Forum Settings
Forums

'Given' TV Anime Reveals Two Cast Members, Theme Song Performers

New
Jun 13, 2019 1:53 PM

Mar 2013

The official website for Lerche's TV anime adaptation of Natsuki Kizu's BL manga Given has revealed a new key visual (pictured), a promotional video, and two new characters and their designs on Thursday. The anime will premiere on Fuji TV's Noitamina programming block on July 12 at 12:55 a.m.

Ugetsu Murata: Shintaro Asanuma (Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?)

Hiiragi Kashima: Fumiya Imai (Diamond no Ace: Act II)

The opening song "Kizuato" will be performed by centimillimental, which is featured in the promotional video. The ending song "Mirutsuke" will be composed by centimillimental and performed by Shougo Yano (CV: Mafuyu Satou).

Hikaru Yamaguchi (Escha Chron) will helm the anime and Yuniko Ayana (The iDOLM@STER SideM) is in charge of the series composition.

Source: Comic Natalie
Sakana-sanJun 14, 2019 2:03 AM
Jun 13, 2019 2:05 PM
Jan 2019
looking forward to it ^^
Jun 13, 2019 6:20 PM
May 2007
I love group pictures like this, so much details to appreciate; that lap pillow.
I can't wait to hear Mafuyu singing. Just him speaking is chill-inducing to me.
Jun 13, 2019 6:56 PM

Feb 2019
That key visual is beautiful, can't wait to watch the anime
Jun 13, 2019 11:47 PM

Jan 2015
Looks good? Hopefully
Jun 14, 2019 2:15 AM

Apr 2012
Who read the original manga? Is it a good musical story or just an experiment with BL in a musical setting?
Jun 14, 2019 6:32 AM

May 2015
RobertBobert said:
Who read the original manga? Is it a good musical story or just an experiment with BL in a musical setting?

That is something I too would like to know. Judging by the trailer the story and their music will be to my liking, but I don't want to watch an anime with a lot more BL theme in it than there was for example in Banana Fish.
Jun 14, 2019 6:43 AM

Jun 2014
I'm a musician who plays the guitar, and I like BL, and I've been looking forward to this coming out, although I've never read the Manga.

But, after watching that PV, it honestly doesn't seem that interesting. If the music they play sounds anything like the music in the PV, I don't think I'm going to like it.

I'll give it a try, nonetheless, but I'll end up dropping it if I can't get into it, because to be honest, the characters don't look interesting at all.

Jun 14, 2019 6:58 AM
Nov 2013
Anhesenaton said:
RobertBobert said:

That is something I too would like to know. Judging by the trailer the story and their music will be to my liking, but I don't want to watch an anime with a lot more BL theme in it than there was for example in Banana Fish.

So the original story is centered on music/how it affects the characters like any other music anime/manga. The romance in it just happens to be gay, I'm staying away from the word BL for this, because the main couple doesn't follow any BL tropes(but we're both guys, aggressive advances, etc) it's a slice of life more than musical but I wouldn't say it's just a dash of music with mostly BL, since the music plays a huge part.

If banana fish was too much BL theme, this definitely will be too much, considering the anime will be about them looking at eachother in a direct and clear romantic way, instead of censoring/downplaying the feelings of characters like BF's anime did^^
Jun 14, 2019 7:21 AM

May 2015
Emsuny said:
Anhesenaton said:

So the original story is centered on music/how it affects the characters like any other music anime/manga. The romance in it just happens to be gay, I'm staying away from the word BL for this, because the main couple doesn't follow any BL tropes(but we're both guys, aggressive advances, etc) it's a slice of life more than musical but I wouldn't say it's just a dash of music with mostly BL, since the music plays a huge part.

If banana fish was too much BL theme, this definitely will be too much, considering the anime will be about them looking at eachother in a direct and clear romantic way, instead of censoring/downplaying the feelings of characters like BF's anime did^^

Thanks for the answer! I will give it a try. If their romance doesn't be expressed "physically" a lot of times and there don't be exaggeratedly caricature-like feminin gay characters in it I will handle it somehow.
IshitatesoJun 14, 2019 7:36 AM
Jun 14, 2019 7:47 AM

Feb 2019
Looks interesting, I'm really looking forward to this

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 14, 2019 7:56 AM

Apr 2012
Emsuny said:
Anhesenaton said:

We can talk for a long time about homoeroticism in Fish, but in this case I did not mean "if it is too gay, then I will not watch". I would lie if I said that I want to watch this show because of the romantic subplot, but in this case, I would like to see a story that reveals it as part of the life of the characters and other stated themes of the plot, and not just as romantic fanservice.
Jun 14, 2019 5:14 PM
Nov 2013
RobertBobert said:
Emsuny said:

We can talk for a long time about homoeroticism in Fish, but in this case I did not mean "if it is too gay, then I will not watch". I would lie if I said that I want to watch this show because of the romantic subplot, but in this case, I would like to see a story that reveals it as part of the life of the characters and other stated themes of the plot, and not just as romantic fanservice.

No problem, i understand^^ and it's definitely not a fanservice type of romance, it's pretty much the exact same as any other heterosexual romance in school anime, pure, lighthearted and youthful, it just happens to be gay, and the music definitely is important to everyone and the romance connects through it in a natural way. To be honest, I don't have too many expectations for the anime, but I strongly recommend reading the manga.
Jun 14, 2019 5:17 PM
Nov 2013
Anhesenaton said:
Emsuny said:

Thanks for the answer! I will give it a try. If their romance doesn't be expressed "physically" a lot of times and there don't be exaggeratedly caricature-like feminin gay characters in it I will handle it somehow.

You're welcome^^ and i agree, it's very rare to find BL manga, even rarer to find anime, that doesn't portray gay characters as harmful stereotypes, thankfully this one doesn't. Sort of a spoiler, but this story has one of my favourite "coming out" conversations, where someone is told directly that they aren't weird or abnormal for liking who they do, it's a very sweet and sometimes somber romance^^ i just hope the anime can capture the tones well- fingers crossed^
Jun 14, 2019 5:19 PM

Apr 2012
Emsuny said:
RobertBobert said:

No problem, i understand^^ and it's definitely not a fanservice type of romance, it's pretty much the exact same as any other heterosexual romance in school anime, pure, lighthearted and youthful, it just happens to be gay, and the music definitely is important to everyone and the romance connects through it in a natural way. To be honest, I don't have too many expectations for the anime, but I strongly recommend reading the manga.

In that case, I definitely should try this anime. Of course, it don't be the male version of Yagatte Kimi ni Naru, but I hope that I will like it.
Jun 14, 2019 6:57 PM
Mar 2019
This show will be amazing!!
Jun 14, 2019 7:01 PM
Mar 2019
Anhesenaton said:
RobertBobert said:

And what is the deal if will be BL theme on this? Banana Fish is awesome, and you look like aprecciate GL, so why not watch BL? Aff
Jun 14, 2019 7:08 PM
Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Emsuny said:

In that case, I definitely should try this anime. Of course, it don't be the male version of Yagatte Kimi ni Naru, but I hope that I will like it.

Why do you say "of course" will be not the male version of Yagate Kimi ni Naru? Given looks like a amazing history, and be so good as YagaKimi. Plus, Banana Fish has a homoerotical theme, but this was author intention, and the own main characters have a not explicit relantionship. Besides, all the story is very nice and revolutionary.
Jun 14, 2019 7:15 PM
Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Emsuny said:

Part of my last comment supposed to be for this kkkkkkkk Banana Fish part. Also, if you watch shoujo-ai themes, why don´t watch shounen-ai themes? I am not say explicity this is your case, but in general, this people who watch GL and have this prejudice with BL really pisses me off. Such a hypocrites.
Jun 14, 2019 9:33 PM

Aug 2008
Luisito14 said:
RobertBobert said:

Part of my last comment supposed to be for this kkkkkkkk Banana Fish part. Also, if you watch shoujo-ai themes, why don´t watch shounen-ai themes? I am not say explicity this is your case, but in general, this people who watch GL and have this prejudice with BL really pisses me off. Such a hypocrites.

cus not all like a subgenre if watch the other
i one i do not watch shoujo-ai ...but watch/read shounen-ai
i usually don't like the female characters
some books destroy mylove for the girls :):) in animes,mangas, movies :):) and books ;p
if are strong as lead i watch although
The spider is watching
Jun 14, 2019 10:22 PM

May 2015
Luisito14 said:
Anhesenaton said:

And what is the deal if will be BL theme on this? Banana Fish is awesome, and you look like aprecciate GL, so why not watch BL? Aff

If you know that I appricate GL shows that means you have clicked on my profile and browsed through the scores I have given to the anime in my list. In that case you had to see that I gave 7/10 to Banana Fish, but that is not a low score in my case since I gave my absolute favourite GL anime Yagate kimi ni Naru an 8/10, and similarly I gave 8/10 to my favourite GL manga Girl Friends. Only one point difference and that one point doesn’t come from the fact that BF deals with boys love. I have given to bromance-like shows like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 10/10 or Sakamichi no Apollon 9/10 so in my case its clearly not homophobia that makes me shun the avarage BL anime (I even reading a book now that features gay characters), but what makes me careful when it comes to watching a BL anime is rather that how those gay characters are depicted in an average show. The effeminate, mincing fujoshi fanservice stock-gay-characters are those that makes my hair stand on end because in reality most of the gays are not like those caricatures (I have to admit that I too am a bit stereotypical in this view because it comes from mostly watching trailers of those anime and reading comments and not directly from watching a lot of BL shows) I am not talking of BF now, in that case I have more problem with Ash super-hero blond prince-sama-like attributes and some other cliches, but that is an other story not something I want to discuss in this thread. So when I said I didn't want "a lot more BL theme in it" it was a bit misunderstandable because I kept my comment curt not having the patience to explain what kind of story I want to avoid. But anyway I don't want to hide the fact that I am more interested in GL than in BL and I am not keen on watching two boys kissing with each other without there being other things in the story that pique my interest (like Shinsekai yori did and I didn't have problem with the kissing scene in it), but why would be that a problem? It doesn't mean much more than that I am more interested in josei than shounen.
IshitatesoJun 15, 2019 12:03 AM
Jun 15, 2019 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
@Luisito14 Did I say somewhere that I have a prejudice about BL?
Jun 15, 2019 5:22 AM
Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:

Just for clarify the question. Sorry, anyway.
Jun 15, 2019 5:25 AM
Mar 2019
dany_elle1908 said:
Luisito14 said:

cus not all like a subgenre if watch the other
i one i do not watch shoujo-ai ...but watch/read shounen-ai
i usually don't like the female characters
some books destroy mylove for the girls :):) in animes,mangas, movies :):) and books ;p
if are strong as lead i watch although

To me, is just parcel prejudice. In homosexual relantionships, you give a chance to one, but not to the other.
Jun 15, 2019 5:46 AM
Mar 2019
Anhesenaton said:
Luisito14 said:

If you know that I appricate GL shows that means you have clicked on my profile and browsed through the scores I have given to the anime in my list. In that case you had to see that I gave 7/10 to Banana Fish, but that is not a low score in my case since I gave my absolute favourite GL anime Yagate kimi ni Naru an 8/10, and similarly I gave 8/10 to my favourite GL manga Girl Friends. Only one point difference and that one point doesn’t come from the fact that BF deals with boys love. I have given to bromance-like shows like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 10/10 or Sakamichi no Apollon 9/10 so in my case its clearly not homophobia that makes me shun the avarage BL anime (I even reading a book now that features gay characters), but what makes me careful when it comes to watching a BL anime is rather that how those gay characters are depicted in an average show. The effeminate, mincing fujoshi fanservice stock-gay-characters are those that makes my hair stand on end because in reality most of the gays are not like those caricatures (I have to admit that I too am a bit stereotypical in this view because it comes from mostly watching trailers of those anime and reading comments and not directly from watching a lot of BL shows) I am not talking of BF now, in that case I have more problem with Ash super-hero blond prince-sama-like attributes and some other cliches, but that is an other story not something I want to discuss in this thread. So when I said I didn't want "a lot more BL theme in it" it was a bit misunderstandable because I kept my comment curt not having the patience to explain what kind of story I want to avoid. But anyway I don't want to hide the fact that I am more interested in GL than in BL and I am not keen on watching two boys kissing with each other without there being other things in the story that pique my interest (like Shinsekai yori did and I didn't have problem with the kissing scene in it), but why would be that a problem? It doesn't mean much more than that I am more interested in josei than shounen.

I m not going to talk about the grades, because there´s no necessity. Next point, there´s a lot of stories about BL which are not stereotypical, and are awesome. Second, many GL shows is just fanservice for men (for not use another word), and have terrible stories, if would have, so this is a problem about both, just not for BL. And least, you really would give more chance for other side, not just for GL. Appreciate your own gender. Hugs.
Jun 15, 2019 5:55 AM

Apr 2012
Luisito14 said:
RobertBobert said:

I have no problems with homosexual characters, if their sexuality is portrayed openly, and not used as ambiguous teasing for fans of gay and lesbian as a "fetish". The only exception may be a show like YuruYuri, where moe-yuri is used to parody the cliché of the genre.
Jun 15, 2019 6:14 AM

May 2015
Luisito14 said:
Anhesenaton said:

I m not going to talk about the grades, because there´s no necessity. Next point, there´s a lot of stories about BL which are not stereotypical, and are awesome. Second, many GL shows is just fanservice for men (for not use another word), and have terrible stories, if would have, so this is a problem about both, just not for BL. And least, you really would give more chance for other side, not just for GL. Appreciate your own gender. Hugs.

Yes, there are some horribly low quality GL anime (Citrus, Sakura Trick etc.) and I have seen more average, and subpar shoujou ai and yuri shows than good ones. We don't have a disagreement about this. And, as you may have noticed, I am giving a chance to the other side, that is why I am asking about this show. ;) Hugs.
Jun 15, 2019 7:15 AM

Aug 2008
Gee why ppl you debate others taste choices? and try to force yours into theirs.
Others like GL others BL, is like any other genre o.o
I do not force people watching BL, cus is like GL only that are men ...and viceversa.

Is what i understood through all this talk here
The spider is watching
Jun 15, 2019 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
Sounds good to me. They keep teasing the bit where you will first hear Mafuyu sing and it is killing me. The panels for that scene in the manga are beautiful.
Jun 15, 2019 2:08 PM
May 2019
At least it is not a toxic BL like the rest
Jun 15, 2019 3:48 PM
Mar 2019
Anhesenaton said:
Luisito14 said:

Yes, there are some horribly low quality GL anime (Citrus, Sakura Trick etc.) and I have seen more average, and subpar shoujou ai and yuri shows than good ones. We don't have a disagreement about this. And, as you may have noticed, I am giving a chance to the other side, that is why I am asking about this show. ;) Hugs.

Rsrsrs okay then. I understood. Hugs and be fine.
Jun 15, 2019 3:54 PM
Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:
Luisito14 said:

I have no problems with homosexual characters, if their sexuality is portrayed openly, and not used as ambiguous teasing for fans of gay and lesbian as a "fetish". The only exception may be a show like YuruYuri, where moe-yuri is used to parody the cliché of the genre.

Yes, me too. I saied that because I thought you maybe were one of this persons with lesbian fetish. Sounds like I was wrong. Sorry and hugs.
Jun 15, 2019 3:58 PM
Nov 2013
Savasvania said:
Sounds good to me. They keep teasing the bit where you will first hear Mafuyu sing and it is killing me. The panels for that scene in the manga are beautiful.

Same!! I cannot find anything on his VA aside from a very heavily autotuned song from a previous idol anime, not that that's really credible here. Just from the manga, i imagined Mafuyu to have a very emotional voice like TK from Ling Tosite Sigure, i doubt it'll be like that, but I hope he's good^
Jun 15, 2019 4:01 PM

Apr 2012
Luisito14 said:
RobertBobert said:

Yes, me too. I saied that because I thought you maybe were one of this persons with lesbian fetish. Sounds like I was wrong. Sorry and hugs.

No problem, I am not accusing you of anything. Simply, I myself often like to criticize people who claim to be LGBT-friendly, but in fact just love gay content with the opposite sex.
Jun 15, 2019 4:07 PM
Mar 2019
dany_elle1908 said:
Gee why ppl you debate others taste choices? and try to force yours into theirs.
I do not force people watching BL, cus is like GL only that are men ...and viceversa.

It´s because I'm a gay boy. And when you are part of a minority, you see the inequality. And how much representativity is important. When you see in a video media, finally a story representing you, what is rare, and peopple starting to boycott, just because of theme, it hurts. And hurts even more, when you see which in other side (GL), people don t see this problem. To me, sounds hypocrity, and makes me sad. Besides, we can hava amazing stories, anyway.
Jun 15, 2019 9:29 PM

Aug 2008
Luisito14 said:
dany_elle1908 said:

It´s because I'm a gay boy. And when you are part of a minority, you see the inequality. And how much representativity is important. When you see in a video media, finally a story representing you, what is rare, and peopple starting to boycott, just because of theme, it hurts. And hurts even more, when you see which in other side (GL), people don t see this problem. To me, sounds hypocrity, and makes me sad. Besides, we can hava amazing stories, anyway.

i have many friends gay and even girls, they know my taste in reading/watching ..is not like i apply this in reallife tooo.0 [here spraking mostly of me]
my best friend is a slave submissive in BDSM and guess what he runs from girls like are hot oil

to me straight, gay ...i do not like female characters in a fictional word...
don't mistunderstood... i have no issue with GL, for me i see same like BL, which is something beautiful, but as a fictional story... is different. Damn those Mary Sue characters that killed my love for females. Although some real straight female friends i had did that too o.o

dany_elle1908Jun 15, 2019 9:34 PM
The spider is watching
Jun 25, 2019 2:08 PM

Mar 2009
RobertBobert said:

Complicated to describe... It's more a story about how people connect through music and music is used as a dramatic point versus band contests, etc, but that's because it's more of a 'slice of life drama series about the members'. I'd say it's a pretty good story, I was actually surprised it was getting an adaptation because it's a story I'm happy to see adapted/a few friends of mine who didn't read a lot of manga had actually read.

It's definitely a story about a band, and about grief, and about music, and about a sweet gay romance.
ClaptrapJun 25, 2019 2:12 PM
Jun 26, 2019 4:12 AM

Apr 2012
Claptrap said:
RobertBobert said:

Complicated to describe... It's more a story about how people connect through music and music is used as a dramatic point versus band contests, etc, but that's because it's more of a 'slice of life drama series about the members'. I'd say it's a pretty good story, I was actually surprised it was getting an adaptation because it's a story I'm happy to see adapted/a few friends of mine who didn't read a lot of manga had actually read.

It's definitely a story about a band, and about grief, and about music, and about a sweet gay romance.

So, in this anime there will be some kind of drama, and not just music + gay?
Jun 26, 2019 11:38 AM

Mar 2009
@RobertBobert
Yes, there's some kind of drama. I won't spoil, but some of the characters are dealing with personal issues
Jul 18, 2019 9:44 AM

Nov 2007
11 Eps. (4 Vol.) Total
http://given-anime.com/bddvd/
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
32 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
35 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
57 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.