Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2014 9:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Holy shit, that bento looks delicious.

It was a decent built-up episode with the girls making outfits and decorations. I like how Hana is able to talk a bit about her thoughts but at the same time also being honest with them. It was also nice to see Hana's past a bit. What a cutie <3

It's going to feel different without Hana there though....
Stark700Sep 15, 2014 11:48 AM
Sep 15, 2014 11:34 AM

May 2013
Those emotions towards the end there. Sad that Hana had to leave.
Sep 15, 2014 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Hana's bento looks delicious.

Too bad, Hana had to leave.
Sep 15, 2014 11:52 AM

Jan 2013
That was predictable.
But Hana's mother sure is beautiful.
Sep 15, 2014 11:54 AM

Jul 2010
Hana really had to leave :(

With Hana going to Naru's house to tell her that she is leaving.
Then the letter following with the scene to say goodbye. :(
They look really good with the outfits.

It was nice to see that Hana's family is back together again at least.
The farewell scene though, sigh.
Sep 15, 2014 11:55 AM

Jan 2012
I might actually give this show more credit if Hana doesn't come back next episode just to go the opposite of expectations, but there's no way in hell that's happening. Well if they insist on giving us drama until the very end at least it's effective and enjoyable drama. I liked that Hana's mom was portrayed as a likable character who legitimately wanted to reconcile with her family. I may have thought this series had a bit more drama than was to my liking, but I have still enjoyed the ride immensely. I anxiously await the finale next week, and will be sad to see it end.
Sep 15, 2014 11:55 AM

Jun 2013
A part of me really hopes Hana doesn't come back, at least not in time for the competition. As much as I'd like to see a finale in which all 5 dance, I wouldn't necessarily like to see it right after such an emotional episode about Hana. If she comes back in time for the competition, it'd just be like... "So what was all the drama with the crying and farewells for?" I'd prefer Hana to come back later for a visit and dance with the group one last time, not in a competition.

As emotionally invested as I was in this show, this episode took the cake. The sudden leaving of Hana seemed like such an unlikely turn of events (although predictable) that I felt the emptiness the members were feeling at the end of this episode. What made this episode even more emotionally touching was seeing Naru be the one that Hana relied upon and Naru being the one that got members fired up for the competition once more. In the process of Hana realizing her dream, Naru has secretly grown into a really strong character.
Sep 15, 2014 12:00 PM

Jun 2013
animefan8800 said:
I might actually give this show more credit if Hana doesn't come back next episode just to go the opposite of expectations, but there's no way in hell that's happening.

Haha we posted similar concerns almost at the same time :P Yeah this episode would sorta lose its meaning if Hana comes back next episode. If she doesn't, I'll happily rate it highly. If she does return, however, I'll be slightly disappointed but happy nonetheless.
Sep 15, 2014 12:08 PM

Aug 2010
That drama was pretty amazingly done. Just the perfect amount.

Poor Hana, her conflict was quite tough there :*( I can't believe she just left like that :O

I don't get it though, if her dad is still staying in Japan for a while can't she stay until he leaves too :/

The tears and colors were beautiful as usual :3

Aniki ftw again XD He's become Sally-sensei's slave lol
Sep 15, 2014 12:17 PM

Mar 2014
Thought Hana's mom was going to be a bitch and try to drag Hana back to the States with her. I am pleased to see it's for far more benevolent reasons. I'd bet my best pair of socks she'll be back for the finale though. Probably to join in the festival dance. Convince her mom(or something) to work from Japan. It's going to happen. This show will more than likely have a happy ending.
Masaru is still a frigging bro. 10/10 would brofist this guy.
I also appreciate how Naru's personality has changed, at least among her friends.
Sep 15, 2014 12:23 PM

Apr 2010
Well it was obvious that Hana's mother came to bring her back to the States but didn't expect her to want to rebuild her family.
She seemed like a nice woman tho.

Tho on to the serious part i am willing to bet 20 Euro's that Hana will come back next week.
Either her mother will realise she had more fun in Japan or something will happen, but pretty sure she will come back.
Sep 15, 2014 12:35 PM

Jun 2013

The nosebleeds

The friendships

The feels

This anime is amazing for a simple slice of life!

Somewhere it took the right step to be one of the better cute girls doing cute things anime I seen ever! One more episode T_T

Sep 15, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2013
Lots of feelings this time. Hana's departure surprised me because I assumed the girls would convince Hana's mom to let her stay just for the festival, but instead we see them wish her farewell. This adds a little depth to the scene that is quite relatable for the audience. I mean, who would rush to the airport and demand she stay? I think that's what the four wanted to do, but in the end they showed their true friendship and best wishes.

Count me among those who thought Hana's mom would have been portrayed as a bitch, but again I was happy to see that she was revealed as a decent human being who wishes to restore her broken family. I'm assuming she plans on remarrying her ex-husband. Had Hana's mom been shown in a more cliched light as a selfish person then Hana finding a way to stay would have made more sense, but seems less realistic.

I thought the reaction of Naru, Yaya, Machi, and Tami were realistic also. It's nice to see that they will not quit the festival, even after losing a key member.
Sep 15, 2014 12:52 PM

Feb 2014
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow, what just happened? She actually left, you must be joking right now.
Oh, well, this was probably one of the most sentimental episode of this summer. But I haven't given up yet, I think Hana will be back in the last episode.
Sep 15, 2014 1:00 PM

May 2012
How did I not see the twist coming. I should know better by now...
Sep 15, 2014 1:17 PM

Apr 2011
Sigh. Well, many had guessed that her mom will take her away and it was damn sad to know it was right.

Based on the preview she could be back probably just to perform yosakoi and then leave. Between coming back to Japan or not, I say I would be happy to see her come back and perform with all of them. It won't be Hanayamata without Hana, right?
Sep 15, 2014 1:26 PM
Jun 2012
Wow, she actually left. I thought they were gonna pull the cliche "haha, fooled you, I never boarded the plane" crap. I wonder how next episode will play out.
Sep 15, 2014 1:59 PM
May 2014
Expecting Hana to go back to Japan since the manga is apparently still ongoing. Still sad to see Hana fly off. Did not expect to feel as sad as I did watching this.
Sep 15, 2014 3:15 PM

Oct 2013
Dem feels ;(
I suppose Hana will find a wormhole and appear in time for the show, eh?
Sep 15, 2014 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
I'm sad there is only one episode left. Why, is everything tearing me up? Ao Haru Ride today had me upset, too. The episode AND the fact that it's almost over.

It's not fair. :P
Sep 15, 2014 3:27 PM

Mar 2009
Aww man. I figured they would at least all dance together at the festival before Hana had to go. What a sad turn of events. Damn it.
Sep 15, 2014 3:40 PM

Mar 2013
Oh my God, the feels! It's been a while since I cried like this with an anime. Hana is back in USA, she actually left. It looks like a joke.
Well, clearly the Yosakoi club isn't the same without her. I hope things gets fixed.
Sep 15, 2014 4:25 PM

May 2013
Hmm didn't expect that she'd actually leave. Pretty surprising. She'll definitely be back for the finale, though I'm not exactly sure how... perhaps she talks to her mom about it while they're in the States, the family decides to live in Japan, and there's our happy ever after? That's too predictable though, so I'm actually hoping something else will happen.
Sep 15, 2014 5:56 PM

Jan 2011
WHY WOULD THEY DO THIS TO MY HEART!?

well i was expecting here to stay but nope she left,though looks like she'll make it back for the finale

Sea monk-big bro is so close to scoring with sally-sensei still rooting for you!
Sep 15, 2014 6:50 PM

Apr 2012
Oh feels.
Unlike Kotori (love live) Hana actually left and is not dissuaded by her friends.

She'll be back. Maybe she'll jump out of the plane or something....
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Sep 15, 2014 9:00 PM

Aug 2013
Hana come back! I hope the company her mom works for has a Japan branch or something ;___;
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 15, 2014 9:19 PM
May 2014
Yeah, the only way I see this ending well is if Hana's mom changes her mind and decides to move to Japan in order for Hana to continue with her dream. Hana's mom's dream is to live as a family again, so it would work out for everyone. I don't know if it means she will quit her job or work at a branch there, but I wonder about paperwork for school since they've apparently prepared for Hana to transfer to one in the US.
Sep 15, 2014 9:48 PM

Dec 2010
Okay, the whole parent coming and taking you away before your big thing with your friends has been done to death.

But this is one of the few shows that I've seen that pulls it off perfectly. I actually began to become emotionally compromised near the end of the episode. They managed to balance it out just right to make a compelling story, that tugs on the heartstrings.

I guess that can be said for the show in general actually...
Sep 16, 2014 12:06 AM

Sep 2013
The feels...
Also, this preview was the first time I realized why its called hanayamata >_<
Hana
Naru
Yaya
Machi
Tami
>_<
I feel slow now.
Sep 16, 2014 1:45 AM

Aug 2013
Dude holy shit...

I thought this was just supposed to be a SoL happy moe show, yet somehow every episode has done something to leave me teary. And I'm sure episode 12 wont be any different. Damn you Hanayamata, you deceived me.

Side note. Damn Tami look at that rack. I should expect nothing less from the best girl.
Sep 16, 2014 3:06 AM

Jan 2014
The mum is hot yo. I see Hana coming back, so there's no need to worry.
Sep 16, 2014 3:57 AM

May 2013
Although it may sound cliché, I wanted them to tell Hana not to leave so thats kinda unexpected. But I wish that they do that after the festival, not before the festival right?

But again, the feels is overflowing and I'm gonna miss this. Its one of my favorites this season though the anime was underrated.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 16, 2014 4:15 AM

Dec 2013
I really hoped Hana to join back with her friends.

yey, another Love Live deja vu.
Sep 16, 2014 4:37 AM

May 2013
The mother really was serious about taking Hana back with her. It was a family decision after all. I really expected that the girls will knock some sense in Hana's mother. For me, the yosakoi club won't be the same without it's first member/founder. I hope we get a big surprise for next episode. I want Hana to come back to the club.
Sep 16, 2014 7:24 AM

Jan 2008
Um, okay. So Hana couldn't just stay with her dad for that last week or whatever? So she couldn't just told her mother that she has something to do here and she can fly to States in a week? So it's okay she left the school after couple of days in the middle of a semester while it would be more logical for her to stay till the end of the year? Okay. Fine. It all seems... plausible, I guess. hell no it doesn't
Sep 16, 2014 9:16 AM

Jan 2014
This episode rekt me emotionally.
Sep 16, 2014 9:32 AM

Apr 2011
God this show is fantastic, this episode had every mixed emotion for this genre, cant believe Hana is gone but. i assumed at the airport they would stop her. Cant wait for the finale.
Sep 16, 2014 9:53 AM

Jun 2013
Ciara said:
Um, okay. So Hana couldn't just stay with her dad for that last week or whatever? So she couldn't just told her mother that she has something to do here and she can fly to States in a week? So it's okay she left the school after couple of days in the middle of a semester while it would be more logical for her to stay till the end of the year? Okay. Fine. It all seems... plausible, I guess. hell no it doesn't

Good point. I agree that she could have stayed a week with her Dad. Hana leaving, however, has the dramatic effect of conveying that she intends on leaving and not coming back. Her leaving shows that she chose her family over friends, even if that means abandoning the Yosakoi competition and her friends. This is why I don't think it really makes sense for her to come back in time for the competition, because it puts into question why Hana made the initial choice to stay with her mother and stirred up all this drama, instead of just staying another week with her dad. If she comes back saying, "I realized that my dream was actually to dance Yosakoi with you all!" then... cute as it may be, I'm going to be slightly disappointed.
Sep 16, 2014 10:13 AM

Jan 2008
pakoko said:

Good point. I agree that she could have stayed a week with her Dad. Hana leaving, however, has the dramatic effect of conveying that she intends on leaving and not coming back. Her leaving shows that she chose her family over friends, even if that means abandoning the Yosakoi competition and her friends. This is why I don't think it really makes sense for her to come back in time for the competition, because it puts into question why Hana made the initial choice to stay with her mother and stirred up all this drama, instead of just staying another week with her dad. If she comes back saying, "I realized that my dream was actually to dance Yosakoi with you all!" then... cute as it may be, I'm going to be slightly disappointed.

I'm more inclined to say that this is a problem that doesn't really exist. It's here as an hastily woven character development for Hana and has to be included just because poor girl didn't have any issues in the show. It's something that could be dealt with one easy question or discussion, especially if you keep in mind that Hana's Mum is portrayed as a very sweet and caring person or - if you want to be more manipulative and vile - she would say yes just because she's guilty for not being here for her child and husband (but I really don't think Hana had to resort to this, neither would she be able to do so and her Mum wouldn't protest at all in my eyes).
I like your explanation about choosing family over her friends but it would be better if they gave some more foreshadowing to that (it just happened in this episode to be honest, at least I feel like it did) and made a better excuse to why Hana must fly ASAP to America instead of staying one week longer with her Dad. Kinda "hand-waved plot point" if you ask me. But I'm not going to hold it against Hanayamata. It's a little cringeworthy, sure, but I find the show good enough to easily forgive it.
Sep 16, 2014 11:32 AM

Jun 2013
Ciara said:

I'm more inclined to say that this is a problem that doesn't really exist. It's here as an hastily woven character development for Hana and has to be included just because poor girl didn't have any issues in the show. It's something that could be dealt with one easy question or discussion, especially if you keep in mind that Hana's Mum is portrayed as a very sweet and caring person or - if you want to be more manipulative and vile - she would say yes just because she's guilty for not being here for her child and husband (but I really don't think Hana had to resort to this, neither would she be able to do so and her Mum wouldn't protest at all in my eyes).
I like your explanation about choosing family over her friends but it would be better if they gave some more foreshadowing to that (it just happened in this episode to be honest, at least I feel like it did) and made a better excuse to why Hana must fly ASAP to America instead of staying one week longer with her Dad. Kinda "hand-waved plot point" if you ask me. But I'm not going to hold it against Hanayamata. It's a little cringeworthy, sure, but I find the show good enough to easily forgive it.

Yeah I didn't really expect Hana's mom to be such a sweetheart. She seemed like she would totally understand if Hana decides to take care of the Yosakoi competition and say appropriate farewells to her friends before going to the US. It's just that Hana didn't speak out, thus creating this "problem" that Hana could have solved with a heartfelt speech about why she wants to stay in Japan a bit longer. I understand your point that this development for Hana seems somewhat forced and sudden since the "problem" didn't really seem like a big deal looking back on it.

I also wished they'd clear up why Hana must fly ASAP to America, especially when her Dad is still staying in Japan until summer is over. They should also have hinted more as to what family truly means to Hana, because otherwise we just have to assume she loves her family enough to let go of Yosakoi and her friends for the reunion of her family.

I do agree with your last point. Hanayamata has been a pleasant surprise this season, and I love how they took in all the stereotypical aspects that would typically make viewers complain or groan and actually made them enjoyable.
Sep 16, 2014 1:09 PM

Jul 2013
Oh come on people, we all know she's gonna be back.. even for just one day to attend the competition. There was too much build up for Hana not to dance with the crew she painstakingly assembled. It'll most likely be something like her finishing the paperwork for school transfer and settling whatever stuffs she needs to take care of in US just in time so that she can spend the rest of summer holiday before returning back. Well that's the cliche way I suppose but Hana will definitely dance with them.
Sep 16, 2014 1:21 PM

Feb 2013
Well, unless the preview showed her in America, Hana is definitely there for the next episode.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Sep 16, 2014 2:48 PM
Mar 2013
Before I watched this episode, I thought Hana's mom came with a lawyer and tried to take her back forcefully, but I was completely wrong. She asked her company to demote herself so she would have more free time to stay with them and wanted to rebuild the family. It must be a difficult decision. I can understand Hana couldn't refuse her proposal.
Sep 16, 2014 3:52 PM

Feb 2012
Mom had to ruin everything :(

I'm sure she'll show up next week though. She was already on the plane but hey, I doubt they'd end the show without the girl that started it all being there.
Sep 16, 2014 4:43 PM

Jun 2014
Wow... I didn't expect her to actually get on the plane. That... that was really sad!
COME BACK HANA!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 16, 2014 6:46 PM

Apr 2012
Hana decide to go back to USA, so the title will be Nayamata then... ._. lol

I actually did not mind because he chooses happiness but the choice he make will betraying his dream and somehow his friends even though they understand his choice.

after seeing the preview, there is possibility hana will return again because "We're no as one at all" hopefully she is back :)

waiting final episode

Sep 16, 2014 7:14 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
only one more episode left and I don't think I can contain all my feels.
Singing the OP as Hana was singing it in bed made me feel so sad...
They pulled the cliche and actually went through with it made my heart break....
I would love to see Hana back in Japan.
"You have to follow your own happiness. So that you can keep smiling. I like seeing you smile more than anything."
When Naru said that, it gave me this un-describable feeling of happiness, probably my favorite line from one of my new favorite series.
Will probably use that in an edit sooner or later
Sep 16, 2014 7:50 PM
Apr 2014
AcezHarfianz said:

I actually did not mind because he chooses happiness but the choice he make will betraying his dream and somehow his friends even though they understand his choice.

why you changed her into a male?
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Sep 16, 2014 11:55 PM

Jun 2013
So it went from a swimsuit episode to a feels episode?

Gotta admit I felt nothing, this show got worse and worse as it progressed. Episode 1 was golden and amazing, then it just started going downhill, to the point where I don't feel anything for any of the characters wert.

Thank fracking god Hana is gone, hopefully she stays gone so we dont have to hear her stupid annoying voice again
Sep 17, 2014 8:12 PM

Nov 2012
Well, Hana is gone. NOPE. BY THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, Hana is fucking back.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something.....

Ghefira - Sep 5, 2023

0 by Ghefira »»
Sep 5, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2014

161 by SoraKara »»
Dec 11, 2022 6:29 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

omega_d94 - Jul 21, 2014

84 by mazuchi »»
Jun 5, 2022 10:12 PM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2014

82 by Atavistic »»
Jan 21, 2022 6:09 AM

Poll: » Hanayamata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

155 by removed-user »»
Jan 21, 2022 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.