Forum Settings
Forums

The "special one" who made you change your mind

New
Sep 20, 2019 5:25 PM

Jul 2019
Going through tons of reviews and just talking to friends, I realised a lot of people can change their mind on a certain genre they thought was bad after really liking an anime they tried.

For example, some Haikyuu!! reviews mention the fact they didn't thought much of the sports genre until they saw it.

I do feel like I have a certain preconception about solely ecchi (or with school/romance kinda stuff) and purposely avoid them because of it.

What is the genre you changed opinion on, and what is the anime that made you change your mind? Please leave a little explanation as to why this peculiar anime changed your mind and what was so different of what you expected.
Sep 20, 2019 5:37 PM

Jul 2017
Similar case with me and sports, but it was with Kuroko's Basket instead. Not that I didn't like sports at all, just thought I wouldn't really like watching anything that wasn't soccer/motorsports, but boy was I wrong

also Love Stage made me change my mind on BL anime
Sep 20, 2019 5:44 PM

Jun 2019
Well, my least favorite genres would be Comedy, anything Ecchi/Harem/Hentai, and Sports.

Out of those, the only one I really gave a chance to was Sports when I watched Ping Pong the Animation. I definitely was a fan, rated it accordingly, and it helped me resolve to consider any sports show that was said to be similarly as good or looked uniquely appealing to me, but so far haven't watched any more yet.

On your last question, with Ping Pong, it was the unique art both in how the characters were drawn and certain visual sequences (characters' imaginations or visualizations of things), all the characters feeling interesting and having their motives explained with internal narration rather than generic and interchangeable in either art style or personality, the show exploring every aspect of the sport from the coaches reminiscing about their glory days to the style of different schools and gyms to people trying to make a career out of it to the physical and psychological toll to sports advertising to even the tactile feel and weight of different balls and paddles (and illustrated with the animation) to really place you there, and the feeling of having gone on a long draining journey after a short run of episodes.

Tension was also effectively created during match sequences by the unconventional way it was animated and really putting you inside the players' state of mind. You found yourself actually caring about the outcome of a match more than any live sports game of any type in real life (for me, since I don't watch sports in real life). And the ending was handled deftly to transform what could have been an anti-climax into a message that made the show transcend the confines of the sport itself.

I think ultimately any sport or game genre anime, whether it be over basketball or ping pong or shogi, spends on a lot of a time on what amounts to playing around. It can be friendly or hyper competitive and have money or future college or career prospects riding on it, but it's not a matter of life and death. So they have to devise a way to make the stakes transcend that and use the game either symbolically or only as a part of a larger story about the characters. If the characters suck and are just boring generic clones, there's no chance of that.
WatchTillTandavaSep 20, 2019 5:58 PM
Sep 20, 2019 5:55 PM
Jul 2018
At least for some sports. Free was okay, but I gave a chance to Yuri on Ice, Welcome to the Ballroom and Tsurune, because I like the sports. I can't see myself watching something about volleyball, soccer or boxing tho. Even if people keep telling me that they are good.

Then the classic one is Madoka Magica for Magical Girl series. I knew Princess Tutu all along but would put it less in the magical girl genre than today. I don't know why.

For me, it was also Josei and Paradise Kiss. My first one was Loveless, which I liked back then, but now I'm kinda ashamed of it and don't know how to feel about it. I mean, I do know, but there is a little bit nostalgia to it and the thought that Ritsuka is too good for the plot and that pedo Soubi and everything.
Then I don't know, if I want to continue Karneval etc and came across some weird stuff, mainly in short manga. I thought Josei is almost only about smut, reserve harems and some idealized guys for young women.

Also Scum's Wish and "Ecchi". It has such a tag at least and if it's more mature and actually handled like that, I'm completely fine with it.
Same for something like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt as a parody.
Sep 20, 2019 6:03 PM

Jun 2014
With the exception of "Macross," I had very little interest in mecha for as long as I can remember, but then I decided to give the original 1979 Gundam series a shot, and I was hooked. I went on to watch "Zeta," "ZZ" and "Char's Counterattack," along with seeing "War in the Pocket" and "Stardust Memory" as well.

I recently watched the entire "Votoms" franchise, and I was quite impressed.

Short_Circut said:
Similar case with me and sports, but it was with Kuroko's Basket instead. Not that I didn't like sports at all, just thought I wouldn't really like watching anything that wasn't soccer/motorsports, but boy was I wrong

also Love Stage made me change my mind on BL anime

I figured that it would've been Kuroko's Basket that changed your mind on BL Anime. :P

Sep 20, 2019 6:19 PM

Aug 2018
For me, the anime that changed my opinion would be Violet Evergarden. I started watching it spur of the moment. Up until then, all I really watched was action/adventure/shounen related stuff. But Evergarden made me realize that I was missing out on so many great Anime that didn't involve someone getting punched through a mountain or something. But besides being one of the most gorgeous anime I've every seen, the story really drew me in. First anime to make me shed a tear... or several. I went from that, to watching Your Lie in April, to March Comes in like a Lion, etc. I'm glad I gave it a chance.
Sep 20, 2019 6:20 PM

Sep 2017
idol genre id say,i was very skeptical of the community and actual contents but after watching the og idolmaster anime i fell in love with the passion they sparked in me! (they also made fall down a inevitable gacha hell but)

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Sep 20, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2013
I've found a few anime within genre I usually avoid that I enjoyed, but they were more of an exception than anything else. Nothing that made me change my mind about a whole genre though.
Sep 20, 2019 6:32 PM

Nov 2011
I was never like that. I won't hate anything before I at least tried it.
Maybe except for when it baffled me when too many similar looking shows and I didn't have time to tried them all, this kind of thing happened to overused genres like rpg-like isekais recently and idol animes before it.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Sep 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Oct 2016
The Anime That really Changed my Mind Is This.. :
Sep 20, 2019 7:30 PM

Nov 2018
Yeah, I was bad with animes involved in food but after watching "Shokugeki No Soma". I just feel bad that I was wrong. Anime with any kind of genre is really impressive.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 20, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2019
"genres" are the trifles of the bourgeois; the cultured man wastes not his time with wondering of such petty things.
SphinxterSep 20, 2019 7:35 PM

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Sep 20, 2019 8:15 PM

Jul 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
Well, my least favorite genres would be Comedy, anything Ecchi/Harem/Hentai, and Sports.

Out of those, the only one I really gave a chance to was Sports when I watched Ping Pong the Animation. I definitely was a fan, rated it accordingly, and it helped me resolve to consider any sports show that was said to be similarly as good or looked uniquely appealing to me, but so far haven't watched any more yet.

On your last question, with Ping Pong, it was the unique art both in how the characters were drawn and certain visual sequences (characters' imaginations or visualizations of things), all the characters feeling interesting and having their motives explained with internal narration rather than generic and interchangeable in either art style or personality, the show exploring every aspect of the sport from the coaches reminiscing about their glory days to the style of different schools and gyms to people trying to make a career out of it to the physical and psychological toll to sports advertising to even the tactile feel and weight of different balls and paddles (and illustrated with the animation) to really place you there, and the feeling of having gone on a long draining journey after a short run of episodes.

Tension was also effectively created during match sequences by the unconventional way it was animated and really putting you inside the players' state of mind. You found yourself actually caring about the outcome of a match more than any live sports game of any type in real life (for me, since I don't watch sports in real life). And the ending was handled deftly to transform what could have been an anti-climax into a message that made the show transcend the confines of the sport itself.

I think ultimately any sport or game genre anime, whether it be over basketball or ping pong or shogi, spends on a lot of a time on what amounts to playing around. It can be friendly or hyper competitive and have money or future college or career prospects riding on it, but it's not a matter of life and death. So they have to devise a way to make the stakes transcend that and use the game either symbolically or only as a part of a larger story about the characters. If the characters suck and are just boring generic clones, there's no chance of that.

Very well said, though I personally feel as the ping pong matches weren't as tense as I wanted them to be and the sport itself was more used as a support to the development of the characters so yeah I'm kinda dissapointed in that aspect of the anime.

Definitively a great show, though I wouldn't lump it in with other sports anime which fit more the mold that the sports genre have, for example Haikyuu!!, Kuroko no Basket and others that I have yet to see.

Sports anime do have to have a certain drive/motivation, stakes and especially risks. Though the two latter ones are usually not respected or simply faked, seeing the characters evolve through sport is genuinely awesome. Just like you said the sports is just a part of a larger story about characters in Ping Pong, if you liked it I'd recommend you Ashita no Joe it has a lot of the elements you mentionned (psst...I personnally like it if you didn't know HUEHUEHUE...) though I hope you'll like also other sports anime that are more conventional!
Sep 20, 2019 8:18 PM

Jul 2019
Sphinxter said:
"genres" are the trifles of the bourgeois; the cultured man wastes not his time with wondering of such petty things.

Let's then remove the word "genre". Is there an anime that you avoided trying on purpose because it contained certain elements you disliked or had preconceptions on, and after trying a show with that element you changed opinion? Same questions, which element was it, and which anime made you change your mind? (+ little explanation)
Sep 20, 2019 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
It didn't really change my mind on the entire genre but Big O is the only mecha anime to this day that I could say that I like. I'm thinking of giving Bokurano a chance as well, though.
Sep 20, 2019 8:31 PM

Mar 2019
BiDiGiN said:
Sphinxter said:

Let's then remove the word "genre". Is there an anime that you avoided trying on purpose because it contained certain elements you disliked or had preconceptions on, and after trying a show with that element you changed opinion? Same questions, which element was it, and which anime made you change your mind? (+ little explanation)
Even if it be good despite of the elements I dislike, that still does not make such elements good. Perfection is of course hard to find and almost everything I generally like has elements I find objectionable.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Sep 20, 2019 8:38 PM
Jul 2018
I don't really like the mecha, magical girl and harem genres. And I still keep that thought to this day. However, shows like Code Geass, Princess Tutu and The World God Only Knows happen to end up in my favorites for many good reasons.

Ecchi too, happens to be a pain for me. But I sort of changed my mind with the genre when I watched shows like Chivalry of a Failed Knight and Kill la Kill.

There are still a few genres that I haven't really touched on too much yet such as the sports genre. But I'm not really sure if I would go and like those shows or not.
Sep 21, 2019 1:58 AM
Jul 2018
Regarding sport anime and manga, titles like Haikyou is the ones I avoid. Tried reading a manga and while first 10-15 volumes were interesting, it starts dragging on and on. Plus this and Free were fujoshi bait.

Beach Stars was so much better for that kind of volley action and characters, but last 2 volumes shortened the story dramatically.

Slam Dunk is much better for a series focusing mainly on sport. I'd also like to watch Musashi no Ken. Kendo anime with very good production values, but subs quality make it unwatchable

Prefer sports titles with better mix of real life and drama and social issues thrown in (ashita no Joe, Yawara, attack no 1, happy, ping Pong, rubbers 7, all rounder me guru, Teppuu etc)
Sep 21, 2019 2:06 AM

May 2014
Haikyuu also showed me that sports anime can be good and i don't need to be into the sport to enjoy it. Although that's still the only sports anime i like at the moment.

HeruruMeruru said:
It didn't really change my mind on the entire genre but Big O is the only mecha anime to this day that I could say that I like. I'm thinking of giving Bokurano a chance as well, though.

I'm not a mecha fan in the slightest, but Bokurano was great.
Sep 21, 2019 2:16 AM
Aug 2018
I thought sol was boring and 3-Gatsu no lion would be the same. But now I’ve watched it I can’t get over it: it is now my favourite series of all time.

Yotsuba also made me realise how funny comedy manga could be, which I thought could not possibly work well.
Sep 21, 2019 2:17 AM

Apr 2019
Lol. What you said literally happened to me on the last anime I watched. I really wasn't that into the Historical Genre but after watching Gosick I changed my mind and i really like Historical anime now. Gosick is probably one of the best anime I've ever watched as well.

Sep 21, 2019 2:57 AM

Jun 2019
What you mean Jose Mourinho, that 'special one', what does he have to do with anime? lol
Sep 21, 2019 5:54 AM

Oct 2010
Ikkitousen made me rethink my strategy about ecchi anime, watching it was a great experience and after it I started to watch more ecchi.

More topics from this board

» Anime adaptation wish list

kuroneko99 - Apr 5

27 by Rhaelynne »»
10 seconds ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 35 minutes ago

3 by Otakupervert890 »»
20 seconds ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

233 by Maumuu »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - 1 hour ago

11 by Rhaelynne »»
7 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 48 minutes ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.