Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2016 8:15 AM

Dec 2013
Argh... I want to watch the whole thing but I don't think I'm ready for an emotional rollercoaster.

Anyway was really great for a first episode, they really did a good job capturing the mood of the story.
Jul 3, 2016 8:15 AM

Jan 2013
Pretty good start. I don't like the weird quick cuts though. Makes scenes feel hectic even though they are just standing there talking.
Jul 3, 2016 8:19 AM
May 2016
ixaa said:
ri-chan8144 said:
Naho looks like Futaba, Kakeru looks like Kou and Azu looks like the girl in Death Parade.

The Orange manga came out before Ao Haru Ride's manga thoughh... so Futaba looks like Naho and Kou looks like Kakeru.
ixaa said:
ri-chan8144 said:
Naho looks like Futaba, Kakeru looks like Kou and Azu looks like the girl in Death Parade.

The Orange manga came out before Ao Haru Ride's manga thoughh... so Futaba looks like Naho and Kou looks like Kakeru.

Hai hai... I know.. XD
Jul 3, 2016 8:26 AM
Sep 2015
Lelouch0202 said:

kalinime said:
Can anyone explain to me why the fuck she did not read the entire letter the first chance she got? "Oh, Kakeru hasn't shown up to school for two weeks now, maybe I should check to see if the letter has anything to say about this" - just want kind of insane plot induced stupidity is this?

Please tell me if it just keeps going like this, where you have to turn off your brain in service of feels.....

There are some subtle differences in the anime when compared to the manga, When she first reads the letter in class, She reads the first entry and passes it of as a prank. After going home she proceeds to compare her current diary entry to the one in the letter and after realizing that they are similar she stops reading the letter again stating that she's scared that this truly might be about the future and if so she doesn't want to know what happens. She only opens the letter again after 2 weeks where she learns about the ball game. If such stuff bothers you, I think it'd be a good idea to follow the anime and manga in parallel or just read the manga.

Oh, wow, that's quite the crucial bits of information skipped for no reason. Anime dropped.

Might read the manga, since it's on Crunchyroll.
Jul 3, 2016 8:27 AM

Oct 2013
At this point, I'm so fucking sick of Hanazawa and her voice.
Jul 3, 2016 8:35 AM

Dec 2012
This first episode looks good. The animation is good and the characters looks interesting, even if I have a problem with the face of the bakery girl.
Jul 3, 2016 8:37 AM

Apr 2015
Pretty shit for a first episode.
Characters were really bland, things were hinted at but nothing happened at all.
Looks like it'll be shoujo bullshit.
Very boring. Tempted to drop on ep 2 if nothing happens again.

MUH FEELS INC in the comments. shut up.

2/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 8:49 AM
Jul 2015
natsu791 said:
After i finished ReLife, everything else seem inferior =/

ReLIFE is just masterpiece of feels that's why
Jul 3, 2016 9:03 AM

Aug 2008
Look promising so far.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jul 3, 2016 9:04 AM

Sep 2015
That was a nice first episode. Characters are much more likeable than I expected.
Jul 3, 2016 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
It was pretty good! The animation was so good! The opening and ending were nice!
Jul 3, 2016 9:13 AM

Oct 2015
min said:

i think if you'd both had read the manga you'd like this show much more. i watched the live action and it was really disappointing imo but so far the anime is really accurate so pls give it a chance ~

Oh you thought so? Live-actions always tend to be worse than the manga or anime, that's common sense but I thought it was quite good. I guess that the manga will be best out of those three, though. And of course I was going to give it a chance ! I really like the plot but maybe I was expecting something different for the first episode so that's why I might have been disappointed.
Anyways, I am looking forward to more episodes ^3^
Jul 3, 2016 9:54 AM

Feb 2015
Oh man, this looks so much better than I could have hoped in terms of the color palette and everything. It feels just like the manga.

I almost wish this was a full-season release like ReLife just so I could watch it all. Cannot wait for some of the later scenes to be adapted. I can already feel the feels just from the first episode.

A couple minor gripes though: I can tell some of the anime-only viewers in here are upset with how accepting Naho is about the whole ordeal, and that is the fault of the adaptation thus far. They glossed over her initially thinking the letter was a prank, and her refusal to believe that a letter could possibly come from the future which led to her shutting it away for two weeks in her drawer until her curiosity got the better of her.

Hoping this will possibly continue the 1:1 pace for chapter:episode. With 22 chapters, 22 episodes would be ideal. A little worried if it gets crammed into 13 episodes.
CC9ersJul 3, 2016 10:24 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2016 9:54 AM

Jun 2008
Kakeru my precious cinnamonroll <3

Not sure how i feel about the adaption yet, but i enjoyed the first episode.
Jul 3, 2016 10:02 AM

Dec 2013
Alright, the synopsis piqued my curiosity and the art did well to reel me in. The animation for this show reminds me of the type they did for the Ao Haru Ride adaptation, which personally was a welcome plus for this show.

The supernatural element of this show so far was pretty much minimal. I can see this being more Drama SoL than anything else.

Still, as an anime-only viewer, I really have to ask: Do they ever explain how Naho managed to send a letter back into the past? Or was that part completely glossed over? It seems too important a plot point not to have an explanation so I'll be pretty disappointed if they never explain how it works.

Will we get some dramatic Terminator-esque plot twist down the line? Or does this follow mostly the typical Shoujo plot line with just that extra bit of supernatural flavor around the edges?
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 3, 2016 10:02 AM

Jun 2012
Pretty good adaption so far, felt a bit underwhelmed though with a few things. It felt a tad dull compared to the manga. Have high hopes that it will pick up shortly though.
Jul 3, 2016 10:18 AM

Feb 2015
L-Ryoshi said:
Alright, the synopsis piqued my curiosity and the art did well to reel me in. The animation for this show reminds me of the type they did for the Ao Haru Ride adaptation, which personally was a welcome plus for this show.

The supernatural element of this show so far was pretty much minimal. I can see this being more Drama SoL than anything else.

Still, as an anime-only viewer, I really have to ask: Do they ever explain how Naho managed to send a letter back into the past? Or was that part completely glossed over? It seems too important a plot point not to have an explanation so I'll be pretty disappointed if they never explain how it works.

Will we get some dramatic Terminator-esque plot twist down the line? Or does this follow mostly the typical Shoujo plot line with just that extra bit of supernatural flavor around the edges?

One of the chapters was completely dedicated to future Naho, and it explained how she planned on sending the letter back. So it isn't glossed over completely like the Revival ability in Erased.
Jul 3, 2016 10:24 AM
Nov 2015
L-Ryoshi said:

As far as I can recall, the time-travel element was explained, though I don't think it was very thorough.
Jul 3, 2016 10:45 AM

May 2015
What a promising first episode! Unlike some of the rushed and action packed premieres this season, Orange had a first episode that highlighted the peacefulness and laid back atmosphere. The backgrounds especially helped with this. This kind of first episode'll definitely help when (I'm guessing here since I'm an anime only watcher) things likely pick up. I'm also really liking Hana Kanazawa as Naho, she always does a good job. I'm definitely looking forward to watching this every week!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 3, 2016 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
One of the rare anime adaptation that i have read the manga off, so far it's amazing !
Jul 3, 2016 11:04 AM

Nov 2009
I read the manga since it first came out, and having finished it, it's inevitable for me not to be critical about the anime.

There were angles in the animation that were awkward. The song inserts can be quite startling as well lol. The transitions are somewhat rushed and also rough. Other than that, the visuals are quite stunning, and the voice acting good.

People kept mentioning Ao Haru Ride, but to be honest, I loved the manga of Orange more than AHR's. There are reasons behind Naho's underreactions and hesitations, and I'd like to see them unfold more in the anime.

"Belief is the death of intelligence." ~Robert Anton Wilson~
Jul 3, 2016 11:11 AM

Feb 2016
Very nicely adapted i cant wait to see the rest of the series If they do a faithful adaptation its safe to say Orange could end up as the best series of 2016 (not including continuations like Gintama, Haikyuu or Shokugeki)
Jul 3, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2016
I haven't read the manga..but I already called that Kakeru will be dead when they showed the picture at the beginning...

and how come this plot seems so familiar? like i've seen it in another anime? anyone ring a bell?

It's gonna be a real depressing anime for sure..i dont dare to watch it ><
Jul 3, 2016 11:16 AM

Jul 2010
I totally loved it <3 but, is it just me or the animation/pacing/art/production seems kinda off? I don't know what it is, but there's something that makes the anime seem weird in visual terms.

"You don't only belong to yourself, you know? There isn't anything in this world that belongs only to yourself."

Jul 3, 2016 11:17 AM

Oct 2011
Great music & art, and it definitely looks like it'll make me cry by the end

Jul 3, 2016 11:23 AM
Sep 2009
Is it just me who finds it weird that she did not read whole letter right away as any person would?
Jul 3, 2016 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
Damn loved this first episode! Awesome OST, OP & ED, and the visuals are just amazing and beautiful. Great character designs and love the interactions. Man, feels incoming, I can already sense it. Love the concept and setting too. Awesome start.
Jul 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Jul 2013
I liked it. Nothing really exciting for the moment and it felt dull in some parts, but the sci-fi stuff (the letters send from the future that Naho receives and the ending), is interesting. It looks it will be a Slice of Life Drama, and I'm totally fine with it (I expect melodrama too, but since I haven't read the manga, I must be wrong).

The designs of the characters are a bit weird (especially the one of the blonde girl), but are not very bothersome. OP and ED were okay. Voice acting of the main character is for the moment good (well, it's HanaKana after all), and none of the voices of the characters annoyed me, so that's good.

The ending shows that Naho married Suwa and has a kid with him and (speculation)

Let's see how this turns out.
IllyricusJul 3, 2016 2:46 PM
Jul 3, 2016 11:57 AM

Apr 2014
Vacu0us said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I thought it was going to be a lot more enjoyable than what it has turned out to be. Can't really say I like this adaption from what I've seen so far in the first episode but it has plenty of time to redeem itself. Although the OP and ED were quite nice!

It was good to see Kakeru smile and the whole group together.

Good job for watching the anime or making the thread before stark. LOL.
Jul 3, 2016 11:59 AM

Oct 2008
Seems really slow paced because the manga is really short, but will keep watching anyway.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Jul 3, 2016 12:02 PM

Oct 2008
Wow, they made this very mainstream art-wise and with the OPED choices, wonder if it will penetrate beyond the usual otaku audience.
Jul 3, 2016 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
The harsh blown out lighting is kind of weird for this series

Decent enough adaptation of the manga
Jul 3, 2016 12:27 PM

Sep 2014
Probably my favorite first episode so far this season.

I really like the laid back feeling, and how the characters aren't overly obnoxious like your average romance anime. The atmosphere feels melancholic but has a nice feel to it, and the sound track makes it all the more relaxing.

Who knows, it can get worse or end up really good.
Jul 3, 2016 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
I hope the dialogue picks up, and not really a fan of the awkward jumps in the anime. It doesn't even try to explain why she falls in love with Naho, it just seems like a given in the anime lol I don't know but it seems like they cut off a lot of stuff from the manga? Maybe they are trying to fit this into a full adaptation and that's why they are trying to skip to the part where Naho finds out

which will probably come next episode or two
zzzeallyJul 3, 2016 12:41 PM

Jul 3, 2016 12:49 PM
May 2016
I liked the first episode more than i thought. i can't wait to see how it all unfolds. especially at the end of the episode what that letter said how he won't be with them in 10 years. like what. i am anxiously waiting for the next episode to come out .
Jul 3, 2016 12:56 PM

Feb 2010
All aboard the feels train!
I've watched live-action, so no surprises for me regarding the plot, but I have to say Naho was more surprised about the letter in it, than was shown here, and it had more impact. I also like her "design" in live-action better. Takako is great, though. Suwa is more active, they might have more lines than in movie.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Jul 3, 2016 12:58 PM
Jun 2010
straggy said:
Though the thing that bothers me most about this is the end scene... She's married with a child. Why would you try to change your life and talk about how you regret everything you've done when you've already settled down with a family? It's too late for that now. If she really regretted everything this much, she'd have done something about it before now and not ended up just forsaking the people she's supposed to love and be there for. Take some goddamn responsibility; you're a mother now.

THIS!
I was waiting for this comment. Why would you endanger the whole life you built with your family because of some regret from your past? We all have regrets... you just get over them and try to not make them happen again. So she's basically saying: fu*k my life with my husband and my child and let's change everything that has happened so far. The worst part really is that if your are actually considering the butterfly effect of these changes from so far in the past, it's pretty much a guarantee that you're erasing the kid that you have brought to this world from existence. That's some really good parenting, huh?!

I wonder why the author didn't just make she a single woman with no kid in the future. This very small but crucial detail changes this story from being a beautiful one to a messed up one.

Edit: Typo.
cavrJul 3, 2016 2:37 PM
Jul 3, 2016 1:05 PM
Jun 2014
As a manga reader I really think they did justice to the first chapter. I see everyone complaining on the OST and silent stills but those were exactly what I imagined so its a straight 10 for me :")
Ps. The theme for the story is to hold on and treasure those small joys of life. Not "getting over regrets and moving on". In that context the manga (not the anime for now) is really beautiful and sweet. As I really felt connected to this manga, ofc my emotions for this are different than most v.v
Jul 3, 2016 1:24 PM

May 2015
Promising episode, but i have a felling that is was rushed. Hope this will get better and better.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 3, 2016 1:36 PM

Mar 2015
I know this anime will emotionally rape me. But it picked my interest.

Poor Kakeru. I did not read the source material. But he had a death flag from the start.

So just my theory after watching the first episode: Kakeru will - for some reason - die within 10 years from now. The MC will marry the other guy and have a baby.

But I wonder how exactly this future-letter thing works? How did the letter come to the MC in the first place? Time travel? And could Kakeru's death have been prevented if she would have followed the instructions of her future self? Maybe the letter influences the flow of events and in the end Kakeru survives?

So many questions. I really like this shows premise.

Is the source material finished?
Jul 3, 2016 1:46 PM

May 2015
JkayW said:
Characters were really bland, things were hinted at but nothing happened at all.

2/5

How about you shut up with your bs.

Jul 3, 2016 2:03 PM

Feb 2014
As an anime-only viewer, I was curious about how Naho was able to sent a letter to her younger self. After thinking about it, I wouldn't be surprised if time travel was used for it. ^^;

Still, the overall episode was great. Lovely visuals, enjoyable OP and ED songs and the characters themselves are very relaxed, laid back and a joy to watch. It already reminds me of my school days now. =D
Jul 3, 2016 2:08 PM

Apr 2015
Kittens-kun said:
JkayW said:

2/5

How about you shut up with your bs.

>SOMEONE HAS A DIFFERENT OPINION THAN ME! WAHHH WAHH WAHHH WAHH.

Shut up. I'm not faking how I think. It's all potential and no substance in episode one. All anyone has said about the episode is the potential it has, not what it brought. Your not a gypsy. Judge what's there, not what isn't.

You sourcefags make me sick.
Jul 3, 2016 2:26 PM

Nov 2015
OMG OMG OMG!!! I'M FANGIRLING SO MUCH RIGHT NOW!!! THIS IS THE FIRST MANGA I'VE KNOWN BEFORE IT WAS AN ANIME AND IT'S JUST SO BEAUTIFUL, I'M SO GLAD THIS ANIME HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL (unlike ReLife u.u)
I'M SO HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING: THE ANIMATION, THE MUSIC, THE VISUALS, THE VOICE ACTORS, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!!!!! I CRIED AS SOON AS IT STARTED AND WHEN IT FINISHED AND I'M STILL CRYING AS I WRITE THIS POST!!!!! JLFNSDJKLXNVJH VRJDNFIRU
I think I'm going to save the following episodes and then binge-watch them when they are all out, i won't be eable to stand the wait :'D

P.S. Everyone: prepare for the tears
Jul 3, 2016 2:33 PM

Feb 2014
Love the ED, It's by Kobukuro after all. Also love the colorful and beautiful visuals and the faithful adaption but as a fan I really didn't like the animation of the characters' faces, they were seriously kinda weird and funny. Anyway, looking 4ward to it from now on~ 4/5
dolly94Jul 3, 2016 2:38 PM
Jul 3, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2015
I already love this anime!
kinda reminds me of Ao Haru Ride tho..
and I think the opening is kinda annoying because 8mm autistic and can't handle things that move too fastly..
also they gave me too little time to read all these letters, so I had to pause the anime like all the time.
I really love the art, characters and plot.
Jul 3, 2016 2:41 PM

Aug 2013
Wtf are you talking about people. As a Manga reader I'm pretty satisfied. Great start. Really beautiful art (that backgrounds, WOW), amazing soundtrack.
And voice actor of Azusa. My God, I'm in love. (and yeah, I don't need to mention about Noho's voice actor, right?)
rsc-plJul 3, 2016 2:55 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 3, 2016 2:56 PM

Dec 2010
natsu791 said:
After i finished ReLife, everything else seem inferior =/
ReLife is mediocre af with annoying piano scores
Jul 3, 2016 3:12 PM

Feb 2014
I love the art, beautiful background, the music and the characters. Never read the manga before but I will eventually. All the six characters are very nice and likable, especially Azu. It was a great start! And I am shipping Naho and Kakeru! They make such a cute couple.

5/5.
Cartoons and anime is my reality.
Jul 3, 2016 3:36 PM

Sep 2015
Orange does not take a lot of time to get into the thick of things. The main mystery of the story comes into play within minutes of the opening scene. The letter from the future is pretty interesting, although it's not a completely original idea, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya share the same quality, it does bring a lot of potential drama to the series which is good for an anime labled as such. Being able to affect someone's action without knowing the end result, other than regret, can create some tense and emotional moments later on if done correctly. One thing that I personally hope they'll show is how the letter traveled back in time to the past. The idea of backwards time travel is already unrealistic in itself but as long as we are given a suitable and acceptable explanation the whole mystery behind Orange won't feel cheap.

The first warning was not listened to. While the repercussions don't seem to be bad at first, a few questions came to mind upon watching the scene play out. Present Naho invited Kakeru out to which Future Naho regretted doing. The immediate result was they all became friends but Kakeru skipped school for the next 2 weeks afterwards. There's already a possibility of regret but at this point in time Kakeru's mysterious disappearance could be due to different factors. Also, does Future Naho regret doing each thing specifically or was it the combination of everything she did that lead to Kakeru's death and ultimate regret? Present Naho was smart enough to realize that maybe she should listen to the warnings when confronted with the second warning. It may be weird for now but she can see the potential danger of disregarding the letter. However, her supposed mistake at the start of the show has already imprinted itself in history, can that decision be overturned later somehow? Naho's record right now is 1-1 when it comes to listening to the letter, will the future still have the same result?

How the letter worded the second regret was a bit confusing. How does Future Naho know she'll fall in love with Kakeru that day? In the letter, Naho is told to accept the offer to bat and in another sentence she is told about her love for Kakeru. Present Naho decides to bat and a couple scenes later Kakeru is tending to her foot and that may be when Naho begins to develop feelings for Kakeru. It wasn't obvious but one could say her feelings were hinted during that scene. What if present Naho had declined to bat? We know she regrets it later on in life but will she still fall in love with Kakeru? It seems like falling in love with Kakeru was the result of batting and by choosing not to bat she perhaps didn't fall in love with him? Or maybe she falls in love with him anyways but then why would she regret not choosing to bat? So many questions that I hope will be answered clearly in the future.

The pacing of this first episode started out pretty quickly. We are very briefly introduced to the characters. Personally I would have liked them to slow that part down more, especially for a drama since character interaction and personality are at the forefront of a good drama. At the moment we don't know how many episodes Orange will get but for a cast of six characters, one cour may not be enough to really develop a connection with the show.

In the last scene we see what I believe to be future Naho and her husband Hiroto holding their baby. Hiroto is carrying flowers for the apparent dead Kakeru and the child bears a slight resemblence to Naho and Hiroto so it's safe to assume they're married at this point. Back to the second warning, does that mean Naho falls in love with Hiroto instead or was it just how things played out after Kakeru passed away, Erased's ending came into mind.

The artwork was very basic, nothing really caught my eye. I want to use the term rustic to describe it but it's not completely in the countryside. The scenes had a very homely feel to them. The soundtrack is also nothing special. No pieces grabbed my attention and the opening/ending were mediocre. The opening reminded me a lot of Your Lie in April's opening but was not as catchy.

I've been excited for this this show for quite some time. The premise makes for what could be a very engaging drama. However, this first episode felt rather weak. By the end of the episode I had more concerns about the anime than praise. A weak start is not bad as long as the rest of the anime ups it's execution and storytelling. Compared to Rewrite, a current seasonal that I had absolutely no idea about, this first episode did not keep me engaged as much as Rewrite did. A drama tends to start off a bit slow however, so I will be looking forward to watching the upcoming episodes.

I just hope I don't come to regret it ten years later.
HecticLeoJul 3, 2016 3:40 PM
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Orange Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

204 by miffyverse »»
Apr 1, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2016

177 by miffyverse »»
Mar 27, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Orange Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2016

234 by KayyTH »»
Mar 23, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Orange Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

230 by KayyTH »»
Mar 23, 1:24 AM

Poll: » Orange Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2016

381 by Minonine »»
Dec 23, 2023 1:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.