Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 19, 2018 2:10 AM
Jun 2016
I think this is a strong contender for most underrated show of the season. Granted, it buries itself in all the tropes of slice of life, but it's incredibly good nonetheless. The animation is way more than what you'd for its genre, music is by the same composer as the one for Houseki no Kuni and Sora Yori and Kamuri is voiced my the magnificent Maria Naganawa.

I'd liken this to the My Hero Academia of high school slice of life, generic but perfect AF.
Mar 19, 2018 11:34 AM

May 2009
While it looks nice, has a solid execution, and is very charming, it's also (a you admitted) generic as fuck, and it doesn't really add anything new to a genre I think is (close to) becoming oversaturated.

Where Yuru Camp has as main gimmick off-season camping and that other show has girls going ti the South Pole, what does Slow Start have that drives every episode? Certainly not the fact that Hana got set a year behind, because it rarely comes up, and the show functions perfectly without it.

This show is a CGDCT in its most basic form and I can name several shows that worked just as well, if not better and became far more popular as a result.

Don;' get me wrong, I love this show, but I can certainly understand why not many people are talking about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2018 6:26 PM
Jun 2016
Firelord76 said:
While it looks nice, has a solid execution, and is very charming, it's also (a you admitted) generic as fuck, and it doesn't really add anything new to a genre I think is (close to) becoming oversaturated.
I'll admit, that is a fair demerit against the show. However, originality comes in all shapes and forms, if two different people were to play a song, they'd sound different. Really, it actually comes down to "bold" or "cautious" as the question at hand. I think making something as generic as this is bold in its own way, I wish I knew the budget to see exactly how bold it is, because the animation quality is at least worth mentioning.

Firelord76 said:
Where Yuru Camp has as main gimmick off-season camping and that other show has girls going ti the South Pole, what does Slow Start have that drives every episode? Certainly not the fact that Hana got set a year behind, because it rarely comes up, and the show functions perfectly without it.
What really sets Yuru Camp apart, is how effective it is as an iyashikei, not the gimmick of camping. What sets Sora Yori apart is the idea "my life is boring and forgettable, I'm going to do something really stupid and extreme to change that" as well as a great cast and high production values.

What sets Slow Start apart is how it doesn't try to subvert all these tropes. Instead opting to refine the basics really well.

Firelord76 said:
This show is a CGDCT in its most basic form and I can name several shows that worked just as well, if not better and became far more popular as a result.
The only thing I can think of, that is just this, is Sansha Sanyou, and I personally think Slow Start is better than that.

Firelord76 said:
Don;' get me wrong, I love this show, but I can certainly understand why not many people are talking about it.
I too see why people hate this but it's my second favorite anime of this very strong season (Second to Yuru Camp). I hope pointing out the reasons it's great might help people appreciate it more that Ryou`s work is never done (which I haven't seen, but having seen a bit of the studio's other work, Tenshi no 3P, know exactly what to expect from it).
Mar 20, 2018 5:17 AM
May 2017
I thought it was going to be a show on regigus
Mar 20, 2018 6:15 AM
Jun 2016
DeitysDynasty said:
Slow Start? How? What even is that?
Mar 20, 2018 6:33 AM

Sep 2016
or maybe it's just bad
it's hinako note level bad, boring and generic moe sol
even worse that another great Kirara anime is airing at the same time (Yuru Camp), so it's completely being overshadowed.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 20, 2018 6:36 AM
Jun 2016
GangsterCat said:
or maybe it's just bad
even worse that another great Kirara anime is airing at the same time (Yuru Camp), so it's completely being overshadowed.
I agree, that it's generic as hell, but it's good. Something can be generic and good, and this is such.

I'm not sure if that's a counter-argument, but I don't like internet arguments anyway so lets just call it a free expression of my opinion.

Anyway, a moment of silence to acknowledge the awesomeness of Yuru Camp.

EDIT: I took a glance at the MAL page for Hinako Note, that seems genuinely terrible.
Mar 20, 2018 7:32 AM
May 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
DeitysDynasty said:
It’s a Pokemon reference to his ability
Mar 20, 2018 7:35 AM
Jun 2016
DeitysDynasty said:
Tenderizer17 said:
Well I'd say a reference like that in a forum for an unpopular A-1 Pictures slice of life is a bit too advanced.
Mar 20, 2018 7:36 AM
May 2017
Tenderizer17 said:
DeitysDynasty said:
Well I'd say a reference like that in a forum for an unpopular A-1 Pictures slice of life is a bit too advanced.
I guess youre right 😂
Mar 20, 2018 7:38 AM
Jun 2016
DeitysDynasty said:
Tenderizer17 said:
I guess youre right 😂
Damn right I am.
Mar 20, 2018 10:57 AM

Aug 2013
Slow Start only looks generic if you try to see it from the perspective of the genres, it's a Slice of Life with none of the characters in any kind of club or activity, so at first glance someone just watching the first episode would think it's generic.

But after watching the 2nd episode you realize it's one of the most fresh shows regarding the cast of characters:

That "Sis-juice" segment started a character dynamic that you don't normally see in these kind of shows at all, it's refreshing how in almost every episode (except 8 and 10 because they were heavily focused on Hana) the characters can be so casually lewd while being at the same time cute and also make it work. It's a snowball effect that seems to have reached it's peak with the "fresh lychees" in episode 9, the last time I saw something of that level was the "classy little bean" in Yuyushiki and that was in 2013, and the characters didn't even dare to say it out loud. Basically this show has no limits, it does whatever it wants and will always catch you off-guard.

Even the characters got a lot of development by themselves, besides the already talked episodes 8 and 10 for Hana, Kamu got over her shyness as the show progressed, at the start she was scared of Tama and then she started complementing all the jokes Tama did to the point in episode 11 she gives plenty of punch-lines to most of Tama jokes, the HorribleSubs wrongly called the HanaTama idol unit a comedy duo, but at this point Tama and Kamu are a real comedy duo.

Of course we can't forget Eiko, she was already different to the average Slice of Life character since the golden week episode, but after episodes 7 and now 11 we see sides of Eiko you'd never imagine to see from a confident character like her.

Someone asked above what's the new thing this show adds to the genre, and of course isn't Hana, the only new thing Hana did for her archetype was the Hama-kuma-chan and Tama-kuma-chan scene, and it was above average at best. The real new thing this show has is Eiko and Sensei.
Mar 24, 2018 5:49 AM

Jul 2015
I like it more than SoraYori and especially Yuru Camp tbh, I hope it at least ends over the 7 on MAL between the 1/5 episodes rule and the ratings for people who wait until the end to give a score, because the current 6.75 is retardedly low.
Mar 24, 2018 5:51 AM
Jun 2016
MetaThPr4h said:
I like it more than SoraYori and especially Yuru Camp tbh
BLASPHEMY

HOW DARE YOU
Mar 24, 2018 5:55 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I found it to be about as generic as it gets as far as CGDCT anime go. It's not baaaad, but there's like nothing that makes it stand out from the rest of the genre either
Mar 24, 2018 6:02 AM

Jul 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
MetaThPr4h said:
I like it more than SoraYori and especially Yuru Camp tbh
BLASPHEMY

HOW DARE YOU

SoraYori started fantastic but the drama is far from hitting me since episode 4. I still enjoy the cute girls interactions so it's good on my book, but meh, I can't say I agree with the hype train at all.

And Yuru Camp is an iyashikei, I find most iyashikei anime boring and I say this as someone who has been reading the manga since before the anime even got announced, being able to set my own pacing while reading it instead of the slow one of the anime makes it quite more enjoyable. Anyways, for both versions I always think that Rin and Nadeshiko are nice and I like them, but the rest of the cast kinda sucks tbh, I prefer it when focused on those two.

Meanwhile Slow Start is just as entertaining as I want my cgdct anime to be, the characters are likeable, the animation is freaking nice, and Hana has some scenes with other characters that are super heartwarming and I love that.
Mar 24, 2018 10:47 AM

Jan 2012
I would personally nominate Hakumei to Mikochi for that particular title. This show is good, though easy to overlook for how basic it is.
Mar 24, 2018 11:03 AM

Jun 2017
Not the best but definetly the most underrated.

BTW why do people even mention Yuru Camp or Sora yori mot Tooi Basho? They are like as far from being underrated as they could possibly be.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Mar 24, 2018 11:13 AM

Jan 2013
It's a stale Kirara anime that doesn't step outside of its comfort zone. In fact, it seems to do the opposite, and tries to maximize the pandering towards the niche audience it previously attracted. Also, it's terribly over animated. How can I feel comfy when the characters are so animated and lively?

Tomm01p said:
BTW why do people even mention Yuru Camp or Sora yori mot Tooi Basho? They are like as far from being underrated as they could possibly be.
You're misunderstanding the comparison. People are explaining why Slow Start is having a hard time being as relevant as Yuru Camp or Yorimoi by pointing out what those shows bring to the table that Slow Start doesn't.
Mar 24, 2018 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
GangsterCat said:
or maybe it's just bad

But Yuru Camp is already overlooked by a lot of people in the community... it's not really that overshadowed compared to others.

Syrup- said:
It's a stale Kirara anime that doesn't step outside of its comfort zone. In fact, it seems to do the opposite, and tries to maximize the pandering towards the niche audience it previously attracted. Also, it's terribly over animated. How can I feel comfy when the characters are so animated and lively?

Tomm01p said:
You're misunderstanding the comparison. People are explaining why Slow Start is having a hard time being as relevant as Yuru Camp or Yorimoi by pointing out what those shows bring to the table that Slow Start doesn't.

Yeah I understand that comparison but some people worded it as if these series were overshadowed when in reality they ain't. Are they underrated compared to the bigger SoL stuff? Yeah, technically. But... compared to the other stuff this season, they actually aren't much by a long shot tho.
Mar 24, 2018 12:15 PM
May 2017
I agree; 'Slow Start' is underrated. The story is not original, it is filled with cliches, but... its execution is perfect and it is a thing of beauty and kindness.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Mar 24, 2018 12:15 PM

Aug 2014
It was an OK at best show tbh, 5/10 for me.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Mar 24, 2018 12:35 PM

Jan 2013
Wasshio said:
GangsterCat said:
or maybe it's just bad

But Yuru Camp is already overlooked by a lot of people in the community... it's not really that overshadowed compared to others.

Syrup- said:

Yeah I understand that comparison but some people worded it as if these series were overshadowed when in reality they ain't. Are they underrated compared to the bigger SoL stuff? Yeah, technically. But... compared to the other stuff this season, they actually aren't much by a long shot tho.

For an A-1 Pictures production, for a Kirara anime, for an SOL, yeah it's totally overshadowed. Slow Start doesn't even have half the MAL viewers of Yuru Camp or Yorimoi. Even if there are people like you and I who prefer to watch many shows per season who likely picked it up even if it were at the bottom of the barrel, I'd call Slow Start completely overshadowed.

You know what shocks me the most is that Takagi-san managed to do so well despite people complaining about the casting choices and not so promising visuals.

edit: Also, I wouldn't call Slow Start underrated, just completely overshadowed. There were some big boys at the playground today, and Slow Start just wasn't one of them.
Syrup-Mar 24, 2018 12:39 PM
Mar 24, 2018 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
Syrup- said:
Wasshio said:

For an A-1 Pictures production, for a Kirara anime, for an SOL, yeah it's totally overshadowed. Slow Start doesn't even have half the MAL viewers of Yuru Camp or Yorimoi. Even if there are people like you and I who prefer to watch many shows per season who likely picked it up even if it were at the bottom of the barrel, I'd call Slow Start completely overshadowed.

You know what shocks me the most is that Takagi-san managed to do so well despite people complaining about the casting choices and not so promising visuals.

Oh yeah I can certainly agree to be completely honest. Well, Slow Start ain't the best out there personally. I just really enjoyed what it had even if it was miniscule, and I was looking into the stuff regarding on it and while yeah it is overly animated it looked like the person that was mostly animating this (Kosuke along with few minor animators such as Masayuki Nonaka as well) was having fun with it as well.

Granted I did enjoyed it for the characters and what it had but I do believe it might be forgotten later on. Especially for someone that watches and gives most stuff a shot.

Hmm I haven't payed much attention to Takagi-san's forums at all since as you can tell I dropped it (it was just not for me per say, but I might give it another shot) but that doesn't coorelate too well with what you're saying. If its doing highly well despite the complaints then wouldn't that be a lower rating by comparison?

Then again, Slow Start can be applied the same way as well. There are people (including me) that do like it... despite the lower rating.
Mar 24, 2018 12:44 PM

Jan 2013
Wasshio said:
Hmm I haven't payed much attention to Takagi-san's forums at all since as you can tell I dropped it (it was just not for me per say, but I might give it another shot) but that doesn't coorelate too well with what you're saying. If its doing highly well despite the complaints then wouldn't that be a lower rating by comparison?

Then again, Slow Start can be applied the same way as well. There are people (including me) that do like it... despite the lower rating.
It has three times as much reception as Slow Start did (29k vs 100k people who have it on their list), with a much better rating. Compared to Slow Start, where I would imagine they threw a lot of money at animation budget (try to find a scene where every other frame isn't animated), I'd say Takagi-san was a great success.
Mar 24, 2018 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
So everyone will just ignore my post, pretending it doesn't bring anything new and it has a "comfort zone"?
Mar 24, 2018 3:28 PM

Jun 2017
Tomm01p said:

Agreed, those two are above 8, hardly underrated. The way I see it is that Yuru Camp started as an underdog with average score then it slowly crawled up and Sorayori already hit it off with a high score from the start.

Mar 24, 2018 3:34 PM

Sep 2016
MomoSinX said:
Tomm01p said:

Agreed, those two are above 8, hardly underrated. The way I see it is that Yuru Camp started as an underdog with average score then it slowly crawled up and Sorayori already hit it off with a high score from the start.

lot of people mention those titles because it's the same 'type' of anime. cute girls doing something. while Yuru has maximum comfiness and Yori has this ambitious theme (plus drama), SlowStart is just staple cutegirlsdoingcutethings.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Mar 24, 2018 5:41 PM

Nov 2014
I disagree, this show almost completely ignores it's premise which makes me wonder what the point was of having it in the first place.
Forum Signature
Mar 24, 2018 6:04 PM
Jun 2016
Chimerared said:
I disagree, this show almost completely ignores it's premise which makes me wonder what the point was of having it in the first place.
Too be fair, its original premise kind of sucks.
Mar 24, 2018 6:10 PM
Jun 2016
Syrup- said:
Also, it's terribly over animated. How can I feel comfy when the characters are so animated and lively?
I think the over-animation is a good thing. Imagine how much it would suck if it was under-animated.

I'm not trying to argue a point with this, just state it. I don't have the information necessary to sort this out.
Mar 24, 2018 6:35 PM

Nov 2014
Tenderizer17 said:

Sure but without the premise which it failed to utilize effectively it has nothing else going for it, I don't think that Slow Start was bad but I don't think it was good either, it was a competently made show that took no risks and failed to make an impression, the ultimate cookie cutter show.
Not only that but there are a lot of CGDCT shows airing this season and I would say that at least five of them are better than Slow Start and I'll probably remember them all in a year's time, I will probably forget this one in a month.
I'm not saying that I hate this show but I've seen it done better countless times.
Forum Signature
Mar 24, 2018 6:54 PM
Jun 2016
Chimerared said:
Tenderizer17 said:

Sure but without the premise which it failed to utilize effectively it has nothing else going for it, I don't think that Slow Start was bad but I don't think it was good either, it was a competently made show that took no risks and failed to make an impression, the ultimate cookie cutter show.
Not only that but there are a lot of CGDCT shows airing this season and I would say that at least five of them are better than Slow Start and I'll probably remember them all in a year's time, I will probably forget this one in a month.
I'm not saying that I hate this show but I've seen it done better countless times.
I don't think it's as cookie cutter as you say. Granted, the show as a whole isn't particularly unique but I can't think of a single episode that was completely entrenched in CGDCT tropes. The broad strokes aren't particularly unique, but the finer details are.
Mar 25, 2018 7:50 AM

Jan 2013
I really don't understand the comments here. Slow Start is most certainly not a generic CGDCT, and in my eyes is most certainly less generic than Yuru Camp.

It's not about the setting but about what it does. Yes, Slow Start is another CGDCT that has school as it's the main basis. But that doesn't mean much at all. What Slow Start brings to the table are its characters and the unique perspectives that we get from them. While Yuru Camp uses it's focus on outdoor camping to bring nothing new to the table, Slow Start uses it's "gimmick" to show a case of a character with anxiety and provide a caring support system around her. There are great messages about accepting yourself and legitimizing one's feelings. Not to mention the slow development of the characters and how many of the characters are outside of the typical mould of CGDCT.

It certainly is a CGDCT at heart, but it's one that has a lot to offer and one that I think is vastly underrated.
Mar 25, 2018 11:42 AM

Aug 2013
Chimerared said:

Sure but without the premise which it failed to utilize effectively it has nothing else going for it

Eiko and Enami-sensei.
Mar 25, 2018 1:53 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
Fircoal said:
I really don't understand the comments here. Slow Start is most certainly not a generic CGDCT, and in my eyes is most certainly less generic than Yuru Camp.

It's not about the setting but about what it does. Yes, Slow Start is another CGDCT that has school as it's the main basis. But that doesn't mean much at all. What Slow Start brings to the table are its characters and the unique perspectives that we get from them. While Yuru Camp uses it's focus on outdoor camping to bring nothing new to the table, Slow Start uses it's "gimmick" to show a case of a character with anxiety and provide a caring support system around her. There are great messages about accepting yourself and legitimizing one's feelings. Not to mention the slow development of the characters and how many of the characters are outside of the typical mould of CGDCT.

It certainly is a CGDCT at heart, but it's one that has a lot to offer and one that I think is vastly underrated.

Well said. I just finished reading your review and I couldn't agree more with most of it. There is so much more here than people are giving it credit for. It simply can't be written off as generic moe; there is so much depth to the characters in their personal struggles and the chemistry between all of them felt very sincere. The comedy was genuinely laugh out loud funny at times, the dialog was sharply written, and the character animation was spot on.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Mar 25, 2018 4:30 PM
Dec 2017
This is good, for moe. But they not consider to open hana's one year gap that from the start as her problem, that makes this show is not compeleted as it should be. Maybe it should be hana make the talk, and they telling her that it's okay then credit. Maybe this will make me more satisfy about the ending, but maybe they will continue or give some specials and make me satisfed about the ending lol
"Life isn't always bright as daylight, the real personality of every person is when the night comes and the moonlight that shines through the dark hours."

Mar 25, 2018 9:57 PM

Jul 2015
It certainly is underrated. The problem resides on people who rate things without understanding genres...
People with lack of knowledge -and-plenty-of-ego- usually go to think serious means good, and this "CGDCT garbage" is crap... To be a reviewer, first you need to have enough experience and be open minded.

For me at least, this was a really relaxing show; episodes felt really short which is what happens when having a good time; characters were not the most unique, but great; animation, VA, art, etc... way obove average; and the story has more than just the original premise... now, I don't think the black haired girl stalking Eiko is going to brutally murder her or anything like it... come on...
When you ate pudding you are not expecting it to suddenly taste spicy, then go sour and finally gets sweet again, am I right? this kind of shows are that: pudding, and pudding is great. (if it does, could be interesting though)
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Mar 25, 2018 10:45 PM
Jun 2016
Apollo_Madao said:
It certainly is underrated. The problem resides on people who rate things without understanding genres.
I think it's just genuinely impossible to rate things properly. Highly rated doesn't equal good.

Take Kimi no na Wa as an example
Mar 26, 2018 2:12 AM
Jun 2015
I think the only reason why i watched slow start was for kamuri since she looks so much like kanna from maid dragon (and they share the same va) but overall i felt like the series, as the title implies, slow.
Mar 26, 2018 2:50 AM

Jul 2015
Tenderizer17 said:
Apollo_Madao said:
It certainly is underrated. The problem resides on people who rate things without understanding genres.
I think it's just genuinely impossible to rate things properly. Highly rated doesn't equal good.

Take Kimi no na Wa as an example

Of course, is a subjective thing after all, but criticizing a SOL for "plot not advancing" (as a lot of is predisposed to say) is pretty out of place. You for example, liked it for the right reasons to a SOL acknowledging the limitations of the genre.

Haven't yet seen Kimi no na Wa, but yeah, is common for overhyped stuff to get overrated, as sadly it is for uderrated stuff to be trashed.
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Apr 3, 2018 12:47 PM

May 2017
I've just finished watching Sora Yori and Yuru Camp and I don't really see much else that interests me until Steins;Gate 0 comes out.

Do you think I might like this show, or is it probably going to fall short of my expectations after seeing YC & SY?

Apr 3, 2018 6:08 PM
Jun 2016
ituhata said:
I've just finished watching Sora Yori and Yuru Camp and I don't really see much else that interests me until Steins;Gate 0 comes out.

Do you think I might like this show, or is it probably going to fall short of my expectations after seeing YC & SY?
Set your expectations really low and Slow Start won't fall short.
Apr 6, 2018 4:35 AM
Sep 2017
Focus of this series was all wrong. It grates my nerves to watch it despite few scenes here and there being extremely good and it also being well animated.

Comedy was actually quite poor at times. Romantic bits and flirting were superb. It's just all over the place. Going from unhinged looniness of Tama to slow and relatively bland personality drama of Hana to dangerously hot romance/flirting berween Eiko and Enami at a drop of a hat.

I can't give it more than 5 or 6 in good faith. But the bits its made out of range from 4 to 9. It's just nuts.
Apr 6, 2018 4:51 AM

May 2012
Slice of life anime with no ecchii and story is boring

I think it is overrated.
Feb 18, 2019 4:58 PM
Mar 2018
Well, just it has no drama to it or no edge like most of the hypemonsters of every season, doesn't mean it has to be bad. However when I first saw it I thought it was about 5 years old, just from the colour palette and the character models. The story seems nice and calm, just like Slice Of Live should be. Something to watch an episode a day and you are good to go. So neither under nor overrated so far (but I'd still to see a 7.5 for this show).

However there seems to be something off. Like, the animations. They are quite smoother than your usual anime. Can it be that they went overboard with this anime and have more than the usual 24fps? It gives it a western animation vibe...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slow Start Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2018

46 by Tsune_3 »»
Mar 11, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Slow Start Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

82 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:52 AM

Poll: » Slow Start Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

49 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:52 AM

Poll: » Slow Start Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2018

53 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:51 AM

Poll: » Slow Start Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

31 by WELLERM »»
Dec 16, 2023 7:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.