Forum Settings
Forums

Director of CANAAN Struggles With 'Drop by Episode 1' Manner of Audience

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 26, 2010 3:47 AM

Jan 2008
Ironic, coming from director of quite lackluster series with a very good first episode. He has some point with amount of series watch season but when you exclude fanservice ones, there's not much to choose from. I call bullshit, same as quote from Sora no Woto staff member.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Mar 26, 2010 3:52 AM

Aug 2009
People won't be moved nor consented unless someone dies. Why aren't they impressed by the character's survival? It'll be an easy job to create a war anime from now on. You can make a popular anime by letting the characters kill each other!

Well, first of all, not enough people dying wasn't really the main complaint against Sora no Woto.

But second, I totally agree with this. It seems if there's any violence whatsoever, somebody must die or else there's a lot of anger against the show. I mean, when it comes to any show, let's ignore the character development or plot setting. Unless someone dies, it gets looked down upon. I really am tired of that mentality.

Third, I don't think an anime where people just kill each other would be that popular if you didn't include any development whatsoever.
Mar 26, 2010 3:55 AM

Nov 2007
Mr. Ando should rather explain to me what sort of deal the production company got with our anime label to release CANAAN on DVD without any subtitles...

Mar 26, 2010 4:32 AM

Nov 2007
ReaperEXE said:
I wish I dropped Canaan at episode 1...

same,,,,,,,,

but ya know we need some sick horror animes/more seinen >.> soooooo sick of generic fanservice animes and crude adaptions of manga and eroge i wish some anime directors would read these posts

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Mar 26, 2010 5:40 AM
Jun 2008
Basically this is a lament from the writers and the producers not to blame them if anime continually is made to impress the audience rather than just be itself as an art form. Because it's all about the market these days. I remember when anime had time to be languid and took its time to develop everything. We live in an ADD generation, which is one of the reasons why anime have dipped from 26 episodes to 13 and now its falling even lower to 11. Very soon an entire series will be 6 1/2 episodes long.

It's also why books are much shorter too.
Mar 26, 2010 5:56 AM

Aug 2009
tehnominator said:
We live in an ADD generation, which is one of the reasons why anime have dipped from 26 episodes to 13 and now its falling even lower to 11. Very soon an entire series will be 6 1/2 episodes long.

I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of 26+ episode series are released every season.
garfield15Mar 26, 2010 5:59 AM
Mar 26, 2010 5:56 AM
Sep 2008
tehnominator said:
Basically this is a lament from the writers and the producers not to blame them if anime continually is made to impress the audience rather than just be itself as an art form. Because it's all about the market these days. I remember when anime had time to be languid and took its time to develop everything. We live in an ADD generation, which is one of the reasons why anime have dipped from 26 episodes to 13 and now its falling even lower to 11. Very soon an entire series will be 6 1/2 episodes long.

It's also why books are much shorter too.

THIS!!! Life moves so fast for people now, no one has learned how to slow down and focus on one thing. No one remembers how to enjoy the "simple things in life". I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but it does go for most people out there, in my own opinion.
I had a real signature.... but I got tired of it. What should I change it to now?
Mar 26, 2010 6:25 AM
Jun 2008
garfield15 said:
tehnominator said:
We live in an ADD generation, which is one of the reasons why anime have dipped from 26 episodes to 13 and now its falling even lower to 11. Very soon an entire series will be 6 1/2 episodes long.

I don't think that's true at all. Plenty of 26+ episode series are released every season.

Really? You think so? I'd like you to scan through last year's anime seasons. Most of the series were 13 episodes long or within that range. Only largely popular titles got 26 episodes or alternatively, huge failures. I was shocked out of my mind that Erin and Cross Game got slated for more than 50 episodes that year.

Even blockbuster money-makers like K-ON! and Bakemonogatari were under the 26 episode count. And they had money to throw around, and you know that filler doesn't mean anything to Japanese producers. It just means more money. But the success of them largely has to do with their shortness. Sure, we might want them to be longer. But this side of the world doesn't matter.
Mar 26, 2010 7:02 AM

Sep 2008
I'm the type of guy who finishes everything I'ev started.

If I watch episode one of (for an example) Bleach. And I don't like it.. I won't drop it. I don't think it's good to judge a series just based on an introduction episode.

It's like most shounen manga's, the first chapter always has a fight and it end with a victory that the characters don't expect.

But when I don't like the first episode, well, I'll continue watching, if I don't like it by 5 episodes, I tend to dislike watching it, but I'll still do it.

It can takes ages for myself to finish it, for example, .Hack//SIGN, it nearly took me 5 years to finish the anime (07-10-05 till 26-02-10), why? Because I disliked it, well, more then that, I despised it. But then, I've watched Detroit Metal City in 2 days, and I also despised that series..

But as you can see, I finish everything I start.
(And things that are "dropped" on my list are only there because I don't have resources to finish it, but this only happens to manga, but once I can finish it, I will)
Mar 26, 2010 7:15 AM

Nov 2008
Is this really true?

Don't forget, this is the same day that Gintama, a 201-episode series with a horrible first episode became MAL's top-rated anime.

The fact that you have to watch 41 episodes before a vote counts plays some part in this, but that still means that the 6841 members who were eligible to cast a ranking vote on Gintama had to sit through through the first episode (which even Gintama fanatics don't like) before they discovered their idea of comedy gold.

Another example that this is untrue is Lucky Star, which had 4 horrible episodes that no one liked, but it is still ranked an average of 8.35 by 35740 users and a massive fan base to boot.

A non-comedy example is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Apart from the intro, the first episode could have easily been mistaken as one for an average slice-of-life show, rather than the horror it actually is. Yet, it still musters an average of 8.57 by 32837 users.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Mar 26, 2010 7:16 AM

Nov 2008
that shit was ok compare to some animes
Mar 26, 2010 7:52 AM

May 2008
dtshyk said:

Akai Toshifumi (the general graphic director of "Sora no Woto") reacted to the opinions on the internet that
People won't be moved nor consented unless someone dies. Why aren't they impressed by the character's survival? It'll be an easy job to create a war anime from now on. You can make a popular anime by letting the characters kill each other!

It's so true unfortunatelly... Reading forums people always whining about "why can't she/he die already" . It's really sad that some people only watch a series because the characters kill each other. This was the case with Sora no woto ; people was expecting blood and murder and they dropped it because there wasn't. Making a war anime doesn't have to mean killing I think.
I'm not really kind to drop a series at episode 1 (ok, there's 1 or 2). When I drop a series it's usually because there aren't and characters that I like or can symphatize with...
sayamiMar 26, 2010 7:57 AM
Mar 26, 2010 8:11 AM

Aug 2008
Ah yeah, good laugh. This comes from the guy who directed one of the most boring 'action' series of recent years (not to mention many other flaws).
And wow, Akai don't understand why people are surprised nobody dies in a war anime? When instead of well... war they get ridiculous plot and little girls... Yeah that explains a lot.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 26, 2010 8:16 AM

Dec 2007
I usually watch the first three or four episodes of a show before I decide if I'm going to contiue watching it or not.
Mar 26, 2010 8:30 AM

Jan 2010
i watch the first couple episodes and even if its not very good i end up finishing it eventually.

Mar 26, 2010 8:46 AM

Jul 2008
Kikimaru said:
Hey guys, how about that "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"?

That first episode was weird, I'm not giving the rest a shot.
Looks like the worst series of the season.

*cough*

Haruhi Suzumiya is one of Japan's most popular anime series in 2006.
The 2009 ver. was mostly the worst series, but the DVD sales are still powerful.
In the first season, it explains how
. Also, I don't know why you think the first episode is weird, but its still your opinion...
Mar 26, 2010 8:54 AM

May 2008
I hated Canaan...

Join my club: The Walking Dead
Mar 26, 2010 8:58 AM

Feb 2008
I agree with mista Ando. It's just 20 minutes per episode, what are you losing? Precious 20 minutes that won't come back?
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Mar 26, 2010 9:00 AM

May 2008
I watch everything usually no matter how bad it is, I always watch more than one episode. I drop it when I hit 20 or so and it really seems to be getting nowhere/worse.
Mar 26, 2010 9:12 AM

Nov 2007
ReaperEXE said:
Mar 26, 2010 9:26 AM

Jul 2009
Most people have the attention span of an ADD goldfish so its not really surprising.
Mar 26, 2010 9:46 AM

Jun 2008
CANAAN was pretty good I thought. Usually I don't care for gun and bullet anime titles, but I was able to complete the series, which says a lot for me. Although I sometimes tend to watch a series (even a bad one) hoping it has a good ending in the least.
Mar 26, 2010 10:01 AM

Jun 2008
AlexSadist-sama said:
Oh well, it depends. Some people give stuff chances while some don't.

ReaperEXE said:

I actually really liked it.
I did like episode 1, but didn't continue after that BECAUSE of what SatoriTokku said. I have only so mucht time in a day so I select certain animes to watch. It was nothing against Cannan. There was enough in it to keep me interested but not interested it enough.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Mar 26, 2010 10:24 AM

May 2007
Just for the record, I would love to watch an anime full of bloodbaths.

But really, I don't think it's completely unreasonable to drop a series from the first episode. I mean, if the series is good, it's sure to catch one's attention right from the start. It doesn't have to be over the top spectacular, but it should have something, whether it's the story itself, or an interesting character, something that piques interest in viewers. Otherwise it's likely to be some mediocre piece of crap. If it can't prove that it's not completely terrible in the first episode, then I don't want any part of it.

Of course there are exceptions, but the first episode of an anime really sets the bar for the remaining episodes. It's the same with with normal tv shows, and movies even. You wouldn't go see the sequel if you hated the original. most likely
Mar 26, 2010 10:41 AM

Jun 2008
Actually I sometimes experience the opposite of dropping an anime after 1 episode.

Sometimes the first episode is the best episode, and the rest of the series either tanks or is not so great.

Here are some examples (all anime of course):

Maria Holic
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu
Ichigo 100%

and the best example.... The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009)
Mar 26, 2010 11:30 AM

May 2009
I never drop an anime at episode 1 unless it's less than 9 epsidoes long. I always wait until episode 2 before i drop an anime, and I usually pick it back up again later and sometiems finish it (This is what happened with School Days)

lolita_mistrix said:
Just for the record, I would love to watch an anime full of bloodbaths.

Same. It's all moe and slice-of-life now. And hohoho another fan of Dexter >:D
Mar 26, 2010 11:54 AM
Aug 2008
dtshyk said:

The reason people want to see the characters die is because we know they never will and it takes the suspense out of the fight. What is the point of caring about the battle if it is always one sided. The good guys always pull through, win and never die no matter what the bad guys do. If even one good guy dies it makes it better because then there is the chance that they might actually lose.

That said I would still love to have an anime where the characters all kill each other.
Mar 26, 2010 12:18 PM

May 2009
Lord_Obagon said:

That said I would still love to have an anime where the characters all kill each other.

Try Higurashi no Naku koro ni, if you haven't already. That has plenty of that :3
Mar 26, 2010 12:22 PM

Sep 2007
Squirrelpaw4970 said:
Lord_Obagon said:
Try Higurashi no Naku koro ni, if you haven't already. That has plenty of that :3

Yet they come back to life again and again...so in that sense I don't really think it counts... though I love it <3
Mar 26, 2010 12:36 PM

Feb 2008
is that why only the first episode of canaan was awesome and everything after that dropped like an anchor in quality?
Mar 26, 2010 12:45 PM

Jan 2008
On another note, some anime characters are so poorly 'designed' that no wonder so many people want them dead (whole Tokyo 8.0 cast, half of the DtB2 cast and then some more anime I won't enumerate).

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Mar 26, 2010 12:54 PM

Apr 2008
People who drop the series after the first episode are idiots. I'm surprised they have enough attention span to stick with anything. I first episode has to be absolutely horrible for me to drop it after one ep, and I usually try to finish every anime I start. I would have missed out on a lot of great series if I dropped them after the first episode.

The reason people want to see the characters die is because we know they never will and it takes the suspense out of the fight. What is the point of caring about the battle if it is always one sided. The good guys always pull through, win and never die no matter what the bad guys do. If even one good guy dies it makes it better because then there is the chance that they might actually lose.

It's okay for some anime, but sometimes it's nice to know nothing bad will happen to your favorite characters. How many people want the characters they like to die, especially in every anime they watch? Not me.
Mar 26, 2010 1:07 PM

May 2007
Oh yeah, still haven't watched ep 2 of CANAAN...
Mar 26, 2010 1:59 PM

Feb 2008
Nitre said:
I've dropped a few series at the first episode, and quite a few others are on hold also, but should really be considered dropped. Usually, it's extremely easy to tell whether a series will be worth my time or not. Good examples in my case are The Sacred Blacksmith and Sora no Otoshimono.
Sora no Otoshimono is good but had a rather generic first episode. I was really surprised by how honest it was and how great the execution was. First impressions are hard to change though so I don't expect you to ever watch it again.

I'm in the group that regrets watching past episode 1 of Canaan. Well, the only reason I even watched it was Sawashiro Miyuki so it wasn't all bad, but the anime itself was rather disappointing to say the least. It was based on a game so I guess it was to be expected.

First impressions are really important; I gave two shows a second chance this season, Baka Test and Hanamaru and it turns out my first impression was spot on, or rather, I haven't changed my mind and am unable to enjoy them despite what anybody says. Hanamaru is just boring and the only funny thing about Baka Test is Kirishima Shouko.

Anyway, this dude should just stop catering to the audience and just try to make an awesome show from start to finish. If you're expending all of your energy on the first episode in some misguided attempt at popularity you're doing it wrong. Do what you want to do and if people like it, great. If they don't, fine, at least you didn't compromise. Eventually you'll get popular or get kicked out of the industry. Either way, everybody wins.
Mar 26, 2010 2:07 PM
Dec 2008
But Canaan's first episode sucked.

Well, he is right though.
Mar 26, 2010 2:31 PM

Jun 2007
What's wrong with picking the most entertaining shows to watch?

I have given certain initially bad/boring shows second chances and enjoyed some of them. That said, there are enough series that are consistently good all the way through to safely ignore initially bad shows that might or might not get better later. In general, though everyone has their own counterexamples, shows that have good first episodes tend not to suck as much as those that don't.
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Mar 26, 2010 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
Kikimaru said:
Hey guys, how about that "Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya"?

That first episode was weird, I'm not giving the rest a shot.
Looks like the worst series of the season.

*cough*

Well, I was shocked I survived the Endless Eight but the first episode wasn't that bad imo.

I never really drop an anime because I'm opinionless.. or something it that direction. I can't stand not seeing something through.
Mar 26, 2010 4:07 PM
Jul 2009
kuroshiroi said:

I'm in the group that regrets watching past episode 1 of Canaan. Well, the only reason I even watched it was Sawashiro Miyuki so it wasn't all bad, but the anime itself was rather disappointing to say the least. It was based on a game so I guess it was to be expected.

The ball was entirely in their court though. Aside from the basic setting and character concepts, Canaan has nothing in common with the game it was based on.

They probably expected the show to sell itself on the basis of the Type-Moon connection (which is very loose) and flashy animation. Like many Hollywood action flicks, content was underprioritized.
Mar 26, 2010 4:25 PM

Dec 2008
Justicles said:
dtshyk said:
"I'm still seeking the solution to appeal to such people effectively."

Boobs

OMG the perfect description for bleach!
Mar 26, 2010 4:29 PM

Feb 2008
TJR said:
kuroshiroi said:

The ball was entirely in their court though. Aside from the basic setting and character concepts, Canaan has nothing in common with the game it was based on.
Seriously? How does the game compare then, story wise?
Mar 26, 2010 5:12 PM

Sep 2007
kuroshiroi said:
TJR said:
kuroshiroi said:

Seriously? How does the game compare then, story wise?
The game has different story, where though Maria and Canaan appear, but they aren't really main characters. The main characters are rather Maria's twin sister and several other people, including Maria's dad. The basic story is that they are trying to stop a terrorsit group from poisoning people in Shibuya with that if-forgot-what-it-name-was disease.
There was a pretty good blogpost on the original games story and how it connects to Alphard and Canaan, but now I only get 404 >: Well you can still look at the game's wiki page for further info.
Mar 26, 2010 5:31 PM
Sep 2008
I actually never trust the first episode since I long ago realized that they'll make the first episode extra good to hook people into watching it. By that logic, if the first episode, which is supposed to be trying really hard to be good, sucks then the show definitely should be dropped. That is, unless I have reason to believe that the first episode was just setting the stage and it will build up and improve soon.

I'm more quick to drop anime because I don't have as big of an attention span for it as I do for manga. Since I don't have the time or incentive to watch ten series a season I just watch only the series that I really love.

But sometimes I still end up watching things I don't like because I think they'll get better and they never do. ^_^;
Mar 26, 2010 5:59 PM

Nov 2009
sbyrstall said:
AlexSadist-sama said:
Oh well, it depends. Some people give stuff chances while some don't.

ReaperEXE said:

I actually really liked it.
I did like episode 1, but didn't continue after that BECAUSE of what SatoriTokku said. I have only so mucht time in a day so I select certain animes to watch. It was nothing against Cannan. There was enough in it to keep me interested but not interested it enough.

Cheers! XD
Mar 26, 2010 6:00 PM

Jul 2008
That's why only the 1st episode of CANAAN was good. Jackass.
Mar 26, 2010 6:29 PM

Jun 2007
After reading this thread I think there's a major difference between Internet watchers and Japanese natives that watch it on the TV. While the Japanese are bombarded with the same stuff over and over again, it's the exact opposite for foreigners. It seems like Internet watchers are more apt to watch a few more episodes before deciding if they want to drop it or not where as Japanese people will just flip the channel and watch whatever else is on. Kind of like how in the US all we have is American Idol and stupid CSI like shows. After a while it just becomes the same old shit we watched 4 years ago.
Mar 26, 2010 7:37 PM

Jul 2007
At least with the people I know, watching the first episode of a series to see if you like it is simply called "sampling" it. If you don't continue, that's not "dropping" the series after one episode, you're just not starting to watch the series because it didn't catch your interest. What exactly is so surprising about that?

Samplers work quite well, in my experience. The order I usually use to screen series is: apparent story genre, OPED, 1st episode sampler, then reviews. That last one is key due to First Episode Syndrome, much like Harushi 1st season had, where the 1st episode sucks but popular opinion is very positive.

So if it's a generic genre like a harem romance, the OPED is uninteresting and the foreshadowed events look predictable, the first episode had a terrible premise and clearly no character development was going to happen, and the reviews on MAL or the like all complain that it was completely generic.... why would I want to watch it? If it hasn't caught my interest by that point, why waste time on it?

More content is produced in a single minute around the world than any one person could consume in a lifetime. So why waste time on the boring and uninteresting when you could be searching for amazing or even life-changing things? You could watch 150 episodes of Bleach when it bores you to death, or you could join a fansubbing team and forge new friendships, or hone your art skills by producing fanart and meet new people on DeviantArt, or you could do a thousand other things that you enjoy and can personally grow from doing.

At the minimum, you could just watch something interesting.

Yeah, rating a series after 1 episode is bad behavior because you never watched it, but skipping a series because it didn't look good makes complete sense.
Mar 26, 2010 9:39 PM

Jun 2007
ShootTheBullet said:
You're entertaining yourself the wrong way!

...in Bed.

Kind of what his statement boils down to. Whether animators are artists or entertainers, they don't get to pick their audience. All they can do is work with what they have, and complaining about the viewers doesn't really help.
TorisunanohokoriMar 26, 2010 9:42 PM
Shameless Blog Plugging: animetics.net
Mar 27, 2010 2:38 AM

Mar 2010
They are really going the wrong way about pulling people in. Not only do you not need people to be hooked by episode 1 because if the rest is good, people that stick with it regardless WILL spread the word if it's worth watching. Beyond that, the real draw in first episodes should be more foreboding, not flat out action or someone dying.
Mar 27, 2010 2:40 AM

Mar 2007
Ando Masahiro said:

"It's challenging to let people just watch a series. ... Nowadays, young people are surrounded by abundant amusements. They can spare time only for a couple of series. That's why most of the series are dropped only by the impression of episode 1." "It was surprising to know that the audience want a clear presentation of 'What this anime is about' in the first episode." "Super-high density and pace of the story is one of the ideas. I'm still seeking the solution to appeal to such people effectively."

...is it me or is that the perfect definition of about 80% of the anime viewers in MAL? I guess this is true internationally and not just in Japan.

"What happens when we die?" I know that the ones who love us will miss us.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

21 by andragosha »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by ST63LTH »»
9 hours ago

» Undead Unluck Unveiled: Let's Talk Muscles with Yoshifumi Tozuka

Kineta - Mar 19

4 by Anime_Luv »»
10 hours ago

» Video Game 'Tensui no Sakuna-hime' Gets TV Anime in 2024

DatRandomDude - Mar 9

18 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.