Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Dec 29, 2012 7:02 AM

Apr 2008
What's unnerving is the lack of information. Isn't there something?
Dec 29, 2012 8:01 AM

Apr 2010
shakeyourpup45 said:
What's unnerving is the lack of information. Isn't there something?

Toei just in the last few weeks started releasing information for the next Precure, and that just airs in February. We probably won't be seeing information until like May or June.

Dec 29, 2012 8:21 AM

May 2012
Oh wow..I'll definitely watch it.I love Sailormoon.When I was a little girl,my cousins and I used to pick who got to be who xD Sailor Mars is my favourite :)
Dec 29, 2012 1:49 PM

Dec 2012
mixed feelings about this tbh
on one side, I'm "askdjaldskdjsaldjajfk yes!!! my childhood!!!"
on the other side, I'm "oh god, please, don't f... it up, please (-_-) "
I guess we just have to wait and hope for the best (´・ω・`)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2013 4:48 PM

Apr 2012
I can't wait for this >o<!
Jan 25, 2013 11:42 PM
Jul 2010
BOOM! Watchin' this fo damn sho
Jan 26, 2013 12:08 AM

May 2012
Any efforts to go back and re-tale the correct path are more than appreciated, any old series re.boots anyway, anytime!

I will welcome with open arms.
Jan 26, 2013 1:36 AM

Jan 2013
From what I've seen/read from a lot of the fan's expectations and predictions, a lotta people think it will either pick up from where the last season left off or be a total reboot so it may be closer to the manga, but as for me, I think it be something totally unexpected if it took place years later and the sailor scouts are now adults instead of being just girls.

Jan 26, 2013 8:15 AM

May 2012
huh? NANI??!!
Jan 26, 2013 9:25 AM

Dec 2012
Not sure what to think about it. Magical girls genre has gone a long way from Sailor Moon to Madoka. Not sure if old fans still have an appetite for happy-go-lucky magical girls anymore, they wants them blown up now lol. Well, if they follow the manga this time, then maybe it will attract new fans to the series. I will watch a couple episodes out of curiosity.
Jan 26, 2013 1:38 PM

Feb 2010
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!

My body is ready!!

Sailor Moon S (Season 3) + Sailor Moon Stars (Season 5) excelled with their more "mature content" elements.... I have high hopes for this.

This is a childhood fave of mine, and I am soooo excited.
Jan 26, 2013 5:21 PM

May 2012
Lets be cautious, Saint Seiya Omega is nothing like the old Saint Seiya.

It depends what is their target audience, bring in the old audience or gather new blood, maybe from kids as SS Omega.

In any case I welcome this.
Jan 26, 2013 11:45 PM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
Not sure what to think about it. Magical girls genre has gone a long way from Sailor Moon to Madoka. Not sure if old fans still have an appetite for happy-go-lucky magical girls anymore, they wants them blown up now lol.
Weird you say that given we still see traditional Magic Girl anime like PreCure coming out every year. Don't forget that Sailor Moon was not a midnight anime but was watched by an audience similar to those who watch PreCure now (that is, a lot of young kids). Old fans may have switched to other things. They may not even watch anime any more, but I think this is as much, if not more, an attempt to get new fans for Sailor Moon as appealing to those old fans.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 27, 2013 9:22 AM

Dec 2012
I think your last sentence
symbv said:
I think this is as much, if not more, an attempt to get new fans for Sailor Moon as appealing to those old fans

somewhat answers for your first point
symbv said:
traditional Magic Girl anime like PreCure coming out every year

Since there are many new fans coming to watch anime every year, I think this is indeed an attempt to convert newcomers who have not used to watch Magical Girl genre yet. As for me, old fan, my tastes has changed a lot since I was little watching Sailor Moon and Sakura so I may not like it.
Jan 27, 2013 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
ThangLong said:
Not sure what to think about it. Magical girls genre has gone a long way from Sailor Moon to Madoka. Not sure if old fans still have an appetite for happy-go-lucky magical girls anymore, they wants them blown up now lol. Well, if they follow the manga this time, then maybe it will attract new fans to the series. I will watch a couple episodes out of curiosity.

I would still prefere Sailor Moon over Madoka. I am one of those old fans, that watched SM as it was being aired. Maybe because Sm for me will always be a reference point more than anything. And I still enjoy anime, in fact when i was watching SM I did not like any other anime at all, I was usually disappointed that I couldn't find more similarities between them.

SM has a huge potential because it builds up on a very romantic legend, the impossible love of a moon princess and the mortal prince of earth. The legend is actually a greek one, involving the deity Selene (aka Serenity). The legend itself is very beautiful and sad, take that and write a manga involving other very disturbing and mysterious themes and characters, and you will most definitely produce something with a huge impact on the fans.

For example, how many Madoka fans you know? I don't know any. Madoka fans as in... people trying to roleplay her, even kids, or young girls that made role models out of Sayaka or Homura? Really, none. Sailor Moon had very strict patterns for all it's characters and some of the mysterious auras that involved distant planets was well rendered for the outer senshis for example... as they were actually secondary characters they had build a massive fanbase that was overjoyed at what the outer senshis inspired. To have characters that inspire their fans is a very important and probably hard to achieve task. Is maybe similar to what Naruto is today. You can check around and see how many debates, how many conspiracy theories and how much fanart is produced from Naruto. Same goes for Sailro Moon, except it had a very different fanbase (mostly young girls) and it was set in a different time, well 20 years ago we didn't have access to the internet like now, we weren't up to date to what happens in Japan, we didn't have access to forums, to deviantart and whatever fuels the cerativity and love for the characters.

Apart from that, you have to question the reason why they chose to animate another season for Sailor Moon. I mean if it was ONLY for the old fans, they could do it 10 or 5 years ago.... Everyone who still loves SM sure did love her 10 years ago also. Why they didn't chose to do it then ? So I don't think they are doing it "for the old fans". But at the same time, SM always had a potential to be reaired if you ask me... there were always people who wanted her back... it's not "too late". But they must have in mind the new audience, sure thing. And I suppose they realize that the old recipe wouldn't work for attracting new fans... the old monster of the week style is just very boring now and we all know it. I guess it's more plausible to believe they are animating a version closer to the manga, because the manga was way darker than the anime of the time. And I suppose that would appeal to just about everyone at this moment:
-younger fans because it still has the young magic girls
-people who don't really like magic girls but will be attracted by the darker theme of it, just like in Madoka's case
-old fans because they want to see it again in different perspective
-manga fans , which include NEW manga fans since the manga is being currently republished so it is to be assumed SM already has a new fan base.

That's just my guess as why they will not make a "continuation". If they wanted a continuation, first of all Naoko Takeuki had to write new manga material. And she hasn't. If they really wanted a continuation, that would definitely address ONLY the old fanbase and such a season would definitely not come after 20 years.
Jan 28, 2013 2:52 PM

Jan 2012
ERMAHGERDDD YERSS I LERVV SERRLLER MERRNNN
Jan 28, 2013 3:04 PM

Jan 2012
It was the first anime I have watched so I hope they wont ruin it. I ams sure with a great animation and the better character designs it would be good
Jan 28, 2013 6:53 PM

Sep 2011
the artwork still look OLD AS DRY SHIT
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jan 30, 2013 7:37 AM

Sep 2009
Hopefully gonna follow more manga :D

Check out~ ♥ Some quality AMV:s made with love ♥ My Youtube
Feb 1, 2013 7:42 PM

Nov 2009
Yay, am looking forward to this :D. I loved Sailor Moon as a child, it was one of the first anime I watched. Even though my tastes have changed, I'm still looking forward to seeing what they will make of it this time around. As mentioned in other peoples replies, I also hope that it will follow the manga more closely and be aimed at an older audience.
Feb 1, 2013 7:58 PM

Apr 2011
Holy shit. I did NOT see that coming. First they remake my DBZ, now my Sailor Moon? Please remake Rurouni Kenshin too and my life would be complete.
Feb 1, 2013 9:57 PM

May 2012
Great a shitty anime with a shitty group performing the opening. Just perfect.

"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Brittania
Feb 4, 2013 12:10 PM

Jul 2012
I can't believe no official information got out yet.
Feb 15, 2013 11:51 PM

Nov 2011
bakaboy said:
From what I've seen/read from a lot of the fan's expectations and predictions, a lotta people think it will either pick up from where the last season left off or be a total reboot so it may be closer to the manga, but as for me, I think it be something totally unexpected if it took place years later and the sailor scouts are now adults instead of being just girls.

If you read the website, they specifically stated that it will be a reboot- NOT a sequel.

@Yuu- So you're not a Sailor Moon fan, but you felt the need to come here and lord your 'superiority' over everyone? Is your life so difficult and terrible that you must validate yourself by pretending that you are better for not liking a series than many people far older and, to be blunt, wiser than you enjoy? You're what, 15? You don't like Sailor Moon because you were barely out of diapers when it aired here. You are too young, naive, and quite frankly arrogant to understand why this is such a big deal, or to even just keep your opinion to yourself about it. I'm not sure what you hoped to accomplish by posting here, other than making yourself feel better by putting down the tastes of others. Don't worry though- You'll grow out of it eventually.
Feb 15, 2013 11:54 PM

Nov 2012
Can't wait.
I think I might watch the old series since it has been a while
Feb 16, 2013 9:56 AM

Aug 2010
Wow, I used to love the original series. I'm not sure what to think about a reboot...
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 16, 2013 11:24 AM

Nov 2011
malvarez1 said:
Wow, I used to love the original series. I'm not sure what to think about a reboot...

Really? I've been saying they should do a reboot for years. When I heard the news for this I was shocked and overjoyed.

I can't wait. No matter how bad or good it ends up being, it's going to be a fun trip down memory lane.
Feb 16, 2013 7:13 PM

Sep 2011
I was never able to finish the original series, but since this is an alternative version, looking forward to this!
Feb 16, 2013 7:23 PM

Feb 2011
Aw it's a remake? The original was so great though, why remake perfection? :(

Oh well, at least it will finally give me an excuse to "rewatch" it.
Feb 17, 2013 12:51 AM

Jul 2010
Reboot is more fair, because it isn't logical to continue the old series in new style.

As for 'artwork that looks old'... Now in some news we may see refs-looking artwork as illustration, but it's from artbooks about old anime, released in mid-90s. Don't get confused; it don't related to new one.
Feb 22, 2013 2:45 PM

Feb 2013
I don't understand why they are doing reboot. The original series were just great. It would be much better if they did 6th season. I remember there were a lot of petitions about 6th season a while ago. I don't think that I am going to watch this. *sad and disappointed*
Feb 22, 2013 3:03 PM

Apr 2010
Moonlight_Legend said:
I don't understand why they are doing reboot. The original series were just great. It would be much better if they did 6th season. I remember there were a lot of petitions about 6th season a while ago. I don't think that I am going to watch this. *sad and disappointed*

Most people this will be aimed at weren't even alive when the last anime was made. This is like Hunter x Hunter, a reboot to make it relevant again for a new generation.

Feb 22, 2013 3:08 PM
Mar 2011
RyanSaotome said:
Moonlight_Legend said:

Most people this will be aimed at weren't even alive when the last anime was made. This is like Hunter x Hunter, a reboot to make it relevant again for a new generation.

hence why the cast will suck to
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 22, 2013 3:09 PM
Nov 2012
I hope it won't be a sequel or anything, I've only heard of Sailor Moon but never really picked it up; would be happy to watch this if it's an alternative version!
Feb 23, 2013 12:39 AM
Jul 2010
Moonlight_Legend said:

Ah...where is people getting all this info about the new series being a "reboot" or a "remake" of the whole series? Because all I have found is that they are making a new anime to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Sailor moon. Now, this anniversary/commemorating anime are generally short, like the 13 episodes of Cobra the animation, made to commemorate the series' 30th anniversary.
While I would like to see the 200 episodes remade with new animation and following more closely the original story, I believe what they have planned is just an one-cour late-night series. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
Feb 24, 2013 3:33 AM

Jul 2012
NFH said:
Moonlight_Legend said:

Ah...where is people getting all this info about the new series being a "reboot" or a "remake" of the whole series? Because all I have found is that they are making a new anime to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Sailor moon. Now, this anniversary/commemorating anime are generally short, like the 13 episodes of Cobra the animation, made to commemorate the series' 30th anniversary.
While I would like to see the 200 episodes remade with new animation and following more closely the original story, I believe what they have planned is just an one-cour late-night series. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

I really felt bad after reading your comment, because it actually makes sense. Never thought of this but I really hope they're planning a remake series, just like Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist.
Feb 24, 2013 8:06 AM

Feb 2008
I hope they'll include Sailor V's story in the remake. It wouldn't feel complete without it.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Feb 24, 2013 3:06 PM
Oct 2012
NFH said:

I think it was mentioned that it was going to closely follow the manga at some point, so people assumed reboot.
zeohFeb 24, 2013 3:29 PM
Feb 24, 2013 3:08 PM

Jan 2013
Of all the anime that need reboots, they choose Sailor Moon.

Guess we will see how it turns out.
Feb 24, 2013 3:25 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:

I mean, it's not like Sailor Moon is an influential and popular classic or anything, right?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 24, 2013 3:35 PM

Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Solvite said:

I mean, it's not like Sailor Moon is an influential and popular classic or anything, right?

That was my point. Sailor Moon was fine how it was. They should remake Rosario + Vampire or any of the other really bad adaptations.
Feb 24, 2013 3:35 PM
Oct 2012
Solvite said:

Not many other anime 'deserve' reboots imo.
Feb 24, 2013 4:02 PM

Dec 2011
I'll probably watch this and see what's up. Used to catch Sailor Moon in the mornings as a very young kid, hell Sailor Moon is one of if not the earliest animated series I can remember watching and back then I had no clue what anime was or that it was really a Japanese show. Honestly I can hardly remember what it was like at all, just that the music and transformations were pretty catchy. I've never actually tried to sit down and watch the original series even though it's been at least 15 years now because I just figured it would be a little too childish or girly for me but perhaps I'm wrong and should give it a chance, might even get a little bit of nostalgia out of it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 24, 2013 4:14 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:
insan3soldiern said:
Solvite said:

That was my point. Sailor Moon was fine how it was. They should remake Rosario + Vampire or any of the other really bad adaptations.

Ah, sorry then. A lot of people seem to make fun of the series and I kind of jumped the gun. But, since I hear the manga is pretty different compared to the anime I think a reboot in that direction is the right way to go. Cutting out the filler alone should make for a better all around series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 24, 2013 4:17 PM

Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Ah, sorry then. A lot of people seem to make fun of the series and I kind of jumped the gun. But, since I hear the manga is pretty different compared to the anime I think a reboot in that direction is the right way to go. Cutting out the filler alone should make for a better all around series.

In general, I'm not really sympathetic when it comes to what I perceive to be cash grab entertainment moves.

I'd rather see a reboot to a bad anime series than a reboot to Sailor Moon, knowing full well that it will make money just because it's Sailor Moon.

It would be like Rebooting the Harry Potter movies because they didn't follow the movies to the letter, and then pocketing a ton of money.

Edit: I'm still going to watch this, and I hope its a full reboot and not a 12 episode thing like the above poster said.
Feb 24, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:
insan3soldiern said:

In general, I'm not really sympathetic when it comes to what I perceive to be cash grab entertainment moves.

I'd rather see a reboot to a bad anime series than a reboot to Sailor Moon, knowing full well that it will make money just because it's Sailor Moon.

It would be like Rebooting the Harry Potter movies because they didn't follow the movies to the letter, and then pocketing a ton of money.

Edit: I'm still going to watch this, and I hope its a full reboot and not a 12 episode thing like the above poster said.

Well, of course this is being animated because it's Sailor Moon and will undoubtedly make a crap load of money. But, so what? If it can give us a better story like FMA Brotherhood, Hellsing Ultimate and some other reboots then I'm all for it. I honestly don't care what the makers motives are.

Of course, this does indeed depend upon whether it's actually a reboot or not. I hope it is, because as much as I enjoyed the first two seasons that I've watched recently....there is certainly room for improvement.

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 24, 2013 4:34 PM

Jan 2013
I'm hoping they will make it a bit more mature.

Not like Ero mature, but maybe they could make the Romance a bit deeper and less cliche.

Also, awesome animation would be great too. 1080p CGI clothing changing transformation scenes.

James Cameron Presents: Sailor Moon 2013. Starring:

Sailor Moon: Ellie Goulding
Tuxedo: Jeremy Renner
Sailor Mercury: Natalie Portman
Sailor Mars: Miranda Cosgrove
Sailor Jupiter: Kate Beckinsale 10 years ago.

Yeah not doing the rest.
Feb 26, 2013 10:39 PM
Feb 2013
Kino_no_Tabi said:
I wonder if it's going to be a remake that follows the manga more closely.

I really hope not I want It to be a continuation or something
Feb 27, 2013 1:40 AM
Jul 2012
nekokitty321 said:

I really hope not I want It to be a continuation or something

It's not going to be a continuation.

moonkitty.net has been tweeting with "osabu" (Fumio Osano) trying to get information about the new show. They have a list of confirmed and unknown informative tidbits they've been able to glean. (For those who don't know, Fumio Osano is/was Naoko Takeuchi's editor.)

From moonkitty.net:
Here's what we know so far...

It is confirmed that this anime is not an anime film, but a series.
The new Sailor Moon anime will be released simultaneously worldwide!
The band Momoiro Clover Z will be singing the opening theme song.
The anime will be a fresh reboot. i.e. Not a continuation of the original anime set after Sailor Stars.

Links:
moonkitty.net
Fumio Osano's twitter (he tweets in both Japanese and English)

As for my preference, I would like to see an anime that is faithful to the manga. I feel that it goes in a much darker and emotionally complex direction that you don't really see in the original anime. You also get to see Usagi mature far more in the manga, and I'd really love to see that. All of the characters have so much more depth. Just my opinion though. :]
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
Feb 27, 2013 2:32 AM
Jul 2012
Solvite said:

Harry Potter did an amazing job of being as close to the books as reasonably possible. When talking about the deviation from original creation, Sailor Moon manga -> anime is a huge jump in tone, style, format, pacing; pretty much everything. Harry Potter's deviation is so minimal in scale it's really irrelevant.

Solvite said:

I'm sorry but if a production company can't prove they're going to make money with whatever they make/remake, it's just not going to happen. Say there's some obscure manga you loved but they made a crap anime? Or even something reasonably popular, but without a worldwide millions-strong fanbase. It will never be remade unless the manga hits the big time. It's the same anywhere in the world because making money is universal.

Bad adaptations happen. Book -> Movie, Book -> TV, Comic -> Movie, Manga -> Anime, you name it. Only the very rare ones that seriously flopped (and HP is lightyears away from a flop, lol) but that possess substantial broad appeal get remade, and only by rich, powerful companies that can afford the risk and absorb potential losses. (The Hulk being a recent example.)

Sailor Moon is a great series, I grew up on it and loved it to death. But it's a far cry from the manga, and was morphed into a "monster a week" show, which greatly diminished the overarching plotlines in favor of having some new baddie to beat/purify each week. It just followed the pattern for its era, and I certainly am not saying that it is not still an influential piece of Japanese animation history, because it definitely is.

That being said, it's old. The artwork looks old and dated, and when I went to watch it again a few years ago I kept an episode guide open so I could skip the pointless filler - there's a lot. Is it a way to make more money? Well, yeah. But there are a lot of people who are incredibly excited (myself included) to see updated artwork, and hopefully a stronger emphasis on plot, in the best case scenario following the manga as faithfully as possible. Remaking something like Sailor Moon makes sense in a lot of ways, not only to capture a whole new generation of fans, but also because technology has greatly changed in the last 20 years. Animation techniques, artwork, music, audio and video quality (SM in 720p/1080p? Yes!) have all greatly changed, along with the place that anime has in greater popular culture not only in Japan but in the rest of the world. An updated reboot is a great idea IMO.

I think it's a little harsh to chastise a business for wanting to make money. If finances weren't a motivation I'd question the ones who made that business decision, lol. This remake is coming 20 years later, and I doubt they're gonna start pulling out new ones every few years (Hollywood, I'm looking at you). They're trying to re-engage the old fans (people like me) and capture new ones (people who weren't even born, lol). Yes, it's a business tactic, but one I won't fault them for. To be honest, if someone said they wanted to remake something like.. Bleach? I'd be like, huh? That just ended last year, are you serious? Because then it would be patently obvious that they're only doing it for the money. There is no new audience, there is no significant update to art styles or animation technology, there is nothing better in HD audio or video, and with the exception of "filler arcs" it follows the manga faithfully. But to remake a classic 20 years after it aired? I find it totally acceptable, though you're within your right to disagree. I just feel that the perception that they're only milking a cash cow is overblown in this particular case.

The reality is that if we all get a shiny new Sailor Moon anime, who cares if they're making tons of money for it? If they please the audience, and grow it, then don't we all benefit?

TL;DR Sailor Moon reboot is a great idea. :]
"You know the old saying; when life gives you lemons, go murder a clown."

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."
"Okay, I'll go home and see if I can scrounge up a ruler and a piece of string."
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - 2 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
2 minutes ago

» 'Kusuriya no Hitorigoto' Second Season Announced

Nioxys - Mar 23

21 by andragosha »»
2 hours ago

» Manga 'Tougen Anki' Gets TV Anime in 2025

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
5 hours ago

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Reveals Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

2 by ST63LTH »»
10 hours ago

» Undead Unluck Unveiled: Let's Talk Muscles with Yoshifumi Tozuka

Kineta - Mar 19

4 by Anime_Luv »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.