Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 11, 2009 10:25 AM
Jun 2008
in some animes/mangas/fantasy, you can see talking about killing intent.
Right now I recall it from FMP, and F/SN Visual Novel.

When a person feels this killing intent, the feeling that their life is in danger/ someone is trying to kill him.

Does this Killing Intent exist in Anime/Fantasy only, or as well in Real Life?
and can the victim feel it?

to make this more focused, less general

So in this situation (form F/SN VN)

"A Chilling intent to kill comes from behind me.
"I missed, huh? It must have been my mistake in letting out my intent to kill, or it must have been your cleverness in jumping back instantly.""

So, why is the victim alive?
The situation before that was not too suspicious, the victim did not expect that, so his paranoia/alert was not fully activate.
pdf4Mar 11, 2009 12:37 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Mar 11, 2009 10:29 AM

Jul 2008
Schiozophrenia.

A family member suffered from it and he always felt like someone was trying to kill him, or targeting him at least.
Mar 11, 2009 10:35 AM

Dec 2007
Mar 11, 2009 10:36 AM

Dec 2007
As animal you keep your instinct of "something dangerous is coming, take cover or defend yourself". I suppose that's what they interpretate as "Killing Intent"?

Of course that if I was to be killed with a very unexpected tool (take a Death Note) I'd not feel such danger and, therefore, I'd not react.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Mar 11, 2009 10:38 AM

Jul 2008
Paranoia, dont we all have it?

Mine is at an extremely high level.
Mar 11, 2009 10:41 AM

May 2008
I actually always hated when they used "killing intent" for 殺気(sakki) in subs for some reason. I think it's a sort of annoying way of saying it. "Malice" or something would make for a much less ugly translation.
Mar 11, 2009 12:15 PM

Oct 2008
I felt something like a killing intent when I played football. You juke to avoid a tackle without ever really knowing you're doing it. I think instinct is a much better way to describe then killing intent ,though, because instinct never becomes dull and boring after hearing it in a hundred different anime shows.
Mar 11, 2009 12:18 PM

Jul 2008
I can sort of, kind of sense when a person I'm sparring/fighting against is going to strike with what he/she hopes to be a strong blow. Is that kind of what you're talking about?
Mar 11, 2009 12:21 PM
Jun 2008
Ok if I understood well:

ladyxzeus said:

Of course that if I was to be killed with a very unexpected tool (take a Death Note) I'd not feel such danger and, therefore, I'd not react.

You won't receive killing intent / paranoia/ feel of danger if some you cannot reach with you 5 senses was trying to kill you. Like a sniper.

You can "feel" danger (from Paranoia) by REALIZING that you are in danger.
ex:
-A guy looks you with a certain expression in his face
-You have a conversation, and then the person suddenly stops talking

So I came to the conclusion (was it obvious?)
?Instinct = Paranoia?

When you paranoia come up, and yes it was a likely dangerous situation, THERE IS A CHANCE THAT THE SITUATION WAS REALLY DANGEROUS.
And I confused that, for an instance I thought that if a person was thinking/trying to kill you, the it would activate the target's the fear of danger/ killing intent.

that would explain to me how a person would die without feeling danger by a sniper;
and how a person could be saved by paranoia (luck?) by a failed assassin.

So in this situation (form F/SN VN)

"I missed, huh? It must have been my mistake in letting out my intent to kill, or it must have been your cleverness in jumping back instantly.""
So this Killing Intent is there in fantasy. In real life it would be:
-I felt myself in extreme danger, what if the person behind me would slash me?
-I missed, huh? It must have been my mistake in making this situation too suspicious, or it must have been your cleverness in jumping back instantly""

Now in theory, it could be possible it is caused by quantum ? Like the quantum brain waves in Gundam00?
Theoreacally I think we could feel Killing Intent through something related to quantum.
This lastly is almost a random theory, since I am somewhat fantasizing 8D

OZ31 said:
Schiozophrenia.
A family member suffered from it and he always felt like someone was trying to kill him, or targeting him at least.

Yes but, that one is a problem of only that person. He will feel danger even if noone is really trying to harm him, so he is making himself the danger.
pdf4Mar 11, 2009 12:39 PM
Mar 11, 2009 12:27 PM
Jun 2008
I don't think I ever came close to death =)
Mar 11, 2009 12:29 PM

Oct 2008
have you ever been in a fight? because like Vagabond said you kind of just feel something even if it's not meant to kill you.
Mar 11, 2009 12:32 PM
Jun 2008
I dun't fight xP
Mar 11, 2009 12:32 PM

Dec 2007
A Paranoia is different. Your senses feel more than what they are supposed and you are at a constant alert state that may lead to hallucianations.

I don't know much about quantum, but if you can measure it with your receptors... Certainly.
Mar 11, 2009 12:35 PM

Dec 2007
ladyxzeus said:
A Paranoia is different. Your senses feel more than what they are supposed and you are at a constant alert state that may lead to hallucianations.

Sounds very much like what I'm experiencing lately.
Mar 11, 2009 12:47 PM

Apr 2008
it's not as if animal instinct/killing intent is something supernatural.
there are many logical factors to why one might dodge something.
Mar 11, 2009 12:50 PM

Dec 2007
Baby_Sasuke said:
it's not as if animal instinct/killing intent is something supernatural.
there are many logical factors to why one might dodge something.

It's not about precaution though.
Mar 11, 2009 12:55 PM

Jul 2008
pdf4 said:

So, why is the victim alive?
The situation before that was not too suspicious, the victim did not expect that, so his paranoia/alert was not fully activate.

Forgot to respond to the scenario, so here I go.

Let's say I was the target. I, for one, feel large amounts of anxiety when anyone, even friends, are directly behind me. I know they're there. I can 'sense' them there. This anxiety doesn't dissipate until I have a view of everyone around me and no one is behind me. This anxiety greatly enhances how much I'm paying attention to what is going on behind me.

From another perspective, you sense and process an extremely vast amount of sensory input through your five senses. You take in so much that you continuously subconsciously discard tons of this input that your brain deems unnecessary. Now let us apply this to the scenario. Say someone was coming up behind you with plans to strike at you in some way. You will sense things such as the sound of the approach in the form of footsteps, breathing, ruffling of clothes as someone draws, say, a knife out of their pocket, etc, the feel of the air around you moving when they're really close, the speed at which they're approaching from the sound, and tons more. Just because you don't consciously think of all this doesn't mean your subconscious isn't going, "OH SHIT!"

Even longer story somewhat shorter, I like to think of that "OH SHIT!" as the sensing of killing intent of the assailant from behind.

Been a long time since I've learned of this sort of thing. If I'm horribly off on something, just... I dunno... call me an idiot or some shit.

Chavez said:

Actually, I'd say it kind of is. By simply paying more attention to your surroundings, you have taken a precaution that will greatly improve your ability to 'sense' 'killing intent'.
Mar 11, 2009 12:57 PM

Dec 2007
Vagabond said:
Chavez said:

Actually, I'd say it kind of is. By simply paying more attention to your surroundings, you have taken a precaution that will greatly improve your ability to 'sense' 'killing intent'.

...at least it's indirectly about precaution then (I guess). I thought OP meant noticing things that you usually wouldn't as part of some special 6th sense or something.
Mar 11, 2009 1:02 PM

Mar 2008
Well i suppose a certain look in someones expression can freak you out and you get the feeling they want to hurt you. but ive never seen it personally in person
Mar 11, 2009 1:30 PM

Aug 2008
pdf4 said:

This was Assassin vs Saber or Archer on the stairs to the Ryudou Temple in the fate route or UBW route right? Well in real life, I don't think someone would be able to tell when a servant is about to use their noble phantasm :), obviously only other servants could. Evenly/closely matched servants (and at that point they were, with saber's weak magical energy and archer being pretty closely matched period) fighting doesn't accomplish anything until they employ their noble phantasms.

Anyways, in real life if you were fighting somebody, with weapons that could actually kill, the killing intent would already be strong enough to not want to risk anything, much less having to look for specific strikes.
akai_ribbonMar 11, 2009 1:33 PM
Mar 11, 2009 1:46 PM

Dec 2007
pdf4 said:

So this Killing Intent is there in fantasy. In real life it would be:
-I felt myself in extreme danger, what if the person behind me would slash me?
-I missed, huh? It must have been my mistake in making this situation too suspicious, or it must have been your cleverness in jumping back instantly""

Ah yes, and answering to this situation...

Personally, I am quite aware of my surroundings. If something minimally dangerous appears I immediatly find out all the situations, escape routes and how fast will I get to my scalpel (praise medicine courses) Other people may not be this alert but, generally, your senses can give you the info. You may choose to ignore it or not. I rarely ignore it and that's why I wasn't raped yet.

Now, the difference from fantasy to reality is none than the wording. Nothing mysterious will tell you that up that tower someone with a sniper is going to aim at you. However you will feel the bullet - imminent danger - and if your reflexes are above the normal you will be able to dodge. You would certainly be able to dodge if this was a water balloon. The reason why many people get hit by water balloons is that they ignore the sensitive information of "projectile coming from behind" that your cells are screaming. And also because our usual reflexes are kind of slow.
Mar 11, 2009 2:41 PM

Jun 2008
When anime characters say "I can feel a killing intent x meters away", it is moot irl. lol.
ladyxzeus said:

Now, the difference from fantasy to reality is none than the wording. Nothing mysterious will tell you that up that tower someone with a sniper is going to aim at you. However you will feel the bullet - imminent danger - and if your reflexes are above the normal you will be able to dodge. You would certainly be able to dodge if this was a water balloon. The reason why many people get hit by water balloons is that they ignore the sensitive information of "projectile coming from behind" that your cells are screaming. And also because our usual reflexes are kind of slow.

I doubt anyone would sense a sniper was going to shoot them unless they knew before hand that there's a potential that snipers would be coming after them. An average guy walking down the street going to work; who has done nothing wrong as far as he knew that someone will shoot him? I doubt he would "sense" it coming. Your reflex has to be really abnormal to even think of "dodging" a bullet. No, I doubt the nervous system has the ability to "sense" a bullet before impact and can help you impulsively to dodge it within that set time period.
Mar 11, 2009 2:56 PM

May 2008
I have to agree with Tachii on that one. I mean, a bullet can travel really fast. Since it's a sniper rifle we're talking about, the bullet will most likely exceed MACH 3. There is no way your body can sense the bullet, since not even the sound of the shot would have reached you before the bullet.

On another note, you people are too cautious. I have good reflexes and am generally aware of my environment, but am never really careful to observe the people around me or to locate potential escape routes and weapons. I am no Jason Bourne. (I guess I can give ladxzeus the benefit of the doubt; I myself am hardly a potential rape target.)
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Mar 11, 2009 3:23 PM

Dec 2007
Yes, that's why I gave the water balloon example (a bit slower). Unless you have powers withing the matrix you can sense the bullet but when the synapse tells you "dodge it plz" you're already dead. xD

Also, I learned these extreme measures through reading self-defense books for teen girls.
Mar 11, 2009 3:59 PM

Jul 2008
ladyxzeus said:
self-defense books for teen girls.

They had a section on snipers in that book? Bad ass.
Mar 11, 2009 4:09 PM

Oct 2008
The murderous intent frequently mentioned in animes are definitely not the same thing as people feeling paranoid. However, it is not uncommon that people would mix the two and call it the same thing. The truth is that murderous intent should not be felt by most people, considering the fact that the ones who had the ability to feel it in animes were somewhat supernatural or perhaps, they weren't really humans to begin with. The least to say, that's what the murderous intent in animes were about. This also means that "murderous intent" does not exist in the real life.
Mar 11, 2009 4:12 PM

Dec 2007
Vagabond said:
ladyxzeus said:

Nope, but they had defense techniques with umbrellas. Bad asser than snipers.
Mar 11, 2009 4:18 PM

Jul 2008
ladyxzeus said:
Vagabond said:
ladyxzeus said:
Nope, but they had defense techniques with umbrellas. Bad asser than snipers.
Mar 11, 2009 4:22 PM

Oct 2008
My spidey senses are tingling....
Mar 11, 2009 4:41 PM

Feb 2005
As have been said, you would never be able to sense a sniper from somewhere on the rooftops.
But naturally you would be able to feel, in a way, hostility from someone, but this is based on their expressed behaviour, not some sort of psychic power. You see the determination, anger or hatred in the eyes of someone you've engaged in a fight, or the loathing stare of someone who clearly hates you.
But if someone is good at masquerades, they might be able to have a nice chat with you and then strangle you the moment you turned your back without you ever noticing anything odd.

As for having a "feeling of danger", these have all sorts of reasons behind them. If you're skiing and something suddenly goes wrong, you might even feel the fear before you're aware of your current predicament, simply because the sensory information is relayed to your fear-processing center (Amygdala or Hippocampus I believe) faster than you become cognitively aware of it, allowing your body to initiate the "fight or flight" procedure some potentially precious seconds faster.
But this applies only when you perceive sensory information about the threat, you could never possibly detect the danger of a hidden mine or the malice of some random chap on the street unless he looked the part.

And then again, feeling of danger in potentially life threatening situations can be turned off if you're used to them or know there's really nothing to fear. I never felt fear at the shooting range or when I had live mortar shells fired at me, because I knew the situation was highly controlled (and even the most unpredictable of my fellow soldiers were not nearly stupid enough to accidentally a whole magazine into someone.)
Mar 11, 2009 5:01 PM
Jul 2007
Well, from a biological perspective, "killing intent" can understandably exist.

From the electricity that goes through someones brain and nervous system, to the increase in body heat and heartbeat from readying up muscles to attack someone, to an increase or decrease in certain pheremones, there's a number of reasons why it would be possible for one person to feel another's potential attack.
Mar 11, 2009 5:04 PM

May 2008
Baman said:
(and even the most unpredictable of my fellow soldiers were not nearly stupid enough to accidentally a whole magazine into someone.)

That one, you can never be too sure.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Mar 11, 2009 5:06 PM

Jan 2008
gd is full of killing intent, can't you feel it ppl?
:v
Mar 11, 2009 5:07 PM

Jun 2008
accela said:

From the electricity that goes through someones brain and nervous system, to the increase in body heat and heartbeat from readying up muscles to attack someone, to an increase or decrease in certain pheremones, there's a number of reasons why it would be possible for one person to feel another's potential attack.
Through observed behaviours, yes. And by that I mean that you have met the person for quite a while to at least understand him a bit. But from a long and ridiculous range or someone that you never met before? I doubt it.
Mar 11, 2009 5:19 PM

Apr 2008
I get that feeling alot whenever my Mom looks at me when were out in public and I do something really stupid and humiliating. ^^
It's not a nice feeling.

Mar 11, 2009 7:57 PM
Dec 2008
Tachii said:
accela said:

Through observed behaviours, yes. And by that I mean that you have met the person for quite a while to at least understand him a bit. But from a long and ridiculous range or someone that you never met before? I doubt it.

I dunno, you've never had that feeling where you know something is gonna happen out nowhere, and then it actually does?
Mar 12, 2009 2:25 AM

Aug 2008
WAT TEH FUK QUESTION R U TRYING 2 ASK.
IF A CRAZY PERSON IN RL SAYS
"OHHHHHHH I FEEEL LYKE SOME GREEN FACED FUCK COMING TO KILL ME" R U GONNA BELIEVE HIM?
TEH CRAZY PERSON EXISTS IN RL
HES JUS CRAZY
BUT HE STILL EXISTS IN RL
R U GONNA BELIEVE HIM?
ooO

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.
Mar 12, 2009 10:47 AM
Jun 2008

accela said:

CooooL!!
Mar 12, 2009 10:51 AM

Mar 2008
its a natural feeling to have its a animal instinct that protects you.
Mar 12, 2009 1:54 PM

May 2008
hikky said:
I actually always hated when they used "killing intent" for 殺気(sakki) in subs for some reason. I think it's a sort of annoying way of saying it. "Malice" or something would make for a much less ugly translation.

Just the sort of post I was hoping to find in this thread.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 12, 2009 2:02 PM

Jun 2008
Yuruku said:

I dunno, you've never had that feeling where you know something is gonna happen out nowhere, and then it actually does?
I don't think so... but my memory fades fairly quickly.
Mar 12, 2009 4:03 PM

Apr 2007
I'm to much of an optimist and naief person to get this "killing intent" feeling.
living in an enviorment where I can trust alot of people without beeing suspisious or scared of their way of thought.

however in some cases when im bored my mind tends to drift off into random events. and one of em could be that my parrents or friends try to kill me.

but then I break that tought and I'm like..."wha? why'd my mind come up with that scenario?" I tend not to think about it afterwards not realy something I get paranoid over. my tought patern just has a mind of its own lol.

Mar 12, 2009 4:16 PM

Dec 2008
It does and can happen, but usually only if your in a great state of paranoia, or just a bit to superstitous about something.
Mar 12, 2009 5:11 PM

Feb 2005
Agito_Uchiha said:
It does and can happen, but usually only if your in a great state of paranoia, or just a bit to superstitous about something.
Aye. And unless you're actually seeing someone displaying hostile intent against you, it is all in your mind.
Mar 12, 2009 7:45 PM

Feb 2009
People admire my killing intent all the time.

Mar 12, 2009 7:59 PM
Apr 2008
Killing intent is very real. I use my ability to sense killing intent on the way to school to dodge snipers all the time. Being a hated, yet handsome rich genius is tough.
Mar 12, 2009 8:01 PM

Jul 2008
Zetsubou1117 said:
Killing intent is very real. I use my ability to sense killing intent on the way to school to dodge snipers all the time. Being a well known trap is tough.

Fixed
Mar 12, 2009 8:02 PM
Apr 2008
Vagabond said:
Zetsubou1117 said:
Killing intent is very real. I use my ability to sense killing intent on the way to school to dodge snipers all the time. Being a well known trap is tough.

Fixed
You're just jealous.
Sep 26, 2014 1:55 PM
Jan 2014
I know this is an old post but I just saw it and was like why not
(This is a copy of a yahoo answer I gave out)
(Hunter x Hunter 2011 anime episde ~125 spoiler)
Umm, yes and no.
You can't sense a killer intent from like 50 miles away from the bottom of the mountain all the way to the top and it's not an aura that shines like everyone felt Killua's brother, but yes.
If you're fighting with someone that REALLY HATES you and wants you plain dead or REALLY wants to hurt you, then yes.
Sometimes you're just scared of them, get chills, feel that they will come out you with all they got from their emotions or from their actions.
I've knew people that I honestly looked down upon in strength standards since I'm more than twice their size and body mass but when we got into a real fight which we both left from really wounded (almost lost my eye's vision) I was in the middle of the fight quite scared, because I have sort of another personality that turns me into a berserker but I wasn't into it because I don't really wanna hurt him and Unconsciously weaken my attack or move them from vital body points before impact but he came at me with everything so I got a bit scared for while I got chills all I was thinking was thank God they pulled me away from him (He's TINY) but he absolutely didn't feel my punches (I was delivering weak ones to non-vital spots) but he hit my nose, eyes, temple.
I left with my eyes bleeding (not from the outside ooh no my eyeballs were bleeding! intensely thankfully I noticed in time and went to the hospital and got it fixed).
Also when I go into my personality that turns me into a berserker I can see it in their face that they're afraid of me even though some are as strong as me or were making fun of me thinking they're stronger.
Bottom line yes, but in specific times
Jun 24, 2017 2:38 AM
Dec 2010
From what I can tell I'd say killing intent or murderous intent is real in a sence. Alot of the commenters talk about the danger sence which one would feel from the killing intent. This I feel quite often actually but not from someone intending to kill me but just my fight or flight instincts kicking in randomly due to my unnaturally high adrenaline levels.
Killing intent in the sence of the feeling someone gives off when there planning on killing someone in my opinion is partually true and partially made up. Someone being able to summon up killing intent is a bit farfetched but when someone is truly angery most people can instinctively tell. Killing intent goes beyond that and in a sence gives people that creepie skin crawling feeling that makes you just want to run for the hills. Really i feel its probably different for everyone though.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.