Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 28, 2016 12:41 PM

Jul 2013
I'm seeing a lot of mixed reactions, but I personally loved the episode. Comedy is one of my favorite genres, so I love seeing some genuinely funny comedy in an action anime. That's pretty rare to come by these days.

It does feel like a bit of a cheat that the bad guys got defeated so quickly, but this anime is being told from Atsushi's point of view. He genuinely thought the Agency would get slaughtered, so naturally the episode's narration followed that same thought process. Plus this episode did show Atsushi that he's found a place he truly belongs, and I think that's an important takeaway! Considering this anime will have two seasons, it's okay for the pace to be a little slower than a typical 1-cour show.
Apr 28, 2016 12:55 PM
Apr 2016
Meh. 3/5 for this episode. We'll see where it goes from here.
Apr 28, 2016 1:12 PM

Mar 2009
Fai said:
Mormegil said:

I was going to ask about the weird doctor in this episode and her odd behavior, but it was already answered in this thread. Still, what is up with all the girls being into that guy? He's a weird and timid dude, and yet all the girls want him. Including his sister! lol

Tanizaki's real life fiction writings involved a lot of S&M elements and overall eroticism. It seems the character that is based on him is doomed to be badly treated and sexually abused by females just like Tanizaki's protagonist in "Naomi" ended up in the end. So far all of his encoutners in show ended up turning into weird S&M fantasies, fittingly to that.

And character wise so far, with his sister Naomi it makes sense because, well, Its Naomi, the titular character from "Naomi" who ends up overtaking the protagonist's life and pretty much turns the protagonist into "trophy husband", while with Akiko Yosano, its because she was yet another author focusing a lot on female sexuality and, specifically breaking the japanese stereotype of "modest shy wife" with her characters, in a sense being the opposite of Tanizaki's writingwhich shamed "western female" traits.

That pretty much explains it then. Thanks.
Apr 28, 2016 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
I'm not really sure what to say about this. 1st and 2nd episodes were kind of pure comedy. The 3rd one, changed it to be something more serious (espeically in the end). In the 4th one they did exectly the opposite: Started serious and ended up as comedy. It's pretty confusing. I mean, I understand they try to combine both but... should it really be the way?

Anyway... The most interesting part was with that Oh so scary power when he was in front of a cell. It seemed there was a girl inside, but it was Daizei (I think). So... I guess it was a flash back? Or wasn't it? By the way, in the scene in the agency, I think it was Daizei but there was a character who didn't say a signle word. Just sat there doing nothing. It almost looked as he wasn't there as no one talked to him as well.

Wasn't the best but... it give hints to better things so... I'll try to watch more of it, I guess.

Apr 28, 2016 1:19 PM

Feb 2015
Wasn't expecting the Port Mafia to be defeated that easily, the detective agency is just too good. It's still going at a good pace I think, not too fast that it feels rushed but not too slow that you get bored waiting for stuff to happen. Can't wait for more!
Apr 28, 2016 1:24 PM

Aug 2015
I never saw the outcome of that fight ending like that. Freaking hilarious, I'm not even mad.
Apr 28, 2016 1:29 PM

Apr 2015
I seriously thought they were going to die during the raid but NOPE.
Apr 28, 2016 2:07 PM

Mar 2014
Wait, so Boobies McIncestbait/Tanizaki's little sister survived the attack?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 28, 2016 4:09 PM

Apr 2012
decent episode.. still enjoyable. only hated that they removed the eyes from the ppl in some scenes.. pretty weird.
Apr 28, 2016 4:42 PM

Apr 2014
They come after the headquarter and got their ass beat lol.
Apr 28, 2016 6:34 PM

Jan 2013
Well...that ending was unexpectedly funny xD
You don't simply mess with them and walk away clean xD It seems that they have their own secrets, and they are all so badass.
That moment when Atsushi came to the agency and saw Port Mafia getting beaten by them xD
That ending was perfect!
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Apr 28, 2016 7:07 PM

Apr 2013
How many more damn times are they going to show the same flashback? Ok we get it his life sucked but no need to repeat the same scene so many times within a short span of time. This whole comedy thing being overdone now, I hope they start to cut down on it and hopefully the MC will show some usefulness by being able to control his tiger form.
Apr 28, 2016 7:10 PM
Apr 2016
PolisChan said:
Wasn't a fan of the rape scene. Just because its a male victim doesn't make it ok.

For real though, everyone is complaining about the villains being used for a gag (even though it was thematically perfect and hilarious) but I'm kinda grossed out by how many people are saying they want the same "treatment" : /////

Though the weirdly sexual themes surrounding his character do make sense, considering he's Junichirou Tanizaki. I just wish fans wouldn't nit pick perfectly reasonable story choices and ignore the more shitty stuff.
Apr 28, 2016 8:18 PM

Mar 2016
The thing that really bugs me on this series is that if the port mafia/black lizards keeps on raiding the office then why don't they arrest them (or best case scenario 'kill them')? Cause you could clearly see that they already killed tons of people.

Am I the only one on this?
Apr 28, 2016 9:14 PM

Jul 2011
This is the biggest bullshit I've seen on this Spring Season so far damnnnn!!!

1) How the hell those two siblings are still alive after that confrontation last episode. I mean the girl got gunned down by machine guns and the boy got stabbed by that huge black thing,

2) The Port Mafia was all hype and nothing. That old man had a really cool Gift, also, those two commanders were hyped up as well but we didnt even see the freaking fight.

3) The Tiger kid arrives at the agency and all of the mafia members are taken down by 4 people. But where was the fight? How did he defeat that old man with such a cool Gift while taking fire by the fodder glasses men PLUS the two commanders?

If you enjoyed this episode then you're a dumb mothafucka who needs to check your eyes because this shit was beyond bullshit.
Apr 28, 2016 11:50 PM

Jun 2015
Another boring episode for a boring show.
Worst show this season for me, so far.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Apr 29, 2016 1:38 AM

Jul 2014
AluSsak said:
At that moment when black lizards went into the agency i thought they are fucked up... xD

who is they referring to? In one case you'd be absolutely right XD

Yato-Yaboku said:
The thing that really bugs me on this series is that if the port mafia/black lizards keeps on raiding the office then why don't they arrest them (or best case scenario 'kill them')? Cause you could clearly see that they already killed tons of people.

Am I the only one on this?

I was also bothered by this. Though the gag was hilarious, the black lizards were really dangerous and ruthless criminals. And the agency knew about this. I don't know why they let them go. And that seems the general course of action they take. Even last episode, Akutgawa could have been killed after Dazai interfered, and I expected him to be mad about injuring two of the agency members, but he just let Akutagawa go.
Apr 29, 2016 1:53 AM

Jan 2015
Can a manga reader tell me how the siblings were able to make it back alive? Because at the very least the sister should have bled out.

Other than that an average episode, however the comedy really didn't mix this week.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 29, 2016 3:22 AM

Mar 2014
First the hideous incest sister, now a rapey nurse. Still AOTS but if they don't improve the female characters, this is most likely going to get dropped.
Apr 29, 2016 4:10 AM

Dec 2012
The agency is overpowered >.< They totally destroyed the mafia and they have thrown them out by the window xD
Great episode, I love all the characters.
Apr 29, 2016 4:22 AM
Mar 2015
Hahahah that was great. Talk about expectations denied.
Apr 29, 2016 4:33 AM

Jan 2016
ptsdgregor said:
everyone is complaining about the villains being used for a gag (even though it was thematically perfect and hilarious) but I'm kinda grossed out by how many people are saying they want the same "treatment" : /////

Yes. Totally agree with this. It's an action comedy, anyone surprised that there's jokes in it is pretty stupid for watching a comedy series. If they want a boring serious show, they should go watch a boring serious show.

And yeah, anyone wanting the same treatment is pretty stupid too. He very clearly almost died in the previous episode, meaning he's probably in a pretty bad state in this one. Imagine trying to pop one up (which requires good blood circulation) whilst in that state. Would not be fun. Also the main point that rape is disgusting and anyone fantasising about it is fucked up in the head.
Apr 29, 2016 5:05 AM
Mar 2012
The few jokes with Kunikida & Dazai were great, felt genuine instead of before that forced too much in a short time.
Pacing slowed down just like Onmyouji ep4, but here pacing felt weird, like long sceneries where they weren't sure what they're doing.
Old man: short range space warping/telekinesis ability?
Falling camellia: camellia can mean waiting for something. Lol no wonder 2 minutes late is a big deal.
Osts are pretty cool. Kunikida + Atsushi almost sounded like the one for Tsubasa i think. That slow oboe, baritone sax, drums pretty chill.
Apr 29, 2016 5:43 AM

Jun 2013
That warehouse slaughter scene was pretty cold, not the worst I've seen and not even close to the worst murder scene I've seen in an Anime, movie, etc. but it was a little shocking. Seeing that guy's body get twisted, fall to the ground and start bleeding while that old man's henchmen pumped lead into their bodies afterwards, it was just cold. Damn.

I'm surprised that the siblings survived that attack but I already knew that they weren't going to die. Other than side characters and extras that no one will ever miss, I doubt they're going to kill off anyone major.

In the end, it was an okay episode. The agency is OP and they kicked their asses so quickly and just threw them out the window like it was nothing.
臭い-
Apr 29, 2016 6:14 AM
Jul 2018
ttcchen said:
themegamancave said:
This show is not very good. Easily the weakest I'm watching this season. The humor isn't funny, Daichi is the only likable character so far, and the villains are lame at best. I'm confused by all of the praise it's getting here, like I'm missing something glaringly obvious. Help!

i think it's hyped cuz the characters are all based on real world authors

Based? The anime gives me the feel that the characters are just ordinary people happen to have the same names with those authors. They could've been named otherwise n it still wouldn't make any difference.
Apr 29, 2016 6:41 AM

Mar 2016
Extreme3708 said:

1) How the hell those two siblings are still alive after that confrontation last episode. I mean the girl got gunned down by machine guns and the boy got stabbed by that huge black thing,

2) The Port Mafia was all hype and nothing. That old man had a really cool Gift, also, those two commanders were hyped up as well but we didnt even see the freaking fight.

3) The Tiger kid arrives at the agency and all of the mafia members are taken down by 4 people. But where was the fight? How did he defeat that old man with such a cool Gift while taking fire by the fodder glasses men PLUS the two commanders?

If you enjoyed this episode then you're a dumb mothafucka who needs to check your eyes because this shit was beyond bullshit.
You are obviously a super ignorant person and don't know that other people have different opinions. It's okay that you don't like this show, drop it then. Who tells you to watch it if you so don't like it? Are you 12 or something? Learn to respect other people and their opinions first and then go comment on discussions, alright?
Apr 29, 2016 6:45 AM

Mar 2016
bobzanny said:
Can a manga reader tell me how the siblings were able to make it back alive? Because at the very least the sister should have bled out.

Other than that an average episode, however the comedy really didn't mix this week.
As i recall, both of the siblings were on the verge of dying, but since there is a doctor Akiko (she has an ability to heal people who are fatally injured) she healed them in time.
Apr 29, 2016 6:47 AM

Mar 2016
EfiChan said:
I'm not really sure what to say about this. 1st and 2nd episodes were kind of pure comedy. The 3rd one, changed it to be something more serious (espeically in the end). In the 4th one they did exectly the opposite: Started serious and ended up as comedy. It's pretty confusing. I mean, I understand they try to combine both but... should it really be the way?

Anyway... The most interesting part was with that Oh so scary power when he was in front of a cell. It seemed there was a girl inside, but it was Daizei (I think). So... I guess it was a flash back? Or wasn't it? By the way, in the scene in the agency, I think it was Daizei but there was a character who didn't say a signle word. Just sat there doing nothing. It almost looked as he wasn't there as no one talked to him as well.

Wasn't the best but... it give hints to better things so... I'll try to watch more of it, I guess.
Who even is Daizei? The girl in the cell is a new character and her name is Kyouka.
Apr 29, 2016 6:52 AM

Dec 2013
Why do I feel like I've just watched an episode of One Punch Man where they spend the entire episode hyping up the villain, only for the heroes to sort them out in less than a second? XD

Essentially that's what happened this episode, eh?

Next week we actually get to see them doing some actual detective work instead. I'm so down for it.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 29, 2016 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that is saved in extremis thanks to some interesting points during the narration. Having lost some time on the protagonist, for me, I consider it a waste of time in light of what we have seen today, who knows if in the future I will have rimagiarmi these words, but I do not think. Interesting characters, they seem all but moaning and whining, I hope that the protagonist will grow soon. Drawings and animations good, pretty good scenes like quality. I hope that in the future they can develop the characters of the cast and do not forget the star. ^^"
Apr 29, 2016 8:12 AM

Feb 2016
-Let's shift the tone!

-Where?

-EVERYWHERE!!!
All people have their own sh*t tastes, therefore, there are no sh*t tastes, since everything is equally sh*t.

A VERY LOGICAL
PHILOSOPHY
Apr 29, 2016 9:20 AM

Nov 2014
yuliyana29 said:
ttcchen said:

i think it's hyped cuz the characters are all based on real world authors

Based? The anime gives me the feel that the characters are just ordinary people happen to have the same names with those authors. They could've been named otherwise n it still wouldn't make any difference.
its based by taking specifIc characteristics of the authors. And changed the others like age or appearance and personality for the manga's sake. Take Dazai for example, he has written a famous book called No Longer Human. He had committed suicide many times but failed most of the times (except the last). He's always acting, wearing a mask, putting up a fake appearance because he's afraid of society (much like the mc of no longer human). As for atsushi, he has written a book about a man who transforms into a tiger. I didn't research much about him, but Im sure you got the idea. The author of this manga just took specific parts of the authors and filled in the rest.
Apr 29, 2016 9:53 AM
Jul 2018
Needs more Dazai dark comedy. Dude is definitely heading the candidacy for Best Boy this season.
Poor Black Lizard. Seemingly so badass but a complete failure in attempt to confront the detective agency. Would've prefer they depicted more of that fight than just the aftermath.

Oh, so next episodes going to focus on deductive kid... oh jeez, please don't be like Izaya literally the most overrated character both looks and personality wise in animated history, son. He's already better looking than that cur, but if he ends up being as abhorrent a personality, and not comically, part of me will die.
Apr 29, 2016 12:11 PM

Apr 2010
cabbagels said:
EfiChan said:

Who even is Daizei? The girl in the cell is a new character and her name is Kyouka.

Oops... Dazai. My bad.

Apr 29, 2016 12:46 PM

Apr 2016
The twist at the end made it my favourite episode of the season so far.
Apr 29, 2016 1:18 PM

Mar 2011
menthalpy said:
PolisChan said:
Wasn't a fan of the rape scene. Just because its a male victim doesn't make it ok.

Actually it has nothing to do with rape, but the staff probably thought they were being funny. Yosano was taking off her white shirt

I found the pacing to be a bit weird this episode, but hey there's a lot of Kunikida so I won't complain too much.
We'll be seeing more of Ranpo next episode because he's the only one sitting on his arse while the others are fighting.
[Someone please stop Dazai.]

For everyone talking about this, look at this scene again and listen the sfx. Listen to them very well. They're not random

Can someone explain why the villians are so weak, I thought they would be dangerous but this is getting annoying. And it need to get more serious, too much comedy.

Because you are assuming somethingtht may very well not be true. I'll not tell anything more, it's a spoiler, but... Your question has a very easy answer. As a hint, at how many % of the anime do you think we are?

Hmm, still don't know. Is this a dark themed anime or not? I thought we will see some action with the mafia at the ending but nope. Comedy instead..

Since when are the two of them impossible to have together? Life itself is sometimes dark and sometimes more lighthearted, while you may or may not like the comedy in it, something can be dark themed without being dark about everything the the point of a parody. The two of them can perfectly be used together (plus, dark comedy such as Dazai's is still comedy)

It does feel like a bit of a cheat that the bad guys got defeated so quickly, but this anime is being told from Atsushi's point of view. He genuinely thought the Agency would get slaughtered, so naturally the episode's narration followed that same thought process.

Exactly. The same episode from Kuni's PoV would not be dark AT ALL since he was just worried about having to clean things up and knew how it would end. the only reason it looks "dark" in this ep is because of Atsushi THINKING it'll go dark. Otherwise, well, Port Mafia are assholes who kill workers, and normals are scared of them, but that's about it. It's a funny use of the MC's PoV.

Most, if not all abilities, are related to the author, and their life is quite often related too. If you don't get it you need t read more. Atsushi's ability is a textbook example; it comes directly and explicitly from one of his books.

Now that was the dumbest post in this thread, especially because some of the things are hinted in this episodes, others have been explained already, and since when is having action offscreen a bad thing in itself?
We get it, the character you liked because he looked dark got his asskicked and that's it, and? It just shows that the "detectives" are quite broken on their own and shows that Atsushi's panic was stupid, but that's it.
If people are dumb for liking it, I guess it also applies to you.
willardhwrightApr 29, 2016 2:06 PM
Apr 29, 2016 1:55 PM

Apr 2012
I love this anime so much. :D The comedy parts are hilarious, the serious parts are exciting.
Apr 29, 2016 2:37 PM

Jul 2011
cabbagels said:
Extreme3708 said:

You are obviously a super ignorant person and don't know that other people have different opinions. It's okay that you don't like this show, drop it then. Who tells you to watch it if you so don't like it? Are you 12 or something? Learn to respect other people and their opinions first and then go comment on discussions, alright?

Well... Eat a dick then. It is not my opinion it is a fact. This anime has been shit so far, shifting from seriousness to comedy all of a sudden. You can enjoy anime and still critique them for what they deliver. And I am not 12, I'm obviously older than you.
Apr 29, 2016 3:17 PM

Mar 2016
Extreme3708 said:
cabbagels said:

Well... Eat a dick then. It is not my opinion it is a fact. This anime has been shit so far, shifting from seriousness to comedy all of a sudden. You can enjoy anime and still critique them for what they deliver. And I am not 12, I'm obviously older than you.
You might be older, whatever i don't really care, but you are much more stupid ;). There are facts and opinions. Here, read the definitions:

opinion - the attitude that you have towards something, especially your thoughts about how good it is

fact - things that are true or that really happened, rather than things that are imaginary or not true

You cannot say that 'it's a fact that this anime is shit' because actually a lot of people enjoy it, so that statement is not valid anymore. It is not valid with any anime, no matter how good or bad it is, because there will always be people who like it or hate it. So it is just your opinion, you ignorant brat.
Apr 29, 2016 9:33 PM

Sep 2012
I'll be honest. My rating of this show is going up after next episode. I love Kamiya's voice acting so much, and in this he sounds so much like Izaya. I can't. I legit squeal when he speaks. That preview made my night. My Izaya obsession can't be healthy... But ugh. He's my favorite asshole. I'm so looking forward to a Kamiya centric episode. Or at least that's what it looks like.

I need help. I've watched the preview three times already, and I can't stop smiling at how much his inflection sounds exactly like Izaya (much more so than Yato ever did).

Well, Izaya's my favorite role of his, but of course his Yato is precious and can't forget Levi and Akashi. And Miyano Mamoru is also fantastic. He's so different from Kida in this (except the inflections when he's talking about the double suicide stuff, but that mostly sounds like Tsukiyama). I feel like I should recognize his deeper voice that he uses when he's being serious as Dazai from somewhere (like Light), but I'm getting nothing. Ugh, there's definitely some quality voice acting (or voice actors or both).

Wait, Kamiya's character is Ranpo Edogawa? How did I forget this? He's the only one I recognize as an author from show.

Why do I find his terrible English to be cute? Jesus, I'm weird.

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
Apr 29, 2016 10:08 PM

Mar 2016
Dazai and Kunikida look like older versions of Tanaka and Oota/Ohta from "Tanaka-Kun Is Always Listless". Also Tanaka/Ohta have the same VA.

Typo edit: The last sentence is supposed to be:

Also Kunikida/Ohta have the same VA.
DarionLunisApr 30, 2016 5:56 AM
Apr 29, 2016 10:09 PM

May 2015
such a surprise, i just hope for more action but....
Apr 29, 2016 11:11 PM

Dec 2012
Felt a bit filler-ish to me but nonetheless I enjoyed this episode. The Agency is badass and oh Dazai was in the cafe throughout the whole thing lol.
I don't feel like I can properly analyze or "judge" the anime without reading the manga first.
allo
Apr 30, 2016 5:08 AM

Mar 2016
DarionLunis said:
Dazai and Kunikida look like older versions of Tanaka and Oota/Ohta from "Tanaka-Kun Is Always Listless". Also Tanaka/Ohta have the same VA.
Tanaka's va is the same as Akutagawa's, not Dazai's.
Apr 30, 2016 5:54 AM

Mar 2016
cabbagels said:
DarionLunis said:
Tanaka's va is the same as Akutagawa's, not Dazai's.

While I did make a mistake in my wording. My mistake was the Tanaka/Ohta pairing for the same VA. It was meant to be Kunikida/Ohta.... for their VA: Hosoya, Yoshimasa.

But the point is how similar the pars of characters' appearance/type seem to be.
Apr 30, 2016 5:55 AM

Mar 2012
it's rather unfortunate that i'm only familiar with Tanizaki's and Dazai's work
so a lot of information thrown in this series just goes over my head.
oh well ŏ_ŏ

Apr 30, 2016 6:14 AM

Mar 2016
_sakuJo_ said:
it's rather unfortunate that i'm only familiar with Tanizaki's and Dazai's work
so a lot of information thrown in this series just goes over my head.
oh well ŏ_ŏ

I'm mostly an anime watcher; so you have more info on the series than some of us.

I'm kinda lost other than... they found the Were-tiger, initiated him into the group, and now Port Mafia thinks it can get its hand on him.... as far as story line goes.

Good thing this is scheduled for split season. 24 episodes back to back. 12 this season and 12 more in the fall. And OVAs!
Apr 30, 2016 8:54 AM

Jan 2015
I love the treatments. The Port Mafia got defeated by A Straw Hat Boy :D
Apr 30, 2016 10:48 AM
Mar 2016
looks like the agency were a bigger bag ass than them Black Lizard guys.
Apr 30, 2016 10:49 AM

Sep 2015
Blondie boy is now officially Finnian from Kuroshitsuji. I'm gonna call him Finny for the rest of this series... All these characters bear a strong resemblance to other characters from other shows and it's bugging me.

Well, ok episode. I like the build up for the mafia trrouble revolving around Atsushi. Now if we can just drop this comedy and focus on the action, that'd be great.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Writing is more miss than hit; will it get better?

BiobulletM - May 3

27 by sagedevault »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by Majutsuishi »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2016

153 by Majutsuishi »»
Mar 30, 1:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.