.

I'll take any recommendation into consider, because even though I have a high 'Thinking about watching' list, I still have no idea what to watch after I complete Trigun.

Thanks in advance for your help, It will be appreciated! :)
Aug 3, 2010 8:12 PM

Jan 2008
SSJLuffy said:
The most Old School animes I've watched so far were Trigun (not finished yet), Cowboy Bebop, and Outlaw Star (if you can even consider then Old School).
Well "not quite" the old school animes they are. More of a "modern classic" type of thing really.
Anyhow, as for recomend's i would suggest Dirty Pair/Crusher Joe. It has a lot of similarities with the animes you named. There are also Space Adventure Cobra and Space Pirate Captain Harlock.
And Irresponsible Captain Tylor - classic comedy space opera. One of the very best up there.
And Dominion Tank Police - "crazy"(a bit Trigunesque) comedy/action series.

Might be better to start with Tylor(and Dominion) as this is a 90s anime, so it's done in a visual style you are familiar with(and kinda "accustomed to"). Not much of a contrast. Then you can move to 80s series.
ArdeurAug 3, 2010 8:19 PM
[Old School Anime Club]
Aug 4, 2010 6:08 AM

May 2010
I'd reccommend the Gall Force series (Eternal Story/Destruction/Stardust War/Rhea/Earth Chapter) for being a great sci-fi series, but also for a decent female cast (not like the kinds of female characters shown in today's anime with the so-called "moe-blob" characters and female characters that distract the viewer by being fanservice queens). It's a shame that we don't see female leads like those in Gall Force, Bubblegum Crisis, and Dirty Pair anymore.
Aug 8, 2010 8:50 PM

Mar 2010
I'm definitely going to check those animes out. They sound interesting. But for now I have tons of stuff that I want to watch but whenever I run out of ideas of what to watch, I'm gonna watch the ones you recommended me.

Thanks!!
Aug 8, 2010 11:30 PM

Aug 2007
Dirty Pair and Captain Tylor I've been needing to see for years now, both look pretty excellent. Can't really recommend anything terribly obscure, not nearly as many as you guys at least.

But if you dig Tezuka's all star universe, Marine Express is a cool little special that came out in '79, features just about all of the iconic characters from his works. Dezaki directed it too, so worth a shot if you want to be a completionist or something.

Aug 9, 2010 6:02 AM

Apr 2008
Ifthe name Tezuka is not enough, then the name Dezaki should do the fix. He's probably the best anime director there ever was.
Aug 9, 2010 10:29 PM

Aug 2007
Also, Megazone 23

Fuck yeah.

Aug 30, 2010 10:42 AM

Apr 2008
Hias, I erased your post. Let's not start spamming the forum.

Megazone on the other side is a good Old School recommendation.
RobdeFRAug 30, 2010 10:46 AM
Sep 1, 2010 3:46 AM

Oct 2008
I recommend that if you haven't seen the first animated series that Miyazaki worked on, Future Boy Conan then it should definitely be pushed up in your list of oldschool series to see. Hana Yori Dango isn't all that obscure to hardcore oldschool shoujo fans but I'm just gonna recommend it anyways because it is a very solid series. I can't be sure if these two titles are obscure at all.

What exactly denotes obscure considering a lot of series already mentioned don't seem all that obscure. By some of the recommendations already, the truly obscure are not subbed and therefore impossible to understand. I guess if there are raws available and enough interest though, this forum could attract interest by some subbers to work on new projects.

I will recommend that people watch a borderline oldschool series called Macross 7. It's predecessor Super Dimensional Fortress Macross is anything but obscure, but I would argue that M7 is obscure in the U.S. considering the reality that it was never able to be released, like the rest of the Macross franchise excluding Macross Plus which managed to get released in the States. Of course the enjoyment of this series seems to me be based on whether or not you can laugh at the hilarity of defeating an enemy with cheeseball metal funk musical. I found the series to be something that most westerners would find very hard to understand, let alone enjoy, but never less issue the challenge to people who haven't seen it to watch it, and have a good time with this retro feeling series, especially for fans of Mecha and Music anime's. Of course the way they squeeze in Macross cannon throughout this story is what makes it worth watching, along with the music that just has a way of growing on you.

Orion1Sep 1, 2010 12:58 PM
May 23, 2011 8:20 PM

Jun 2010
Although I don't have any recommendation at this moment, I need an old school(80s + 90s) romance TV series recommendation :P
May 24, 2011 7:29 AM

Feb 2008
Looks like you've seen KOR and Maison, but not Touch! Definitely check it out.
May 24, 2011 8:20 AM

Jun 2009
ShinGundam said:
Although I don't have any recommendation at this moment, I need an old school(80s + 90s) romance TV series recommendation :P

I would like to recommend Hana yori Dango. It's from 90's and it's the best shoujo that I've seen and I don't even like shoujo otherwise.
May 24, 2011 10:22 AM

Apr 2008
Obviously Touch. You seem to be aware of Adachi works judging from your list, so you've probably forgot to input it on your plan to watch list.
You seem to have watched Onisama E..., don't know if you've enjoyed it as your list doesn't show your rating, but try watching Rose of Versailles also, same mangaka and same anime director, we around here love it, think of Legend of galactic heroes intrigue and similar storytelling based on real life facts from the french History and a little bit of seventies shoujo romance all mixed up in brilliant directing.
Hana Yori Dango comes in the nineties but it possess an old school vibe and a pretty similar vibe to Onisama E..., so you might want to check it out too later.
May 29, 2011 4:48 PM

Mar 2010
I'm in the mood for a tournament anime. I know Dragon Ball has tournaments in it, but at the moment I'm not in the mood for a super long series.

Any good tournament animes out there, both old and new?
May 29, 2011 6:00 PM

Jun 2009
SSJLuffy said:
I'm in the mood for a tournament anime. I know Dragon Ball has tournaments in it, but at the moment I'm not in the mood for a super long series.

Ha ha! I've just finished Yu Yu Hakusho and it consists only from tournaments and basically nothing else. It is shorter series than DB and has only 112 episodes. Anf if you want something really short there is Ancient Books of Ys and Ancient Books of Ys II OVAs.
May 30, 2011 1:30 AM

Apr 2007
konnakude said:
SSJLuffy said:

Ha ha! I've just finished Yu Yu Hakusho and it consists only from tournaments and basically nothing else. It is shorter series than DB and has only 112 episodes. Anf if you want something really short there is Ancient Books of Ys and Ancient Books of Ys II OVAs.

Seconding Yu Yu Hakusho, it's a shounen show that actually knows when to quit rather than dragging on stupidly.
Long suffering /m/subs translator
http://msubsreleases.wordpress.com/
May 30, 2011 9:31 AM

Mar 2010
Funny thing is, I just finished Yu Yu Hakusho the other day, it was a great series. Which is why I'm asking for another series sort of like it, well with a tournament and all. It doesn't have to have super powers, it can be just martial arts based.

But thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out that second one ASAP.
May 30, 2011 11:13 AM

Jun 2009
SSJLuffy said:
Funny thing is, I just finished Yu Yu Hakusho the other day, it was a great series. Which is why I'm asking for another series sort of like it, well with a tournament and all. It doesn't have to have super powers, it can be just martial arts based.

But thanks for the recommendations, I'll check out that second one ASAP.

I didn't see Saint Seiya on your list. It's definitely shorter than DB and has the same length as YYH.
Aug 23, 2011 3:59 PM

Dec 2009
Might I ask a question?

If I enjoyed the knockabout comedy of Tenchi Muyo, Burn Up, The Slayers, Outlaw Star, Martian Successor Nadesico and Irresponsible Captain Tylor, where should I go next for that sort of anime? I know most of those are 90s and not really oldschool, but there must be some classic shows.

I was thinking probably things like Dirty Pair, Cutey Honey, and Dominion Tank Police but there must be others.

Is City Hunter a comedy show?
Aug 23, 2011 11:38 PM

Nov 2007
If you enjoyed Tenchi a lot, then El Hazard is always an instant recommendation. It's by the exact same studio and you'll notice some similarities. I rewatched it all not too long ago and had a really fun time with it.

City Hunter is amazingly hilarious. One of the most so that I've ever seen and to me it's the greatest episodic series there is. The major appeal is the main character Ryo who's both as badass as they come one minute and a pervert among perverts the next. The combination of seriousness and humor at the drop of a dime is what makes it such an entertaining experience. The first 5 or so episodes are far more serious which while great, wasn't it's true form just yet. I couldn't recommend it enough for any old school fan. Outside of Maison Ikkoku I've always felt it personified what the 80s were all about better than anything.

Could you possibly go wrong? :)
Aug 23, 2011 11:54 PM

Dec 2009
HisokaHajime said:
If you enjoyed Tenchi a lot, then El Hazard is always an instant recommendation. It's by the exact same studio and you'll notice some similarities. I rewatched it all not too long ago and had a really fun time with it.

City Hunter is amazingly hilarious. One of the most so that I've ever seen and to me it's the greatest episodic series there is. The major appeal is the main character Ryo who's both as badass as they come one minute and a pervert among perverts the next. The combination of seriousness and humor at the drop of a dime is what makes it such an entertaining experience. The first 5 or so episodes are far more serious which while great, wasn't it's true form just yet. I couldn't recommend it enough for any old school fan. Outside of Maison Ikkoku I've always felt it personified what the 80s were all about better than anything.

Could you possibly go wrong? :)

Sounds brilliant. I'll check it out when I finish some other shows.
Aug 25, 2011 8:43 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah I couldn't recommend City Hunter enough. I think you'll like it MS06FZ.

Dirty Pair I actually think is a tad bit comparable too, but not nearly as good. It's similar with its episodic nature, although City Hunter develops more as time goes by and the characters have a lot more depth to them. Admittedly I've only seen the OVA of Dirty Pair and the first movie, but yeah, I hear the rest is the same. It's still pretty fun stuff though (made by the Crusher Joe creator as well, I think he did sci-fi settings really well).

There's also the 90's Birdy OVA which has some humorous and fun moments, I thought it was pretty cool.

And yes El Hazard is a blast, definitely recommended since you liked Tenchi. I wish I could think of other good comedic sci-fi stuff, but Tylor and Nadesico are definitely the best in my book.
Aug 25, 2011 7:41 PM

Jun 2011
I'd like to take some time to recommend to fans of anything old school that they all check out, well, pretty much ANY World Masterpiece Theater series. For anybody who doesn't know, the World Masterpiece Theater is a huge collection of various anime series that originally ran with from 1969 until 1997 (and picked back up again a few years ago in 2007) with one or two new series per year, more or less. Every anime in this on-going collection is based on a different classic book or story; including adaptations of classics like Call of the Wild, Anne of Green Gables, Tom Sawyer, Daddy Long Legs and Little Women. The quality of each series (at least, all of the ones I've seen) is really exceptional; well-made, intelligent and heart-felt, and most really are shows anybody could love; and its anything but your typical anime fare. Many of these titles are sadly overlooked by anime fans in North America, and I would HIGHLY recommend to anybody looking for some obscure old school anime that they look into the World Masterpiece Theater titles.
Aug 25, 2011 7:56 PM

Nov 2007
I couldn't agree with you more. I see you still have a lot of them to still tackle yourself. It truly is a remarkable genre.
Aug 25, 2011 10:18 PM

Nov 2008
Hello!!

I'm new to this group ^__^

I watched a few series from the 80's and 90's but I want some recommendations.
I'm looking for comedy/romance/slice of life series. Preferably 26 episodes or less, also can be OVA's or Movies.
Aug 25, 2011 10:55 PM

Feb 2008
I hate to say it J_Reservoir, but most older shows like that were actually a lot longer in length. So if you want one of the shorter ones to start with, check out Kimagure Orange Road. It's fairly episodic and mostly comical, but if you can just sit back and enjoy it for what it is it's a lot of fun. Another show kind of like City Hunter above, that I think really captures the great vibe of the 80's too.

Other than that... there's Maison and Touch, but they're both around 100 episodes. They can be really addicting though and don't let the episode count scare you, but yeah.

The World Masterpiece Theater franchise as KaiZodd just mentioned above is really worth looking into as well, you could kind of call them slice of life, although they're really down to Earth realistic drama's and so it's usually intense stuff. Again though most of these are around like 50 episodes in length.
Aug 25, 2011 11:38 PM

Jun 2009
On the subject of World Masterpiece theater I was thinking of checking one of those series out but I'm unsure which one to go with first. Any recommendations? No real preference really, though I usually enjoy a series with a strong female presence.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 26, 2011 2:20 AM

Feb 2008
insan3soldiern said:
On the subject of World Masterpiece theater I was thinking of checking one of those series out but I'm unsure which one to go with first. Any recommendations? No real preference really, though I usually enjoy a series with a strong female presence.

Oh! I would definitely say maybe check out Perrine first!

Les Miserables is excellent as well, though Perrine might be a bit more what you want.

Not the expert myself (aside from those I've just seen Nobody's Boy Remi so far), but yeah. Perrine herself grows a ton throughout the series, she's definitely one of the best and a strong female lead in my book.
Aug 26, 2011 1:37 PM

Jun 2009
Alright, I'll look into that.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 27, 2011 12:39 PM

Jun 2011
HisokaHajime said:
I couldn't agree with you more. I see you still have a lot of them to still tackle yourself. It truly is a remarkable genre.

They really are an amazing collection of gems, and the World Masterpiece Theater just adds such fresh and different material to the medium that you rarely see in anime. I indeed do have many of them to tackle myself, too, yes. I wish that more of them were fansubbed or available in English in their entirety, I really would love to see all of them.
Aug 27, 2011 2:48 PM

Feb 2008
KaiZodd said:
HisokaHajime said:

They really are an amazing collection of gems, and the World Masterpiece Theater just adds such fresh and different material to the medium that you rarely see in anime. I indeed do have many of them to tackle myself, too, yes. I wish that more of them were fansubbed or available in English in their entirety, I really would love to see all of them.

Luckily it's a great time to be a WMT fan with Takara fansubs and Licca-subs really knocking some of them out with amazing speed, along with some other groups that are going to hopefully finish up more, or re-release some with better subs. I'm really hoping something works out with C1anime and Perrine, they've done an excellent job with Daddy Long Legs so it'd be great to see Perrine again with improved subs.
Aug 27, 2011 4:21 PM

Jun 2011
I didn't realize they were subbing World Masterpiece Theater titles lately! I'll have to check that out right away.
Aug 27, 2011 5:00 PM

Feb 2008
Indeed! I think we're a little behind on the subbing thread, but here's both their blogs to keep an eye on:
http://takara-fansubs.blogspot.com/
http://liccafansubs.blogspot.com/

Takara has completed: Nobody's Boy Remi and Treasure Island (not really WMT, but Dezai!), and now they're well on their way to finishing up Romeo's Blue Skies for a better release than the old one out there, the official WMT girl version of Remy from the 90's, and Ashita no Joe 2

Licca has completed Les Miserables and A Little Princess Sara, and they're working on Little Women II - Jo's Boys and Pollyanna now.

So a lot to keep an eye on! Hope that helps.
Aug 27, 2011 7:40 PM

Jun 2011
Man, why wasn't I keeping up with these fansubbers? They're my freakin heroes. Ashita no Joe 2? Thank GOD! I've been waiting ages to watch that!
Sep 22, 2011 1:03 PM

Jun 2009
Alright, so I got Legend of the Galactic Heroes Spiral Labyrinth (the only part of the series, aside from the movie that summarizes the first 2 episodes of the main series, that I have yet to finish) and the first Captain Harlock series as my next choices to watch. So...which one do you guys recommend first?

Of course, I have Perrine waiting in the wings. But, I'll wait for that to finish downloading first.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 22, 2011 2:50 PM

Feb 2008
May as well flip a coin, heh. I still need to see Spiral Labyrinth myself, but the first Harlock series was definitely awesome stuff and pretty out there (usual weird Matsumoto stuff).
Sep 22, 2011 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
insan3soldiern said:
Alright, so I got Legend of the Galactic Heroes Spiral Labyrinth (the only part of the series, aside from the movie that summarizes the first 2 episodes of the main series, that I have yet to finish) and the first Captain Harlock series as my next choices to watch. So...which one do you guys recommend first?

Of course, I have Perrine waiting in the wings. But, I'll wait for that to finish downloading first.
Go for Captain Harlock! I'm a big fan of LOGH but you should watch that classic space opera first!
Sep 22, 2011 4:37 PM

Jun 2009
Okay, then. I guess I'll go with Harlock. I've been saving Spiral Labyrinth for when I absolutely don't have anything to watch and I'll have it because I know it'll be great. So, Harlock it is.

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 18, 2011 2:03 AM

Feb 2010
The WMT series stick to their source materials and are a joy to watch. While I feel that these stories are better READ, I can't think of any television as wholesome as WMT. I've been collecting what I can for my nieces and when the day comes, my own kids. The folks who quietly sub these shows have my utmost thanks.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Ongoing Old School Anime Fansubs ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RobdeFR - Jan 26, 2010

2253 by JohnnyChuck »»
Apr 21, 8:08 AM

» A Thread for talking about Akira Toriyama

MrYuVideo - Mar 10

1 by RobdeFR »»
Apr 18, 8:46 AM

» I admit, I actually find Sailor Moon to be "girlier" than Tokyo Mew Mew and that's not a bad thing

removed-user - Feb 5

0 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 5:14 PM

» Chronological Order of Some Well Known Anime

Anakin1981 - Sep 15, 2011

40 by Anakin1981 »»
Jan 29, 11:55 PM

» The oldest anime you've watched. ( 1 2 3 )

Vulfreyde - Mar 28, 2012

134 by AverageRiceFan »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.