Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 1, 2020 2:28 PM
Nov 2019
This episode was low-key a let down for me. The climax in episode 7 was too much to handle. That weak guy didn't even fit as the president of USA. Inuyashiki did a better job portraying the president.
Jan 1, 2020 2:52 PM

Jun 2013
After a long wait, it's back. Alex is the president! I did not see that coming.
Jan 1, 2020 3:51 PM

May 2019
This episode is not worth the long damn wait. Instead of explaining the loose ends from the whole ep 1-7 they instead jump to other new plot points. I already lose hope for this anime to actually explain anything.

I find it funny that they do a whole flashback for the new character instead of you know, explaining magase’s background, the one all people actually are interested in
Jan 2, 2020 6:47 AM

Jul 2014
My jaw dropped when i saw alex is the president
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Jan 2, 2020 7:52 AM

Jul 2014
kuroneko99 said:
As the picture is poor, I'm not sure, but one is a normal boiled egg? and the other is a balut?
I think this anime team has really nasty taste and can't understand the intention. (Sorry, but we just don't have such a dietary culture.)

I also thought of the balut and i loled
It's actually one of my fav food
"Everyone fails sometimes
But dreams won't fade, dreams won't fade
Let's chase them as many times as it takes and don't lose
Because today after all is today and once you wake up, it'll be a new morning"

~Aqours~
Jan 2, 2020 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
while this show has been wildly interesting mess but this episode really takes the cake for most absurdity! seriously a nerd gamer eventually became a president!? unfortunate the show took a month break also made the plot focus feel different too.
Jan 2, 2020 5:15 PM

Apr 2013
I like how they took that Law as an Terrorist attack, that's very interesting!
Also Sekuro I hope she wasn't that person with Magase, also Magase is making this seem like she's the master mind behind everything but it's also not true.
Jan 3, 2020 1:01 PM
Jul 2018
I cringed, and laughed while watching this episode. Sighs It was 2019 when this episode aired, yet Japanese creators are STILL drawing white characters with huge noses (even though contrary to the stereotype, whites and Asians' noses aren't different in size), and drawing the white characters blonde and blue eyed.
Like, wouldn't even the Japanese viewers find it more interesting to see a white characters on screen who DOESN'T look like a stereotype?
In America, there are Asian characters in animation who don't look stereotypical nowadays, to my knowledge. Anime is really slow with catching up to the times.
Although props to the anime for featuring a black American. It looks like Japanese creators are starting to find out that black people are really common in America. Still, the black guy's nose and lips were so huge I really laughed at how bad it was.
But none of the foreign characters acted like stereotypes: they just acted like the average American: normal people.

Anyways, racial stereotypes aside, this episode was confusing. I get the feeling that Alex isn't going to be a relevant character later on. If that's the case, then his whole back story was completely unnecessary.
I understand why the story got bigger in scale, but it became confusing for me.

SkyDrop said:
while this show has been wildly interesting mess but this episode really takes the cake for most absurdity! seriously a nerd gamer eventually became a president!? unfortunate the show took a month break also made the plot focus feel different too.

Now that you point it out, it actually is ridiculous, kinda. But why do people think the past episodes have been a mess?
Jan 3, 2020 3:52 PM
Jan 2020
I wanna bring Yagami Light or L to this anime to fight that bitch >°< aaarrg she's so annoying.
Jan 3, 2020 7:19 PM

Apr 2018
Dunno why and how other countries are getting involved in the suicide law
Jan 3, 2020 10:53 PM
May 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:

Now that you point it out, it actually is ridiculous, kinda. But why do people think the past episodes have been a mess?

if the show had more engaging characters or a better mystery, I'd be more willing to overlook the ridiculous plot contrivances - for example, why did nobody involved in running that kid for a parliamentary seat vet the candidate in any way? His viral sob story was literally about his dad, and nobody thought to ask, "wait who is this brat's dad anyway?" before running him?

as it stands we have a very Nasuverse-style protagonist who constantly says "I'm not sure what justice is" even though he is clearly and consistently pursuing a specific agenda throughout the entire series. much of the supporting cast has been killed off just to show off how much of an epic 4d chessmaster genius Ai and/or the mayor are, and based on what we've seen so far i dont have very much faith at this point that either antagonist has more compelling motives than "i want to kill/die because I am cuhrayzee."

i mean i hope im wrong, its possible we get some major twist in the last few episodes that recontextualizes everything we've seen so far and i was just too hasty and cynical to see the hidden brilliance here. but i dont even feel invested enough to make any predictions because the story could just kill off 90% of its cast or change countries again. it might be more enjoyable watched from a horror mindset, but as a mystery its frustrating as hell
Jan 3, 2020 11:02 PM
Jul 2018
beeeeeeeer said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

if the show had more engaging characters or a better mystery, I'd be more willing to overlook the ridiculous plot contrivances - for example, why did nobody involved in running that kid for a parliamentary seat vet the candidate in any way? His viral sob story was literally about his dad, and nobody thought to ask, "wait who is this brat's dad anyway?" before running him?

as it stands we have a very Nasuverse-style protagonist who constantly says "I'm not sure what justice is" even though he is clearly and consistently pursuing a specific agenda throughout the entire series. much of the supporting cast has been killed off just to show off how much of an epic 4d chessmaster genius Ai and/or the mayor are, and based on what we've seen so far i dont have very much faith at this point that either antagonist has more compelling motives than "i want to kill/die because I am cuhrayzee."

i mean i hope im wrong, its possible we get some major twist in the last few episodes that recontextualizes everything we've seen so far and i was just too hasty and cynical to see the hidden brilliance here. but i dont even feel invested enough to make any predictions because the story could just kill off 90% of its cast or change countries again. it might be more enjoyable watched from a horror mindset, but as a mystery its frustrating as hell

I feel like anime fans, particularly on MAL, place too much importance on character development. Yes, I agree character development is important...depending on the type of anime. In Neon Genesis Evangelion, I think character development is very important, since that show is a character focused anime. But Babylon is not a character focused story...although it has plenty of character deaths, characters who don't have much development, which seems to reduce the emotional impact that is supposed to come from character deaths, I don't feel it's that detrimental. But that's just me personally speaking.

Yeah, now that you point it out, it's definitely weird how nobody thought to find out who the kid's dad was.
Now I'm curious of the list of plot contrivances/holes/inconsistencies.
I'm not as critical at watching out for this kind of stuff like anime fans such as yourself, and I'm watching this show weekly, so it's easy for me to not spot the issues.

I think, from discussing with you, I'm coming to the realization that this mystery anime is focusing so much on keeping everything mysterious, that the mystery just feels like it's dragging on. Like, with Higurashi season 1, it was raising a bunch of questions, but also answering a lot of those questions, which kept me engaged.
With Babylon, I feel like the only mystery in this anime are Ai:

1) How does she drive people insane?
2) What's her background that made her this way?

And I suspect after a certain point, some viewers have stopped caring because these questions have been dragging on for so long.
Jan 4, 2020 9:00 AM
May 2016
RealTheAbsurdist said:

But Babylon is not a character focused story...although it has plenty of character deaths, characters who don't have much development, which seems to reduce the emotional impact that is supposed to come from character deaths, I don't feel it's that detrimental. But that's just me personally speaking.

the emotional impact is something of an issue, but I do think the lack of development is detrimental for a different reason. because these characters have such a short shelf life, we've gotten very little in terms of dynamics in the investigation team. There could have been a mole in the investigation team, or there could have been a stronger focus on ideological conflicts within the team, or there could have been more and different kinds of pressure from higher-ups, really anything to make the investigation itself more interesting.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

Yeah, now that you point it out, it's definitely weird how nobody thought to find out who the kid's dad was.
Now I'm curious of the list of plot contrivances/holes/inconsistencies.

I wish I could furnish you with the rest but I would have to rewatch the earlier episodes to refresh my memory and I am not willing to do that, lol. I can say with relative confidence that nothing prior was as egregious as the thing with the kid unless you count the relative implausibility of the experimental district concept itself - but I was willing to suspend my disbelief for that because I thought it could be interesting. I think there is a much better series lurking in this concept that goes more into the ethics of a government willing to use its citizens as guinea pigs in large-scale sociological experiments.

RealTheAbsurdist said:

I think, from discussing with you, I'm coming to the realization that this mystery anime is focusing so much on keeping everything mysterious, that the mystery just feels like it's dragging on. Like, with Higurashi season 1, it was raising a bunch of questions, but also answering a lot of those questions, which kept me engaged.
With Babylon, I feel like the only mystery in this anime are Ai:

1) How does she drive people insane?
2) What's her background that made her this way?

And I suspect after a certain point, some viewers have stopped caring because these questions have been dragging on for so long.

I would add:

3) What is her connection to the mayor?

but otherwise, yeah. Idk if you've seen or read Monster, but I think this series was going for a similar approach to its antagonist and is not nearly as successful. For one thing, Monster's runtime made the drip-feed of information about its villain much more justifiable - every new clue felt huge, even if it didn't allow the audience to solve the central mystery. In Babylon, I don't even think I understand what the clues are.

as much as i don't like this series, talking about it has been pretty enjoyable. so there's that, at the very least.
Jan 4, 2020 12:24 PM
Oct 2019
ziad1419 said:
ryuchigrayy said:
Just a boring episode, I don't care about other countries... just wanna know how it continues =_=

I also prefer that they would have given focus on Magase and Seizaki....

Boring episode ????
First half was all about seizaki
Just second half was about law
The political part is important in this show
Babylon is not just action show

True that, but still boring episode...
I wished it was all about seizaki!
Jan 4, 2020 4:01 PM

May 2013
a good episode, i missed this show
i didn't expect alex to be the president

the thing with suicide being considered a sin, the bible doesn't say anything about it, so weird and intriguing

Jan 5, 2020 1:52 PM

Dec 2007
Magase can have a lengthy discussion about RPGs with POTUS now since she won't stop talking about it.

I thought the girl in the game was Magase for a second tho...
Jan 5, 2020 4:14 PM

Aug 2018
Perhaps some people wondered if Grenoble (France) actually exists : well yes it does and this is the city I live in lul

Feels weird to watch a fiction where a suicide law is adopted in my own city. A bit similar to this episode , I honestly grew confused with Alex's backstory which really seemed out of subject (t'was expected it had a relation with the story of course, but it took time to discover).
Jan 5, 2020 10:25 PM
Apr 2019
so when the next episode will come?
Jan 6, 2020 2:13 AM
Apr 2015
umagi said:
This episode is not worth the long damn wait. Instead of explaining the loose ends from the whole ep 1-7 they instead jump to other new plot points. I already lose hope for this anime to actually explain anything.

I find it funny that they do a whole flashback for the new character instead of you know, explaining magase’s background, the one all people actually are interested in

Babylon is have three arcs
We start new arc
Episode 7 was end second arc
We will know about magase in next episode
Jan 6, 2020 4:39 AM
Oct 2016
Someone needs to beat the dog shit out of Magase Ai
Jan 6, 2020 7:25 AM
Feb 2019
Raid Shadow Legends
Jan 7, 2020 5:05 AM

Jan 2018
First episode was epic and reeled me in, but by episode 2, I just felt that it was all so dumb. I stuck around for answers but it's just so dragging. Magase is an absurd and 'forced' character that's not even a clever, nor cunning villain — just freakin' OP, thus not so connected to reality anymore. And what the hell happened to the investigation on the drug — one of the most important things they need to unravel about the show? Like heck, it really was all for shock value or gimmick to show us that whole paper with hair and blood thing. LOL. Ugh, so dumb.

So yeah: bottom line. I'm honestly tired of this show. Can anyone please give me some spoilers about the ending and reveal of this story? :(

hell is other people
Jan 25, 2020 6:16 PM

Oct 2013
Gonna go for the controversial take here: Babylon has seemingly transitioned from mystery thriller into philosophical political drama, and I have no idea why. The root of this story has always been suicide, so evidently the author wants to talk about suicide, that's fine. But the storytelling is turning into a mire and I've no idea where this is going. Why is America suddenly involved in this? What's with this AWW nigga? How come AWW is not RuneScape famous for being THE FUCKIN' POTUS?

Shit's weird. I'm enjoying this -- I mean, I'm not bored -- but shit's weird.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 27, 2020 5:26 PM
Jul 2015
I know there's a disclaimer in the beginning, but like, how can cities on their own implement laws? They weren't countries or states that implemented them, but cities. Shiniki is obvious, because it was a testing ground, but AFAIK, cities can't make their own laws (not ones like these anyways). I can suspend my disbelief only so much
Jan 29, 2020 2:31 AM
Apr 2016
Ah, love how every single person in this show, regardless of age, is portrayed as a sense of justice lacking idiot. I like Alex and I expected him to be either a detective or just some high authority-person—I wasn't too far off I suppose.
Jan 31, 2020 3:37 AM
Jun 2019
I was really, really enjoying it but this episode broke it for me,
Jan 31, 2020 3:25 PM

Jul 2015
I knew Alex would be someone important with his ability to think but I didn't expect him to hold that position

I didn't really liked this episode as part of this series since this really drifts off the original concept they had going in the first few episodes, there are still many things to be dealt with such as how the drugs works and we only have a couple of episodes left, I'm curious to see how they are going to end it

Feb 10, 2020 4:56 PM

Aug 2008
So suicide goes international. Just cause I suppose.
Feb 13, 2020 3:30 PM
Jul 2014
This episode was too cringy.
Feb 15, 2020 12:34 PM

Jul 2013
Instead of putting the group suicide on the news which would strengthen their opposition towards the suicide law with the general public, they decide to cover it up to avoid a scandal or commotion which in turn puts Sekuro's murder in the backseat. What even...

And here we go again with the "what is justice to you?" pseudo-philosophical bullshit they like to throw around without actually expanding on that theme.

It just occurred to me that Itsuki disappeared for no reason and returned and nobody even questioned him on that. What was even the point of him hiding?

The episode breaks off from here and goes into a whole new dimension.

Suicide law goes worldwide!

Apparently, Japan has now lost control over Shiniki. I can already tell this is going to be even more of a mess than the bullshit we've seen in the last few episodes. When the scale of things starts going up without a proper foundation, you know it's gonna end up failing so bad.

What a horrible episode.
Dull_LullNov 8, 2020 2:49 AM
Mar 3, 2020 6:27 PM

Nov 2010
Imagine the US having a president that is known as 'the thinker'. :D
Mar 30, 2020 5:37 AM

Dec 2013
Oh wow, I thought I'm already watching a new anime when Woods' story unfolded. So the suicide law got international? It's getting out of hand. But that must be the goal of that mayor and Magase, geez I still feel nervous when it comes to Zen's family. He should be more careful since his colleagues got killed. He should be more wary.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 8, 2020 1:59 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A relaxation episodes, following how fuck up the previous episodes was. Kinda dissapointing let Magase and the major letting escape with that suicidal and killing scandalous. But, what can you expect for these show? Only to mind-fucking your brain til there is no left humanity at all. That pure evil must be burned down. However, with the conflict now begin to reach the USA, idk what else this show can give me more joy. The way they describe the president of the USA backstories really unneeded, i guess. Idk what is the purposes at all, but i wanna see the next counter part to prevent the of law of suiciday actions.

Imo, the story flawnees feels too abrupt, skipping all the uniques part left with nonsense and logical failure conclusion. With that sad happen, zen's mental statement in an unknown condition (even he almost considering the suicide as a good way to end the series? Hell no) was only my strength point watching these show until the end.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 4, 2020 12:06 AM

Jul 2016
Well, the story now reached global scale with the Suicide Law being approved. Personally, this outcome was to be expected so let's see if the direction can maintain its focus now that things got international.

Overall, interesting transition episode but the US president's backstory felt unnecessarily long in my opinion. At first, I thought the inclusion of the whole MMORPG stuff would be related to Magase since she always use the same metaphor for her acts but it seems it wasn't the case. Honestly, I couldn't care less about how he managed to get a hot wife while playing a stupid game so I wonder if all this will be relevant at some point.

And also damn, Magase still screwing with MC's ideals by sending the balut thing. That shit was nasty.
Sep 27, 2020 12:11 AM
Aug 2020
I still don't get the egg scene
Nov 28, 2020 11:23 PM

Jun 2016
The suicide law has spread further than expected.

That random backstory came out of nowhere, a bit jarring tbh. Turns out Alexander is super, super, super important lol.

May 30, 2023 9:53 AM

Jun 2010
The shy and awkward gamer guy that is suppesedly a "very deep" thinker, happens pull a model girlfriend through an online game that sees beyond his lack of confidence and uplifts him, and becomes the president of the US comes across as such an over-the-top wish fulfillment by the author. It's just pure cringe.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Babylon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2020

118 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 7, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2019

319 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 6, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2020

442 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2019

157 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2020

98 by VanniePon »»
Feb 16, 6:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.