Forum Settings
Forums

Why do people think anime is so life changing, different, or special?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 21, 2009 8:57 PM
Mar 2009
Of all my hobbies anime, manga, and video games have changed me the least.

My practices in martial arts, working out, and practice shooting have done more for me overall.
Mar 21, 2009 11:38 PM

Apr 2008
Aokaado said:
U misunderstand me sam =(
+1
Mar 21, 2009 11:39 PM

Oct 2007
Most manga has different influences. After finishing it, it depends on how the person takes it. It can be good or bad. It just depends.

Well, I was a kid, so anime and manga have changed my life but not too much.

Its just another phase.
Mar 22, 2009 4:54 AM

Mar 2008
Vagabond said:
Legend said:
how has internet changed your life?

how has tv changed your life?

how has technology changed your life?

how has anything that doesnt directly come from you changed your life?

how has sex changed your life?

yes OP how? HOW !?!?

They all give me a reason to touch myself.

thats right dude as soon as read OP i touched myself HARD and every time i watch anime i do it dirty.
Mar 22, 2009 5:11 AM

Feb 2008
I get what SY's saying and I share the exact same opinion.
To me it's just one of my many interests which collectively 'shaped' who I am you could say. Although I'm pretty damn sure I'd be the same person without anime.

I just think the problem with MAL is that there are alot of people here who literally live off of anime and that in turn, has changed how they live their lives. Although you know when something like that has happened you probably need to get a life.

Although for a while I honestly believed anime had changed my life in that I wanted to become a manga artist, I wanted to move to Japan yadda yadda but it was a phase and I grew out of it...albeit after three years of intently following that path. I'd still love to write/draw my own manga and if the chance came I'd snap up becoming a manga artist in an instant but it's just one of my many, many goals. Not that life changing until it actually happens.

I could also say it's made me more open minded in terms of broadening my music taste and cultural interests but at the same time it's also desensitised me although I think it's just a conclusive effort made by books, tv, anime, manga and film.

It depends on the person. I'm not really that interested in tv shows (except Gossip Girl and Supernatural) and I don't really watch that many films. But I'm a book worm and I love anime and manga. Most of my friends in real life haven't touched an anime series or manga in their lives. I have one friend who wants to become a film director so you could say in a sense, film has changed his life. Shaping what he wants to become. I think because we've had these topics on an anime forum, like SY stated, you're probably going to get more of a niche of people claiming anime/manga has indeed changed their lives. But I think you'd get the same thing on a film/book/tv forum. We're pretty much influenced by most things in life. Such is herd mentality. Bleh.

tl;dr
KappakaMar 22, 2009 5:15 AM
Mar 22, 2009 5:12 AM

Dec 2007
Well, probably because anime kind of serves as a gateway to other japanese culture and Japan as a country.

You watch anime => Get interested in your hobby's country of origin => Discover new stuff, of which you might like something (Language, Music, Cuisine, History, Lifestyle etcetc) => Parts of your life have been changed by anime.

See, for me I can say that the change was quite major. I've always been interested in asian language, and have planned to study either chinese,japanese or korean for a long time now. I chose japanese, but I can't deny that anime hasn't influenced my choice. And now, because I'm studying japanese I will continue my japanese language studies in Japan during october.
While I obviously don't go there for the anime and hardcore otaku life (no, I'm not that retarded :D), I still again can't deny that it has at least played some part in me reaching that decision, and as such has (majorly?) influenced my life.
yakisobapanMar 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Mar 22, 2009 5:20 AM

Dec 2007
It only changed me because it was always the main entertainment resource I ever had. Meaning that all tv I watched since ever was composed by anime. In that way, Disney movies also changed me and influenced my life, and so X-Files, Power Rangers and Baywatch.

Nowadays, it is the only thing I "watch" at home, and I do it a lot, so it's my primary resource.

But it's not "special" or "different". I still prefer books to anime, and they still influence me more than anime. Anime is not any different in quality and story from an average soap-opera. However, it's easier to watch than to read and it's funnier to see 2D animations than ugly and un-talented actors.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 22, 2009 5:50 AM

Mar 2008
Mar 22, 2009 6:25 AM

Jun 2008
SENSEI NO PETTO
Mar 22, 2009 10:28 AM

Jun 2008
Kira01 said:
The least to say, it does somewhat re-shape my political ideals and perspective. Thus, it does somewhat change my life and it is also very special to me. Of course, there are many other factors that make anime so special and necessary. More over, its not just anime, manga too. Both anime and manga are necessities of life.

I giggled, and a part of me died.

LolitaDecay said:
I get what SY's saying and I share the exact same opinion.
To me it's just one of my many interests which collectively 'shaped' who I am you could say. Although I'm pretty damn sure I'd be the same person without anime.
You could never tell, since you haven't experienced both. It's like the much-debated topic of: "Was the nuclear bomb in Nagasaki and Hiroshima necessary?" One can never tell what would have happened if the bomb didn't go down. Therefore, you can probably never tell what would have happened if you didn't know about anime. You could guess, true, but, that judgment is based on the premise that you have watched anime already.

Tbh, anything you do in life shapes and molds you. Most of the effects are too subtle for you to know, and overtime, it just seems all too normal to you. Only some shocking/traumatic event that you experienced personally could actually dramatically change you. It's true that anime isn't actually "life changing", as to the respect of dramatic changes, but it does change you, one way or another.

It then comes back to what each one would think on the term of "special" or "life changing" or "change". But when topics encourage each person to express a part of them, you have to expect some of the answers to be appalling. Be it truth, or merely assumed truths.
Mar 22, 2009 11:46 AM

Feb 2005
Tachii said:
Kira01 said:
The least to say, it does somewhat re-shape my political ideals and perspective. Thus, it does somewhat change my life and it is also very special to me. Of course, there are many other factors that make anime so special and necessary. More over, its not just anime, manga too. Both anime and manga are necessities of life.
I giggled, and a part of me died.
I wouldn't say changing one's perspectives because of anime is such a silly thought though. Even though I'd say 90% of popular anime and manga carry no deep messages or thoughtful musings, we must always consider that depth might have different meanings to people, it all depends on how much you've thought about certain subjects before watching X series.
I never found series like NGE or Lain to be particularly mindblowing, because I had already thought about most of the concepts they presented before seeing it, but if I was some twelve year old that still believed in Santa and good and evil, those series would probably crack my narrow mind open. Even a flashy series like Code Geass might be considered deep by some, it just depends on what manner of depth one is used to.
BamanMar 22, 2009 11:50 AM
Mar 22, 2009 11:50 AM

Jun 2008
Oh, I wasn't giggling about that. I was mainly giggling the part "Both anime and manga are necessities of life." I was also a bit sad afterward, truthfully.
Mar 22, 2009 11:59 AM

Sep 2007
Yep, anime is just a form of entertainment - and not even that high of a success rate for being "influential to me" compared to other forms of entertainment. Almost any highly acclaimed novel that I pick up ends up being vastly more significant to me personally than 99% of the anime I've seen.

And to be honest, I think video games are usually more entertaining than anime.
Mar 22, 2009 6:49 PM

Jul 2007
SY said:
Honestly, I think on MAL I have seen so many different topics on how anime has affected people on this website. Whenever I see these topics I think "It hasn't change me in any specific way. It's no different than any other forms of entertainment."
Sure certain series can be very meaningful, and perhaps even change your perspective on things, but on a whole it's just an entertainment medium.

I mean really, if I said "How has TV affected your life?" most people would gaff at the thought that TV as a whole has caused me to grow as a person.

This leads me to how certain people think watching anime makes them "special". I watch certain anime because they are good. Just like movies, TV and books. Most people entertain themselves with shit like this. How does "anime" stand out to people? Really, you don't have to be some hikikamori to appreciate anime.

I don't know, heh. I just find it absurd people care so much.

Like what about American comics? A lot of those are pretty fucking awesome. Any one location can make awesome shit.

You're just ignorant.

Even the worst anime series has better cinematography skills than the best of Spielberg, or Hollywood. Twilight, even is no match for anime. Watching anime would be comparable to listening to a mashup of avril lavigne, miley cyrus and tay zonday while sniffing cocaine off billy may's newest toilet seat and having an orgasm with edward from twilight.

This however, doesn't even cover how life-changing anime is. To call anime life-changing is an understatement. Even without its spellbounding skills of storytelling and realistic portrayal of our daily struggles with which we must cope with, it truly speaks to your soul as a 5 lb chocolate bar rejuvenates your dog, giving you countless epiphanies. It is perhaps the most powerful drug, but with no withdrawal symptoms or addictions, and is known to cure every illness from student debts and loans to extensive social activity. (Such attributes, have, of course made it a threat to pharmecuticals which is why they don't sponsor anime which would lead to their downfall! Damn those corporate conspiracy for profit and being scared of the miracle cures!) It provides its viewers with the deepest discussions and insights of the most elusive philosophical and moral questions, as well as their answers. It even explains the mystery and process of mastering and manipulating love.

No other medium of communication or form of entertainment can even hope to compare to what Anime can do to one's life. Furthermore, to relegate anime to the title of "form of entertainment" is disgusting, and suggests a gross lack of understanding of the power of anime to completely revolutionize one's life. In my personal experience, anime has done wonders for me. About 6 years ago was when I first watched anime, and thereafter my life got flipped, turned upside down and Id like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel-air.

tr1ggers4dMar 22, 2009 7:13 PM
Mar 22, 2009 6:58 PM

Jul 2008
tr1ggers4d said:
Even the worst anime series has better cinematography skills than the best of Spielberg, or Hollywood.
Anime don't got shit on Jurassic Park or Saving Private Ryan.
Mar 22, 2009 7:01 PM

Oct 2007
Vagabond said:
tr1ggers4d said:
Even the worst anime series has better cinematography skills than the best of Spielberg, or Hollywood.
Mar 22, 2009 7:04 PM

Mar 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:
Vagabond said:
tr1ggers4d said:

sorry but in this pic green lantern wins
Mar 22, 2009 7:17 PM

Nov 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
Vagabond said:
tr1ggers4d said:
-img here-

Yeah that's easily the fairest comparison between manga and american comics that I've ever seen. Nope, not biased at all, American comics are obviously superior.

Only a fool would believe otherwise!
Mar 22, 2009 7:22 PM

Mar 2008
CanadaAotS said:
llxwarbirdxll said:
Vagabond said:
tr1ggers4d said:
-img here-

Yeah that's easily the fairest comparison between manga and american comics that I've ever seen. Nope, not biased at all, American comics are obviously superior.

Only a fool would believe otherwise!

thats is right sir. and i give you this as your reward.

Mar 22, 2009 7:32 PM

May 2008
American comics are filled with too much superhero bullcrap.
If comics was all Superman and Batman and Spiderman and X-Men stuff, I never would have bothered getting into comics of any kind at all.

Manga helped me want to get into comics. Otherwise, I would have just thought comics were stupid and made a crack about how ugly superhero costumes were.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 22, 2009 7:37 PM

Nov 2007
tr1ggers4d said:
SY said:
Honestly, I think on MAL I have seen so many different topics on how anime has affected people on this website. Whenever I see these topics I think "It hasn't change me in any specific way. It's no different than any other forms of entertainment."
Sure certain series can be very meaningful, and perhaps even change your perspective on things, but on a whole it's just an entertainment medium.

I mean really, if I said "How has TV affected your life?" most people would gaff at the thought that TV as a whole has caused me to grow as a person.

This leads me to how certain people think watching anime makes them "special". I watch certain anime because they are good. Just like movies, TV and books. Most people entertain themselves with shit like this. How does "anime" stand out to people? Really, you don't have to be some hikikamori to appreciate anime.

I don't know, heh. I just find it absurd people care so much.

Like what about American comics? A lot of those are pretty fucking awesome. Any one location can make awesome shit.

You're just ignorant.

Even the worst anime series has better cinematography skills than the best of Spielberg, or Hollywood. Twilight, even is no match for anime. Watching anime would be comparable to listening to a mashup of avril lavigne, miley cyrus and tay zonday while sniffing cocaine off billy may's newest toilet seat and having an orgasm with edward from twilight.

This however, doesn't even cover how life-changing anime is. To call anime life-changing is an understatement. Even without its spellbounding skills of storytelling and realistic portrayal of our daily struggles with which we must cope with, it truly speaks to your soul as a 5 lb chocolate bar rejuvenates your dog, giving you countless epiphanies. It is perhaps the most powerful drug, but with no withdrawal symptoms or addictions, and is known to cure every illness from student debts and loans to extensive social activity. (Such attributes, have, of course made it a threat to pharmecuticals which is why they don't sponsor anime which would lead to their downfall! Damn those corporate conspiracy for profit and being scared of the miracle cures!) It provides its viewers with the deepest discussions and insights of the most elusive philosophical and moral questions, as well as their answers. It even explains the mystery and process of mastering and manipulating love.

No other medium of communication or form of entertainment can even hope to compare to what Anime can do to one's life. Furthermore, to relegate anime to the title of "form of entertainment" is disgusting, and suggests a gross lack of understanding of the power of anime to completely revolutionize one's life. In my personal experience, anime has done wonders for me. About 6 years ago was when I first watched anime, and thereafter my life got flipped, turned upside down and Id like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called bel-air.

I agree completely, Anime is like nectar from the gods. I don't understand how billions of people everyday somehow live without it. It should be placed on the same tier as food, water, and shelter. Third world countries should have Anime piped to them via satellite, free of charge.
Mar 22, 2009 7:37 PM

Mar 2008
ukonkivi said:
American comics are filled with too much superhero bullcrap.
If comics was all Superman and Batman and Spiderman and X-Men stuff, I never would have bothered getting into comics of any kind at all.

Manga helped me want to get into comics. Otherwise, I would have just thought comics were stupid and made a crack about how ugly superhero costumes were.

Mar 22, 2009 7:41 PM

Oct 2007
CanadaAotS said:
Anime is like nectar from the gods.
But anime doesn't taste anything like Neverender's bodily fl-Nevermind.
Mar 22, 2009 7:44 PM

May 2008
llxwarbirdxll said:

Like it's even natural for a guy to have that much muscle. Freaking gross.

Mar 22, 2009 7:45 PM

Jul 2007
llxwarbirdxll said:
CanadaAotS said:
Anime is like nectar from the gods.
But anime doesn't taste anything like Neverender's bodily fl-Nevermind.

But you know what else?
tr1ggers4d said:
Watching anime would be comparable to listening to a mashup of avril lavigne, miley cyrus and tay zonday while sniffing cocaine off billy may's newest toilet seat and having an orgasm with edward from twilight.

Dec 2008
ukonkivi said:

Who wants to bet they can't even wipe their own ass?

Mar 2008
ukonkivi said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

Mar 22, 2009 7:49 PM

May 2008
Dragonball Z did get pretty out there with the muscle growth.
I rather prefer it when Manga DOESN'T go that route. Which is luckily fairly common.

Mar 22, 2009 7:52 PM

Mar 2008
ukonkivi said:
I rather prefer it when Manga DOESN'T go that route. Which is luckily fairly common.

Mar 22, 2009 7:52 PM

Jul 2008
ukonkivi said:
Because they're generally about ecchi, teens/preteens, or some overly lucky guy who find himself landed in a harem romcom?

Thanks, but no thanks.
Mar 22, 2009 7:54 PM

Oct 2007
ukonkivi said:
llxwarbirdxll said:

Mar 22, 2009 7:57 PM

Mar 2008
Mar 22, 2009 7:58 PM

Jul 2008
Because once you fap to hentai, you're done.
Mar 22, 2009 7:58 PM
Dec 2008
FFS can we stop posting these freaks?

I think I threw up inside my mouth.
Mar 22, 2009 8:04 PM

Feb 2007
astronomical said:
I'm not a guy...

So?

Guy and in dude and in buddy as in man... I wasn't talking about your gender, bro.

EDIT: WAIT, TRIG SHOWED ME THE LIGHT! OH GOD, ANIME! *WEEPS*
SY_IS_DEAD_IRLMar 22, 2009 8:09 PM
Mar 22, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
Vagabond said:
Because they're generally about ecchi, teens/preteens, or some overly lucky guy who find himself landed in a harem romcom?

Why, that was a terribly accurate summary about anime in general!

Mar 22, 2009 8:10 PM

Jul 2008
ukonkivi said:
Vagabond said:
About as accurate as the generalizations of Western media that's been continuously made in this forum.
Mar 22, 2009 8:10 PM

Mar 2008
ukonkivi said:
Vagabond said:

i thought so
Mar 22, 2009 8:18 PM

May 2008
Vagabond said:
About as accurate as the generalizations of Western media that's been continuously made in this forum.

Well, not that I've read the thread fully. But I do think Japanese comics do tend to have higher variety than American comics.

While it's true that Japanese comics most definitely have their own staples and archetypes, Magical Girls, Mechas, Harem, Ecchi, Hentai, Romance, Martial Arts, and Horror, are certainly more of a variety than just "superhero".

And to my understanding, that which isn't superhero oriented, is called "alt-comics" in America. And by American comics standards, most anime would be labeled 'alt-comics', if made in America.

Mar 22, 2009 8:19 PM

Mar 2009
Personally, I haven't found anime to be anymore "special" than the various other forms of media I enjoy, however I don't begrudge anyone who feels otherwise.

I'm not surprised by the fact that some people have found anime to be very influential, its only natural that any media will affect different people in different ways. In particular I find it laudable that some people have been influenced to better themselves, e.g. learning Japanese, researching Japanese culture/history, due to anime.
Mar 22, 2009 8:26 PM

Mar 2008
comic book nerds are much worse than anime otaku. but less agressive than anime otaku.

less rape as well.
Mar 22, 2009 8:29 PM

Jul 2008
ukonkivi said:
While it's true that Japanese comics most definitely have their own staples and archetypes, Magical Girls, Mechas, Harem, Ecchi, Hentai, Romance, Martial Arts, and Horror, are certainly more of a variety than just "superhero".

Except for the fact that that variety you just listed usually all contain a 'superhero' main character who performs 'superhero' like feats. Plus, why do you go and generalize western media as 'superhero' right after being sarcastic about the generalization I made earlier?
Mar 22, 2009 8:31 PM

Mar 2008
Mar 22, 2009 8:36 PM

May 2008
But a large portion of anime and manga DON'T contain superheroes. And if they do have superpowers as characters, they don't fit the same archetype as much as DC and Marvel and other American comics fit the "muscular guy in spandex with an altar ego" as much. There's quite a several forms of "superhero" when Japanese comics choose to.

Magical Girls, Mechas, and Martial Arts is quite a variety to choose from under the "superhero" label.

And I do think American comics are more "one size fits all" than Japanese comics. Meaning American comics are better generalized than Japanese ones. Would you not consider superheroes in spandex the norm in American comics and the deviations the label of "alternative comics"?

Mar 22, 2009 8:37 PM

Oct 2007
ITT: Nobody reads American comics.
Mar 22, 2009 8:37 PM

Feb 2007
ukonkivi said:
But a large portion of anime and manga DON'T contain superheroes. And if they do have superpowers as characters, they don't fit the same archetype as much as DC and Marvel and other American comics fit the "muscular guy in spandex with an altar ego" as much. There's quite a several forms of "superhero" when Japanese comics choose to.

Magical Girls, Mechas, and Martial Arts is quite a variety to choose from under the "superhero" label.

And I do think American comics are more "one size fits all" than Japanese comics. Meaning American comics are better generalized than Japanese ones. Would you not consider superheroes in spandex the norm in American comics and the deviations the label of "alternative comics"?

You are so unbelievably wrong about American comics.
Mar 22, 2009 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
Sure. My scale for disgusting peaks at "reading Bleach," now. Before it was, I don't know. I've never really been disgusted with anything much. Probably other animes on that same level too.
Mar 22, 2009 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
Welcome to the NHK helped hikikomori's to seek help and become normal people.

So there.
(づ°‿°.)づ
Mar 22, 2009 8:42 PM

Mar 2008
SY said:
ukonkivi said:

You are so unbelievably wrong about American comics.

did somone say AMERICA!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.