Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Jun 18, 2019 3:34 PM
Jul 2010
The reveal that we have been waiting for so long, and what do they do? They rush the shit out of it. WAY too much important information all over the place in the first half of the episode. No way anyone's gotta catch every single thing they mention without pausing or rewatching the episode. It's just too much to take in if you're an anime watcher only. I didn't have a problem with the reveal itself, but how it was executed. This episode also had some bad animation moments. Looked very stiff at times. Voice acting was also very irritating to listen to when it came to Grisha imo and his fathers voice just didn't feel right imo when he revealed the past. Personally liked the second half better (if you exclude Grishas VA that is..).

So yeah, nice reveal but ended up underwhelming because of how it was executed.
JulleJun 18, 2019 3:37 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2019 3:51 PM
Jan 2019
andramus said:
I think one of the problems with discussing this series when it comes to manga spoilers is the fact that some of the reveals that we are given aren't neccessarily explicit and aren't clarified until later.

One example would be that my takeaway from this episode is that only people of Eldian lineage can become Titans. However some people didn't pick up on that and think that it's a manga spoiler to discuss this as a certainty.

Assuming I am correct and only people of Eldian lineage can become Titans that means the 7 Titans who were "stolen" by Marley were actually Eldians who betrayed their own people.

Based on what we know so far it seems like only the 9 Titans are capable of shifting back to human form. Which basically means the vast majority of Eldians don't have any special power. In fact being turned into a "pure" Titan is the last thing most of them would want.

If the Titans were oppressing Marley it's possible a lot of Eldians were unhappy with their rule as well. Seeing as only an elite few ever get to possess the power and the rest are just subjects who can also be controlled and have their memories altered by the Co-ordinate Titan.

Here is a question that I have. The Fritz family are apparently direct descendants of the first Titan Ymir Fritz. OK, but what does direct descendant mean in this context? Either someone is your biological ancestor or they are not.

My working theory is that the Eldians are descendants of the first group of 9 Titans who received their power from Ymir Fritz and that not all of those 9 Titans were children of Ymir. I wouldn't be surprised if only the first Co-ordinate Titan was a child of Ymir and the rest were not related to her - at least by descent, they might have been brothers or sisters.

Here is another question. How do the people of Marley know who is an Eldian and who isn't? As far as I can tell you only need one Eldian parent to inherit the "Titan Genome". Couldn't that mean that there are a bunch of Marley citizens who are Eldian and don't even realise it? They might have had a great-great-grandmother who had an affair with an Eldian and hid the lineage of their child. Over time there could be hundreds, even thousands of unaware Eldians living in Marley.

Maybe the "Titan Genome" can be diluted over multiple generations if only one parent has it. Otherwise I don't know how the hell there wouldn't be hidden Eldians all over the place over time.

They do blood tests ... i am sure o read that somewhere
Jun 18, 2019 3:53 PM
Jan 2019
Julle said:
The reveal that we have been waiting for so long, and what do they do? They rush the shit out of it. WAY too much important information all over the place in the first half of the episode. No way anyone's gotta catch every single thing they mention without pausing or rewatching the episode. It's just too much to take in if you're an anime watcher only. I didn't have a problem with the reveal itself, but how it was executed. This episode also had some bad animation moments. Looked very stiff at times. Voice acting was also very irritating to listen to when it came to Grisha imo and his fathers voice just didn't feel right imo when he revealed the past. Personally liked the second half better (if you exclude Grishas VA that is..).

Honestly it was way better than the manga of u rate the manga on manga basics and anime on anime basics
Try reading these chapters in manga in a roll man
Jun 18, 2019 3:56 PM
Jan 2019
0-Senpai said:
It was a great episode. Nevertheless, I couldn't understand the part where they turn the Criminals into titans. By doing this, aren't they just empowering them??

First, they will all their as a mindless titan = eternal sufferimg
Second, they throw them in paradis island.. so the only victims are paradis people and those marlians wont get hurst by them at all
Jun 18, 2019 3:56 PM

Aug 2012
haunted said:

I see that she doesn’t tell the story behind the names in the manga like she did in the anime, so, yeah, it’s an Easter egg the anime expanded into a setting-breaking mistake.

I rewatched that scene and she just says that once upon a time there were some cannibals living in a cave. she doesnt mention scotland or any place.
Jun 18, 2019 3:59 PM

Jul 2012
Julle said:

Compared to the manga, it was quite the opposite, they stuffed all of the info in 20 minutes without much of a problem, even cutting reinstatements and a red herring. The whole thing take quite a while to read through and absorb.

I honestly think both work just as well and both require a reread and a rewatch.
The only difference is that since you are reading much more slowly, the manga actually manages to create a bit more tension in some scenes.

That doesn't mean it is badly executed, it just mean it's THAT substantially packed.

This is actually one of the smoothest infodumps I've seen, and that's quite a difficult trope to handle well. They didn't rushed or misplaced anything at all, it was just fast paced and full of really important content tbh

Jun 18, 2019 4:04 PM

Apr 2013
2 reasons why this ep was satysying!
1. Eren's father flash back and a bit of background story behind the walls!
2. UGLY FATASS GONE!
also Dina is that Titan that ate his ex! aka Eren's mother WOW!!! also the titans that were in that flash backs I remember some from Season 1!!! OMG This is pretty interesting that they are those people!
Jun 18, 2019 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
Xenocrisi said:
Fun thing is that most of the titans we’ve seen today were also in the first arc of the anime. Like for example the little titan and santa titan, I still remember them. And unfortunately I was spoiled about the truth about the blonde titan, Dina. That she killed Eren’s mother for reasons I don’t know.
I wonder if the Eldians that were transformed this episode have some kind of connection with the first wall’s break. Knowing the manga’s complicate plot, I believe I’m right.
Oooh I’m glad I wasn’t the only who caught that

It wasn't that hard to notice them, the santa guy, the weird face guy and obviously Dina :/ I feel bad that you have been spoiled. And now i think i will never look at the titan that ate Eren's mom and the other titans the same way again, i mean not in a bad way at least.
I think there is no reason behind why she ate her, just coincidence.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 18, 2019 5:12 PM

Jul 2012
AivanK said:
Xenocrisi said:
Fun thing is that most of the titans we’ve seen today were also in the first arc of the anime. Like for example the little titan and santa titan, I still remember them. And unfortunately I was spoiled about the truth about the blonde titan, Dina. That she killed Eren’s mother for reasons I don’t know.
I wonder if the Eldians that were transformed this episode have some kind of connection with the first wall’s break. Knowing the manga’s complicate plot, I believe I’m right.
Oooh I’m glad I wasn’t the only who caught that

I think there is no reason behind why she ate her, just coincidence.

Likely something related to
, if not, quite the very unfortunate coincidence for Grisha.
Jun 18, 2019 6:38 PM

Jan 2017
Not going to lie, season 1/2/first part of 3 all felt pretty mediocre to me. This entire second half is such a huge jump in the right direction. Made all the previous seasons worth watching
Jun 18, 2019 8:13 PM

Dec 2015
oh shit i fell asleep, what'd i miss?
no
Jun 18, 2019 11:17 PM

Jul 2012
Roronoa said:
oh shit i fell asleep, what'd i miss?

Worldbuilding pretty much. More to come in the next episode further elaborating on what was presented thus far.
Jun 19, 2019 2:07 AM

Oct 2014
this episodes creates more questions than answers.

as a non manga reader, this is epic,.
Jun 19, 2019 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
The history about Titans is interesting
Jun 19, 2019 4:20 AM

Dec 2016
Hm yeah ok that's sick
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jun 19, 2019 6:42 AM

Mar 2011
Three seasons of breadcrumbs and then this info dumb. Felt very rushed because of that, I think ill have to rewatch the episode to properly make sure I understand.

It kind of felt unsatisfying though. All this build up to the 'basement' and then Eren just randomly has a 'dream' that reveals everything.
"When everyone else is about to give up, the fighter who becomes the role model, is the true Leader."

Jun 19, 2019 7:49 AM

Oct 2013
TehWhiteTiger said:
Three seasons of breadcrumbs and then this info dumb. Felt very rushed because of that, I think ill have to rewatch the episode to properly make sure I understand.

It kind of felt unsatisfying though. All this build up to the 'basement' and then Eren just randomly has a 'dream' that reveals everything.

No, everything you are seeing is from the three books he got from the basment, he is just remembering them as a dream, Armin literally said it fits perfectly with the books that they read from the basements.

Basically Isayama was just introducing Grisha backstory in a interesting way, than having the characters reading it in the books. Everything you are seeing is from the three books in the basement.
keragammingJun 19, 2019 8:02 AM
Jun 19, 2019 8:36 AM

Sep 2014
Welp, that was pretty confusing.
Jun 19, 2019 9:23 AM

Oct 2016
Frequently in anime there are things that stretch the bounds of real world logic so you just shrug and go along with them. One example is Mikasa unleashing her inner badass when she was a little girl. I just thought that was a typical anime trope of emotion giving a character strength.

I sort of expect things not to make real world sense in anime so it's funny how many things Attack on Titan actually explains that I just assumed were anime shenanigans. I remember during season 1 saying to my brother that it made no sense that humanity was able to fend the Titans off long enough to build the walls if the Titans were such an overwhelming threat. However I just shrugged and accepted it. Turns out there was an explanation after all.

Of course the trap that Isayama has made for himself now is that I expect things that don't make logical sense to have an explanation or reason and if they don't I'll feel letdown.

One example I'll give is the Marley history/propaganda. According to Marley propaganda the Eldians were eugenicists who were practicing genocide. If that was really true then whatever methods of genocide the Eldians were practicing were pretty damn incompetent seeing as they ruled for nearly 2000 years. If they were really trying to make Eldians the only race on the continent by interbreeding or murder they had enough time to do it and yet seemingly failed spectacularly. As far as I can tell Eldians are actually a minority. Otherwise it would be pretty hard for the Marleyans to keep them under control.
Go Beyond, Plus Ultra!
Jun 19, 2019 9:43 AM
May 2012
Damn, as an anime only viewer the info dump was crazy, I’ll likely have to rewatch 8/9/10 in sequence when it’s done to thoroughly grasp it all. If anything all I have is more questions, but hopefully it looks like the viewers will get a satisfying ending. I’m not sure how long the manga will continue, the creator estimated two more years but that’s of course just a guess. I can see how it’s sort of wrapping though. Without knowing anything about the manga future I’d expect some kind of final battle and release of all information to all parties involved. If that’s what the ending is then I suppose I’m fine with that. Likely still another two part season 4 to complete it all though. Shame because I think that the wait will be at least till next spring for a season 4 part 1 to start airing. I can already see it now, 9/10 will give us more information and then leave us on a massive cliffhanger to start season 4 a year later. Rough!
Jun 19, 2019 10:32 AM

Apr 2019
blazkiller123 said:
I can already see it now, 9/10 will give us more information and then leave us on a massive cliffhanger to start season 4 a year later. Rough!

i mean
i don't think its even possible to end something without a cliffhanger
i mean xD it doesnt matter how u go from here its a cliffhanger anyway xD

andramus said:
Frequently in anime there are things that stretch the bounds of real world logic so you just shrug and go along with them. One example is Mikasa unleashing her inner badass when she was a little girl. I just thought that was a typical anime trope of emotion giving a character strength.

I sort of expect things not to make real world sense in anime so it's funny how many things Attack on Titan actually explains that I just assumed were anime shenanigans. I remember during season 1 saying to my brother that it made no sense that humanity was able to fend the Titans off long enough to build the walls if the Titans were such an overwhelming threat. However I just shrugged and accepted it. Turns out there was an explanation after all.

Of course the trap that Isayama has made for himself now is that I expect things that don't make logical sense to have an explanation or reason and if they don't I'll feel letdown.

One example I'll give is the Marley history/propaganda. According to Marley propaganda the Eldians were eugenicists who were practicing genocide. If that was really true then whatever methods of genocide the Eldians were practicing were pretty damn incompetent seeing as they ruled for nearly 2000 years. If they were really trying to make Eldians the only race on the continent by interbreeding or murder they had enough time to do it and yet seemingly failed spectacularly. As far as I can tell Eldians are actually a minority. Otherwise it would be pretty hard for the Marleyans to keep them under control.

its funny reading that
u will like the next episode
the manga isn't finished but i haven't found anything that can't be explained or speculated on
i was like you before, didn't expect anything to make sense and suddenly it got explained

TehWhiteTiger said:

Eren does not randomly have a dream lmao.

You son of a .. turtle

Jun 19, 2019 11:34 AM

Jul 2009
TehWhiteTiger said:

Eren said he got "connected" to his father's memories, which happened after reading the memories in the form of books. So reading caused this connection to happen I suppose. Ultimately I think Isayama just wanted to show the events to the readers / viewers in an interesting way.

It didn't feel as rushed in the manga, since it took 2 chapters with a month of waiting in between, but I get where you're coming from.
Jun 19, 2019 12:41 PM

Jan 2016
holy shit that's a lot of information to take in. I hope they explain it more in the next episodes because god damn I can not just remember everything like that.
Jun 19, 2019 8:11 PM

Aug 2009
As an anime watcher only, this is one of best "secret" reveals ever, the episode from atmosphere, art, plot, voice acting are all perfect, 10/10 for me.
Jun 20, 2019 3:00 AM

Feb 2009
I just wondered. If there were 9 titanshifter in total but Griesha eat 2 of them, does that take the number down to 8 permanently or is there some way to extract one of the titans out of him without eating him? Apparently Ymir Fritz power split in 9 pieces if i understood that correctly, so it should be possible i guess?
Jun 20, 2019 4:11 AM
Feb 2015
So can someone enlighten me about the titans on the paradis island ?
Are they all criminals thrown there by marleyans ?
They are too much to believe they are all criminals.
Why there so much titan there wandering ? If the king took all his people inside the walls ?
Jun 20, 2019 8:51 AM

Jul 2014
Interesting twist about Paradis Island being a penal colony.

I think this twist was done better here than the alternate universe twist in Fuillmetal Alchemist (2003).
Jun 20, 2019 9:25 AM

Mar 2015
It took a good 4 hours and a lot of conversing with friends to piece together the 50 bombs of information dropped on us in this episode, but it was pretty good regardless. Quite a twist, I'm pretty excited to see where the anime goes after these revelations.

"𝘋𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘯𝘵 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘪𝘥𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘦𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘬 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘱𝘶𝘵 𝘶𝘱 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘢𝘬𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘴? 𝘠𝘰𝘶’𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦’𝘴 𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵."

Jun 20, 2019 10:37 AM
May 2015
TehWhiteTiger said:

He doesn't have a random dream - after finding out the information from the books in the basement, that knowledge triggered Grisha's memories in Eren - he just got a confirmation of the basement info.
羽根を焦がす無数の鳥が
灰を散らし安らぎ笑う
誰か散らせ
僕がここに居たという証も
骨はどうせ砂と化して消えるのに
Jun 20, 2019 12:09 PM

Dec 2014
really liked the memory down the lane hmmm.... I guess the season is wrapping up now now that all the tension is wrapped up
Jun 20, 2019 5:01 PM
Jan 2019
Arcos said:
I just wondered. If there were 9 titanshifter in total but Griesha eat 2 of them, does that take the number down to 8 permanently or is there some way to extract one of the titans out of him without eating him? Apparently Ymir Fritz power split in 9 pieces if i understood that correctly, so it should be possible i guess?

Nah.. the only possible way is to eat him ( as far as we know in manga and anime)
Jun 21, 2019 2:37 AM

Jan 2018
Finally, some information about the history of Titans and humans outside the walls.

> Background on Grisha's past and Zeke. Damn.
> That bloody Sgt... Good thing that he deserved to die.
> So, that's how humans became Titans. As was speculated before.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Jun 21, 2019 3:35 AM

Feb 2018
hawktr said:
So can someone enlighten me about the titans on the paradis island ?
Are they all criminals thrown there by marleyans ?
They are too much to believe they are all criminals.
Why there so much titan there wandering ? If the king took all his people inside the walls ?

This should answer all your questions :

7soJun 21, 2019 3:46 AM
Jun 21, 2019 4:18 AM
Jan 2018
ive seen a few people take the deal with the devil part to literal and i think it shouldn't been seen has fact 1850 years is a long time the events can be muddled and misunderstood like a devils whisper where you tell one person then they tell multiple people and when you ask like 100th person what was said they will say something the exact opposite to what was originally said kinda like the bible
Jun 21, 2019 5:20 AM

Jun 2012
Am I still watching Attack on Titan? It's like this series has evolved and continually every week I can't get over it haha.

Jun 21, 2019 5:54 AM
May 2016
Yasu-kun said:
Am I still watching Attack on Titan? It's like this series has evolved and continually every week I can't get over it haha.

This is genuinely the part where the manga becomes so ambitious yet manages to pull it off so well that it feels like it's a completely different series. Seriously, the next arc in the manga currently is top-tier and builds off extremely well from the reveals in these past few eps
Jun 21, 2019 6:14 AM

Aug 2018

This man, the legend himself, is the true MVP of Attack on Titan
Everything went exactly according to his plans. Him killing Grisha's sister was just the first step to make Grisha seek revenge and take actions to change this cursed world. Sacrifices were needed. Think about it, without him, Eren would not even exist.

The madman kept his acting to the very end even after ordering the owl to throw him
Jun 21, 2019 2:09 PM

Jan 2016
I'm impressed. What an amazing episode! (episode 7's post credit twist made me worry for nothing... :D)
Jun 22, 2019 4:27 AM

Jul 2016
So there are 9 titan powers but I thought you gained those pwoers from eating a human?

Or do you just regain your thoughts and are a big ass titan when that happens?
Jun 22, 2019 4:31 AM
Jan 2018
Vindicater said:
So there are 9 titan powers but I thought you gained those pwoers from eating a human?

their are 9 titans overall , you need to eat the shiftier who has one of those titans in order to to have the titan power like eren who eat his dad and so on,
Jun 22, 2019 4:46 AM

May 2019
The way the history of the titans and Eren's lineage was explained was surprising but satisfying, and I'm glad the narrative is extending this way. Tbh I wasn't a huge fan of AOT season 1 or two, but 3 has really stepped it up. I like the geopolitical take on the world, and I think the writing of Eren's character has improved immensely.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jun 22, 2019 7:42 AM
May 2017
Sw3at said:
I'm impressed. What an amazing episode! (episode 7's post credit twist made me worry for nothing... :D)

What were you worried about may i ask??!
Jun 22, 2019 8:12 AM

Jan 2016
Edylson said:
Sw3at said:

What were you worried about may i ask??!

If you haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 yet, you won't understand. Or go read what I wrote with other users in the '7th episode discussion'... (I though some twists were alike, but hopefully SnK managed to deliver something interesting and original, even if it may have the same inspirations it takes another way...)
Jun 22, 2019 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
i think the next episode will be another filler about grisha. i'm the kind of people who don't like filler, but i really enjoyed it.
Jun 22, 2019 9:48 AM

Apr 2019
jasotaku said:
i think the next episode will be another filler about grisha. i'm the kind of people who don't like filler, but i really enjoyed it.

i think you do not understand the definition of filler

A filler is something that isn't part of the original source content's story and serves no purpose in order to further the main story.

These Episodes are part of the original source content therefore they aren't filler.

Hopefully this cleared up your misconceptions about the Definition.
If you don't understand anything else feel free to ask, we will be glad to explain it properly to you.
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 22, 2019 10:09 AM

Mar 2019
It's canon, not a filler
Jun 22, 2019 10:47 AM
May 2017
Nim0174 said:
jasotaku said:

i think you do not understand the definition of filler

A filler is something that isn't part of the original source content's story and serves no purpose in order to further the main story.

These Episodes are part of the original source content therefore they aren't filler.

Hopefully this cleared up your misconceptions about the Definition.
If you don't understand anything else feel free to ask, we will be glad to explain it properly to you.

Its cuz of anime like Naruto, Bleach, etc. People get so worked up when it comes to flashbacks that the word "filler",lost its meaning
Jun 22, 2019 11:02 AM
Jan 2019
Vindicater said:

No there are only 9 titans
The "eatint story" is just that if u want to take one of these 9 titans u need to eat his wielder
Jun 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Aug 2012
jasotaku said:
It’s not filler.
Jun 22, 2019 4:17 PM

Sep 2013
So wait, this is the big secret for how the Titans originated and how this world came about?

Did this show just rip off Claymore?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

» Question for the attack on titan fans

Mooogle - May 11

24 by Animesh007 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

736 by wibugar »»
May 9, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

346 by GengarGrinn »»
Apr 26, 6:15 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Apr 23, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.