Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2019 2:59 PM
Mar 2018
Just watched the first episode...BLOODY HELL!!! It was terrifying! Proper horror that's about atmosphere, building tension and suspense. No gore, no shock factors just amazing camera angles, brilliant storytelling, and perfect music scores for a blood-chilling 1st episode. Fuck, I nearly shat myself, what a way to start a series with a BANG!
Jan 9, 2019 3:01 PM
Aug 2018
At first I thought it was going to be a predictable anime (don't need to be a genius to know Conny was dead) but then THAT twist that nobody expected, Japan won't stop surprising me.
Jan 9, 2019 3:04 PM
Nov 2016
Someone noticed that the title of this episode is a bunch of numbers (at least at crunchyroll), someone know what they mean? Is it one of the orphans numbers or might be some kind of code?
Jan 9, 2019 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
i'm gonna go on a huge hype train and call this Anime of the year already
Jan 9, 2019 3:16 PM
Aug 2015
Kbldo said:
Someone noticed that the title of this episode is a bunch of numbers (at least at crunchyroll), someone know what they mean? Is it one of the orphans numbers or might be some kind of code?
it's a count down, more specifically the time that is missing for an event. The episode title is 12102045, now separate that and 12/10/2045.
Jan 9, 2019 3:19 PM

Nov 2008
I figured death would play a big part in this series... I just didn't expect it to be basically this:
Jan 9, 2019 3:31 PM
May 2017
Pretty cool. Because of the MAL synopsis i already knew what to expect.
Jan 9, 2019 3:37 PM

Mar 2013
Their faces will haunt me in my nightmares but the story is good. altough the plot twist was kind of easy to predict.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Jan 9, 2019 4:06 PM

Oct 2008
Why did they ruin good animation by slapping blur filters onto every frame, including the foreground elements? Why the moving backgrounds like this was a bad 3D video game... Seems kind of interesting, hoping the plot is going to make up for how badly turned around my stomach and eyes are from the abuse of the animation.
Jan 9, 2019 4:09 PM

Aug 2015
I'm caught up in the manga, but I may watch this just for the music. The OP is my favorite (so far) of the season, narrowly beating out Dororo's. And the OST was great for this episode, pretty good start for the composer's first anime.
Jan 9, 2019 4:12 PM

Dec 2014
YESSS! Fantastic adaptation, I'm so happy this turned out the way it did.

Production was on point, animation, art and the soundtrack especially towards the end was brilliant. Cloverworks brought their A game to this. I hope this continues getting this treatment.
Non CG demons, uncensored content, atmosphere and tension building. Everything I wanted is here.

Do we know how many episodes this is? If it's just one cour I'm guessing they'll just adapt the first arc which is 37 chapters long which means they might have to rush through certain parts. I just hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. 2 cours would be great but I'm guessing they'd prefer to end the anime right after the first arc for maximum impact.

I have high expectations Cloverworks, don't let me down.
Jan 9, 2019 4:15 PM
May 2018
Stark700 said:
Ooh that opening song is gorgeous. I love it!

The animation quality looks good and the first half introduced a good amount of characters. The way they protrayed the innocence of the children like Conny made this episode even more thrilling to watch.

And the truth revealed...poor Conny.

I'm ready for a wicked ride this season even if it's just a 1-cour. Loved the soundtrack/OST too.

You should tag that as spoiler for the ones that havent watched the episode. I have, but i care about others that havent watced it yet.
Enjoy life to the fullest weebs
Jan 9, 2019 4:16 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good episode,I really want to see where the story is going.

Btw is the voice actor of the black haired kid the same voice actor that voiced Killua because they sound very similar.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jan 9, 2019 4:19 PM
Aug 2018
I have been waiting for this anime for a long time. I am very happy with how the first episode was adapted. Even though, the twist was sorta obvious, I know this series has a bright future. One of the best of the season.
Jan 9, 2019 4:24 PM

Oct 2018
This is probably one of the best first episodes I've seen. I love the characters, the premise and how it's been presented so far. Definitely looking forward to this series and it seems as though it might become one of my favourites.
Don't you hate it when there's too much water?
Jan 9, 2019 4:45 PM

May 2015
I honestly imagined Ray and Norman's voice different. Way different, and nothing feminine-like. It'll take some time to get used to that. But wow, that was a great first episode. That dead Conny looked so creepy, it could give you the chills. Loving the OST already as well. Hopefully they'll do the manga justice.

Jan 9, 2019 4:47 PM

May 2015
I've never read the manga, the only thing I knew about this was that it was dark so I went into the first episode pretty much blind.

Honestly, I thought the first episode was amazing. Even though it was obvious that the upbeat atmosphere at the start was misleading, just knowing something was gonna happen made me so tense. I felt like I was on the edge of my seat waiting for something to happen, but never knowing when it was gonna happen. The discovery wasn't a let down whatsoever. Also, the reactions of Emma and Norman underneath the car were so good!

I'm sure people can find lots of faults with this episode, but personally I can't fault it at all. Really looking forward to more.

♡ artist
サコ
Jan 9, 2019 4:51 PM

Dec 2016
OMG what did I just watched? o_o" what a shocking revelation! Those poor children ;A; I hope they can all escape safely, but I somehow feel that some of them won't make it ;_; Karma will turn against moma at the end of this series, I'm sure of it! >_> That evil cold-hearted witch must pay for deceiving and manipulating all those innocent children! It makes me want to watch it till the end.

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Jan 9, 2019 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
remember when buzz was starting to make rounds for this i had checked out the manga only got around to reading the first chapter so this was 1:1 to it and the animation is on point.

hopefully it's good i've heard the early parts are as it goes with most shounen's with later arcs getting weaker but hey if it's a 2 cour should be a solid time
Jan 9, 2019 5:05 PM

Apr 2015
  • That was brutal and creepy, but very predictable. I mean, even a people who didn't read the manga, probably predicted that.
  • Animation is decent and soundtrack is amazing, so i will probably keep watching this.
Jan 9, 2019 5:11 PM

Nov 2012
Man CloverWorks are killing it with their first show of the year. Hope they keep up the momentum. Also that UVERworld opening is probably the best I've heard in quite some time. I liked their opening for BNHA, but this one just blows it out of the water.
PlantzJan 9, 2019 5:14 PM
Jan 9, 2019 5:20 PM

Mar 2018
Finally get to see this masterpiece being animated. Loving the OST right now! :D
"Those that break the rules and regulations are scum. But those who abandon their friends are even worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
Jan 9, 2019 5:32 PM
Nov 2018
It was good to see that the demons were not CGI. There were scenes that change, Don's voice is annoying(for me)but i dun blame the VA. And the ed was great.

Edit: it's nice to see that some still likes the op.
KiriRin_196Jan 9, 2019 5:39 PM
Jan 9, 2019 5:54 PM
Jan 2017
I jumped from my chair while watching just like i did with the manga. This is frickin awesome.
Jan 9, 2019 5:57 PM

Feb 2018
A fantastic first episode , the last scene gave me goosebumps damn
Jan 9, 2019 5:58 PM

Aug 2015
hhhhmmm that was pretty good! Though this story has been done so many times I'm kind of sick of it. Also, what's up with their faces? Their mouths are not placed correctly it looks like their faces are too small for their heads lmao.
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Jan 9, 2019 7:03 PM

Mar 2009
OMG poor Conny. I knew something was going to happen, but still. Depressed right now. She was so cute and didn't want to leave everyone. T__T

That was a great start. Dark, sad, and downright creepy at times. The atmospheric music fit the tone perfectly, and that OP by Uverworld is awesome.

On a side note, interesting how Amazon doesn't have exclusive rights to The Promised Neverland, considering it's Noitamina. Either the deal is over, or it's just for this season since The Promised Neverland seems like a hot property. Pretty cool that The Promised Neverland is airing on the Noitamia block. Clearly, not your typical Shonen Jump series. Obviously.
Jan 9, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2015
SHOOK INTENSIFIES
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Jan 9, 2019 7:14 PM
Apr 2012
Welp, I guess I'm vegan now.
Jan 9, 2019 7:15 PM

Aug 2014
the OP is siiiiiiiiiiiick
Jan 9, 2019 7:17 PM
Dec 2017
Oh my... I absolutely loved this episode! I already want to watch the next one!
Jan 9, 2019 7:25 PM
Oct 2017
"Dark secret"
*Show cover has kids being delivered on a platter*

I WONDER WHAT HAPPENS
Jan 9, 2019 7:49 PM

Aug 2016
Without needing to see the other chapters, for my prediction it will be the best anime of the season :D
Jan 9, 2019 7:49 PM
Sep 2014
I was not spoiled to anything before seeing this episode. Yet I saw the whole human processing thing coming from a mile away due to the numbers on the childrens' necks. That obviously meant the kids' caretakers did not think of them as humans. In this case... they are raised as food or merchandise to be traded/sold. I wasn't surprised by the reveal but the atmosphere during that moment was superbly executed. It felt extremely intense when they were hiding from those alien monster creatures. If the anime continues to deliver on the quality seen in the 1st episode then this will be a very entertaining watch. I'm hoping that there will be a big focus on strategy and outsmarting the enemy as the anime is illuding towards.
Jan 9, 2019 7:51 PM

Dec 2018
You want to know my review
*Cue Tears*
This anime show is stunning!! From opening song to end!! it when by so fast.
I love all cute characters; I think it be hard for side characters to get starlight; but ever character had moment where you fall in love with them and want to protect them.
Even the fifteen minutes of fame that Connie had.👀😭
Feel free to check my anime list profile and my twitter account The Future Is Ani1!! For all things anime!! I hope you have great day!!
Jan 9, 2019 7:52 PM

Mar 2010
well time to rewatch the cat anime again

how the hell did they run away with the demons and the mom ib front of the door
StardewJan 9, 2019 11:53 PM
Jan 9, 2019 7:52 PM

Dec 2018
Suduha said:
the OP is siiiiiiiiiiiick

I think it will get Naruto level of success because of how well it is.
Feel free to check my anime list profile and my twitter account The Future Is Ani1!! For all things anime!! I hope you have great day!!
Jan 9, 2019 7:54 PM

Dec 2016
Amazingly well done first episode, adapted the manga brilliantly imo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 9, 2019 7:56 PM

Dec 2018
Mormegil said:
OMG poor Conny. I knew something was going to happen, but still. Depressed right now. She was so cute and didn't want to leave everyone. T__T

That was a great start. Dark, sad, and downright creepy at times. The atmospheric music fit the tone perfectly, and that OP by Uverworld is awesome.

On a side note, interesting how Amazon doesn't have exclusive rights to The Promised Neverland, considering it's Noitamina. Either the deal is over, or it's just for this season since The Promised Neverland seems like a hot property. Pretty cool that The Promised Neverland is airing on the Noitamia block. Clearly, not your typical Shonen Jump series. Obviously.

I hope they don't hype people; then take away the rights to potential season 2 on other streaming sites! because that be so unfair! Amazon is lease anime streaming service; but withholding this series will probably make me buy there service though lol.
Jan 9, 2019 7:58 PM

Dec 2018
PurpleGirl203 said:
OMG what did I just watched? o_o" what a shocking revelation! Those poor children ;A; I hope they can all escape safely, but I somehow feel that some of them won't make it ;_; Karma will turn against moma at the end of this series, I'm sure of it! >_> That evil cold-hearted witch must pay for deceiving and manipulating all those innocent children! It makes me want to watch it till the end.

You quote just how I feel lol.
Jan 9, 2019 7:59 PM

Jan 2017
These facial expressions remind me of the Higurashi anime
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I can see why some people were disappointed by the hype in this first episode. I think where the manga started was a better intro than the hook they used in this episode, but I understand that anime and manga are consumed differently so they need to have some sort of hook for the anime, whereas for manga, people usually will finish at least the first chapter before deciding whether or not to continue. But because of the hook, you've got people saying that it's predictable, as if it wasn't supposed to have been with all the hints. The most important part of twist hasn't even been noted in the comments so far (okay maybe not most important), which you can guess from the first episode and chapter. Not trying to spoil anything, just pointing out that it's easy to say things are predictable when the actual less predictable parts which you can figure out through hints and foreshadowing haven't been pointed out yet by anime-only watchers. There's a lot of things you can discuss from the information gathered in this episode alone, but no one is talking about them :(

Anyways, I don't think the first episode was the best start to the series, but I still really enjoyed it. Very happy to see that the monsters are drawn out instead of 3D, the eye movements were creepy. The directing is great for the darker scenes, but I could do without the quite often used screaming into the scenery. Really not fond of that. Especially because if Emma screamed like that, wouldn't Isabella hear it...or the other kids. But damn, that cut to Isabella holding Conny's bunny was very well done. Looking forward to the next episode :)
The Komori

Mar 2013
Lelouch0202 said:

Production was on point, animation, art and the soundtrack especially towards the end was brilliant. Cloverworks brought their A game to this. I hope this continues getting this treatment.
Non CG demons, uncensored content, atmosphere and tension building. Everything I wanted is here.

Do we know how many episodes this is? If it's just one cour I'm guessing they'll just adapt the first arc which is 37 chapters long which means they might have to rush through certain parts. I just hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. 2 cours would be great but I'm guessing they'd prefer to end the anime right after the first arc for maximum impact.

Only 1 cour unfortunately, but we'll see how they handle it nonetheless
Jan 9, 2019 8:00 PM

Dec 2018
Lelouch0202 said:

Apparently it just 12 episodes 😭
though maybe that is good thing since my heart can't take anymore. lol
Jan 9, 2019 8:06 PM
Jul 2015
TheDarkMGames said:
Well, the twist was painfully obvious, I guessed it as soon as I saw the numbers on their necks, and the opening was a waste of a good song with well animated but pretty uninspired visuals, but other than that it was fine. I don't really like the characters, but the music, the atmosphere and the facial expressions in the last few minutes are great. The voice acting was just ok during most of the episode but towards the end it improved, I could really feel the fear they were feeing.

A 7.5/10 so far.

I think this anime adaptation is suffering from bad pacing which is messing with the atmosphere, also the color values aren't working so well for the atmosphere either, but I felt that the manga was going for more "strong foreshadowing" whereas the anime adaptation was trying for the plot twist, with the result being a failed plot twist reveal. I also think ideal pacing for this show was sacrificed in order to fit in the reveal at the end of episode 1.
Jan 9, 2019 8:08 PM

Jun 2015
that was an amazing first episode, holy shit
Jan 9, 2019 8:12 PM

Dec 2010
That was fun. I like the way the monsters look. Very interesting. I've got lots of questions, hopefully they all get answered. I see a lot of people were disappointed because they pay attention to hype or because they saw the horror aspect coming. Wow, y'all are Sherlock Holmes aren't ya? Maybe hype makes anime less enjoyable for you, so maybe stop paying attention to it. Life is better when you have no clue what is hyped and what isn't. I went in blind and I liked it. Yeah, I could tell that there would be kids dying from early on in the episode but I wouldn't call that a bad thing at all. It's revealed in the first episode ffs. There's plenty of foreshadowing before it's revealed too. The number of idiotic discussions already started on this series is ridiculous. Calm down with your burning disappointment and wait for more episodes or just don't watch.
Jan 9, 2019 8:14 PM

Mar 2009
TheFutureIsAni1 said:
Mormegil said:

I hope they don't hype people; then take away the rights to potential season 2 on other streaming sites! because that be so unfair! Amazon is lease anime streaming service; but withholding this series will probably make me buy there service though lol.

I think it'll be okay. Since it started out streaming on most platforms, a potential S2 would most likely be the same thing. Aniplex would want the most eyes as they can possibly get on The Promised Neverland and, again, I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but clearly something's up with the exclusive deal between Amazon and Noitamina. Also, the Animeism block ended their exclusive deal with Amazon as well, so...yeah. Seems like anime on Amazon just wasn't that successful as they had hoped, even if Amazon is still getting shows. They have Dororo and Kemurikusa this season. So, yeah, I think everything will be fine.

The problem is, Noitamina doesn't do sequels too often...
Jan 9, 2019 8:29 PM

Oct 2015
That was a chilly episode, but I really enjoyed it. It seems to be those dark anime and art is very nice. The episode got me intrigued for what's next. Because anime guys (yeah, boys) like cute things and harem shit, I doubt they will appreciate the realism and horror this anime will contain. Our world has gone stupidly wack and tedious with that kind of sensitivity, that's why studios are making us trashy anime these days.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 9, 2019 8:58 PM

Jan 2018
Seems promising im interested in it
Pages (12) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I'm in a dilemma help ( 1 2 )

Saphhh - Mar 25

51 by EpicAlphaMale »»
Apr 1, 1:40 AM

» Best Season of Anime Ever?

bigeli2020 - Jul 18, 2022

47 by Zimmu »»
Mar 25, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2019

567 by Sus_baby »»
Mar 25, 12:53 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2019

295 by Yanarsen »»
Mar 4, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Yakusoku no Neverland Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2019

245 by WuzWutz »»
Feb 22, 7:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.