Forum Settings
Forums

New TV Anime Based on Swedish Fantasy Book Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 1, 2014 12:38 AM

Sep 2012
Yamato 2199 completely changed my view of CGI in anime. Shame that so many people are dropping it already.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Feb 1, 2014 3:02 AM

Nov 2011
I'm overwhelmed with joy! Just when I was thinking, that there isn't any adaptions from my favorite series coming up... I've been dreaming about this while watching WMT series. I hope it will be long enough, like 50 episodes would be great, and they'd keep up with the original story.

About cgi, of course I was disappointed when I noticed. It may be fine with mecha and dancing idols, but this show will have mostly nature landscapes and picturing them with cgi just sounds so wrong. Art that's something like in Kemono no Souja Erin would be the best ): Maybe they want to market it for kids in abroad? I could imagine this been shown in Swedish and Finnish tv.

Maybe I'll get used to it. When I started watching Rose of Versailles I thought that the old style was a turn off, but I soon started to like it. Ronja is still one of my favorite books and I love Lindgren, so there is no way that I'd drop this just because of the animation style. My little brother also wants to see it, and maybe my mom too :D

But if they make it bad, I shall never forgive.

lobkestar said:
Used to play a game about Ronja when I was little, http://www.kinderlines.nl/html/ronja_de_roversdochter_plaatje.html

I played this too! It was somehow like a visual novel, when you could choose what to say to the characters. But I've always been bad at games, so I never played it troughh or even to the halfway, I think :/

Feb 1, 2014 3:57 AM

Oct 2012
Wow, that brings memories back.
Ronja used to be my heroine when I was little.

Well, of course CG isn't that great, but I'm still really looking forward to it.
Feb 1, 2014 6:01 AM

Sep 2011
Sounds interesting, even if it's going to be CG.
Might watch (I'm way too behind on Ghibli movies though :/ ).
Feb 1, 2014 6:35 AM
Feb 2008
ITT: people failing at reading comprehension. Someone even pointed it out already.

Also, Goro Miyazaki is a major turn off. Screw this guy and his bland directing.
Feb 1, 2014 8:36 AM

Jun 2009
I remember reading the book back when I was in elementary school. Good times. At this point I only care about the fact that it's adaptation of Lindgren's book.
Feb 1, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2008
BigSimo said:
GarLogan78 said:
CG 3D is a turn off.

yeah, i won't be touching this

Probably will follow y'all too
Feb 1, 2014 10:30 AM

Sep 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Psajdak said:
Never had any problem with CG.

If you have seen the Berserk movies, you would feel some of the concern that people on here are expressing.

Story sounds good, but that CG direction scares me a bit.

The movies were awesome and I say that as a long-time fan of the franchise (well, mainly the manga).

IntroverTurtle said:
Uriel_The_Fourth said:
Psajdak said:
Never had any problem with CG.

If you have seen the Berserk movies, you would feel some of the concern that people on here are expressing.

Story sounds good, but that CG direction scares me a bit.
If you've seen Aoki Hagane, you would laugh at some of the concern people are expressing. It was obvious to see no matter what kind and how good of CGI they used for Berserk the fans would hate it.

Pretty much this.

Plus there are the CGI haters who have to comment on every CGI anime just to say how much they hate CGI. Not like anybody cares about substance anymore, they just want their anime girls to look pretty in the one artstyle they are used to. And don't anything DARE vary from the norm because their superficial minds cannot handle it.
If CGI haters can casually judge every CGI anime before they've seen it, I can surely judge and generalize about them too :)

It's nothing like that...I just think it works for somethings and not other. Like when it comes to something like Gundam CGI is fine. When it comes to a story like Berserk, sorry but I don't like it. It's my personal taste, I prefer traditional hand drawn characters over completely CG characters. Also I'm sorry but you cannot argue that the CG in Berserk was good or passable. It looked like PS2 graphics.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17qiqn3iwhfjljpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

Btw despite my dislike for the CG in the new Berserk movies I did enjoy the last one. I thought it was pretty darn good at least compared to the previous 2 films.
Feb 1, 2014 11:30 AM

Jan 2014
Last time they made an anime out of a Swedish story, we got Nils and it was pretty much something 99% of our industry's mediocre authors can't touch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 1, 2014 11:40 AM

Jul 2007
IronLobster said:
Yamato 2199 completely changed my view of CGI in anime. Shame that so many people are dropping it already.

^

This.
Feb 1, 2014 11:47 AM
Feb 1, 2014 11:49 AM

Dec 2013
lol they're going to make an anime based on that trash x)
Feb 1, 2014 11:53 AM

Nov 2011
And hey, at least it's not rotoscoped! :D

Feb 1, 2014 12:56 PM

Sep 2012
Ronja Rövardotter in anime format? And Ghibli? Will definitely watch.
Feb 1, 2014 7:01 PM

Nov 2012
GarLogan78 said:
CG 3D is a turn off.
Feb 2, 2014 2:58 AM
Nov 2013
Even though it's cg 3d and that one of my most beloved children book and movie will be spoken in Japanese I will most definately check it out.
Feb 2, 2014 4:44 AM
Nov 2013
Interesting.
A new story about the book/movie what I have read/watched and loved and I stil love.

Astrid Lindgren´s books are as good as always that one of them has made an impression on Studio Ghibli people.
Feb 2, 2014 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
Almost every anime these days are CG, no one does cel animation anymore, so I don't really understand some people complaining about it being CG, however I too don't like anime made with 3D Animation Softwares.
Feb 2, 2014 6:28 AM

Aug 2011
dblbch said:
Almost every anime these days are CG, no one does cel animation anymore, so I don't really understand some people complaining about it being CG, however I too don't like anime made with 3D Animation Softwares.

Almost every anime? Woah, talk about exaggeration. The last full blown CGI anime I saw was something that came out in fall; Arpeggio. Besides Tesagure, I don't believe that there is a single anime airing this season that is fully reliant on CGI for everything.
Feb 2, 2014 6:35 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Lol what the hell? :o

Not the first place I expected Ronja Rövardotter to end up on but I'm interested ^^
Feb 2, 2014 7:10 AM

Mar 2010
sounds good...but not really interested.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 2, 2014 2:56 PM

Aug 2013
At first, i couldn't wait for its release but now knowing it'd be completely made in CGI i got a little concerned about the outcome. I'm not a CGI hater, heck, i love Pixar, but usually in tv shows the animation just doesn't get that good.

Let's wait. I hope it'll become something good.
Feb 2, 2014 4:21 PM

Feb 2012
Laciie said:
dblbch said:

Almost every anime? Woah, talk about exaggeration. The last full blown CGI anime I saw was something that came out in fall; Arpeggio. Besides Tesagure, I don't believe that there is a single anime airing this season that is fully reliant on CGI for everything.

You mix things up a bit. It is true, that almost every anime today is made on a computer (some more, some less obvious. Just look at the background animations in a lot of anime).CG means computer generated, so dblbch was right about that. Classical Cel animation(in other words: most hand-drawn stuff) started vanishing over a decade ago and in this day and age, only very few animators still use them(it was big news last year, when Sazae-San changed to computer animation, being the very last(!) tv anime to do so). The problem here is is 3D-CGI or full-CGI(however you want to call it), shows like Arpeggio or Tesagure, that aren't drawn in a classical way and mostly look quite ugly.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Feb 2, 2014 4:23 PM

Mar 2012
First time I've heard of a non-Japanese work being adapted into anime (Japanese).
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Feb 3, 2014 1:23 AM

Aug 2013
dafuq from all of astrid's works thats the one the choose?
"he that chooses his own path needs no map" - queen kristina of Sweden
Feb 3, 2014 3:54 AM

Mar 2010
Sageie said:
dafuq from all of astrid's works thats the one the choose?

At least it is better than "Emil of Lönneberga". I haven't been a fan of Astrid Lindgren as I think most of her work is decent.
Feb 4, 2014 11:04 AM

Jul 2010
dblbch said:

Studio Ghibli has been making its movies in traditional animation again (no digital paint) since Ponyo. Miyazaki dissolved their computer animation department before production of Ponyo started and had been animating movies on paper again up to now. (though i'm not sure about Takahata's Kaguyahime no Monogatari)

Kuro-chin said:
First time I've heard of a non-Japanese work being adapted into anime (Japanese).

the first color anime feature film Panda and the Magic Serpent (1958) is based on a chinese folklore ^^,
AmberFebruaryFeb 4, 2014 11:09 AM
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Feb 5, 2014 12:56 PM

Jul 2009
Studio Ghibli, generally great, but Goro Miyazaki, I'm not too sure, maybe?
Tales of Earthsea and 'Poppy Hill were the two worst SG films I ever saw, just by chance, I later found that they happened to both be his handywork.

Feb 7, 2014 12:30 AM

Dec 2012
I'm really not sure of this! Most Swedes are raging against it.
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Feb 7, 2014 12:33 AM

Dec 2012
Kuro-chin said:
You mean you haven't watched the Miyazaki movies Howl's moving castle and The secret world of Arrietty??
The 2002 Tokyo Mew Mew adaptation is not as great as you remember it being.
Feb 7, 2014 1:15 AM

Nov 2013
Used to love the Swedish adaption of this Movie as a kid. Really looking forward to the anime.
Feb 7, 2014 3:45 AM

Jun 2012
I love Ronja Röverdotter, it was part of my childhood. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
35 minutes ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
2 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
3 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

17 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.