Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 31, 2013 2:56 PM
Jul 2013
Not referring to a singular series, but if you have noticed, two of Gintama's anime adaptions fill in the top five, with its original series falling just behind two spots at Number 7, which is pretty remarkable.

So why is this? I've only watched the original Gintama halfway for quite some time long ago, but never knew it was this famous.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 31, 2013 3:02 PM

Dec 2011
It's because, assuming you watch from the start, to get your rating to count at all for Gintama Enchousen you have to watch 256 episodes, and Gintama' isn't all that much lower. Nothing else on the entire site comes close to this. Who's going to watch that many episodes of something they don't enjoy?

And of course the initial series does better for this than any other high ranked series as well. If you take the average rating rather than the weighted one, Gintama season one is about 50th. Of course doing this only further boosts the advantages of sequels, but no other series in the top 20 sees anywhere near that level of drop.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Oct 31, 2013 3:05 PM

Jun 2012
DramaEnthusiast said:
So why is this?

Because it's fucking fabulous
Oct 31, 2013 3:06 PM

Jul 2011
DramaEnthusiast said:
So why is this?

Because why not?
Oct 31, 2013 3:06 PM

Oct 2013
It's one of the best anime ever conceived by mankind.
Oct 31, 2013 3:08 PM

Nov 2012
MAL doesn't factor scores into its average ratings unless they have seen a certain minimum percentage of a series. Since Gintama is like a bizillion episodes long, that means basically only the people that have persevered through a large number of episodes and already like it count as part of MAL's average. Also sequels aren't typically rated by people who already didn't like the series as they wouldn't bother with them, so this contributes to inflation of sequel scores.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 31, 2013 3:10 PM
Sep 2012
I doubt that series is even good. I heard that it's just a parody of shitty shounen series. I don't ever plan to give that show a chance.
Oct 31, 2013 3:10 PM

Nov 2010
MiniSiets said:
MAL doesn't factor scores into its average ratings unless they have seen a certain minimum percentage of a series. Since Gintama is like a bizillion episodes long, that means basically only the people that have persevered through a large number of episodes and already like it count as part of MAL's average.
It's 40 episodes that you have to watch for it to count and you don't have to like it(I know people who've watched past that or the whole thing that hate it).
Oct 31, 2013 3:11 PM
Jul 2013
MiniSiets said:
MAL doesn't factor scores into its average ratings unless they have seen a certain minimum percentage of a series. Since Gintama is like a bizillion episodes long, that means basically only the people that have persevered through a large number of episodes and already like it count as part of MAL's average. Also sequels aren't typically rated by people who already didn't like the series as they wouldn't bother with them, so this contributes to inflation of sequel scores.

So in a nutshell, it's not that many people that actually influence the rating?
Oct 31, 2013 3:12 PM

Nov 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
MiniSiets said:
MAL doesn't factor scores into its average ratings unless they have seen a certain minimum percentage of a series. Since Gintama is like a bizillion episodes long, that means basically only the people that have persevered through a large number of episodes and already like it count as part of MAL's average.
It's 40 episodes that you have to watch for it to count and you don't have to like it(I know people who've watched past that or the whole thing that hate it).

I'm speaking generally of course. Most people I think would give up after about 5 episodes if they genuinely don't like something, but there certainly are completionists out there that refuse to have anything under their dropped list.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Oct 31, 2013 3:12 PM

Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
MiniSiets said:
theres one guy whos name escapes me that i recall making it all the way to the kintama arc before he dropped. how the fuck he had that much patience but still it does happen, its just so rare it probably doesnt affect the score much

MiniSiets said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MiniSiets said:

I'm speaking generally of course. Most people I think would give up after about 5 episodes if they genuinely don't like something, but there certainly are completionists out there that refuse to have anything under their dropped list.
well if you drop in 5 episodes your just going to be berated by gintama fans such as myself telling them how shit the start is

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 31, 2013 3:14 PM

Nov 2010
JizzyHitler said:
theres one guy whos name escapes me that i recall making it all the way to the kintama arc before he dropped. how the fuck he had that much patience but still it does happen, its just so rare it probably doesnt affect the score much
The Saint guy? Who always uses the Saint Seiya stuff in his sig and av. Yeah he doesn't like Gintama at all.

MiniSiets said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MiniSiets said:

Unless they talked to the fans, Gintama is famous for having a slow start so I don't mind the rules cutting all those people off. Can't wait until One Piece finishes.
Oct 31, 2013 3:50 PM

Sep 2011
^ lol one piece will have a upper 9 if it stays consistent, and i sure as hope it does

Mod Edit: Quote tower fixed.
ThangLongDec 30, 2013 8:49 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 31, 2013 3:52 PM

Nov 2010
JizzyHitler said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Unless they talked to the fans, Gintama is famous for having a slow start so I don't mind the rules cutting all those people off. Can't wait until One Piece finishes.
lol one piece will have a upper 9 if it stays consistent, and i sure as hope it does
Yeah back in June if it would have ended the score would be 9.07. That's not counting those people who don't rate airing anime. One Piece isn't even in it's climax yet and counts all scores and it's still pretty high.
Oct 31, 2013 3:57 PM

Jan 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
JizzyHitler said:
The Saint guy? Who always uses the Saint Seiya stuff in his sig and av. Yeah he doesn't like Gintama at all.

MiniSiets said:
IntroverTurtle said:
MiniSiets said:

how did i get that far? cause 1 ep per week isnt much an by the way there was some stuff about Gintama that i liked hence i got that far before dropping it, happened the same with Bleach an Naruto
Oct 31, 2013 4:04 PM
Oct 2011
AnimeCritic101 said:
I doubt that series is even good. I heard that it's just a parody of shitty shounen series. I don't ever plan to give that show a chance.
Shitty shounen series? Gintama parodies everything. Simply everything, from shitty shounen to shitty cliches and stereotypes to shitty live-action TV-series to Ghibli to Conan to Jackie-chan to video games to real life people..etc Actually wait, maybe parody is a wrong word, mocking and making fun would be a better word. Or all 3 words next to each other would be better. And it does a great job at that.
Candor123Oct 31, 2013 4:20 PM
Oct 31, 2013 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
It has a small amount of die hard fans who spam up its score, just like the majority of the highest rated anime on MAL.
Oct 31, 2013 4:13 PM

Sep 2013
gintama is actually the best comedy anime i've watch.. not only comedy but action, parody, drama? (sometimes the backstories are sad), sci fi, shounen,, gintama is just everything..
はじめまして。おかざきです、どうぞ よろしく。
Dec 28, 2013 3:34 PM

Apr 2012
First, I proclaim that I have never watched Gintama, so I don't know what kind of a show it is. However, it seems a bit much that 4 Gintama shows reside in MAL's top 7 anime shows. Smells like fanboyism to me.

Your opinion?
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 28, 2013 3:36 PM

Jul 2011
Yahoo, another thread complaining about Gintama in the top 10, I wonder how many more we will get
Dec 28, 2013 3:37 PM

Sep 2012
IMO, Gintama is the best thing since sliced bread and it will take over the world.
Dec 28, 2013 3:37 PM

Sep 2011
3rd thread today of the same thing

Litrydow said:
IMO, Gintama is the best thing since sliced bread and it will take over the world.
gintama is far from the best comedy, tsui no sora runs circles around it, why is that not in the top 10, fucking plebs cant understand art

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 3:40 PM

Aug 2011
bunny_lover said:
Smells like fanboyism to me.

Why don't you go watch the series instead of making stupid comments like this?
Dec 28, 2013 3:41 PM

Jun 2012
Instead of complaining about it, make a difference. Create a fake account and vote it down.

Be a man of action.
Dec 28, 2013 3:42 PM

Sep 2012
I already made a thread complaining about this. Too many Gintama's! Gintama is everywhere! All hail your Gintama overlords!
Reverb_ShockDec 28, 2013 3:45 PM
Dec 28, 2013 3:43 PM

Jul 2011
mitch3315 said:
bunny_lover said:

Because making threads and assumptions takes less time than watching an anime
PralandDec 28, 2013 3:47 PM
Dec 28, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
Unfunny terrible show.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 28, 2013 3:46 PM

Sep 2011
Shuhan said:
Instead of complaining about it, make a difference. Create a fake account and vote it down.

Be a man of action.
boycott mal until gintama is removed from the site

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 3:47 PM

Jun 2011
It's awesome so why not?

But seriously, it's probably because it's got a smaller fanbase compared to most of the other Top 10 anime. Not to mention that a certain amount of the show needs to be watched (I don't remember how much) for the rating to be counted... and it's pretty long so that's probably why. I personally don't care too much about which of the anime is on top.

Dec 28, 2013 3:47 PM

Dec 2012
I think people should be more pissed about how much the movie earned in Japan because you know that actually matters, not a ranking on a fansite.

> $15 m

so butthurt over here i am.
Dec 28, 2013 3:51 PM
Jul 2013
ANothEr THreaD. FUCK!
Dec 28, 2013 3:53 PM

Sep 2011
tsudecimo said:
I think people should be more pissed about how much the movie earned in Japan because you know that actually matters, not a ranking on a fansite.

> $15 m

so butthurt over here i am.

oh its not just 15 million, its 15 million plus 80 thousand first week sales of limited editions that sold at 80+ bucks a pop in addition to another 22K regular edition BDs and dvds selling at around 30-40 bucks a pop

but clearly mal ratings is the problem

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 4:06 PM

May 2013
Why am I not surprised? -.-
Dec 28, 2013 4:09 PM

Jun 2011
Dec 28, 2013 4:10 PM

Apr 2013
Who cares? It's just a fucking rating.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 28, 2013 4:15 PM

Sep 2011
Emnay said:
I lost so much respect for you, ratings are clearly the most important thing in the entire world, i should know i rated ratings above the fucking world thats how fucking important they are

think about it, where would sun tzu be today if he hadnt rated and subsequently ranked his men from expendable to least expendable, thats right he would probably be dead now, now do you realize how this is something we should totally care about and make multiple threads on every few hours

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 4:21 PM

May 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
Emnay said:
I lost so much respect for you, ratings are clearly the most important thing in the entire world, i should know i rated ratings above the fucking world thats how fucking important they are

think about it, where would sun tzu be today if he hadnt rated and subsequently ranked his men from expendable to least expendable, thats right he would probably be dead now, now do you realize how this is something we should totally care about and make multiple threads on every few hours

Wow, that wasn't sarcastic at all. Nope, my sarcasm detector totally didn't make some huge sound right now. That was my stomach....I'm hungry, gonna go grab some noodles.
Dec 28, 2013 4:21 PM

Jan 2013
Have some tamales.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 28, 2013 4:22 PM

Nov 2012
The MAL ranking justifies. If you talk about some many people rating a show. People should first begin to question them self's if they don't agree with the rating that a big majority gave.
Dec 28, 2013 4:23 PM

Jun 2012
Déjà vu...............
получить деньги моего друга
Dec 28, 2013 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
mitch3315 said:
bunny_lover said:

which part of this is stupid? I offered my opinion based on what I know ... you know, just because you are a fanboy/girl doesn't mean you have to hate on every comment that didn't praise gintama...

痛就是爱
Dec 28, 2013 4:27 PM

Sep 2011
Dark_Divider said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
Emnay said:

Wow, that wasn't sarcastic at all. Nope, my sarcasm detector totally didn't make some huge sound right now. That was my stomach....I'm hungry, gonna go grab some noodles.
I never use sarcasm, ever, sarcasm is a lie created by the US government to brainwash us into mindless slaves or some shit, im hungry too im gonna go get a sub

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 4:31 PM

Jun 2011
^ Sarcasm is just a conspiracy to justify lying. It must be eradicated.

ThangLongDec 30, 2013 7:07 AM

Dec 28, 2013 4:31 PM

Apr 2013
NotJizzyHitler said:
Emnay said:

Oh my god, you're right! RATINGS DICTATE EVERYTHING, ALL HAIL THE RATINGS.
an egomaniac and a fool

Dec 28, 2013 4:33 PM

Sep 2011
SolBlade said:
Sarcasm is just a conspiracy to justify lying. It must be eradicated.
See look, if even for a second we saved this god awful thread to something way more entertaining

ThangLongDec 30, 2013 7:08 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 4:37 PM

Apr 2012
NotJizzyHitler said:
"Being a fan of something is like having a penis.
It's normal to have one and it's nice to be proud of it. But for the love of god, don't pull it out in public and don't wave it in other's faces."

I just feel like quoting this, from your own signature.

痛就是爱
Dec 28, 2013 4:40 PM

Sep 2011
bunny_lover said:
NotJizzyHitler said:
"Being a fan of something is like having a penis.
It's normal to have one and it's nice to be proud of it. But for the love of god, don't pull it out in public and don't wave it in other's faces."

I just feel like quoting this, from your own signature.
this has nothing to do with me liking gintama, this has to do with you being the 3rd damn person to post this type of thread in the past 12 hours, also all these types of threads are redundant regardless of the show its made for, we get these identical types fo threads every time anything gets a high ranking.

the moral of this story is STOP MAKING THESE TYPES OF THREADS

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 28, 2013 4:47 PM
Mar 2013
I don't really care.

If you actually get annoyed because strangers over the internet have a different taste in Japanese cartoons you need to re-evaluate your life.
Dec 28, 2013 4:51 PM

Sep 2011
Wecc said:
Only one man can solve this problem

To be honest i stopped caring about the top rated part of mal.
i would like to say since i started doing that his favorite's number has increased by 5 favorites

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 156 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

llamaben - May 7, 2009

117 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 26, 10:29 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

194 by Seraschi »»
Apr 25, 11:41 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

almozayaf - Jul 28, 2009

95 by SPG_Anima »»
Apr 21, 3:56 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Oct 3, 2009

107 by DaveyUwU »»
Apr 20, 6:31 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.