Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 16, 2016 9:37 PM

Apr 2016
Why is everyone hating on this show? The rating is super low for a show with only like one episode. What could possibly be so bad that you'd immediately dislike it when the story hasn't even fully started?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 16, 2016 10:06 PM

Mar 2016
It was probably the first episode that had lots of bouncing melons and 400 pages of ln material crammed into 20 minutes

Second episode was a bit better although most people rated the show as a whole a 7 so far which means average on mal; I'm not really sure if you can conclude just yet that most people hate it
Aure0linOct 16, 2016 10:09 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Oct 16, 2016 10:21 PM

Apr 2016
Fred457 said:
It was probably the first episode that had lots of bouncing melons and 400 pages of ln material crammed into 20 minutes

Second episode was a bit better although most people rated the show as a whole a 7 so far which means average on mal; I'm not really sure if you can conclude just yet that most people hate it

It has an overall score of 6.61 which is pretty low for a show that JUST started...
Oct 16, 2016 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
CrashD said:
Fred457 said:

It has an overall score of 6.61 which is pretty low for a show that JUST started...

Many people rated it low and dropped it in the first ep, so it's obvious it will have low ratings like what happened with handa kun last season. Don't think that's too hard to understand.
Oct 16, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2016
Chill dude. Most people have not seen this yet or the anime is still not finish so I would say the rating is not yet final. And it is still starting just like when Mob Psycho 100 is starting it gets 6 point something rating.
Oct 17, 2016 4:46 AM

Aug 2010
Because it's not Steins;Gate tier, and people came in with high expectations of a show made by A-1 for reasons I don't understand.

I personally think this rating is an over reaction so far since there is a lack of content to make a fair judgement against the series so far, and the show will end up around a low-mid 7. First episode sucked until the end, and apparently covered an entire volume, but I personally think that of I sat through that uncompressed I would have been bored out of my mind.
Signatures Suck
Oct 17, 2016 4:58 AM

Aug 2015
Expectations getting destroyed thanks to hype+ Horridly fast pacing in ep 1 + Tits that's bigger than my future + A-1 picz
That's all I could think of but maybe that will change in the future eps except the tits part who knows
Oct 17, 2016 5:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Mostly because the first episode was absolutely horrible and so rushed it was almost incomprehensible

Second episode was a lot better though so if it maintains that kind of pacing moving forwards I'm sure the score will rise again
Oct 17, 2016 5:44 AM

Sep 2016
bad first impression
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 17, 2016 5:53 AM

Jul 2013
So the other day I started to watch the first episode, than that big boobed bitch waltzed into the room, that whole moment was just too fucken cringe for me to handle and I dropped it. If later on down the track it's worshiped or some shit then maybe I'll give it another go and try to overlook the cringe, but right now that's impossible.

Don't get me wrong, I like me some ecchi. But that big boobed girl who walked into the room just annoyed me too much, i hate characters like that ;-;

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Oct 17, 2016 6:00 AM

Mar 2012
Freshie said:
Because it's not Steins;Gate tier, and people came in with high expectations of a show made by A-1 for reasons I don't understand.

This.
Much bad faith too.
Oct 17, 2016 6:56 AM

Feb 2012
CrashD said:
Why is everyone hating on this show? The rating is super low for a show with only like one episode. What could possibly be so bad that you'd immediately dislike it when the story hasn't even fully started?

If the story doesn't start by the end of the very first episode, let alone the second one, then why am I supposed to believe it'll start in the later episodes and what's keeping me entertained until then?
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Oct 17, 2016 8:23 AM

Mar 2014
Cause...
Boob girl
Fast talking
Sometimes annoying MC
But mostly high expectations...
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Oct 17, 2016 2:10 PM
May 2010
Dunno why so many people hated giant boobs. The fanservice could be handled worse, now she's just a character appealing to certain audiences. Too bad the humor in the show sucks hard, and characters aren't that interesting.
The series so far has weird pacing, but is extremely well-animated and has a kinda interesting pulpy plot.
Oct 17, 2016 4:36 PM
Oct 2016
Yes anime boobs are often quite deserving of eyerolls, and there are certainly too many gross shows with a harem of identically-shaped girls pawing at each other for the flimsiest of justifications. That said I will also admit I have a soft spot for sexy stuff in anime when it's done well. Gotta say, Ryouka is pretty great in my book, and I actually love how over-the-top her proportions are. The storyboard artists and animators are having a great time with the silly-big-boobs trope. Despite the pacing being really fast, the blocking of Ryouka's introduction was just great, with her dancing through the rain, cavorting up the stairs and then bouncing into view in a sudden close-up. It's VERY silly but it's very well done. Her personality is very well expressed .... overall I'm just really impressed with the animation and expression in this show, and the clever camera angles chosen. It's not your typical girls-taking-off-their-bras-in-a-locker-room pap, it's inventive and well-done.

I totally get why people would be turned off of course, I mean the show isn't a sexy-pandering show otherwise so it feels really out of place..... but I LIKE how out-of-place it is, it just adds to the silly fun.

There are already hundreds of Ryouka fan arts all over the internet. Is this what a hit character looks like?
Oct 17, 2016 4:40 PM

Aug 2010
HueyLion said:
Cause...
Boob girl
Fast talking
Sometimes annoying MC
But mostly high expectations...

Since when was fast talking a bad thing? Some anime are literally built around that principle
Signatures Suck
Oct 17, 2016 4:47 PM

Aug 2012
I dont hate it but I had to drop it. The first episode felt like the talking was done in fast forward. Then they try to distract me as I try to read the subs with huge oppai. I had no idea what was going on.
Oct 17, 2016 4:51 PM

Sep 2016
Probably because of trying to summarize a work in little, and does not meet the hype because it was given.
"There are no eternal facts, as there are no absolute truths." ― Friedrich Nietzsche
Oct 17, 2016 4:55 PM
Aug 2015
Honestly the first episode was terrible. I didn't really have a problem with the fan service
Oct 17, 2016 7:53 PM

Jul 2013
It just wasn't worth it. It was too fast paced. And "Oppai girl" *ahem* let me respond to that with a video.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxzJGgox_E

Edit: As of now, I have now I gave this another shot and honestly even though it's slower paced it's still pretty bad.
GalacticMagnaOct 20, 2016 11:58 AM

Oct 17, 2016 7:57 PM

Sep 2009
Yeah, there's like maybe 10% actual plot content, 20% bouncing melons, 10% random shit, and 60% pointless and annoying random shit dialogue. Dafuq do you expect? "Ooh, I love people yammering about completely pointless random shit and bouncing melons! 10 10 10!"
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Oct 17, 2016 8:23 PM

Apr 2016
It's funny that people are being this harsh on occult nine, but yet didn't give keijo nearly as much shit lol.
And if you thought this was going to be as good as steins gate, then you set yourself up to be disappointed .
Who cares if a character has abnormally large tits lol, it's anime. It's a norm.

I think it's interesting so far and i'm really enjoying it.
Oct 17, 2016 10:55 PM

Apr 2011
The first episode was a little... odd, and the enormous boob thing was kind of weird [mostly bc I can see that they were going for a more realistic thing with how the breasts were animated, so why is she so damn tiny/skinny? It doesn't look right.] but the second episode was much much better. I'm really enjoying it, it's different than Steins;Gate but that's bc it ISN'T Steins;Gate. Plus only two episodes have aired. So.. I don't understand the overreaction either. Then again, that's a rather common thing here on MAL. :/
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Oct 17, 2016 11:47 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
i think the people don´t hate the series, the problem is that don´t get the attention. It´s a bit complicate, with more misterys!!!
Oct 17, 2016 11:50 PM

Jan 2015
Not going to dive into the comments to avoid possible spoilers, but I was very suprised. When looking at sesonal anime I think this was the most "popular" however it's rating is below 7 which surprised be quite a bit. Wondering if it will make a comeback, though I doubt it.
Oct 18, 2016 12:23 AM

Nov 2009
Well, saner people (like me) probably hold off giving it a score until the story comes together. This show is the complete opposite of episodic, after all.
Oct 18, 2016 3:16 AM
Nov 2015
Because of saturation from Huge titties.
And the noses are super weird
Also Ryo-tas is too annoying
Oct 18, 2016 7:41 AM
Mar 2016
You know, first impression is important. Many people judge a series with their first impression.

I just ... can't stand that boob size and that fast dialog that remind me of durarara
Oct 18, 2016 9:45 AM

Jul 2013
I agree with most people here, the main reason this show get's so many bad ratings was the terribly fast pacing of episode 1. The titty-thing is something I couldn't care less, I've seen worse, haha, so it didn't affect my first rating (gave it a 6 for episode 1 bc I had to download the vid and slow it down, but changed to 8 after ep2, where the pacing became normal).

EP2 was already a lot better though. The rating will change over time, so don't worry about it this early.

Frostbyte98 said:
Many people rated it low and dropped it in the first ep, so it's obvious it will have low ratings like what happened with handa kun last season. Don't think that's too hard to understand.

This a 100%. I love the Handa-kun manga, but the first episode was incredibly bad, like really, really bad. Worse than EP1 Bloodivores or EP1 Trickster, if I didn't know the greatness of the manga I would have dropped Handa-kun like a dead fish.

The first impression is VERY important, it's sad how some producers/directors completely fail to understand this. No matter how good or bad Occultic;Nine might become in the future, there are already 1,615+ people who dropped it, leaving it with a low score and in most cases not coming back. The first episode ruined it for part of the viewers & for the overall rating of the show. The "hate" isn't there for no reason. I should also add that this was a "hype" anime for many people and the hype was killed in the first ~5 minutes.
Look here for the stats: https://myanimelist.net/anime/32962/Occultic_Nine/stats
Oct 18, 2016 9:54 AM

Oct 2014
well the first episodes were a mess were nothing of signifance happened with lots of pointless expository dialogue and many unemorable characters were introduced making it impossible to care about any of them
watch durarara if you want to see an okay version of what this show is trying to do
Oct 18, 2016 9:56 AM

Oct 2014
MrStoleYourWaifu said:
It's funny that people are being this harsh on occult nine, but yet didn't give keijo nearly as much shit lol.
And if you thought this was going to be as good as steins gate, then you set yourself up to be disappointed .
Who cares if a character has abnormally large tits lol, it's anime. It's a norm.

I think it's interesting so far and i'm really enjoying it.

well everybody knows what they are getting into with keijo just by reading the premise there is not much reason to shit on it
Oct 18, 2016 9:59 AM

Feb 2016
Fred457 said:

It is low for MALs standards. I disliked the talkative MC, tits mcgee with a behavior of a 5 yro and the ridiculous pacing, although Ive seen much worse shows that get a much higher score so I dont really get it.

@MissPsychoholic I didnt think the 1st episode of Handa-kun was that bad, it wasnt very good either but it made me stick around...
Maybe its cause of my experience with Gintama and these type of episodes, idk.

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Oct 18, 2016 11:08 AM

Jul 2013
@Dishonest
Funny that you mention Gintama! I had a hard time with the beginning of that anime too, watched 3 episodes and dropped it for months. But when I picked it up again & got used to the humor, it became one of my favourite anime of all time. Gintama made me laugh, cry and excited at the same time like no other series.

Sometimes it pays to stick at something and have patience :)
Oct 18, 2016 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
It's pretty boring, and the only good thing I can say about it is there's boobs.
Oct 18, 2016 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
CrashD said:
Fred457 said:

Least it's not as bad as with Berserk 2016. The first episode dipped at 6.09
Oct 18, 2016 11:45 AM

Apr 2016
kamisama751 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Even though Berserk 2016 is much better than this (seriously).
That bad eh? Ouch.
Oct 18, 2016 11:57 AM

Oct 2014
kamisama751 said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Even though Berserk 2016 is much better than this (seriously).

at least occultic nine has okay animation
berserk 2016 has no redeeming qualities
Oct 18, 2016 12:17 PM

Oct 2014
kamisama751 said:
gabrielrroiz said:

at least occultic nine has okay animation
berserk 2016 has no redeeming qualities

Not anymore when boobs take up the whole screen. And the content of bereserk 2016 is better.

The content of berserk is better but i find it more agravating
It is such a lazy adaptation that really has no purpose besides making the source looks worst
Oct 18, 2016 12:58 PM
Apr 2016
I wasn't super into it. Because i felt like they were talking at 100 mile an hour and just started rambling .
Oct 18, 2016 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
I dont want to be this guy, but its rated low because people gave it a low score. Why? because they dont like it. Why? Because it was very bad as a first ep.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 18, 2016 3:14 PM

May 2010
You have to admit the first episode was a mess....
Oct 18, 2016 4:46 PM
Mar 2015
I Usually don't say this about shows, but this piece of excrement is worse than anything I have watched in a while. Crunchyroll really got F**ed when they purchased the rights to this POS.
Oct 18, 2016 5:05 PM
Jan 2015
I am very confused about all the hate it's getting. So far I think it's been amazing, 9/10. The story is so interesting and it already is getting very suspenseful. It's been solid all around with each of the characters, music, composition, background art, and the op & ed are incredible. Not a fan of the Ultra C Cup though.

The first episode I found completely fine and understandable besides the fast talking. And I don't think they adapted everything up to page 400. Some parts they skipped over were probably included in the second. The beginning seemed boring anyway, so I'm glad they went straight to the murder to capture our attention.
Oct 18, 2016 7:05 PM
Jul 2018
Boopers, and because from the first episode it seems nothing more than "LOLSORANDOM" characters with plot twists that weren't all that interesting/surprising.
Oct 18, 2016 8:41 PM

Apr 2016
Dahyun said:
You have to admit the first episode was a mess....

I actually liked it. I admit that it was fast, but I think the way they handled the introduction of the different characters was different and I enjoyed it.
Oct 19, 2016 12:25 AM

Nov 2009
MissPsychoholic said:
The first impression is VERY important, it's sad how some producers/directors completely fail to understand this. No matter how good or bad Occultic;Nine might become in the future, there are already 1,615+ people who dropped it, leaving it with a low score and in most cases not coming back.

I disagree. First impression doesn't matter all that much when you have reputation from other;titles. And those people who have dropped it? They were never the target audience in the first place. This show isn't for impatient people, by its very structure.
Oct 19, 2016 2:52 AM

Jun 2011
CrashD said:

I suggest you ignore the overall rating of animes in general. Such ratings give you little to no insight whatsoever.
Oct 19, 2016 6:48 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Mixture of two things.

1. The first episode was a clusterfuck, lightspeed pacing and no one was prepared for it.

2. People fapped over the semicolon in the title and expected way more than this actually is.
Oct 19, 2016 6:15 PM
Jun 2010
I personally didn't enjoy the first two episodes. The world thus far in Occultic;Nine is completely undefined, lacks atmosphere, and the characters seem like they belong in a moe anime (and I like moe). It might also be getting a lot of criticism from people that normally wouldn't watch a supernatural or occult focused anime. It seems silly, but people that loved Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head came expecting a psychological science thriller, and instead found bouncing fast talking unlikable characters with more silliness than a comedy anime with occultic conspiracy theories in the land of nonsense. Will fans of Supernatural and Occultic anime like it? Probably. Will Steins;Gate fans like it? Not inherently.
DeltaK317Oct 21, 2016 1:15 PM
Oct 20, 2016 4:34 AM

Nov 2009
DeltaK317 said:
I personally didn't enjoy the first two episodes. The world thus far in Occultic;Nine is completely undefined, lacks atmosphere, and the characters seem like they belong in a moe anime (and I like moe). It might also be getting a lot of criticism from people that normally wouldn't watch a supernatural or cult focused anime. It seems silly, but people that loved Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head came expecting a psychological science thriller, and instead found bouncing fast talking unlikable characters with more silliness than a comedy anime with cultic conspiracy theories in the land of nonsense. Will fans of Supernatural and Cultic anime like it? Probably. Will Steins;Gate fans like it? Not inherently.

"Occult" isn't the same word as "cult".
"Occult" means something like "hidden magical knowledge", and it's used to describe stuff like ghosts, Ouija boards, fortune telling, real-life magic...
"Cult" means something like "bad religion", it's used to describe groups like scientology, satanism, Aum Shinrikyo, and many others. Note that the term is meant as a term of abuse, and thus can be applied to any religious group one doesn't like. Some are just like ordinary religions, but more zealous and unwilling to deal with outsiders, and the worst ones release poison gases upon innocent people.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

172 by Selltar »»
Jun 10, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 8, 2016

450 by Selltar »»
Jun 10, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2016

217 by Archean-Return »»
May 21, 8:46 AM

Poll: » Occultic;Nine Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

95 by Archean-Return »»
May 20, 2:36 PM

» For the people who seen it

mathbg - Sep 8, 2023

3 by mathbg »»
Sep 9, 2023 8:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.