Forum Settings
Forums

Anime is not escapism, modern objectivity is the real escapism!

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 28, 2019 7:00 AM

Jul 2014
alshu said:
Safeanew said:

Responsibility is not something someone can impose on you.
Responsibility is a respons to something, something one chooses oneself.

Thus I choose to send you the bill from my therapist after he deals with my fears of being wrong.
A bit materialistic I know but makes me more optimistic about my psychic condition.

Well the materialistic happens with or without responsibility and that is why fiction functions as space to truly explore and face the implications of those materialistic things, because you can for example explore the idea of what would one do if those restrictions where not there.
Feb 28, 2019 7:07 AM

May 2018
Safeanew said:

Well the materialistic happens with or without responsibility and that is why fiction functions as space to truly explore and face the implications of those materialistic things, because you can for example explore the idea of what would one do if those restrictions where not there.

I will tell him to add this to my medical history too.
Feb 28, 2019 7:15 AM

Aug 2014
Fyi escapism is simply the pejorative version of distraction.
Feb 28, 2019 7:17 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:
KreatorX said:
Well uh.. anime is escapism for me, lol.

Anything that lets me mentally detach from regularly thinking about how to survive the next day and in the future is escapism for me.

I don't think about taxes or deadlines while I am busy playing a video game or watching pretty 2D animated persons interact with each other.

Taxes and deadlines are quite abstract things that makes many lose sight of both reality and fiction, what truly matters is taking in not just the small goals in life but the wider array of meanings hidden in every corner of the world.
While true if you miss them you pay the consequences, but what is it you truly desire, to just function in society?

Small goals and large goals are themselves pretty arbitrary terms to be honest. You may be forgetting that there are people who struggle to make ends meet. All the plethora of meanings tucked into the world can surely exist, but uncovering that comes later. It won't hurt to think of it but it has very little importance when it comes to making ends meet.

True desire is living out a happy and content life despite the shit you pull through. Speaking of fiction, anything that allows you to rejuvenate your stressed out mind and lift your spirits, and succeeds at doing so is the escapism I am talking about.

Describing escapism as a means of escaping from thinking itself (why do you have to make it sound so confusing, lol), I take it that you are speaking of mere reflection/pondering over the contents expressed in anime?

Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 7:24 AM

Nov 2014
Anime isn't escapism, just as a room isn't escapism. That doesn't mean you can't use that as a form of escapism from your real problems, be it by watching anime or hiding in your room refusing to go out.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 28, 2019 7:24 AM

Jul 2014
Hanamuke said:
Fyi escapism is simply the pejorative version of distraction.

That is a great point, why would one distract oneself by facing something else?
That is because one don't want to face any of them!
The only escapism/distraction is not facing fiction or reality.
My point is that what I call modern objectivity, is the real escapism.
Anime in comparison holds a position of responsibility when dedicating ones attention to it.
Feb 28, 2019 7:30 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Taxes and deadlines are quite abstract things that makes many lose sight of both reality and fiction, what truly matters is taking in not just the small goals in life but the wider array of meanings hidden in every corner of the world.
While true if you miss them you pay the consequences, but what is it you truly desire, to just function in society?

Small goals and large goals are themselves pretty arbitrary terms to be honest. You may be forgetting that there are people who struggle to make ends meet. All the plethora of meanings tucked into the world can surely exist, but uncovering that comes later. It won't hurt to think of it but it has very little importance when it comes to making ends meet.

True desire is living out a happy and content life despite the shit you pull through. Speaking of fiction, anything that allows you to rejuvenate your stressed out mind and lift your spirits, and succeeds at doing so is the escapism I am talking about.

Describing escapism as a means of escaping from thinking itself (why do you have to make it sound so confusing, lol), I take it that you are speaking of mere reflection/pondering over the contents expressed in anime?

Why should the goal be living a happy life?
I am depressed and that drives me to fight for the values I believe in.
What I also mean by thinking is that it is ok to be unhappy.
Why should one not be unhappy when one have to all the time try to survive and told that that's just how society works.
One should dream big and also accept it may be impossible to achieve ones dream but try to anyway because that is what one strives for.
Feb 28, 2019 7:33 AM

Apr 2017
Anime is the most solid part of my life so I don't feel the need to escape from something with the same thing

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Feb 28, 2019 7:34 AM

Jul 2014
Viltas said:
Safeanew said:

Reallity itself is only experienced as illusion, we are only small fragments of society, no one can see the whole picture.
Just living in society is giving up the idea of changing society.

True, on the worldwide map we are only tiny little dots. But with the body of a tiny little dot you can conquer the world!

Well that is my point, but that is also the reason why one should take fiction seriously and not dismiss it as some sort of escapism.
Feb 28, 2019 7:36 AM

Jul 2014
BurningSpirit said:
Anime isn't escapism, just as a room isn't escapism. That doesn't mean you can't use that as a form of escapism from your real problems, be it by watching anime or hiding in your room refusing to go out.

I will twist that little by saying that the only escapism is the fear of escapism.
Feb 28, 2019 7:39 AM

Jul 2014
Kuraya said:
Anime is the most solid part of my life so I don't feel the need to escape from something with the same thing

That is a great point!
What would say anime is for you more then your life?
Feb 28, 2019 7:47 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:
KreatorX said:

Why should one not be unhappy when one have to all the time try to survive and told that that's just how society works.
One should dream big and also accept it may be impossible to achieve ones dream but try to anyway because that is what one strives for.

Sorry to hear about your depression. Hope you manage to push through it.

My goal in life is living a happy life because I feel good about myself when I can tackle everyday activities, from the mundane to the complex in the best of spirits. I function/perform poorly when I am not in my best mental state, keeping in mind the range of negative thoughts begin to foment. Not okay for me.

I am not here to lecture you on how to live your life because the definition of life is hard to explain the second you bring in this variable called 'purpose'. Sure, one could dream big but I personally would do it as long as it makes me happy along the way. At this point, it really depends what you are looking for (and I feel this has strayed away from the topic of the discussion you brought up) - You want others to validate your big dream or if you want to satisfy yourself. To be fair, neither thought process is better than the other.

You can guess which camp I am from :)
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 7:54 AM

Apr 2017
Safeanew said:
Kuraya said:

That is a great point!
I don't understand the question, could you rephrase it ?

Feb 28, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Sorry to hear about your depression. Hope you manage to push through it.

My goal in life is living a happy life because I feel good about myself when I can tackle everyday activities, from the mundane to the complex in the best of spirits. I function/perform poorly when I am not in my best mental state, keeping in mind the range of negative thoughts begin to foment. Not okay for me.

I am not here to lecture you on how to live your life because the definition of life is hard to explain the second you bring in this variable called 'purpose'. Sure, one could dream big but I personally would do it as long as it makes me happy along the way. At this point, it really depends what you are looking for (and I feel this has strayed away from the topic of the discussion you brought up) - You want others to validate your big dream or if you want to satisfy yourself. To be fair, neither thought process is better than the other.

You can guess which camp I am from :)

Well the topic of anime is quite broad so I don't see this as straying from the topic.
I can say I am sort of the opposite of you in that I don't see any goal in happiness and also I started this thread partly to lecture people on the way they speak.
I want to help people accepting unhappiness if they are unhappy because unhappiness is truly a gift of freedom.
Feb 28, 2019 7:59 AM

Jul 2014
Kuraya said:
Safeanew said:

That is a great point!

Sorry, yeah I wrote it wierd.
What I mean is what do you desire in anime?
Feb 28, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:

Well the topic of anime is quite broad so I don't see this as straying from the topic.
I can say I am sort of the opposite of you in that I don't see any goal in happiness and also I started this thread partly to lecture people on the way they speak.
I want to help people accepting unhappiness if they are unhappy because unhappiness is truly a gift of freedom.

Well, you started off by asking what anime is to me and then we started talking about the implications of living life :P

Through the comments you insinuate that one must take anime seriously and not call it escapism. Did I get that right? If I did, then I can never take anime seriously since I can very easily draw the line between reality and fiction, especially after having crawled out of what's equivalent to a NEET like lifestyle.

If that unhappiness I felt was a gift of freedom, I would rather not go through it again. lol

In anycase, this is all arbitrary talk. Escapism needs to be redefined to have a common ground to start discussing from. I clearly don't see eye to eye with you on the topic of escapism so I cannot appreciate the angle you are approaching from.
KreatorXFeb 28, 2019 8:06 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 8:06 AM

Apr 2017
Safeanew said:
Kuraya said:

That's kinda vague in its own
I don't think I can make this sound original, the basics are good story and characters and well animation since it's a visual medium
What I particularly want from anime is strong and complex conceptual structures (ex: Steins;Gate and Fate)
But not only, basically I want something I can think about, I love thinking you see

Feb 28, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Well, you started off by asking what anime is to me and then we started talking about the implications of living life :P

Through the comments you insinuate that one must take anime seriously and not call it escapism. Did I get that right? If I did, then I can never take anime seriously since I can very easily draw the line between reality and fiction, especially after having crawled out of what's equivalent to a NEET like lifestyle.

If that unhappiness I felt was a gift of freedom, I would rather not go through it again. lol

The question I am asking is why can't you face both reality and take anime seriously.
I don't think your NEET like lifestyle was a simple mistake but truly says something more about the society you live in or more specifically the desires you may have given up on by a system that do not care about such things.
Feb 28, 2019 8:15 AM

Oct 2018
All anime is to me is a side hobby. I spend more time looking at fan art than i do watching actual Anime. So, if anything, art is my true escapism.
Feb 28, 2019 8:18 AM

Jul 2014
Kuraya said:
Safeanew said:

I don't think I can make this sound original, the basics are good story and characters and well animation since it's a visual medium
What I particularly want from anime is strong and complex conceptual structures (ex: Steins;Gate and Fate)
But not only, basically I want something I can think about, I love thinking you see

Wow that is great, yeah I can relate to loving thinking and seeing structures in anime.
Don't worry about sounding original, the great thing is to repeat what you think is great because I claim that is true originality.
Feb 28, 2019 8:21 AM

Jul 2014
wwdbtWP9 said:
All anime is to me is a side hobby. I spend more time looking at fan art than i do watching actual Anime. So, if anything, art is my true escapism.

Why do you call it escapism, do you not respect art as something that matters in reality?
Would you say burn all art because it is a waste of time?
Feb 28, 2019 8:25 AM

Jul 2014
avdx101 said:
I read a few of OP's posts in this thread and I feel like scratching my head.
This whole thread seems to be a rabbit hole, with OP messing with the meaning of already defined concepts.
No objectivity here, old or modern or whatever, just my subjective opinion.

Why not dive into a rabbit hole, that is what discussing is!
I am messing with the meanings I think is wrong, because in the end they often mean "I don't want to talk about this, can you just shut up!".
Feb 28, 2019 8:28 AM

Oct 2018
Safeanew said:

Why do you call it escapism, do you not respect art as something that matters in reality?

Obviously not.
I wasn't taking into account Modern Objectivity because it's philosophical nonsense.
But i guess if you're going to twist my arm and force me to give my insight on such topic, i shall.

If you wanna get into context with your objectivity, we have to look into subjectivity and Intrinsicism too. In all honesty, art would fall into the category of Subjectivity because it appeals to everyone differently.

Subjectivism holds that truth, in effect, resides only in the mind. For a subjectivist, a particular statement can be true for one person and false for another, based solely on one’s mental choices, subjective processing, or emotions.

Feb 28, 2019 8:37 AM

Jul 2014
wwdbtWP9 said:
Safeanew said:

Obviously not.
I wasn't taking into account Modern Objectivity because it's philosophical nonsense.
But i guess if you're going to twist my arm and force me to give my insight on such topic, i shall.

If you wanna get into context with your objectivity, we have to look into subjectivity and Intrinsicism too. In all honesty, art would fall into the category of Subjectivity because it appeals to everyone differently.

Subjectivism holds that truth, in effect, resides only in the mind. For a subjectivist, a particular statement can be true for one person and false for another, based solely on one’s mental choices, subjective processing, or emotions.

That is a great point!
I am agaisnt the position that truth is personal, one should face fiction because that is the path of true scientific reasoning.
Their is no objective position who can see the whole, the only way to grasp a part of the whole is to accept the very failure of seeing the whole.
Feb 28, 2019 8:41 AM

Jul 2014
avdx101 said:
Safeanew said:

Why not dive into a rabbit hole, that is what discussing is!
I am messing with the meanings I think is wrong, because in the end they often mean "I don't want to talk about this, can you just shut up!".

Think for a moment what would happen if everyone would change the meaning of concepts they thought are wrong. We wouldn't be able to understand each other anymore.

About the topic, of course not everyone watches anime to escape reality. People have their own reasons and motivations. Also, escapism can't be always seen as a bad thing, with socially akward dudes living in their own worlds. A little bit of escapism, as in getting your mind off problems for a while, can actually help in solving them. When you get to it again, you could tackle them in a different way, with a new perspective.

The point I am making is that it is impossible to understand each other, that is why we should change meanings to try to understand each other.

My other point is that the very reality you are talking about is an escape from fiction.
From truly facing the horror of truth.
Feb 28, 2019 9:03 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:

The question I am asking is why can't you face both reality and take anime seriously.
I don't think your NEET like lifestyle was a simple mistake but truly says something more about the society you live in or more specifically the desires you may have given up on by a system that do not care about such things.

Ah okay, the answer to why I can't take anime seriously is rather straightforward. I don't see drawings or pixels as real people. This is pretty much the reason why I am detached to anything shown in anime or in videogames (be it from violence, senseless murder, sexualized caricatures of just about everything). It is what it is, fiction.

Fiction is a place where I let my mind relax and wander loose, switching off all worries. I certainly feel no concern while I go trampling people in GTA 5 nor do I feel a shred of remorse while I turn people against each other in Skyrim, nor do I even bat an eyelid about the controversial elements present in shows like Goblin slayer or Shield Hero.

tl;dr -> pixels and drawings have no real feelings :)
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2014
avdx101 said:
Safeanew said:

The point I am making is that it is impossible to understand each other, that is why we should change meanings to try to understand each other.

My other point is that the very reality you are talking about is an escape from fiction.
From truly facing the horror of truth.

Allright. First, I don't agree with the changing the meaning part. To understand each other we need consensus on the meanings, not divergence.

Second, I need to know what you mean by ''reality is an escape from fiction'' and what is ''the horror of truth'' in this context. I'm really trying to follow here, but to me this sounds like complete psychobabble. Help me out a little.

I am for conflict, the only discussion is a diverging discussion.
Consensus means not understanding each other.

The horror of truth means that we don't want to accept truth because the truth hurts.
This is related to the fact that the only honest emotion is angst, that is the emotion of freedom.
Angst tells us when we are in an open situation, when anything can happen bad or good things.
Feb 28, 2019 9:27 AM

Apr 2018
After reading most of the OP's replies to the comments, all i'm gonna say is...i want a hit of whatever he's smoking.
Feb 28, 2019 9:27 AM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Ah okay, the answer to why I can't take anime seriously is rather straightforward. I don't see drawings or pixels as real people. This is pretty much the reason why I am detached to anything shown in anime or in videogames (be it from violence, senseless murder, sexualized caricatures of just about everything). It is what it is, fiction.

Fiction is a place where I let my mind relax and wander loose, switching off all worries. I certainly feel no concern while I go trampling people in GTA 5 nor do I feel a shred of remorse while I turn people against each other in Skyrim, nor do I even bat an eyelid about the controversial elements present in shows like Goblin slayer or Shield Hero.

tl;dr -> pixels and drawings have no real feelings :)

In games we are free to act on our true desire, because it is not real.
It is not accepted to act like that in real life, but in fiction it is ok because it is not real.
I am of course not for killing for killing sake.
But their is nothing wrong in accepting that one has the desire to kill people even if it only amounts to killing pixels in a videogame.
Feb 28, 2019 9:28 AM

May 2016
Oh great, you're reminding me of that Jordan Peterson guy with your vague yet overbearing babble on meanings and truth... And I don't like it, STOP.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 28, 2019 9:29 AM

Dec 2017
*completely ignores the vast majority of the isekai out there which are specifically escapism*

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 28, 2019 9:31 AM

Jul 2014
Stygian_Prisoner said:
After reading most of the OP's replies to the comments, all i'm gonna say is...i want a hit of whatever he's smoking.

Well it is easy really, just start thinking about it and listen to what I say and you will get there too.
Feb 28, 2019 9:33 AM

Jul 2014
HyperL said:
Oh great, you're reminding me of that Jordan Peterson guy with your vague yet overbearing babble on meanings and truth... And I don't like it, STOP.

Please don't compare me to him, I beg you!
Feb 28, 2019 9:37 AM

Jul 2014
Tommeow said:
*completely ignores the vast majority of the isekai out there which are specifically escapism*

Don't you think there is something very telling in the fact that there is so many isekai coming out.
I think one should take isekai very seriously to follow what is going on even if one hates them.
Escapism don't even scratch the surface of what isekai means.
Feb 28, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2017
Safeanew said:
Tommeow said:

Don't you think there is something very telling in the fact that there is so many isekai coming out.
I think one should take isekai very seriously to follow what is going on even if one hates them.
I'm just stating that the point of the majority of isekai is escapism, that if you weren't born in our world your obsessions with games, anime, etc would be useful. If the amount of isekai is indicative of anything it's that otaku still haven't learned anything from Evangelion.

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

Feb 28, 2019 9:45 AM

May 2016
Safeanew said:
HyperL said:

Maybe stop trying to encapsulate meaning and truth while pushing your construct of them onto other people and the comparisons will naturaly vanish.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Feb 28, 2019 9:49 AM
May 2015
Safeanew said:
Chapesek said:
I didn't really thought about anime in terms of escapism
For me it's something where can i have a good time

Why do you have a good time with anime?
What is good about anime?

Well anime gives me emotions that i cant get irl in terms of feels
And positives about anime are that i expand my imagination or see something i could never see in my life
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2019 10:16 AM

May 2013
Safeanew said:

It is not accepted to act like that in real life, but in fiction it is ok because it is not real.
But their is nothing wrong in accepting that one has the desire to kill people even if it only amounts to killing pixels in a videogame.

Hm, I do feel that you are trying to prod at a very nuanced point but don't know how to explain better -> here's how it is for me:- I don't feel the urge or compulsion to kill people in real life, because I don't want my hands dirty. However I have definitely felt the urge to mow down some pixels in a videogame, because I have no fear of repercussions. What's the worst that could happen? a computer crash :D

I have accepted this difference in my urges when it comes to reality and in fiction. Escapism is just the term given to it, you are free to do and consume anything in fiction without repercussions.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Feb 28, 2019 10:20 AM

Apr 2017
The deeper implication is that my life is shit, every day I'm more miserable, but whenever I actually have the energy and mood to watch anime, I can temporarily escape / be distracted from that via said medium. That, is escapism.
Feb 28, 2019 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
I think the problem is how people attach a "bad" meaning to the word escapism. Not all escapism is bad. Just like all things, there's good and there's bad escapism. It all depends on how that affects you.

And yes, most anime is mere escapism. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, your reasoning doesn't make any sense. Drop the pretension a bit.
Feb 28, 2019 10:23 AM

Apr 2017
Safeanew said:
Kuraya said:

Wow that is great, yeah I can relate to loving thinking and seeing structures in anime.
Don't worry about sounding original, the great thing is to repeat what you think is great because I claim that is true originality.
that's a nice view of originality, you might be right

Feb 28, 2019 10:35 AM

Sep 2016

By the definition of escapism on wikipedia, watching Anime is 100% escapism, along with many other activities.

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Feb 28, 2019 11:56 AM

Apr 2018
Safeanew said:

Well it is easy really, just start thinking about it and listen to what I say and you will get there too.

Heh, what a pretentious lunatic.

Thanks, but i don't think i'm actually interested in "getting" to wherever it is you are.
Feb 28, 2019 12:04 PM

Jul 2014
avdx101 said:
Safeanew said:

I am for conflict, the only discussion is a diverging discussion.
Consensus means not understanding each other.

The horror of truth means that we don't want to accept truth because the truth hurts.
This is related to the fact that the only honest emotion is angst, that is the emotion of freedom.
Angst tells us when we are in an open situation, when anything can happen bad or good things.

There's a long way from a diverging discussion to diverging meaning of words.
To use anime as a form of escapism doesn't mean you can't accept the truth, you just need a break from it.
Be honest to us and yourself and tell me you have never honestly felt anything but angst. All the others are just simulated or what?

I'll have to get out of this thread since this is either over my head or just some sort of weird philosophy and I tend to be a more ''feet on the ground'' type.

The other emotions are real emotions, but they lie about ones desire.

Words meanings are not fixed, they change based on context and use.

Having your "feet on the ground" is the sort of escapism I am talking about, it usually means that you don't want to think about what is not in front of you, the wider context of why things are like they are.
Feb 28, 2019 12:05 PM

Mar 2015
I'd say it deeply depends for me. I'd say things like One Piece are deeply escapist to me: while there is an element of discussion surrounding the concepts of freedom and authority, it's really not so deep, and it's not supposed to be! I'd say that and Jojo have got to be my big choices for anime that I just watch because they're great fun distractions (and also motivate me to work out lmao).

Other anime I'd say are much less escapist. As an Urobuchi fanboy I have to cite Fate/Zero and Psycho-Pass, and stories like Berserk and Steins;Gate could even qualify. While these anime do have escapist potential due to their cool worlds and beautiful visuals, I would argue that their grim nature dampens this. Instead, I like these anime because they create potential for discussion and I don't feel that they speak down to the viewer. There are always arguments that could be explored and belief systems to be applied. I don't think of these as escapist anime.
Feb 28, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2013
bruh gimme a tip because what ur smoking is REALLY GOOD
I . A M . D E A D !  C O N T I N U E ?

INSERT COIN

Feb 28, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2014
HyperL said:
Safeanew said:

Maybe stop trying to encapsulate meaning and truth while pushing your construct of them onto other people and the comparisons will naturaly vanish.

Well continue with the comparison then, because pushing my principles onto others is part of my principles.
Feb 28, 2019 12:16 PM

Jul 2014
Tommeow said:
Safeanew said:

I'm just stating that the point of the majority of isekai is escapism, that if you weren't born in our world your obsessions with games, anime, etc would be useful. If the amount of isekai is indicative of anything it's that otaku still haven't learned anything from Evangelion.

What should they learn from Evangelion?
That part of isekai's is not bad, your knowledge from fiction is useful, why do you think they force you to read in school except to practice language. What is the point in reading fictional storys in school if one don't learn anything from them.

What I would criticize more with isekai's is many have poor world building, only telling a very main character centric story, but that have interesting implications of it's own.
Feb 28, 2019 12:24 PM

Jul 2014
KreatorX said:
Safeanew said:

Hm, I do feel that you are trying to prod at a very nuanced point but don't know how to explain better -> here's how it is for me:- I don't feel the urge or compulsion to kill people in real life, because I don't want my hands dirty. However I have definitely felt the urge to mow down some pixels in a videogame, because I have no fear of repercussions. What's the worst that could happen? a computer crash :D

I have accepted this difference in my urges when it comes to reality and in fiction. Escapism is just the term given to it, you are free to do and consume anything in fiction without repercussions.

My point is similar to the point that there is a difference between commiting oneself to something and just rationalising something.
This rationalising of things like "it's just a game" or "it's just fiction" avoids thinking about the implications the story, the characters, every word they say have on reality and also about yourself and why you and many others are drawn to those particular storys.
Feb 28, 2019 12:28 PM

Jul 2014
PrincessMeiMei said:
The deeper implication is that my life is shit, every day I'm more miserable, but whenever I actually have the energy and mood to watch anime, I can temporarily escape / be distracted from that via said medium. That, is escapism.

My point is calling it escapism is the real escapism.
What is so bad about being miserable except that it hurts like hell.
If you want to run, run with all your power, until you can stop and think about what you really want.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is your waifu self-aware of her beauty?

KryzakamiHrybami - 36 minutes ago

3 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are The Mysterious Play, Colour Cloud Palace and Raven of the Inner Palace not as popular as The Apothecary Diaries ?

KingSunWukong - Mar 25

23 by Lucifrost »»
4 minutes ago

» Animes that where well made, but just did not do well?

Zoopiez - 4 minutes ago

0 by Zoopiez »»
4 minutes ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

23 by Lucifrost »»
6 minutes ago

» when was the last time you truly fell in love with a character and vice versa?

ame - May 24

21 by Shizuna »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.