Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 12, 2010 12:02 AM

May 2009
Loved the ending. From the beginning Kanta said he despised helping the weak and he liked how the government only gave the people the bare minimum. And he stuck to that to the end. It's not like he joined the "bad guys" the government really wasn't all that bad in this anime.

Also, I thought it was funny how Junko betrayed him over and over, but was the only one that stuck with him at the end.

I'm giving it a 10, I haven't seen many series that successfully give you something other than the righteous "knight in shining armor" type (e.g. Stryker.) And instead, give them some realistic ideals.

Latest Review
Kino's Journey
Oct 28, 2010 9:42 PM

Jan 2010
show started off terrible to me. If finished out pretty good I only give it a 6/10 overall but It thoughouly amused me the whole way through after the 1st 2 episodes.
A man who knows nothing and says something IS the dumbest person alive. A man who knows something and says nothing could possibly be the smartest person in the world -Unknown

Nov 26, 2010 11:21 PM

Jun 2009
what the heck? it ended the same way Black Cat did o.O

Are you the bloody applause monkey? Keep your sh*t comments to yourself or go troll on 4chan.
Dec 2, 2010 11:46 AM

Dec 2008
found it kinda annoying that it ended with this, wanted to at least to know who won the war at the end, and if he really died, i mean, he also did make it out of the last huge explotion in ep 21.
Feb 6, 2011 2:31 AM

Oct 2009
Great show show from the beginning to the end! But i wish it was longer too. Well i actually liked the ending, Kanta has always been a anti-hero it stayed true to his character and he gets to stay with Junko, finally! XD
And Kosuna grew stronger and all the characters did their part.

8/10~
Mar 8, 2011 9:18 PM
May 2008
I'm conflicted.

I'm glad they didn't turn it into a good vs evil fight. Though mysteriously coming back from the dead annoys me. Taiko doesn't make a good main character she has the body of a 6 year old and the maturity of a 9 year old despite supposedly being 14. I love that they don't try and make Kanta some lame hero who fights for justice, but at the same time they didn't really set up his character as someone who would burn a family alive killing 3 children(else why not shoot taiko after she stole his bag in the desert).

They should have either made the ending lighter or the beginning darker
Apr 17, 2011 2:21 PM

May 2009
I think Kosuna should have killed Junko strait-up, double-tap to the head, followed by d-punk at their last confrontation. Then she should have taken over being the demon of the desert, kind of like "keep what you kill" If you follow the Riddik anthology. Allot of people dislike her character but if that had happened it would have made the series for me.

Kasuna... the kanto desert's #1 power babe!
Jun 3, 2011 5:23 AM

Aug 2009
Good show, but the overall pacing was terrible..

It seemed like the show should have been 3 full 6 month (24-26 eps each) seasons, and that the 3rd season got cut completely, while 3 months in they decided to cut the second half of the 1st season in half, while cramming the entire 2nd season into the other half, and again, cutting the 3rd season completely.

It's all just a fun and leisurely stroll, and then half way it's speed it up we've got to go, and then blam blam blam hurry hurry rush rush done!

I'm not normally one to complain about loose ends, as I actually enjoy filling in the blanks, but damn dudes... way too much unexplained stuff leading up to and following the end...

Started as a 9, could've been a 10, but dropped to a 7... still good, but not great and no masterpiece.
Jul 26, 2011 9:27 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Overall I enjoyed this series. it was just plain funny. I honestly could not stop watching. But, like everyone else has said, the ending was a bit of a let down. True that Punk stayed true to his character, but it was still a bit sad. I did, however, like how Punk and Junko were partners at the end. That was nice. Junko is so damn hot. Oh, and fuck Kasuna. Little bitch.

Desert Punk is truly a one of a kind character. He isn't the cliched hero that almost every series had. i think that's what really made the show stand out. A great series. i recommend to anyone who like funny, low-brow comedy, and a bit of ecchi :3

Once again, Junko is hot as hell :D
Jan 15, 2012 12:31 PM
Jan 2012
To tell you the truth i liked the ending.
I liked it how they hint the answers to every possibble questions.

Kosuna becoming the second Sunabozou was no suprise,when Mitsuru screwed up, he eventually screwed up the same things that she did.(and she beat him instead of"oh,i used to be like him,so i will let this go now" means she is starting to resemble his master, Kanta.)

Kanta survives EVERYTHING,let it be explosions, bullets or huge boobs.(just for the joke).this is his nature,Toughen by the desert, he can handle every situation coming up, so its inevitable that he always survives.(you probably figured this out,dont you?)

My idea of "why is Junko partner of Kanta" question is that Junko too saw that its more rewarding to be on that side.(with the "to be on that side", i mean the side of the government,not Kanta, because all she cares is money,[like Kanta]so she joined that side.)

With that said, i hope i answered some questions that popped out of your minds.
I'ts only a matter of how good a person can connect the dots.Nothing special.
(I, Truthly does not want to offend anybody with the comment adove comment.)
HantaboyJan 15, 2012 12:35 PM
Jan 30, 2012 8:41 PM

Jul 2008
Dislike the ending, needs closure.
Feb 1, 2012 6:21 PM

Jun 2009
Actually there's a scene before Kanta faked his death (when Junko seducing him, but Kanta ignoring her). that scene really a big hint for me that actually Junko gonna help him in the end.
Feb 6, 2012 9:18 PM

May 2009
hokitup said:
WTF WAS THAT?

Very good question... And why is the manga only licensed in French? :S
May 9, 2012 2:22 PM
May 2012
Alright, I know I'm late to the party. I usually am. But I just finished watching this series in the past two days on netlfix. Ending was mediocre at best, but that's been said. So, I don't really have many questions at all really. Even though it ended as it did I still got most of the answers I need, there's more I want but meh, this isn't the desert, u can't get what u want all the time. All I really want to know is if there will be more eps, and if anyone understood the french writing at the end? I looked it up and I believe it says 'the desert continue until government'. Rough translation. Not really sure what that means, I looked into the writing and can't really seem to find anything about it. If any one has any idea what it means id love to hear it. The french was 'le desert continue jusquan govt.' Not sure why continue is in english or govt. But I do know that jusquan isn't a word. The proper spelling is jusqua, that's where the until came in (obviously). I just want to know what's up with that. And I suppose some of the previously asked questions, where'd he get the bots? What's up with him and junko now? What happens to mitz and kosuna? Next season or not? When he did decide to change sides and find out what's up and how and didn't that first guardian bot practically kill him in the hideout and how'd he come to be their leader? And blah blah wall of text blah
May 31, 2012 1:11 AM

Jan 2012
One hell of an anime??? Yes, indeed.
May 31, 2012 1:25 AM

Jun 2007
I didn't like the direction the show went in general. Would have enjoyed a less perverse and more serious character showing the more harsh side of life and bounty hunting in the desert.

They had a chance to make a good show but botched it with all the ecchi/comedy elements.
Jun 13, 2012 2:35 PM
Jun 2012
it was kind of funny for me, but when desert punk "died" it took a plunge to hell, then the pink high pitched version of desert punk came to be...with lame episodes and a sucky hulk boy apprentice. good fight? ha! they tricked him, kidnapped him and treated him like dirt which is kinda normal...that goody-goody branch off thing killed it. 1 out of 5. liked it only because of desert punk himself without him it really sucked.
Jun 14, 2012 2:46 PM

Dec 2011
Since we're bumping this I just finished the series, loved it 10/10. I really liked that kanta was just so selfish and perverted all the way until the end. I don't quite understand why people are left so confused at the ending, seems pretty straightforward to me.

When Kanta was recovering in the room with Junko he makes a deal with her to team up with the government, this is very much alluded too when we see her start flirting with him all happy-like - I mean come on guys we know Junko is up to something when those boobs start bouncing!

So basically he gets the government position and robots through his reputation and Junko's connections. In the end everyone survived because of his student's skill pretty much, and that's not such a terrible thing. I especially liked the exchange at the end, very much believe that if the story continued there would be some serious fighting between Kanta and the little shit.

In the end Kanta still wins as he's the one with the robot army, the vixen (who may or may not give up the coochie, but will most definitely betray him some day), oasis connections, and he will just gain prestige fighting the war with the other oasis. He will do whatever the fuck he can to survive, and squeeze boobs!

So what more do we really need? Let your own interpretation guide you. All in all, amazing series, with a fitting ending. Good pure Nihilism at it's best!
LayedBackJun 14, 2012 2:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2012 8:01 AM
Dec 2010
First off, I don't know that it can be said that Punk betrayed them, since he was coerced into joining their rebellion to begin with. We he agrees, he basically says "If I say no, you guys will kill me" and the rebel leaders give a toothy grin and are like "yeah, you're right." So, is once bound to an agreement that was made under duress? What they did is significantly worse that some of the stuff Punk did, like making Stryker agree to pay something like 1,000,000y for some water, because Punk didn't put him in the situation to begin with. The rebels lured him into their base under false pretenses, and then used that to force him to "join" them.

It also occurs to me that one could make an argument that Punk's decision to join with the government was also better for the people of the desert. It was demonstrated that the old man, whatever his name was, was more using the rebellion to take over himself, and less interested in the plight of the people. So, what's better/worse for the average people of the desert?

1. Keep the existing self-serving government in power.
-or-
2. Fight a war and install a new self-serving government.

Rebellions seem noble, almost by default, but usually they just end up killing a lot of people to little effect. That isn't to say they aren't needed on occasion, but they need to know the stakes. What are we gaining? What are we losing? In this case, the answers are likely "not much" and "a lot", respectively. Of course, I don't know if any of that factored into Punk's thinking. Though, it may have made it a little easier, based upon his little speech about the old guy being shady when he got to the lab. I doubt it though.

What it all comes down to though, I think, is that there is no "right side" in this case. Everyone is a bastard and they all fuck each other over for one reason or another.
Grim0013Jul 3, 2012 8:12 AM
Jul 19, 2012 9:31 PM

Nov 2008
Yeah, not that big of a fan of the ending, and is just me? Or did that song at beginning of the episode (the one from the end credits in the second half of the series) just not fit at all with the series? Desert Punk is not a teary-eyed, depressing anime. It doesn't take itself that seriously and that song was WAY too depressing for this series. Really odd choice.

Oct 19, 2012 10:35 AM

Oct 2012
shadylookin said:
I'm conflicted.

I love that they don't try and make Kanta some lame hero who fights for justice, but at the same time they didn't really set up his character as someone who would burn a family alive killing 3 children(else why not shoot taiko after she stole his bag in the desert).

This.

Kanta was a selfish and greedy guy, but he wasn't the kind of guy who kills a family that way. I think he would never KILL KOSUNA. But i liked how his interests were on top of everything, he stayed true to his kind of character( excluding the heartless killer thing). So the perfect ending to me would be Kosuna betraying the Natsuko, Kawaguchi Bros, etc. And staying to the Kanta's Side, this would be right to the kind of person she is, because she is the disciple of Sunabouzu.

Grade: Something between 7,5 and 8
Mar 24, 2013 11:39 PM
Mar 2013
I really enjoyed the series I do feel like the ending was kind of abrupt but I loved that they kept Kanta's attitude even till the end. I would have to say though my favorite part of this entire series is when Kosuna is looking back on her past with Kanta when she chooses not to join him. It almost brought a tear to my eye XP
May 10, 2013 11:43 AM
Apr 2012
Emilio_Rodo said:
Personally I think the ending is the best part of the series.I really love it when characters surprise me, and Kanta did just that: after all, throughout the story the viewer is constantly led to believe that the perverted little turd will see the error in his ways and turn into something like Wolverine : maybe a bit gruff on the outside, but all heart on the inside.However, don't forget that this show is about freedom: the freedom of being what you want to be, not what people around you expect you to be.In Kanta's case, he decides that a perverted little turd is exactly what he wants to be and he sticks with it.I especially liked the final confrontation with his pupil.It really hammers down the impression that in any subsequent encounter , he would kill Taiko without hesitation. Because there won't be a sweet helpless little girl standing before him, but a tough, mean, capable desert warrior.He made sure of that, whether it was his original intention or not:)

Thank you! This was exactly how I felt about this anime. It looked like it was setting us up for a saccharine heel-face turn and then it went "Eh.. fuck it. Our main character is a dick. Deal with it." I seriously love when anime screws with my emotions!
Aug 21, 2013 6:59 PM

Sep 2011
End of so-so, expecting something more grand, but still put 8/10.
Aug 28, 2013 5:44 PM

Mar 2012
Great series
Aug 30, 2013 4:05 PM
Jul 2018
I greatly enjoyed this series overall but the ending felt pretty weak, much like an anime original end and going with Gonzo I suspect that's what happened.

Does anyone here recommend I read the manga or does it really end pretty much the same way there too?
Sep 23, 2013 1:31 PM

Sep 2012
Its great if it was longer

AWESOME
Dec 21, 2013 9:31 PM
Mar 2012
I'm torn with my feelings towards the ending. I didn't like how the explosion happened at the end. It gave me the impression that everyone just died. Then the credits happened and I saw everyone alive doing what they wanted. Was that a scene from before all of this went down or did nobody die?

If nobody died, I am happy with the series. Kanta taught Kosuna how to be independent and live true to her ideals. She was able to make her own decision on who she would follow and where she would go. I also like how he was able to stay with Junko in the end. I knew they would be together. She might have been frustrated by him, but she enjoyed his antics.

Kanta stayed true to who he was. Go to the side with which he'd make the most money and be the safest. His purpose is to stay alive and be with the strongest. He got the woman of his dreams and the power of his dreams. I am happy for him. I just wish there was more to it. I didn't like the way the series ended because it was too quick. I honestly didn't understand the ending until I discussed it with others.

I'm glad he got with Junko and kept to his style, but I sort of feel betrayed by him. Maybe the creator of the manga/anime wanted you to feel this way. Betrayed by him.
Jan 8, 2014 12:57 AM
Nov 2013
I don't know why most people seem to like the ending, I thought it was terrible. Really sad because episodes 1-20 I would have easily given this a 9 but episodes 21-24 were just plain god awful and rate a 2/10 in my opinion. It's pretty obvious that the scientist turned out to be a tool, so my question is why the hell would nobody else after seeing this turn on him? I really liked the Kasuna character, and Punk is a mercenary, yes he is shallow and perverted but he was a likeable character up 'til the end. When they decided to make him a megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur they completely wrecked the anime for me.....sorry I like good guys and happy endings. I will be generous and give the show a 6/10.
Jan 15, 2014 1:20 AM

Feb 2013
The anime was so FUNNY. I can't remember the last time when i laughed that much. Ending was very very sad, but I kinda knew it what was going to happen... Kanta is repo man and he thinks only himself.
Jan 22, 2014 9:05 AM
Jul 2018
I.........cant believe people are posting in Desert punk. Wow. Impressive.
Jan 22, 2014 6:56 PM

May 2012
Quite decent ending, while these last few episodes did take up a more serious role I did enjoyed it till this end! I did find the combination between fan service, humor and seriousness quite lovely and with a good pace it was overall a great anime!

What I especially liked about this anime were the characters and of course Wakamoto Norio voice casting one of them!

But yea quite enjoyed this final episode and well it sure finishes of this story quite decently! 8/10
Feb 22, 2014 5:33 PM

Oct 2013
Awesome series.

Mar 15, 2014 9:39 PM

Dec 2011
Que buena serie
Oct 26, 2014 7:50 PM

Sep 2014
The series was an enjoyable ride. A lot of laughter and i enjoyed the perverted humor. How ever I have to say that i was very disappointed in the ending. It really didn't conclude anything. Like is the old geezer a bad guy, and kosuna is on the wrong side, or is it kanta who is the bad guy now, and the show is no longer about him. Is it about kosuna who claims to be the new "Desert punk"?

Things i did enjoy though was that kanta didn't join the underground mercenaries, and he ending up siding with junko :). So i'm glad that kanta can make his own decisions and isn't brain washed like the rest of the characters.

Although I'm disappointed in how it ended. I give this show a 8/10 because I always like to be generous.
Feb 20, 2015 4:14 PM

Dec 2009
I enjoyed it for the most part. It never got as good as I thought it could. I liked how Taiko outsmarted Sunabouzu at the end. Favorite characters for me were Amagumo then Taiko. I feel about 6/10 for this.
Such junk...
Mar 23, 2015 6:01 PM

Oct 2009
bump. 9/10, very liked the show.
question: from what chapter/volume should i read the manga, if i've watched the whole anime adaptation?
あらあら。。。
May 2, 2015 2:43 PM

Sep 2013
Surprising as hell, but in a good manner.
Jul 7, 2015 10:08 AM

Nov 2010
I always cry at endings :'(
Jul 28, 2015 9:14 AM

Jul 2014
shadylookin said:
I'm conflicted.

I'm glad they didn't turn it into a good vs evil fight. Though mysteriously coming back from the dead annoys me. Taiko doesn' make a good main character she has the body of a 6 year old and the maturity of a 9 year old despite supposedly being 14. I love that they don't try and make Kanta some lame hero who fights for justice, but at the same time they didn't really set up his character as someone who would burn a family alive killing 3 children(else why not shoot taiko after she stole his bag in the desert).

Exactly what I felt. The ending is a good plot twist actually, but not developed enough.
A journey of thousand miles begins with a single step.
Mar 16, 2016 11:43 AM

Nov 2008
GONZO did it again. The manga may have a different ending.
Feb 17, 2017 11:15 PM

Feb 2016
Kanta is a genuine diamond in the rough, or rough in the diamond, or rough in the rough, whatever, he's a bona fide piece of shit. I think the show would easily be a complete flop on the story telling side as well if Kanta followed the same route of being a bad guy, but redeemed in the end, or a good guy with a horrible reputation e.g. trigun.

Following this logic, we know Junko's gonna backstab him the moment he flops, but Kanta doesn't seem to mind at all.

Props up to the Great Desert Punk!
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Dec 21, 2017 3:06 AM
Apr 2014
What chapter did the anime end on in manga?
Sep 1, 2018 12:22 PM
May 2015
The ending just killed it for me. There's no way Kanta should've survived after that robot essentially gored him wrist deep. I hate that they brought him back - if he was left dead, I would've easily rated this an 8. I just can't suspend my disbelief... especially the climactic explosion. How anyone survives that is beyond me.
Jan 1, 2019 12:48 PM

Nov 2012

It's an ending that I'm not expected, just really hope there a sequel.
Anyway good anime, 8/10
Jan 1, 2019 5:03 PM

Dec 2015
livingdarknet said:
hope there a sequel.

Only if you decide to read the books.
Mar 16, 2019 2:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I'm neutral for the ending but overall very good show, i loved it !
Sep 2, 2019 7:31 PM

Dec 2018
I almost drop this show after 5 firsts episodes but damn I'm glad to have continued, this show is so cooool, I can't find a better word
Sep 8, 2019 3:36 AM
Aug 2019
Am I the only one who was hoping Taiko would kill Junko with a shot to the head? And then also end up lodging a bullet into Kanta's head after he confessed to murdering the family, no, even before he confessed. I personally thought that would've been a good twist. But oh well. Good ending regardless, I give this Anime a 10/Junko's Boobs
Dec 17, 2019 10:52 AM

Sep 2019
It was a good fucken show. I loved it and enjoyed it.

7/10.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Desert Punk Episode 14 Discussion

datsunvic - Jun 30, 2009

12 by LithiumHead9 »»
Apr 20, 12:46 AM

Poll: » Sunabozu Episode 13 Discussion

SamA_El - Oct 24, 2010

9 by LithiumHead9 »»
Apr 18, 3:33 AM

Poll: » Desert Punk Episode 8 Discussion

Antarael - Dec 28, 2008

16 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 31, 2:08 AM

Poll: » Desert Punk Episode 2 Discussion

Zinvy - Oct 4, 2010

15 by wallus81 »»
Mar 14, 4:49 AM

Poll: » Desert Punk Episode 12 Discussion

Antarael - Dec 31, 2008

9 by GrandMarquis »»
Sep 28, 2023 2:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.