Forum Settings
Forums
New
How often do you buy physical manga?
Jul 6, 2021 10:27 PM
Jul 2018
I know the majority of people read most of their manga online, but there's also people who exclusively read physical manga. What's your reasoning when deciding whether to read a manga physically or not?
Jul 6, 2021 11:11 PM

Mar 2018
I'd love to read all mangas physically, but I get too broke from buying them. I prefer reading them physically than looking at a digital screen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2021 12:47 AM

Mar 2021
a few times in a whole life lol

bought some bc its nice to have one
Jul 7, 2021 1:02 AM

Oct 2020
About once a month, but I stopped buying manga and just get light novels now
Jul 7, 2021 4:18 AM
Dec 2017
as often as i am able too but lately been in the mood for light novels.

Jul 7, 2021 4:45 AM

Apr 2021
As often as I can financially speaking because I definitely have the space. A different kind of satisfaction comes with admiring your physical collection I feel.
Jul 7, 2021 5:12 AM

Aug 2010
I don't have space anymore but I still order big portion of physical copies every month, both manga and LNs. I also have Kindle Unlimited so I can read at least something on my Kindle. I don't like reading on phone or PC, the only exception are digital arcs I get for review.
Jul 7, 2021 6:25 AM

Aug 2018
Depends on when I have the money for it
_______I like rocks__
Jul 7, 2021 7:45 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I only buy those manga series I know will be good. Since I have a small collection, maybe 1 or 2 books a month.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jul 7, 2021 8:34 AM

Mar 2019
I buy manga whenever i have money. Though, it's not like i often have money so i don't do it much for now.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Jul 7, 2021 11:55 PM
May 2019
A couple times a month. I try to have some restraint otherwise It could get out of hand very quick lol.
Jul 8, 2021 9:04 PM

Mar 2008
Whenever I do buy manga I only buy physical. The few digital mangas I purchased off of Amazon in past had a lower quality to them. It kinda put me off from buying digital. That and I prefer to have the manga in my hand and I like looking at it on my shelf :)
What you saw at the castle on that windy night ,and what you saw at the bridge last night .. how I smiled, never utter a word to anyone. If you dare speak .. I will find where you are .. And I will kill you. Kill you. I will rip you apart .. crush your bones And eat your flesh.. I will drink your blood. I will .. devour you.

Jul 8, 2021 9:36 PM

Jul 2020
Rarely. I’d say about a few times a year, because the more popular publishers would always cost more than the others, and the others can’t be always found. The majority of my manga library is online.
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

Is it normal

to have that many crushes?.

┕━━━━»•» 🍌 «•«━━━━┙
Jul 8, 2021 9:51 PM

Jan 2020
Whenever I'm able to. Collecting is something I enjoy

Jul 8, 2021 11:16 PM

Oct 2017
If I read a manga series online and enjoy it, I try to buy the physical volumes to help support the creator and such. And I just enjoy collecting the series' that I love
Jul 10, 2021 3:53 PM

Mar 2021
man I would love to read berserk physically but I still live with my Christian parents and if they find that lying around ill be in trouble. Buying berserk will be the first thing I do when I move out lol
Jul 10, 2021 5:38 PM

Apr 2020
Depends on the manga. If it's something short like SSR or Nausicaa, I'd probably buy physical copies of it.

beep boop bop pow
Jul 11, 2021 12:42 AM

Mar 2012
I have bought a few in the past I have no intentions of buying physical copies anymore, I just buy digital copies now, saves on shipping and also physical space.
Jul 11, 2021 12:18 PM

Jun 2019
If a manga I wanna read is at the library then I'll read it physically. If not, online. The only manga I consider buying is stuff I've already read or series I am very confident about, both of which are kinda rare.
Jul 11, 2021 12:34 PM
Feb 2018
I used to read manga online, now I avoid it for various reasons.
Now when I get the chance I buy them, I try to get manga that I know are good...usually every month.
Jul 11, 2021 3:43 PM

Feb 2021
i i only buy the physical copy of a manga for a serie i alredy finished that i really liked, for example i recently bought the first volume of steel ball run and i am going to finish collecting it, i pobably wont buy physical copies of other manga unless i complete that serie, even if i didn't like an arc of a manga enough to qualify i will still buy the volume in which the arc take place for avoiding missing a volume in my collection, i never read kuroko no basket but i'm planning on buying all the volumes someday because someone gave me the third volume as a gift but if i hate the serie i'm not going to buy it even if i am gifted a volume, probably i wont buy the volumes of a manga that has more than 50 volumes despite of how much i like it except if its one of my favourites because it would take too much money, but i usually don't buy a lot of manga and right now i only own two physical copies which are the first volume of jojo part seven steel ball run and the third volume of kuroko no basket
Jul 13, 2021 2:45 PM

Feb 2016
I try to buy 1 or 2 per month, now i am planning to get the first volume of kaguya love is war and chainsaw man.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Jul 13, 2021 9:35 PM

Mar 2016
I used to buy a 2-3 volume of Detective Conan every month when I was a kid.

Now I buy and read it online since it's more convenient, and sometimes the title I'm interested in is not available on the local publisher yet.
Jul 14, 2021 6:46 AM

Nov 2014
I buy pretty much all the manga I read unless there's something I really want to read that will never be translated. It's my way of supporting the industry and I find reading a physical book much more pleasant than reading on my computer or phone.

They take up space which gets annoying so I might try to sell some of them or throw them out.
Jul 14, 2021 6:50 AM

Sep 2020
i buy a lot of manga since we have a few bookstores near where i live that sell manga for cheap, so probably 1-3 times a month i buy manga, and probably about 6-7 volumes a month.
Jul 14, 2021 7:38 AM

Aug 2020
I only buy physical manga if I know I am going to enjoy reading it. I don't wanna waste my money on something I might not enjoy.

so sleepy...

did you need something?

Jul 14, 2021 10:13 AM

Mar 2021
i buy physical manga when it's not available digitally or at the library, or if it's cheaper than its digital counterpart. (i guess now would be a good time to mention that i actually pay for digital manga and only read scanlations as a last resort.)
Jul 14, 2021 8:24 PM

May 2012
All the time. Got infected pretty early on. Been reading and collecting since I was this --> . small.

France = Huge comic/manga culture

@Crow_Black

Heh, I can most likely do something like this.

My passion to collect video games isn't that big in comparison, but I mostly try to get every JRPG/Action-Adventure or overall exotic titles of note and beyond I can get. It is just hard to manage investing the necessary time to play most of them, though. Especially if you mainly play the former for its battle mechanics than story. Quite time-consuming, to say the least. :/

crescensXGJul 14, 2021 9:38 PM
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Jul 14, 2021 8:36 PM
Dec 2017
crescensXG said:
All the time. Got infected pretty early on. Been reading and collecting since I was this --> . small.

France = Huge comic/manga culture

You must have quite the collection of manga as you do in video games huh?

@CrescensXG ah interesting! and i can imagine the type of jrpgs and other action games that you played are ones that i still need to get around to playing like skies of arcadia for example. And huge big ups to you as well for collecting games you want to play instead of just following whatever trend there is in gaming! :)

(Off topic Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk Room 215 would have been quite big hits today given how story oriented games are more popular than they were back in the 2000s period since it was mostly gameplay oriented games that were pretty popular and god i just really have such a thing for 2000s nintendo games since there's so much obscure stuff that looks really cool to try out!)
Disapeared_GhostJul 14, 2021 9:46 PM

Jul 14, 2021 11:15 PM

Mar 2020
Where do you guys buy physical manga?
Ramen, Soumen, Reimen, Tsukemen. You have no choice, I just cook.
Jul 14, 2021 11:37 PM

May 2012

• BDfugue
  • Comic/book stores
  • On the publisher's website
  • Off of Amazon
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Jul 15, 2021 4:23 AM

Apr 2017
depend on what manga series i like & my wallet lol
If there's really that many people in the world, then there had to be someone who wasn't ordinary. There had to be someone who was living an interesting life. There just had to be. Why wasn't I that person? -Suzumiya Haruhi
Jul 15, 2021 1:23 PM

Dec 2020
I think I've bought more than one volume from April up to this month
I'm planning to pre-order the Quintessential Quintuplets volume 1-7 box-set, after I get payed

𝐸𝓁 𝒫𝓈𝓎 𝒞𝑜𝓃𝑔𝓇𝑜𝑜
Jul 15, 2021 1:25 PM

Dec 2020
Aoi-Ren said:

WHSmith, Forbidden Planet, Amazon, Waterstones

𝐸𝓁 𝒫𝓈𝓎 𝒞𝑜𝓃𝑔𝓇𝑜𝑜
Jul 16, 2021 12:39 AM
Mar 2016
I get around 30+ volumes every month currently
Jul 16, 2021 1:50 AM

Aug 2020
I'm just buying when i got free time to spare or the series gets so interesting so i collecting them

Jul 31, 2021 4:31 AM

Jun 2020
I just buy specific volumes that I like reading
Jul 31, 2021 1:22 PM

Jul 2021
Aoi-Ren said:

I usually buy from RightStuf or amazon. Occasionally I will buy from the book store at the mall.

I personally prefer to buy physical copies of manga, I find I enjoy them more compared to reading on my phone. I will usually buy 6-7 volumes every 2-3 months, I try to wait till there are several things I want to buy at once unless I want to read a certain volume asap.

I go through cycles of reading manga though, so right now for example I have about 10 volumes sitting on my shelf I need to read, that have collected over the last few times I ordered stuff.
Jul 31, 2021 8:36 PM

Nov 2020
It’s depends.
If there something cheap on FB Marketplace I’ll buy it but that could be as long as 3 days to like 2 months.
I’d also buy when a volume of chainsaw man become available
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Jul 31, 2021 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
I usualy stash a few release for a bit and get a big haul of completely random stuff depending on release dates. Sometimes there's a couple gap months between orders because of being caught up with release. Sometime I'll get only a couple if there's something I REALLY want and there's nothing else for a while.
Aug 4, 2021 12:26 AM

Aug 2020
I sometimes buy random volumes or the first few in a new series that I'm starting

「 𝕂𝕖𝕪 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕙𝕚𝕕𝕖𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕤 𝕠𝕗 𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕜𝕟𝕖𝕤𝕤, 𝕤𝕙𝕠𝕨 𝕞𝕖 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕥𝕣𝕦𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕞 」

Aug 6, 2021 3:17 AM
Sep 2020
I buy 1 or 2 volumes in a month. Most of them are random volumes from the arcs I like.
Currently I have 26 volumes totally.
Aug 6, 2021 6:51 AM

May 2021
One a month, but sometimes I get ahead of myself and start collecting without even knowing

Aug 7, 2021 8:20 PM
Sep 2020
I rather real the physical copy. My dyslexia has made it hard for me to find something interesting and so when I read manga physically I have a higher chance of actually reading it.

I have Black Lagoon volume 10 on google books read half and dropped it. Bought the book and read the whole try from start to finish.
Aug 7, 2021 10:51 PM

Oct 2020
Haven't read a lot so recently I'm trying to buy them physically. Found a Nisekoi set box and bought it since it's way more cheaper than actually buying the 25 volumes. Also bought the Horimiya, Boarding School Juliet, Spy x Family and The way of the Househusband volumes. They're expensive af but is way better reading them in a book than in a screen. It's so nice having them physically.

Aug 8, 2021 7:20 AM

Jun 2014
Rarely.

A volume of manga is generally around $16 and up where I live, and I can't just can't afford it. Also, there's no such thing as "book stores" or "second hand stores" where I live, so I can't get used manga.

More topics from this board

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
7 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

379 by LyLord »»
10 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
11 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Apr 25, 11:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.