Forum Settings
Forums

That one generally appreciated anime that you couldn't bring yourself to like?

New
Jul 30, 2016 6:18 AM

Apr 2014
Dunno if this has been done before, but I'm curious.

As the title says, name one (Preferably pick just one) anime that almost everyone likes that you couldn't get into. When I say generally liked, I'm talking about the non-controversial, non hate-or-like type series (Basically, excluding stuff like SAO, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. which have very mixed reactions)

I'll go first - No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to like Monster. I kept going for 17 episodes (which is an unusually long time for me), but it was too slow, heavy and honestly, boring. I know pretty well that it'll get better over time, but I just couldn't go any further.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 30, 2016 6:22 AM

May 2016
Fairy Tail...
Not even once, sorry.
Jul 30, 2016 6:22 AM
Aug 2015
DarthBob said:
Dunno if this has been done before, but I'm curious.

As the title says, name one (Preferably pick just one) anime that almost everyone likes that you couldn't get into. When I say generally liked, I'm talking about the non-controversial, non hate-or-like type series (Basically, excluding stuff like SAO, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. which have very mixed reactions)

I'll go first - No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to like Monster. I kept going for 17 episodes (which is an unusually long time for me), but it was too slow, heavy and honestly, boring. I know pretty well that it'll get better over time, but I just couldn't go any further.

mine would be one punch man its not funny
punchline did it better "making fun of superhero tropes"
Jul 30, 2016 6:28 AM

Jul 2015
there is a lot of anime considered masterpiece but i cant bring myself to like them
some of them : Monster like you said it was boring too slow and i lost interest after 12ep
monogatari serie : couldnt stand the art style and that pedo mc
Mushishi : boring
Jul 30, 2016 6:29 AM

Jan 2016
Well going off highest rated on this site, definitely Erased. But even that got mixed reactions from the reviews. So personally I tend to enjoy the anime that is always considered "good".
Jul 30, 2016 6:30 AM

Jan 2016
tragedydesu said:
there is a lot of anime considered masterpiece but i cant bring myself to like them
some of them : Monster like you said it was boring too slow and i lost interest after 12ep
monogatari serie : couldnt stand the art style and that pedo mc
Mushishi : boring

Also going off this, I find all 3 you stated masterpieces. Well opinions are opinions.
Jul 30, 2016 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
Death Note starting the Misa arc.

Also if managed well, there is no reason to remove the existence of prisoners.
Jul 30, 2016 6:33 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist...
The entire lot of them I just cannot get behind and think are greatly overrated. Sorry everyone, but that's honestly what I think of FMA entirely.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm just gonna retreat to my bomb shelter.

"๐šƒ๐š’๐š–๐šŽ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š–๐š’๐šก ๐š๐š›๐š’๐š—๐š”๐šœ ๐šŠ๐š—๐š ๐šŒ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š—๐š๐šŽ ๐š•๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ๐šœ."
โ˜† ๐™ฐ๐š—๐š’๐š–๐šŽ ๐™ป๐š’๐šœ๐š โ˜†
โ˜† ๐š…๐™ฝ๐™ณ๐š‹ โ˜†
โ˜† ๐™ฑ๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š”๐š•๐š˜๐š๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐šข โ˜†
Jul 30, 2016 6:34 AM

Feb 2013
kaichou wa maid sama is the highest rated anime i've given 7
not funny and unlikable characters, except the 5 twins
Jul 30, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2013
Clannad, can't really feel the drama in the anime, idk if it's just bad adaptation or what.
However I liked the other works of Key and Jun Maeda.
Feb 2016
I haven't watched past the first episode, but it would have to be Revolutionary Girl Utena for me. I thought the first episode didn't have a good idea of its tone, the art looked ugly and none of the characters were entertaining or likeable. I couldn't care less what Utena would do next, especially as she seems to be a relatively bland Mary Sue... The feminist message was obvious and overdone, too.
Jul 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist
I dislike all the characters
Jul 30, 2016 6:40 AM

May 2016
Akira. The art, animation, soundtrack, and atmosphere are fucking legendary, yes, but the story and characters are bad. Like, really bad. Like, holy-shit-are-you-kidding-me bad.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jul 30, 2016 6:43 AM

Sep 2015
All of them. All generally appreciated anime are overrated pieces of garbage. I don't get how people can't realize that their taste is shit.
Am I a special snowflake yet?
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jul 30, 2016 6:46 AM

May 2016
-Senpai- said:
All of them. All generally appreciated anime are overrated pieces of garbage. I don't get how people can't realize that their taste is shit.
Am I a special snowflake yet?

No, you need to commit Sapporo to achieve snowflake status.

Jul 30, 2016 6:48 AM
Jul 2013
TTGL. I just have trouble listening to Kamina. Everyone that I've talked to about this show tells me that it gets better in the second half, but I'm never getting to that point if I can't stand someone in the first half.
Jul 30, 2016 6:50 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
KonoSuba, I don't find the humor funny and there is some strange masochistic girl I want to punch in the face whenever I see her

Prison School, I don't wanna see demonic women from hell who like to torture men whenever they can anymore. They should've appeared in Berserk instead.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Jul 30, 2016 6:55 AM

Jul 2016
Cowboy Bebop i just couldn't see what all the fuss was about i found myself being as bored as the characters were most of the time and idk is that the point?if so not my kinda thing but the ending was nice tho .
Jul 30, 2016 6:57 AM

May 2016
nightlur said:
Cowboy Bebop i just couldn't see what all the fuss was about i found myself being as bored as the characters were most of the time and idk is that the point?if so not my kinda thing but the ending was nice tho .

It's a tremendously well-crafted love letter to classic action cinema (kung-fu, film noir, sci-fi, etc.) as well as classic genres of music (blues, jazz, funk, etc.). Damn near everything about it is polished to perfection.

Jul 30, 2016 6:58 AM

May 2015
Hellsing's Ultimate's first episode was SHIT. I couldn't finish it, and if that's what the series is going to be like 20 minutes in, fuck it then.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 30, 2016 7:01 AM

Aug 2013
Definitely Monster. I wanted to try something new and back then, Monster was in the Top 10 on MAL. It had crazy rating and was supposed to be sophisticated. I didnt like it from the getgo. It was excruciating, but I wanted to give it a fair chance. So I forced myself through 32 episodes, hoping it would get better. It got worse…

I think its because I live in Germany, and the anime did a HORRIBLE job portraying it. The scenery (streets, windows, DOOR KNOBS), the social life (e.g. German manners and ways, Turkish community), everything was off. It just kept on taking me out and I was already bored by the pacing.
Jul 30, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
mushishi

boring as fuckkkkkk.

sorry not sorry.

โ•ฎ (. โ› แด— โ›.) โ•ญ

Jul 30, 2016 7:08 AM

May 2016
i think that gintama could be a wonderful torture method

kamisama751 said:
It is the god damn awful Steins;Gate.
+1

+1 for monster too
Jul 30, 2016 7:09 AM

Jul 2015
That I finished, AnoHana, I can't stand the characters, specially Menma, and the story could have been solved in around 4 episodes, but drags out like crazy.

That I just can't continue watching, I will go for Haikyuu, like, well, every other sports anime that isn't Ping Pong, the formula of sports anime just bores me a lot in general, and the third season is coming in the next one, so I doubt I will ever catch up, just too long.

Also I'm having a lot of troubles watching FMA;B, I watch 2 or 3 episodes one day, then I'm 2 weeks without watching it, it's not bad, but I just don't have the motivation to keep watching that other anime have.
Jul 30, 2016 7:12 AM

Apr 2015
Konosuba, idk why people liked. I personally found the jokes pretty unfunny and the characters and plot boring.

Jul 2016
Zelkiiro said:
nightlur said:

It's a tremendously well-crafted love letter to classic action cinema (kung-fu, film noir, sci-fi, etc.) as well as classic genres of music (blues, jazz, funk, etc.). Damn near everything about it is polished to perfection.

Yes it had a nice soundtrack and the action scenes were enjoyable for the most part but you need more than that to be great IMO.Its a good show but no world building and the villain was just slapped in there with no depth or motivation he was just a strong evil guy.

Jul 2016
Yep, another Monster here (I don't watch the anime, but I finished the manga). I forced myself through this one, because I was really curious about the mystery. Not worth it, neither the journey nor the destination was fun. Well, it was interesting at first. Then, it was dragged like crazy. Too many unimportant things happening, too many unimportant (and uninteresting) characters.

Some others that I can remember are:
Monogatari Series
Ano Hana
Durarara!!
Toradora!
Haganai
Nagi no Asukara

Probably one day I would rewatch some of them to see if I have a change of view.
Jul 30, 2016 7:15 AM

Dec 2013
resniperowl said:
TTGL. I just have trouble listening to Kamina. Everyone that I've talked to about this show tells me that it gets better in the second half, but I'm never getting to that point if I can't stand someone in the first half.

Kamina
trust me it gets better ahaha

tbh... i dislike KILL LA KILL from the bottom of my heart.

Syrup-
Trust me when I give you this profound answer:
It's shit.

Jul 30, 2016 7:17 AM

May 2015
Most generally well received anime I don't like were disappointments but Re:Zero didn't even manage to be a disappointment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 30, 2016 7:23 AM
Jan 2016
- Death Note. I suffered through it until L died and dropped it right afterwards. It wasn't bad, but I just didn't particularly like it.

- Code Geass. I don't like mecha and the MC annoyed me. Watched several episodes and dropped it. Not my thing I guess.

- Fairy Tail. It was fine until that moment where they... I don't really remember, entered an alternate dimension and then came back several years later to see the guild weakened or something. At that point I was already about ready to drop it due to the powers being rather boring, the characters being rather flat and the fanservice being a bit too much for an action adventure series.
Jul 30, 2016 7:23 AM

Jan 2016
Fate UBW, a lot of people recommended it to me when it was still airing. Usually i like action anime but not this one.

Someday i will try to rewatch it.
Jul 30, 2016 7:25 AM
Jan 2016
It is definitely ano hana and toradora the both of them are so boring and there is nothing interesting in them
Jul 30, 2016 7:28 AM

Jun 2016
Still can't get myself passed episode 1 of one punch man.
Jul 30, 2016 7:29 AM

Jan 2014
Anohana, Steins;Gate, and I can't really think of any more off the top of my head.
Was really let down, they were recommended to be good but was a bit little down with them.
Expecteted Steins;Gate to be a masterpiece and Anohaha to make me cry
Jul 30, 2016 7:30 AM

Jun 2016
Neon genesis evangelion it was a painful experience I watched it because the hype surrounding it and couldn't bring myself to like it
Stein gate that show bored me to death I dropped it after ep 8 .
Jul 30, 2016 7:31 AM

Jan 2016
nightlur said:

This. Just because it's western themed people praise it like it is the best thing ever created.
Jul 30, 2016 7:34 AM

Mar 2016
Pretty much every mainstream anime ever. Especially Madoka, that thing sucks. And Problem Children.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
โค๏ธ Birdie โค๏ธ

Jul 30, 2016 7:34 AM

Jun 2014
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Whichever way I see it, it makes no goddamn sense or logic, and is too over-the-top. It basically relies on Yoko's breasts and Kamina's manliness(?) to get through. I liked Kill la Kill, but TTGL, just no.

ToraDora! - I don't know why, but I just don't like this. I have watched a lot of rom-coms, but ToraDora felt purely like a mix of meaningless filler and people with issues that can resolved much easier than that in the anime.
Jul 30, 2016 7:43 AM

Oct 2014
Cowboybebop-Music was good, same with character interactions and perhaps the fights but god damn everything else was boring. I mean it was a decent show I kid you not, especially toward the end and the movie was good but it doesn't live up to the lengths to which overhype it.

Sword art online- perhaps good concept, fast paced and fairly done romance for teens but it just doesn't change the fact that it was shit.

Hyouka- I've seen people compare to SNAFU but god no, fuck no it's not even remotely similar. The main dish of the show was the MC's laziness and even that was done horribly.(yes that means every other character in the show is boring asf due to having little to no development) In fact tanaka-kun wa itsumo kedaruge had done a much better job presenting a lazy Mc with interesting side characters and decent dialogue.

Tokyo ghoul (manga)-Instant snooze.

Those are what I thought of at the moment

Jul 30, 2016 7:43 AM
Jun 2015
One Punch Man and Madoka Magica. I like them but I thought that I'd love them and they disappointed me.
Jul 30, 2016 7:45 AM
Jan 2014
Angel Beats, Code Geass, Ano Hana, Akira, Baccano, Shin Sekai Yori, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Evangelion too.
I don't hate them, but I don't like them very much either.
Jul 30, 2016 7:47 AM

Aug 2015
Hmm.... Death Notto???
I don't even know how such a shitty anime became the most popular anime in the world
Jul 30, 2016 7:52 AM

Sep 2010
YaoiMaster said:
Pretty much every mainstream anime ever. Especially Madoka, that thing sucks. And Problem Children.

Yeah PMMM sucks donkey balls. the only reddeming features on taht show is the cinematography during the witch fights. those a re pretty decent and well animated.

there's also HxH 2011, but i still gave it a 7, so i don't think that should count
EDIT: there's also Boku dake machi ga Inai that butchered the source material like jason in crystal lake camp
XykkoJul 30, 2016 8:13 AM

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Jul 30, 2016 7:56 AM

Jun 2016
MetaThPr4h said:

Also I'm having a lot of troubles watching FMA;B, I watch 2 or 3 episodes one day, then I'm 2 weeks without watching it, it's not bad, but I just don't have the motivation to keep watching that other anime have.

watch it until ep 14 if this episode didn't blow you away then nothing could hook you.
I forced myself to watch the first 13 episodes but I get rewarded for my patience with one of the best anime I've ever seen.
bigmustache93Aug 1, 2016 11:41 AM
Jul 30, 2016 8:04 AM

Dec 2014
Steins;Gate - I got myself overhyped do to the... comunity... and ended up being quite dissapointed by the fact that I actually like science and by the numerous plot holes...

Cowboy Bebop - I saw this on Animax, so I seen some episodes out of order... but anyway, what I saw is far from impressive... story wise - the music was decent and art is top tier for that era.

Ginatama - I saw just 12 episodes... I heard that it gets better after like 30, but is quite damn hard to reach that number when the first 30 are... well, you know... kind of boring. But that episode where they steped on mines was really good. I will probably get back to it, someday, but at this point its been on hold for months and all those seasonal anime keeps me busy.

Let me make clear, those are not anime I hate, is just that I didn't particulary liked them.
Jul 30, 2016 8:07 AM

Jul 2014
I have a lot of examples in mind, but the one that stands out most in my mind is almost any Shaft show. I'm not even biased against them, I even like a few of their shows, but the majority of their shows (or at least the ones that I've seen) are either garbage or mediocre.

I find it hard to get excited when something I'd be interested in watching is done by this studio, not because all of their shows are bad (they're not), but because the ones I disliked almost all had the same issues.

I also disliked most Gainax shows I've seen. Again, not biased against the studio, but I just thought FLCL was boring and Panty and Stocking was an extremely unfunny mess. And since I haven't seen many Gainax shows, well...
D-ohnutsJul 30, 2016 8:13 AM
Jul 30, 2016 8:10 AM
Sep 2014
Shingeki no Kyojin, it doesn't matter how many good things i have read/listen about it, it just simply doesn't call my attention
Jul 30, 2016 8:11 AM
Sep 2015
emm One piece?,well i dont like any anime that have too many episode,to be exactly the one which doesn't have ending!
Jul 30, 2016 8:11 AM

Dec 2015
FMA - It's good and I respect it, but it never really appealed to me all that much.

Norogami - It's garbage and I have no idea why everyone likes it so much.
Jul 30, 2016 8:12 AM

Jan 2016
code geass, fma, and panty & stocking. i know some people really really REALLY like them, but they just weren't for me i guess. i may give fma another shot though, but i mean i've tried watching it like five times now (including the times my friends sat me down and forced me to watch it) but it just never grabs my interest. i'm not sure is panty & stocking counts as a hate-or-love situation, but i've also tried to watch it several times now bcus other people like it, and i just couldn't get into it.
im apollo ¯\_(ใƒ„)_/¯ they/them pls
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Will we get more anime's that reflect "Stoner Comedy"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 7 hours ago

29 by Kwanthemaster »»
29 seconds ago

» So, what's the oldest anime you've ever watched?

Gashadokur0 - Today

43 by TsutanaiFuun »»
5 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Mid-Season Ranking

NoelleIsSleepy - 1 hour ago

9 by Prupel1 »»
19 minutes ago

» Ever thought an anime was a MASTERPIECE, then changed your mind? Or vice versa?

Rhae - 2 hours ago

3 by rey_n »»
21 minutes ago

» Who is the most overrated villain in anime?

The-Wombat - 2 hours ago

3 by shyam_patel »»
2 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.