Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 16, 2017 5:55 PM

Aug 2016
Recently, I changed my grading scale of anime, and I found myself filled with some 1s...

I rate an anime 1 to those which I find myself preaching to others about how bad the it was... (they are often popular ones which didn't meet the hype). What about you?

(Or am I really a critic? I give some of my favorite series 7/10 to differentiate between my favorites>)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 16, 2017 5:59 PM

Jul 2016
My ratings are pretty much based on gut feelings instead of being a critic. So if I feel like something is beyond shit, then it gets a 1. And vice versa for 10s/9s and etc.
May 16, 2017 6:02 PM

Mar 2015
I don't I have rated one that low (yet), but I tend to avoid anime I know I'm not going to like instantly. It's kinda setting yourself up to fail if you know prior that's going to be garbage. I mean, try new things, but not to that extent if the series is going to be bad.

"Achieve not with the squad, but by yourself." - Urie

May 16, 2017 6:03 PM
Jun 2016
I'm giving a grade based on the average grade an anime has. If an anime has an average rating of 8.03 and I totally hated that anime and have no idea why the score is so high, I will give a one. Again, more I hate an anime, more I will grade under the average grade.
May 16, 2017 6:04 PM

Dec 2016
I wont give anything a 1. Not a single anime deserves it since a little effort was put into it, so the lowest ill do is 2.
May 16, 2017 6:04 PM

Jan 2016
I don't think I really will ever rate one ever a 1 mostly since I check out an anime before determining if I should buy it on DVD or not (which I do for every series I have on my MAL)

but if theirs ever a time that would happen it would have to be really bad (imo)

The lowest scores I have are 6/10's (atm anyways)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
May 16, 2017 6:05 PM

May 2015
My ratings are entirely based on my overall experience watching the show, because to me enjoyment and "critical" value are the exact same thing. Higher/lower a show is scored on my MAL, the better/worse I think it is.

So anything that is a 1 is something that is so unbelievably bad that it manages to impact me as a person due to how bad it was, to the point where I will think about the show often, "man, that show was fucking awfuler then what could be considered awful."
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
May 16, 2017 6:05 PM

Jul 2016
I just give an 1 rating to unwatchable crap like Pupa, Mars of Destruction, etc. I also call that rating the "Insult to animation" section. The only good part about those anime is the "so bad, it's funny" moments they have sometimes.
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

May 16, 2017 6:07 PM
Jul 2018
Just in general shows that I hated tho I use a 5 star rating system so it works kinda different, but kinda the same
May 16, 2017 6:08 PM

Jan 2016
ShadowCode said:
I wont give anything a 1. Not a single anime deserves it since a little effort was put into it, so the lowest ill do is 2.

I can agree with that

(sorry for this part I needed an extra 13 characters you can ignore this part)

All the Anime's on my list are all one's I own Personal physical copies of, or have seen in theaters that I plan on buying, series that I've watched on FUNimation or HIDIVE will not be on here unless/until I have already bought it.
May 16, 2017 6:09 PM

May 2015
I give 1's to any popular anime that I don't consider to be "good" because I want attention.
May 16, 2017 6:10 PM

Jun 2015
I give 1s to anime that I thought were just unbearable to watch.
:)
May 16, 2017 6:12 PM

Aug 2016
Fang said:
I give 1's to any popular anime that I don't consider to be "good" because I want attention.

I gotta agree with you in some parts here.
May 16, 2017 6:15 PM

Jul 2010
When there's nothing redeemable to be found. It isn't even funny bad, otherwise it would get at least a 2.
May 16, 2017 6:21 PM

May 2017
1/10:

anyone who has basic logic or a shade of taste know this is shit. this thing is an insult to intelligence. not positives whatsoever. anyone who think this is good, is truly an idiot.
i didnt like the premise not most thing that happen in this show.

anything i dont like i drop. so i dont really have rated a show with 1/10. mars of destruction however is 1/10.
i am shitposter. dont take me seriously.
May 16, 2017 6:21 PM

Dec 2016
when it's Guilty Crown, That show was SHHIITTT
May 16, 2017 6:22 PM

Nov 2011
When the anime is so abominally bad that I shouldn't have even picked it up out of morbid curiosity.

For contrast, I'd give a 3 to "normal" terrible anime.
May 16, 2017 6:24 PM
Sep 2015
I wonder that myself, until now the most tiny rate in my anime list it's 3. I haven't saw an anime so bad yet, so I don't know what an anime need to make me give it a 1 as rate
May 16, 2017 6:26 PM

Oct 2014
Usually things that are either painful to watch, barely anime, or otherwise absolute trash. I don't group things like SAO and Glasslip in with the stuff that truly deserves to be marked as waste products that never should have existed. Papillon Rose is the longest anime I've ever given a 1 to. It was 150 minutes of anime torture.
May 16, 2017 6:33 PM

Dec 2015
Fang said:

The Jim Sterling of the anime world lol.

I have given 1's to things that I really hated. Finished them because I thought they might get better but where a complete waste of time and effort IMO of course. If it fails at everything it does in everyway. I agree sometimes it's so bad it's good and that doesn't deserve a 1.
May 16, 2017 6:35 PM

Jun 2015
Giving a 1 is an honor.
2-3 is bad in a boring way.
1 is bad in a "you have to see it" way.

Aside from the third Berserk movie. That just triggered me.

May 16, 2017 6:43 PM

May 2014
I rate a 1 if either I can't find enough or any positives about the show, or I despise it on a personal level. All of the shows I've given a 1 to except Gakuen Handsome follow this rule.
May 16, 2017 6:44 PM

May 2017
Haven't rated an anime that low yet, probably because I immediately drop anime that I know will disappoint me and bore me out of my mind.
May 16, 2017 6:48 PM

May 2015
Fang said:

Proper answer: I don't give 1's out at all really. 10's/Masterpieces are something that I intentionally look for and stumble across once in a while after searching through a ton of highly scored anime. Just like that, I believe 1's are the same. They are the worst of the worst. I think that if you rate properly and you've truly given an anime a 1, you've looked for it, just like you look for masterpieces.
May 16, 2017 6:57 PM
Apr 2015
i've only given a 1 to pupa, and that's because i didn't even know an anime could be so bad
May 16, 2017 7:37 PM

Apr 2017
I give a 1 rating if I can't think of a single thing I like about the show.
May 16, 2017 7:40 PM
Jan 2017
When the anime is just shit but the critics praise and jerk off to it all over the internet. In other words, if it is overrated as fuck, then I'd rate it a 1.
May 16, 2017 7:42 PM

Apr 2017
Garbage-Tier Shows, Cause It's suprisingly Horrendous to continue the whole thing for now

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
May 16, 2017 8:00 PM
Jul 2015
The ones that manage to traumatise me into leaving anime for a while.
May 16, 2017 8:05 PM

Apr 2016
When an anime fails in every aspect, from plot, pacing, character to animation/presentation and sound. It doesn't necessarily piss me off to "earn" a 1, in some case like Hatsune no Mars, it simply forced me to do it without even hesitation lol, and i didn't feel irritated when watching it.
May 16, 2017 8:09 PM
Jan 2017
I tend to not gives one. I don't think I can watch a series in it's entirety if is that bad. Not to mention I tend to avoid bad anime and being popular is not enough reason for me to give a bad anime a one as I can see some of the appeal, that just did not grab me, but might grab others as dumb fun.

I mean is like my 10, it has to be perfect for me, which there only one anime thst fit that criteria. If I start giving ones, it devalued it.
May 16, 2017 8:10 PM

Dec 2016
Simple. If it is as bad as Mirai Nikki, I rate 1.
May 16, 2017 8:15 PM

Jan 2016
I have not yet given an anime a 1. Then again, I've only completed around 30 anime. However, I have never given an anime a 10 either, I'm like you in trying to keep an average around 10. Even anime that are rated 6 are considered good in my book.

But anyway, since I rate it on 5 points objectively and 5 points subjectively, the anime has to be appalling in both aspects. It has to be missing all aspects that any good anime have. It has to be a struggle just advancing from one episode to the next.

Shallow character development (or unlikeable characters), lack of entertainment, lack of plot, too much resemblance to other anime, bad voice acting or illustrations, lack of creativity...

Rudan said:

The fact that Mirai Nikki got a 1 in your book and One Punch Man got a 9 is wholly embarrassing. This is when you have to take a step back and realize that you are not judging by any means of objectivity. I don't usually judge people based on their anime ratings, but this is just.... sad. Then again, your mean rating is 7.7 despite that, so I didn't really expect fairly weighted ratings.
May 16, 2017 8:22 PM

Dec 2016
primaltare said:
I have not yet given an anime a 1. Then again, I've only completed around 30 anime. However, I have never given an anime a 10 either, I'm like you in trying to keep an average around 10. Even anime that are rated 6 are considered good in my book.

But anyway, since I rate it on 5 points objectively and 5 points subjectively, the anime has to be appalling in both aspects. It has to be missing all aspects that any good anime have. It has to be a struggle just advancing from one episode to the next.

Shallow character development (or unlikeable characters), lack of entertainment, lack of plot, too much resemblance to other anime, bad voice acting or illustrations, lack of creativity...

Rudan said:

The fact that Mirai Nikki got a 1 in your book and One Punch Man got a 9 is wholly embarrassing. This is when you have to take a step back and realize that you are not judging by any means of objectivity. I don't usually judge people based on their anime ratings, but this is just.... sad. Then again, your mean rating is 7.7 despite that, so I didn't really expect fairly weighted ratings.

dude those are my ratings, go live ur life lul leave me alone ffs its my opnion mirai nikki is shit. if u think its good then good for u i dont even care

edit: oh lol i see u have yuno and mirai nikki in ur favs nevermind then, i wont complain anymore
WorthinessMay 16, 2017 8:25 PM
May 16, 2017 8:24 PM

May 2016
An anime deserves a 1/10 when it's so incomprehensibly bad that my entire day is ruined by my having been reminded of its existence--an anime that is almost entirely bereft of any positive qualities whatsoever.

1/10 indicates BOTH the absence of Good and the overabundance of Terrible.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 16, 2017 8:27 PM

Aug 2016
My scores are pretty much based on my personal enjoyment. Heck i scored Danmachi 1 :D

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 16, 2017 8:29 PM

Jan 2011
Bad anime, bad. Don't do that, you get the squirt bottle.
Jul 2018
When the show I watched disgusts me, wastes my time and makes me question why it was made.

In one case, it almost killed my love for anime as a whole.

Jun 2015
I've never given a 1 to any show because if I see it's bad right from the start I'll drop it without even rating (e.g. Seitokai Yakuindomo). You know, things could get better later on, but I won't waste my time waiting for it.

The lowest scores on my list (3s and 4s) are either one episode OVAs or shows that started good and went downhill afterwards. I would totally give a 1 to one of these if it was too boring, too full of flaws, if it ruined a good franchise or otherwise had no redeeming qualities to it.

EDIT: Also, an anime making light of a serious issue or using one just for shock value is the quickest way to make me drop a show. Watamote and Kaichou wa Maid Sama both fall under that category.
AnotherGuyMay 16, 2017 8:34 PM
May 16, 2017 8:32 PM

May 2016
AnotherGuy said:
if I see it's bad right from the start I'll drop it without even rating ([...]Watamote)

JNFJNWDWDIOQSNIOSQOMWDOMKWQIPSJKQWJK I WILL FIGHT YOU IN THE STREETS.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
May 16, 2017 8:39 PM

Feb 2015
When someone rate something 1/10, that's the time they rate it 1/10.
May 16, 2017 8:51 PM

May 2016
When my penis isn't rock hard.

/////
May 16, 2017 9:48 PM

Feb 2017
When I'm sure enough that my impression about the anime won't change... usually I tend to think from all perspectives... animation,story, music etc. before I give it a rating. However,for long animes there is an exception...they earn their rating before they are finished...every long anime consists of one or more moments which gives a feeling," Oh! I bet it deserves this rating !"...and that's that...I give them the rating... usually my judgement doesn't change.
May 16, 2017 10:02 PM

Jan 2013
_Ako_ said:
When someone rate something 1/10, that's the time they rate it 1/10.

Good point here! I like your thinking. :D
It means that anime is simply awful and with some extremely poor quality.
thatPinkSpiderMay 16, 2017 10:06 PM

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
May 16, 2017 10:09 PM

Apr 2016
I haven't rated an anime with 1 yet as like others I am also avoiding anime that I am quite sure that I will not like or enjoy.

Though I rate an anime not exclusively to enjoyment (but also other aspects that make an anime), the scores I give on each criteria are still base on my own judgment/opinion. So even if I really hate the anime but the art style and sounds are good to my eyes and ears, then it will end up with a score greater than 1 for me (even though my enjoyment to that anime is absolutely a 1/10 LOL).
May 16, 2017 10:34 PM

Aug 2016
I rate an anime a 1 if the anime pisses me off and I have barely any enjoyment from it (and the enjoyment isn't enough to overcome the negatives)
MechKingKillbotMay 17, 2017 9:22 AM
May 16, 2017 10:44 PM

Jul 2013
never rated a 1 before. lowest was a 4, borderline 3.
i usually don't pick stuff i don't think i'll enjoy
May 16, 2017 10:45 PM
Mar 2015
If I were to watch a show that deserves a 1 there is no point in watching so horrifying, I would simply drop it. But if I were to complete a show that received a 1 that means I was kidnapped and was forced to watch it or I was looking for alternative ways to kill myself.
May 16, 2017 10:47 PM

Jul 2013
I only really rate an anime that low as a kek, very rarely do I find a series horrid enough to actually deserve a 1 rating.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

May 16, 2017 10:48 PM

Dec 2014
never ...I usually drop anime but don't mention it in the dropped list
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

7 by IKKIsama »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
5 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
16 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
19 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.