Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 27, 2020 5:19 AM
Aug 2018
This movie was really good and the ending was really satisfying, couldn't ask for anything more❤️
Dec 27, 2020 6:26 AM
Nov 2019
Masterpiece!
Totally loved it.
Won't spoil it for anyone...it was worth the wait.
Dec 27, 2020 7:00 PM
Mar 2016
The movie was so good that it's gives me the most important answers that anime series left me confused which are :

Is Gilbert alive

Is their love romance or not

And thank God I got the answer to that in a best way that I could imagine... great journey with the Violet that end in the best way

10/10
Dec 27, 2020 10:04 PM
Dec 2019
Fantastic movie top 4 anime that can make you cry regardleass of age with Air, Angel Beats and Clannad. I would have liked to see more than just a reunion between them at the end. Those that read the novel did they get married, have kids, did they live on the island there whole life is it any diffrent? can someone spoil who read it
Dec 29, 2020 2:01 PM

Dec 2018
It was amazing, the way Kyoani executed the story was just beautiful. I'm very satisfied with the ending, I think the ending was perfect. I didn't expect it to be this giant of an emotional rollercoaster ride but it really was one. I absolutely loved it.
Jan 4, 2021 2:45 PM

Dec 2016
Omg, the feels!! ;A; I shed a tear once again (my throat felt tight it hurts). Violet Evergarden is so good at expressing emotions and that is one of the reasons why this anime is so good, and personally one of my favourites of all time.

I couldn't believe Gilbert was alive all this time and still pretends he's dead without contacting anyone he knows. That hurt deep even for Violet who always admired him and wants to always be by his side. I want to believe they had kids, even if it's still a mystery ;-; This movie was spectacular and I couldn't expect more of KyoAni. Thank you! <3 I'm stuck between score 9 or 10, because it's so perfect TT^TT
PurpleGirl203Jan 4, 2021 2:49 PM

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 10, 2021 11:28 PM

Jan 2010
First. I love you KyoAni!

Second. Please, for every good anime in the world, let this be the end.

Maybe it´s just me that missed the note when the series started, saying that this would not be a novel adaptation, but instead it would be a original take(don´t know if it was a author idea or who it was). But, i guess, my fault, i taught that maybe it would get back on track with the movie, but no.

Don´t get me wrong, it´s not a bad movie, far from it. But i cannot stop watching it without the novel glasses and that means that for most of the movie i just thought "But why?".

So, i give it a 7/10, totally understanding that for someone who haven´t read the novel or can take off the "glasses" it would be an 8 or 9 at least.

P.S: I miss you, Little Lux. ;_;
RamaTheStrandedOtaku

Nier and MGS fan.
Feb 27, 2021 6:46 AM
Jul 2013
Yudith just carried the whole movie, the gilbert-violet drama is like a third rate soap opera (will be better if violet didn't jump out of the boat to reunite with gilbert or gilbert didn't need to chase her at all)
Mar 6, 2021 7:51 AM

Apr 2020
This movie was so good!

From the beginning of the movie I've been crying, because the scene when a letter is given to a girl every her birthday, it reminds me of episode 10.

At Yurith's death, I cried again, especially when Yurith's parents read a letter from Yurith.

So Gilbert is still alive? he's on another island (I forgot the name of the island lol).

When Violet jumped off the ship, I got goosebumps, and finally Violet met Gilbert again, it made me really happy!

So the stamp of the island is a picture of Violet ?! i wanna have that stamp lol.

I cry too much at the cinema lol.

Overall 9/10 .
Mar 11, 2021 7:06 AM

May 2020
KyoAni did a great job (Haven't watch the prequel) and I went to watched this in theatre an hours ago. Romantic love story about love letter. Not bad , some of part is too exaggerated. Good story line.
Mar 26, 2021 2:19 AM

May 2018
I almost sleep in the cinema. The graphic amazingly good! 8/10.

Don't forget to watch until the end of credit.
Mar 30, 2021 7:53 PM
Dec 2007
Couldn't ask for more out of the movie. Great animation, great characters and a great story. So glad I got to catch it in theaters. It's a shame there wont be any more but it really was a fitting ending. It's also great seeing some new KyoAni for the first time in over a year.
Mar 30, 2021 8:06 PM

Nov 2008
Lol you could hear the whole theater sniffling. Yurith's letters really got to us. xD ;_;

Gorgeous movie....though I wanted to punch Gilbert TOO...I am satisfied with the ending....but I might like to read the novels too...

Mar 30, 2021 8:53 PM

Aug 2019
hands down my favorite movie of all time now, easy 10/10
now I’m going to probably rewatch the series and movie together once this movie releases on blu ray, feel bad for those that somehow disliked the way this film developed Violet and Gilbert’s relationship but it’s only inevitable people have differing opinions
snowykevinMar 30, 2021 9:21 PM
Mar 30, 2021 9:25 PM

Apr 2019
snowykevin said:
now I’m going to probably rewatch the series and movie together once this movie releases on blu ray, feel bad for those that somehow disliked the way this film developed Violet and Gilbert’s relationship but it’s only inevitable people have differing opinions

Ehh I gotta say the movie was alright, they reused most scenes from the series to try and push the feelings more so it kinda felt bland and cringe by the end.
Mar 30, 2021 9:32 PM

Aug 2019
Outfrootz said:
snowykevin said:

Ehh I gotta say the movie was alright, they reused most scenes from the series to try and push the feelings more so it kinda felt bland and cringe by the end.

well I guess the way you look at those scenes depends on when you watched the series, since for me I watched the show a year or so ago so those flashbacks just helped me connect the pieces together that I had forgotten; but I could see it coming off as forced for those that have those scenes still lingering on their mind
Mar 30, 2021 10:44 PM

Sep 2020
I really enjoyed this movie, I cried like a bitch a few times (the main three being when they read that kids letters, that one girl thanked her parents in a letter, and seeing Violet on a stamp).

This movie had stunning visuals, as is usual for Violet Evergarden, and the sound/music was great too.

My one criticism of the movie is that I just wish we could have seen more of Gilbert and Violet together. I felt like that was what the whole series was leading up to, Violet learning what everything Gilbert said meant and being able to share that with him. Their moments together were nice but I felt like there could have or should have been more.

In the end a beautiful fantastic movie that made me cry like a bitch.

Stuffed_goatMar 30, 2021 10:57 PM

Mar 31, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2018
The only issue I had with the film was how ham-fisted and on the nose Gilbert’s reasoning for leaving Violet was. It suffered with the show-don’t-tell syndrome, where Gilbert explains why he left Violet, but we the audience was not presented enough to justify his reason. We were made to assume his position without the film fully exploring the extent of his regret. As a result, I felt the film’s emotional scenes did not have enough impact. It feels out of nowhere.

It’s a shame too, because everything else worked wonderfully. The two subplots excellently complements the main plot. The plot that took place in the future shows the extent of Violet’s actions. The plot with the sick kid, though forced on the surface, was, in closer examination, a great tie back to Violet’s longing for the major. He represents the ramifications of not going what you desire. The regret you have and the pain you cause to others by staying complacent will be far worst than confronting the issue head-on, even if both parties may not like it at first. It’s about taking opportunities while you still can, lest you want death to be your calling to fix broken wounds.

The world-building in the beginning caught us to speed in where we are in relation to the series. The amount that has changed is too many to list (e.g. technology and the characters), but the way KyoAni eases the audience into this new world really made it smooth and enjoyable for me.

The confrontations with Violet and Gilbert are highlights of the films to be sure. The voice acting at the final scene was superb. Her struggle to let out the series’ signature line made the scene so captivating and jaw-dropping. The emotions conveyed in her struggle and silence is nothing short of incredible, and I salute the film for presenting it in such an amazing way.

I can go on and on with the film’s themes, character relationship, and other minute tidbits that really made this film great, but, with those said, I feel the overall film is stunted with the criticism I mentioned in the beginning. I could not get as emotionally invested because I felt Gilbert’s rationale was underdeveloped, in-your-face, and handed-to. I wished the film gave us more justification so I can empathize with Gilbert. He felt unreasonably cold at times. What made Violet Evergarden a masterpiece was its emotional complexity, so having this half-assed silver platter dumbed the experience for me and definitely made my viewership worst. If KyoAni spent a little more time justifying Gilbert’s stayed departure, then I would, no doubt, gave this a prestigious score.

For now, it sits in a humble 8/10. Everything was amazing, but I felt the film lacked an extra touch that severely affected its watchability.
Sticky_RiceMar 31, 2021 12:16 AM
Mar 31, 2021 12:07 PM

Oct 2018
Sticky_Rice said:
The only issue I had with the film was how ham-fisted and on the nose Gilbert’s reasoning for leaving Violet was. It suffered with the show-don’t-tell syndrome, where Gilbert explains why he left Violet, but we the audience was not presented enough to justify his reason. We were made to assume his position without the film fully exploring the extent of his regret. As a result, I felt the film’s emotional scenes did not have enough impact. It feels out of nowhere.

I really don't get this considering both the movie and the anime thrust the reasoning directly in front of your face for at least an hour of flashbacks. And the reasoning is multilayered as well, there isn't just a single reason why gilbert left violet.
Mar 31, 2021 12:37 PM

Aug 2018
Lunar_Skies said:
Sticky_Rice said:

I really don't get this considering both the movie and the anime thrust the reasoning directly in front of your face for at least an hour of flashbacks. And the reasoning is multilayered as well, there isn't just a single reason why gilbert left violet.

I felt the film didn’t do enough to show why he wanted to leave Violet. The flashbacks, to me, felt jarring because, although it tells us why he feels wrong for being Violet’s caretaker, it lacked a how. How did he end up with those feelings? The show sets the flashbacks to Violet’s perspective and, with her view, it’s understandable she holds him in a greater light and is why she looks up to him and puts herself down. It would’ve been cool to see the movie do more in showing how torn Gilbert was in being the caretaker with the same scenes in the anime but taken into his point of view. It would’ve sufficed in justifying his breakaway and made the emotional scenes better, but the fact the flashbacks shown not only didn’t do enough of it but straight up use scenes where Gilbert’s actions clearly impacted her for the good, I find it hard to believe that he feels that way to Violet. That’s why I scratch my head a little for Gilbert’s justification because it does not do enough to show the audience his view of the situation, instead telling us why he feels that way and leaving it at that.

It’s very frustrating to me because it didn’t need much to remedy these issues. All the film needed was inserting 2-3 scenes in the existing film showing us how psychologically torn he was training Violet to become a killer and his regret of not seeing her through a normal life. That’s it. Could let the film remain as it is and it would’ve worked brilliantly. I really want to call this film a masterpiece, but this nagging feeling that the film writers just needed a few tweaks to literally fix the entire movie is too bothersome to me.

TL:DR, I felt it blatantly told too much and didn’t show enough. The film told me his reason but I didn’t see it. That’s why I feel Gilbert’s attitude was confusing and a little unwarranted.
Sticky_RiceMar 31, 2021 1:02 PM
Mar 31, 2021 7:54 PM

Mar 2018
One of the best anime experiences I've had ever; Kyoani does it again.

First off, I know the story was rather, well, basic and melodramatic, but nonetheless I enjoyed myself.

Kyoani's use of palate, art, direction, camera shots, voice acting; everything was amazing. The scene with Gilbert and Violet in the ocean and when Gilbert didn't want to see Violet were two of the best scenes I've seen ever. They also had the audacity to put like 7 sad scenes back-to-back. Not cool :'(
Mar 31, 2021 10:36 PM

Jun 2017
i don't have the luxury of going back and reviewing scenes but it was alright

[quote=Sticky_Rice message=62570312][quote=Lunar_Skies message=62570062]
Sticky_Rice said:

It’s very frustrating to me because it didn’t need much to remedy these issues. All the film needed was inserting 2-3 scenes in the existing film showing us how psychologically torn he was training Violet to become a killer and his regret of not seeing her through a normal life. That’s it. Could let the film remain as it is and it would’ve worked brilliantly.

i'd almost want to say that this throwing in "2-3 scenes" like that would be pretty shoehorned, which is it to say you'd be telling something for the sake of telling it when it doesn't need to be told all that much, but then again that's literally just describing this entire premise of "ohh gilbert is alive :o" - so sure, why not lol
GreatAideMar 31, 2021 10:50 PM
Apr 3, 2021 5:02 PM

Apr 2020
Absolutely beautiful. I was not prepared for the emotional roller coaster that this movie would put me through.

Thank you, KyoAni. From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
Apr 4, 2021 1:32 PM

May 2015
That was definitely a powerful movie in its own right with several callbacks to the Tv Series. Also opening up to the present and ending there. This really did look and feel like a Gibli film with the water effects.

That said, I don't think this needed to be 2hr+ for what the story was. The Yurith subplot, while thematically clear, just has no prior investment on my side as a viewer. They tried to make it as relatable and down to earth as possible but it ultimately feels disconnected. Only there again, to encapsulate the movies themes. More Gilbert and how he interacts with the world he's using as a replacement for his old one would've been nice. Overall, still good. 8/10

Apr 6, 2021 8:50 AM

Oct 2017
I am not crying, you are crying!

Baka Girberto!
Apr 8, 2021 1:32 AM

May 2016
So hang on. Don't they both die? Did I get baited about that?
Apr 9, 2021 8:36 PM

May 2011
Even on a pandemic I went to watch this movie and IT WAS WORTH IT.
It was so beautiful 10 minutes in and they made me cry so much.
I loved everything.
Apr 10, 2021 10:11 AM
Oct 2014
The movie is not bad, but honestly I feel it's overrated.
The first half was too slow. The second one was indeed emotional but a bit predictable.
I'm also not convinced that this title needed romance plot at all, because it's not what series was about.
Maybe I've just grew too old and became desensitized.
Anyway I liked the original series more than the movies.

Darudius said:

I guess they did eventually. Unfortunately people tend to die.
procionApr 10, 2021 10:14 AM
Apr 10, 2021 9:41 PM

Oct 2013
I really enjoyed the movie, but I felt that they dragged it on and made it more excessively dramatic than it needed to be.
Overall, the story where Violet writes her typical letter to someone is emotional and I enjoyed that story. There was just a lot going on and I could see how they tied it together but again, felt like they were milking it for more emotional content than need be.
Apr 11, 2021 3:17 PM
Jul 2018
I feel like this takes away from the impact of season 1 because Gilbert is actually alive, somehow surviving the bombardment and tons of rubble that must have fell on him. Not only is he alive but he's basically acting like a dejected Luke Skywalker, hiding on an island somewhere.

I almost wish that I hadn't seen this. 7/10, the visuals were beautiful and the story wasn't executed too poorly imo, I just didn't like the direction the story took. I probably would have enjoyed a heartbreaking story where she finally learns to accept that he's gone and cherishes the time she got to spend with him.

I mean, part of her struggles as a character is that she doesn't know what to do with herself without Gilbert. You reintroduce him to the story and I guess she just goes back to relying on him for the rest of her life? I don't think a happy ending fits in the grand scheme of things. Yeah, it's romantic and everything but based on the way it's gone thus far, it doesn't make too much sense.
removed-userApr 11, 2021 3:30 PM
Apr 16, 2021 12:31 AM

May 2010
I loved it from the beginning to the end. Not only I watched the whole movie in cinema, but I managed to wash my own clothes while watching it. I did it with my own tears. I cried through the 2/3 of the movie. Then cried again when seeing post-credits scene.
The only drawback was dub. Russian dub was horrible some moments, making Gilbert sound like some macho-guy. Would definitely rewatch again when HD quality will be released.
ps: Haven't read LN, planning to do it now though.
Apr 16, 2021 5:39 PM

Jul 2020
can't wait to own the dvd when it comes out... a perfect return for one of my favorite Studio
Apr 18, 2021 11:09 AM

May 2016
procion said:
The movie is not bad, but honestly I feel it's overrated.
The first half was too slow. The second one was indeed emotional but a bit predictable.
I'm also not convinced that this title needed romance plot at all, because it's not what series was about.
Maybe I've just grew too old and became desensitized.
Anyway I liked the original series more than the movies.

Darudius said:

I guess they did eventually. Unfortunately people tend to die.

Ah right, no. Some people made out that it was a tragic kind of death not an eventual thing. So do they end up together romantically in the end?
Apr 20, 2021 1:41 PM

Jul 2017
Got to see the movie in theatres today for free with my friends. Best part of the movie is that I finally get to see an anime movie after so long in theatres with mates, and it was on the day I was out of quarantine after travelling back home.

Worst part about the movie, is the entire movie itself. I've always despised the tonedeaf, frustratingly hollow, depthless trainwreck that is the writing in Violet Evergarden and this movie only took my extremely negative anime experience and made it 100x more agonizingly shit. The dialogue of Violet and Gilbert, the variety of angles of shit melodrama, the forced nature of melancholic presentation that screamed Oscar-bait desperation, all of this was just fucking abysmal.

I thought the Gaiden movie was bad but at least a big improvement from the terrible series. This movie though was atrocious and extremely emotionless for me since the writers don't know how to execute drama and characterization whatsoever.
May 16, 2021 1:30 PM
Tabibito-kun
May 2013
Saw this in theaters about a month ago. Beautifully executed, despite my qualms of my view on Gilbert throughout the movie. Overall, a spectacular conclusion to a fantastic series,
May 19, 2021 7:30 PM
Nov 2018
I don't give 10s often... but this movie deserved a 12/10
May 20, 2021 9:57 AM
Apr 2015
I came out of the theater and the movie is... Ok. Not much.
Too much flashback, always the same. I watched for the last time the anime 2 years ago, but it's unnecessary to show the same scenes 2-3 times in 2 hours.
The ending seems to me boring, truly and I more enjoyed the kid's arc.

All that for this. Pretty disappointed and frustrated.

6/10 for me.
May 20, 2021 11:48 PM
Jul 2020
What can I say about this movie? This is one of the best movies I have watched this year. I do not care if people say it is boring like the person above me. This movie is a perfect way to end a beautiful story and the character violet evergarden. In terms of story wise there is not much to say about it. But the direction is phenomenal and the animation and art was jaw dropping. Kyoto animation proves once again that they are one of the best studios out there in japan. Seriously such a great movie. If you love violet evergarden then watch this movie, it is incredible. 10/10 movie. The only problem I have with this series as a whole is it is kinda slow and many people will not like it. The last time I felt this moved was when I watched movies like silent voice, your name and weathering with you. Just perfect.
May 22, 2021 12:41 AM

May 2021
Damn I shed multiple tears,,,
May 22, 2021 12:50 PM

Jul 2011
Damn this movie, 10 minutes in and I was already crying.

The perfection of this movie is outstanding, brought closure to the points that were needed, and one more sad side story.

Violet and Gilbert are so perfect as a couple, that the only couple I can think of such high level is Tomoya and Nagisa from Clannad.

The postman is Violet & Gilbert son? Or I'm thinking too much?

Great, war, romance, and drama movie.
BlichoBoyMay 22, 2021 12:58 PM
May 22, 2021 9:34 PM
Apr 2021
so after this movie there will be no sequel? so this is how the LN ended?

p.s. I didn't watch it yet. hehe
May 23, 2021 2:02 AM
Oct 2020
I’m not sure if this will be the end of the Violet Evergarden series (VE Ever After may not be adapted yet, not sure), but regardless this was one of my best experiences watching anime. The story about the boy wanting to make his family feel better after you know what happens with letters was executed excellently. It was a fantastic example of VE’s storytelling capabilities and on the same level as the best stories from the anime. I’m very happy that Violet got a resolution to her main arc. I want to say that kyoani did an absolutely incredible job with the artwork and animation in this movie. Some of the background art made me just go “wow”. The animation (as to be expected with kyoani) was top notch, but especially characters’ facial expressions were immaculately done. The final scene with Violet standing in the water is a perfect demonstration of this. The emotional intensity of this scene was ridiculously high not only due to its length, but also due to the pin point specificity that was put into animating violet. While viewing of the original anime series is not necessary, it will definitely increase enjoyment of the movie. As for criticism, I honestly don’t have much. One thing is that the movie takes a while to set up the world before diving into the important stuff, so parts of it may seem like they drag a little, but this is probably to compensate for film only viewers. Hopefully this shoots up the charts as more people watch it, I cannot recommend this enough for fans of Violet Evergarden.
May 23, 2021 8:42 AM

Oct 2020
Massive question about the movie below>

Other than those two, beautiful movie which I'll definitely watch again :')

Thank you in advance!

✧ FOUND YOU, MY DARLING ✧ FORUM SET BY:BUNNY

May 24, 2021 4:45 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
You bet your ass I just stared at the credits for over 6 minutes. This is just one of those anime where you’re kind of left in a daze afterwards. Almost missed that last frame they had at the very end of the credits because I kind of just dropped my phone and listened to the songs. Man that last scene (that wasn’t even a scene, more like a single frame) helped satisfy me a bit more, but it was like just getting a few extra drops of water to just BARELY quench your thirst. Could feel those slight pangs of post anime depression hitting already.

So now that I’ve finally gotten my hands on the movie, it’s been 3 years since I’ve watched the series when it aired in 2018. So to just watch all this stuff unfold just felt surreal. Man I was sure Gilbert was dead. I thought this movie just delved more into their backstory, I didn’t think that the two would actually freaking unite, shit got me stunned.

...but it just kind of ENDS, feels like it has no payoff, it’s super moving and emotional when you’re in the moment, but when you look back, it’s kind of shallow. They unite, but after that, that’s it? They don’t give us anything after that except the one post credits FRAME, and the present day girl learning about the history of the postal company, okay that’s nice I guess then. It’s like the whole movie is riding on your anticipation of them finally confronting each other, and nothing more. So when they do finally meet face to face, it’s like: “ok, jobs done! Audience is in a trance! Time to get our pay checks and go home.” Like yeah obviously that’s the main point that the whole revolving around, but is there anything deeper to glean from this other than them simply reuniting (which again, is deeply moving, not gonna lie that I was real emotional during that scene), or maybe the real focus was that WORDS are indeed powerful things? Who knows.

I get that there had to be a reason that Gilbert didn’t return to violet after all those years. It’s the typical “she’s better off without me”, but man does it make him kind of a dick for doing that to violet when she clearly still cares about him. Read one of the reviews, they bring up a compelling argument. The series ended beautifully with violet overcoming her need of a master, then this movie just negates that by just making her want Gilbert again after realizing that there’s a chance to see him alive. HOWEVER, after trying to see him, she does accept the fact that he probably wants to stay out of her life, writes him a letter, and moves on. Only when she sees him running down the mountain does she turn back to meet him. So I do think that the series is NOT at all ruined by this movie. I’m rambling on here and it’s 4am but basically this is nothing more than a feels train but it carries out it’s purpose to great extent.

The sub plot with the boy with cancer was also incredibly moving. But I can’t help but feel it was out of place, perhaps shoehorned in just to squeeze maximum tears from this movie as possible. It’s like it was an unaired episode that they just threw in here to pad the running time to two hours. Or maybe I’m missing some connection here. Did violet learn something from that and is what helped her move on from Gilbert? Idk really, that had some major feels, but I still don’t know what it was doing in this movie.

Personally I think it could’ve been a lot better if violet confronted Gilbert directly right then and there halfway or so through the movie. I wanted to see them interact more afterwards. Did the writers not have any idea how to write dialogue for these two? Maybe it’s because they changed plans to revive Gilbert after initially intending him to actually be dead? Idk again, I haven’t read the novels so I don’t know what’s going on there. But I would’ve love to see these two just, talk, you know? After being separated for so many years? Instead we just get their one meeting (which is beautiful by the way, under the moonlight, in the ocean, holy shit) and that’s it. This is some your name-level romance. One meeting and ROLL credits. It’s just me wanting more but I do think more could’ve actually make it all in all better.

And I could’ve done without edgy Gilbert. I wanted him to light up in absolute joy once he found out violet was there on the island with him. But oh no we just had to have some drama to fill up the time before finally sending in their one card of the moonlight confrontation because they had nothing else to fill it with. Fill it with some violet and Gilbert just catching up with each other, man there’s so much you could do! Neither one knew the other was alive for goodness sakes! Perhaps it would be hard to explain why Gilbert didn’t return to the city in hopes of finding violet again had he NOT been edgy Gilbert. But you could easily write up some bs like he was instead STRANDED on an island after the war somehow with no methods of communication or transportation across the seas. The possibilities are endless.

Rambled on way too long and I need to sleep. But basically my thoughts are this: I loved TF our of this movie- WHILE I was watching it. I felt all the emotions. I was dazed during the end credits. But afterwards I realized that maybe it could’ve been a bit better. Think I’m going to give it the same score as I did the series, a 7/10. Or maybe an 8/10 for being able to achieve such emotional highs. But it had a lot going for it and ultimately I think they squandered its potential. Think I’m going to stick with a 7/10.

Although the tricky thing is that I don’t want to blame it on the studio if this is exactly how it was written in the novels, in that case, THEY are to blame, the studio was just following orders. But a studio does have the power to chance SOME writing aspects, does it not...? They could’ve tweaked it to make it a bit better. And maybe they did, and made it better than it actually was! In that case, more points for the movie! Orrrrrr they made it worse. I’m going to read the novels just to see how they did it.

As for the movie itself, solid. Visuals, I mean, that shot of violet after she fell on the road after running away realizing Gilbert didn’t want to see her anymore, the dark clouds stretching across the entire sky but with the sliver of light on the horizon? FUCKIN beautiful man. And of course when the two run/swim towards each other, and that moonlight. Impeccable stuff. Pacing, music, all the technical stuff, so well done.

Just wish we could’ve get just a little more OOMPH, a bit more punches to the gut despite us already getting a lot. And maybe just a little more of violet and Gilbert together, finally. Perhaps that’s there way of saying read the novels. In that case, I’ll gladly do so. Good night

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 26, 2021 5:30 AM
Apr 2020
This is was spectacular good. I'm not even joking this is definitely worth watching. P.S: If you easily cry like me i not recommend you watch it in one go. I cry on entire movie and yup my eyes and head hurts so much.
May 26, 2021 6:02 AM
Dec 2019
was that the end for violet evergarden? no more movies, season 2 or ovas??
May 27, 2021 9:11 PM
Mar 2015
Glad that they were finally able to say what they felt to each other
May 28, 2021 12:01 PM

Sep 2019
This left my eyes dry, very few movies, or any form of entertainment in general made me cry, and none like this tbh.

10/10

Would like to empty my tear sac again to this in a couple years from now when i'm rewatching the whole thing either cus I feel like it or cus i convenced someone to watch it with
May 29, 2021 6:05 PM

Mar 2019
I have no words right now after finishing it tbh. It was simply a masterpiece.

Don't know exactly when I cried last time (it was anime for sure but since I already watched of the drama ones, it's kinda hard to find anything) but this totally got me again.

Loved everything from the movie. It was a great ending, a happy ending. Violet deserves all my respect and my best wishes. She deserves all the happiness in the world. One of the best characters ever.

Thanks KyoAni for this series. (I cannot imagine getting a sequel to this and I think it's also mentioned here that this should be the end)
Jun 4, 2021 9:01 PM
Jan 2021
LOVED THIS MOVIE and omg I was surprised that Giber or Gilbert actually survived from the war and I was happy he confessed his love to Violet 😊
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

114 by Guilmon1 »»
Sep 18, 9:56 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

30 by Zorotoo »»
Sep 6, 10:51 AM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
May 3, 2:42 AM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.