Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 2, 2016 6:18 PM

Mar 2012
Decent first episode. I do hope they slow down the pacing somewhat later on, it felt pretty rushed.
Jul 2, 2016 6:23 PM

Sep 2009
Did not expect that to be so long. Never played the VN but it was certainly interesting to watch.
Jul 2, 2016 6:35 PM

Oct 2013
Apparently, this looks like it's going to be an original route centering around
since they introduced Gil, Pani, and even Krivoy Rog so early in the common route.

With 13 episodes and 100+ hours of content to cover, it's not likely they'll be able to do even a fraction of it, so this pacing is to be expected. However, I don't understand half the critique about this episode's failure because it's the first episode! First episodes are meant to give exposition and introduce you to the setting, and with this being twice the normal length, it allowed for more characters to be introduced and more world building to take place. With a world as complex as Rewrite's, there's no way to adapt it perfectly to an anime medium, especially since its source medium as a visual novel allowed for much more gradual exposition. What they did this episode is pretty good considering the sheer volume of material they have to work with.

Oh, and for everyone complaining about the rushing making everything confusing, withhold your opinions until the later episodes clear things up for you all. This is why I don't understand people who think they can judge an anime solely based off its first episode; I suspect that half the negativity is a direct result of hyped build up and elitism, just like any other show.

However, there are definitely problems with this kind of adaptation, since the main appeal of Rewrite, at least for me, was the slight hints towards the supernatural aspect in the common route without being overly obvious, making the reveal on that one day, vn readers know what I'm talking about, all the more shocking and believable. Unfortunately, visual novel anime adaptations are rarely good enough to capture this kind of subtlety. Oh well...
suikaMUSICJul 2, 2016 6:44 PM
Jul 2, 2016 6:38 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i thought my boy was finna order some KFC at the end there.... anyway, gettin that ReZero vibe lol

Tenkachi said:
Did not expect that to be so long.

twss
Jul 2, 2016 6:49 PM

Nov 2013
That was a pretty good first episode, I give it a 4/5. I feel like this episode needed more than one hour. It was like watching at x1.5 speed, with bad transitioning. Honestly though, I'm happy with it. There's a lot more you can do better with this episode, but that's probably not the best we'll ever get from the rest of the series.

Hopefully oppai route and yoshino song will get adapted.
Jul 2, 2016 6:58 PM
Oct 2015
TKotarou said:
They cut out a lot of great scenes but overall it catered to us VN fans lol. Sad that they changed up the meetings with Lucia and Chihaya though, those were hilarious scenes. Kagari is so damn cute animated gfoaishjgolkfja.

Looks like the haters who expect that the first episode explain everything in detail are here.

Mod Edit: Telling people to go away because they have a different opinion than you is basically asking for a flame-war to happen.
Don't do it. Part of your post is modified.
I have to agree with the haters expecting everything to be explained. You can tell the anime is foreshadowing many things they have questions to. Reminds me of Macross Delta.
Jul 2, 2016 7:00 PM

May 2016
suikaMUSIC said:
Oh, and for everyone complaining about the rushing making everything confusing, withhold your opinions until the later episodes clear things up for you all. This is why I don't understand people who think they can judge an anime solely based off its first episode; I suspect that half the negativity is a direct result of hyped build up and elitism, just like any other show.

However, there are definitely problems with this kind of adaptation, since the main appeal of Rewrite, at least for me, was the slight hints towards the supernatural aspect in the common route without being overly obvious, making the reveal on that one day, vn readers know what I'm talking about, all the more shocking and believable. Unfortunately, visual novel anime adaptations are rarely good enough to capture this kind of subtlety. Oh well...

The purpose of the first episode is to establish the main characters and the world they live in. The problem I have with this one is that almost all the big and important elements from the VN are introduced all at once and that's something you should [never ever do in a series like this. All the build up and tension(which was brilliantly done in VN) is almost pointless in this series because we either already know what Kotorou is going to go through the next few or will just leave constantly confused. I'm willing to give 8-Bit the benefit of the doubt, but so I'm not impressed by what I've seen.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
Jul 2, 2016 7:08 PM

Feb 2016
Im rather surprised its only 13 episodes Clannad and Kanon were both 20+ Im rather interested in the series although I did enjoy this episode alot it felt like I was reading a VN, the comedy was good and I liked the soundtrack. excited too see where this goes I might even have to play the VN after this is done
jakobpabloJul 2, 2016 7:24 PM
Jul 2, 2016 7:14 PM

Jul 2014
Weird but interesting.
Jul 2, 2016 7:20 PM

Oct 2015
I wonder how many Key tropes will this show get. I'm already hearing the gawaoooo from Air, seeing the red head from Kanon, and there is a ghost who probably has her body some place else like Kanon and CLANNAD.
Jul 2, 2016 7:46 PM

Aug 2014
mybe this anime was awesome, and then character's cute's >.<
lol~
Jul 2, 2016 7:49 PM

Sep 2013
siradix said:
I wonder how many Key tropes will this show get. I'm already hearing the gawaoooo from Air, seeing the red head from Kanon, and there is a ghost who probably has her body some place else like Kanon and CLANNAD.

Dont worry. No ghost.
Jul 2, 2016 7:52 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Kougeru said:
Playcool said:

I just hope they dont bury the series more than they already have done, with going the shorther route, just to promote the VN, instead of doing it justice an adapting every major plotline.

It's literally impossible to adapt every route IMO. They'd need 40+ episodes, since it's length was similar to LBs and Clannad..and those required that many. This Kagari-focused route seems the best option for to test the waters, I guess.

Testing the waters for what? A Kannon 2006?
They just wanted to make some quick cash, promoting the sales of the newer Rewrite version. Sadly there wont be another opportunity for Rewrite other than this.
Jul 2, 2016 7:54 PM

Sep 2014
Wtf did I just watch, didn't understand a single thing that happened.
Jul 2, 2016 7:55 PM

Oct 2010
Playcool said:
Kougeru said:

It's literally impossible to adapt every route IMO. They'd need 40+ episodes, since it's length was similar to LBs and Clannad..and those required that many. This Kagari-focused route seems the best option for to test the waters, I guess.

Testing the waters for what? A Kannon 2006?
They just wanted to make some quick cash, promoting the sales of the newer Rewrite version. Sadly there wont be another opportunity for Rewrite other than this.

To do a proper Rewrite season. Since this is an original route, I always saw it as an advertisement for the new game. But if it sales well, they'd have reason to do a proper adaptation of the rest of the other routes.
Jul 2, 2016 7:59 PM

Jul 2013
Lol at the people who say the characters were introduced too fast. Clannad's was just as fast if not faster; and its first episode was of normal length. Smh.
この世界には。。。秘密がある
Jul 2, 2016 8:00 PM

Jan 2014
The_Deceiver said:
Wtf did I just watch, didn't understand a single thing that happened.

If you didn't play the Visual Novel then yea you must have been, everything was going so fast in this episode.

Anyways

The art is meh, animation is average, glad they kept the original music tracks for each respectable character. Comedy is still good

But the 13 episodes is really pissing me off. I've put about 50 hours in the Visual Novel, and I still have Lucias route to do. And good ol 8bit wants to cram it all in, in 13 episodes

Really wanted Kyoto or JC to do this adaptation :(
Jul 2, 2016 8:01 PM

Dec 2012
sanata50lbsb said:
Lol at the people who say the characters were introduced too fast. Clannad's was just as fast if not faster; and its first episode was of normal length. Smh.
I remember that and yet no one complained xD
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Jul 2, 2016 8:01 PM
May 2013
"and then Aizawa-kun from class E started going out with Tsukimiya-san from class C" is the best thing about this whole episode and i'm still on the 14 minute mark. thank you based Key.

edit: and the redhead is totally Makoto hahaha i'm so happy right now

edit 2: ok what the hell did i just watch? i love it so far, sucks that it'll be only one-cour. or is it being split?
felipecardelJul 2, 2016 8:45 PM
Jul 2, 2016 8:07 PM

Jun 2013
DoctorWasabi said:

Are you serious? J.C trash? nah im rather stick with 8Bit.
Jul 2, 2016 8:13 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
HecticLeo said:

The first piece of music that was played near the beginning when Kotarou was running around outside was very beautiful. Once again it reminded me of Grisaia's OST but with a little hint of Madoka Magica Rebellion. The couple of more happy pieces during the school scene were also soothing. Usually tracks like that are meant to carry you throughout the dialogue but those two pieces really stuck out to me.

With how the story introduced each character it made it feel like this was going to be a harem show where the MC saves all the girls from their personal demons, I have no idea if that's where this show is going but that was the feeling I was getting, much like the Monogatari Series and Grisaia, once again. The ending completely threw that train of thought out the window and now I am really curious how the story will pan out.

The synopsis makes Kotarou out to be a superhuman and I just found it quite ironic that he is hilariously weak; couldn't carry a big box, fainting at the sight of a little girl in his bed, and fainting at the sight of a bite mark on his arm.

Onto a more serious topic, all the girls are so cute that I can't decide which one to pick. The regular lolicon in me wants to pick Kotori, the ultimate lolicon in me wants to pick Shizuru while the creepy lolicon in me wants to pick Kagari. If only I could have them all, life would be bliss.

That piece of music would be Exploration I think, if you are talking about the one when Kotarou was going across the forest.
Most of those during school scenes, were the characters intro music.

Rewrite is everything less harem. They were just hinted for the multiple routes from the visual novel.

Calling Kotarou superhuman wouldnt be wrong and it actually kinda funny you used that term (dunno if they will explain it later here though).
Kotarou is not weak, Chihaya is just the strongest heroine in the plotline, as for physical strenght goes, but saying more would be spoiling.

The regular lolicon you would be pick Kotori?! Calling her a loli?! Poor Kotori!
I will make it easier for you to decide, Lucia is the best girl. Nuff said.

Cratex said:
AlexTheRiot said:
And as far as that goes, he doesn't necessarily considers the person he's looking for to be an actual witch, it's more hopeful ignorance.
One should always be careful of what one wishes for, because the wish might be granted ;)

Oh, she is a witch already! I m already remenbering some of the dialogue of Akane, insulting Kotarou, damm it felt good, she really does have her ways of accomplishing stuff. That vile and... loveable creature.

TKotarou said:
They cut out a lot of great scenes but overall it catered to us VN fans lol. Sad that they changed up the meetings with Lucia and Chihaya though, those were hilarious scenes.

They surely seem to be catering us the most, because with everything, I would be lying if I said I didnt had fun. But from the start they should had chosen a different approuch, not going original.

Ishkoten said:
sanata50lbsb said:
I remember that and yet no one complained xD

Never felt much for Clannad S1, it was average at some parts and only really good at the middle.

Oh my dear friend, now it just seems like you are trying to tease me or something... I couldnt be more happy if it were true, but we have to look at it with a tone of realism...

Murasa22 said:
DoctorWasabi said:

Kyoto maybe, dont feel much about J.C.
What I really wanted was White Fox doing it.
They got my trust with this:

(obvious spoilers for those that didnt played it, nostalgia for the rest, when I first saw Rewrite animated... damm)
PlaycoolJul 2, 2016 8:16 PM
Jul 2, 2016 8:15 PM

Nov 2012
DirectorK said:

The purpose of the first episode is to establish the main characters and the world they live in. The problem I have with this one is that almost all the big and important elements from the VN are introduced all at once and that's something you should [never ever do in a series like this. All the build up and tension(which was brilliantly done in VN) is almost pointless in this series because we either already know what Kotorou is going to go through the next few or will just leave constantly confused. I'm willing to give 8-Bit the benefit of the doubt, but so I'm not impressed by what I've seen.

This.. Rewrite had a very well-done common route, it had the perfect mix of SoL comedy scenes, suspenseful supernatural scenes, and introduced characters at a good pace. The anime ruined all that. I didn't really expect it to go any differently though, the anime medium as a whole is probably not suited as well to this kind of pacing.
Jul 2, 2016 8:17 PM

Aug 2012
Quite a good episode, really liked that bit of Moon route at the beginning
I've been missing this ost
Hope Kotarou chose The World

But I guess they are going for an new route centered around Kagari with only 13 episodes
Jul 2, 2016 8:17 PM

Jan 2014
Murasa22 said:
DoctorWasabi said:

But JC made Little Busters, and Little Busters Refrain. Absolutely loved it
Jul 2, 2016 8:18 PM

Oct 2010
DoctorWasabi said:

But the 13 episodes is really pissing me off. I've put about 50 hours in the Visual Novel, and I still have Lucias route to do. And good ol 8bit wants to cram it all in, in 13 episodes

I just wanted to mention to you this is an entirely new route for "That Girl". It won't adapt all the routes. Not even close. It's gonna be part of Rewrite+ so I see this as an advertisement.
Jul 2, 2016 8:19 PM

Jan 2014
Kougeru said:
DoctorWasabi said:

I just wanted to mention to you this is an entirely new route for "That Girl". It won't adapt all the routes. Not even close

Jul 2, 2016 8:23 PM

Oct 2010
I also consider JC to be multitudes better than 8-Bit. 8-Bit has made nothing but garbage, except for Tokyo Ravens. JC has a lot of trash but they have a better overall track record. LB wasn't great but I loved Refrain. 8-Bit already sloppy for animation and character design in episode 1. This was even a special episode,which generally gets better budget, so I kinda expect the animation to just get worse from here.
Jul 2, 2016 8:27 PM
Jul 2016
40 min for episode 1 WTF...!! But well i looking forward for next episode...
Jul 2, 2016 8:43 PM
Jul 2018
visual disaster on the level of 失われた未来を求めて
Jul 2, 2016 8:45 PM

Sep 2013
Pretty awful CG and wacky pacing. I have to wonder how anime only people view this.. Oh well, Yoshino's here!
Jul 2, 2016 8:58 PM

Jul 2012
Had fun watching it but then it hit me that they pretty much are showing at the very beginning that all the routes have occurred up to the point where the anime starts.

This infuriates me. I love EVERY character but Kagari, and now this is what we get? Totally upset about this.
Jul 2, 2016 9:00 PM

Apr 2009
only 13 episodes????
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2016 9:02 PM

May 2014
Love the introductions of characters! Took me a while to find out that Saito Chiwa is voicing Kotori by listening.
interesting main character and his "accel"?

lol to that delinquent + chuunibyou guy haha

A bit lost on what's happening, but I hope it will be explained well.

Hoping for a good adaptation like Clannad or Little Busters even though it's only 13 episodes, but I have doubts because this is 8bit (Grisaia no Kajitsu) (but not Rakuen, Rakuen is good)
Jul 2, 2016 9:05 PM
Oct 2013
Why isn't this anime labeled with the horror genre tag?
The first episode alone is already more scary than the entire season of Mayoiga.
- MC gets killed by a moe looking girl in his dream (or not dream?)
- The moe girl appeared as a spirit to haunt him in real life and tries to eat him
- MC gets dragged into a spiritual realm and got attacked by blood thirsty spirit and giant tentacle monster, and of course the moe girl spirit again.
Jul 2, 2016 9:13 PM

Apr 2011
That's probably the most over the top female school uniform I have seen to date
Jul 2, 2016 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
Keredna said:
Why isn't this anime labeled with the horror genre tag?
The first episode alone is already more scary than the entire season of Mayoiga.
- MC gets killed by a moe looking girl in his dream (or not dream?)
- The moe girl appeared as a spirit to haunt him in real life and tries to eat him
- MC gets dragged into a spiritual realm and got attacked by blood thirsty spirit and giant tentacle monster, and of course the moe girl spirit again.

Because its not on the level of Mayoiga tbh. :x
Jul 2, 2016 9:21 PM
Nov 2015
Lol wut, I didn't understand what was happening 99% of the time
Jul 2, 2016 9:27 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I've seen pictures of the show which imo looked very amazing. The OST for Rewrite is one of the best personally.

I didn't even notice 48 mins passed, cool to see the show being this long. It's petty much 2 episodes in 1 episode.

For now I'm loving Kotori and Shizuru. The smug faces Kotori made especially to Yoshino was very amusing. Then the scene where she leaves after she finishes talking to Ohtori and Tennouji, she makes some funny sound.

Shizuru also had her cute moment. I liked how she gave Tennouji a warning and they did a pinky promise afterward. So adorable.

I thought Kotori was pranking Tennouji in the scene where she tries to turn on the lights but instead a scream is heard. Scared me for a sec.

Ribbon girl sure was creepy at first but I found her quite cute. The moment where the coffee drink falls down and she looks at it, You'll be missed Coffee-kun.

Jul 2, 2016 9:28 PM

Mar 2013
Is this worth watching if I haven't played the vn and probably don't plan to?
Jul 2, 2016 9:33 PM

Jun 2013
AshaGreyjoy said:
Is this worth watching if I haven't played the vn and probably don't plan to?

Yes.

Thats all i can say without spoiling you.
Jul 2, 2016 9:37 PM

Jan 2011
lezerman said:
Do you guys think they will rush everything to finish with 13 episodes or we will get a split cour later?

This question is irrelevant since its an anime original route in the end as has been said dozens of times. So the incessant rushed comments are beyond annoying.

People need to get this through their heads that this is NOT going to be a faithful adaptation of their favorite VN since they dropped the bomb months ago that "hey we aren't adapting any route from the game but rather a new 6th route. Oh and surprise we went with 8bit!". So how they play with the common route is ???

And to Key newcomers...there is something dubbed "Key magic" in these novels. It's in every one of their worlds. It explains a lot of the unexplainable.
IZEROIIJul 2, 2016 10:13 PM
Jul 2, 2016 9:39 PM

Dec 2009
Not even 1 minute in: Wtf is this, The Land Before Time?

ROFLMAO OH MY GOD THAT LIGHT SWITCH

As i have not read the VN i have no clue what to expect, but it was interesting to say the least.
It's a shame it's animation seems pretty cheap... But i guess we won't get another Key adaption handled as beautifully as Clannad.
GenesisAriaJul 2, 2016 9:44 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jul 2, 2016 9:39 PM
May 2016
The animation is good and relaxing to watch. As well as the bgm is good. I like the OP at the end, "Philosophyz", I enjoyed the comedy and SoL feeling here. The characters are well introduced. The intense feeling when Kotorou remember his self being attack by that Loli in his consciousness, don't know the name, that was good, it reminds me of Re:Zero's Subaru, when he is feeling confused and fear. This was a good episode, but got a problem what's the real deal happening, got a bit confused.
Jul 2, 2016 10:08 PM

May 2014
Pretty decent for the first episode

They introduce now all of the heroines

i have a high hope for the next episode

the animation was pretty good as well
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 2, 2016 10:11 PM

Jun 2013
Oh man, just hearing the soundtrack makes me so giddy. First visual novel I ever played and finished 100%, I don't know what to expect since it's only 13 episodes, but I hope they at least do Lucia's route.

Heh, I wonder what option he chose on that survey ;).
Jul 2, 2016 10:13 PM
Oct 2015
Hamelin said:
Oh man, just hearing the soundtrack makes me so giddy. First visual novel I ever played and finished 100%, I don't know what to expect since it's only 13 episodes, but I hope they at least do Lucia's route.

Heh, I wonder what option he chose on that survey ;).
hopefully the oppai route lol
Jul 2, 2016 11:08 PM
Oct 2015
wow that 1st episode
i cant call it mess but if they try to fit all route in one cour that would be tough
if i recall there is 7 route in total
more than 50 hours play game
so let's hope there is something they want to achieve from this

i dont quite like the fight because it's not in the VN and ruin the story
outside from that
the animation, ost, and "duration" i like it
rare thing i found is they use 3d CG for background character
it's not something you will casually find in another anime
and i like it
hopefully other episode will be better
Jul 2, 2016 11:10 PM

Dec 2013
The premises seems interesting, though I have to ask. Is every episode going to be 48 mins long?
I heard VN readers complaining that 13 episodes was too short for this, but would 13 48 min episodes make a difference to their opinions?
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 2, 2016 11:15 PM
Jul 2018
L-Ryoshi said:
The premises seems interesting, though I have to ask. Is every episode going to be 48 mins long?
I heard VN readers complaining that 13 episodes was too short for this, but would 13 48 min episodes make a difference to their opinions?

No, only the first episode was 48 minutes long. 2nd episode and onward will be just the usual normal length.
Jul 2, 2016 11:16 PM

Jan 2011
"what the hell am i watching" is right! can't make sense of any of it but i like the characters and it seems interesting.

Not sure since i haven't read the VN did they do a good job? don't have it in me to do a read along like i did with little busters right now so i hope this turns out decent.

animation is nice art on the other hand is kinda lacking and the CGI... is well yeah..
Pages (10) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

293 by nhkam »»
Apr 6, 10:39 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2016

177 by Miki42 »»
Jan 10, 9:41 AM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2016

112 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2016

126 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:43 PM

Poll: » Rewrite Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 30, 2016

242 by White_Alice »»
Dec 15, 2023 11:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.