Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 4, 2013 12:01 AM
Dec 2013
Maybe its just , that the movie started on a slower pace compared to the first 2 Movies and the original show. It felt for me in retrospective just like they could have used some parts of the long exposition, to prepare us better for the final plot twist.

There were enough situations, in the first halve of the movie, where a smal retcon whould seamless fit in.

The artworks where pleasant to look at, we got our favorit characters back, it was almost perfect and than we got this , not so well executed, twist.

After watching the movie, i had no problems with it. It is not a contradiction, its just not well explained or backed by any specific event. Everthing regarding it is speculative.
Sometimes it is bad if you start overthinking these plotvehicles too much.
It is a smal personal flaw of mine that these things sometimes tend to provoke me doing just that. Especially when i´m confronted with such a well written Story, that it feels strange believing the author would use something as bad as deus-ex-machina in his otherwise very consistent plot.

The first time i was thinking about it was, when i came across some complains regarding it ...

I will just continue with my initial judgment, that the Movie is great and the problematic ending is not really worth the time to be botherd by it.
LeffotraDec 4, 2013 4:05 AM
Dec 4, 2013 4:42 AM
Jul 2010
Vegard_Aune said:
Dusk252 said:
Yes, that is true. It was in the interview, though Urobuchi apparently mentions having had "a breakthrough" upon hearing the idea, which implies he definitely wasn't against it.

One can never really trust such statements about the staff's opinions on what they made though. Common business sense would dictate that you never say anything bad about the project you were involved with, because if you do... that might hurt general interest in the product, which in turn would lead to you being considerably less likely to get another job. So we can't really say for sure if Urobuchi really liked the idea or not, because even if he didn't... he would never flat-out say he didn't.

That said, I have this distinct feeling that he was none too happy about it. If only because I seem to recall him also saying that he feels that he has now written all he reasonably can for these characters and that the story should pass on to other writers after this... Which could very easily be taken as "I really didn't like what they made me do with my characters here and I have no desire to continue this story." Of course, that could just be my personal bias talking...
I really do like to think he didn't want this to happen. After all, I like the guy's works a ton for the most part and having this type of complete nonsense writing. But the point here was just the lack of time for writing different ending, which I honestly believe was a weighting factor on how the movie turned out.

Leffotra said:
Maybe its just , that the movie started on a slower pace compared to the first 2 Movies and the original show. It felt for me in retrospective just like they could have used some parts of the long exposition, to prepare us better for the final plot twist.

There were enough situations, in the first halve of the movie, where a smal retcon whould seamless fit in.

The artworks where pleasant to look at, we got our favorit characters back, it was almost perfect and than we got this , not so well executed, twist.

After watching the movie, i had no problems with it. It is not a contradiction, its just not well explained or backed by any specific event. Everthing regarding it is speculative.
Sometimes it is bad if you start overthinking these plotvehicles too much.
It is a smal personal flaw of mine that these things sometimes tend to provoke me doing just that. Especially when i´m confronted with such a well written Story, that it feels strange believing the author would use something as bad as deus-ex-machina in his otherwise very consistent plot.

The first time i was thinking about it was, when i came across some complains regarding it ...

I will just continue with my initial judgment, that the Movie is great and the problematic ending is not really worth the time to be botherd by it.
The movie had, indeed, a slower pacing but that's not something that bothered me much, as it is actually adequate to the nature of the story that was delivered at that point. I do agree that in terms of visuals and happenings, this movie had a lot of unnecessary things, not being nearly as concise as the original series, which is definitely a point against it, but not a big point against it.

Honestly, after watching the movie I had tons of problems with it, even besides the non-consistent twist. (I'd be happy to go and expand on that if I didn't have to leave right now... Well, I guess I'll introduce them to this thread later if no one does.) But that's just me. I still had fun and still thought it was interesting and a good watch. It's just... well, way too far from reaching the heights of a series that has held up to tons of rewatches without losing its greatness in my eyes.
Dec 4, 2013 5:55 AM
Dec 2013
The pacing for itself is not a problem, it is more about the efficient use of the limited time which the movie got.

What made the show so great was not only the story, or the execution.
Almost every scene contributed something to the greater picture. Every scene was an other part of the puzzle.

If you would ask me, i could not name a single scene, which you could cut without loosing something in return. And if you count the verry subtile changes in the first 2 movies you can see that the directors maybe felt the same way about their work.

Some hints were hidden in the dialogs. Some in a name or somewhere in a background art. And sometimes, we got a hint, in just a bunch of single frames (Homura timestop hint in ep 5).

All these features, were in the movie not as prominent as in the show.
Thats the only reason i´m not as happy as i hoped i would be, after watching the movie.

If i had to rate it , i would really want to give the Movie the highest possible rating. At the same time, it doesn´t feel right, giving the movie the same score i had attributed to the original show.

I honestly don´t know, if i should really lower my rating of the movie , somewhere behind the first show ...
LeffotraDec 4, 2013 6:29 AM
Dec 4, 2013 6:55 PM

Apr 2012
I guess I'll point out some of the issues I had with the film. Something that really bothers me is how Homura's personality did a 180 towards the end. When she made that creepy smile right before Madokami was about to greet her I was just like "Wait, what?" It was just so jarring and, in my eyes, out of character. I know that she was broken and desperate after all the troubles she went through, but that change in demeanor was just too much and too unlike Homura for me to take seriously. And like others said, the film basically pulled a deux ex machina with Homura using the power of LOVE to become a devil. I mean really? Also Bebe/Charlotte was just kind of there in the movie and didn't really have much of a role besides being a sort of mascot. I thought she would be more important, but I guess this is just a minor gripe.

I'm also really worried about any potential sequels to this movie. I already thought that the ending of the TV series was perfect as it was, and I think going any further past Rebellion would really be milking the franchise. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the scope of the story is now huge with this movie; how are the creators going to top this film's scope and still keep a great plot? I don't think that is feasible. I could be wrong, though.

I did enjoy the movie overall, though. It went in a very bold and interesting direction for a sequel, and I admire that. Sure, the movie could have been better, but at the same time I also think that it could have been a lot worse. Also, something I loved about Rebellion was the crazy psychedelic visuals. They really helped give the film a surreal atmosphere and were just great to watch. Stuff that stood out to me include the dancing transformation scenes, the cake song scene, and all of the scenes on the bus. Just glorious. The idea of the devil/god duality between Homura and Madoka is very cool too; I just think it could have been done better.
Dec 4, 2013 7:29 PM

Jan 2008
quukii said:
Also Bebe/Charlotte was just kind of there in the movie and didn't really have much of a role besides being a sort of mascot. I thought she would be more important, but I guess this is just a minor gripe.

While I wouldn't say her presence really detracted from the story in any way and they did at least give her some relevance, it's true that she never did quite shed that whole feeling of just being tacked on for the sake of fanservice (by which I mean the "Hey, Charlotte the witch is really popular! Let's include her in this movie and show what her human self looked like!" kind of fanservice, not the sexual kind that the phrase is usually associated with.)
Dec 4, 2013 11:50 PM
Oct 2010
Vegard_Aune said:
quukii said:
Also Bebe/Charlotte was just kind of there in the movie and didn't really have much of a role besides being a sort of mascot. I thought she would be more important, but I guess this is just a minor gripe.

While I wouldn't say her presence really detracted from the story in any way and they did at least give her some relevance, it's true that she never did quite shed that whole feeling of just being tacked on for the sake of fanservice (by which I mean the "Hey, Charlotte the witch is really popular! Let's include her in this movie and show what her human self looked like!" kind of fanservice, not the sexual kind that the phrase is usually associated with.)

She was there for fanservice purposes (mostly) but she did have a legitimate role. She was actually a back up in case Sayaka was unable to remind madoka who she was due to being incapacitated, killed.. w/e.
Dec 5, 2013 2:19 AM

Aug 2010
Omniknight said:
OBVIOUS SPOILERS AHEAD

A few questions to those who are really astute or able to find the underlying meaning.

1) What does the spool of pink thread represent? It turns into Homura's new soul gem. It can't be the Law of Cycles since it gets kicked around by Homura's familiars much earlier in the movie, just shortly after it is revealed that Homura has indeed turned into a witch. Then what is it?

2) Near the end, when Homura tells (more like orders) Sayaka to be her daily friend, Homura's minions are throwing oranges/tomatoes at her, which then splatters on her face. What is the significance of this? Is it to represent the fact that if Sayaka does not be friendly, she will not be liked by Madoka?

For #1 - I interpreted the spool of thread as representing the "red string of fate" connecting Homura and Madoka. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_string_of_fate

For #2 - the red "tomato juice " running down Homura's face adds to the creepy yandere effect... I can't think of anything besides that. :P
Dec 5, 2013 5:04 PM

Nov 2013
Leffotra said:
Vegard_Aune said:
Leffotra said:
If im right, a major theme of the show is the concept of balance, in everything. If Madoka is the embodiment of hope,
someone/something should be there to cancel it out. Otherwise the whole concept of balance whould stop working..

I'm going to see movie tomorrow, today I can only say one thing: in TV series universe stayed in balance, because overly emotional and caring Madoka was antithesis of emotionless and overly pragmatic Kyubey, who was using people for thousands of years. It was quite clear.
Tachikoma1701Dec 5, 2013 5:08 PM
Dec 6, 2013 9:09 PM

Dec 2008
Reporting in from the DC premiere! Had a good time, good crowd, friendly folks.

I was honestly expecting Nagisa to have a bigger role in the movie for some reason. I felt like she was promoted and talked about a bunch so I was anticipating her to have a bigger part. However, I thought she was pretty cute for what little she did and what little she was around and if there is more to the whole Madoka Magica story--the cash cow goes "moo moo"--I'd be interested in seeing how her character gets expanded.

Otherwise, the film was amazing. I had a really great time watching it and felt engaged in it the whole time. It reminded me of when I first was watching the series, which was something I hoped to re-experience in some way. I felt like this movie succeeded in that regard for me.

I felt some fanservice-y/pandering kind of vibes when the girls were working together, teaming up, doing moves together and just hanging out and talking together. Also, Kyubey being very cute and Pokemon-like in the first half was adorable. I did enjoy it, but it kind of weirded me out at first. Both during and after the round table cake song scene, I really started wondering what the hell kind of alternate reality we had jumped into. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it, but I started really wondering about it. I was both really happy and sad for Homura when it was revealed that they were in a witch's labyrinth--which I was first thinking was because of Madoka, but then started thinking it could be either Madoka or Homura. When it turned out to be Homura's labyrinth, I was glad to see the movie went in that direction but also sad that Homura had given into despair to finally become a witch.

BUT I was so excited when Homura was pulling Madoka down closer to her and flashed her creepy grin. The audience started wigging out at that scene. All I could think was, "This is Gen Urobuchi, bitch! No completely happy endings! YES! GO GET HER, HOMURA! You deserve it, you've suffered so much." Then I started thinking about the Id against the Superego and started thinking about chaos and cosmos as Homura and Madoka. It made me philosophize about the balance theme in this movie and I loved it so much. Homura and Kyoko were my favorite characters before and Homura is especially my favorite character now.

All that said and done, I loved the hell out of this movie. I'm glad I went to see it in the theatre because it made for both a fun and memorable experience.

Also, while I'm content with this being the finale of the series, money talks. If the series gets expanded somehow once again, I'll feel guilty, but I'll still go and see it like the mindless, Madoka Magica-loving sheep I am. I am curious to see more, but I would be content knowing this is all there is. For me, it was written well enough to satisfy both alternatives.
Dec 6, 2013 10:13 PM

Oct 2010
Just watched it in Boston.

Quite literally on a whole new world of epicness. AkuHomu is a major plot twist character. That intertwine of desire and love is just too good to pass up. Plus, almost everyone in the theater waited for after the credits, and we were happily rewarded.

Went in expecting yuri and gun battles. Was not disappoint.
Dec 6, 2013 10:20 PM

Jun 2008
Something happened that I don't think has ever happened before for me: immediately after finishing it, I wanted to see it again. I definitely need to see this again. It simultaneously broke my expectations and was exactly what I wanted.
Dec 6, 2013 10:43 PM

Nov 2011
HomuHomu may have out-trolled Trollkastel..
Dec 6, 2013 11:53 PM

Feb 2011
Just watched in Michigan. I feel blessed that it actually came to my state lol. Movie was beyond my wildest dreams in terms of awesomeness and I hope theres more to come.
OmegadarkDec 7, 2013 12:20 AM
Dec 6, 2013 11:58 PM

Jan 2013
Omegadark said:
Just watched in Michigan. I feel blessed that it actually came to my state lol. Beyond my wildest dreams in terms of awesomeness and hope theres some more.

I watched in Florida and I feel the same way, "it actually came to my state?!" I was really lucky to even get a ticket to begin with because it sold out pretty fast. I loved the movie, the premise and execution. I loved the scene at the end where it showed Kyuubey huehuehue.

Cosplayers!
https://31.media.tumblr.com/1ed946a37b5340b46b949466e1eb2202/tumblr_mxfdtoBwyk1skweg2o2_500.jpg
Dec 7, 2013 12:24 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
AqworldThunder said:
Omegadark said:
Just watched in Michigan. I feel blessed that it actually came to my state lol. Beyond my wildest dreams in terms of awesomeness and hope theres some more.

I watched in Florida and I feel the same way, "it actually came to my state?!" I was really lucky to even get a ticket to begin with because it sold out pretty fast. I loved the movie, the premise and execution. I loved the scene at the end where it showed Kyuubey huehuehue.

Cosplayers!
https://31.media.tumblr.com/1ed946a37b5340b46b949466e1eb2202/tumblr_mxfdtoBwyk1skweg2o2_500.jpg
that is some really bad Homura cosplay
Dec 7, 2013 1:08 AM

Jan 2013
Just got back from the screening. It was a pretty good movie and overall good but confusing conclusion. The first part o the film was fucking terrible though. I felt like booing the shit out of it and even walking out of it. That cake scene is retarded and beyond corny.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 7, 2013 10:31 AM

Jan 2013
MajinSaga said:
Just got back from the screening. It was a pretty good movie and overall good but confusing conclusion. The first part o the film was fucking terrible though. I felt like booing the shit out of it and even walking out of it. That cake scene is retarded and beyond corny.

Dec 7, 2013 11:08 AM
Jun 2012
Saw it last night in Pittsburgh. Totally worth the drive through that awful weather. Packed house with a good crowd and an awesome movie; great night in general.
Dec 7, 2013 12:20 PM
Jul 2013
Idk if there was anything about this in the thread already, but does anyone have any interpretations for the final scene after the credits?
Dec 7, 2013 1:31 PM

Aug 2008
I just got back from downtown Los Angeles watching the morning screening. It was a wonderful movie indeed, surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed Homura's confusion as she realizes everything around her is wrong. However, I actually thought the climax of the movie was a bit confusing. If anything else, I can't say I like the way Homura turned out to in the end...

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Dec 7, 2013 2:07 PM

Jan 2013
guyklc said:
I just got back from downtown Los Angeles watching the morning screening. It was a wonderful movie indeed, surpassed my expectations. I enjoyed Homura's confusion as she realizes everything around her is wrong. However, I actually thought the climax of the movie was a bit confusing. If anything else, I can't say I like the way Homura turned out to in the end...

Downtown independent? Ha I saw it there last night too.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 7, 2013 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
MajinSaga said:
guyklc said:

/high fives

Yes, I saw it at Downtown Independent. I live about 40 minutes to the east of Los Angeles. It was worth it driving through the morning rain :)

Thanks, person who gave me this on another site a long time ago, lol.
Dec 7, 2013 3:37 PM

Aug 2008
ShinakoX2 said:
Idk if there was anything about this in the thread already, but does anyone have any interpretations for the final scene after the credits?
Kyubey got fuckin wrecked. But Homura said that it was necessary for her new order, so I dunno.

The cake song, though...caught me off by surprise. They were spittin their rhymes so gooooood.
Dec 7, 2013 4:15 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
So in the anime we see Madoka make a new world, and in this movie Homura's despair and numerous time skips to the past cause her to finally break. Her witch form was very nicely done, and in the end to me Homura did what she did to keep Madoka from leaving her. From my perspective she just didn't want to be left alone, and she didn't really care what Sayaka or Kyoko told her, but she did tell Madoka that if the day ever comes where she changes sides or realizes the truth of Homura's actions the Madoka will be her rival.

Homura basically finished what Madoka couldn't in the anime and that's rewrite the law of cycle so that Madoka can live a normal peaceful life. As for Kyubey it surprised me that Homura was used as a Guinea Pig for his twisted experiments. Now Homura turning witch after recovering her memories wasn't much of a surprise.
SweetKiichigoDec 7, 2013 4:20 PM

Dec 7, 2013 5:48 PM

Aug 2008
I got none of the cool gifts/items. Nothing. :/
Dec 7, 2013 5:53 PM

Dec 2009
30 Min drive for me. Well worth it as well.

Also, why do I feel like I am the only person that feels like the ending was completely in character of Homura?
Dragonblood21Dec 7, 2013 6:06 PM
Dec 7, 2013 6:04 PM

Jan 2013
destructo22 said:
I got none of the cool gifts/items. Nothing. :/

Oh damn that sucks. Did you go on premier day? I think they were only giving the autograph boards on premier day.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 7, 2013 6:33 PM

Aug 2008
Naw, I went today. I know that people who watched it on Premier day got good shit, but I could've sworn that people who watched the movie regardless would get something. Maybe it was just for Los Angeles? I watched it in Buffalo. I dunno, I'm over it now though lol.

The cake song alone was with the $16 ticket.
Dec 7, 2013 7:19 PM

Jan 2008
Dragonblood21 said:
Also, why do I feel like I am the only person that feels like the ending was completely in character of Homura?

I dunno, because you're not. While I've made my intense hatred of this movie's ending quite thoroughly known, it didn't take me long to accept that Homura's actions, while complete bullshit from a storytelling perspective, (you can't just say "My Soul Gem was corrupted by love which gave me the power to rewrite reality!!!" and expect me to accept it when 1: this story has been running quite thoroughly on cynicism from day one, and 2: there was absolutely nothing in the show or the movie prior to this twist that indicated that this was possible) are perfectly in-character for her. Oh sure, I also find they make her seriously unlikable and cast an insanely creepy light over absolutely everything she ever did before this as well, but it's in no way inconsistent with how she was portrayed before this.
Dec 7, 2013 8:11 PM

Aug 2008
guyklc said:
MajinSaga said:
guyklc said:

/high fives

Yes, I saw it at Downtown Independent. I live about 40 minutes to the east of Los Angeles. It was worth it driving through the morning rain :)

We were in the same showing =). Managed to grab both Homura and Ultimate Madoka art board ^^. But that ending.... i almost screamed out "Damn you Urobuchi" outloud -_-
ultimalionbetaDec 7, 2013 8:15 PM

Dec 7, 2013 8:15 PM
Oct 2010
MajinSaga said:

That was intentional, it was supposed to be the perfect world according to homura's subconscious. Basically she was projecting like crazy.
Dec 7, 2013 8:31 PM

Dec 2009
Vegard_Aune said:
Dragonblood21 said:

I dunno, because you're not. While I've made my intense hatred of this movie's ending quite thoroughly known, it didn't take me long to accept that Homura's actions, while complete bullshit from a storytelling perspective, (you can't just say "My Soul Gem was corrupted by love which gave me the power to rewrite reality!!!" and expect me to accept it when 1: this story has been running quite thoroughly on cynicism from day one, and 2: there was absolutely nothing in the show or the movie prior to this twist that indicated that this was possible) are perfectly in-character for her. Oh sure, I also find they make her seriously unlikable and cast an insanely creepy light over absolutely everything she ever did before this as well, but it's in no way inconsistent with how she was portrayed before this.

I only skimmed the thread a bit, but it looked like others here were also saying that Homura's actions were not like her. As I was walking out of the theatre, that's all I practically heard. I didn't get that at all. Homura never showed care to anyone other than Madoka throughout the whole anime + movie. I mean hell, in just the movie she contemplated taking Mami's life when she had no reason to. Or did anyone else not notice her pointing the gun at Mami's soul gem when she thought she froze her? It was weird.

I kind of feel like Homura's actions were still very cynical. She's calling it "love" but I feel she has a very tainted view of what love is. It isn't the love most people are accustomed to, and relate to. She wanted to keep Madoka by her side at all costs, regardless of who or what she effected. She would kill the world if it meant Madoka was still by her side. If that's not cynical, or something along the lines of 'evil love', I'm not sure what is. She might be at the point where even if she hurt Madoka, she would overlook it for her sake. I don't know, we didn't really get a chance to see much of "Homura version 3", so to speak.

I never really found Homura like-able, and her actions to me were always sort of creepy. She always had a scent of evil on her too. She didn't even show slight emotion when Mami died in the anime, and could care less about Sayaka when she was becoming a witch. She never cared about her comrades apart from Madoka. Seeing her turn evil because of Madoka, well, that seemed pretty much right on the money to me.

Edit: I am referencing the Homura that changed due to going through time so much. NOT the Homura that wore the glasses and braids. To me they are two different characters, and the fact that the writer specifically changes her look even, I would say is trying to reflect that upon us. Thus why I referred to the ending Homura as version 3.
Dragonblood21Dec 7, 2013 8:38 PM
Dec 7, 2013 8:35 PM

Jan 2013
skudoops said:
MajinSaga said:

That was intentional, it was supposed to be the perfect world according to homura's subconscious. Basically she was projecting like crazy.

Yeah I realize that now. But it still came off as really cheesy. I'll just erase it from my mind.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Dec 7, 2013 8:50 PM

Dec 2011
Seen it twice now and going for a 3rd screening with friends tomorrow. I still can't describe in words how i feel about that ending. It's driving me insane. I hate it. I love it. 10/10

P.S. Akuma Homura for #1 yandere ever.
Dec 7, 2013 8:56 PM

Nov 2011
Thought it was great. Didn't expect them to do anything quite like this. I'm still a tad unclear on a couple of the specifics but I'm sure a second viewing will clear that up.

EDIT: There is only one line of dialogue that I don't get...

Other than that one line everything else makes sense and I can totally see how they would continue this story.
neontasterDec 7, 2013 10:44 PM
Dec 7, 2013 11:02 PM

Nov 2011
AqworldThunder said:
Omegadark said:

Cosplayers!

I thought about getting up to take a picture of them, but I guess this one works just as well. ^_~

That Kyouko looked pretty legit in person.
Dec 8, 2013 12:08 AM

Jan 2008
ultimalionbeta said:
But that ending.... i almost screamed out "Damn you Urobuchi" outloud -_-

This ending was not in Urobuchi's original plans though. His first draft had the movie just ending with Madokami taking Homura away and them presumably living happily ever after in Magical Girl Heaven, but then Shinbo was like "You know... I'd like something that leaves the door open for a sequel. Think we could do that?" and then... well I don't know exactly how it went down, and for all I know maybe Devil Homura was Urobuchi's idea (though I do get the impression from what I read, that it was something someone else suggested to him), but in any case, she was a later addition to the story.

neontaster said:
Thought it was great. Didn't expect them to do anything quite like this. I'm still a tad unclear on a couple of the specifics but I'm sure a second viewing will clear that up.

Other than that one line everything else makes sense and I can totally see how they would continue this story.

Really? The official subtitles translated it as "demons"? I seem to recall they were called "Wraiths" in the dub and official subs for the show/first two movies. In any case, she means the creatures that basically replaced the witches in Madoka's new world. Now I have seen the translation "demons" used for them before, but I never really cared much for that... And given that this movie gave us "the Devil" who is Homura herself, it makes even less sense to use it now.

Oh and also I'm pretty sure that statement was meant to be just mocking her. Like "Oh sure, I don't mind being your enemy and having epic battles for the fate of the universe. But how about we leave that till after you've beaten the Wraiths (which can never be completely destroyed as they are the physical manifestations of despair and curses and so the only way to get rid of them would be to somehow annihilate all despair from the universe), 'kay?"
Dec 8, 2013 2:52 AM

Nov 2013
Dragonblood21 said:
I never really found Homura like-able, and her actions to me were always sort of creepy. She always had a scent of evil on her too. She didn't even show slight emotion when Mami died in the anime, and could care less about Sayaka when she was becoming a witch. She never cared about her comrades apart from Madoka. Seeing her turn evil because of Madoka, well, that seemed pretty much right on the money to me.

Edit: I am referencing the Homura that changed due to going through time so much. NOT the Homura that wore the glasses and braids. To me they are two different characters, and the fact that the writer specifically changes her look even, I would say is trying to reflect that upon us. Thus why I referred to the ending Homura as version 3.

Demonstrably false statement. In anime she tried to save Mami, but Mami didn't listen to her and restrained her. And Homura did have subtle reaction when Mami died, this same happened when Kyoko died. It wasn't ocean of tears but this reaction was there! She also saved Sayaka twice - first during fight with Kyoko, second time: when she retrieved Sayaka's soul gem. She also wanted to give Sayaka grief seed, when Miki needed it, but Sayaka refused. She also saved Kyoko from Oktavia von Seckendorff, and helped her to escape with Sayaka's body. Why she did all those things if she didn't give a damn about anyone else but Madoka? She was always trying to resolve problems with diplomacy, and she was using violence as a last resort etc.

My point is: Homura from TV series had some morals, she didn't thought that ends justify the means. If she did, why she never kidnapped Madoka, taken her away far from Mitakihara City and held her captive until Walpurgisnacht threat was over? It would be very easy thing to do. So why she never did that? Why she never killed Kyoko, when she knowed that Kyoko will be dangerous for Madoka's best friend?

You see, appeal of characters like Homura and/or Kyoko comes from, the fact that they are seemingly evil and uncaring, but in reality they are good people who just have very traumatic past. Plot twist, in original anime, was that seemingly emotionless, jaded and creepy, Homura was in reality, a good person, who just wanted to save someone from dying. And you knows what? In all timeliness Madoka can see this, she is the only one who is willing to give Homura benefit of the doubt - "I wonder... Is she really a bad person"? -, because Madoka always see what's best in people. And that was the only reason why Homura fell in love with Madoka in the first place: Kaname was the only one who seen Homura's potential, she gave this insecure, timid, sickly girl, a hope that someday she will become more than just a four eyes weirdo: "Since you were blessed with such a great name, you should become cool to match it!", "You were amazing, Homura!" etc. And this hope come true. During her time crusade, Homura become confident, smart, athletic and she had superpowers - in the end she was most powerful Puella Magi alive and she had mission in life, she fought to commemorate Madoka. So, Madoka give Homura hope, and now Homura is practically destroying hope itself... It could be seen as ironic, tragic and even poetic but I think that it is out of character for Homura. It's sad that Madoka was wrong about Akemi and Sayaka was right all along: "And there I was, thinking she was this awesome girl, but it turns out she"s a total psycho!" Damn shame! :(

This movie ruined Homura's character, but if there would be season 2, maybe authors will give her opportunity for redemption, if this even possible. I prefer to see, redemption story rather than all out fight between metaphorical god and metaphorical devil.
Tachikoma1701Dec 8, 2013 3:02 AM
Dec 8, 2013 3:03 AM

Mar 2012
If you go to the animesuki forums, they have a pretty long thread on the movie where almost everyone has come to the conclusion that Homura's character change is natural and foreshadowed in several scenes earlier in the movie.

As for the love gem coming out of nowhere thing, after watching the series again and then rewatching the movie, here's my take on how it makes sense:

In the original series, Madoka's potential comes mostly from the karmic threads that spiral towards her due to Homura's wish. In the scene where Kyubi's explaining his theory, there is an image of Madoka, laid over gears, and and also being strung up by threads. I'm interpreting these as karmic threads from the various universes Homura traversed, and that Madoka is the 'center'. However, later in the same episode, when Kyubei is explaining Homura's action to Madoka, at the part where she'll fall into despair after realizing she can't change fate, Homura is shown in the exact same pose and background, with the same karmic threads tying her up.

In the movie, there is a pink spool of thread that shows up a lot in Homura's Labyrinth, and is often being played around with by her familiars. I think most people assumed it was some kind of red string of fate referring to Homura's love to Madoka. I'm thinking it could also be a representation of the karmic spiral that Homura accumulated. In the scene where Homura creates her super love gem, the scene literally shows the pink thread spool turning into it.

The original series also refers to how special Homura is a lot in the last episode. Madoka even remarks that Homura is able come to the higher plane she resided in for the last meeting, and also says that because she's able to come here, she may not forget Madoka in the new world.

Also, rewriting the universe wasn't done by Madoka in the original series either. Madoka made a wish, and due to the paradox caused by the wish, the powers that grant the wish changed Madoka into a law that existed outside the universes, and then the universes 'balanced' themselves to fit with this new law.

In the movie, it doesn't seem like Homura does anything as extravagant as creating a new law. She rips a small part of Madoka from the greater law, and then envelops the universe (although in my 2nd viewing, it seemed like every universe) first in her normal witch Labyrinth, which is then quickly filled by that new 'love' that filled her soul gem (there's actually 2 growths, first the purple that we associate with Witches, then the crazy psychedelic black pattern that's supposed to be 'love').
Dec 8, 2013 3:05 AM

Apr 2012
Just saw the movie a few hours ago and all i can say is that

10/10
A perfect story to why sometimes villains are misunderstood in their desire to achieve their goals.
Janethan23Dec 8, 2013 3:15 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 8, 2013 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
Vegard_Aune said:
ultimalionbeta said:
But that ending.... i almost screamed out "Damn you Urobuchi" outloud -_-

This ending was not in Urobuchi's original plans though. His first draft had the movie just ending with Madokami taking Homura away and them presumably living happily ever after in Magical Girl Heaven, but then Shinbo was like "You know... I'd like something that leaves the door open for a sequel. Think we could do that?" and then... well I don't know exactly how it went down, and for all I know maybe Devil Homura was Urobuchi's idea (though I do get the impression from what I read, that it was something someone else suggested to him), but in any case, she was a later addition to the story.

neontaster said:

Really? The official subtitles translated it as "demons"? I seem to recall they were called "Wraiths" in the dub and official subs for the show/first two movies. In any case, she means the creatures that basically replaced the witches in Madoka's new world. Now I have seen the translation "demons" used for them before, but I never really cared much for that... And given that this movie gave us "the Devil" who is Homura herself, it makes even less sense to use it now.

Oh and also I'm pretty sure that statement was meant to be just mocking her. Like "Oh sure, I don't mind being your enemy and having epic battles for the fate of the universe. But how about we leave that till after you've beaten the Wraiths (which can never be completely destroyed as they are the physical manifestations of despair and curses and so the only way to get rid of them would be to somehow annihilate all despair from the universe), 'kay?"

Yeah I sorta figured she was toying with her but I wasn't sure if I was missing something. And yes, the sub said "demons" even though it also used the word "wraiths" elsewhere in the same movie. That definitely contributed to my confusion.
Dec 8, 2013 7:18 AM

Dec 2009
Tachikoma1701 said:

Demonstrably false statement. In anime she tried to save Mami, but Mami didn't listen to her and restrained her. And Homura did have subtle reaction when Mami died, this same happened when Kyoko died. It wasn't ocean of tears but this reaction was there! She also saved Sayaka twice - first during fight with Kyoko, second time: when she retrieved Sayaka's soul gem. She also wanted to give Sayaka grief seed, when Miki needed it, but Sayaka refused. She also saved Kyoko from Oktavia von Seckendorff, and helped her to escape with Sayaka's body. Why she did all those things if she didn't give a damn about anyone else but Madoka? She was always trying to resolve problems with diplomacy, and she was using violence as a last resort etc.

My point is: Homura from TV series had some morals, she didn't thought that ends justify the means. If she did, why she never kidnapped Madoka, taken her away far from Mitakihara City and held her captive until Walpurgisnacht threat was over? It would be very easy thing to do. So why she never did that? Why she never killed Kyoko, when she knowed that Kyoko will be dangerous for Madoka's best friend?

You see, appeal of characters like Homura and/or Kyoko comes from, the fact that they are seemingly evil and uncaring, but in reality they are good people who just have very traumatic past. Plot twist, in original anime, was that seemingly emotionless, jaded and creepy, Homura was in reality, a good person, who just wanted to save someone from dying. And you knows what? In all timeliness Madoka can see this, she is the only one who is willing to give Homura benefit of the doubt - "I wonder... Is she really a bad person"? -, because Madoka always see what's best in people. And that was the only reason why Homura fell in love with Madoka in the first place: Kaname was the only one who seen Homura's potential, she gave this insecure, timid, sickly girl, a hope that someday she will become more than just a four eyes weirdo: "Since you were blessed with such a great name, you should become cool to match it!", "You were amazing, Homura!" etc. And this hope come true. During her time crusade, Homura become confident, smart, athletic and she had superpowers - in the end she was most powerful Puella Magi alive and she had mission in life, she fought to commemorate Madoka. So, Madoka give Homura hope, and now Homura is practically destroying hope itself... It could be seen as ironic, tragic and even poetic but I think that it is out of character for Homura. It's sad that Madoka was wrong about Akemi and Sayaka was right all along: "And there I was, thinking she was this awesome girl, but it turns out she"s a total psycho!" Damn shame! :(

This movie ruined Homura's character, but if there would be season 2, maybe authors will give her opportunity for redemption, if this even possible. I prefer to see, redemption story rather than all out fight between metaphorical god and metaphorical devil.

She didn't try to save Mami, as much as she tried to stop the fight from happening and leaving the possibility of a contract being formed between Madoka and Kyuube to make Madoka a magical girl. One of her two reactions was an "oh no", and that's because that means Madoka is left in the witch's presence with no magical girl there to defeat it. The second reaction was a slight shimmer in her eyes after saying, "This is what it's like to become a magical girl". Which to me is her restraining emotion from the countless times she's been through the pain of being a magical girl, seeing Madoka die over and over. Before this fight Homura makes it very clear to Mami that her concern is stopping Mami fromming helping Sayaka and Madoka become magical girls, and then specifically states she especially doesn't want Madoka involved.

Again Homura's motive behind saving Sayaka in the fight with Kyouko is to prevent a contract with Madoka and Kyuube. Kyuube was trying to get Madoka to help her friend, by interfering with the fight, Homura was able to rid the possibility of her becoming a magical girl to help Sayaka. She even explicitly states to Kyouko she will deal with Sayaka on her own.

The 2nd time she doesn't save Sayaka, and even states to her that she doesn't care if she dies, right to her face. She only cares that the situation is hurting Madoka, and that's it. Sayaka herself even sees that Homura's motives aren't pure and caring to Sayaka, before Homura states so to confirm that.

She shows a small amount of care towards Kyouko's death in the anime. It's unclear whether this is because she lost her partner to possibly bring down Walpurgisnacht, or because she actually cared about Kyouko, or possibly a combination of the two. Re-watching the episode it looks to me like she did have a small care for Kyouko herself, with a rather large emphasis on small.

Homura wasn't fighting to commemorate Madoka either, she was fighting to save her, and keep her by her side. Her wish was to protect Madoka, because Homura couldn't deal with Madoka's death, she couldn't emotionally handle it.

The Homura before she traveled through time consistently was a good character, it's the Homura that traveled through time again and again that became cold and to a sense corrupted by watching her best friend die repeatedly, without a seemingly possible way to stop it. Now honestly I think if any of the other four went through this, they too could emerge as a different character entirely as well. They could possibly be very similar to Homura, possibly even completely evil, who's really to say? I don't view Homura as an "evil" character per say, but I certainly do view her as corrupted, and the corruption started after watching Madoka die over and over.
Dragonblood21Dec 8, 2013 7:22 AM
Dec 8, 2013 8:09 AM

Nov 2007
Happy, peaceful world, but there are mahou shoujo who still fights happily. Kyuubey doesn't talk and is Madoka's pet. And there's a doll (previously a witch) with Mami that turns out to be the new girl.

It sounds like Homura's journey to find out about herself, but it became a journey to become a different identity by stealing a part of Madoka's power because of her desire is too strong. Kyuubey's sole purpose is still the same. Homura doesn't want to forget her role even though she doesn't have the memory...
tsubasaloverDec 8, 2013 9:30 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 8, 2013 10:08 AM

Nov 2013
Dragonblood21 said:
"She didn't try to save Mami, as much as she tried to stop the fight from happening and leaving the possibility of a contract being formed between Madoka and Kyuube to make Madoka a magical girl. One of her two reactions was an "oh no", and that's because that means Madoka is left in the witch's presence with no magical girl there to defeat it. The second reaction was a slight shimmer in her eyes after saying, "This is what it's like to become a magical girl". Which to me is her restraining emotion from the countless times she's been through the pain of being a magical girl, seeing Madoka die over and over. Before this fight Homura makes it very clear to Mami that her concern is stopping Mami fromming helping Sayaka and Madoka become magical girls, and then specifically states she especially doesn't want Madoka involved."

Well, that's only one of possible interpretations, and I don't agree with it. In fact Homura could wanted to get rid off Mami, all together because Tomoe indeed wanted to convince Madoka to become MG. But Homura didn't do that. Why? In fact she was trying to talk Mami out of it and convince her to leave Madoka alone, she was trying to find peaceful resolution - their conversation in the park. Right there, she could easily shoot Mami from behind and then, destroy her soul gem. But she didn't do that, instead she choose peaceful conversation. Again, why she choose peaceful approach if she don't give a damn about Mami, at all? And about Homura's reaction to Mami's death - this "oh, no" could be interpreted as both concern for Madoka, but also as a sign of grief after the loss of Tomoe. But this reaction is definitely there.

"Again Homura's motive behind saving Sayaka in the fight with Kyouko is to prevent a contract with Madoka and Kyuube. Kyuube was trying to get Madoka to help her friend, by interfering with the fight, Homura was able to rid the possibility of her becoming a magical girl to help Sayaka. She even explicitly states to Kyouko she will deal with Sayaka on her own."

About first fight, it's possible interpretation. But then she saved Sayaka's soul gem when Madoka, throw it off a bridge. And then she offered grief seed to Sayaka when she needed it. And yes, she told Kyoko that she will deal with Sayaka herself, exactly because she watned to protect Miki from Sakura - Kyoko was determined to kill Sayaka, but Homura could easily knock down Sayaka with one hit. That's why she didn't want Kyoko to fight Sayaka, and that's why she strike a deal with Kyoko - to protect Sayaka from harm.

"The 2nd time she doesn't save Sayaka, and even states to her that she doesn't care if she dies, right to her face. She only cares that the situation is hurting Madoka, and that's it. Sayaka herself even sees that Homura's motives aren't pure and caring to Sayaka, before Homura states so to confirm that."

If this would be completely true, then why she didn't just eliminated Sayaka, instead she offered her grief seed. It seems that she was threatening Sayaka and forcing her to accept help. If she wanted to shoot Sayaka, she would do that even before - there was plenty of opportunity to so. I want also to point out that, in this scene, Homura never aimed at Miki's soul gem.

"She shows a small amount of care towards Kyouko's death in the anime. It's unclear whether this is because she lost her partner to possibly bring down Walpurgisnacht, or because she actually cared about Kyouko, or possibly a combination of the two. Re-watching the episode it looks to me like she did have a small care for Kyouko herself, with a rather large emphasis on small."

You see, you admitted it! Homura had some emotional reaction when Kyoko died! Sakura would be completely useless against Walpurgisnacht - in TV series Kyoko couldn't even fly and if hundreds of rocket launchers and C4 explosives, fired simultaneously, couldn't put a dent in WN, then Kyoko's spear would be even more laughable ineffective. So it can't be about Sakura's help. Also Akemi saved Kyoko from Oktavia von Seckendorff. Again, why?

"Homura wasn't fighting to commemorate Madoka either, she was fighting to save her, and keep her by her side. Her wish was to protect Madoka, because Homura couldn't deal with Madoka's death, she couldn't emotionally handle it."

In the end of the series? Sure, she did! I'm referring to this: " I want to protect this world, since she wanted to protect it", or something like that.
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/image/winter2011/madoka_12_epilogue.jpg

This movie throw this message in the garbage. And in the end of TV series, Homura was happy with her new role.

And no, it was never about keeping Madoka by her side. In fact, in each timeline they grow more apart. And as I said if Homura was so obsessive and immoral that she didn't even respected Madoka's free will, then why she never abducted Madoka and transported her away from Mitakihara and keep her captive, until WN threat was over? And as I said - only reason why Homura was in love with Madoka, was because Madoka give Homura hope that Akemi will become more than just a mousy girl. And that hope come true. So Homura didn't need Madoka at all, anymore.

"The Homura before she traveled through time consistently was a good character, it's the Homura that traveled through time again and again that became cold and to a sense corrupted by watching her best friend die repeatedly, without a seemingly possible way to stop it. Now honestly I think if any of the other four went through this, they too could emerge as a different character entirely as well. They could possibly be very similar to Homura, possibly even completely evil, who's really to say? I don't view Homura as an "evil" character per say, but I certainly do view her as corrupted, and the corruption started after watching Madoka die over and over."

When, as I said appeal of characters like Homura and/or Kyoko comes from the fact that they seems evil but, they are just very traumatized. You know, appearances can be deceiving. Now this appeal is completely gone. :(
Tachikoma1701Dec 8, 2013 10:15 AM
Dec 8, 2013 11:32 AM

Dec 2009
Holy crap it's getting hard to quote

"Well, that's only one of possible interpretations, and I don't agree with it. In fact Homura could wanted to get rid off Mami, all together because Tomoe indeed wanted to convince Madoka to become MG. But Homura didn't do that. Why? In fact she was trying to talk Mami out of it and convince her to leave Madoka alone, she was trying to find peaceful resolution - their conversation in the park. Right there, she could easily shoot Mami from behind and then, destroy her soul gem. But she didn't do that, instead she choose peaceful conversation. Again, why she choose peaceful approach if she don't give a damn about Mami, at all? And about Homura's reaction to Mami's death - this "oh, no" could be interpreted as both concern for Madoka, but also as a sign of grief after the loss of Tomoe. But this reaction is definitely there."

For one, Homura doesn't seem to be able to beat Mami. Homura repeated those months many times, it's possible she has already tried to take Mami out and failed. This is pure speculation of course. Also even if she managed to kill Mami, it may cause more harm than good, as I'm sure Madoka or Sayuka would want revenge on Homura. The oh noe could have been grief for Mami, it's not impossible, by no means. I do however, feel that you would expect her to show more grief for her comrades death than she showed, but she didn't. It certainly seems like Homura is rather okay with living in a time line where Mami died.

"About first fight, it's possible interpretation. But then she saved Sayaka's soul gem when Madoka, throw it off a bridge. And then she offered grief seed to Sayaka when she needed it. And yes, she told Kyoko that she will deal with Sayaka herself, exactly because she watned to protect Miki from Sakura - Kyoko was determined to kill Sayaka, but Homura could easily knock down Sayaka with one hit. That's why she didn't want Kyoko to fight Sayaka, and that's why she strike a deal with Kyoko - to protect Sayaka from harm."

I don't feel as though she saved Sayaka's soul gem because she cared about Sayaka, but rather because it would hurt Madoka to see Sayuka die. Again I'm going to reference the part below where she said she didn't care about Sayaka, and threatened to kill her. It didn't seem like a threat out of care or consideration, there was no emotion or anything there, which would be typical if you threatened someone out of love, it would hurt you to threaten them. We won't know if it was more than a threat because Kyouko stepped in before Homura could try. Lastly when Sayaka did in fact die, she had absolutely no grief what so ever. She had so little grief that it actually pissed Kyouko off greatly.

"If this would be completely true, then why she didn't just eliminated Sayaka, instead she offered her grief seed. It seems that she was threatening Sayaka and forcing her to accept help. If she wanted to shoot Sayaka, she would do that even before - there was plenty of opportunity to so. I want also to point out that, in this scene, Homura never aimed at Miki's soul gem."

For the same reason she wouldn't want to eliminate Mami. It seems likely to me that it would cause more trouble than good.

"You see, you admitted it! Homura had some emotional reaction when Kyoko died! Sakura would be completely useless against Walpurgisnacht - in TV series Kyoko couldn't even fly and if hundreds of rocket launchers and C4 explosives, fired simultaneously, couldn't put a dent in WN, then Kyoko's spear would be even more laughable ineffective. So it can't be about Sakura's help. Also Akemi saved Kyoko from Oktavia von Seckendorff. Again, why? "

I don't think you are using "admitted" in the right context. I realized she had more of a reaction with Kyouko than I thought when I decided to re-watch the episode. There was not much grief, and the topic of Walpurgisnacht was brought up immediately after Kyuube's and Homura's conversation about Kyouko's death. If Homura had an attachment to Kyouko more than her being a partner to kill Walpurgisnacht, she didn't have the opportunity to say so. I'll certainly give Homura that.

I also do want to add that Homura has referenced to Madoka as "her only friend". Why she doesn't view the others as friends, I don't know, but that is Homura's exact words.

"In the end of the series? Sure, she did! I'm referring to this: " I want to protect this world, since she wanted to protect it", or something like that.
http://kurogane.animeblogger.net/image/winter2011/madoka_12_epilogue.jpg

This movie throw this message in the garbage. And in the end of TV series, Homura was happy with her new role."

Oh okay. Yea I can agree to that. But I feel like Homura herself through that in the garbage, not the movie. I view Homura as though she went through stages, and each stage there were drastic changes in her personality. Her first stage is the glasses stage and braids stage, where I feel she had much more comradery and care for others. The second stage is when she went through time over and over, and this caused her to have an obsession for Madoka above all else. Third stage would be the grief seed with it's new, we'll say "form", and her being evil.

"And no, it was never about keeping Madoka by her side. In fact, in each timeline they grow more apart. And as I said if Homura was so obsessive and immoral that she didn't even respected Madoka's free will, then why she never abducted Madoka and transported her away from Mitakihara and keep her captive, until WN threat was over? And as I said - only reason why Homura was in love with Madoka, was because Madoka give Homura hope that Akemi will become more than just a mousy girl. And that hope come true. So Homura didn't need Madoka at all, anymore."

Walpurgisnacht wasn't a storm or something that passes over, if they didn't kill it, it would destroy the entire world. That wouldn't have been an option for Homura. Homura at the end of the movie didn't respect Madoka's free will, when she seized her stating "I finally got you". The word finally rings out to me, I don't know if it does to you. It's as though that's what she wanted all this time. To me all of her actions throughout the enitre series certainly shows that. If what you saying was the case, that Homura would have been okay with Madoka's death ,she would have never wen through countless time lines to prevent Madoka's death, nor would this whole movie ever have happened.
Dec 8, 2013 1:18 PM

Jan 2011
I watched this yesterday night and now that I'm not as tired, I can give my thoughts on it.

I liked the movie but the I have mixed feelings toward the ending. I'll touch on this later as I want to start from the beginning.

When the movie started, I was relatively confused because it seemed like it was a timeline where everything was cannon like how Type Moon's is (except in this case, it's timelines, not routes). I heard it was a sequel to the movie but I had my doubts after hearing Moemura's high pitched voice (and Sayaka's, although I don't think this one was intentional), watching teamwork by everyone, and noticing Sayaka, who was supposed to not exist in Earth due to the Law of the Cycle.
I don't remember the opening now but I remember liking it. The Cake Song was pretty hilarious (No, I'm not! I'm a cheese!) I found it amusing that the Mami-cheese meme was taken by the staff.
By the time Homura and Kyouko couldn't go to Kyouko's city, I figured that the world was something that someone created. Everyone was working together, Mami had Charlotte, Kyouko and Sayaka are good friends with each other, and Madoka and Homura are good friends as well. Obviously,the creator couldn't be Kyouko as if she was , that city should exist.
Kyuubey acting really cute ("kyu~") was pretty chilling considering what he'd done previously. Charlotte was adorable ("I want cheese!") though. The fight scenes (Mami vs. Homura, specifically) was very well done.
The reveal that Homura was the creator of the witch barrier and something did happen after the epilogue of the series/movie was a shock to me. And Kyuubey revealing that he is the main antagonist (at this point) made me facepalm. Homura really shouldn't have talked about witches and Madoka to him in the newly restructured world. Incubators are definitely deceptive and such.
The Attack on Homura and Attack on QB of the story was enjoyable. I teared up in the Kyouko x Sayaka scene but I would have cried a bunch if I wasn't in public.
Then the plot twist happened. It caught me unexpected as I thought that Homura would be glad to be with Madoka for eternity.
I have mixed feelings have the ending because it didn't feel like a proper closure for me. I guess I expected someone to stop Homura or awaken Godoka. But I liked how the corruption of Homura's soul gem and her insanity after not seeing Madoka for so long lead to her action towards Godoka. She wanted to be with Madoka forever and ever, not with Godoka, who would be busy conducting the Law of the Cycle. Basically the events after the re-restructuring of the world were chilling. Sayaka was very likable in this movie (her stubbornness and idealism combined really annoyed me). I felt very sorry for her when she realized her miserable feelings toward the Kyousuke and Hitomi hookup. And Madoka. I basically freaked out when Homura suppressed Godoka from waking back up.

From what I've read, there are rumors/speculation/talk of a 4th movie. I know it's not confirmed (or at least officially, I think?) but can someone explain the situation of it? The ending was not entirely satisfying and if a 4th movie that ties everything together is planned, I can be happy with this series.

Also, I got Godoka for the goodies thing the theaters gave out. I was pretty depressed by it after the movie... I would like to rewatch this to catch more hints and details when the BDs are out.
Dec 8, 2013 3:26 PM

Nov 2013
Dragonblood21 said:
For one, Homura doesn't seem to be able to beat Mami. Homura repeated those months many times, it's possible she has already tried to take Mami out and failed. This is pure speculation of course. Also even if she managed to kill Mami, it may cause more harm than good, as I'm sure Madoka or Sayuka would want revenge on Homura. The oh noe could have been grief for Mami, it's not impossible, by no means. I do however, feel that you would expect her to show more grief for her comrades death than she showed, but she didn't. It certainly seems like Homura is rather okay with living in a time line where Mami died.

I don't feel as though she saved Sayaka's soul gem because she cared about Sayaka, but rather because it would hurt Madoka to see Sayuka die. Again I'm going to reference the part below where she said she didn't care about Sayaka, and threatened to kill her. It didn't seem like a threat out of care or consideration, there was no emotion or anything there, which would be typical if you threatened someone out of love, it would hurt you to threaten them. We won't know if it was more than a threat because Kyouko stepped in before Homura could try. Lastly when Sayaka did in fact die, she had absolutely no grief what so ever. She had so little grief that it actually pissed Kyouko off greatly.

For the same reason she wouldn't want to eliminate Mami. It seems likely to me that it would cause more trouble than good.

I don't think you are using "admitted" in the right context. I realized she had more of a reaction with Kyouko than I thought when I decided to re-watch the episode. There was not much grief, and the topic of Walpurgisnacht was brought up immediately after Kyuube's and Homura's conversation about Kyouko's death. If Homura had an attachment to Kyouko more than her being a partner to kill Walpurgisnacht, she didn't have the opportunity to say so. I'll certainly give Homura that.

I also do want to add that Homura has referenced to Madoka as "her only friend". Why she doesn't view the others as friends, I don't know, but that is Homura's exact words.

Oh okay. Yea I can agree to that. But I feel like Homura herself through that in the garbage, not the movie. I view Homura as though she went through stages, and each stage there were drastic changes in her personality. Her first stage is the glasses stage and braids stage, where I feel she had much more comradery and care for others. The second stage is when she went through time over and over, and this caused her to have an obsession for Madoka above all else. Third stage would be the grief seed with it's new, we'll say "form", and her being evil.

Walpurgisnacht wasn't a storm or something that passes over, if they didn't kill it, it would destroy the entire world. That wouldn't have been an option for Homura. Homura at the end of the movie didn't respect Madoka's free will, when she seized her stating "I finally got you". The word finally rings out to me, I don't know if it does to you. It's as though that's what she wanted all this time. To me all of her actions throughout the enitre series certainly shows that. If what you saying was the case, that Homura would have been okay with Madoka's death ,she would have never wen through countless time lines to prevent Madoka's death, nor would this whole movie ever have happened.

Well, sure Homura could kill Mami by shooting her from behind - again, watch scene when they are talking in the park, and see what I mean. And well, Madoka and Sayaka wouldn't even know what happened. As for Homura's reaction to Mami death - as I said is not a big reaction, but it's definitely there.

You said that: it would hurt Madoka to see Sayaka die... And then you claimed that Homura wanted to kill Sayaka for this same reason - to protect Madoka from harm. It's a contradiction: one of this statements must be false, and one must be correct, they can't be both true! As for Homura's emotions - she shows them very really. Even when she talk to Madoka, most of the times, she is emotionless, so lack of emotions is not a definite proof. And once more: Homura never targeted her weapon at Sayaka's soul gem - and we know for a fact that this is the only way to kill MG. I agree that she didn't had any reaction when Sayaka died, but in this same time she helped Kyoko to escape with Sayaka's body, and afterwards she asked Kyubey:" If there was any chance for Kyoko to save Sayaka Miki?" Why would she asked this question if she didn't cared about anyone besides Madoka?

You said that eliminating Sayaka would cause more trouble than good. OK, then once again I ask you: then why she supposedly watned to kill Sayaka when Miki refused to accept a grief seed? Either she thinks that eliminating Sayaka will cause harm to Madoka, or she thinks that it's OK, to kill Sayaka with cold blood. One or the other! And look at Homura's words: "Why are you doing this to your self? Why won't you trust me, can't you see I just want to help you?" Sure, when Sayaka refused to accept help, then Akemi started to threaten Sayaka, but this was only because she realized that different, more peaceful approach won't work.

Not much grief after Kyoko died... Not much, but it was there! And considering that Homura is not emotionally expressive person, it was a lot. And she asked Kyubey: if there was a chance that Kyoko could save Sayaka? Once again, why ask if she don't care? And as I said, in confrontation with Walpurgisnacht, Kyoko would be usless, so it's not concern about losing fighting partner.

Yes, Homura sees Madoka as her only, true friend because as I said Madoka is the only one who ever, give Akemi benefit of the doubt: no one ever listen to her. Also Madoka was giving Homura this hope, I was talking about earlier.

You said that Homura through final message of TV series in the garbage. But you see Akemi is fictional character, so I naturally blame authors of the movie for that. They practically ruined their own TV series, by making it completely irrelevant. In a way it was a reboot. In fact all of the positive messages from TV series lost their relevance. This: "You have to focus on the one thing that means to you the most, and protect it until the very end", is also is worthless, since this one, and only thing t can drive you crazy and turn you into a monster... That's why I'm not a fan of this movie - it's really mean-spirited.

You said: Walpurgisnacht wasn't a storm or something that passes over, if they didn't kill it, it would destroy the entire world... Wait, what??? They never said that in TV series, you just made it up! Gretchen could destroy the world, but not Walpurgis. And I'm sorry, but quoting a line from a movie, to support your theory, that Homura's development IN THE MOVIE, was believable is no the way to go, because no one should be judge in his own cause. If you would give me similar quote from TV series, then it's completely different story. And you know, there is a colossal difference between, wanting to save somebody's life and wanting to keep this person by your side, for the rest of your life. Two, entirely different things! Also Homura was not OK, with Madoka's death, because she made a promise to Madoka that she will keep her save. That was her motivation in TV series.
Tachikoma1701Dec 8, 2013 4:04 PM
Dec 8, 2013 8:37 PM
Oct 2007
You either die a hero or live long enough to rewrite the universe
End of Madokagelion?
Disappearance of Homura Akemi?
Dec 8, 2013 9:22 PM
Dec 2013
So, I watched it today (official sub) and there's only one part I really don't understand:

I think that's the largest crux the official subs have created. Noting the "rip" translations seem to be substantially different from what I've seen/heard this makes the intentions much more vague.
Dec 8, 2013 9:43 PM

Mar 2012
zinjashike said:
So, I watched it today (official sub) and there's only one part I really don't understand:

I think that's the largest crux the official subs have created. Noting the "rip" translations seem to be substantially different from what I've seen/heard this makes the intentions much more vague.

Could work either way. Will depend on how they choose to do it in the next movie or 2nd season.
Pages (21) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

» Series spoiler! Is the movie somehow related to the tv series?

Alfreda02 - Sep 23, 2022

11 by daibayuus »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.