Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 8, 2019 12:01 PM

Dec 2016
KatjieKat said:
Hi, this is my second year participating, hoping to complete it.
I was wondering if someone can recommend me anime for the following items:
Item #16: Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is as a human child
Item #17: Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field
Item #26: Watch an anime with a full English title
Item #30: Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors

I also want to try my hand at making banners for the challenge and was wondering what the appropriate size for banners are.

Thanks for any help and good luck to everyone participating!

16: Usagi Drop or Kaze no Matsubosou (Movie)
17: No clue unless you haven't watched March Comes in Like a Lion yet...
26: Anything to do with Ghost in the Shell
30: Again, no clue sorry
Jan 8, 2019 12:02 PM

Jul 2014
riyuurin said:
Hi! Sorry if this was asked before, but can I use Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu for '(N.17) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field' and put Yakumo Yuurakutei as rakugo performer?
Yes, it's valid for this item.

riyuurin said:
Also, another dumb question 'Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total' applies to series and not just movies?
Yes, the combined length of all episodes must be 16 minutes or more.

DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
I know that it was already asked, but I just wanted to clarify, does the tag "Written by MAL Rewrite" denote that this anime can be used for "(N.28) Watch an anime that finished airing with more than 10 episodes and has a synopsis by MAL Rewrite?" I know this seems obvious, but I wanted to be extra careful.

Is AnoHana okay for this one since it has "Written by MAL Rewrite" in the synopsis?
Yes, that's one of the way for finding these anime.

DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
Also, for the "Watch an anime in which your favorite character's voice actor participated," do English voice actors apply too? I know this all seems pretty obvious, but I thought I'd clarify before making any changes.
If it's in MAL database, it's counts.
Jan 8, 2019 12:02 PM

Dec 2016
riyuurin said:
Hi! Sorry if this was asked before, but can I use Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu for '(N.17) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field' and put Yakumo Yuurakutei as rakugo performer? Also, another dumb question 'Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total' applies to series and not just movies?

Yes and yes. Rakugo is a profession and 16 minutes does apply to anime series.
Jan 8, 2019 12:03 PM

Dec 2016
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
I know that it was already asked, but I just wanted to clarify, does the tag "Written by MAL Rewrite" denote that this anime can be used for "(N.28) Watch an anime that finished airing with more than 10 episodes and has a synopsis by MAL Rewrite?" I know this seems obvious, but I wanted to be extra careful.

Is AnoHana okay for this one since it has "Written by MAL Rewrite" in the synopsis?

Also, for the "Watch an anime in which your favorite character's voice actor participated," do English voice actors apply too? I know this all seems pretty obvious, but I thought I'd clarify before making any changes.

Yes for the first one, don't know about the second.
Jan 8, 2019 12:04 PM

Nov 2018
quick question.. do OVAs, ONAs, Specials count?

For example : N.02) Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less

and I simply watched 009 Re:Cyborg x Zip
Jan 8, 2019 12:04 PM

Dec 2016
(Me trying to be helpful but a mod gets there first... oops. Sorry for the extra pings...)
Jan 8, 2019 12:05 PM

Dec 2016
ShockZz said:

For example : N.02) Watch an anime with 10 or more episodes that are each 15 minutes or less

I used Aggretsuko OVAs last year so it should be OK
Jan 8, 2019 12:06 PM

Jul 2014
ShockZz said:

Unless item asks for specific type of anime, any anime in MAL database counts.
Jan 8, 2019 12:19 PM

Oct 2007
@SheyCroix , will there be banners that match the previous four years' main banners? As in, the banners displayed in my profile, for example. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I would really like for my banners to continue to match and to not include any anime characters...

Thanks for your help!
Jan 8, 2019 12:25 PM

Feb 2015
Kuromii said:
@SheyCroix , will there be banners that match the previous four years' main banners? As in, the banners displayed in my profile, for example. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I would really like for my banners to continue to match and to not include any anime characters...

Thanks for your help!

Hey, I posted the 2 for anime and 2 more for manga with this year
Its the last post on the previous page
Hope you like it
Jan 8, 2019 12:28 PM
Prideful Demon

Oct 2016
GDHM39 said:
KatjieKat said:
Hi, this is my second year participating, hoping to complete it.
I was wondering if someone can recommend me anime for the following items:
Item #16: Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is as a human child
Item #17: Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field
Item #30: Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors

I also want to try my hand at making banners for the challenge and was wondering what the appropriate size for banners are.

Thanks for any help and good luck to everyone participating!

#16:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35078/Mitsuboshi_Colors
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6574/Hanamaru_Youchien?q=kinder
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35078/Mitsuboshi_Colors
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9919/Ao_no_Exorcist Okumura, Yukio-teacher lol..
https://myanimelist.net/anime/22789/Barakamon Calligrapher actual a profession
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6956/Working Chef satou
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32948 what I used last year
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6956/Working
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37349/Goblin_Slayer?q=gobli
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36649/Banana_Fish?q=bana
https://myanimelist.net/anime/13601/Psycho-Pass
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28223/Death_Parade?q=par
for some reasons if you search for harem/ slice of life or sports animes you will find many
https://myanimelist.net/anime/7088/Ichiban_Ushiro_no_Daimaou
https://myanimelist.net/anime/477/Aria_The_Animation

Thank you for the suggestions, really appreciate it.
Jan 8, 2019 12:29 PM

Oct 2007
Riqueplast said:
Kuromii said:

Thanks for your help!

Hope you like it

Oh, thanks a bunch! Those are very helpful, but I was actually referring to these:

and so on... they're all very much matching, and to break the streak since 2015 would be quite sad...
Jan 8, 2019 12:31 PM

Nov 2015
Just another quick question. Can i delete the challenges I'm not doing. For example, if I've already planned out my 20 challenges for Novice, can I delete the rest from the post?
Jan 8, 2019 12:33 PM

Jun 2014
If anybody's interested in a spreadsheet to plan their AWC I just finished half-ass-converting @i_yuuko-chan's 2018 spreadsheet for this year and added some functionalities.

- Name parsing from URL
- Unfulfilled items are striked if section if completed
- Page 2 is a single cell ready to copy in the sign-in post

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12pk_48vOEQLW6yFGrR-UIfy8-mF9viizB8t3tcxoZxQ/edit?usp=sharing

LordessMeep said:

1. Is there a challenge generator or an excel sheet where we can potentially plan out the anime to watch? Or did I miss it in the rules section?

This may be what you were asking for.

NB: The tests are quarter-assed so PM me if something is supposed to work and doesn't so I can tell you it's a feature
DyspJan 8, 2019 10:43 PM
Jan 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Oct 2013
Kuromii said:
Riqueplast said:

Hope you like it

Oh, thanks a bunch! Those are very helpful, but I was actually referring to these:

and so on... they're all very much matching, and to break the streak since 2015 would be quite sad...

OOOOOH I agree so much with this! having a character on the badges just ruin the AWC showcase we have since some years with those badges
Jan 8, 2019 12:39 PM

Feb 2015
Kuromii said:
Riqueplast said:

Hope you like it

Sorry, my bad.... since I saw the one on your signature I was thinking that you meant the others.
Jan 8, 2019 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
riyuurin said:
Just another quick question. Can i delete the challenges I'm not doing. For example, if I've already planned out my 20 challenges for Novice, can I delete the rest from the post?
Yes, you can delete them.

(character limit)
Jan 8, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
Okay two questions

"Watch an anime with 2 or more main characters where one is as a human child "

I imagine this wont be an issue, but what if the series has several kids under the age of 12 listed as main characters?

"Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field"

Will Sugimoto from Golden Kamuy count for this, he's a professional soldier
Jan 8, 2019 1:20 PM

Feb 2015

You mean like abstract backgroud right? How about this one? I can try to do some this week and upload by the weekend

[]
Jan 8, 2019 1:43 PM
May 2015
aaaaaah hello ^^ sorry if this is a dumb question but i have no idea what to do for n.31 for the novice difficulty. i dont even know what this tropes thing is can someone please help me understand TT
Jan 8, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2016
(Ap.03) Watch the last movie of a Movie-Series

Could anyone explain to me what this means? "last movie"
Can I just watch any from the whole list?
Jan 8, 2019 1:53 PM

Jun 2008
If we successfully complete the challenge with two official restrictions, will both of them be listed or will we have to pick only one title? I am definitely shooting for the Master of Drama title, but also tempted by the TV only restriction as well. I wanted to ask early on before potentially wasting my time. If life gets hectic, I am going to have to choose.

Thank you!

Good luck everyone~
Jan 8, 2019 2:01 PM

Jul 2007
Hi. Where can I find a full list of the bbcode colors* that we can use on MAL Forums? (*colors with associated names)

And for that item:

[*]The colors used for the list can be to your liking, but please avoid using colors that are too light (like this), too bright (like this) or colors too dark (like this). Don't use black at all.

Should be great a list with the voided colors.

ps: thanks for the reply Frayl.
lphJan 8, 2019 4:03 PM
Kt -sA-

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 8, 2019 2:07 PM

Nov 2007
konomint said:
aaaaaah hello ^^ sorry if this is a dumb question but i have no idea what to do for n.31 for the novice difficulty. i dont even know what this tropes thing is can someone please help me understand TT

trope: a common or overused theme or device

you go on tvtropes website, click the "random trope" button that is up there and you will end up on a particulartrope site where you can find examples with anime in which you can find said trope...and you choose one and watch the anime. If there are no anime examples, click the random trope button again until you find it (but there usually always is at least one).

Ok, while I'm here...we are supposed to watch fave anime of active staff member. As long as we don't use one of those retired people are we fine? Because the person I chose was logged onto MAL for the last time in September, so I'm not sure if that counts as "active".
Jan 8, 2019 2:24 PM

Feb 2017
Might be a dumb question, but

13. Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or below 6.00
14. Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or above 8.00

Is it okay if the anime is only 1 episode?
Jan 8, 2019 2:31 PM

Feb 2008
Question: Would Gotoubun no Hanayome count for "(N.17) Watch an anime with a main character that is a professional in their field"?
He's a tutor, and he gets paid for it, but I just want to make sure.

(I'm mostly unsure about if being a tutor is a "profession", because it's referred to as a part-time job in the synopsis.)
tumblr is shawoltae!
Jan 8, 2019 3:00 PM

Jan 2018
So I read the Restriction Notes on the challenge sign-up thread, and I'm still a bit fuzzy on how this works exactly. I'd like to try and get the Angelic title, so could I get an example of what restrictions I'd have to use in order to get that title, and how I would format it on my Sign-In and Turn-In posts.
Jan 8, 2019 3:02 PM

Nov 2015
mozgow said:
riyuurin said:
Yes, you can delete them.

(character limit)

Thank you so much for all the help! ! !
Jan 8, 2019 3:19 PM

Jan 2012
lph said:
Hi. Where can I find a full list of the bbcode colors* that we can use on MAL Forums? (*colors with associated names)

You can find the name of the colors here : https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=141968
Jan 8, 2019 3:20 PM

Dec 2012
Just got a small question about color codes. Is it alright to use a different color for each level? For example, I was thinking of using each level's color for their respective completed items.

For example:
Novice for Novice
Apprentice for Apprentice (is this too bright?)
Jan 8, 2019 3:28 PM

Jul 2012
Guys, I have a question:
"(N.21) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged as Ecchi and/or Harem"
Does "reverse harem" counts or not? @-@

Jan 8, 2019 3:57 PM

Mar 2014
taynis said:
Guys, I have a question:
"(N.21) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged as Ecchi and/or Harem"

Amnesia for example has the Harem tag, so it should be fine. Just check the genres.
Jan 8, 2019 3:57 PM

May 2009
taynis said:
Guys, I have a question:

Of course, reverse harem is just harem for girls. And has a harem tag
https://myanimelist.net/anime/17513/Diabolik_Lovers
Jan 8, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2008
Looked through previous ones and have another slightly different question on

I want to used Drifters (OVA)

Would that be ok with the (OVA) part?
Thanks!
Jan 8, 2019 4:10 PM

Jul 2012
@protoplasm
@Shuichi2

Thank you! Gonna check them :D

Jan 8, 2019 4:20 PM

May 2015
Hello everybody. I have a question about this item:
(N.05) Watch a listed noitaminA or YATP series
I have no problem finding series that fall under that umbrella, however, this item asks for a "theme" and I am confused as to what this even means.

Thank you.
Jan 8, 2019 4:23 PM

Sep 2009
Olde-Jo said:
I have no problem finding series that fall under that umbrella, however, this item asks for a "theme" and I am confused as to what this even means.

Thank you.

noitaminA or YATP is the 'theme'. Just list one of the two that you're using. ^^
Jan 8, 2019 4:24 PM

May 2015
Apologies for the double post, however, I'd very much appreciate if someone could recommend me Anime for these items (preferably not too long):

(N.13) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or below 6.00

(N.28) Watch an anime that finished airing with more than 10 episodes and has a synopsis by MAL Rewrite

Much appreciated.
Jan 8, 2019 4:26 PM

May 2015
Kaylee_ said:
Olde-Jo said:

Thank you.

noitaminA or YATP is the 'theme'. Just list one of the two that you're using. ^^
Thank you ever so much, my friend. Glad to know it was something so straight forward.
Jan 8, 2019 4:52 PM

Nov 2014
Hello everyone!
I'm working on anime I'm planning to watch for the 2019 challenge. I need some confirmation about "30. Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors — excludes black, brown, blonde, red, white and gray (and most shades of it); it's either green, blue, pink, purple or orange "

Uta No Prince-sama got 2 main characters with dark blue hair but what about the hair color of the main girl? Is it orange? So can I use this anime to complete the 30 or not? Thanks in advance for the answer !

Jan 8, 2019 4:58 PM

Aug 2015
Hello ! o7

For anime requiring a duration higher than 16 minutes, we must follow this duration or follow the desired duration? I read your example
-- "Rushed", your anime would need to have less than 5 favorites and 15 minutes or less per episode.
but I'm not really sure anymore.
Jan 8, 2019 5:34 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
@AWC_mod FYI, I just made some minor adjustments with the banners, as there was something that didn't sit right with me when I inspected them again, that's why I edited my post.

Nothing else, thanks. \o/ I hope you'd add them to the banners list soon...
Jan 8, 2019 6:17 PM

May 2011
@Dysp - The spreadsheet was exactly what I was looking for, thank you! You saved me the trouble of making one myself haha.
Jan 8, 2019 6:19 PM

Dec 2017
Hackser_ said:
Might be a dumb question, but

13. Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or below 6.00
14. Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes per episode and a score of or above 8.00

Is it okay if the anime is only 1 episode?

Hi as long as the anime is more then 16 minutes it can be one episode.

QueenArashi said:
Hello everyone!
I'm working on anime I'm planning to watch for the 2019 challenge. I need some confirmation about "30. Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors — excludes black, brown, blonde, red, white and gray (and most shades of it); it's either green, blue, pink, purple or orange "

Uta No Prince-sama got 2 main characters with dark blue hair but what about the hair color of the main girl? Is it orange? So can I use this anime to complete the 30 or not? Thanks in advance for the answer !

Hi, according to aniDB her hair is red so it would be invalid for that item.
flipsardJan 8, 2019 7:44 PM
Jan 8, 2019 6:29 PM

Nov 2014

QueenArashi said:
Hello everyone!

Hi according to aniDB her hair is red so it would be invalid for that item.

Alirght, Thank you for answering !!

Jan 8, 2019 6:30 PM
Dec 2009
If I had an on-hold or dropped anime in 2018, do I use that date for my sign up? It says here:

The "Challenge Start Date" shouldn't be today's date, but the date of your first completed and used anime for the challenge, regardless of when you post your sign up form.

Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Jan 8, 2019 6:33 PM

Sep 2016
Hexcellion said:
If I had an on-hold or dropped anime in 2018, do I use that date for my sign up? It says here:

The "Challenge Start Date" shouldn't be today's date, but the date of your first completed and used anime for the challenge, regardless of when you post your sign up form.

this challenge is just for anime that you started in 2019 so you wouldn't be able to use that anime unless the challenge criteria specified an on-hold or dropped anime
Jan 8, 2019 6:43 PM

Oct 2016
I don't know if I will finish this year since the "have to do the previous tier first" makes it kind of awkward (I feel unlikely to slow down on watching something due to the AWC), but I have always enjoyed watching this so I'm gonna shoot for at least one level of this.

Had a question but then realized it actually doesn't actually matter because they're director in addition to creator. So, uh, guess this is turning into a "good luck everyone!" post.
Jan 8, 2019 6:50 PM

Jan 2016
Hey, have a similar question to QueenArashi.

I'm also planning to work on Novice 30: Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors. My anime of choice is Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu and I just wanted to ensure that it was valid.

For reference I am citing Ban with blue hair, Gowther with pink hair, and King with orange hair as my three characters.
Jan 8, 2019 6:52 PM

Dec 2017
Hexcellion said:

Use the first anime you started for the challenge since you originally didn’t watch that for the challenge, though use your original start date if you do the item that requires an old hold or dropped anime.

MikhailTheGreat said:
Hey, have a similar question to QueenArashi.

I'm also planning to work on Novice 30: Watch an anime with 3 or more main characters with unnatural hair colors. My anime of choice is Nanatsu no Taizai: Imashime no Fukkatsu and I just wanted to ensure that it was valid.

For reference I am citing Ban with blue hair, Gowther with pink hair, and King with orange hair as my three characters.

Yes those characters are valid.
flipsardJan 8, 2019 6:59 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

44 by Nurguburu »»
7 seconds ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 8 hours ago

35 by Rinenka »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

46 by IpreferEcchi »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 25 minutes ago

4 by Absurdo_N »»
6 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 4 hours ago

21 by Jonas-K »»
7 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.