Forum Settings
Forums

[Update May 24] Interest Stacks: New feature for custom theme lists and challenges

New
Apr 6, 2022 7:47 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Last week, we released the new site-wide themes in preparation for today's brand-new feature release: Interest Stacks!

Restack a Challenge Stack

and complete 1 anime/manga (*) before
Tue May 31, 23:59 PDT
to receive a profile badge (or both!)

The -bu badge is for the School Club Showcase stack and the flower pot badge is for the Florist/Gardener stack.
(*) If you have already completed all anime/manga in the challenge, you will still receive the badge if you restack the stack!

What Are Interest Stacks?

Interest Stacks are a new feature which allow members to:
  • Find new anime/manga based on common interests or themes.
  • Challenge themselves to watch/read all items within a specific theme.
  • Attempt official challenges from MyAnimeList to receive badges.
  • Write articles about recurring themes or concepts in anime/manga and share them with others.

Member stacks must be between 5-50 anime/manga items and must follow the Interest Stack Guidelines.
Please see below for a brief tutorial on how to use Interest Stacks.

Official MyAnimeList Stacks (found here) can support 50+ items and will be used to fill the gap between site-wide themes and niche interests:
  • Anime programming blocks (noitaminA)
  • Specific award winners (Tokyo Anime Award)
  • Collections (World Masterpiece Theatre)
  • Highly requested themes with too few anime/manga for site-wide theme tags (steampunk, college)
  • Less popular themes with too many anime/manga (50+) for individual members to maintain (body swap, baseball, male lead in shoujo, etc.)
If you would like to request a new official stack to be maintained by moderators, or specific anime/manga to be added to existing stacks, please use these threads: Anime | Manga

The following features are planned and will be added soon:
✔️ Mobile version of all Interest Stack related pages
✔️ Integration with Anime/Manga DB pages like reviews or recommendations
🔜 Character stacks
🔜 BBCode/Markup on descriptions

Update: April 28
Stacks are now integrated with the Anime/Manga DB pages! And a few other changes/fixes have also been pushed at the same time.

Mobile web version is expected to release in the next ~2 weeks or so. In light of this and the number of people who seemed unaware of the badge during the Easter event, we've decided to push back the Challenge Stacks until the end of May. So you have another month left to work on them! We'll try to give out the badges to people who have already finished the challenge around the original end date before then, too.

Update: May 24
Mobile version is now live! Please let us know of any issues you may encounter.

Please note: Badges will be given out after the challenge deadline has passed.
KinetaMay 24, 2022 8:27 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 6, 2022 7:47 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
How to Use Interest Stacks

At the top of each stack page, there is information about your list and actions you can take with the stack.

#1 - Number of items in your list (Watching, Completed, etc.) / Total items in the stack
#2 - Your average score for the items in your list and scored
#3 - The "Restack" button and ellipsis menu for other minor actions (e.g. report the stack)
#4 - Buttons to change your view between Tile view, Seasonal view, and List view. *

(*) Note that article stacks (a description is written for each item) will default to List view. If the stack does not include any descriptions, then it will default to tile view.

Restacked stacks and your created stacks appear in your profile.

#1 - From your profile page, you can get to your restacks using the links underneath your profile picture. The count that appears here is both your created and restacked stacks.
#2 - See your progress on each stack from your profile page, or your friends' progress on their stacks from their profiles.
#3 - You can also go to your restacks from any page using the list icon in the top right corner of the website. (You can get to your Anime List from here, too!)
#4 - Quickly get to your created stacks from the top right corner and/or in your profile account dropdown.
#5 - Sort your stacks and restacks with various different sort options, and toggle spoilers on/off.

(Work in progress.)
KinetaApr 6, 2022 9:19 PM
Apr 6, 2022 8:02 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
This was one update I was really REALLY excited for! I'm so incredibly happy right now, and I can't wait to see how everyone will be using this new feature. Sending love to everyone who worked on this and made it possible <3 <3 <3
Apr 6, 2022 8:06 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
This is great, I already made an elitist starter pack stack.
Apr 6, 2022 8:14 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Oh wow, so are these like those custom lists I see people making on Goodreads or something?? Could be helpful for those who want recs...

Definitely seems like a cool feature that I'll use later, thanks MAL Team!!
Apr 6, 2022 8:15 PM

Aug 2017
Ohh, nice update!
I could be helpful for people searching for manga and anime like their favorites.
𝓒𝓱𝓸𝓬𝓸𝓿𝓪𝓲𝓷𝓲𝓵𝓵𝓪
Apr 6, 2022 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
Oh wow, I might hang out there in the next hours.
Apr 6, 2022 8:19 PM

Jan 2020
Interesting. It's very different but I like it and It'll be fun getting to learn it

Apr 6, 2022 8:20 PM
Aug 2021
Great & Interesting Updates
Apr 6, 2022 8:22 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
So excited for this feature! I'm going to challenge myself to get all the official MAL stacks badges! :D
p r o f i l e 👀
Apr 6, 2022 8:27 PM

Sep 2018
This is actually a really awesome addition. Going to have a lot of fun with this, thank you guys!
Apr 6, 2022 8:33 PM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
I'm excited about this because it'll be a great place for things that aren't common enough to be themes, or would benefit greatly from proper curation. Just make sure to read the guidelines, the poor review mods don't need any more work :')
Apr 6, 2022 8:39 PM

Mar 2008
Huh kinda like part of a suggestion I made before
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1742198

I like it but it also feels a bit redundant to recommendations because in some aspects they have overlap while this goes beyond it How are these two to coexist?

@Kineta
It's confusing the link to the page to make Interest Stacks and the link to the page to access the community's Interest Stacks are both labelled "Interest Stacks". I thought it was a redundancy in links at first or a bug. Maybe it should be "My Interest Stacks" or "My Stacks" instead?
traedApr 7, 2022 1:33 AM
Apr 6, 2022 9:01 PM

Feb 2020
hmmmm how interesting. Gonna play around with this for a bit; thx for the update
Apr 6, 2022 9:20 PM

Oct 2017
Thank you mods for the awesome update! :D
Apr 6, 2022 9:22 PM

Jan 2009
those Anime Challenges are a feature now huh, lets see if more anime fans gets addicted with achievements like those on video games
Apr 6, 2022 10:03 PM
No.1 Rias Lover

Feb 2021
Lets Gooooo
Apr 6, 2022 10:05 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
Custom Collection feature, neat. Could use some elaboration and will definitely need to be adjusted over time, though. But here's to hoping that MAL will patch their features in a timely manner. Maybe.

Not sure how well that 50 anime limit is gonna last, I could think of tons of personal categories that well over 50 anime could fall into that wouldn't count as a genre or theme.

I do have a question about this month's challenge. If one of the anime on the list is currently listed by me as dropped, if I finish it this month will I still get the badge? Does previous episodes seen matter? Also, will MAL be doing these monthly Interest Stack challenges every month?

Edit: Also, is there a way to see who restacked your stacks? You can see who retweets you on Twitter so I couldn't imagine why we wouldn't be able to see that.
bigdud24Apr 6, 2022 10:18 PM
Apr 6, 2022 10:13 PM

May 2018
Finally, something to motivate myself.

Apr 6, 2022 10:27 PM

Jun 2021
this is a great update!!
Apr 6, 2022 10:37 PM
Jul 2018
YOOOO FINALLY!!!! THIS IS LIKE THE LISTS PEOPLE MAKE ON GOODREADS
Apr 6, 2022 11:13 PM

Nov 2007
I tried it and personally think 50 at max is too little for me because I want to add more.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 6, 2022 11:19 PM

Dec 2015
There a reason why an Unlisted stack can't go past 50? If only people coming to your page can see it why does it matter how many are on it?
SniperKnighter- Dubbed Enthusiast/Purist

I classify myself as an above moderate anime advocate with more than likey different tastes than yours.

I've scrolled through many MAL favorite lists and the amount of plebeian nonsense i've seen is astounding to me. Honestly bringing anime mainstream i feel ultimately will be its downfall but i'm not dumb enough to think it wasn't beneficial in some ways as well.

MALs "top anime list" i feel is a joke and if you feel different i'm not gonna stop you, just don't shove the "holy" FMA:B down my throat and were good.
Apr 6, 2022 11:28 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bigdud24 said:

I do have a question about this month's challenge. If one of the anime on the list is currently listed by me as dropped, if I finish it this month will I still get the badge? Does previous episodes seen matter?

Yes, as long as you have completed an anime in the challenge, you will get the badge :)

Also, will MAL be doing these monthly Interest Stack challenges every month?

That's the plan!

Also, is there a way to see who restacked your stacks? You can see who retweets you on Twitter so I couldn't imagine why we wouldn't be able to see that.

Currently, no. This is just the first phase, so that's something we could keep in mind for the future.
Apr 6, 2022 11:38 PM

Aug 2014
I added the manga challenge one and then completed one of the manga inside. Did I do something wrong to not have the badge yet, or are they going to be handed out at a later date?
Apr 6, 2022 11:46 PM

Jun 2020
It sounds really fun!
Apr 7, 2022 12:06 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Smurf said:
I added the manga challenge one and then completed one of the manga inside. Did I do something wrong to not have the badge yet, or are they going to be handed out at a later date?

They will be handed out later :)
Apr 7, 2022 12:09 AM

Aug 2014
tingy said:
Smurf said:

They will be handed out later :)

Cool, thanks for the reply. Really cool way to guide people towards some new anime/manga.
Apr 7, 2022 12:21 AM

Apr 2011
Feels like a big middle finger to the AWC and AWCC Club to be honest.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Apr 7, 2022 12:47 AM

Mar 2010
Thank you admins and staff for another interesting update!! Looking forward to making own stacks.
Apr 7, 2022 12:48 AM

Mar 2015
Could it be moved from the community tab to be under forums? Gonna be annoying to always click on it after spending years getting used to forums being the first item.
Apr 7, 2022 1:00 AM

Nov 2012
This is really cool! Apart from its actual use, I am already imagining how this feature will be utilized in Easter Hunt and other events. XD
☩☩☩ MALoween 2023 ☩☩☩

x14
Apr 7, 2022 1:08 AM

Jul 2016
Looking great, good job devs, looks user friendly and useful for grouping titles. This can also be used to make watch orders
Apr 7, 2022 1:34 AM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
Yay!! I gonna make stacks!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 7, 2022 1:40 AM

Mar 2008
Mirai said:
Could it be moved from the community tab to be under forums? Gonna be annoying to always click on it after spending years getting used to forums being the first item.

That bugs me too but may just be to get it noticed but a better way of doing that is making a temporary label that says (new!) instead. Who is making the layout decisions anyway?
Apr 7, 2022 1:42 AM

Jan 2021
looks fun, can give users good recommendations.
Apr 7, 2022 2:27 AM

Jul 2020
I think it's a very nice addition. But I'l still going to stick with AWCC for my challenges.

AniList x Spotify x Instagram
“Whether we die or not, isn't really that big a deal." — Suzuya Juuzou
Apr 7, 2022 2:38 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Yeah, I can see making stacks being a big time eater for me and I'm not even complaining. I'm already thinking of stacks I can compile (or have already been compiling for years). One of them would probably have to be a character stack though, so I'll wait for that! Also, I'll give the challenges a try.

Some of these stack names already have me cracking up.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Apr 7, 2022 2:42 AM

Jan 2020
Really cool feature! I may try adding some stacks myself after I finish my exams (school is hard).
Apr 7, 2022 3:08 AM

Jun 2020
Legends_of_anime said:
I think it's a very nice addition. But I'l still going to stick with AWCC for my challenges.

I'll be doing both, seeing how these are actually quite easy to do in general and also quite easy to integrate with AWCc's challenges. I can pick an anime from the stack for say, my monthly etc. :D

『歌』
◁  ❚❚  ▷
‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎
Apr 7, 2022 3:46 AM

Apr 2015
tingy said:
bigdud24 said:

I do have a question about this month's challenge. If one of the anime on the list is currently listed by me as dropped, if I finish it this month will I still get the badge? Does previous episodes seen matter?

Yes, as long as you have completed an anime in the challenge, you will get the badge :)

I don't 100% get this. Does that mean it's irrelevant whether the anime/manga was completed this month and that you'll get the badge as long as there's any one item from the stack on your completed list?

Apr 7, 2022 3:47 AM
Dec 2019
I'm going to make a normie stack
Apr 7, 2022 3:47 AM

Feb 2019
This just seems like the "Recommendations" tab but in bulk. And sure enough, I'm already seeing the usual unnecessary fill - "these anime all have a song by this person," and "these anime are all from the same studio," as though we don't already have staff and company pages for that.

Like always, not a bad feature, but plagued by the community misusing it.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Apr 7, 2022 4:08 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
I find the options under both stacks a bit lacking, as someone else pointed out: some ain't finished yet and some ain't even available in English completely.

I can see these being useful for when you're really into one specific thing (or happen to be one of them hyperfocus types) and want to see more of that. Similar to recommendations but about topics instead of having similar stories/characters.

I think this could also be useful for AWC recommendation items if you don't want something from your challenge that you've planned to be recommended to you, just add it to a stack and say to not rec from your stack
Apr 7, 2022 4:09 AM

Feb 2015
It looks fun! I will definitely try to complete the challenges.
Apr 7, 2022 4:13 AM

Jul 2019
Sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I am too dumb to understand this right now.
Apr 7, 2022 5:26 AM

Oct 2015
This will be somewhat really useful to me as I use the lists section in letterboxd all the time and this is somewhat like that with a few more features to it. I plan to make quite a few stacks as time goes on.

Latest Blog: BLARE FEST 2023
Latest Review: Hyouka

Apr 7, 2022 6:03 AM
Mar 2018
@Tingy Do i still get the badge if i already have multiple completed anime in the stack?
A-MuxApr 7, 2022 7:05 AM
Apr 7, 2022 6:31 AM
Feb 2015
This is a pretty nice feature! finally MAL does something good.

Only thing that slightly bugs me is that for the official MyAnimeList stacks you aren't able to sort/separate Anime & Manga from each other. Right now everything is just all clumped (is that a word?) together.
Apr 7, 2022 6:43 AM

Mar 2012
How do I request to add a title to any of the stacks created by MAL? For example Kagami no Mae de Aimashou and Ousama to Shounen wa Himitsu wo Motteiru is not listed under Body Swap Manga, how do I request MAL to add these since creating a duplicate would be pointless.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

211 by niladribarua »»
8 hours ago

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Yesterday

0 by Kineta »»
Yesterday, 6:46 PM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Apr 24, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.