Forum Settings
Forums

AMVs are not all that great to begin with...

New
Jun 17, 2009 8:15 PM

Jun 2007
It's extremely hard to find a well made one, but god damnit I get so pissed off when someone links me to one they say is "awesome" and it's full of annoying blocky yellow subtitles. Jesus christ it is not that hard to get raws people. :|

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 17, 2009 8:19 PM
Jun 2008
Yeah, I hate when they leave the text in. Extra effort pays off in the end. Worse is when their idea of "editing" is just letting one scene play on for ten seconds, then switching to another scene and letting that run on for fifteen seconds, and then... you get the idea.

If I wanted to watch an entire scene play out, I'd load up an episode and then play music in the background and watch it. That's what most AMV experiences are like. Just watching scenes strung together not matching the music at all...

I saw a few awesome ones. AMV Hell is the only thing really worth watching anyway.
Jun 17, 2009 8:27 PM

Jul 2008
And Skittles.

I really hate the Linkin Park, emu, and rap AMVs which is almost all.

The funniest AMV ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmmu9O-lPrc
Jun 17, 2009 8:42 PM

Feb 2009
Needs moar linkin park in this AMV.
My pokemon bring all the boys to the yard...
Jun 17, 2009 8:49 PM

Apr 2009
iDon't really watch amv but this one is an exception, its awesome! (Master_M2K)

xXDaijinkazeXxJun 17, 2009 11:42 PM
Jun 17, 2009 8:51 PM

Jun 2009
Well its up to amv can be good even if it have sub titles in it.
Also the popilation of good AMV makers its droped so what you expect to see
well my answer=Shity AMVS what show same scen 1 min or got subs on it...
__|____|____|____|____
____|____|____|____|__
__|____Hit your___|____|
____| Head To |____|_
__|____This Spot_|____|
____|____|____|____|_
Jun 17, 2009 9:03 PM

Jul 2007
KanjiiZ said:
And Skittles.

and Hold Me Now.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jun 17, 2009 9:07 PM

Jun 2007
tehnominator said:
Yeah, I hate when they leave the text in. Extra effort pays off in the end. Worse is when their idea of "editing" is just letting one scene play on for ten seconds, then switching to another scene and letting that run on for fifteen seconds, and then... you get the idea.

If I wanted to watch an entire scene play out, I'd load up an episode and then play music in the background and watch it. That's what most AMV experiences are like. Just watching scenes strung together not matching the music at all...

I saw a few awesome ones. AMV Hell is the only thing really worth watching anyway.
Yeah, that too. There's only been 2 or 3 I actually can say I saw that were well done, and the only one I can remember by name is Jihaku.

"if the show is good i couldn't care less if hitler directed it and the production values was a banana." - Salsk
Jun 17, 2009 9:10 PM

Jun 2007
KanjiiZ said:
And Skittles.

The funniest AMV ever:
Yeah, I do too. Someone I know makes nothing but relentless Fullmetal Alchemist and evanescence AMVs, and they all suck terribly.

Jun 17, 2009 9:28 PM

Mar 2008
MAD was here, AMV is a loser.

Jun 17, 2009 9:30 PM

Jun 2009
Fui said:
MAD was here, AMV is a loser.

Oh lol Good one :D
__|____|____|____|____
____|____|____|____|__
__|____Hit your___|____|
____| Head To |____|_
__|____This Spot_|____|
____|____|____|____|_
Jun 17, 2009 10:31 PM

Aug 2008
K_N said:
It's extremely hard to find a well made one, but god damnit I get so pissed off when someone links me to one they say is "awesome" and it's full of annoying blocky yellow subtitles. Jesus christ it is not that hard to get raws people. :|

In fact -- 95% of them suck. And I'm being generous.

If they're simple anime clips glued together with music slapped on top of them -- forget it. It's crap.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jun 17, 2009 10:40 PM

May 2008
AMVs were once filled with good and little chaff. MADs are still filled with good and little chaff. Though, it's essentially the same thing with a different meaning. MADs are what we call AMVs from Japan.
AMVs started becoming overwhelmed and overloaded with chaff when every badly typing, ignorant, annoying fool who doesn't know anything outside of nu-metal and poprock and typing like omg u think? ^^;;;;;xDDDDDD wats that kinda cute.^^ decided they HAD to bring their little creations into the world for us all to see. Being flooded by the bane of the anime community, essentially.

And by chaff, I mean Youtube poof is exquisite in comparison.
And as a result, many people are becoming more and more scared and alienated by AMVs. But there is still a lot of good, if you know where and how to look. The chaff has it's own culture fairly separate from the elite.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Jun 17, 2009 10:44 PM

Apr 2007
A really good one takes the original material and subtly adds layers of elegant nuance upon it that you never realized existed previously. Classic case in point:

Jun 17, 2009 10:45 PM

Apr 2009
http://akross.ru/index.cgi?sec=akross
Check out this site for the best AMVs.

Winner of Akross Con 2007:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaWXTd9Q2-A
Jun 17, 2009 10:51 PM

Feb 2007
Splitter said:
KanjiiZ said:
And Skittles.

and Hold Me Now.

Oh absolutely.
Jun 17, 2009 11:31 PM

Aug 2008
This one is as awesome as it sucks:

Jun 17, 2009 11:59 PM
Jul 2018
KanjiiZ said:
And Skittles.

The funniest AMV ever:

Lol. It's so.. horrible. The flicker probably made me epileptic after watching it.
Jun 18, 2009 12:50 AM

Dec 2007
I really don't understand their objective to beggin with.

It's not like a lot of skill and talent is required to make one and I refuse to consider it a form of art like some claim. I've only watched about 5 AMVs in my life, all of them sent by friends that "omg, I made an amv watch it plz"
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Jun 18, 2009 1:01 AM
Jul 2018
ladyxzeus said:
I really don't understand their objective to beggin with.

It's not like a lot of skill and talent is required to make one and I refuse to consider it a form of art like some claim. I've only watched about 5 AMVs in my life, all of them sent by friends that "omg, I made an amv watch it plz"

I assume the objective of a AMV is to entertain the audience. And no way, that's not an art form - you're taking the drawings/animations of others and putting them in a different order, with Linkin Park in the background playing "CRAAAAWLING IN MY SKIN".
Jun 18, 2009 2:04 AM

Dec 2007
What, Bleach AMVs with Linkin Park - In the end aren't original?
Jun 18, 2009 2:33 AM

May 2009
ladyxzeus said:

Its takes alot of talent to do an AMV well, and make it good. You refuse to consider it a form of art, its movie making, thats what it would fall under, therefore its an art form. Also i'm gonna bet your friends AMV suck. Not to be rude or anything, but judging from your answer, you must have not seen any good ones.

IRTT:

Subtitles aren't too bad I've never been to bothered by them unless they are all blocky and crap. I saw a really horrid One Piece AMV the other day, the person just got 2 mins of a battle, and played The Offspring over it, they also kept the orginal sound in. god it was shit.
Jun 18, 2009 3:29 AM
Mar 2008
K_N said:

I compliment the good ones, don't leave any comment in the okay ones, and for the ones that are terrible beyond words, I say, "A for effort, and F for result," hahaha, because making AMVs is time consuming. An "awesome" AMV would takes weeks to finish. Synchronizing the scenes with the music and applying "cool" effects are pains in the neck -_-

anyway, here's the link to an "awesome" AMV that another "someone" sent to you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu83p00rp6g.
ThirdQEDJun 18, 2009 3:17 PM
Jun 18, 2009 3:48 AM

Aug 2008
I am a regular AMV watcher and I think the best AMVs are made for the contest. There're like 3 AMVs which I saw in the past year and which I can consider great.

Anyone seen any better than this?
Jun 18, 2009 4:00 AM

Apr 2008
Since 99% of them use metal, i'd have to agree that they suck.
Jun 18, 2009 4:16 AM

Apr 2008
They're not all bad. ^_^
I've seen an awful lot of 'em, and once in a while you do come across an absolute gem.

It's sad that most of them are just random clips that don't even run in time with the audio. Come on guys, if you're making a tribute like this, put at least some effort into it. It's not that hard to at least sync the clips with the music.

^ LIKE THAT. NOW THAT IS WHAT AMVs ARE MEANT TO BE LIKE. <3
Jun 18, 2009 4:17 AM

Jan 2008
DeathHormone said:
ladyxzeus said:
Its takes alot of talent to do an AMV well, and make it good. You refuse to consider it a form of art, its movie making, thats what it would fall under, therefore its an art form. Also i'm gonna bet your friends AMV suck. Not to be rude or anything, but judging from your answer, you must have not seen any good ones.

No, AMV is definitely not a form of art. There's barely anything original in it. You cannot express yourself with an AMV. AMV has two main boundaries, the music, and the video you use as a source. And non of them is made by you. Well, It's okay, you can call it art, but it's definitely not your (and here I mean the creator of the AMV) art.

edit: Oh! And since this thread has become a "post your favorite AMV" thread, I'll just leave this here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaXeHwqKyK4
Jun 18, 2009 4:31 AM
Jun 2008
Lmao, Linkin Park.

That's food for the 14 year old's soul. And that's the age demographic for anyone making an AMV anyway.
Jun 18, 2009 4:34 AM

Apr 2008
People should remember that all their tastes are subjective before posting a lot of crap that they do.

It would be nice if there were tags added to AMVs telling me what kind of genre the music will be. The random screeching i sometimes hear, AKA supposed metal music, really gets on my nerves.

I'm fine with people who like a different kind of genre than I do, but what you care to label or tag it In an easily visible area before actually posting? That would mean on the title in a forum post or youtube video.

Of course, i know i shouldn't be expecting much from youtube in the first place, especially since most of the AMVs nowadays are made by 14 y/o fanboy/girls. Although this trend usually tends to decrease when looking for an AMV for a show which is more mature of nature.
Jun 18, 2009 4:47 AM

Nov 2007
Most AMVs are done horribly (taking a 2 minute scene from a random anime and just putting music over it without any cutting/editting isn't an AMV) and some people don't even know how to cut out the sound from the anime... but they post their video anyways thinking it's great.

But I've also seen a lot of decent ones and a few awesome ones. They're just really few and far between.
Jun 18, 2009 5:16 AM

May 2009
One of the best AMVs I found on youtube so far, though its style is completely different than the usual ones. I'm not a big fan of the music but I don't want to know how long it must have taken to create something like this.

There are some other decent ones but 95% on youtube is crap.
Jun 18, 2009 6:02 AM

Apr 2008
i generally like the AMV hell series
AMV hell 3 has to be my favorite and i don't know how many times i've seen it and while i was drinking also

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Jun 18, 2009 6:10 AM

Feb 2009
If you watched your AMV of choice on YouTube, you deserve to be disappointed.

Stop watching AMVs on the worst venue on the internet in the first place.

Either go to a place like http://www.animemusicvideos.org/home/home.php
Or kindly stfu.

True they won't ALL be great, but, if you stick to the top 10 listing, you likely will only be watching what everyone considers to be great, not just some crap on YouTube.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Jun 18, 2009 9:57 AM

Mar 2009
AMVs all seem to have the same super fast fight scene flashing thing going with a lot of similar music. I always like to see stuff that challenges it though.
Jun 18, 2009 10:06 AM

Dec 2007
DeathHormone said:
ladyxzeus said:

Let's put them up to the critic then.

And the first I watched seemed really amazing, but I don't know where it is OL...

But, in all seriousness, timing stuff is not art. A great deal of work maybe but wth. Timing is not creation.
Jun 18, 2009 10:23 AM

May 2009
ladyxzeus said:
DeathHormone said:
ladyxzeus said:

Let's put them up to the critic then.

And the first I watched seemed really amazing, but I don't know where it is OL...

But, in all seriousness, timing stuff is not art. A great deal of work maybe but wth. Timing is not creation.
Sorry, but all of those vids are typical youtube-AMVs. Nothing really worth watching.
But real ones are definitly art. If you seriously think an AMV only consists of timing, then you've got no idea. Like DeathHormone already said, it falls into the same category as movie making, which obviously is a form of art.
Jun 18, 2009 10:26 AM

Dec 2007
But movie making has so many parameters that playing around with pre-created things do not has... ºvº
Jun 18, 2009 10:34 AM

May 2009
That may be true. But AMVs don't only consist of anime clips and background music.

I already posted this vid before, but please watch it (though you might not like the music):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaWXTd9Q2-A

As you can see most of this video is self-made. Of course the basis still consists of the anime.
Jun 18, 2009 10:35 AM

Dec 2007
Unfortunately my computer hates everything that requires loading and does not allow me to watch a movie in Youtube for more than 30 seconds. Main reason why I've only watched 4-5 AMVs in my life xD
Jun 18, 2009 10:44 AM

May 2009
Well, I'm forgiving you then :-)
Let's just say some are art and some are not :'P

Nah, of course you can have your own opinion, but I have mine 8D
Jun 18, 2009 3:17 PM

Jul 2008
AirDemon said:
I am a regular AMV watcher and I think the best AMVs are made for the contest. There're like 3 AMVs which I saw in the past year and which I can consider great.

Anyone seen any better than this?

Yeah:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHieEhINI7g&feature=channel_page

AMV's point is to match a song to a series, or at least make it flow with your effects. It's like your MAL signatures that look all fancy. They are both equally as useless, but you want them.
Jun 23, 2009 1:34 AM
May 2009
Not a single person mentioned Momentum by Koopiskeva?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN8xvX7ZHnc

Also, Paper Image by Koopiskeva.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLe5VdarUPk

Also, Sunshine by Nessephanie.
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3393876/Nessephanie_Sunshine

Not nearly as well-known as many AMV's, but these are some of the best I've seen.
Jun 23, 2009 6:38 AM

Mar 2009
I like AMVs when they don't have linkin park or something playing and bleach/naruto action scenes being flashed in your face non stop.

There are ones I like though, example:
Jun 23, 2009 6:49 AM

Feb 2008
Biggest thing i hate about AMVs is music..... Rather see/hear instrumentals then hear some annoying ass clown, but rarely see any. Even when i decide to look at a AMV i just look at it for 5-10secs hear the music and click the almighty X button on Firefox...
Jun 23, 2009 7:32 AM

Jun 2007
Primus8 said:
I like AMVs when they don't have linkin park or something playing and bleach/naruto action scenes being flashed in your face non stop.

There are ones I like though, example:
That was really cool. I could see that as a bump on Adult Swim.

Jun 23, 2009 4:03 PM

Jan 2009
AMVs are gay.
Jul 6, 2009 6:49 PM

Mar 2009
well there is a good black lagoon one on youtube
Aug 26, 2017 8:40 AM

Nov 2015
It depends on our taste in anime, characters, music, and setting. What may be good to us may be bad to others. What we find enjoyable may hurt others its random and whatnot
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Aug 26, 2017 9:04 AM

Aug 2010
this guy does some quality memes

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.