Forum Settings
Forums

'Muv-Luv Alternative' Announces Main Staff, Cast, Second Promo

New
May 1, 2021 11:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The official website for the television anime adaptation of âge's Muv-Luv Alternative visual novel revealed on Saturday the main staff, cast, a key visual (pictured), and a second promotional video. The anime series is scheduled to air on Fuji TV's +ultra programming block in October 2021.

Cast
Takeru Shirogane: Kouichi Kamiki (Chihayafuru 3)
Sumika Kagami: Tomori Kusunoki (Wonder Egg Priority)
Meiya Mitsurugi: Karin Nanami (Taboo Tattoo)

Staff
Director: Yukio Nishimoto (Ginga Tetsudou Monogatari)
Series Composition: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri)
Character Design: Takuya Tani (Koukaku no Pandora)
Music: Evan Call (Schwarzesmarken)
Studio: Flagship Line, Yumeta Company, Graphinica

âge released the original Muv-Luv visual novel on Windows in February 2003, followed by Muv-Luv Alternative in February 2006. The franchise received manga adaptations, multiple spin-off light novels, and two spin-off anime adaptations.

PV 2

Source: animate Times
VindstotAug 25, 2021 2:50 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 1, 2021 11:21 AM

Sep 2020
That's pretty kino. Unfortunately, I doubt that the animation quality will make up for how badly they will butcher the story.

ALSO THEY REMOVED SUMIKA'S RIBBON AND NERFED HER AHOGE HOW DARE THEY!!!
May 1, 2021 11:22 AM

Aug 2020
Graphinica once again showing how good they are with CG . the scenes look absolutely fantastic . i have heard the novel is very good , so hopefully they adapt it well .
we have been getting a lot of CG anime recently . i guess ex arm really is an insipiration for all .... what a legend of the industry .

and what the fuck is wrong with the author's page ? thought my pc crashed or something .
May 1, 2021 11:28 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
TweedleDane said:
Graphinica once again showing how good they are with CG . the scenes look absolutely fantastic . i have heard the novel is very good , so hopefully they adapt it well .
we have been getting a lot of CG anime recently . i guess ex arm really is an insipiration for all .... what a legend of the industry .

and what the fuck is wrong with the author's page ? thought my pc crashed or something .
Its a user who decided to ruin the entire page with one comment 12 hours ago, we'll try to get rid of it as soon as we can.

May 1, 2021 11:32 AM

Oct 2010
I wanted to see more of the characters but they only showed some random mecha battles. Sad that the VN voices won't be in the anime, I got used to Meiya's annoying "sonata"
May 1, 2021 11:44 AM

Apr 2012
How popular is this franchise? It seems to me that I hear more news about this remake than about any interest in it.
May 1, 2021 11:48 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
How popular is this franchise? It seems to me that I hear more news about this remake than about any interest in it.
pretty popular and known as one of the best VNs of all time (arguably even the best for many people)
May 1, 2021 11:52 AM

Apr 2012
GangstaAkagi said:
RobertBobert said:
pretty popular and known as one of the best VNs of all time (arguably even the best for many people)

I love the old-fashioned approach to mecha, but as a fan of this series, when it was an agnsty romantic title, I find it hard to accept that at some point it became an agnsty mecha.
May 1, 2021 12:03 PM

Mar 2021
It's one of the best visual novels ever made and my favourite, but like most visual novels that get anime adaptations, It'll be a trainwreck. Still, I hope they include original OST from visual novel, and to see iconic scenes animated such as Storm Vanguard and CHOMP.
May 1, 2021 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
TweedleDane said:
RobertBobert said:
i think it has decent popularity . it was trending on twitter with around 5-7k tweets when the anime was announced . its quite old so i dunno how the fandom is doing now , but i have seen it being talked about in the manga community . also gave birth to a lot of memes .
i think isayama saying that his work is sort of inspired by muvluv alternative added a bit to its popularity as well.

what i want to know is , it says that this a sequel to "muv luv unlimited" on mal . so is it okay for me to go into this as a newbie ?

Isayama? The author of the titans? Quite unexpected news. Well, as I said, I was a fan of the original VN where all the characters were young adults in an agnsty love triangle. Therefore, I am constantly confused that in the future it became mecha. Maybe I should watch the old anime and its spin-offs to make things easier to understand?
May 1, 2021 12:08 PM

Apr 2012
VanishingKira said:
RobertBobert said:
It's the highest rated VN of all time on VNDB.
https://vndb.org/v?f=&o=d&s=rating
Rated higher than other extremely well known/acclaimed VNs, such as Steins;Gate, Higurashi, Umineko, Clannad, Fate Stay Night, Grisaia no Kajitsu etc...

And this is still not translated into my language, when all the other titles mentioned were already somehow read by me in Russian, lol. Well, if it's nostalgic and edgy enough (I'm too much of a Key raised), then I don't mind giving it a try.
May 1, 2021 12:10 PM

Sep 2020
RobertBobert said:
TweedleDane said:
i think it has decent popularity . it was trending on twitter with around 5-7k tweets when the anime was announced . its quite old so i dunno how the fandom is doing now , but i have seen it being talked about in the manga community . also gave birth to a lot of memes .
i think isayama saying that his work is sort of inspired by muvluv alternative added a bit to its popularity as well.

what i want to know is , it says that this a sequel to "muv luv unlimited" on mal . so is it okay for me to go into this as a newbie ?

Isayama? The author of the titans? Quite unexpected news. Well, as I said, I was a fan of the original VN where all the characters were young adults in an agnsty love triangle. Therefore, I am constantly confused that in the future it became mecha. Maybe I should watch the old anime and its spin-offs to make things easier to understand?
Wait, if you’ve read the OG Muv-Luv, then you should have already known that there was mecha since the second half of Muv-Luv was a mecha in the form of Unlimited. Alternative ties up many loose ends in the series, so don’t watch the other spin-offs as that will make things more confusing
May 1, 2021 12:19 PM

Sep 2020
TweedleDane said:
RobertBobert said:

It’s supposedly advertised to be newbie friendly, but I wouldn’t hold my breath since this has happened twice before where the anime turned out badly (Higurashi Gou and Fate/Extra Last Encore). If you have lots of time on your hands, then you should read the Muv-Luv VNs starting with the original one since Alternative adapts the 3rd Act of the series, completely removing the first 2 parts in the OG VN.
May 1, 2021 12:19 PM

Jul 2013
Recently, I watched Schwarzesmarken, not knowing it is in the universe of Muh-Luv. I might check this out. (Also, knowing that Isayama is a fan is kinda increasing my interest.)
May 1, 2021 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
ErenBestBoi said:
RobertBobert said:

Wait, if you’ve read the OG Muv-Luv, then you should have already known that there was mecha since the second half of Muv-Luv was a mecha in the form of Unlimited. Alternative ties up many loose ends in the series, so don’t watch the other spin-offs as that will make things more confusing

I'm talking about this https://vndb.org/v94, or rather about its anime adaptation. It was one of the first anime licensed in Russia, so it was one of the first anime for many anime fans in my country.
May 1, 2021 12:24 PM

Oct 2010
queenhinata said:
Recently, I watched Schwarzesmarken, not knowing it is in the universe of Muh-Luv. I might check this out. (Also, knowing that Isayama is a fan is kinda increasing my interest.)

Isayama was such a big fan that he adapted the training scene 1:1 with dialogues and all (from Unlimited), you remember that scene with Eren and Annie
May 1, 2021 12:25 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
RobertBobert said:
ErenBestBoi said:

I'm talking about this https://vndb.org/v94, or rather about its anime adaptation. It was one of the first anime licensed in Russia, so it was one of the first anime for many anime fans in my country.
i.... dont think its a part of Muv-Luv at all

May 1, 2021 12:29 PM
Dec 2007
This could be great if they give it the episode count it deserves. Anything less than 50 episodes and it probably wont be able to properly tell the story. They need to find a way to get the Muv-Luv/Muv Luv Unlimted stuff in there or else it wont have any impact.

RobertBobert said:
It's very popular, but the VN is 15 years old.

The makers seem to be making a big push with the franchise, with a remake of the Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien visul novel and a a Sequel to the Muv-Luv Alternative Vn. My guess is that this is why its getting an anime after all this time.
May 1, 2021 12:30 PM

Sep 2020
RobertBobert said:
ErenBestBoi said:

Ahhhh, that’s the spin-off of Muv-Luv. That explains why you’re confused about why there are mechas now. You should read the OG Muv-Luv VN as well, though I don’t know if there is a Russian translation of it. From what I can tell, the Muv-Luv is more lighthearted that Rumbling Hearts (well, Muv-Luv Extra mainly).
May 1, 2021 12:31 PM

Sep 2020
DatRandomDude said:
RobertBobert said:

Nah, it is apart of Muv-Luv, even if it doesn’t look like it.

Btw, I think the link is broken. Here is the link:
https://vndb.org/v94
May 1, 2021 12:34 PM

Apr 2012
DatRandomDude said:
RobertBobert said:

ErenBestBoi said:
RobertBobert said:

Ahhhh, that’s the spin-off of Muv-Luv. That explains why you’re confused about why there are mechas now. You should read the OG Muv-Luv VN as well, though I don’t know if there is a Russian translation of it. From what I can tell, the Muv-Luv is more lighthearted that Rumbling Hearts (well, Muv-Luv Extra mainly).

Well, I read that Rumbling Hearts was much earlier and originally Muv-Luv appeared as an experimental development of this series. Like that VN about the city of twins, which has both a themed harem and a silly moe detective action.
May 1, 2021 12:35 PM
Dec 2007
ErenBestBoi said:
DatRandomDude said:

ErenBestBoi said:
RobertBobert said:

It's actually the other way around, Muv-Luv is a spin off of Rumbling Hears/Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. They actually share quite a few characters; with the Akane Maniax game/OVA being the bridge between Muv-Luv and KimiNozu
May 1, 2021 12:40 PM

Sep 2020
RobertBobert said:
DatRandomDude said:

ErenBestBoi said:

Well, I read that Rumbling Hearts was much earlier and originally Muv-Luv appeared as an experimental development of this series. Like that VN about the city of twins, which has both a themed harem and a silly moe detective action.

GGcc78 said:
ErenBestBoi said:

ErenBestBoi said:

It's actually the other way around, Muv-Luv is a spin off of Rumbling Hears/Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. They actually share quite a few characters with the Akane Maniax game/OVA being the bridge between Muv-Luv and KimiNozu
Really? Huh. I guess I learned something new today. I did know that Akane Maniax connected Muv-Luv and Rumbling Hearts together, but I didn’t know Rumbling Hearts came out first. Interesting.

Side-note: Akane Maniax was an acid trip lol.
May 1, 2021 12:49 PM

Apr 2012
ErenBestBoi said:
RobertBobert said:

GGcc78 said:

It's actually the other way around, Muv-Luv is a spin off of Rumbling Hears/Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. They actually share quite a few characters with the Akane Maniax game/OVA being the bridge between Muv-Luv and KimiNozu
Really? Huh. I guess I learned something new today. I did know that Akane Maniax connected Muv-Luv and Rumbling Hearts together, but I didn’t know Rumbling Hearts came out first. Interesting.

This is why Muv-Luv was a difficult experience for me, because I saw "Rumbling Hears with mecha". But my friends constantly advised me Schwarzesmarken as "an edgy show to my taste".

GGcc78 said:
This could be great if they give it the episode count it deserves. Anything less than 50 episodes and it probably wont be able to properly tell the story. They need to find a way to get the Muv-Luv/Muv Luv Unlimted stuff in there or else it wont have any impact.

RobertBobert said:
It's very popular, but the VN is 15 years old.

The makers seem to be making a big push with the franchise, with a remake of the Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien visul novel and a a Sequel to the Muv-Luv Alternative Vn. My guess is that this is why its getting an anime after all this time.

I'm all for it, the words "VN adaptation" always motivate me very strongly.
May 1, 2021 12:51 PM

Oct 2007
They skip the first two routes of the VN with this one (Muv-Luv is a trilogy and all of them matter to get the whole thing).

So I rather advice all to play the VN, that being Muv-Luv (including Ultimate) and then Alternative.

They are on Steam, so easily accessible.

It's worth your time, not kidding here.
May 1, 2021 3:22 PM

Oct 2017
The production looks good but who knows how the adaptation will be thou.
May 1, 2021 4:45 PM

Jun 2014
This is the second promotional trailer and they are still only showing mecha and no characters... this is suspicious.

There's also Sumika in the promotional artwork which is weird... at the same time how are they going to make new viewer care about Sumika if they are going to jump straight to alternative? I guess they will either use flashback or adapt part of extra/unlimited. Or woe be upon us and they mix the 3 VN to makes an anime original route à la Rewrite.

In any case I'm not looking forward to it. VN adaptation are a big coinflip and I prefer extra more than alternative. I still hope this adaptation does justice to the fan because no VN adaptation deserves to be trashed.
May 1, 2021 5:07 PM

Feb 2015
>VN
>receives anime adaptation

uhhh this is fairly interesting, let's see how many ppl will hate this one.
May 1, 2021 5:48 PM

Feb 2016
ErenBestBoi said:
RobertBobert said:

GGcc78 said:

Yeah the funny thing is Muv Luv is the spin off sequel(in a way) to Rumbling Hearts lol. Which explains why Akane is in it and the two heroines in Alternative
May 1, 2021 7:34 PM
Oct 2020
This is going to be one of those shitty adaptations. Damn shame really.
May 1, 2021 8:35 PM

Mar 2014
They will skip Extra and Unlimited parts?
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
May 1, 2021 8:45 PM

Jan 2009
Graphinica is very good with 3DCG so i do not mind if even the human characters are 3DCG too
May 1, 2021 8:54 PM

Dec 2014
imma fap to this probably
May 2, 2021 2:17 AM

Oct 2015
3D's just here to stay huh? Damn man.
May 2, 2021 2:53 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i better see some sexy skin tight outfits on the girls and some sexy camera angles like in Total Eclipse<333
May 2, 2021 12:40 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
The character designs in the anime already look better than the designs in the visual novel (Ugly ass artstyle, which is why I'll never touch the series)
May 2, 2021 9:09 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
Muv-Luv? Whoa fuck, I haven't heard of that name in a long time. Awesome.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2021 12:36 AM

Sep 2014
well thats a surprise, 2021 is truly weird like that
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 3, 2021 8:13 AM

Mar 2018
Seeing as I recieved this and as someone who already finished muv-luv Extra-Unlimited + Alternative, I hope:

1) They animate the full VN (No I mean not leave out important parts of the VN)
2) Make it less fan servicey (Not that I mind of course)
3) Don't leave the story unfinished (I'm looking at you Total Eclipse !! since Total Eclipse continues the story after the anime and the LN, even the VN are not translated so while I had to spoil myself but looking at the muv-luv fandom, I'm still unsatisfied with how they didn't continue the story because it only gets interesting after Ep 24)
4) MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT EVEN MENTION "that scene", I regret the day I had to see it (Had to drop the VN temporary).
Thomas_EriksenMay 3, 2021 8:16 AM
May 3, 2021 10:10 AM

Aug 2015
This is going to be a disaster and we all know it. I mean, if studios with actually good VN adaptations (like White Fox and ufotable) struggled to make "The perfect adaptation" I can´t imagine what the Alternative elitists will say. There´s also the fact that as far as I remember there´s not a good Mu-luv anime to date, so, even if the original and Alternative are not that related to some people, it gives context.

Thomas_Eriksen said:

4) MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT EVEN MENTION "that scene", I regret the day I had to see it (Had to drop the VN temporary).

You mean the good ol´ Chomp?
May 3, 2021 11:06 AM

Sep 2020
Thomas_Eriksen said:

That scene was one of the best parts of the VN though, and the aftermath was even more tragic. That single scene was what made MLA one of the best VNs ever written, so of course people will talk about it a lot.

Though, I'm pretty sure that they will censor that scene ridiculously hard in the anime since I doubt that they would even be able to show the OG CG in the VN on TV lol.
May 3, 2021 1:29 PM

Mar 2018
ErenBestBoi said:
Thomas_Eriksen said:

That scene was one of the best parts of the VN though, and the aftermath was even more tragic. That single scene was what made MLA one of the best VNs ever written, so of course people will talk about it a lot.

Though, I'm pretty sure that they will censor that scene ridiculously hard in the anime since I doubt that they would even be able to show the OG CG in the VN on TV lol.

I get what you mean since it added depth to the story, but I mean the first +18 scene, it is totally tragic but I wish I sip some unsee juice.

Well all in all, since budget is being put for an MLA anime, I have a feeling it might adapt the manga tho, we'll have to wait and see
May 19, 2021 8:12 AM

Jul 2016
Thomas_Eriksen said:

3) Don't leave the story unfinished (I'm looking at you Total Eclipse !! since Total Eclipse continues the story after the anime and the LN, even the VN are not translated so while I had to spoil myself but looking at the muv-luv fandom, I'm still unsatisfied with how they didn't continue the story because it only gets interesting after Ep 24)

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Total Eclipse is an immediate prequel to Alternative. Timing-wise, Alternative starts just a few weeks after Total Eclipse ends, so the story continues directly from there (though the storytelling switches from an American to a Japanese point-of-view).
May 19, 2021 8:21 AM

Mar 2018
seeker_moc said:
Thomas_Eriksen said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Total Eclipse is an immediate prequel to Alternative. Timing-wise, Alternative starts just a few weeks after Total Eclipse ends, so the story continues directly from there (though the storytelling switches from an American to a Japanese point-of-view).

I mean the anime, it hasn't even reached half-way through the Total Eclipse story, I know it's a prequel to Alternative but the LN and VN continues where the anime left off.

Thomas_EriksenMay 19, 2021 8:25 AM

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
4 hours ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.