Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 30, 2010 11:56 AM

Feb 2008
So basically NGE is the story of a depressed kid who wants to be loved being psychoanalysed and finally deciding to stop being depressed.
Well that was shit.
Jun 30, 2010 4:31 PM

Dec 2007
Watch End of Evangelion to see what was going on in the actual world/GeoFront while the three pilots and Misato were undergoing that introspective psychoanalysis for Instrumentality. I think you'll like that version a bit more.

For me, I like them both. One shows one side, and one shows the other (although the decision Shinji makes is not the same for both)
Jun 30, 2010 4:32 PM

Dec 2009
LolitaDecay said:
So basically NGE is the story of a depressed kid who wants to be loved being psychoanalysed and finally deciding to stop being depressed.
Well that was shit.
Pretty much the TV ending is what's going on in Shinji's consciousness, End of Evangelion is everything else.
Jul 1, 2010 4:37 PM

Jul 2009
Meddigo said:
Watch End of Evangelion to see what was going on in the actual world/GeoFront while the three pilots and Misato were undergoing that introspective psychoanalysis for Instrumentality. I think you'll like that version a bit more.

For me, I like them both. One shows one side, and one shows the other (although the decision Shinji makes is not the same for both)

I agree. When you watch both endings, it really isn't that hard to grasp the story. It does wrap everything up and it does it well. People are just too ignorant to care, and the Rebuild series will make sure people don't have to think too much to understand it.
Jul 1, 2010 4:38 PM

Jan 2010
2 deep 4 u
Ok™
Jul 4, 2010 3:23 PM

Aug 2009
Uh, it was a pretty cool ending... But it was just soo cheap! I know the budget was pretty shot but damn!!! If you don't have the cash, don't do it.

Hehe Rei's voice in the school scene was fucked up. 10/10
Jul 8, 2010 7:41 AM

Apr 2010
The ending was really weird compared to the rest of the anime, tough I liked the ending.
Jul 21, 2010 1:33 PM

Dec 2007
The last 3 episodes suck so much :x
Overall a 7
Jul 24, 2010 8:56 PM

May 2010
For those confused with the ending, last two episodes are not that hard to understand at all and in fact takes place during the events of End of Evangelion, with the difference being in their heads before and during Instrumentality. It explores what the characters were feeling at the time which caused them to do what they did or experience. It focuses on Shinji more and clearly shows that he didn't want to exist because he felt the world was alienating him. In the last scene of episode 26 with everyone congratulating him, it was showing how he rejected Instrumentality and chose to return to Earth as an individual being. People who watched End of Eva knows what happens next.

Also, these two episodes were not officially the conclusion for the show. The director's cut preview at the end of episode 24 and other websites shows that the original ending script was the End of Evangelion stuff(so End of Eva is the TRUE ENDING), the TV broadcasters did not allow it due to its content and Gainax also ran outta money to make it as well.

Evangelion should not be considered to be a disappointing series because the main focus is not about robots saving the Earth from the apocalypse, its about how people deal with their depression in drastic situations and how they overcome them. Most of the trauma the characters deal with is what Anno dealt with before creating the series.
ZakuHeadJul 24, 2010 9:12 PM
Jul 24, 2010 9:27 PM

May 2010
blue4113 said:
Wow. I see a lot of people are left confused. Here's what happened. The angels were sent to Earth because they wanted to destroy NERV and SEEL for "playing God". That's why you see angels drilling holes and stuff trying to reach NERV. The second Impact was to bring a stop to Nerv and SEELS toying with life and creation. After all of the Angels were destroyed, the people in charge at SEEL could continue playing God without any interruptions. After the last angel was destroyed, SEEL killed off all the pilots to the EVA's, Shinji's Guardian and the Blond haired scientist. (That's why you see them lying on the ground dead, shot to death). The scientist was killed because she exposed secrets to Shinji's guardian and Shinji's guardian was killed because she knew the truth behind everything. (And she was the guardian of 2 EVA pilots) So if she told the children the truth behind it all, it would not end up good for Ikari's plan. You also heard Rei say that they would have no use for her very soon. Remember when Ikari ordered the crew to take over Shinji's Eva but the crew said that the mechanism to do that wasn't ready to be used? Well it worked, so that showed you that the EVA could be operated without a pilot controlling it. Once all of the Angels were destroyed, Ikari killed everyone off and created a mass production of EVA's. From there he was able to take over the entire world WITHOUT EVA pilots. I'm not sure on the exact episode but somewhere in the mid 10's you hear Ikari's plans on taking over the world with EVA's. That's why SEEL was beginning to become wary of him. So when the show went over all of the characters pasts and psychological stuff, they were actually dead and coming to peace with themselves.

Hope I summed it up.

You're right for the most part, but there are some mistakes. In one of the more recent Evangelion video games released in Japan, the manual had a reference section that added more terminology that cleared up the confusing stuff in the show. The Angels Adam and Lilith were created by godly alien beings called the First Ancestral Race. They spread life throughout the universe by scattering black moons(contained beings similar to Lillith) and white moons( beings like Adam). Each of them either produced beings like Angels or like humans. The white moon was the first to hit Earth( near Antarctica) and thus was the true planet for the Angels. However, a black moon had hit also and ended up starting life for humans instead(this should not happen and explains why the Angels attack, they want to reclaim their planet). The dead sea scrolls (came with each respective moon along with the Lance) predicted the 2nd impact would wipe out all of Earth from the fusion of an Angel and Adam. The 2 impact was falsely started earlier by Seele using the Lance to reduce Adam to a smaller state and minimize damage. The angels constantly attacked Nerv because they had the desire to reunite with Adam and cause the 3rd impact to reclaim Earth(explained by Kaworu to some extent). The guise of protecting the Earth from the Angels was Seele truly planning to start the 3rd impact so they could become a god like existance similar to the Angels, only they would use the Evas to achieve it and not the Angels.
Jul 26, 2010 11:43 AM

May 2008
What the hell was this ending? It's screwed up the entire series for me. I liked the way they handled the psychological things, but it became too much for the ending. This episodes's first half was boring, the second half was much better, but still nothing is complete. As it started so great it ended really badly~
6/10
Jul 26, 2010 6:30 PM
Feb 2010
The anime was trolling
Jul 28, 2010 1:31 PM

May 2010
sayami said:
What the hell was this ending? It's screwed up the entire series for me. I liked the way they handled the psychological things, but it became too much for the ending. This episodes's first half was boring, the second half was much better, but still nothing is complete. As it started so great it ended really badly~
6/10

Yes the ending is a bit confusing, but its not all that hard to understand. Basically the Instrumentality project started and Shinji thinks it will create the world he always wants to live in but realizes that its wrong. Since everyone is connected to each other in Instrumentality, they teach him that he needs to view the world differently and at the end he reallizes that he should stay in living reality and ends Instrumentality with all the characters congratulating him.

Watch End of Evangelion, its the TRUE ending and the real world account of the events while the tv ending takes place in their minds.
Jul 28, 2010 2:26 PM

Dec 2007
GunDumb90 said:
Yes the ending is a bit confusing, but its not all that hard to understand. Basically the Instrumentality project started and Shinji thinks it will create the world he always wants to live in but realizes that its wrong. Since everyone is connected to each other in Instrumentality, they teach him that he needs to view the world differently and at the end he reallizes that he should stay in living reality and ends Instrumentality with all the characters congratulating him.

Watch End of Evangelion, its the TRUE ending and the real world account of the events while the tv ending takes place in their minds.

Except if Shinji truly decided to "stay in living reality" then he should not have been able to see his mother Yui. Rather what I (and I'm pretty sure most people) think happened is that Shinji accepts Instrumentality in the end. Cause, as was shown in the alternate reality world, if Yui and Kyoko (Asuka's mom) were alive then the characters would be completely different, and Shinji could be able to live happily in such a life.

Whereas if you want an ending where Shinji rejects Instrumentality, then that would be End of Evangelion.
Jul 28, 2010 2:50 PM

May 2010
Shinji sees his mother in End of Evangelion also. Also, you're analysis is wrong, the producers of the show all state that the tv endings outcome is exactly the same as End of Evangelion. The movie is a real world account of the 3rd impact, whereas the tv ending takes place in their minds. Also when Shinji says "I want to continue living in this world" in episode 26, it does not mean that he accepts Instrumentality, he is rejecting it in favor of returning to reality instead of running away. Lastly, the alternate reality presented to Shinji is to show him how life can't possibly be as bad as he thinks it is, everyone has the choice to choose for themselves how they want to live their life, that was its purpose and they even stated it in the ending portion of that scene.

Also, this is how you watch Evangelion to understand it( if you get confused easily)
* ADV's Platinum Edition DVDs, episodes 1-20
* ADV's Platinum Edition DVDs, Director's Cut episodes 21'-24'
* Skip to The End of Evangelion, but stop during the Instrumentality scene, about 15 minutes before the movie ends (skip Death & ReBirth completely)
* Watch TV episodes 25 and 26
* Watch the last 15 minutes of The End of Evangelion

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#So_what_should_I.2C_the_North_American_English-speaking_fan_who_doesn.27t_really_know_Japanese.2C_watch.3F

I am face-palming right now because its that easy to understand and you don't.
ZakuHeadJul 28, 2010 3:21 PM
Jul 28, 2010 3:18 PM

Dec 2007
Shinji sees his mother while Instrumentality is taking place, not after he rejects it. Need you forget, the only people there at the end of the movie are Shinji and Asuka surrounded by the sea of LCL.

You still cannot come up with any reason why Shinji would be seeing Yui say "congratulations" if he honestly did accept living in the real world, and until you do so, your view is pretty much nullified.
Jul 28, 2010 3:28 PM

May 2010
Meddigo said:
Shinji sees his mother while Instrumentality is taking place, not after he rejects it. Need you forget, the only people there at the end of the movie are Shinji and Asuka surrounded by the sea of LCL.

You still cannot come up with any reason why Shinji would be seeing Yui say "congratulations" if he honestly did accept living in the real world, and until you do so, your view is pretty much nullified.

Seriously, did you NOT UNDERSTAND a single word? They are congratulating him because they are happy that he realized that he should face the world and not run away from it(accepting instrumentality means he is running away from the world and accepting the false reality he is in). The purpose of the entire segments was to show how he needs to understand that there is a place in the world for him and that he shouldn't run away. While your analysis does have strengths, ultimately it is wrong. Anno stated that the tv and movie endings are the same. Read this wiki to FULLY UNDERSTAND THE SHOW

http://revolutionofevangelion.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#So_what_should_I.2C_the_North_American_English-speaking_fan_who_doesn.27t_really_know_Japanese.2C_watch.3F

I've been watching Evangelion ever since it broadcasted on KTEH back in 2001 and read countless interviews done by the creators and they have disapproved many of these fan theories. Believe me, I'm probably the biggest NGE nerd you're gonna find.
ZakuHeadJul 28, 2010 3:34 PM
Jul 28, 2010 4:03 PM

Dec 2007
Again, I would think that the characters "congratulating" Shinji at the end would be not much different from en e-mail congratulating you for joining something. It's a welcome message, a welcome message to Instrumentality.

The only thing your wiki linked to was the supposed proper viewing order, but offering no reason as to why it should be watched that way .

I am willing to entertain your thoughts, and I believe that you are passionate about them, but they simply do not make sense.

If Shinji had in fact rejected Instrumentality in the TV ending then Yui (whose soul would still be in Unit 01 and therefore not standing beside Gendou) would not be there congratulating him. This is a simple fact. You cannot lay claim that he accepts the real world and the challenges therein and then end the series with his practically-dead mom (as well as several others who were killed off earlier) saying "Congratulations". That's not accepting the real world.
MeddigoJul 28, 2010 4:11 PM
Jul 28, 2010 5:09 PM

May 2010
Are you seriously on something? When the creator ( ie Anno) stated that the show ends with the same results in both the TV ending and movie ending, he is setting the canon. No matter what your theories are and how you view it, you are ultimately wrong, because what the creator says about their show is what actually happens. A person who cannot even understand something as simple as this is simply an idiot. *face palms*

Yui appears in the congratulation scene because in a sense she is involved in Instrumentality, as the soul of unit 1, it was actually participating in the process which will explain why she appears. Do me a favor before you post anything else, please actually do some research and show me why I'm wrong.
Jul 28, 2010 5:20 PM

Dec 2007
I'm actually still waiting for your source of Hideaki Anno stating that.

You have a source I assume? Something credible I hope?

I'm not the one stating that "so-and-so" said this, that's you. You do your own research and provide sources for your statements before you make them.

And that explains Yui being there (her being in Unit 01 yadda yadda), but what of Kaji? Why is he there? Why is Misato there? Those people are dead. The only reason they could be alive and congratulating him is if Shinji accepted Instrumentality. Unless of course, you have some other possible reason.
Jul 30, 2010 7:17 AM

Feb 2009
What makes you believe the scene is real?The scene is obviously taking place in Shinji's mind(at least for me).The background also supports this.For me,it's just Shinji rewarding himself for having made the ''correct'' decision.If the last 2 episodes and End of Eva happen in the same time(the only difference being that the last 2 episodes take place in the minds of the main cast),all the characters couldn't possibly be there,unless...Shinji accepted Instrumentality.This isn't possible as the mental process Shinji went through heavily hinted that he rejected Instrumentality(both in the last episodes and the movie)...or Anno is trolling(why am I thinking that this one is the most plausible scenario?lol)
Urufuzu_reinJul 30, 2010 7:22 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Jul 30, 2010 8:02 AM

Dec 2007
Urufuzu_rein said:
If the last 2 episodes and End of Eva happen in the same time(the only difference being that the last 2 episodes take place in the minds of the main cast)
And that "If" remains the biggest hole of the argument.

And I notice that after I actually asked for the source that plugged that hole that the other side of the debate remained silent. Could you help me out and give me a source stating that Anno directly said the above?
Jul 30, 2010 8:26 AM

Feb 2009
Well,Wiki says:''The meaning of The End of Evangelion is debated — it is not agreed whether it is intended to enlarge and retell 25 and 26 or to completely replace the TV ending with a different one. Some believe that The End of Evangelion is an alternate ending to the series, perhaps created to please those fans who were displeased with the TV series' ending. Deputy Director Kazuya Tsurumaki said he felt the series was complete as it was.''
Wiki also says that ''Anno and deputy director Kazuya Tsurumaki defended the artistic integrity of the finale'' so most probably the movie wasn't planned from the start.I also remember reading that Anno said that the last 2 episodes were planned to have the same content as the movie but it wasn't possible due to the budget.
I don't know if Anno himself said those words and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.I still think that Shinji rejected instrumentality in both endings(because that's what I got from his mental process)...or Anno is trolling.Anno also said that everyone should think what Evangelion means to them.Screw that.Let's spam his inbox with questions!
Urufuzu_reinJul 30, 2010 8:29 AM
"This Forest isn't going to reveal all its secrets for the likes of you."
Aug 2, 2010 10:03 AM

Jan 2010
Benodoc said:
You know, when I originally watched this I didn't care so much for it.

Now that I've rewatched it I love the ending, but I think you have to have been pushed over the edge and suffered from bouts of depression/suicidal thoughts/PTSD to really truly understand and 'feel' it.While many of the realizations Shinji makes are supposedly 'common sense', you also have to understand that depression alters the way people think.

As someone who has been and still goes through these types of experiences, this sums up my feelings on NGE. Loved the series and the ending, for what it made me feel and think while watching it.

and I'll throw in my fav quote of the last ep.
"One who truly hates himself cannot love. He cannot place his trust in another."
2DeehAug 2, 2010 10:16 AM
Aug 3, 2010 11:43 PM

Aug 2007
I just gave the show a second chance and a re-watch. And The ending half is a bit fuzzy on the explanations, but I think it served it's purpose in the end.

I found the "Congratulations" scene to be heartfelt, made me smile for Shinji because he finally snapped out of his depression.

Aug 8, 2010 5:16 AM
Jan 2010
lol
Aug 25, 2010 6:43 PM

Aug 2009
LOL FIRST I WAS LIKE "LOOOL IT WAS ALL A DREAM LOOL FUCK MAN I'M A FAGGOT FUCK LOL." BUT THEN THEY DECIDED TO FUCK UP WITH MY MIND AGAIN. LOL WHAT THE FUCK. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS? WHAT HAPPENED? ANGELS? FUCK I DIDN'T GET IT.

All I got was the budget on this episode was low. This episode was consisted mostly of crappy sketches, random japanese words, random colors flashing in the screen.

Anime was great. The confusion made it very special from the others.
Sep 7, 2010 9:57 PM

Apr 2009
Best psychological Anime out there..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2010 5:34 PM

Mar 2010
That was some abrupt turn of events after the 24th episode.
Who would have thought that Neon Genesis Evangelion was the best anti depressive created by man?
Oct 16, 2010 1:24 PM
Jul 2010
I totally loved it. Really, today was one of the worst days I've had in a while and this actually made me feel better. I guess I chose I nice to day watch it xD

I've always been of the opinion that reality is either as good or as bad as you picture it in your mind. The understanding of that was what this episode was about and it portrayed that in a great way. I simply loved it.

The only thing I needed were more answers. I've understood pretty much everything except for episode 23. The events of that episode feel rushed and they give you no explanation about what happened and the 2 final episodes didn't really concluded anything despite being spectacular.

I was gonna give this a 9/10 but right now I'm considering a 10/10. That's how good the ending was.
Nov 16, 2010 7:44 PM
Feb 2010
Retarded last few episodes.

Mind = Blown
Nov 19, 2010 5:31 PM

Jul 2010
What the hell is this, did they blow their entire budget on the first 24 episodes or something? Honestly, the series was amazing up until then, at which it devolved into a complete shitstorm. No answers provided, no actual closure given. I somewhat understand what they tried to do with this, but overall it's just so out of place and ridiculous. Way to kill a stellar show.

Hope End of Evangelion can give the much needed answers -__-

2/5...1/5 were it not for the alternate future thing.
Nov 19, 2010 5:41 PM

Jul 2010
Yes, please watch End of Evangelion.

It should be mandatory to watch that if you watched the series. Same for anything that can be regarded as the "true ending" (like Baccano OVA imo)
Dec 1, 2010 4:51 AM
Dec 2010
Wow the last few episodes not just 26... i was like OMG! when will it end... just get to the point already... repeated the same thing in different words and order like 250 times in 20 minutes
Dec 9, 2010 8:20 PM

Jul 2009
I offically HATE Shinji
Dec 15, 2010 1:12 AM

Jan 2009
Not sure what the fuck just happened at the end. I get that Shinji became a different person throughout that, but was it a fucking dream, or an alternate universe? Too much random psycho mind-fuck garbage. Random pictures thrown throughout and a completely different feel than the rest of the series. That series would have gotten a 9/10 from me had it had a decent ending. I generously gave it an 8/10 even after the last 2 episodes and the fairly boring first half of the series.

Hopefully the movies are a better conclusion/better understanding of what the fuck just happened.
Dec 22, 2010 8:18 AM
Sep 2010
The last two episodes' progress, compared to the previous, was distinctly tedious. Basically, nothing was resolved and the conclusion was completely tangled. Overall, I'm disappointed that the series had to end this way. I see what they meant by budget cuts. lol;;; But I'm going to hold my judgement until after I've finished the End of Evangelion, since, supposedly, the "true" ending is revealed in that movie.
Jan 15, 2011 9:02 PM

Jul 2010
hmmm i wanted to see whats going to happen with Asuka i want her happy again... :)

Time for the movie :)
Feb 15, 2011 7:24 PM

Aug 2010
2 deep 4 me
Feb 18, 2011 1:43 AM

Sep 2010
Oh god... that was definitely weird.

Time to get a start on the movies.
Feb 24, 2011 5:29 PM

Sep 2009
You know....I could say it's a profound story.

But the simple fact is their budget went to shit.
They made the best out of it.
Nothing was resolved except for Shinji.

I can piece together what happened on my own, but it doesn't mean that it was explained properly or well.

Before anyone tells me. "Watch the movie." or "Watch the directors cuts"
No. I will give you an advanced "Fuck off."
If the story itself requires addition material then the director failed. Be it his own skills or what obviously happened to the budget.

I enjoyed the last two episodes for all the wrong reasons.
Plus one for Penguins.
Mar 16, 2011 4:42 PM
Jul 2009
Such a terrible series. The only parts I liked where the slice-of-life during the first half of the anime. The mecha fighting parts sucked pretty hard, but where somehow realistic. All the forced deep psychological bullcrap in the latter episodes made me bored to death.

There was also so much random crap and stuff that weren't explained. Like episode 24, with Kaworu coming from nowhere, to be dead before the episodes end. Why is he taking up so much space of the cover when he wasn't even in a full episode?! He even takes up more space than Shinji, which is the main character! Oh, Shinji, such a terrible character. He was just an emo kid through the whole series, and I really wished that he would eventually die. Asuka was almost the only character that felt real.

I gave this series 2/10, but I just finished watching the last episode, so maybe I'm being a bit to harsh. Maybe it deserves to get 3/10, or 4/10. But not more than that.
GundamDuoMaxwellMar 16, 2011 4:49 PM
Apr 1, 2011 9:40 PM

Jul 2010
vytah said:
Congratulations, Gainax!

You succeeded in damaging my brain irreversibly.

Could not agree more. Rebuld is so much better. its actually understandable.
ariamachiApr 1, 2011 10:06 PM
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Apr 29, 2011 10:24 AM

Jun 2009
Yeah, 20 - 24 were some of the best episodes I've ever seen. 25 and 26 were just... redundant and pointless. Thank God for E.O.E.
Apr 29, 2011 10:31 AM

Jun 2009
ezaya said:

Lain is better.
May 8, 2011 10:58 PM

Oct 2008
..What the hell was with that ending? :S
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 9, 2011 12:03 AM

Jun 2009
Kinzo said:
ezaya said:

Lain is better.

No, no it isn't. They are about equal in quality imo.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2011 7:53 PM

Aug 2009
After watching this episode, I found myself staring at the ice cream I was eating and thinking about how beautiful chocolate and strawberry looked when mixed together.

Congratulations!!
May 13, 2011 8:25 PM
Feb 2011
well...now that we know how much more of a pussy Shinji is we can move on the movies :)
May 14, 2011 4:18 PM

May 2010
I thought it was very good. Aside from all the stuff going on in this series I found this to be the perfect ending for what was REALLY going on in this series. I saw EoE and found it to be ridiculous,I'd take the original tv ed over any of these remakes,obviously the director is trying to make easy money from these atrocities.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

188 by ohwaitwhat69 »»
May 8, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

152 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Dec 10, 2007

214 by sailorneptunelvr »»
May 8, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

175 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 7, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 27, 2008

167 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.