Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 6, 2012 6:48 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a trippy episode - Lupin was on bad drugs, as were the writers of this episode...

The problem that I'm having with the series now is a matter of expectations - I expect Lupin stories to be funny, action-packed, slightly cynical, and generally fun. But this series seems to be attempting to have a serious psychological meaning to it, and I find that rather out of place and not terribly interesting.

That's too bad - I would prefer to be having more fun with a Lupin series.
Jun 7, 2012 5:26 AM
Jun 2008
quite the inception this ep

lupin found himself on operation table in a abandoned area.
flackback lupin owl person who want lupin to get fujiko.
zenigata & oscar arrive area for searching on info.
lupin sneak into owl people place also where zenigata want to meet the count owl.
cause all of this relate to drug island & also owl people been watching fujiko.
lupin try to shoot the count but it was faked then poof to lupin on operation table.
lupin wander meet a doctor cause he want lupin to save his "daughter".
cause of 13yrs ago lab was something happen yet "daughter" is fujiko.
more that fujiko was mix in experiment cause also why zenigata is search for clues on it.
lupin meet zenigata vs illusions fight then on the run yet illusions will hurt.
lupin escape from doctor then enter party world of young fujiko & bite is real.
lupin got owl blast then owl person shot self while zenigata now want both lupin & count.
yet all for the "experiment daughter" aka woman named fujiko.
LIVING THE GS-LIFESTYLE
MR.GS
JUST ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD
THE KLAC OF ANIME WORLD
you either with ANIME http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 or against the anime
Jun 7, 2012 5:59 AM

Aug 2010
MINDFUCKED!!
Jun 7, 2012 6:42 AM

Jan 2009
lol what a mind fuck episode indeed, well we will see in the last few episodes if this whole series is just an illusion after all XD
Jun 7, 2012 7:36 AM

Aug 2008
I think I didn't get it at all. XD
Jun 7, 2012 7:53 AM

May 2010
I AM MINDFUCK!!!!

this ep went from inception to alice in wonderland to cadylands to snow white, real quick

but it was all worth it got so see Fujiko as a child with that innocent smile

So was Fujiko his child or not? if so who experiments on their own child, that so fucked up.
Jun 7, 2012 8:48 AM

Mar 2012
Damn, what an intriguing mindfuck of an episode! I hope the conclusion to these mysteries is as good as the setup has been.

Despite the somber tone of the recent episodes, I'm thoroughly enjoying them and, rather unexpectedly, I don't seem to mind the adventurous nature of the Lupin series briefly taking a bit of a back seat.
Jun 7, 2012 12:57 PM

Feb 2012
What the fuck happened?!?!

I guess no can say anything for sure but I hope Mine's origin story is at least true and those owl dudes are creepy.

Too bad we didn't get to see Mine and Goemon this episode.
Jun 7, 2012 1:37 PM

Feb 2012
From what I can gather:

Zenigata's explanation at the end of the episode was true.

The owl people probably always had some of the drug floating around them so others saw them as owls. Other than that, I don't know anything lmao. I wonder what makes mine fujiko so special? They mentioned the power of fear a lot. How does this tie into mine fujiko always stealing things? I always thought she stole things to fill the emptiness she felt as a human being.
Jun 7, 2012 2:23 PM
Jun 2012
What a ride that was! Awesomely surreal and atmospheric.
Even when outside of his usual wacky role, Lupin is a great lead. Interesting to see some progression of Zenigata and Oscar as well - I bet the latter is going to try and "prove himself" by doing something stupid...

I can't wait to see how the mystery of Fujiko is resolved. Only 3 episodes left :(
Jun 7, 2012 3:33 PM

Mar 2012
LUPINCEPTION!!!

Honestly, the only thing I got out of this episode was Fraulein Eule.
Jun 7, 2012 4:50 PM
Apr 2012
so mm yeah wtf just happened
Jun 7, 2012 6:23 PM

May 2009
What the-

Huh-

Wait, what-

Jesus Christ, I need some time to digest what I just watched. It was a great episode in my opinion, but the creepy dark stuff just kept freakin me out and I couldn't understand everything I saw. Guess I should watch this a second time.

Also, Mine Fujiko is turning out to have a much darker backstory than I thought she would have, I mean, her father experimented on her in order to develop drugs to instigate fear, and then after he "died" (?), the owls continued the experiments and the Count probably raped her. That's a rough childhood.
Jun 7, 2012 7:16 PM

Jan 2011
And with this episode we discover that we've been in a single story arc from the very beginning (with possible flashbacks). This explains Lupin's interest in Mine right from the start (since he'd been shown a picture of her along with the reward for stealing her before he even ventured into the cult headquarters). I think we just got a feel for what the dizzy dizzy experience might have been, but after Lupin emerged from the hallucinations he still had a hold of the picture of Mine as a child. The OP and ED images make a lot more sense now, as does the underlying narration.

I don't know where we're going now--hopefully some happier resolution for poor Mine, but this episode just bumped the series up one more in my rating. Wow, this has been quite a season...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jun 7, 2012 8:41 PM

Apr 2011
So mind fucked.
Jun 7, 2012 9:49 PM

Feb 2011
I've got lost in the middle of the episode and just gave up, trying to understand, what's happening. I really don't get it.

Sooo, is she Kaiser's daughter or not? Would like to know that. Because if she is, that would make her partially german. And her of all people, one of my most hated characters in the anime & manga-universe, being german. How ironic that would be.

And I'm still not used to Zenigata not being all clumsy and stuff.

However, great episode, as most of them up till now. Even though, I didn't understand it, yeah.
Jun 7, 2012 10:15 PM

Jun 2009
Yeah, I'm going to have to go back and re-watch this series when it finishes. This isn't really what I expect out of a Lupin III, so I think when I go back with a fresh take I'll probably enjoy this more. Especially because I usually like psychedelic stuff like this.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 8, 2012 12:37 AM

Apr 2012
This series probably has a deeper characterization of Lupin III and Mine Fujiko than the entirety of the previous Lupin series. However, people seem turned off because this isn't the Lupin they expected. But I think this series is a perfect example of bringing a series back to life with a fresh perspective, while retaining older viewers with hints of the Lupin we knew.

On a side note, I am not sure that Count actually raped Mine Fujiko as a child. Now that we know that the existence of owl men is equivalent to being mind-raped, any experimentation on Mine Fujiko can be interpreted as physical rape in Mine Fujiko's illusions. After all, her own father first experimented on her. I wouldn't be surprised if her father is actually the Count, trying to reunite with her daughter. This episode would have been his rationale for his actions. But if the Count is her father, what a twist that would be.
s2012k1993Jun 8, 2012 12:43 AM
Jun 8, 2012 1:39 AM

Nov 2011
It was nice not seeing fujiko in this ep, well the present day one anyways

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jun 8, 2012 1:19 PM
Apr 2010
That's got to be one of the best, if not THE best play on story progression and background I've seen in anime. The inception-like atmosphere added to the whole confusion. My mind was blown!

10/10
Jun 9, 2012 12:46 AM

Jul 2011
Wow what a mind fuck that was eh. Truly amazing and maybe the best anime episode i've seen thus far this year. Despite being absent for the majority of the episode, it goes to show how strong of a presence Fujiko has in this series. It was interesting to see more pieces of her puzzle being slotted into place further explaining why she is how she is given the magnitude of the betrayal she faced.

That pharmaceutical organization also make for good antagonists. Human experiments, covering up the genocide of a town and creating a drug that holds the power of persuasion.

rodac said:
And with this episode we discover that we've been in a single story arc from the very beginning (with possible flashbacks). This explains Lupin's interest in Mine right from the start (since he'd been shown a picture of her along with the reward for stealing her before he even ventured into the cult headquarters). I think we just got a feel for what the dizzy dizzy experience might have been, but after Lupin emerged from the hallucinations he still had a hold of the picture of Mine as a child. The OP and ED images make a lot more sense now, as does the underlying narration.

I don't know where we're going now--hopefully some happier resolution for poor Mine, but this episode just bumped the series up one more in my rating. Wow, this has been quite a season...

Its great how there's even a hidden meaning in the op & ed credits which has become clearer by each passing episode. After seeing this, the first thing that came to mind was the opening and the owls. Particularly the one with the key in its mouth.
ImagineThatJun 9, 2012 1:03 AM
Jun 9, 2012 3:28 AM

Oct 2011
kaleidoscopic images of owls on top of butterflies superimposed on winter scenes and birthday parties........great episode full of all kinds of phantasms - reminds me of the zombie episode of samurai champloo (one of my all time favorites) - great show!
Jun 9, 2012 11:26 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Good episode.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jun 9, 2012 1:07 PM

Apr 2010
My mind is disconnetted. I need time to think about what the heck I've just seen.
Lupin was great in this episode.
Jun 9, 2012 2:55 PM
Jul 2008
I...wow, didn't get a single thing about this eppy. XD Only 3 more to go.
Jun 10, 2012 4:46 AM
May 2012
dbaranyi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a trippy episode - Lupin was on bad drugs, as were the writers of this episode...

The problem that I'm having with the series now is a matter of expectations - I expect Lupin stories to be funny, action-packed, slightly cynical, and generally fun. But this series seems to be attempting to have a serious psychological meaning to it, and I find that rather out of place and not terribly interesting.

Someone hasn't read the original manga or seen series 1!
Jun 10, 2012 7:40 AM
Feb 2010
Best episode so far.

This sums op my thoughts nicely:

pilipino101 said:
That's got to be one of the best, if not THE best play on story progression and background I've seen in anime. The inception-like atmosphere added to the whole confusion. My mind was blown!

10/10
Jun 10, 2012 1:42 PM

Feb 2008
I'm struggling to understand why so many people have found this episode confusing, it may have raised new questions but it definitely answered just as many.
Jun 10, 2012 8:41 PM

Nov 2006
Needs more owls.
Jun 13, 2012 4:14 PM

Mar 2009
whats this I dont even o_O
Jun 15, 2012 9:10 AM

May 2011
Looks like it wasn't just me being half awake while watching this. XD
Jun 15, 2012 9:11 AM

Feb 2010
Honestly, the best episode so far! So non-linear and interesting...

5/5
Jun 16, 2012 6:13 PM

Jun 2008
dbaranyi said:

LOL, yeah. This episode was like a bad trip. Hard to tell illusion from reality. At least it gave us Mine's psychological makeup....as in one messed up woman. Even then there was still a bit of humor behind it.
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

Jun 17, 2012 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
Does anyone else think that the Count is the father?

This was better than the more recent episodes.
Jun 21, 2012 11:53 AM
Jun 28, 2012 2:36 AM

Jul 2008
Am I the only one who likes the seriousness of this Lupin series? I find it a very nice spin on Lupin.
Jul 3, 2012 2:26 PM

Nov 2011
Jul 28, 2012 2:10 PM

Apr 2011
Can someone explain me what just happened? o.O
Oct 14, 2012 9:06 AM

Jan 2010
I would like to see more backgrounds *__*
she is so cute :3

Dec 2, 2012 3:22 PM

Apr 2012
Barion-Zara said:
MINDFUCKED!!
Nov 6, 2013 6:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow. What an unexpectedly complex episode, The atmosphere is so trippy and psychedelic too. I'm gonna need to rewatch this soon.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 11, 2015 5:53 AM

Jan 2012
Well I'm lost. :D It was certainly very interesting, I'm hoping things get cleared up by the end.
Nov 9, 2016 2:13 PM
Sep 2016
This episode was thrillingly awesome; Fujiko's past is really tragic and touching, I love this.
Dec 31, 2016 11:58 PM

Jan 2013
Finally calling back to the first episode with interesting development.
Oct 26, 2017 2:27 AM

Dec 2012
Lupin is back.
The Owl.
Lupin really wants Fujiko.
That's Fujiko's father?
He disappeared.
I see a nipple in one of those pics on the ground.
Lupin chasing after the pussy...cat.
I see a nipple in that pic.

Funny seeing Lupin wake up repeatedly. Great episode.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Feb 16, 2018 6:43 PM

Jul 2009
That's kinda a mind fucking episode XD

All I know is the doctor is Fujiko's father who used her for experiments to stop the war for some reason(testing the fear drug to her in order to mass produce).

It failed and it left him in ruin. The confusing part was he alive all these years? How come they can hurt Lupin in real life(palm still has the cut), but he disappears with one touch or any bullet??

Even Fujiko Mine's young self is showing him some flashbacks of her memories. Also at the end, when the owl appeared. It made me think that was the same doctor from 13 years ago. Since he did say, there was one subject who got left behind and started saying "Frauline Eule" over and over again which is what the owl has been doing since the beginning.

I don't know how Fujiko survived. Did the doctor helped her escaped then continued to experiement her(rape)?? Or is the owl just a different character altogether and the doctor already died 13 years ago and Lupin was hallucinating due to the drug. Not sure why Zenigatta isn't getting the same visions as Lupin.

Overall, it's a great episode. It gives us a little background about Fujiko and what happened to her. Why the owls was chasing her and all.

3 more episodes left!!
Mar 30, 2019 8:45 AM

Oct 2012
Illusions OP nerf please! xD

If there's one thing I learn, never ever experiment on your own family members
It's never and never will become a good thing :P

Backstory for Fujiko that wasn't in the original
I never interested in Fujiko, after this.. still not.. well maybe a little
Though I'm still sure I don't like Fujiko's character
"Signature removed"
Jul 28, 2019 6:26 AM
Sep 2017
Did I just have the drug sprayed in my face?! That's the thought I had at the end of this episode lol wft did I just watch. Fun though.
Sep 7, 2019 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
The owl-like people were really watching from the start, and for some reason they also want Lupin to "steal" Mine Fujiko like he said he would. They were also watching him, he tried to get answers, and it's sickening. The count is the owner of a pharmaceutical company which was making experiments with humans, and the leading researcher was a sick man who used his own daughter, apparently Fujiko, as a test subject.

It doesn't matter what he believed, he had no right to do what he did, and subject her to that kind of suffering. But overwriting personalities, controlling people with fear, and creating such a powerful drug which provokes almost-real hallucinations, and somehow holds memories from the past. Insane stuff, but now Lupin, just like Fujiko, is trapped in this nightmarish tale. I'm sure there's more to what's going on, and I can't wait, Fujiko has to break free from whoever is trying to control her.
Jan 8, 2020 3:48 PM

Nov 2016
The pieces are slowly coming together. And lol, this was quite the trippy ride.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

octal9 - Apr 19, 2012

57 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 2:10 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Apr 11, 2012

65 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 8, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

samuraitastic - Apr 4, 2012

141 by TheCrimsonEye »»
Feb 5, 9:40 PM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

m0xxxy - Jun 28, 2012

83 by removed-user »»
Jan 23, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

busterbeam - May 9, 2012

57 by St0rmblade »»
Dec 1, 2023 2:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.