Anime & Manga News

Novel 'Beatless' Receives Anime Adaptation

by tsubasalover
Oct 7, 2017 3:17 AM | 45 Comments
An official website has opened for an anime adaptation of author Satoshi Hase and illustrator redjuice's Beatless sci-fi fantasy novel. The anime is slated for Winter 2018. The anime announcement was also revealed at the Machi★Asobi Kadokawa New Work Announcement Stage on Saturday.

Staff
Director: Seiji Mizushima (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Series Composition: Tatsuya Takahashi (The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls), Gou Zappa (Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku)
Character Design: Hiroko Yaguchi (Aikatsu!)
Studio: Diomedea

Synopsis
With the introduction of an ultra-advanced AI that surpasses human intelligence, beings that mankind is yet to fully comprehend made from materials far too advanced for human technology begin coming into being. Lacia, an hIE equipped with a black coffin-shaped device, is one of these. In boy-meets-girl fashion, 17-year-old Arato Endo has a fateful encounter with the artificial Lacia. For what purpose were these artificial beings created? Amid questions regarding the coexistence of these artificial beings and humans, a 17-year-old boy makes a decision... (Source: Tokyo Otaku Mode)

The novel was serialized in Kadokawa's Newtype magazine from June 2011 to July 2012, and was published in a single volume in October 2012. The first five chapters of the novel were serialized in English by Tokyo Otaku Mode. It has inspired a 4-koma manga series by the same title and the two-volume Beatless: Dystopia manga, drawn by Kagura Uguisu.

Official site: http://beatless-anime.jp/

Source: Moca News

News submitted by edge13

Beatless on MAL

20 of 45 Comments Recent Comments

rooru-kun said:
Jonesy974 said:


So wanting the show to have the same level of quality and productions values as another show to do justice for the original character designer means I want them to be entirely similar shows?

Bronze tier logic there.


Having the same character designer doesn't mean it has to be same everything else including featured artist, music creator, studio. Wishful thinking right there. Let Beatless be something different and unrelated so that it doesn't get compared too much to Guilty Crown. Otherwise, everyone will refer to Beatless as the Guilty Crown wanna be.


That makes no sense. That's like calling Psycho Pass a Guilty Crown wannabe because they were both produced by IG and featured EGIOST. Wishing that multiple series by the same creator get the same high budget treatment with great staffing has no correlation with them being compared to one another.

Nov 29, 2017 8:45 PM by Jonesy974

Jonesy974 said:


So wanting the show to have the same level of quality and productions values as another show to do justice for the original character designer means I want them to be entirely similar shows?

Bronze tier logic there.


Having the same character designer doesn't mean it has to be same everything else including featured artist, music creator, studio. Wishful thinking right there. Let Beatless be something different and unrelated so that it doesn't get compared too much to Guilty Crown. Otherwise, everyone will refer to Beatless as the Guilty Crown wanna be.

Nov 27, 2017 9:02 PM by rooru-kun

rooru-kun said:
Jonesy974 said:


Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.


NIRGILIS, not Sakura. The artist is Nirgilis, the one that did "Sakura" (from Eureka Seven) and "Dreaming Shout".

I really hoped to see Nirgilis making the OP or the ED, but both artists (Garnidelia and Claris) are good. Still hope to see Nirgilis featured at least in an Insert Song or second OP or ED if there is ever one.

I would say, bringing Egoist into the project will lead people to compare this to Guilty Crown even more instead of just admiring this project as something totally unrelated to Guilty Crown (even your whole comment screams of wishes of trying to make Beatless as close as posible to Guilty Crown).


So wanting the show to have the same level of quality and productions values as another show to do justice for the original character designer means I want them to be entirely similar shows?

Bronze tier logic there.

Nov 27, 2017 8:53 PM by Jonesy974

Jonesy974 said:


Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.


NIRGILIS, not Sakura. The artist is Nirgilis, the one that did "Sakura" (from Eureka Seven) and "Dreaming Shout".

I really hoped to see Nirgilis making the OP or the ED, but both artists (Garnidelia and Claris) are good. Still hope to see Nirgilis featured at least in an Insert Song or second OP or ED if there is ever one.

I would say, bringing Egoist into the project will lead people to compare this to Guilty Crown even more instead of just admiring this project as something totally unrelated to Guilty Crown (even your whole comment screams of wishes of trying to make Beatless as close as posible to Guilty Crown).

Nov 27, 2017 1:17 AM by rooru-kun

OP: GARNiDELiA
ED: ClariS
http://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1510215340

Airing Fridays on 25:55 (Saturdays 1:55 a.m.) via Anime-ism (MBS, TBS, & BS-TBS) Starting January 12, 2018 (January 13 a.m.)
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1511490711

Nov 9, 2017 8:51 PM by tsubasalover

Stark700 said:
I've read the alternative manga version of this awhile ago. Can't remember much about it but I hope they make the novel adaptation worth watching.
Well this Diomedéa we're talking about, so keep your hopes 50/50. Who knows what they will do. We can only hope they don't butcher this one.

Nov 5, 2017 11:13 AM by kira525

Jonesy974 said:
Pretty fucking stoked for this. I enjoyed Guilty Crown a lot so when it ended I ended up doing a lot of reading around and found out that redjuice, who created the original character designs for GC, also did the illustrations for this novel. And even the sci-fi type premise of it seemed somewhat similar.

So as soon as I found out about that I was hoping to hell for it to get an anime adaptation. And that was...quite a few years ago now? Since it never happened I'd had assumed that it was just never considered and totally forgot about it until I read the announcement.

I've heard the story is immensely good as well, the novel seems to have gotten critical acclaim, and was in the running for a few awards or something too. Now it worries me that Diomedia is handling the adaptation, because it's not like they've exactly been churning out winners here lately, and they're pretty ballsack at faithful adaptations.

Kind of disappointed that Production I.G. didn't get this so they could give it a stupidly HQ budget like they did for GC, plus they could've brought in some of the same staff like the character designer. Either that or Wit Studio, since they actually did some anime promotional art for an English Beatless artbook a long while back.

Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.
Well this Diomedéa we're talking about, so keep your hopes 50/50. Who knows what they will do. We can only hope they don't butcher this one.

Nov 4, 2017 5:53 PM by kira525

But be prepared for a letdown everyone. Diomedéa is the studio producing this anime. Also redjuice is not designing the characters. From what i heard, Diomedéa has not produced any winners lately, let's hope they change everyone's views with BEATLESS.

Nov 4, 2017 5:30 PM by kira525

Don't have high expectations for this show, not after Clockwork Planet crushed my LN adaption dreams.

But will still be watching this, I love redjuice too much.

Nov 4, 2017 12:14 PM by SilverCrono

MortalMelancholy said:
FINALLY! The manga adaptation died fast.
It got cancelled or what?

Nov 2, 2017 7:52 AM by EGOIST

Ohhh i like that one, it is really great)

Oct 23, 2017 7:46 AM by JonesACraig

Jonesy974 said:
gophercg said:
Curious of nods & refs to GC, like if that coffin device relates to Funeral Parlor.
The scifi osts better be good.
But only expecting eromanga/rewrite level of writing...


Supposedly the novel received a ton of praise in the day and was up for a few awards, so we'll see. Highly doubt there's even a chance it'll be as low tier as what you mentioned.

Good to hope. Just those two script comps are concerning, besides the 2 shows, that they also brought us Venus climax, battle girl hs & Ushinawareta Mirai.

Oct 23, 2017 3:52 AM by gophercg

gophercg said:
Curious of nods & refs to GC, like if that coffin device relates to Funeral Parlor.
The scifi osts better be good.
But only expecting eromanga/rewrite level of writing...


Supposedly the novel received a ton of praise in the day and was up for a few awards, so we'll see. Highly doubt there's even a chance it'll be as low tier as what you mentioned.

Oct 23, 2017 1:05 AM by Jonesy974

Pretty fucking stoked for this. I enjoyed Guilty Crown a lot so when it ended I ended up doing a lot of reading around and found out that redjuice, who created the original character designs for GC, also did the illustrations for this novel. And even the sci-fi type premise of it seemed somewhat similar.

So as soon as I found out about that I was hoping to hell for it to get an anime adaptation. And that was...quite a few years ago now? Since it never happened I'd had assumed that it was just never considered and totally forgot about it until I read the announcement.

I've heard the story is immensely good as well, the novel seems to have gotten critical acclaim, and was in the running for a few awards or something too. Now it worries me that Diomedia is handling the adaptation, because it's not like they've exactly been churning out winners here lately, and they're pretty ballsack at faithful adaptations.

Kind of disappointed that Production I.G. didn't get this so they could give it a stupidly HQ budget like they did for GC, plus they could've brought in some of the same staff like the character designer. Either that or Wit Studio, since they actually did some anime promotional art for an English Beatless artbook a long while back.

Also wonder what they'll do for music. Obvious signs point to Egoist, which is always a plus. I don't think this would get a Sawano OST like Guilty Crown did. Plus there's that Beatless artbook I mentioned that also came with a collaboration music CD redjuice worked on with some vocaloid guy. It included a bunch of tracks, the main "theme" one being Dreaming Shout by Sakura (who did the last Eureka 7 OP). And then the "sound track" songs were vocaloid. Perhaps they'll consider incorporating those songs into it. I definitely would like to see that original music make an appearance, but I would absolutely favor Egoist.

Oct 23, 2017 1:04 AM by Jonesy974

Curious of nods & refs to GC, like if that coffin device relates to Funeral Parlor.
The scifi osts better be good.
But only expecting eromanga/rewrite level of writing...

Oct 10, 2017 1:43 AM by gophercg

Iorisu said:
Maachi said:

what anme/novel/manga or whatever is from the profile picture on the forum?:O


The pictures that I set as my forum set are just an illustration by Wayukako.
Sorry for the late reply, though.

ty so much:D
dont worry^^

Oct 9, 2017 1:14 PM by Maachi

If Redjuice doesn't do the art this isn't worth watching.

Need Nirgilis to do the OP.

Oct 9, 2017 12:17 PM by ZachM

Maachi said:

what anme/novel/manga or whatever is from the profile picture on the forum?:O


The pictures that I set as my forum set are just an illustration by Wayukako.
Sorry for the late reply, though.

Oct 9, 2017 5:14 AM by Cylico

Anyone had a chance to read the novel/manga? Any thoughts on how good or bad it was? I'm definitely gonna check this out but I'm worried it'll won't be a good sci-fi story.

Oct 8, 2017 7:19 PM by IndianAnimeReker

I can't believe it took so long to make it official. Like there has been a Beatless facebook page I liked a few years ago because they said it was gonna get an anime adaption. I guess it was shortly after Guilty Crown aired.

Oct 7, 2017 1:58 PM by RiukixD

Related Database Entries