Forum Settings
Forums

When do you stop being considered a newbie in Anime?

New
Mar 13, 2019 9:14 AM
Feb 2018
Hi,

I was just wondering when you stop being considered a newbie in the medium of anime?

I also wanted to know if anyone knew the different stages/levels of anime fandom and what they represent.

Thank you for your response.
Mar 13, 2019 9:17 AM

Sep 2013
that's completely subjective, but my anwser would be at least 75~100 days worth of anime
Mar 13, 2019 9:20 AM

Feb 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VCkq0e2920 well I consider myself as a newbie but maybe this wiil help ?
Mar 13, 2019 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
I'd say after watching around 50 anime, however it is completely subjective.
Mar 13, 2019 9:24 AM

Apr 2017
I would say when you start to don't be surprised by things like ecchi scenes, I mean when you stop to say "wtf why there are tiddies in a chinese cartoon?"
Mar 13, 2019 9:25 AM

Apr 2017
I'm not sure, and why does it matter?
Mar 13, 2019 9:30 AM
May 2018
Once you start watching something else than shônens. Also, once you know the usual vocabulary related to anime (the genres, the tropes, even the expressions often used by the characters like the ways to say hi, or "NANI?!", ......).

I wouldn't say there are "stages of fandom", however you can consider yourself a veteran only once you've learned japanese by watching anime stuff xD.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Mar 13, 2019 9:34 AM
Nov 2018
When you understand why dio wanted to conqueror the world.
Mar 13, 2019 9:36 AM

May 2018
When you actually want to fuck 2D characters and make your own harem.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 13, 2019 9:38 AM

Jun 2011
Usually newbies tend to limit themselves to the mainstream so I'd say once you get over that and dive deeper. Once you get to the point where you know every trope in the book you can consider yourself experienced I guess.
I'm feeling thank you
Mar 13, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2009
supernicolasman said:
Hi,

I was just wondering when you stop being considered a newbie in the medium of anime?

I also wanted to know if anyone knew the different stages/levels of anime fandom and what they represent.

Thank you for your response.
I'd say it's really dependent on you feeling like you're actually able to talk to someone about anime.

And this in turn depends on who you want to talk to, and what you want to talk about.

"Anime" isn't one monolithic solid thing. It's actually a bunch of different genres, each of which has a bunch of shows, each of which has a little fandom, but these fandoms are united mainly by convenience because everyone to varying extents likes some Japanese pop culture and it's mutually beneficial to share info on it.

If you do hang around anime news sources for a while you will pick up on industry trends, which in turn can tell you about the industry and perhaps the fandom as a whole, but that's not necessarily going to tell you much about individual franchises and genres, which fans are generally more concerned with.

Similarly, if you watch a franchises or genre for long enough you'll become quite familiar with that.

You really shouldn't concern yourself too much with this question of whether you're a "newbie". Because it doesn't matter all that much, unless you plan on wading your way into internet arguments where people would try to press each other to prove that they're not "newbies"...which is a bad idea because getting involved in arguments on the internet is a bad idea anyway. Otherwise, there's generally no need to present yourself as an "experienced anime fan" (or whatever the antonym of newbie is) -- just talk about the anime itself, rather than using it as your token for social posturing.

As for "stages", there's at least one youtube video about this -- Gigguk's "Life Cycle of an Anime Fan", which someone else already posted -- but it's a very satirical video and not really representative of everyone's path through the fandom, but just people who interact/socialize with it in a specific way.

I'd say it's more like this:

1. Most people start off liking one or a handful of specific shows.

2. Then they talk to other people about those shows, and find out about more shows like those.

3. Assuming they keep going and end up watching all those shows, they'll gradually build up a list of assorted shows they've watched, and also find themselves talking with people about the broader topic of anime more often.

4. If you're talking about "anime fan" as a whole rather than just a specific series fan, then there's some point at which the person starts recognizing that they basically have too many different shows they've seen that they can't keep track of them in their head, and if they care enough, then they'll start doing things to help jog their memory...such as making a list of what they've seen. This is risky, because it can make individual series start to feel like "one of many" rather than "a special thing to me", but this point is also arguably the point at which a person starts seeing the entire anime medium as a thing that they think about categorically, rather than just about individual series.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 13, 2019 10:09 AM
May 2016
when you stop caring whether or not you're a newbie
Mar 13, 2019 10:29 AM

Aug 2018
1 - My personal opinion is +350 shows, there usually most people should understand what anime is about.
2 - This is subjective so there is no real anwser.
3 - Some people need less or some more, it depends on how smart they are.
4 - The most valuable thing that you can get from experience is knowing what the cliches are, getting jokes about other shows and apreciate art and animation better.

Mar 13, 2019 10:39 AM

Apr 2017
I would consider under 20 days new to the medium. 20-50 days you start to become knowledgeable, then 50 and above you are basically an anime connoisseur.
Mar 13, 2019 10:42 AM

Sep 2018
I would say people move on from being a newbie when they finished around 50 anime.
Mar 13, 2019 10:51 AM

May 2015
DaCraziGuy said:
1 - My personal opinion is +350 shows, there usually most people should understand what anime is about.

I have been watching anime for ten years now and it feels like I watch it regularly (2-10 episodes per week) and spend a lot of time with it (considering how much free time I have), still I have finished just 257 anime until now. It seems funny for me that I still have to watch five years worth of anime in the same pace to consider myself not to be a newbie.

IshitatesoMar 15, 2019 11:37 AM
Mar 13, 2019 10:57 AM

Jun 2016

I second this, was going to link it as well XD.
Mar 13, 2019 10:57 AM

Sep 2016

There are several factors and most of them are connected with how much time someone spent watching anime.
100+ days is the magic number for many, naturally lots of different genres.

ZarutakuMar 13, 2019 1:12 PM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Mar 13, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2019
:P well I was faster this time I guess :x
Mar 13, 2019 11:11 AM
Aug 2015
Anhesenaton said:
DaCraziGuy said:

I have been watching anime for ten years now and it feels like I watch it regularly (2-10 episodes per week) and spend a lot of time with it (considering how much free time I have), still I have finished just 257 anime until now. It seems funny for me that I still have to watch five years worth of anime in the same pace to consider myself being not a newby.

I watched 4k more episodes than you and I'm still a newbie. I have to watch 53 more shows :(
Mar 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Dec 2016
Sachyan said:

this. if you don't want to fuck 2d characters, you've clearly not watched enough anime. (body pillows are a bonus.)
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Mar 13, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2010
There's many different kinds of experience and knowledge you can have or lack as an anime fan. Different genres, common tropes associated with them, knowing about the history and the industry behind anime, knowing about studios, directors, voice actors, animators, writers, and many other aspects related to anime.

It's very hard to be experienced and knowledgable about every aspect of anime so it basically boils down to which aspects you value more highly in your definition of a 'veteran' fan compared to a newbie.

Is it purely about how much you've seen in total? How much you've seen per genre? How many different kinds of shows you've seen?

Or is it about how much you know about anime and the people making them?

Who's more of a newbie, the guy having seen 500 anime but who doesn't know who Tezuka is, or the guy who's seen 50 but knows a lot more about the medium? A guy who's watched 100 ecchi harems but never any other genre or a guy who watched 50 anime but from all across the board?

There really isn't any clear answer to that question. The best I can come up with is that the majority of anime fans are neither newbies nor veterans once they've seen at least a few dozen titles, but in some middle ground instead where they know some stuff based on what they've seen but there's usually even more things related to the medium that they don't know anything about (genres outside their range, older stuff, industry stuff etc...).
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 13, 2019 11:13 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Dunno.. when you start searching for some specific Anime instead of just watching whatever is currently mainstream/popular ? Basically be not bound by "trends" and watch stuff unrelated to trends or age.

And I guess the point where you are more used to all sorts of tropes and "weirdness" Anime has without reacting like some normie, who starts attacking "weird stuff" as it's end of the world whilst being unable to comprehend that it's fiction.

TBH I have no idea what could be called "anime newbie" .... I discovered Anime, kept watching and watching. And still do...
Mar 13, 2019 11:19 AM

Feb 2018
-It's when I stop judging every show I see
-stop labeling everything out there as sh!t tier
-watch them for enjoyment, not just for the sake of completing/collecting

But hey, it's all completely subjective. Just tread in your own way. You'll be fine, and it's going to be fun as well.
Mar 13, 2019 11:19 AM

Nov 2016
Some people here have delusional standards shaped by MAL, at least in my humble opinion. Or think not newbie = dedicated fan for years.

A newbie is someone who has just started out. Watch a decent amount of show's(preferably from different genres and decades), inform yourself a bit about aspects related to the industry and voilà, you won't be considered a newbie anymore.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 13, 2019 11:24 AM

Nov 2016
İ think you are not a newbie after you stop watching anime and give a break for the first time.
Mar 13, 2019 11:39 AM
Dec 2016
It's when you know all the tropes, get all the memes and refrences (Eg: "It was me, Dio!" or "Don't loose your waay"). This is the level you can find all the newer or casual audience and once beyond this, you can call yourself a true weeb veteran. At this stage there are people who have read through manga of all famous titles, the Lightnovel and webnovel readers, guys who know the ins and outs of Mushishi and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, the VN elites.

After the newbie level you'll develop a taste of your own and go over to a sub-section of the industry. There's no better or worse here, the collcetion is so vast that its humanly impossible to cover it all (as an example, just the Clannad and Fate VNs may take weeks to complete)

tl;dr: When you realise that Darling in Franxx and Shield Hero aren't the top anime, discover not-so-famous titles like Ashita No Joe, Saiki and Kara No Kyoukai and delve deeper into anime/manga/LN/WN/VN. You can safely say you're far beyind the newbie point
Mar 13, 2019 11:46 AM

Feb 2013
newbie is relative
if you talk to someone who things Shinsekai yori is obscure you will seem like a cool and experienced senpai, but if you talk to someone with a kilometric list its going to be the opposite
Mar 13, 2019 11:48 AM

May 2009
Kil-Kun said:
It's when you know all the tropes, get all the memes and refrences (Eg: "It was me, Dio!" or "Don't loose your waay"). This is the level you can find all the newer or casual audience and once beyond this, you can call yourself a true weeb veteran.
Honestly, I think that this criterion is not so much "experienced fan" and more just "jaded fan".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Mar 13, 2019 12:01 PM

Jan 2017
It's subjective, but I guess it is after you got a bit more into the culture. Like, even if you haven't watched some shows, you still know about them. Idk, my friends consider me some sort of anime guru, while I might seem like a nweeb here or something.
Mar 13, 2019 12:04 PM
Apr 2018
When i finished Monogatari series. That's not something newbie would watch.
Mar 13, 2019 12:38 PM
Dec 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Kil-Kun said:
It's when you know all the tropes, get all the memes and refrences (Eg: "It was me, Dio!" or "Don't loose your waay"). This is the level you can find all the newer or casual audience and once beyond this, you can call yourself a true weeb veteran.
Honestly, I think that this criterion is not so much "experienced fan" and more just "jaded fan".

Okay, well I won't call that a necessary criteria. But seeing how people are discovering anime through memes this should have a a stake in introducing people and having them move beyone newbies
Mar 13, 2019 12:43 PM

Aug 2015
When you start trying to cheat in exam using your sharingan.
Mar 13, 2019 12:47 PM

Nov 2014
Sachyan said:
my number of waifu fucking is an ass long list :)
Mar 13, 2019 12:52 PM

Jan 2017
Once you know who Boruto's dad is. It's a long road ahead
Mar 13, 2019 1:00 PM

Jul 2017
imo a newbie isn't only unfamilar with anime titles, their genres, generic anime elements
but also the culture within anime community, and the way anime impacted them as both a medium and a hobby
I think I've stopped being a newbie anime fan since I got into psychological/thriller anime, and at time, I've watched enough anime and I was able to form my own opinions on different anime according to my own taste, standards and my affinity to these anime, or how much i can relate to them
respectively, as I watch more and more anime, I began to understand more about anime culture and I've started interacting with other anime fans too, so we've been exchanging opinions, information and such
as such, my critical thinkin skills (for reviewing anime and understanding different anime elements and anime as a whole) were bettered

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 33 minutes ago

15 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
1 minute ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 17 minutes ago

2 by Caciulacdlac »»
1 minute ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

75 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you experience how good or bad the characters situation or experience is too

deg - 7 hours ago

18 by Catalano »»
9 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

65 by -YaoiBoy- »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.