Forum Settings
Forums

MAL Secret Santa 2022: The Great Reveal!

New
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2023 5:16 AM
Apr 2022
Hey @Barfky, I started watching Tamako Market after your gift was revealed, and I'm loving it. I have also added Kokoro Connect and Natsume's Book of Friends to my list, can't wait to watch them. Thank you for the wonderful recommendations!
Jan 9, 2023 5:19 AM
Captain

Jun 2014
Hey @LordJamp, thank you so much for your Secret Santa gift!! 🎅🎅

I really appreciate the time you spent looking trough my list and deciding which anime you think I would enjoy watching. I wasn't expecting to get more than 1 rec, and really made me happy to get 3! 😀😁

So far I've watched 2 eps of Bokura wa Minna Kawai-sou and will start watching Kidou Senshi Gundam: Suisei no Majo later this month. I have a bit of backlog and other things to do, but I'm planning to start watching Shokei Shoujo no Virgin Road in February.

Thank you again for your recs, I'll make sure to let you know which one I enjoyed the most. Hope you received a gift as great as the one you did!
Jan 9, 2023 5:20 AM

Sep 2021
Kineta said:
MAL SECRET SANTA
THE GREAT REVEAL!

First of all, A BIG THANK YOU to all of our SECRET SANTAS.

Annual Stats
 ♫ 2,950+777 initial sign-ups for the Rec Edition
 ♫ 310 initial sign-ups for the Image Edition
 ♫ 2,448+585 (↑1,095) Secret Santas for the Rec Edition after confirmations
 ♫ 118+119 (↓0) Elf Gifts for the Rec Edition
 ♫ 251 (↑32) Secret Santas for the Image Edition after confirmations
 ♫ 2,793 (↑985) unique Secret Santas
 ♫ 371 (↑106) Secret Santas that participated in two events
 ♫ 63 (↑25) Secret Santas that participated in all three events
 ♫ 3,505 (↑1,121) Secret Santa & Elf gifts

This year was our TENTH year of Secret Santa! 🎉 We've come a looong way from the original 154 unique Secret Santas in our first year. Things were extremely hectic this year in Santa's Workshop but we hope you enjoyed the experience in overall. Thank you to everyone for your patience as we tried to get all the gifts ready to go, and to those who participated for the second year. We hope to see you all back for MALentine's or Easter~

Second of all, please take the time to give A BIG THANK YOU to all of our ELVES.

Elf-pyon
 ♫ Graviity—team leader, 4x elf
 ♫ Aeveny
 ♫ AlvarRaynor
 ♫ Decoice—2x elf
 ♫ fluffycow17—2x elf
 ♫ HallowsIvy—7x elf
 ♫ imlaabem
 ♫ lumarel—2x elf
 ♫ Twintail_Daemon
 ♫ yorokobisenpai
 ♫ Conde_Mohr—7x elf
Elf-chama
 ♫ cesars—team leader, 6x elf
 ♫ GanSan—team leader, 3x elf
 ♫ -Masuko-—4x elf
 ♫ Natsuaki—6x elf
 ♫ Nymeew
 ♫ Treeky_—2x elf
 ♫ YayakoChii
Elf-hime
 ♫ Dancho—team leader, 8x elf
 ♫ Bricksticks
 ♫ Ebobebo—2x elf
 ♫ Everything-Fan—2x elf
 ♫ HimeCrycho
 ♫ nozomemee—4x elf
 ♫ Swiggy
 ♫ Timcampy118—2x elf
 ♫ vhra
Elf-tama
 ♫ rogueandtasty—team leader, 4x elf
 ♫ BlakexEkalb
 ♫ coffeedrops—2x elf
 ♫ ferrepls—2x elf
 ♫ gaussian_
 ♫ pokemonvortex—4x elf
 ♫ Shuuka
Elf-tan
 ♫ tingy—team leader
 ♫ awarii—4x elf
 ♫ Haptism93—4x elf
 ♫ MelissaWolf—4x elf
 ♫ stardew—6x elf
 ♫ Kineta
 ♫ Foxyclaws—2x elf
Elf-rin
 ♫ firefractal—team leader, 7x elf
 ♫ Nate—7x elf
 ♫ Tensho—5x elf
 ♫ Shinah—3x elf

Our elves took the time to compile all of the lists, painstakingly try to match them so everyone would get a user they could gift to, send hundreds of PMs, organise all the gifts, send hundreds more PMs, give advice on images, write elf notes, quality check and improve gifts where necessary, and generally suffer through the chaos created by running this event during the busy holiday and final exam season. Without all of them, we would have gone stark-raving crazy trying to put this together.

Finally, please be sure to:
  Pass your Secret Santa(s) a big thank you, and possibly, some feedback on your rec/image. Please remember that it's near impossible to get a gift 100% to your liking from a person who knows nothing about you; I'm sure your Santa tried his best!
  Post in this thread, telling us what you thought of the event!

See you all next year~

THANK YOUUUU
Yours Truly:
Jan 9, 2023 5:21 AM

Sep 2016
Fanez17 said:
thank you both for the recommendations and the gifts hope you have a nice year @iirayuki @SaintZeph

have a good year!! hope u enjoy your gifts!!
Jan 9, 2023 5:21 AM
Jan 2021
Thanks @Mlarp for the recommendation, I'm going to watch it as soon as possible.
I also thank the hosts of the event, it was fun.
My candies:
Jan 9, 2023 5:27 AM
Nov 2020
Thank you for this event! I can't wait to participate again next year :)
Jan 9, 2023 5:29 AM

Jun 2013
@Shuuka Thank you very much for the anime recommendations. I'm going to watch all three series as they fit my tastes perfectly. I already had one of them under my radar for a long time also, Kubikiri Cycle.

@Foxyclaws Thank you very much for the manga recommendations. I haven't read many in my life but these four really caught my attention. My intention is to read them all little by little, at my own pace.

And many thanks to the rest of the elves for their dedication, hard work very well done.

Jan 9, 2023 5:31 AM
Aug 2022
j-e-l-l-a-l said:
Hey @Barfky, I started watching Tamako Market after your gift was revealed, and I'm loving it. I have also added Kokoro Connect and Natsume's Book of Friends to my list, can't wait to watch them. Thank you for the wonderful recommendations!

You're welcome! 🙃
Jan 9, 2023 5:35 AM

Jul 2016
3,505 secret santa gifts, that's a lot! 😅

Thank you @Wanderfalke for the great recommendation, been meaning to get to Mononoke for a long while so you gave me an incentive to start. :)
Jan 9, 2023 5:36 AM
Oct 2016
A massive thank you to the elves they really helped alot and i enjoyed the comments they made.

To my secret santa @danet- i sadly couldnt find a dub for the main anime you recomended but i have added to my list just in case i try subbed again i did really enjoy the description of the anime you suggested. but i did watch alice in borderland like you suggested and really enjoyed it alot thank you
Jan 9, 2023 5:40 AM
Mar 2022
benjy8610 said:
A massive thank you to the elves they really helped alot and i enjoyed the comments they made.

To my secret santa @danet- i sadly couldnt find a dub for the main anime you recomended but i have added to my list just in case i try subbed again i did really enjoy the description of the anime you suggested. but i did watch alice in borderland like you suggested and really enjoyed it alot thank you

IM SO SORRY FOR THAT BENJY😭

I'll make sure to search for the dub ver for myself next time just in case!

I hope you had the best holidays tho, it was a pleasure being your secret santa, you have a good taste in anime genres!
Jan 9, 2023 5:50 AM
May 2021
I had an amazing time participating in the secret santa event! It was my very first event since I joined MAL and had a blast. I can't wait to participate in the upcoming events this year!

I want to thank all the staff that made this possible and Wish them the best 2023!
Jan 9, 2023 5:51 AM
Jan 2014
@AlbiKun thank you very much for your gift.
Ive seen now that Hamatora is only on your ptw, are you interested in my opinion about it or would you rahter not have any spoilers?
Hope you had some good holidays :)

Cheers
Gedatzu

Also a BIG thank you to all the persons working behind the scenes to make this possible.
Some "criticism"/thoughts for next year

- Ive read nowhere that the recommendation youre giving out has to be on your (completed) list but I got trouble for it anyways - also I didnt get an answer after inquiring further about it

- Now that the reveal is out I sorta understand the problem because you cant share you thoughts with someone that hasnt seen a show right? But I still feel like I can recommend a show to somebody without having watched it because my general knowledge about it is pretty decent. Anyways thats something Id like to see written down somewhere instead of an elf giving me a strike one day before the deadline.

- It was even more delayed than last year but thats no surprise giving the huge number of applications this year. To prevent it maybe limit the number of participants or increase the number of volunteers working behind it? Maybe a ratio of X secret santas max to 1 person working behind the scenes.
This may not be appropriate giving the circumstances but its just a thought. I know its easy to say as somebody who has done absolutely nothing to help with it :p
Jan 9, 2023 5:53 AM
Feb 2020
Thank you for the recs @tailaria! The only one I've been able to watch so far is Psycho-Pass and I loved it. I can already tell I'm going to like the other two, so I'll try to watch them as soon as I can. Thank you again for the awesome recommendations! :)
Mr_Duke_Jan 9, 2023 6:04 AM
Jan 9, 2023 5:54 AM

May 2020
Stardew said:
@tl_dr @alinaokumura
Thank you so much for recommending me several recommendations. I have sadly not finished them but I am really happy of all the time and effort you both spent finding my recommendations while also writing very long explanations of why I would enjoy each one!!

I have started Amnesia first seeing as it was the shortest but was not able to finish in time for the reveal due to work and the new seasonals but I am really looking forward to watching my all my recs because of how you explained everything, thank you tl_dr!!
[...]
Hey @Stardew I hope my recommendations weren't utterly terrible and they you may find at least some enjoyment in them if you pick any of them up! (And also thank your for helping out as an elf, according to that list, this event wouldn't be possible without people like you)

Also thanks to @teteucps and @hrxsh for their sincere recommendations!
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Jan 9, 2023 5:57 AM
Jun 2021
Thank you for your hardwork, the event was very nicely executed! Would love to interact more with the community with the help of such events!
Jan 9, 2023 6:02 AM

Aug 2014
Berumotto said:
@Shuuka Thank you very much for the anime recommendations. I'm going to watch all three series as they fit my tastes perfectly. I already had one of them under my radar for a long time also, Kubikiri Cycle.
Glad they were to your liking! Romeo is actually one of my personal favorites so I'm always happy when I'm able to successfully rec it to someone ^^

△ ▼ △
Deliveries
Anime Guild
Inquiries
Set by Nate
▲ ▽ ▲
Jan 9, 2023 6:06 AM
Feb 2010

Thanks @Ryuzaki_Shoryu for recommending me Ben-To, not sure how i missed this one but I'm glad to add it to my list and ill make my own Bento at home from now on!  

Jan 9, 2023 6:11 AM
Jun 2021
It was my first year participating in this event and I really loved it!
Thanks to all the elves who put their time, sweat and tears into this just so it could happen. You guys are amazing.
Jan 9, 2023 6:17 AM
May 2014
Thank you very much for the recommendations @Athalien

I will check them soon, after finishing Blade of the Inmortal, whichi I'm in the middile right now. I'm very curious about the first and second one mainly.
Jan 9, 2023 6:17 AM
Aug 2021
Thank you fo the event.
I enjoy a lot.
Jan 9, 2023 6:19 AM

Dec 2016
This is my first time partaking in an event like this. It was fun. Shout out to the elves big time for all the work they put in for this! Thanks to @Pernodi for the rec. I'm currently watching the recommendation you gave, and I'm loving it so far. I'll definitely check out the other rec, thanks again.

《Ani List》» «《Manga List》
Jan 9, 2023 6:27 AM

Jul 2016
It was my first time taking part in the secret santa and it was so much so much fun!
Thank for the organisation and shoutout to all the elves who made the event possible. You are amazing!

Thank you so much @OfDeathandLove for your recommendations!! Really like the synopsis of everything and cannot wait to dive in. I already started Shirokuma Cafe and it's perfect. So wholesome, so cosy, definitely the best way to start the year. ♥
Jan 9, 2023 6:35 AM
Oct 2019
rPancham said:
To my Santa @SuperComicGeek, thanks for the recommendation! I stuck myself right at first and I liked it. Thanks!

And to my recipient @Yava_01, I hope you enjoyed it. It's one of my favorite animes!

Thanks for the event! I liked it a lot!
I loved it! That's exactly my kind of anime and it's so wholesome, plus I can really relate to all the characters as I'm basically an all-around otaku myself hahahaha

Also, I saw your profile and we have quite similar tastes lol, props for having Angel Beats in your favorites :)
Jan 9, 2023 6:36 AM
Jul 2020
Great event! Shoutout to the elves who made up for the AWOL santas, you da real ones.

To my secret santa @hyewon : Gotta say, you definitely understood the assignment! I watched the first episode of K, and immediately got Kekkai Sensen vibes. Somehow you've managed to pinpoint the exact anime among my profile favorites the actual favorite one lol (I love all of my children equally, especially Klaus). Also thanks for the heads up about Hellsing Ultimate, I'll probably watch the original as well though, since they're both relatively short.
Jan 9, 2023 6:36 AM

Nov 2015
longevityvirus said:
Thank you @Boggante for your thoughtful recommendations :) I started watching Golden Kamuy and I'm really enjoying it so far!
You're welcome :)) I'm glad you enjoyed them, I know Golden Kamuy can be a bit slow on the start for some people but it picks up later on I promise :)
Jan 9, 2023 6:37 AM
Jul 2018
I hope my recipient was able to watch my recommendation. The way I wrote my paragraph was kind of bad. I am not good at writing essays! @Renisbored how is itqwq
Jan 9, 2023 6:40 AM

Feb 2021
Happosama said:
Now this was quite a Challenge. Maybe, a little more time to prepare & make the gifts next year could help. Other than that, it was fun. Once again, a big THX to the Elves who probably went through All-Nighters to get it done (The Elves' Christmas Song from Futurama comes to mind*) and special THX @Jokobo. I promise I'll try to get my hands on the recommended series ASAP (One is currently 'regionblocked' - or better, the Player is unsupported - , and the other is only for Premium Members). Nevertheless, I'd like to show my Gratitude for you giving your best effort to come up with your gift…

@DatBoi_Theo NOBODY has gotten their hypothetical Badges yet. As usual, they'll take some time AFTER the Closure of the Event as well. And no, it was clearly stated in the OP that you need to only subscribe to one of them to get it (Unless, possibly, if you were a Naughty Santa). ;-)

oh ok thanks for clearing it up, I saw a guy who had what looked like the badge that we would get but it's my fault because I didn't check from what year it was
My Candies:
Jan 9, 2023 6:42 AM

Aug 2012
Big thanks to all the elves!

This event's clearly getting bigger with each year, I think it'd be probably a good idea to start it earlier and/or give more time for making gifts, and for elves to check and send them.

People were probably the most upset about the delays (and would ask about it a lot on discord/forum, which I'm sure was annoying for the elves) so giving a bigger time frame would probably help everyone be less stressed, even if it would mean gifts would be sent later. The event could even start earlier than usual to make up for it. Like in November? I feel like there wouldn't be anything wrong with that.

ワンダーランズ×ショウタイム
Jan 9, 2023 6:43 AM
Mar 2021
That was so fun. See you next year!
Jan 9, 2023 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
To my santa @-koolkid I have already started your recommendation but sadly didn't have enough time to watch more than a few episodes! But so far it really hits all the sweet spots, thank you so much. Also I'm glad you didn't just look at my 10/10 and favourites but also at other anime I really enjoyed.

Great event!
Jan 9, 2023 6:53 AM

Sep 2013
Thanks for the event and your hard work.

Thank you @Goldasso for the recommendation. I watched it the same day I got the message. To be honest it wasn't my cup of tea, but I found it quite interesting.
Jan 9, 2023 7:01 AM
Aug 2021
@JexTexSSB Thanks a lot for the gift, honestly I havent had an anime with comedy of this caliber in a hot while. Your recommendation had put a huge smile on my face whenever i watch it, that every single time my face feels tired by the end of the episode. This present was phenomenal, and i hope you have a wonderful year <33
Jan 9, 2023 7:08 AM

Aug 2021
Thanks everyone for the effort! This was my first time joining an event like that.
but for some reason I have not received my badge.
any one can tell me why? or it just delayed?

Jan 9, 2023 7:15 AM

Jul 2016
This was my first anime-based Secret Santa ever (and first Secret Santa in general in a while) and man was it fun. Thanks to everyone who made it possible. I can tell it wasn't easy!
Jan 9, 2023 7:27 AM

Oct 2016
Big thanks to everyone who helped host this event. I enjoyed it a lot!
Jan 9, 2023 7:27 AM
Drako

Sep 2017
Hellooo! Thank you for this event. I enjoyed participating for the first time in an event from this community and I really appreciate the effort everyone had! Thank you also  @Jack_Gordens
Happy NEW YEAR!
DrakowaictJan 9, 2023 7:31 AM

HiiiiHiiii

Jan 9, 2023 7:29 AM
Hocus Pocus!🪄

Jul 2020
Joshhhp said:
@MickHeal | @damnshades | @Shinah
Thank you all for your gifs, still have to try your recommendations I seriously didn't have enough time for it, but I'll make sure to see them soon enough eventually so regardless of what I'll think I appreciate you tried ^^ have a nice day!

You're welcome! I hope you get the time to enjoy them. Hope you have a nice day as well.

Jan 9, 2023 7:30 AM

Dec 2009
Thanks, @ferrepls for the recommendations! I admit I haven't felt like watching anime these days - and that's why I have watched only the first four episodes of Heroines Run the Show, but it was a pleasant surprise... I thought it was the usual idol anime and wasn't very interested in it, but I was so wrong! I love the main characters, Hiyori is such a good girl, but most importantly, it doesn't feel like an anime about idols, but more an anime with idols. Yujiro and Aizo aren't relegated to that simple role, they are much more. And I really like that it isn't a romance as far as I have seen, just about friendship.
I'll surely watch The Deer King and Cyberpunk for the upcoming AWC!

And then I have to thank my Elf, and fellow Enstars player, @Dancho. Well, I liked all three of your recs, Saika is an interesting read, especially for someone like me who knows only the basics of Egyptian mythology, full of plot twists and unexpected turns. I really liked the character, but I really really really wish it was longer. The only real downside is that it is too short!
My right older brother is very interesting, from start to finish, I really didn't had the time to read it, but I couldn't stop! I predicted the whereabouts of the brother since the first chapter, but it was entertaining seeing how the manga got there and the consequences. The only thing that didn't suit me is the brother thing in the ending, like... it was a little disturbing.
And finally, Barbarities is Suzuki Tsuta at her finest. The main couple is really cute (even the side ones), but I liked even more how the manga tackles the court intrigues, espionage, the hereditary axis in royal families and its problems, etc... And I just love how one of the MC is 3/4 of the time is with the wig and fake beard, lol.
In conclusion, thank you for introducing me to three manga that otherwise I may never have read.

And thanks to MAL's staff for running this event. It was my first time participating and it was more fun than I expected.
Jan 9, 2023 7:42 AM
Hocus Pocus!🪄

Jul 2020
saNNNkofa said:

They verify your gift(s) and deem if you did your work properly before handing out the badge. All this work is done manually for each and everyone. If you think you did well, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it will arrive before you know it. Just give it some time. ^_^
Jan 9, 2023 7:45 AM
Sep 2020
Hi! I would like to thank everyone involved in making this event happen. It's my first time so I feel like I may have given the admins a hard time and I apologize for the turmoil. Thanks for the hard work! You guys were amazing!

About my gift:
Thank you so much, @BumbleBeez! I loved my gifts! <3 I'll read them all and I'm sure I'll like them all. I hope you had a good Christmas and I wish you a great new year!
Jan 9, 2023 7:48 AM
Feb 2019
Thanks for the great recommendation @Thorgaran, was planning to watch the first episode and ended up binging it in 1 sitting :)
Also thanks to the organizers for putting this together!
Jan 9, 2023 7:52 AM

Nov 2013
woooh! thanks elves!

@Cetvrti_Magi hope the profile picture is okay for you c:
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 9, 2023 8:01 AM
Lily Flower

Dec 2020
This was a fun event, was even more fun than I thought it would be when I signed up~.

Firstly, thank you very much to all the elves for working so hard on the event over the past several weeks - I know from the Discord how much hard work it was, but it went incredibly smoothly. There's sadly probably too many elves to @ here, I don't want to accidentally spam, but I hope you know how much everyone appreciated your hard work <3 . 

And secondly, I want to thank my secret santas for the lovely anime & manga recommendations I received too. 

@doctor_funkbeat, thank you very much for the anime recs! Gakkougurashi! was really good, I enjoyed it a lot, the last few episodes especially - it was a nice mixture of Horror and Slice of Life, something I didn't expect would be as good as it was.

I'm only 3 episodes into Do It Yourself!! so far but it's been a nice cute CGDCT, it's a nice rec. I think I'll enjoy it a lot~.

And thank you very much for the manga rec @BelovedJazzy! Yagate Kimi ni Naru is so sweet and cute and romantic, I'm enjoying it a lot as well. The character depth in particular is pretty impressive, and I'm finding myself caring about all of the characters a lot. I've still got many chapters to go, but I'm really looking forward to them. It might end up being my first manga 10 if it keeps up being such a lovely manga~.

---

I'm not really sure how to end this message, so I'll just say belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone, and thanks again to everyone who made the event so fun! See you all in December for 2023!

Jan 9, 2023 8:07 AM
Couch Potato

May 2016
Thank you @Phanuel for the amazing manga recommendations! I finished Rojica to Rakkasei in a day. It was just as you said - not everything was exactly how it seemed. I really liked it and will give your other recommendations a try soon. Thank you very much and hope you have a fantastic 2023!

And to the organizers of the event - thank you for all the hard work and the fun event.
Jan 9, 2023 8:11 AM

Mar 2010
that was so much fun, ty for the event everyone!
Feel free to join the Bocchi the Rock! club!
Jan 9, 2023 8:14 AM
𝕲𝖍𝖔𝖘𝖙

Apr 2020
I love this kind of event, even though it is very stressful getting all the gifts together and send out. I am looking forward to next Christmas.

A huge thank you to all the elfs and helpers!

”If there's any scrap metal
or parts you don't want,

I'll take them."

Jan 9, 2023 8:18 AM

Mar 2020
Thanks for the event !

This is the first time I’ve participated. It was fun to find an anime based on someone’s tastes.
I haven’t had time to look at my gift yet but thanks @Link___ I"ll get started asap.
Jan 9, 2023 8:22 AM

Jan 2017
A big THANK YOU to all the elves for their hard work! I couldn't begin to imagine all of the hours that had to go into this, almost like the real Santa's elves ;)

My recommendations were great. I got three and I've tried one of them, the main one, and I'm enjoying it so far. One of the recommendations for me was on my dropped list, but I am impressed that it was caught by the elves and was included only as a "bonus" recommendations. On the flip side, I recommended an anime for my recipient where the manga was on their list, it was caught by the elves, and I happily redid my recommendation. Therefore, I was VERY impressed by the elves' attention to detail! You have all earned a long vacation!
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» | OPEN | Best Profile Design (April 2024) VOTING

KarenShirotori - Apr 21

19 by Nonoa »»
4 hours ago

» Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Voting

Nate - Apr 22

15 by emprizzko »»
5 hours ago

» [CLOSED] Best Signature Design - April 2024 | Nominations

Nate - Apr 1

9 by Nate »»
Apr 22, 6:14 AM

» | CLOSED | Best Profile Design (April 2024) NOMINATIONS

KarenShirotori - Apr 1

8 by KarenShirotori »»
Apr 21, 4:05 AM

» Best Profile Design (January 2024) WINNER

KarenShirotori - Feb 4

7 by batslimeman »»
Apr 17, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.