Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2010 3:13 AM

Aug 2008
It was a good start... I enjoyed it, and yeah, it did really remind me of Higurashi... In someways, that annoys me, as I get the feeling that Ookami will be like a recycle?

Anyone else feel that the whole "old town" scene was similar to when Keiichi questioned Rena about the dam murder? 'cept it wasn't as creepy? (The "Uso-da!" scene?) Maybe it's just me...

Jan 8, 2010 3:58 AM

Apr 2008
Bad Low Budget Production..

Worst animation i've seen in ages.
The picure-rate is so low, it could be called visual novel.. Thats no anime for me..

*DROP*
Jan 8, 2010 4:08 AM
Mar 2009
As stated by many in this thread, the Higurashi similarites are without a doubt there. I find some of the characters annoying and some interesting.

But what I like most of all so far is it's atmosphere and it's aura of mystery. Those are good signs coming from a show like this.
Jan 8, 2010 4:13 AM

Jun 2009
Well although I don't agree with dudave (who is scarily from the same city as me....internet is smaller than you think)...I think the show has it's fair share of problems right from the start, if they really plan on ending this after 13 episodes, they better get a really good script composer to put everything important in there.

I'm not yet through the novel, but at least I arrived in another chapter.
As it seems the introduction-chapter was skipped and only some information from it stayed in there.
Somehow I got the feeling they wanted to skip to the juicier parts quicker...allthough I would have liked it better for the first time to encounter the mysterious girl to be after the Hassku-festival...through Hiroshi's eyes.
But well...it works out so far.
As all adaptions from Ryuikishi so far, they have to condense the story...but as long as they keep the important information in there it COULD work out.

In the end, it's not his best work, but at least a little bit more 'cutable' then Umineko was. I would say you can feel he was payed to write this, because many things seem to be rather recycling old ideas than coming up with new ones...but still it's a fun story so far and the anime kept at least the strangeness in...allthough the eeriness is missing.

And if you think Isuzu was annoying this episode...never read the original, she's at least three times worse.
One more Hiiiiiiro-kuuuuun and I'll make her choke on one of those Hassaku...
Waiting for: God Eater (PSP)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 8, 2010 4:14 AM

Feb 2009
dudave said:

Worst animation i've seen in ages.

I don't agree that the animation is that bad,but anyway,do you watch an anime just for the animation?
I personally liked the first ep and I think it's a good start.The music is very good and the atmosphere is very nice...
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jan 8, 2010 4:22 AM

May 2008
Good start, but didn't understand anything. Hopefully will get clearer after a couple of episodes.
Jan 8, 2010 4:38 AM
Jun 2009
hirahira said:
As expected, it's nothing special. And the short haired girl is really irritating. But it's only the first episode so maybe it will get better.

At least the music is good.

i feel the same way...
Jan 8, 2010 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
I like the girl carried the scythe. Isuzu is way too annoying and the classmates seem like hypocrites or bitches in the lamb skin somehow. :(
Jan 8, 2010 4:50 AM

Sep 2007
llamaben said:
Cons:
- The extra friendliness, but it seems that there is a reason for that...

That's the point I like the most. Everything and everyone seems so perfect but at the same I just feel the other side of this coin will even this out. The happier this gets, the deeper it will drag us down once this gets rolling, I'm sure of it.

So far I like it, I'll allow myself to look forward to this. So far, it seems to be like I thought Higurashi would be before I actually watched it (which turned out to be completely different from what I thought).
Jan 8, 2010 5:00 AM

Sep 2007
It wasn't that bad, there were some good parts. Hope the story will be good.
But Isuzu is annoying as hell =/

Rail_Tracer said:
Yay no VN readers bitching like in the Umineko board......yet.

and this.

Jan 8, 2010 5:01 AM

Nov 2007
Talk about Higurashi.

Festival + mysterious town + strange customs + transferring + scene at the beginning showing what's going to happen at the end + girl from the town refusing to explain something. Oh mai.
I mean this in a good way though. Higurashi's fantastic.

Anyway, the animation was much better than DEEN, and the plot seems pretty interesting so far too.

Soviet_Haruhi said:
What if the 'old town' is in fact, Hinamizawa? Try thinking over that for awhile, and discuss if you want.
Wow, it'd be awesome if that were the case.
amayadoriJan 8, 2010 5:08 AM

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jan 8, 2010 5:13 AM

Jun 2009
Amaya-no-Hime said:
T
Soviet_Haruhi said:
What if the 'old town' is in fact, Hinamizawa? Try thinking over that for awhile, and discuss if you want.

It's not. ^^°
The town is called Jougamachi, has it's very own rites and customs and is probably set in a completely different world from the When they cry universe...although the line オオカミがなく頃に (When the wolfs cry) is of course dropped during the novels (=∇=;|||)

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 8, 2010 5:39 AM

Apr 2009
well.. while having so much similarities to higurashi, at least i know i'll be continuing to watch it coz i like it..
Jan 8, 2010 6:19 AM

Aug 2007
It really is a real great thing that DEEN didn't get their hands on this. The animation and character designs look really great. I'm definitely taking a shine on how Nemuru looks. On to the episode itself, it was a nice start it introduce the characters and we got some Higurashi vibes of things not being as peaceful as they are. I can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 8, 2010 6:26 AM

Jun 2009
DivineTrinity said:
It really is a real great thing that DEEN didn't get their hands on this. The animation and character designs look really great.

Well but so far, apart from better animation (which is a must-do if they only animate 12 or 13 episodes), there is nothing really improved upon a DEEN adaption of Ryukishi's works.
Yes it's the first episode, but they already skipped tons of stuff...if as many people read it as Umineko everyone would be screaming AICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE by now ^^°

I don't want to imply the anime is going to suck, just wanted to point out that it's no way different.

私が、探偵だからよ。
Jan 8, 2010 6:39 AM

Aug 2007
seizonsha said:
DivineTrinity said:
It really is a real great thing that DEEN didn't get their hands on this. The animation and character designs look really great.

Well but so far, apart from better animation (which is a must-do if they only animate 12 or 13 episodes), there is nothing really improved upon a DEEN adaption of Ryukishi's works.
Yes it's the first episode, but they already skipped tons of stuff...if as many people read it as Umineko everyone would be screaming AICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE by now ^^°

I don't want to imply the anime is going to suck, just wanted to point out that it's no way different.

Except I wasn't worried about things being left out. I don't like DEEN for their animation. Unimeko/Higurashi/FSN animation really sucked. They had some parts where characters weren't even colored at all, ir some weird looking scenes near a ladder or just glossy in general.

Anyway I'm not worried about things being taken out. Unfortunately it being 20 minutes long things are bound to be left out.The only time I wasn't happy with it was when DEEN did Fate/Stay Night. It didn't flow right at all. >.> I didn't even read the VN when I first watch it, but it felt like something was wrong. From what I saw of this episode it flowed right, so I have no complaints.
Jan 8, 2010 6:43 AM

Aug 2009
Rail_Tracer said:
Yay no VN readers bitching like in the Umineko board......yet.

This

OP and ED were wonderful especially the ED. I listened to that about twice.

Yeah, I was literally counting out the Higurashi similarities but that's not necessarily a bad thing because this seems to still be doing it's own thing. What I really liked was the "perfect" school because I thought it was a normal school at first but then they started getting way too friendly with the main and then I'm like "Oh, there's more going on here."

When they were talking about the old town, I was thinking "Was there a dam involved?" >.<

"Hassaku....Hassaku..."
Jan 8, 2010 6:44 AM
Oct 2008
Isuzu is going on my nerves.

This seems interesting. So much similarities to Higurashi! Which is good.

I hope this aime don't turn out to be fail, like Umineko.
Jan 8, 2010 6:46 AM

Aug 2009
Amaya-no-Hime said:

Soviet_Haruhi said:
Even though I know that's probably not the case that would be sooooo cool.
Jan 8, 2010 6:46 AM

Oct 2009
Okay, so I watched this having no idea what genre it was going to be (yeah stupid, I know but I couldn't be bothered to check) but thought it was pretty good, although not something I would usually watch.
Isuzu was annoying.
Jan 8, 2010 7:05 AM
May 2008
Slow start, but that's the way all the Higurashi/spin-offs have started. Also, I've got to agree with Isuzu being annoying as hell. Next episodes looks interesting though, I guess the conspiracies will start in the next episode.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 8, 2010 7:16 AM
Mar 2009
Agree with everything... Im already liking this more than Umineko because the Higurashi feel is back, and Isuzu needs to die LOL I hope shes next on the list
Jan 8, 2010 7:18 AM

Apr 2009
hirahira said:
As expected, it's nothing special. And the short haired girl is really irritating. But it's only the first episode so maybe it will get better.

At least the music is good.

My thoughts exactly. Don't think I need to elaborate.
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 8, 2010 7:27 AM

Jan 2009
The first episode definitely felt like Higurashi but I felt there was some Shakugan no Shana too. Soooo, basically this is HigurashixShana crossover? :P
Waiting for more.
Jan 8, 2010 8:13 AM

Nov 2008
Wasn't as good as I expected. Even though it being a first episode, I don't have much hope for this one.
+1 for FictionJunction.
Jan 8, 2010 8:29 AM

Nov 2008
Looks promising to me. I think I'm gonna like this anime.
Tosi yst&auml;vyys ei j&auml;&auml;dy pakkasella! Thank you for your visit. Welcome again!
Jan 8, 2010 8:35 AM

Oct 2009
desolato said:
Wasn't as good as I expected. Even though it being a first episode, I don't have much hope for this one.
this for me, i loved higurashi, but i dont know i just dont like any of the characters and the art styles annoying.
Jan 8, 2010 8:35 AM

Jul 2009
Seems to be very interesting, the start was really too similar to Higurashi but i'm sure it will go to a totally different direction than you think...

Can't wait for more "story".

Jan 8, 2010 8:42 AM

Feb 2009
The feel is somewhat like Higurashi, but when i saw the characters, H2O Footprints in the Sand pops in my mind. I dont know but i just thought the design is similar, especially Nemuru. Anyways, not bad but not good as of now. Will keep watching. For now, 8/10

btw, how many eps is this going to be?

P.S. My japanese is rusty but the God and wolf has some connection besides the legend.
Great God=Ookami
Wolf=Oogami
correct me if im wrong :))

P.P.S. Dont like the uniform for boys

P.P.P.S. Mana is cute :D
Jan 8, 2010 8:46 AM

Jun 2007
Cons:

- Horrible horrible HORRIBLE character designs. I can't stand them. :/ Honestly, can their eyes can any bigger? I can't help but try to imagine how huge their gaps in the skull for eyeballs are. And then those tiny minuscule unnoticeable mouths! That's uber-exaggerated, even for an anime - though it's popular nowadays.
- Bad shiny artwork. Everyone seems to be saying it's much better than DEEN, and though this is true in terms of animation, and frames, and whatnot, at least DEEN wasn't shiny. :/
- Cheap Higurashi rip-off. Which is sad. You're disappointing me, Ryuukishi (and you're the reason I picked this anyway). :/
- Lame Kanon-kun Hirose or whatever his name is. Shoot me, I don't believe he's a guy, he's 100% feminine.
- Annoying Isuzu, annoying personality of Isuzu, desperately annoying voice for Isuzu. I hope she dies within the next 2-3 eps, but unfortunately little bitches never die.
- Too many dramatic moments showing the moon. We got that already.
- Nothing fresh, nothing original, nothing exceptionally good. Kinda like a new H2O ~ footprints in the sand or whatever it's called. Horribly bland.

Pros:
- Funny dad.
- A few nice nature backgrounds.

Overall: majorly disappointing, but I didn't have high expectations to begin with, since I usually judge something by the promo pic and the artwork had really turned me off the first time seeing it.
Sii_KeiJan 8, 2010 8:51 AM
Jan 8, 2010 9:10 AM

Feb 2009
confused_kitsune said:

- Cheap Higurashi rip-off. Which is sad.
- Nothing fresh, nothing original, nothing exceptionally good. Kinda like a new H2O ~ footprints in the sand or whatever it's called. Horribly bland.

I think you played at least 70% of the VN to make these statements...
Urufuzu_reinJan 8, 2010 9:19 AM
Jan 8, 2010 9:13 AM

Sep 2008
The only thing I hope for is that after watching this series, more people will recognize Fujita Saki's awesomeness...
Jan 8, 2010 9:38 AM

Feb 2008
felt like a mix of school days and higurashi...without the sex....maybe the violence. i didnt like how GG used their first names. it kinda throws me off when they do that.
Jan 8, 2010 9:42 AM

Jun 2007
Urufuzu_rein said:
confused_kitsune said:

- Cheap Higurashi rip-off. Which is sad.

I think you played at least 70% of the VN to make these statements...

I'm only basing these statements on what I've seen so far. Which is the first episode. Which I can already put in the 'things-that-I'm-100%-sure-I-will-not-enjoy-from-the-very-first-impression' category. Because let's face it, extraordinarily few series have a shocking different from the main thing first episode, and I'm guessing this isn't one.

P.S.: I would play the novel, were it translated into English and adapted for PC, again since this is one of Ryuukishi's works, which I seem to thoroughly enjoy. Unfortunately there is no such thing.
Sii_KeiJan 8, 2010 9:45 AM
Jan 8, 2010 9:42 AM

Aug 2009
I think Isuzu is this season's Yuka :P
Jan 8, 2010 9:46 AM

Aug 2009
I like the animation so far and the mysterious aura of the city.
kisami said:
i didnt like how GG used their first names. it kinda throws me off when they do that.

True. It's awkward.

Izusu was weird. What the hell, cling to a person you just met. Hiroshi is too kind, he's tolerating her. Izusu's even more weird at the preview.
Jan 8, 2010 9:52 AM

Feb 2009
confused_kitsune said:

. Because let's face it, extraordinarily few series have a shocking different from the main thing first episode, and I'm guessing this isn't one.

You're kind of right but I trust R07 too much to think that this will be just a rip-off.Maybe it will be different in it's own way or something.I heard some VN players saying that this is a good game,but worse than umineko and higurashi...
Jan 8, 2010 9:55 AM

Nov 2009
I don't want to drop it after the first episode since i really hated it so i'll give it a chance after they release 5 episodes

the main character and the short haired girl are annoynig even though Peach-Pit is the character designer i really didn't like it this time unlike (Zombie Loan,Rozen Maiden,Shugo Chara)
Jan 8, 2010 9:55 AM

Jun 2009
I think that it may be safe to assume,
assuming that this will have an arc style similar to Higurashi and Umineko,
that this is Izusu's arc. Since they do enjoy showing the end at the beginning.

Also I don;t know who said it first but those uniforms do look funny on the guys. No many men have sailor uniform tops.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jan 8, 2010 10:04 AM

Jun 2007
Urufuzu_rein said:
You're kind of right but I trust R07 too much to think that this will be just a rip-off.Maybe it will be different in it's own way or something.I heard some VN players saying that this is a good game,but worse than umineko and higurashi...

I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but strangely enough I just can't seem to get off the feeling that this won't be good. Yeah, (again, could be wrong since I didn't and can't play the game unless there's a translation) maybe as a novel it could be balancing towards the above-average story (Ryuu is really good at wording anything), but from the anime, I get the impression of a major letdown. Everything (especially Isuzu) feels forced. :| But then that's just my impression, based on my experience with disappointing first episodes, and not so much on solid arguments.
Jan 8, 2010 10:05 AM

Jul 2008
I feel like I'm watching Shugo Chara. :D
Jan 8, 2010 10:14 AM

Sep 2007
kisami said:
i didnt like how GG used their first names. it kinda throws me off when they do that.

True, they tend to do that in most of their shows lately, it's annoying. Worse the names they completely replace, like "sweety" for Isuzu-chan.
Jan 8, 2010 10:17 AM

Dec 2007
i actually didn't have any problems with the characters or how the first episode was... simply because the first episode of Higurashi was exactly like it.

I wonder how many people hated Higurashi after the first episode....
Jan 8, 2010 10:17 AM
Jan 2009
And here I tought vampire shit was the only let down I have to meddle with. It's just my opinion, but this show started like a strongly watered down version of Higurashi cross-bred with some random moeblob. I didn't even get any Higurashi vibes and I can already see how there will be no real gore. (no, I'm not after gore, but Higurashi without gore ain't Higurashi)

Tekky99 said:
...simply because the first episode of Higurashi was exactly like it.

Remember the first scene. That was sufficient to make people want to watch what comes after. Ookami Kakushi doesnt have that.

Will watch the next episode, then drop if it isn't any better.

[gg rant] What the hell are they doing switching first and last names when they aren't even called ? I mean, dropping the honorifics for localization is still somewhat fine by me, but what they are currently doing is plain retarded.[/gg rant]
Jan 8, 2010 10:18 AM
Nov 2008
The voice acting from 8:17 to 8:24 made me throw up my dinner... WTF was that, his voice actress usually does a great job.

Pretty meh ep, it felt like the first 2 ep of Higurashi. I probably won't visit the topics on this one, cause Higurashi is on my on-hold list and there'll probably be lots of spoilers in here -.-

And i hope someone else besides gg will sub this, cause i hate americanization, kinship, name swapping and the other meaningless stuff they do. Well, at least i don't have to watch it raw i guess.
Jan 8, 2010 10:18 AM

Apr 2008
I thought it was okay. Nothing special. The characters are really annoying.
Jan 8, 2010 10:23 AM

Apr 2009
Oh god a helpless wheelchair girl. She will either die or turn evil.

I don't like:
- Hiroshi's non-caring shy personality that somehow makes him popular.
- the weelchair girl's hat.
- that clingy girl's clinginess.
- that happy OST when she and Hiroshi go to school.
- The emo girl with the purple hair.

I do find the teacher extremely cool&handsome. I fantasize about him a lot. The scene where that guy tries to take him along was pretty scary, but the purple girl ruined the atmosphere afterwards

Nov 2009
Malestel said:
The voice acting from 8:17 to 8:24 made me throw up my dinner

I lol'd at this

May 2008
garfield15 said:
I think Isuzu is this season's Yuka :P

Exactly my thought... I hope it won't turn out to be something crap like 11eyes.

This wasn't a really good starting to me getting irritated already in the first episode. To be honest I don't expect too much of this. Using the "main character moving to the town" cliché again. Something like Higurashi? Maybe...
However, the animation was pretty and I also liked the opening and the ending. Well, I shouldn't judge just by the first episode, something awsome might turn out in the end.
Jan 8, 2010 10:28 AM

Apr 2009
When wolves cry
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami Kakushi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Samu-tan - Mar 25, 2010

126 by superwaha »»
Dec 18, 2023 5:00 AM

Poll: » Ookami Kakushi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Samu-tan - Feb 25, 2010

97 by Atavistic »»
Jul 21, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Ookami Kakushi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Rail_Tracer - Jan 20, 2010

187 by removed-user »»
Jul 20, 2021 11:07 PM

Poll: » Ookami Kakushi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Mar 18, 2010

133 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 24, 2021 9:48 PM

Poll: » Ookami Kakushi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Mar 11, 2010

112 by Nurguburu »»
Jun 24, 2021 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.