Forum Settings
Forums

When you look back do you consider yourself a Weaboo/Otaku?

New
May 19, 2017 9:55 PM

Sep 2014
This isn't your ordinary poll to see who is a weboo or otaku.
During my early years of watching anime i've always considered myself as an ordinary anime fan who just watches for leisure.
But when i look back 5 years from now, i realized i was the biggest fucking weaboo, sing animu songs, saying those cringe anime phrases, watching anime where ever i went, typical weeb stuff. (definitely not anymore)

So my question is, When you look back at yourself do you consider yourself a Weaboo/Otaku?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 19, 2017 10:00 PM

Sep 2014
ANYBODY THAT WATCHES ANIME IS A FUCKING WEEEEEEEEEEEB!!!

OT: Anybody that signs up to MAL is likely an otaku, it just means fanatic.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 19, 2017 10:02 PM

Sep 2014
Menzo- said:

does that mean when i was watching pokemon at the age of 5 i was considered a weeb?
May 19, 2017 10:03 PM

Jul 2015
I don't consider myself Japanese but anime and manga are my main so otaku
May 19, 2017 10:04 PM

Oct 2016
To be honest, i have no idea what to consider myself.
Like, i think i watch way too much anime (does that count here?) but i don't do (never did) typical otaku/weeb stuff.
So i think i'm more like:

BakaKuro said:
an ordinary anime fan who just watches for leisure.

But yeah, I still think it'd be nice to have my room filled with LNs, anime toys and stuff.
May 19, 2017 10:05 PM

Sep 2014
BakaKuro said:
Menzo- said:

does that mean when i was watching pokemon at the age of 5 i was considered a weeb?
YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

I'm just going to assume you knew I was playing a character of a guy that hates anime.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
May 19, 2017 10:08 PM

May 2014
Otaku has taken on a negative connotation in the recent years.
May 19, 2017 10:15 PM

Dec 2015
I sexually identify as a attack helicopter. Please respect my pronouns.
May 19, 2017 10:16 PM

Feb 2010
BakaKuro said:

Your not dealing with your ordinay weboo poll. You see this thread has risen beyond the limits of a normal weboo poll. Becoming the legend people fear, the legend know through out the internet as the most powerful weboo poll to ever exist. this Poll is a super weboo poll

jokes aside. i mostly read comics,manga and watch Live action tv, some movies, western Animations, internet series, and Anime.

so i don't really know
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 19, 2017 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
I weirdly gravitated toward anime before I even knew what it was.

Gonna blame the japanese for having superior subliminal mind control over the youths.

These days I guess if I were a labeling kinda guy you could get away with calling me a weeb. Though I've cut back on how much anime I've watched significantly the past year or so. (which is about the only thing other than having an account on MAL that would make me weebish in the first place)
May 19, 2017 10:21 PM

Jan 2015
I remember back when I used to like Lucky Star and Elfen Lied.

Those were dark times.
May 19, 2017 10:25 PM

Sep 2014
Menzo- said:
BakaKuro said:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSS!!!

I'm just going to assume you knew I was playing a character of a guy that hates anime.

don't worry i hate anime as well for ruining my social life
May 19, 2017 10:26 PM

Feb 2015
Maybe a bit of an otaku, otherwise I wouldn't be posting on a forum dedicated to anime?
May 19, 2017 11:33 PM

Jun 2015
Otaku? Perhaps.

Weeb, no. I only learned Japanese simply because Japan has some good shit research for geology.
May 19, 2017 11:37 PM

Oct 2016
weeb = A non japanese person who basically denounces their own culture and calls themselves japanese. They try to learn japanese through the anime they watch and usually end up pronouncing it wrong and looking like a complete idiot. (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Weeaboo)

yeah, if you're not a japanese but try so hard to put every japanese words you know to your conversation, fuck you
May 20, 2017 12:19 AM

Jul 2016
No. Weebs don't care about accuracy. I care about accuracy. I want to seriously self teach myself Japanese and I'm a perfectionist.

I know what are good resources for things like this.

And anyone that goes that far basically has de facto dual citizenship of their home country and wherever they have an interest in.
May 20, 2017 12:25 AM

Jun 2008
No, I've never been a weeb.

Even at my most fanatical phase of liking anime...I only liked anime not the actual Japanese culture.

For example:

The Japanese language.....English motherfucker do you speak it?!

All this Shinto and shrine shit....guess what fuckers, there's only ONE God, and he died for your heathen ass on the cross!

Jap Food....NOPE...I'll stick to my Burgers and Pizza! God Bless America!

Jap traditional clothing.....once again, NOPE....jeans and a t-shirt that's all you need!

All this karate bullshit.....we got guns, a shit ton of them too!

May 20, 2017 12:32 AM

Sep 2014
I say I'm a weeb but Idk, might as well call myself a weeb. I don't do the Kawaii or using japanese phrases shit, and I only watch anime in my room, I read manga outside though. However I blast Rabu Raibu music whenever I go anywhere in my car. When I hear Torikoriko PLEASE or Guilty Night, Guilty Kiss play on my stereo, I sing along with that shit.
May 20, 2017 12:32 AM
Jul 2018
yep
in my fledging years i was a huge, godforsaken weeb, thank god i set myself straight
May 20, 2017 12:35 AM

Aug 2015
nope. I just quietly watched anime/read manga. I never said any phrases or do anything too stupid. Kept to myself
May 20, 2017 12:35 AM

Jun 2008
@My_American_Brothers....

Please don't be a weeb and fully embrace OUR great culture!

But if you're still confused...you can decide if you want:

^Choose Freedom!
May 20, 2017 12:39 AM

Jun 2015
I have always been more of a casual fan than anything.
:)
May 20, 2017 12:40 AM

Jan 2013
No, not really. I'm a typical, ordinary fan. There's nothing really interesting about me.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 20, 2017 12:43 AM

Nov 2016
Well looking back. . . .

Weeaboo? No. I've never denounced my own culture and start calling myself Japanese, also I don't use weeb phrases or try to learn Japanese through anime or act like I speak Japanese.

Otaku? I have a life and I don't stay home all the time watching anime. I have other things in life that I do other than just anime.

I don't really know what to consider myself back then. Maybe a typical ordinary fan?

May 20, 2017 12:45 AM

Jan 2013
Luckily never happened to me, but I think it's mostly thanks to the fact that I was almost an adult when I started watching anime. If I'd discovered anime as 10-14 year old I would probably have a lot of embarassing memories now.
May 20, 2017 2:26 AM

Jul 2013
My current weeb level is pretty much the same than the one I had when I started watching anime.
The only difference is that before I used to hum some anime songs to myself in public places. I left that habit after realizing how stupid I looked.
May 20, 2017 2:46 AM

Jan 2010
No matter how much I denied I probably 99% otaku or weeb you name it because it's quite the same meaning right? (weeb for westerners, otaku for japan)

Proof that I'm indeed a weaboo:
1. Phone and desktop wallpaper is anime
2. Ringtone is anime song
3. Music 75% anime song
4. Is fluent in singing several anime song
5. Take Japanese Literature as her major
6. Goes to Japan to buy tons of anime merch and doujinshis
7. Occasionally wears anime clothing in public (not costume, just the casual ones)
8. Uses anime merch in her everyday stuff (anime keychains in bags and phone, notebook and binders with anime picture on it, anime clearfiles, mugs, sougo's sleeping mask, and stuff)
9. Likes to eat Japanese foods

Proof that I'm not THAT of a weaboo
1. Never watch anime in public
2. Never participate in any anime event more because I'm broke and hate crowded places
3. Never cosplay
4. Doesn't own any dakimakura (but I do owns a normal small pillow that is Eren and Law)
5. Doesn't own any action figures because they are expensive as f and I have no use of them
6. Doesn't own any anime posters
7. Doesn't hum anime song in public (only sings one in showers or karaoke)
8. Doesn't randomly sprouting japanese words unless necessary (example: when actually conversing with a Japanese or people who understands japanese)
9. I have interests outside anime (western movies, marvel, books, games, drawing)
CrimsonMidnightMay 21, 2017 9:14 AM
May 20, 2017 2:49 AM
May 2017
New to this site, how do I create a topic?
May 20, 2017 2:50 AM

Oct 2015
i consider myself completely and utterly fabulous.
"I came here to sniff Madoka panties and kick witch ass and I am all out 'doka panties" - Homora Akemi
May 20, 2017 2:54 AM

Feb 2013
MouseCop87 said:
are you new to the internet?
from the main forum page, which is this one -> https://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=1
click the "Create New Topic" button >_>
May 20, 2017 2:59 AM

Mar 2017
Eh? what's the difference between weaboo and otaku?
May 20, 2017 3:02 AM
May 2017
romagia said:
MouseCop87 said:
from the main forum page, which is this one -> https://myanimelist.net/forum/?board=1

No Im not....there isnt a new post link on the mobile version, or at least I dont see o e
May 20, 2017 3:05 AM

Apr 2011
First few months I was sort of a weeb (who wasn't?), but after that I was an elitistfag 4 lyfe.
May 20, 2017 3:09 AM

Feb 2013
MouseCop87 said:
romagia said:

No Im not....there isnt a new post link on the mobile version, or at least I dont see o e
this is why i always prefer to "Request Desktop Version".. mal should have a button for this at the bottom of the page

ive looked it up and apparently there really is no new thread button on the mobile site lol
sorry for that
May 20, 2017 3:13 AM

Feb 2016
I don't see myself as a Otaku or a Weaboo.I really like Animes and Manga.I'm a fan of course but not a extreme one.I just enjoy them,

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
May 20, 2017 3:21 AM
May 2017
@romagia....its all good, no biggie lol

guess I'll be requesting desktop as well
May 20, 2017 4:02 AM

Nov 2016
I'm pretty sure no.
I always liked watching anime, but it didn't turn me into someone who prefers an other culture over my own or a shut in who spend his whole time and money on anime and merchandise/games etc..

Otaku is an extrem term which refers to people who basically only live for their passion and a real Otaku has almost nothing else besides his hobby.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/785/Otaku_no_Video

This OVA is quite interesting and for people who want to know how Otakus lived and were treated in Japan. It's a little older and some things may(probably) have changed, but I think it's still educational.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 20, 2017 4:10 AM

Feb 2013
OT: In my high school days i used to have more often anime avatars, and had more opportunities for watching anime at school so i used them. Now i don't do anime avatars so often, and only attend school for the important parts, so i don't have many opportunities to watch anime outside home.

The majority of the music i listen has never been japanese, and I sometimes use japanese phrases ironically and with people in the know.

I gues i was more overtly into anime back then, but not by much..
May 20, 2017 4:25 AM

Oct 2016
If I were to compare, I'm probably more otaku-ish today than during my highschool days. Maybe because of extracurricular activities and the image I had to maintain during school days. (I couldn't even set an anime wallpaper on my phone back then..)

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 20, 2017 4:29 AM

Apr 2016
You cant be an Otaku unless you are member of nipponjin master race.
May 20, 2017 4:31 AM

Feb 2015
No, I never become obssessed with anime/manga that it became the only thing I have that matters most. I have a life :P
May 20, 2017 4:46 AM

May 2016
Nope, not a weaboo, at max a otaku as anime and games are my only hobbies.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
May 20, 2017 4:56 AM

Jun 2016
I think I just went full weeaboo 3 years ago. I was just an otaku since 2006.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
May 20, 2017 4:57 AM
Sep 2015
BakaKuro said:
During my early years of watching anime i've always considered myself as an ordinary anime fan who just watches for leisure.
But when i look back 5 years from now, i realized i was the biggest fucking weaboo, sing animu songs, saying those cringe anime phrases, watching anime where ever i went, typical weeb stuff. (definitely not anymore)

So my question is, When you look back at yourself do you consider yourself a Weaboo/Otaku?
I never had that phase and i am glad for that. I pretty much was different guy when i was in school and in home
May 20, 2017 4:59 AM
Sep 2016
I'm just a dude that has too much time on his hands and likes to watch tv shows (animated or not) and wants to chill. If that makes me a weeb or weirdo, I couldn't care less.

Point is, I don't label myself any of these things, we all just want to be ourselves and have fun.
You were right, mom. It was just a phase.
May 20, 2017 7:02 AM

Aug 2015
I don't have much deep knowledge about anime nor much hardcore passion on anime so the term Otaku does not fit me, I also do not glorify Japanese culture so neither do I think I am a weeboo.
I'm just an average anime watcher I guess.
May 20, 2017 8:28 AM

Jul 2014
Here to break the ice and proclaim myself as an evolving w33b.

- replace english phrases with jp (blurt out KISAMA!exclamationpoint!1one!)
- music is all animu OP & ED's with mix of OST, bits of Nana Mizuki in there
- entertainment is all animu and mangos, fuck western media
- wearing animu t shirts
- going to jp restaurants, no not the Americanized "hibachi" ones, but ramen joints and apparently theres a japanese restaurant that's run by actual japanese.\

more to come...
May 20, 2017 8:33 AM

Feb 2015
No poll... :(

OP killed my dreams... :(

Anyway when I look back, I still consider myself as a human being... :/
May 20, 2017 8:34 AM

Feb 2017
Well maybe an otaku. I am not going to those lengths where one throws their own culture to adopt the Japanese one.

"All it took was an arm and a leg"
May 20, 2017 8:36 AM
May 2016
Watch too much anime, interested in collecting too much manga, eat heaps of Japanese food all the time, drink mainly Japanese beer, and the obligatory body pillow.

But as long as I can still stay in touch with my own culture, I'm not too far down the rabbit hole yet.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Did Shikanoko save comedy anime?

Catalano - 23 minutes ago

9 by ColourWheel »»
1 minute ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

43 by nishant0 »»
7 minutes ago

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - Yesterday

44 by Reshiram_IX »»
8 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024? ( 1 2 )

thewiru - Yesterday

50 by BatoKusanagi »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

57 by -Kugeki- »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.