Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Witchcraft Works
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Not bad, I loved the style of it so far along with the artwork. Ayaka is obviously like the idol of the school. Action so far is alright I guess. JC Staff is animating this so some of the artwork looked familiar.

Ha, look @ all the jealous kids at the school. Can't be helped I guess. But yeah, this was a decent start imo, looking forward for more! That ED song is also adorable. :3. The OP song is okay I guess, kinda liked some of the characters shown especially with the students/witches transferring in at the end.

First episode adapted the first 2 chapters so looking forward to see how the pacing goes. I liked the episode though.

Stark700Dec 30, 2013 3:22 PM
Dec 30, 2013 7:01 PM

Feb 2013
~Wow, the show got premiered today. (^▽^)/
I can't get how Kagari can just ignore that mob that follows her always~
NotAerylDec 30, 2013 7:05 PM
Dec 30, 2013 7:37 PM
Oct 2012
While one should not judge a series from one episode, I really cannot see how this show will prove to be worth anything.

Typical harem setting. Average boring guy has most popular girl in the school defending him. Oh, of course she is a witch, and uses her magic to accomplish this, fighting off other female witches (one in this episode, five implied by the ending) to protect him. Of course we already know that these other witches, upon defeat, will fall in love with the MC despite him not really doing anything to deserve this.

And it isn't like a harem comic will automatically turn me off (though most do); ToLoveRu is so well drawn, and has such interesting characters that one can appreciate it, however this show doesn't have these benefits. Of course the main MC female has huge breasts, but the animation is so inferior that far from being attractive, all one can think when seeing them is: "god, the animators really are trying to stoke the moe feeling".

The only positive thing I can say about this animation is that yesterday I was tempted to buy the manga because I like magical themes (long boring story behind this), but upon seeing this first episode, this desire has been quenched. This show doesn't deserve any interest; thank you for saving me 30 bucks.

First out of the gate for this cour, first to be dropped (though I always watch 3 episodes no matter how what I think, but I really can't see this series saving itself).
Dec 30, 2013 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
I like my boring typical harems.. they have big boobs :)
Dec 30, 2013 10:11 PM

Oct 2010
I absolutely loved the ending song, the chibi head bobbing was hilarious!
Dec 31, 2013 6:19 AM

Sep 2009
I saw it raw so I did not understand much of what has been said.
But, I do not like it when some protagonists are attacked in a school and the day after they decide to friggin go back to the school as if nothing happened.
Maybe they gave an explanation about it ... but, just saying that I don't like illogical stuff.
Dec 31, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
Aside from this I liked both the op & ed. So far I like it even though it has a typical harem setting. For some reason it just seemed to catch my eye.

Mod Edit: Anime Series Episode Discussion Rules: 5. Do not ask when subs/raws will be released, or where to download/watch an episode.
LunaJan 1, 2014 6:13 AM
"A cruel world is not without it's beauty, and many times a select few find it by mistake. Only then do those select few see the world for what it is... A disastrous masterpiece." ~ 7thVoid

"Hates a river that only flows down." ~ 7thVoid
Jan 1, 2014 7:58 AM

May 2013
Let me dispel this misconception here and now, this is NOT a harem series. I have nothing against harems, but this is NOT such a series. Yep, you will see hordes of witches and they are VERY interested in our male lead, but it is NOT a romantic interest.

As for him returning to school after being attacked, it is not illogical, it is just such a mind boggling situation he has yet to wrap his head around it and in the mean time it makes sense he continues his daily routine since he is unharmed (it would only make sense to not go to school if he had bruises or cuts).
Jan 1, 2014 8:11 AM
Jan 2011
I'm guess that those Ivory Quintet Tower Witches are gonna say that they want the guy's "White Stuff."
Jan 1, 2014 10:25 AM
Feb 2012
I can't stop laughing everytime they overly do the "glowing flowery" parts multiple time, but the fighting were cool =)
Jan 1, 2014 11:27 AM

May 2013
This is a funny show. I am liking this so far. Love that ED too lol. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 1, 2014 12:22 PM

Aug 2010
Hmmm...this was pretty weird. Not bad though.

Had some nicely animated parts. Esp the Fire and some of the fights. lol at the rabbits XD

Kagari amazes me. I wonder if she'll ever show some dere? MC is ur average type. His design looks nice though.

Lol'd so much at the Quintuple student transfer XDXDXD

Best thing about this series by miles is the ED. So catchy :D
Seems like I found myself the Maware of the season XD
Jan 1, 2014 12:40 PM

Jul 2013
yup, not for me, dropped
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Jan 1, 2014 12:45 PM

Jul 2013
Nice first episode! It was better than I thought it would be.

The OP and ED were both good in my opinion.

Weak male lead, nothing new, but I've never really had a problem with it.

I wonder if this will be a harem? I don't mind harems, but I think this would be better if the romance was only between Hanoka and Ayaka.

Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 1, 2014 12:50 PM

May 2011
I really really wish that the kind of detail seen in the manga was applied to the anime, but I suppose that would just be too lovely to behold. xD Still, I found the first episode to be enjoyable. I had some laughs with the way Takamiya reacted to everything.
Jan 1, 2014 12:54 PM

May 2013
Starting to like this already, if Takamiya is Kagari's master, is he some super powerful wizard or witch who had their memory erased?
Anyways, the ending was pretty funny c:
Jan 1, 2014 1:00 PM

May 2010
after 10 minutes i already have enough of this lame and plain boring male MC!
the female MC isnt better either with 2 blown up balloons under her shirt.

im hating this show already. sooo much cliche it makes me wanna puke...ugh

not worth my time. dropped 1/5
KerozinnJan 1, 2014 1:07 PM
Jan 1, 2014 1:29 PM

May 2013
Weird...

I love the ED :/ its weird too

Isn't the Main Female to big or Tall? and the boobs are very big
MercuriJan 1, 2014 1:59 PM
Jan 1, 2014 1:34 PM

Apr 2012
another good anime this season the new year started of good
Jan 1, 2014 1:49 PM

Aug 2012
Lol all those harem comments, its not a harem anime.

They kinda went a bit fast, but still good as the manga so far.
I hope they can keep it that way.
Jan 1, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 2013
Her jealous followers and the stupid bullying they did got extremely annoying within a matter of seconds (what the fuck was with the Obama guy?). I really hope they get past that quickly and don't keep that up. I also dislike both protagonists: the guy gets angry for being saved? and the girl's design is strange and her personality is boring. Also, how did that class have room for 5 new students?
Jan 1, 2014 2:18 PM

Feb 2012
I was surprising happy with the first episode. Not sure at all where this will be going besides female MC protecting male MC against a bunch of people/monsters, which I'm assuming are the transfer students, but we'll see.
Wind_SrJan 1, 2014 2:26 PM
“News travels fast in places where nothing much ever happens.” ― Charles Bukowski
Jan 1, 2014 2:18 PM

Jan 2013
I get a Infinite Stratos feel to this Anime.
Jan 1, 2014 2:34 PM

Jan 2013
Cool Anime love the opening and not bad i like it and i read the manga i like it too

saiuchiha012Jan 1, 2014 2:37 PM
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Jan 1, 2014 2:43 PM

Jun 2011
I'm so glad that I finally get to see one of my top five animated.
My expectations are meet (maybe because I'm a fan) however it's only the beginning and it was beautiful so far.
I really love the ED, the OP was good to just not as catchy and memorable as its ED.
orbbieJan 1, 2014 2:47 PM
Jan 1, 2014 2:44 PM

Apr 2010
I'll be keeping an eye out for this series, wondering if it'll be good.
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Jan 1, 2014 3:07 PM

Dec 2009
An alright start to the series. Will keep an eye in hope that it picks up.
Jan 1, 2014 3:10 PM

May 2013
Kerozinn said:

Maybe you are confusing cliche with trope. Because albeit this series has some easily recognizable tropes, I bet you cannot name another series like this one, therefore it is far from a cliche anime. I suppose you are biased against well endowed females that are neither pushovers nor dumb . At least I cant remember an anime where the female lead is the strong silent type.
Jan 1, 2014 3:22 PM

May 2013
Well all things were fine until those bunnies suddenly appeared.......
Jan 1, 2014 3:30 PM

May 2010
mangamuscle said:
Kerozinn said:

Maybe you are confusing cliche with trope. Because albeit this series has some easily recognizable tropes, I bet you cannot name another series like this one, therefore it is far from a cliche anime. I suppose you are biased against well endowed females that are neither pushovers nor dumb . At least I cant remember an anime where the female lead is the strong silent type.

i mean what i say.
wobbly boobs is not what i am looking for in anime. if thats the case for you..thats fine.

the bold part: watch more anime.
Jan 1, 2014 3:39 PM

Oct 2011
Interesting first episode. According to the Opening song, he becomes a Witch too?? Maybe a Wizard. Hope to find out.
Jan 1, 2014 3:44 PM

Aug 2013
Kerozinn said:
mangamuscle said:
Kerozinn said:

i mean what i say.
wobbly boobs is not what i am looking for in anime. if thats the case for you..thats fine.

Maybe before u say thats you should just set a example of anime with similar female quiet e strong MC. On the side note, all animes have cliche parts don't try be a intelectual here its just hypocrisy says that animes don't have. Its just some have less, some have more, is how then industry works and SELLs.
Jan 1, 2014 3:49 PM

Nov 2011
Kerozinn said:
mangamuscle said:
Kerozinn said:

i mean what i say.

Did you even watch the PV or read the synopsis? What exactly were you expecting in the first place?

Fyi:
Takamiya Honoka is a regular student whose only problem seems to be that he sits next to Kagari Ayaka, the school's #1 beauty.

Obviously, she would have some attractive features...
Not saying I'm liking either of the two protagonists but you should of at least expected this.
Stark700Jan 1, 2014 3:58 PM
Jan 1, 2014 4:06 PM

Mar 2013
Love the manga but this just didn't click with me it just doesn't feel right, and the OST was awful.

So 3/5 for the frist episode.

Jan 1, 2014 4:21 PM

Jul 2012
This was a better first episode than I thought it would be. I somewhat enjoy the male MC from what did in this episode (e.g. he was not to whiny). I really enjoyed one of the male MC's lines however, "their glances it hurts" it made laugh really hard (harder than I should have). The opening I believe has a little bit of CGI in it; I'm sure I saw it in there. Looking forward to the next episode.

Great first episode!!!
Jan 1, 2014 4:28 PM

Nov 2012
Not so bad.

LOL everytime she called him princess.
Jan 1, 2014 4:28 PM

May 2013
Kerozinn said:
mangamuscle said:

i mean what i say.

There are many things I do not actively seek while watching animes (i.e. lolis or panties) but I do not let those things prevent me from enjoying a nice piece of animation if they are not excesive. If the boobs were given excessive close ups at every scene I would understand your chagrin; my hypothesis is that the boobs indeed had the desired effect on you, they are supposed to be intimidating, which is part of our female lead traits.

After more than two decades of watching animes (call me lazy if I have not written all the anime I have seen in my MAL profile, it is that much work for no real reward, I am beyond bragging about it) it brings a smile to my face reading such petulant words. Still waiting to hear what cliches you saw in this episode.
Jan 1, 2014 4:30 PM

Jul 2013
That was an okay start, I like the OST for this show, although I'm not too fond of the OP and ED, but the concept of this show so far seems interesting, although I do wonder why Kagari has to protect the MC, and I wonder what those other witches that transferred in want.
Jan 1, 2014 4:37 PM

Sep 2013
So many harem comments... the only thing i notices that maybe some what harem like are girls following/worshiping/love kagari, so it a reverse x 2 harem?

Nice to see that they are not off if different direction from the manga, a little fast but still good.

Oh, and Obama..... "The best is yet to come." I laughed so hard that I almost fell off my chair.
bnguyen14Jan 1, 2014 4:53 PM
Jan 1, 2014 4:42 PM

Sep 2008
Asfaria said:
Her jealous followers and the stupid bullying they did got extremely annoying within a matter of seconds (what the fuck was with the Obama guy?).

That is still lingering with me after watching, is his name obama or was he pretending to be obama or is he the class president obama or???

anyways, yes i agree with the followers part, i don't even understand their obsession with her, just cuz she's supposed to be real pretty?? Overall, this episode was alright, I'm interested, so i will continue watching. I enjoyed seeing an army of rabbits being blown up, i can dig that. The ending song is also surprisingly catchy.
Jan 1, 2014 4:43 PM

Aug 2011
Asfaria said:
Her jealous followers and the stupid bullying they did got extremely annoying within a matter of seconds (what the fuck was with the Obama guy?). I really hope they get past that quickly and don't keep that up. I also dislike both protagonists: the guy gets angry for being saved? and the girl's design is strange and her personality is boring. Also, how did that class have room for 5 new students?

I'm fairly sure that Takamiya (was that his name?) wasn't mad at the fact that he was saved, but frustrated/angry as to why Kagari would risk herself to protect him, out of all people.

Besides that I generally agree with your opinion, however, I don't completely dislike the two protagonists. They have an interesting relationship so far. It'd be great if the anime doesn't go harem route so they can develop that relationship but with the female to male ratio I don't think I'm going to get what I want; but only time can tell.

Despite everything I still ended up enjoying this episode. I like the ED, however, I can't say the same really for the OP.
Jan 1, 2014 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
Am I the only one that always get a hipster-like feeling when I see a manga that I've been reading get made into an anime?...
" I've been reading that manga, before it was mainstream an anime!"

It's pretty unusual and interesting to have a role reversal of the damsel-in-distress with the hero heroine. Still pretty cliched to have the antagonist come in at the end as a transfer student though...not that I'm complaining, because there are 5 of them that seem to be interesting in their own right.

Edit:
mangamuscle said:
Let me dispel this misconception here and now, this is NOT a harem series. ...
I agree with you here. You can look anywhere that has an official description listing genres of this (excluding ones anyone can change at will, like Wikipedia), and it will not list harem. If it does, then it must be because some jackass that can't watch a show with a lot of girls; without trying to ship them with the male main character. They're no better than closet-fujoshi.
Estoy_GordoJan 1, 2014 6:12 PM
Jan 1, 2014 5:09 PM

Jul 2013
HAHAHAHA! Omg, those stereotypical witch clothing and those robot knight bunnies xD!!! This show a looks likes it's going to be a lot more fun then serious, and I have no problems with that. Dat ending song x3!!
Jan 1, 2014 5:10 PM

May 2013
4kicks said:
It's pretty unusual and interesting to have a role reversal of the damsel-in-distress with the hero heroine. Still pretty cliched to have the antagonist come in at the end as a transfer student though...not that I'm complaining, because there are 5 of them that seem to be interesting in their own right.

What do you mean THE antagonist? Oh, you mean the cannon fodder!
Jan 1, 2014 5:13 PM

Oct 2013
neonBdragon said:
The opening I believe has a little bit of CGI in it; I'm sure I saw it in there. Looking forward to the next episode.

Great first episode!!!

yeah, just a little, not as if it were a real deal
Jan 1, 2014 5:35 PM

Apr 2011
Honestly, why the F do other people thinks this is a harem?

*facepalm*

First episode is really good. I'm looking forward for more.
Jan 1, 2014 5:37 PM

Jan 2008
mangamuscle said:
4kicks said:

What do you mean THE antagonist? Oh, you mean the cannon fodder!

No. I mean the antagonist. One of many, as evidenced by the opening, and the ending of the episode. You seem to have a different definition of "antagonist", as well as "cannon fodder" than from the dictionary. The giant armored rabbits would be the ones considered cannon fodder. The Tower Witches are antagonists.
Jan 1, 2014 6:06 PM

May 2013
4kicks said:
No. I mean the antagonist. One of many, as evidenced by the opening, and the ending of the episode. You seem to have a different definition of "antagonist", as well as "cannon fodder" than from the dictionary. The giant armored rabbits would be the ones considered cannon fodder. The Tower Witches are antagonists.

No, those would be nameless critters™, like the goblins you kill in most MMORPG or the red shirts in the Star Trek TV series :D
Jan 1, 2014 6:10 PM
Jul 2013
I did not see an anime witch long ago, and this series was interesting, just for the Witch Llamas. The music for the series is good, most notably in the ED, although this is rare.

Poor Takamiya, make him bulling at school:
http://i42.tinypic.com/160wggy.png

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mpwe10.png
Jan 1, 2014 6:12 PM

Aug 2013
For the people thinking about dropping it because it's a harem anime, don't because it's not a harem anime. For anyone thinking about dropping it because of the male MC being weak, don't because he is a very interesting character that is very useful.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

56 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 11:00 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

49 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 10:47 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2014

84 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2014

88 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 24, 6:15 AM

Poll: » Witch Craft Works Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

118 by RGreatDanton »»
Jan 23, 12:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.